PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach 259 Review By Gigantor21

gigantor21
January 19, 2007, 03:11 PM
259. Flicker Flames

That…was rather underwhelming.

After a 2 week hiatus, Bleach’s return chapter basically followed the format in the last 2 fights to a tee, this time with Chad coming up to bat. Hell, Gantiban is an even less interesting Privaron than Chirucchi was when she was first introduced—and has the worst design of all 3, to be frank.

The only real bright spot in the chapter for me was the very end, since we finally get to see what Chad’s arm looks like in its complete form. That’s all I can credit the chapter for, though. It didn’t feel like it was worth the 2 week wait. I’m really looking forward to the next chapter to see what Chad’s capable of, but to be frank, I’ve lost hope for this arc.

Rating – 2.5/5

If not for the Right Arm of The Giant, it would’ve gotten a 2—but it definitely doesn’t deserve a 3.

Silhouette
January 19, 2007, 08:27 PM
First of all thanks for the review :)

um if I may write my thoughts, with all due respect to your review, Gantiban hasn't released yet to be able to compare him to Cirucci and Dor. His Zanpaktu, however, is interesting because it doesn't take the form of a katana but rather am electrical shocker.
Besides the format of this fight isn't really the same as Ishida. Ishida pulled his winning card after Cirucci's release while Chad's arm transformed before Mosqueda's release. So I am on the look out for more Sado power transformation in the next chapter

gigantor21
January 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
Well, I was comparing the way the characters acted, not so much their powers--which they all differ greatly in. That's what I had a problem with, because Kubo showed us from the get-go what kind of characters they were. None of them are going to get much face time, after all.

I guess the reason I was so harsh with this chapter is because I expected more after the hiatus. But it ended up just reading like any other chapter from the past 3 months. That really dampened the anticipation of seeing Chad's complete arm for the first time, because it seems like everything is going to happen next chapter instead. And I don't like restarting series with lukewarm entries.

Toda350Z
January 19, 2007, 09:26 PM
I agree gigantor21, this chapter was decent but we knew what to expect.
Chad better have a second release, it would be lame if he didn't.
I also guess the execution squad is going to finish off each ex espada after they lose, oh well sucks for them.

Silhouette
January 19, 2007, 09:29 PM
it seems like everything is going to happen next chapter instead.

lol I understand, but isn't it the same with all mangas? even seinen (Zetman for example)

That really dampened the anticipation of seeing Chad's complete arm for the first time

I would have loved to see Chad crushing an Espada with his full arm debut but Chad is slow if you remember how we discussed that and talked about his encounter with GJ squad. wouldn't you agree that Chad had to gain more power and had to do it now (considering his 1st encounter with Arrancars)?

Athena
January 22, 2007, 04:00 AM
Hi gigantor21!

i'm done with my review for chapters 255, 256, 257 and 258. all in one review with some pictures. i don't know how or where to post them. can you help me with this?

juUnior
January 22, 2007, 01:25 PM
Defiently agree on that aspect of chapter. If it wasn't for Chad's power boost in arm in the end, it would be boring. .. Or no, the fight which was shown was queite interesting.. but i don;t mean Chad beieng punchbag (because it alwas like that with stronger opoonets, and hopefully it will be not this time) but attacking of that afro arrancar, it was queite interesting how he deal punches with super speed to Chad :D

Athena
January 22, 2007, 01:57 PM
ah man it's been almost 2 days since i am asking EVERONE "how can I post my review" and no answer yet. it's so damn frustrating. does anybody even read my posts?! HELLLLOOOOO

gigantor21
January 22, 2007, 02:14 PM
ah man it's been almost 2 days since i am asking EVERONE "how can I post my review" and no answer yet. it's so damn frustrating. does anybody even read my posts?! HELLLLOOOOO

I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I just got back! Geez...

Anyway, all you have to do is make a new thread for them. Personally, I think it'd be better if you posted them seperately, but it's really up to you.

Have you uploaded all the pictures to a image hosting site yet? I can help you with all that if you haven't.

Athena
January 22, 2007, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I just got back! Geez...

Anyway, all you have to do is make a new thread for them. Personally, I think it'd be better if you posted them seperately, but it's really up to you.

Have you uploaded all the pictures to a image hosting site yet? I can help you with all that if you haven't.

Sure, I’ll post them separately. if you want I can send you the final version which is a .doc file by email so you can check it and see if it's ok or not.
I didn't know I have to upload all the pictures, that's really pain!

gigantor21
January 22, 2007, 02:24 PM
Sure, I’ll post them separately. if you want I can send you the final version which is a .doc file by email so you can check it and see if it's ok or not.

Haha, yeah--that's why I don't use pictures. I'm just too lazy...

And I'd love to read them. Send them to gigantor21@aol.com, and I'll check them out.

kiddo7
January 22, 2007, 02:26 PM

If you use Photobucket.com you can upload up to 20 pictures simultaneously and it will give you the code you need to past into your post to make the pics appear. Good luck getting your work out!

ttxdragon
January 22, 2007, 02:41 PM
let's not get too far carried away please, there are cases that can be solved per pm better ^^

for the review:
i agree that this chapter was kinda anti-climatic if you expected something big to happen because of the "hiatus"...
i didn't really do that - it was not a hiatus chosen by Kubo Tite for material gathering or other stuff but holiday from work given by Shueisha Inc.

for the chapter in itself, i thought it was quite interesting...
first off chirucchis reaction to the execution squad. It had something like "Why the hell didn't he kill me, i don't want what they will do to me."
this gets further emphasized by them this time not going with the order to get the intruder, but going ahead to do something with her. no mentioning of the intruder is the first detail that got my eye on that one. Somehow i question that the one who sent the squad this time is the same person as the one that sent it for ichigo. Or Aizen altered the orders...

Ishida seemed his usual self, although that he did not kill her somehow leaves a new facette to him. He isn't hell-bend on killing all hollows/arrancar anymore as he was before he got the powers back.

then, on to chads fight.
the note i made here was that chad had no (useless) support in this fight as ishida had and no useful like ichigo had...
he fought with his usual standard attire... no surprise there.
the first interesting thing is that his arrancars style has something to do with sound - in ishidas fight chirucchis ability was a hint on Ishidas SeelenSchneider.... take a guess here, it could imply something.
the next thing is the "it feels different here" thingie. this in my book lets us know that he indeed has hollow-style powers that get affected by the spiritual density around him. that it feels different just makes it sound like he is most likely a hell of a lot more powerful than he was when training with renji although we don't know how good and strong he was there it should be quite a feat.
then there is the point that the arrancar has a mentality similar to the one of dorudini. he searches for full-power battles, although he wants the enemy to go all-out first and then react. his motive could be interesting.
the point of him not going all-out brings me to the next point,
chad released a new "stage" of power before the enemy released, this is quite atypical for the fights in HM until now. makes you wonder if chad will get a second boost or if he will get support from a force that followed them (urahara and tatsuki anyone? or the vaizards? or do we get isshin's second shinigami appearance?)

all in all i would give this chapter a 8/10 because it gives so many more subtle hints on something important to come and not to forget chads awesome armor extension :D

i think this chapter is quite the good chapter for a "old fight end/new fight start" chapter.

dfcarolinaguy
January 22, 2007, 06:38 PM
I agree with you gigantor this chapter was a big let down but remember after chad we will most likely get to see rukia, and that always worth reading lol

Silhouette
January 22, 2007, 08:03 PM
the first interesting thing is that his arrancars style has something to do with sound - in ishidas fight chirucchis ability was a hint on Ishidas SeelenSchneider.... take a guess here,

I can't think of something..KT is very creative when it comes to powers but I thought Chad's speed has been an issue before and it is finally addressed clearly in this Chapter...so I am anticipating enhancement in speed.

chad released a new "stage" of power before the enemy released, this is quite atypical for the fights in HM until now. makes you wonder if chad will get a second boost or if he will get support from a force that followed them (urahara and tatsuki anyone? or the vaizards? or do we get isshin's second shinigami appearance?)

My thoughts exactly but I doubt any one else will get involved though. Urahara hasn't shown the habit of operating outside the material world, Isshin and Ishida senior's attitude's toward is their sons doesn't make me expect their involvements and the Visoreds follow isolation policy. I, however, think Renji and Rukia brought something(s) that will help from SS. But at the end it's just my speculations.

all in all i would give this chapter a 8/10 because it gives so many more subtle hints on something important to come and not to forget chads awesome armor extension :D
i think this chapter is quite the good chapter for a "old fight end/new fight start" chapter.

Seems fair.

ttxdragon
January 23, 2007, 03:48 AM
I can't think of something..KT is very creative when it comes to powers but I thought Chad's speed has been an issue before and it is finally addressed clearly in this Chapter...so I am anticipating enhancement in speed.

yeah, i can't think of anything specific either, but that chad will get a massive speedboost is kinda a given... and your right, kubo is definitely creative when it comes to powers :)

My thoughts exactly but I doubt any one else will get involved though. Urahara hasn't shown the habit of operating outside the material world, Isshin and Ishida senior's attitude's toward is their sons doesn't make me expect their involvements and the Visoreds follow isolation policy. I, however, think Renji and Rukia brought something(s) that will help from SS. But at the end it's just my speculations.
that could hold true with renji and rukia bringing something... although i don't think they will aid chad's fight... rukia has a special role in this arc-part, renji has his own problems and that he has a hollow following him around kinda makes him one of those "get your own fight" persons....
i still think that renji and rukia are somehow in aizens calculations as they are two disposable regular shinigami... so i think rukia and renji are out of the support-possibilities...
i hope that we get tatsuki and keigo with urahara as support :) and yoruichi to inform SS about the exact stuff before she follows :)

and one more thing Silhoutte:
thanks for even really considering the worth of more subtle hints in a chapter...

gigantor21
January 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
Those are fighting words, ttxdragon. Step outside.

Seriously, though, I know where you're coming from. But when I first started reading Bleach on a week to week basis (when Ichigo vs. Byakuya III started), the chapters were both fun to read on a shallow level and compelling in what the details hinted at. But 258 was proof that I can't get into the chapter if it doesn't at least meet the first condition--the particulars of Seelen Schnider were given weight because of how Ishida used them to completely wreck Chirruchi.

I guess it all really boils down to whether I think the chapter holds weight on its own. There have been plenty of times when the "hints in the details" were never touched on again, or were unimportant in the long run.

Gold Knight
January 24, 2007, 02:28 AM
I was away for a while, too. Sorry inana for not noticing your private message sooner.

Well, gigantor21. I just got back into Bleach recently... read the last three chapters in one go. M7's doing a great job of cleaning these chapters and I think I get a better feel of what Tite Kubo is trying to do when the chapters aren't quite such a pain to read.

Yeah I suppose I could have expected more after the hiatus, but I really didn't. Tite Kubo seems to be quite content with the story pattern he's currently writing right now, so I guess you could say I've just resigned myself to it. It's obvious we're supposed to see each of Ichigo's team fight their own battles, and also get to know their unusual allies better, respectively. So first we had Ichigo, then Ishida, and now Chad. So to say I actually liked this chapter is probably because I pretty much expected it to be Chad's time to show his stuff. And that Tite Kubo decided not to be too secretive about Chad's power right off the bat, I was glad about, at least.

I don't care about Gantiban - but I didn't care about Dorudoni or Chirucchi either. These guys can all go away forever for all I care. They're cannon fodder. They're meant to exploit the abilities of Ichigo's team and to show them just how outclassed they really are compared to the Espada. That's all.

What I'll be more interested in is when Renji and Rukia show up and do their own battles, and then what happens after that.

All that being said, Chad is one of my favorite characters so I was pleased that at least Tite Kubo didn't bypass him with this chapter, and his power makes sense as support to Ichigo's "sword," and Ishida's "bow" too. Of course, you could say Orihime was the "shield," so now I guess we've got two shields...

gigantor21
January 24, 2007, 09:15 AM
I was away for a while, too. Sorry inana for not noticing your private message sooner.

Well, gigantor21. I just got back into Bleach recently... read the last three chapters in one go. M7's doing a great job of cleaning these chapters and I think I get a better feel of what Tite Kubo is trying to do when the chapters aren't quite such a pain to read.

Yeah I suppose I could have expected more after the hiatus, but I really didn't. Tite Kubo seems to be quite content with the story pattern he's currently writing right now, so I guess you could say I've just resigned myself to it. It's obvious we're supposed to see each of Ichigo's team fight their own battles, and also get to know their unusual allies better, respectively. So first we had Ichigo, then Ishida, and now Chad. So to say I actually liked this chapter is probably because I pretty much expected it to be Chad's time to show his stuff. And that Tite Kubo decided not to be too secretive about Chad's power right off the bat, I was glad about, at least.

I don't care about Gantiban - but I didn't care about Dorudoni or Chirucchi either. These guys can all go away forever for all I care. They're cannon fodder. They're meant to exploit the abilities of Ichigo's team and to show them just how outclassed they really are compared to the Espada. That's all.

What I'll be more interested in is when Renji and Rukia show up and do their own battles, and then what happens after that.

All that being said, Chad is one of my favorite characters so I was pleased that at least Tite Kubo didn't bypass him with this chapter, and his power makes sense as support to Ichigo's "sword," and Ishida's "bow" too. Of course, you could say Orihime was the "shield," so now I guess we've got two shields...

I agree with you 100%. The pattern to the last few chapters seems to have been decided long before any of us knew about it, so it's not realistic to expect change until after the three of them fight. That's exactly why I've rated almost all of the chapters since I started reviewing again as "passable"-- because I hate how the format has been put into practice.

What gets on my nerves the most is that the first fight in the arc--Ishida and Uryuu's tag team match with Demoura and Iceringer--was pretty cool. I liked the tactical aspect of it, as well as the fact that we got to see Ishida and Chad's new powers in action. The fact that the fight was fun to read was the key, since the fight wasn't important.

That's what the problem with the last few fights has been--the arc has been dedicated almost entirely to fighting since they got into Las Noches, but for the most part, the fights haven't been exciting. And since the fights aren't that important, the "excitement factor" is all that determines whether the chapters are good.