PDA

View Full Version : Question Why is Captain Ukitake always sick?

REN KOUEN
February 21, 2012, 01:48 AM
it must be a pretty nasty disease or something for a shinigami it and not be able to shake it

i know they mentioned that byakuya's wife (rukia's sister) also died of illness i believe....

tret16
February 21, 2012, 01:59 AM
From the symptoms he has shown so far, my guess would have to be a type of blood illness. maybe around the lines of cancer. It seems to hit him more often then normal and it doesn't look like it make him throw up. it just takes his energy. Either that, or it's probably just that he has a very bad immune system, like a low white blood cell count or something around those lines.

Sollum
February 21, 2012, 04:08 PM
It's not easy being Hollow with a fully removed mask.

REN KOUEN
February 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
It's not easy being Hollow with a fully removed mask.

:gwah

either you know something i dont or you are trolling

:mono

thornofcarrion
March 02, 2012, 01:21 PM
Ukitake's sickness is something that has always bothered me. Why can't it be cured or him be healed? With brains like Urahara or Mayuri or others, why he is in this condition? I have often wondered if it is meant to have more significance than we imagined.

MissMinako
March 04, 2012, 03:18 PM
I thought I read somewhere that, as a child, Ukitake suffered from tuberculosis and was never able to fully recover from it.

Miyagi
March 08, 2012, 05:11 AM
Ukitake has always been like that, I guess he has some sort of genetic defect which can't be fixed even by Inoue. His illness played an important role in Rukia's flashback with Kaien, I doubt it'll have more significance in the story other than the fact that Rukia will have to assume more responsibility in the division, which may prove critical if Ukitake gets sick at the wrong time.

Rikkaidai94
July 02, 2012, 08:00 PM
He has been sick since he was a child if I remember right. It's called tuberculosis and he just never recovered from itor something like that

bleach fan 101
July 08, 2012, 12:48 AM
He has been sick since he was a child if I remember right. It's called tuberculosis and he just never recovered from itor something like that

where did it say that, can you post a link?

Miyagi
July 08, 2012, 04:18 AM
To the best of my knowledge, it has never been mentioned that it was tuberculosis but since he was coughing out blood, many people thought it was the most likely reason. We know that he was sick even when he was in shinigami academy, it's safe to assume that it's an inborn disease, tuberculosis, on the other hand, is an infectious disease. I don't think Ukitake's illness resembles anything that is known to man.

R3D
July 08, 2012, 06:07 AM
Ukitake is too haxed with the ladies so somebody decided to make him sick so that the other guys have a chance :derp

bleach fan 101
July 08, 2012, 06:34 AM
Ukitake is too haxed with the ladies so somebody decided to make him sick so that the other guys have a chance :derp

Kyouraku could have done it so he could chase the ladies :P

REN KOUEN
July 09, 2012, 07:49 AM
Ukitake's sickness is something that has always bothered me. Why can't it be cured or him be healed? With brains like Urahara or Mayuri or others, why he is in this condition? I have often wondered if it is meant to have more significance than we imagined.

well from what i remember rukia's older sister, who was married to byakuya, also died of some type of sickness

so apparantly there are some sicknesses that the shinigami cannot combat even with their advanced technology and healing abilities

Raizen
July 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
I think the disease might have a significant meaning. If anyone read Deeper Samurai kyo, you would understand. The sickness.could be due to a strange reactive reiatsu or that ukitake is not a complete shinigami in a sense. Honestly after reading.bits of the bleach novel about Kubo putting in hints, i would.not.be surprised

0Xellos
July 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
I think it's just that his immunity's bad... he seems like the type to get sick easily

kamo113
August 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
He has had an unidentified lung disease since childhood- it is what made his hair turn white.

freshseth83
August 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
If that's the case, I guess Hitsugaya has it also? I never read that bit about his hair being white because of his illness.

ILikeSleeping
August 12, 2012, 09:37 PM
Imagine if one of the Sternritter used Scravelei on him and absorbed him. Wonder if they'd get his illness?

Sternritter: I will absorb you and use your powers to slaughter your beloved comrades!

Ukitake: Jokes on you, I have Tuberculosis (or whatever he has). :XD

Sternritter: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! :gwah

------------------Moments later-------------------

Buckbeard: What's the matter? You are looking a bit pale, didn't you read the data?

Sternritter:...

0Xellos
August 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
ILikeSleeping: Yeah, and Ukitake's bankai must be shooting snot at the enemies and coughing at a distance :D

DarkBankai
October 08, 2012, 09:53 AM
interesting posts- but-
SS is the land of spirits. the captains and everyone else there are already dead.
As such I find it strange that any of them could get sick... but I guess its not that huge of a stretch since they also eat.

Perhaps what he is suffering from is not an actual sickness but something that he encountered while in SS or Hueco mundo or wherever that he has yet to fully recover from. possible things I came up with,:
1: science experiment gone horribly wrong,

2:or he could be undergoing a form of reiatsu dialasis to remove a contaminant or impurity that he was infected with during a previous fight that we have not seen. -- This would be not to large of a stretch, since he seems to get better from time to time, Perhaps he has a remnant of something that is actively poisoning his spirit. could be an old wound. and every so often the research and development dept filters his blood, leaving him woozy and ill for a couple days but then hes fine again.

3:perhaps our traits from life are carried over into SS. so If we suffered from allergies or asthma then we would also have that in SS. perhaps its inherent to our spirit and not just a physical symptom because well in SS theres not really bodies right?

just some thoughts.

BrunoGF
October 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
Just because SS is the "land of the spirits" doesn't mean that everyone is always healthy and immortal. Everyone there has their own spiritual bodies which can get old (slower than in the human world, as seen with Yamamoto), sick (Ukitake), they need to eat, they need to sleep. Damn, spiritual bodies even have their own soul (Hakushi).

Maybe there's no special reason for him to being sick, just to give Shiba more time "on screen".

shahdan
October 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
I myself have never grasped his illness. They can create artificial souls but they can't cure his illness? Seems strange to me.

0Xellos
October 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Actually, Kon and his buddies were modified souls, they just took normal ones and enhanced them. At least souls can't be created in Bleach.

There being an incurable disease it understandable. Take a look at our world - modern science can do a damn lot of things, even manipulating genetic stuff, but there are still incurable diseases (there are just medicines that make them slow down sufficiently), and there's a lot to be discovered.

shahdan
October 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Actually, Kon and his buddies were modified souls, they just took normal ones and enhanced them. At least souls can't be created in Bleach.

There being an incurable disease it understandable. Take a look at our world - modern science can do a damn lot of things, even manipulating genetic stuff, but there are still incurable diseases (there are just medicines that make them slow down sufficiently), and there's a lot to be discovered.

yes, I am aware of that. It is still modification of an ethereal form with no physical traits. I call it an immense feat. If they can do this, then finding a cure for a disease seems a much lesser feat.

g0dzax
October 15, 2012, 02:26 AM
Well,it could also be because of his own power.Just like Ichigo lost his powers in FGT (yeah...lost...) and just like Yama-jii was slowly burning SS when he activated Bankai,maybe when Ukitake releases his Bankai it affects him,I dunno how but his disease would come from his very own power,and that would explain why there's no healing it.

Bajan4eva1
October 15, 2012, 10:54 AM
Well,it could also be because of his own power.Just like Ichigo lost his powers in FGT (yeah...lost...) and just like Yama-jii was slowly burning SS when he activated Bankai,maybe when Ukitake releases his Bankai it affects him,I dunno how but his disease would come from his very own power,and that would explain why there's no healing it.

Nice...not a bad idea. His own power would cause his illness. A double edged sword so to say.

shahdan
October 15, 2012, 02:00 PM

That is an interesting theory. But I would love the manga to elaborate on it a bit. It seems silly that his sickness is an unknown factor when it plays a major part in his over all demeanour.

Saint Markus
October 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
sick or not, Ukitake was able to hold his own against Stark in his "release state". I think, Kubo will reveal more about Ukitake's illness in another "Pendulum Arc" or something similar to it.