PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Who is Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp?

Page356
March 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
So there's pretty much a 99.9% chance that Luffy is going to be Pirate King. So if Gol D Roger is to Luffy, than Whitebeard is to...? Albeit at first I thought it was gonna be Ace, but obviously that can't be the case these days, so who's it gonna be? Who's gonna be the next Garp?

Personally I think it's gonna be Buggy. Buggy is the longest reoccuring pirate and has made it all the way to the entrance of the NW. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in dumb luck, a useful DF, and plenty of strong friends last we checked. The way Buggy is always getting the run around on his treasure hunting, I can't help but think that he might actually stumble upon some huge treasure that could be mistaken for OP by the rest of the world. I'd even guess that he's going to make it all the way to Raftel the same time or a little after Luffy does. It's all speculation of course, but that's my opinion. I don't think I could swallow it if it happened to be a supernova or Shanks.

As for Garp, I know there's a lot of Smoker fans out there, but I'm a firm believer in Colby. The dude has been around longer than Smoker, and made much more progress than Smoker. I'm not saying Smoker didn't progress, but Colby was quite possibly the weakest main character ever introduced, and now he knows some of the same techniques as CP9 as well as haki. I'm sure he's made great strides since, perhaps even becoming a vice admiral or admiral.

M3J
March 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
I think for Luffy's pirate rival, it could be Trafalgar Law or Blackbeard. Buggy is just too hard to take seriously, in my opinion. With Whitebeard, you knew he was powerful and could kick ass. Blackbeard is recently one of the most powerful, and Law's powerful and badass as well.

Hard to believe Smoker will be the Garp to luffy, but even Garp and Roger were friends or respected each other. Could be Colby, but I'm not sure if he's strong enough to take on Luffy since he knows just what kind of guy Luffy is. I could see Akainu being the Garp and possibly slowly changing for the better after seeing what Luffy does. Unless he's that deeply rooted in his belief of what justice is.

kkck
March 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
I doubt it will be BB. The issue with that is pretty much that luffy has to defeat him within the manga timeline while such other relations would have more long time implications. As for his WB, I have to go for kid for the most part. Kid is brutal, he messes with yonko and has an awesome fruit which in extreme situations could level entire battlefields. With law I would argue his relation would be more along the lines of love hate between mihawk and shanks. His garp would obviously be either coby or smoker. I would perhaps lean more towards smoker though. Smoker is the one more likely to continually chase after luffy, smoker is the one who would refrain from advancing in the ranks to have the freedom to chase luffy, smoker is the one who would most likely form a friendship of sorts with luffy due to their neverending fights. Coby on the other hand is already luffy's friend and more importantly he is more likely to take an admiral positon (when he is finally offered one) than smoker.

karamm
March 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
A pirate rival I'd have to say it's Law. Whitebeard and Roger were rivals and yet they somehow had respect for one another. Law saving Luffy shows that he has some sort of respect for Luffy, and Luffy respects anyone that helps him (saves his life) as we've seen on Amazon Lily.

As for a marine rival, I agree with you, it has to be Colby. He hasnt been taken under Garp's wing for no reason. However, I dont think he's at Smoker's level yet. Maybe he holds a rank of commodore, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he was vice admiral already.

I think Blackbeard resembles Shiki. They're both "evil" and Shiki seemed to have an advantage (power) over Roger at some point the same way Blackbeard has an advantage over Luffy.

M3J
March 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
The main reason why I think BB would be like WB is because he's shown to be extremely difficult to kill. Not sure if shichibukai can continue being pirates, though, which is why I'm on the rocks about Law. Kidd would be a decent rival, but Luffy's fightin style would give him an advantage if Kidd's DF ability is ability to attract and repel magnets.

beck26
March 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
luffy wont follow the exact same story as roger-whitebeard-garp.

coz if you have luffy's garp, you also have to give luffy's sengoku which is basically garp's partner...you also need to provide luffy's tsuru, shiki, etc.

imo the only similarities roger and luffy had is their personalities and their will...plus the ability to hear all things.

but that doesnt mean that everything that happened to roger must happen to luffy...i think its ridiculous and makes luffy's story so boring and predictable...
i find it funny that everything that happens to luffy is connected to roger by some people...its pretty obvious lufy got his own story and roger got his own...its pretty lame imo.

by the way, luffy's garp according to some guys...which is smoker, had been buttkicked by law easily....i doubt this is garp. luffy may have some similarities to roger but they dont share the same fate. smh.

mattiaildivino
March 30, 2012, 09:53 AM
luffy's garp should be smoker,whereas aokiji will be the fleet admiral,that is a sengoku/kong to Roger. about pirates...I think bugy may become that,since BB is trash and he will be his worst and most evil enemy. it's also possible that luffy won't have this kind of relationship with other pirates.

Page356
March 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
Aokiji probably would make a good Sengoku parallel now that I think about it. As for the Garp position I guess most people tend to think Smoker over Colby? I choose Colby but I can definitely understand why others think Smoker since he shuns promotions and doesn't pussy foot around as much as Colby.

As for Law, I may actually change my opinion on him an agree since I read some other predictions not too long ago that he may actually be Sabo. That would actually give him an edge over Buggy for me since the main reason I picked Buggy was that he is the most likely to get closest to One Piece besides Luffy in my opinion. I don't think he's that strong or anything, I just believe he's likely to get stuck with Luffy at some point near the end (not as a crew member) and if Luffy had to die or anything (not sure I believe that one, but just in case he did) I think Buggy would be Pirate King just for comedic effect.

@beck26 I would like to say something about the parallelisms. It doesn't matter if you don't agree there is a Whitebeard or Garp for Luffy because, simply put, there is but luckily that reach doesn't neccesarily extend to other characters, just mostly the important ones. Whether the task is taken by a single character or multiple characters, those plot devices pretty much have to exist in any timeline in the One Piece universe for a strong good guy pirate character. I think it would be easier if I said, "Who's Luffy's good-guy pirate rival? This guy may also be really strong, friends with Luffy, or close to finding OP." or "Which marine do you think acts as a recurrent moral character that views Luffy as a friend as well as an enemy?" Any pirate would have to worry about those positions as well as the "bad guy" enemy versions as well. I don't believe this affects the originiality as most every story is not "what happens", but rather "how it happens". If we were to get rid of all inspirations and parallelisms then we would have to remove the Straw Hat itself, the Will of D, and any character based off real life persons. While I do agree Roger and Luffy each have their own story, I think certain parts of that story will have to match to some degree, after all, how many paths lead to One Piece? I think just based on your post we can see how much originiality there can be in a story where so many plot devices are reused. Please don't take offense to this as I do enjoy reading almost all of your posts.

mattiaildivino
March 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
Aokiji probably would make a good Sengoku parallel now that I think about it. As for the Garp position I guess most people tend to think Smoker over Colby? I choose Colby but I can definitely understand why others think Smoker since he shuns promotions and doesn't pussy foot around as much as Colby.

As for Law, I may actually change my opinion on him an agree since I read some other predictions not too long ago that he may actually be Sabo. That would actually give him an edge over Buggy for me since the main reason I picked Buggy was that he is the most likely to get closest to One Piece besides Luffy in my opinion. I don't think he's that strong or anything, I just believe he's likely to get stuck with Luffy at some point near the end (not as a crew member) and if Luffy had to die or anything (not sure I believe that one, but just in case he did) I think Buggy would be Pirate King just for comedic effect.

@beck26 I would like to say something about the parallelisms. It doesn't matter if you don't agree there is a Whitebeard or Garp for Luffy because, simply put, there is but luckily that reach doesn't neccesarily extend to other characters, just mostly the important ones. Whether the task is taken by a single character or multiple characters, those plot devices pretty much have to exist in any timeline in the One Piece universe for a strong good guy pirate character. I think it would be easier if I said, "Who's Luffy's good-guy pirate rival? This guy may also be really strong, friends with Luffy, or close to finding OP." or "Which marine do you think acts as a recurrent moral character that views Luffy as a friend as well as an enemy?" Any pirate would have to worry about those positions as well as the "bad guy" enemy versions as well. I don't believe this affects the originiality as most every story is not "what happens", but rather "how it happens". If we were to get rid of all inspirations and parallelisms then we would have to remove the Straw Hat itself, the Will of D, and any character based off real life persons. While I do agree Roger and Luffy each have their own story, I think certain parts of that story will have to match to some degree, after all, how many paths lead to One Piece? I think just based on your post we can see how much originiality there can be in a story where so many plot devices are reused. Please don't take offense to this as I do enjoy reading almost all of your posts.

lol Smoker was promoted from captain to rear admiral,and now he is a vice-admiral. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2546-15/one-piece/chapter-439.html . till now,he hasn't refused a promotion yet.

beck26
March 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
i dont see aokiji as sengoku....aokiji is not even in the marines anymore...clutching for straws eh? buggy as whitbeard? wow....

again, luffy's only similarity to roger is the personality and will of D traits. they dont share the same fate...it would be too boring, predictable and redundant to base everything that roger had to luffy.

i dont condone comparing or parallelisms as i do many things like this...but not like this...oda is a genius for slipping subtle parallelisms and patterns.

but placing blatant and obvious parallelisms is not cool...especially if people assume it ALWAYS the case. like people thinking luffy is garp's reincarnation...its pretty lame and weak imo.

i even heard....

luffy will die by execution too becoz thats what happened to roger!!!
roger mustve had the rubber fruit too!!!
luffy will grow a moustache when he gets old too!!!
chopper is crocus!!!
nami is shakky!!

WTF is happening to one piece then??? same things happening to roger and luffy and everything between them is connected???????

mattiaildivino
March 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
i dont see aokiji as sengoku....aokiji is not even in the marines anymore...clutching for straws eh? buggy as whitbeard? wow....

again, luffy's only similarity to roger is the personality and will of D traits. they dont share the same fate...it would be too boring, predictable and redundant to base everything that roger had to luffy.

i dont condone comparing or parallelisms as i do many things like this...but not like this...oda is a genius for slipping subtle parallelisms and patterns.

but placing blatant and obvious parallelisms is not cool...especially if people assume it ALWAYS the case. like people thinking luffy is garp's reincarnation...its pretty lame and weak imo.

i even heard....

luffy will die by execution too becoz thats what happened to roger!!!
roger mustve had the rubber fruit too!!!
luffy will grow a moustache when he gets old too!!!
chopper is crocus!!!
nami is shakky!!

WTF is happening to one piece then??? same things happening to roger and luffy and everything between them is connected???????
it's quite predictable that,wehn rufy will kick akainu's ass,aokiji will become the new fleet admiral,and the marines won't be so hostile towards the pirate king,as rufy will make the world better.

beck26
March 30, 2012, 03:13 PM
still...how would aokiji becomes luffy's sengoku when he's not even trailing luffy??? and he's not even partnered with smoker (which is luffy's garp...that is not as strong as garp as displayed by law)....im not even sure aokiji is the fleet admiral if akainu vanishes...

who is tsuru then??? tashigi? pleeeeeeeease

Page356
March 30, 2012, 04:08 PM
You are grasping at more and more minor characters. I believe you may have completely missed my point on some issues....I'll try to break it down even more:

Luffy = Strongest good pirate at end of One Piece so.....Who's gonna be number 2 good pirate? Buggy is not strong, I agree, but he has luck and is influential at this point and I don't really view him as an "evil" character any more. History could quite possibly paint him to seem like WB.

Garp = good marine character that tries to capture and is on some level, a friend to the strongest good pirate. Who is is the good marine in this case who is his constant rival? Smoker or Coby obviously.

I don't think I can simplify it anymore, but that's how it is. Using Aokiji as a comparison to Sengoku is a stretch, but entirely possible, especially if Aokiji would have won. After all, things are PARALLEL as opposed to being EXACTLY THE SAME.

The fact of the matter is, because of what Luffy is, he is going to have a top good marine rival, top bad marine rival, top good pirate rival, and top bad pirate rival because of what he wants to do and how he is as a person, which is very similiar to Roger. Yes, there may be tons of prospects for those positions but there are definitely major forces that fill those positions better than others. Bringing up characters like Tashigi is a cheap way to prove a point. They are minor characters with little impact on the overall plot and there is no way to go back in time to even see if a similar person in a similar position existed.

FetherMan
March 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
the closest to Garp, honestly would have to be "Jinbe".

the cloest to Whitebeard would be either "Trafalgar Law" or "Captain Kidd". as far as "rivalry" is concern.
can't really say though, at this point, but that's my closet opinion on the subject right now.

hyper_megaman
March 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
i'd call coby the garp equivalent

he's catching up rapidly, considering luffy started out superhuman when coby was a normal wimpy kid

i think he will match luffy soon

beck26
March 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
You are grasping at more and more minor characters. I believe you may have completely missed my point on some issues....I'll try to break it down even more:

Luffy = Strongest good pirate at end of One Piece so.....Who's gonna be number 2 good pirate? Buggy is not strong, I agree, but he has luck and is influential at this point and I don't really view him as an "evil" character any more. History could quite possibly paint him to seem like WB.

Garp = good marine character that tries to capture and is on some level, a friend to the strongest good pirate. Who is is the good marine in this case who is his constant rival? Smoker or Coby obviously.

I don't think I can simplify it anymore, but that's how it is. Using Aokiji as a comparison to Sengoku is a stretch, but entirely possible, especially if Aokiji would have won. After all, things are PARALLEL as opposed to being EXACTLY THE SAME.

The fact of the matter is, because of what Luffy is, he is going to have a top good marine rival, top bad marine rival, top good pirate rival, and top bad pirate rival because of what he wants to do and how he is as a person, which is very similiar to Roger. Yes, there may be tons of prospects for those positions but there are definitely major forces that fill those positions better than others. Bringing up characters like Tashigi is a cheap way to prove a point. They are minor characters with little impact on the overall plot and there is no way to go back in time to even see if a similar person in a similar position existed.

smoker....which is garp of luffy...just got beat easily by law....

and i doubt smoker will still follow luffy until the end of the series considering luffy got other stronger rivals...so no. i still cant see it.

mattiaildivino
March 31, 2012, 11:49 AM
the closest to Garp, honestly would have to be "Jinbe".

the cloest to Whitebeard would be either "Trafalgar Law" or "Captain Kidd". as far as "rivalry" is concern.
can't really say though, at this point, but that's my closet opinion on the subject right now.

Jinbe as garp??? dude,Jinbe is about to join his crew,how could jinbe be his enemy as garp was to roger?? :blink . anyway,he hasn't ever fought Law,nor kidd till now.

hoeru
March 31, 2012, 12:00 PM
I think we should wait for how Coby and Helmeppo improved within the last two years. If they got strong without taking too many injuries/scars, I don't think there's anything speaking against Coby becoming "Luffy's Garp" (while Smoker still can be "Luffy's Sengoku").

About Luffy's Whitebeard... I think it's neither Kid nor Law. Kid is much too cruel, and Law decided to work for the World Government (even though it's only part of his plans). Newgate was always pretty straight and had a dream of travelling the seas with a Pirate family. Therefore, I'd rather see Hawkins or Apoo - though I think, Oda has to show them more to be certain.

beck26
March 31, 2012, 12:34 PM
roger got shiki, whitebeard, garp, sengoku and tsuru.

luffy got smoker, coby, akainu, aokiji, doflamingo, crocodile, buggy, law, kidd and other guys.

the only similarities roger and luffy had is they had the will of the D, their personalities and the ability to hear all things. they dont share the same fate nor they meet the same brand of people that can be compared to roger's age. that is all there to it.

people who see luffy as a reflection of roger (crocus, rayleigh, neptune etc...) is because they have the same personality, attitude and brimming confidence....but it doesnt mean luffy need to have a garp or a sengoku or a whitebeard...luffy got his own set of acquiantances that got their own personalities too.

mattiaildivino
March 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
smoker....which is garp of luffy...just got beat easily by law....

and i doubt smoker will still follow luffy until the end of the series considering luffy got other stronger rivals...so no. i still cant see it.

Actually,smoker had to care about tashigi and the others,and he was unlucky that,inside the room,there was frozen sea water. In a pairer fight,smoker might have won....

beck26
March 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
still....smoker is not in garp's level....you can twist it anyhow you want but smoker is no garp. they dont even share the same personality as roger-luffy's comparison are.

giving excuses on why smoker lost wont make him anymore garp-like

mattiaildivino
March 31, 2012, 09:44 PM
AS IF RUFY WERE AT ROGER'S LEVEL! both of them still have got much to learn and to improve.

beck26
March 31, 2012, 10:14 PM
yep. so why the comparison again to smoker and garp??? and coby to garp???...coby wont do anything to luffy until like...the end of the series....from what i remember, garp cornered (just cornered) roger many times.

smoker losing to law already....luffy got other fate with roger...they share the same personality and will of D...dont know why you guys keep insisting it.smfh

Newkerzy
April 01, 2012, 01:11 AM
I think I'll go for Kid as Luffy's Whitebeard and Law might also be Luffy's Shiki. As for Luffy's Garp, I'll go for Smoker.

Whitebeard and Roger were two opposites but were friendly to each other. Roger is the fun-loving, reckless pirate while Whitebeard is the level-headed one.
I can see Luffy and Kid sit down and have a good cup of Sake with each other after beating the hell out of each other while having a good laugh, much like Whitebeard & Roger did. There's also the amount of respect Kid has for Luffy. Like Whitebeard had for Roger.

Law might be the Shiki to Luffy considering his rather cruel, pragmatic nature.

Smoker is definitely the Garp to Luffy, while Smoker hates pirates, even he has the morality to see what's right from wrong in WG's & Marines' actions.

beck26
April 01, 2012, 02:50 AM
kidd got no respect for anyone....
law allied with the government, shiki didnt....
smoker already lost and dont think he would still be there trailing luffy until the end of the series (just like garp always trailed roger until roger submitted himself)...its either akainu or blackbeard or the gorousei who would be there in the end vs luffy....no smoker there.

Zehahaha
April 01, 2012, 09:07 AM
It seems you guys seem to have some problems with the topic.
Luffy's Whitbeard = Direct rival, not having WB's character and charisma and the same dreams
Luffy's Garp = Not exatcly rivals, but still not having Garp's character and charisma

So, saying that " No Kidd is cruel, scum... " or whatever, isn't relevant, the same way about Smoker " He lost... ", who doesn't lose ? Even Luffy lost many times, any character lost fights many time...

But, I don't think we'll have a unique rival for Luffy... Supernovas/BB are all Luffy's rivals, Coby/Smoker want to catch Luffy too... It isn't gonna be the same as it was in Roger's time.

beck26
April 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
but with luffy they compare him to roger because they have the same personality right? which is fine by me....the only thing that annoys me is that everything that happened to roger, they try to find and fit it into luffy's...even the people they met. i dont think one piece is that predictable to go that everything that happened to roger must happen to luffy....i got no problem with people comparing to luffy, because even oda said so. even the characters said so.

smoker559
April 01, 2012, 09:25 AM
Law is Luffy's Whitebeard because Luffy has a stronger connection to Law, as oppose to the other Supernovas. They also seem similar in strength.

Smoker is Luffy's Garp because he is a Marine with good morals and the only character to chase Luffy throughout the series, just like Garp did to Roger during their time.

Zehahaha
April 01, 2012, 09:36 AM
but with luffy they compare him to roger because they have the same personality right? which is fine by me....the only thing that annoys me is that everything that happened to roger, they try to find and fit it into luffy's...even the people they met. i dont think one piece is that predictable to go that everything that happened to roger must happen to luffy....i got no problem with people comparing to luffy, because even oda said so. even the characters said so.

Yes I know that. Many people who were close to Roger acknowledged that he's really like Roger, which I agree about too, but it doesn't mean that he'll have the same rivals Roger had.

beck26
April 01, 2012, 10:04 AM
Yes I know that. Many people who were close to Roger acknowledged that he's really like Roger, which I agree about too, but it doesn't mean that he'll have the same rivals Roger had.

see what i mean? youre kinda agreeing with me....all im saying is they share the personality, the confidence, the will of the D, the ability to hear the voice of all things....but they dont share the same fate.

in this regard....whitebeard is very far from law, kidd or anyone you wanna be whitebeard in luffy's era, or smoker to garp

Page356
April 01, 2012, 11:28 AM
Lol what is it with you guys. Of course he won't have the same rivals, but he will have similar ones damnit. If they did a 100 year time skip and you had a good guy character that was going to be Pirate King, and you had other Pirates with the same dream, and the Marines still existed, then you would still have to fill similar roles for those chasing/competeing with him! I don't know why I can't get yall to understand this simple concept, maybe it's because not enough was shown about Roger's past. No matter what, these four roles must be filled:

Rival Good Pirate
Rival Good Marine
Rival Bad Pirate
Rival Bad Marine

While there are a ton of characters in OP, some characters better fill these positions than others from what we have seen at this point, after all we are only half way through Luffy's story and we have only viewed very little of Roger's story from what happened at the end. But anyway, let's make some comparisons:

Rival Roger Luffy
Good Pirate Whitebeard (aka the one we know about, he obviously had many like Luffy) Law, Buggy, Kidd, Shanks
Good Marine Garp Smoker, Coby, Aokiji
Bad Pirate Shiki, maybe another not shown yet Blackbeard, Donflamingo, Kidd, Law
Bad Marine ??? Akainu, maybe Kong

The point is at some point these apex rivals will appear much more clearly as we find out exactly how good or evil they are, and exactly how powerful and important they are and eventually AT THE END OF THE SERIES we will have a very definite answer of ONE PERSON TO FILL EACH OF THESE ROLES. I'm looking for an opinion on WHO and WHY you predict someone to fill the "good" roles.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Bah it changed the format of my fourth paragraph:

Rival Role Vs Roger Vs Luffy
Good Pirate = Whitebeard = Law, Buggy, Kidd, Shanks
Good Marine = Garp = Smoker, Coby, Aokiji
Bad Pirate = Shiki or other = Blackbeard, Donflamingo, Kidd, Law
Bad Marine = ??? = Akainu, Kong

mattiaildivino
April 01, 2012, 04:14 PM
yep. so why the comparison again to smoker and garp??? and coby to garp???...coby wont do anything to luffy until like...the end of the series....from what i remember, garp cornered (just cornered) roger many times.

smoker losing to law already....luffy got other fate with roger...they share the same personality and will of D...dont know why you guys keep insisting it.smfh

as I had just told you, it doesn't matter if smoker has been defeated by Law,as Rufy has lost against a lot of opponents.I don't think roger had always won,he should have lost sometimes against stronger opponents,whom he surpassed nonetheless.

beck26
April 01, 2012, 07:50 PM
no...wait wait...you guys are comparing every little detail of luffy and roger and when someone says that..."well its not the case with smoker and garp"...you guys make it broad and general like...."well they are both good marines..."

smh. oh yeah. lets do the twist...like we did last summer.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Rival Role Vs Roger Vs Luffy
Good Pirate = Whitebeard = Law, Buggy, Kidd, Shanks

*** whitebeard is a good pirate ho doesnt care about one piece.....law is a fishy bastard, buggy is a treasure whore, kidd is a sadistic killer.....shanks is luffy's inspiration....when in the blue did whitebeard became an idol of roger????

Good Marine = Garp = Smoker, Coby, Aokiji

***garp is a devoted marine who is a rival of roger from the beggining of his career up to the end, in which they treat each other (roger) as friends....smoker is an devoted pirate who wont be following luffy until the end (becoz luffy got bigger rivals), coby who? he would be significant in the marines like, at the end of the series...aokiji is not even a freakin marine.... :/

Bad Pirate = Shiki or other = Blackbeard, Donflamingo, Kidd, Law

**** i would agree somehow with shiki and blackbeard = two bad guys with a plan.

still, i hate it when people say "oh, he is luffy's blah blah blah of roger." luffy meets different people, i cant even see a whitebeard or garp or sengoku or tsuru in luffy's acquiantances.

Page356
April 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
Well brah, the only last thing I can say is wait til the series is finished. The truth is you have no idea whatsoever how Roger and Garp's relationship developed, you only know the end point. The same goes for Whitebeard. Also you must be assuming Roger went straight to Raftel and had no competing pirates or marines to deal with besides Roger, Garp, and Shiki. I'm sure once we get past the other half it'll become a little more obvious.

beck26
April 01, 2012, 11:05 PM
oh no not all...im not assuming anything.

i know roger faced many other pirates...but im afraid once we learned every pirates and marines roger faced....you guys might find each one of them counterpart with luffy's LOL.

and yeah. tell me if smoker and law and kidd will possibly be relevant in a major way in the end of the series....its quite obvious its gonna be akainu, blackbeard and coby who would be there along with the strawhats right at the ending...if you know how to construct a storyline (however wide oda's imagination is, he still follows the rules of writing a plot)...its pretty obvious the latter 3 i mentioned are being built up much larger than any other characters along with luffy.

mattiaildivino
April 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
according to the chapter of the alst week,CC, I think that Law will be rufy's whitebeard. I doubt he will join his crew,but they may help each other many times now.

Kaiten
April 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
I agree, A friendly rivalry between Law and Luffy makes sense. The one difference is that I expect a battle between Luffy, the Marines and World Government after he becomes Pirate King, the climactic battle of the manga. I think that Law will come to Luffy's aid during that war, allying with Luffy against the government.

mattiaildivino
April 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
I agree, A friendly rivalry between Law and Luffy makes sense. The one difference is that I expect a battle between Luffy, the Marines and World Government after he becomes Pirate King, the climactic battle of the manga. I think that Law will come to Luffy's aid during that war, allying with Luffy against the government.

lol,an all out war is needed before the end of the manga,especially since the one between WB and the HQ wasn't so great,and there weren't good fights within it. it would be cool if the SHs alone defeated the HQ,that would sanction his title of the strongest of the world. but if law joined it,it'd be ok

kkck
April 24, 2012, 10:45 AM
To be completely honest I would expect kid to be the more serious rival luffy has among the supernova. Between roger and whitebeard, the scenario seems to be that they fought so much that they came to respect each other and eventually that turned into a weird friendship(at least that would be consistent with them fighting a bunch of times and it would be somewhat similar to the garp-roger situation). Luffy getting into a bunch of fights with law would not make as much sense as him getting into a bunch of fights with kidd, who is far more volatile and is actively messing around with yonko and apparently on his way to being the pirate king. In turn, law somehow ended up having to work for ceasar.... I think the situation with law would be one of an awkward friendship more than anything. Eventually luffy will help law, law not feeling he was owned anything by luffy will feel indebted to luffy which IMO will create something of a strange friendship.

Kaiten
April 24, 2012, 01:09 PM
I don't think there is anything friendly about Kid. He burned someone at the stake not to long ago. Kid will probably be a villain to be defeated rather than a friendly rival. Given the set up of this arc there is a good chance that Law and Luffy fight. They won't fight to the death, and they will likely retain respect for each other, but Law is allied to CC at least temporarily. That could lead to confrontation with Luffy. There is also a very strong possibility that in the near future Luffy defeats Big Mom and replaces her as a Yonkou. Thus Law in his role as a Shichibukai could end up confronting Luffy again later on in the manga.

kkck
April 24, 2012, 01:39 PM
I didn't say there was anything friendly about kid. I even mentioned him being volatile would be a reason for him to be more likely to fight luffy than law. There could be a confrontation between law and luffy however the manga has already hinted law lost something and helping ceasar is going to help him. And luffy still owes law his life, if law is in some sort of trouble odds are he will help him.

ikuroi
April 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
Pretty easy when it comes to Garp, it's Smoker... he fits perfectly.

As for Luffy's Whitebeard, that's harder... I don't really see Law as someone who has what it takes to be in Luffy's way. I'll say Blackbeard, as his ambitions are high and he is really powerful and he has a sick crew. Kidd is a candidate as well..

Kaiten
April 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
I didn't say there was anything friendly about kid. I even mentioned him being volatile would be a reason for him to be more likely to fight luffy than law. There could be a confrontation between law and luffy however the manga has already hinted law lost something and helping ceasar is going to help him. And luffy still owes law his life, if law is in some sort of trouble odds are he will help him.

I just can not see the parallels between Whitebeard and Kid. Whitebeard was a man of the highest moral character, a father figure free of ambition for himself, who's only thought is of what is best for his crew. Kid has clearly been portrayed as a brutal man, willing to kill not only other pirates and marines, but also civilians.

Pretty easy when it comes to Garp, it's Smoker... he fits perfectly.

As for Luffy's Whitebeard, that's harder... I don't really see Law as someone who has what it takes to be in Luffy's way. I'll say Blackbeard, as his ambitions are high and he is really powerful and he has a sick crew. Kidd is a candidate as well..

Whitebeard was never really in Roger's way. He was the only Pirate of Roger's generation strong enough to stand up to him. While they did fight, each respected the other, and remained cordial till the end. Critically, they were never rivals. Whitebeard never sought to be Pirate King, he never sought Raftel, when Roger offered directions to Raftel he turned them down. They were never rivals, they had different goals from the beginning. Roger was guided by the Will of the D, Whitebeard hoped for a family. Should Luffy have a Whitebeard to his Roger it would have to be someone of outstanding moral character who does not seek to to become pirate king himself.

Smoker is quite clearly the Garp to Luffy's Roger. Oda has already made the parallels clear.

Tonix
April 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think Smoker is the best fit for Garp, but I think Colby deserves an honourable mention, even though he's never really shown himself to be capable of rivaling Luffy. maybe Colby can be Ussopp's Garp? :p

Whitebeard is a harder role to fill, the closest person I can think of is Shanks, because of his strong connection with his crew and the fact that he doesn't seem to be making an effort to become pirate king himself. Maybe when he gets older people will start calling him 'Whitehair'

kkck
April 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
I am not saying there will be parallels per say, I don't think kid will become an actual WB. Law is dramatically different from WB in all regards. I do however believe that kid would end up being the most likely contestant for luffy for the PK race. He had the highest rookie bounty, he has a fruit which can change the tide of a war with a proper scale, and among the rookies is the one IMO most likely to pick a fight with luffy just because (due to being volatile). None of the other rookies has shown a strong predisposition to being direct rivals against luffy in the PK race at least IMO. Heck, kid is even actively fighting yonko. What is luffy's little declaration of war against kid actually taking out her boats?

Kaiten
April 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm assuming that Black Beard will be Luffy's closest competition for Pirate King. He will be the last rival defeated before reaching Raftel. Kid will certainly be an important enemy sooner or later.

There is a character everyone seems to forget when discussing serious rivals: Drake. He has also challenged a Yonkou, presumably seizing one of Kaido's favorite islands. He has also been acknowledged by Brown Beard, along with Kid, Law, and Hawkins, as a major source of trouble in the New World. I suspect he will be very important later, along with Kid and Hawkins. It remains to be seen whether he will be a friend or foe to the Strawhats.

kkck
April 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Well, drake has been somewhat less relavant so far to be fair lol. Certainly that he would cause trouble against a yonko that early is impressive but he has not shown in any way to be as important as law or kid to the plot so far. I get the feeling he is more likely to befriend luffy than fight him though, dunno why but he seems like one of the more reasonable supernova.

I wouldn't put BB in the same league as kid though. BB is purely an enemy, someone luffy must unilaterally destroy. Odds are that right now he is the man closest to OP however due to his history I find it unlikely he will end up as a rival in the same sense WB was a rival to roger. I mean, WB ended up drinking sake with roger before his death. They fought till they respected each other. Such a scenario is viable with any supernova but not with BB IMO.

M3J
April 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
I can see Kidd being Luffy's WB. Rogers sought to conquer the seas, right? Luffy's definition of pirate king is having the most freedom in the seas, if I recall. Already in a way, both are different. Luffy's WB doesn't exactly have to be like Whitebeard, but be Luffy's rival. They don't necessarily have to be on good terms, and I can't see a Shichibukai being a WB. Kidd seeks to conquer the ocean, as opposed to Whitebeard seeking family. Luffy seeks to have the most freedom and find One Piece, while Rogers sought to conquer the sea and travel to the end.

Blackbeard is more like the villain, considering he caused Ace's death and set off a new age that threatens so many lives. His power is the only thing that can make him Luffy's WB, but his strength is what makes him Luffy's enemy more than anything else. I can't see Coby being strong enough to be Luffy's rival either unless he gets a strong Devil Fruit and trains hard.

mattiaildivino
April 27, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'm assuming that Black Beard will be Luffy's closest competition for Pirate King. He will be the last rival defeated before reaching Raftel. Kid will certainly be an important enemy sooner or later.

There is a character everyone seems to forget when discussing serious rivals: Drake. He has also challenged a Yonkou, presumably seizing one of Kaido's favorite islands. He has also been acknowledged by Brown Beard, along with Kid, Law, and Hawkins, as a major source of trouble in the New World. I suspect he will be very important later, along with Kid and Hawkins. It remains to be seen whether he will be a friend or foe to the Strawhats.

well,BB will surely be his worst enemy amongst the pirates,while akainu will be it for what concerns the WG. about what you said about kid and drake,I like the hypothesis that the supernovas will play that role,maybe becoming emperors,sooner or later. but I hope drake won't be involved in luffy's matters. I rather think taht you are forgetting someone: Bugy :) ,he is around since the 1st volume.

matzik1212
April 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
LOL is Buggy even worth mentioning in this thread ? He's just fodder and will always be IMO either he's a Shichibukai now or not .

AS for who is Luffy's Whitebeard ..hm i don't know maybe Law ? , or maybe Kidd ? But still Whitebeard and Roger had an interesting relationship , they kinda respected each other so i don't see Kidd as someone like Whitebeard for example .:) They are really different and Kidd hates Luffy , we all know that . After all remember how frustrated he was after all that Luffy did in the war , taking front page and being the "Leader" of the SN and he misunderstood that bell he rang thinking he was marking the start of his era or something like that . :errr

As for Luffy's Garp i stick with my believes and say Smoker fits that role pretty well . I don't wanna hear about Coby :-_-

Kaiten
April 27, 2012, 03:26 PM
It was clear that Law respected Luffy as far back as their first meeting on Sabaody. After Jean Beart thanked Law for freeing him, Law told him to save half his thanks for Luffy here. (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_piece/v52/c505/18.html) Roger clearly respected Whitebeard and Whitebeard, Roger. If Luffy is to have a Whitebeard like rival there has to be respect, whether they fight or not. Based on that Law seems most likely. They may even spar at the end of this arc, a fight I would expect to be inconclusive.

Kidd and Luffy have each challenged Big Mom's preeminence as a Yonkou, each in their own way. I fully expect Luffy to defeat her and be proclaimed a Yonkou. At that point I expect Kidd to challenge Luffy, and that Luffy will ultimately defeat him. Kidd will be a strong enemy but will never have the stature to be compared to Whitebeard.

THM Nindo
April 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
The Garp is definitely Coby.
It's already set in stone that Coby will remain loyal to the Marines as it's "his dream".
And, although I doubt he will be as strong as Luffy by the end, we already know that he can use Haki, so I expect him to be very potent in Haki, enough to fight Luffy.

As for the Whitebeard... right now, I would say that Law is the best bet.
He's a rival, but a friend also...
Could be Buggy too, but he's not serious enough for that...

Kaiten
April 28, 2012, 12:58 AM
Coby seems to young, weak, and low ranked to be Luffy's Garp. Smoker has been perusing Luffy since Loguetown, shows some respect to his adversary, and has the same rank as Garp. Like Garp he is hardly an orthodox marine. While Coby could be Luffy's Garp, the parallels are mostly speculation based on possible foreshadowing from early in the series. The parallels between Smoker and Garp are fairly well established already.

kkck
April 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
Coby seems to young, weak, and low ranked to be Luffy's Garp. Smoker has been perusing Luffy since Loguetown, shows some respect to his adversary, and has the same rank as Garp. Like Garp he is hardly an orthodox marine. While Coby could be Luffy's Garp, the parallels are mostly speculation based on possible foreshadowing from early in the series. The parallels between Smoker and Garp are fairly well established already.

Well, coby is about the same age as luffy right? Even though luffy had an edge over coby in part 1, coby still showed impressive growth to say the least. In the same spam over which luffy crossed the grand line coby grew from a normal human being with less than average strength to one who the marines would actually take to the war. From that point, coby has had 2 years to develop his haki and strength. Luffy should have an edge over him however 2 years is enough for coby to have closed the gap a decent bit at least, it is possible the guy can even stand up to luffy now. At least the quality of the teachers they had over the timeskip should be the same, I doubt we can put garp down in that regard. To be completely fair, neither of them was worth much in the grand scheme of things during the timeskip, even luffy became mostly a target due to his potential not his actual strength.

jaymizzo
July 08, 2012, 07:41 PM
Well, coby is about the same age as luffy right? Even though luffy had an edge over coby in part 1, coby still showed impressive growth to say the least. In the same spam over which luffy crossed the grand line coby grew from a normal human being with less than average strength to one who the marines would actually take to the war. From that point, coby has had 2 years to develop his haki and strength. Luffy should have an edge over him however 2 years is enough for coby to have closed the gap a decent bit at least, it is possible the guy can even stand up to luffy now. At least the quality of the teachers they had over the timeskip should be the same, I doubt we can put garp down in that regard. To be completely fair, neither of them was worth much in the grand scheme of things during the timeskip, even luffy became mostly a target due to his potential not his actual strength.

Luffy seems to have much more potential than Coby though. To think in 2 Years Coby could be able to stand up to Luffy while that whole time when Luffy was sailing without anyone to train him and Coby being under Garp still couldnt do or phase Luffy in the slightest should really shut down the idea that Coby could or should have closed down the gap by a decent margin.

Unless like people have said, he gets a strong Devil fruit and has developed the hell out of his Haki, then he will not give Luffy any trouble.

I personally believe Law will at some point become a straw hat. I dont know why but i have this undying feeling that Luffy will somehow help Law by recovering something of Laws or something completely extreme.

Not sure who would be Luffys WB though since i forsee Law joining him. If Law doesnt Join them then he will be Luffys WB

0Xellos
July 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Luffy seems to have much more potential than Coby though. To think in 2 Years Coby could be able to stand up to Luffy while that whole time when Luffy was sailing without anyone to train him and Coby being under Garp still couldnt do or phase Luffy in the slightest should really shut down the idea that Coby could or should have closed down the gap by a decent margin.

Coby went from super weakass to soru user between the story's beginning and EL, and awakened CoO haki by himself without knowing about it (the same as Luffy with CoC), which is quite awesone IMO. He doesn't have great talent or a DF (as far as we know), but he's a hard worker and we see that he's getting stronger at an insane pace. I think he's gonna be Luffy's Garp.
On the other hand, Luffy doesn't have a clear pirate rival yet. There's no one that has been appearing sufficiently frequently as an enemy, and is from the same generation as Luffy. One of the Supernovas could become one, but I believe Law is more of an ally than a friendly enemy.

jaymizzo
July 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
Coby went from super weakass to soru user between the story's beginning and EL, and awakened CoO haki by himself without knowing about it (the same as Luffy with CoC), which is quite awesone IMO. He doesn't have great talent or a DF (as far as we know), but he's a hard worker and we see that he's getting stronger at an insane pace. I think he's gonna be Luffy's Garp.

Coby was under constant training with Garp and we saw that even then he wasnt even significant to Luffy in terms of combat ability. Luffy brushed him off like he was nothing.

Regardless of how much hard work he has done, he simply cannot hope to even threaten Luffy at this point, well unless he has a powerful DF and somehow awoken BH to injure Luffy with. I still do not see him ever being able to corner Luffy like how Garp did with Roger.

0Xellos
July 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Coby was under constant training with Garp and we saw that even then he wasnt even significant to Luffy in terms of combat ability. Luffy brushed him off like he was nothing.

Regardless of how much hard work he has done, he simply cannot hope to even threaten Luffy at this point, well unless he has a powerful DF and somehow awoken BH to injure Luffy with. I still do not see him ever being able to corner Luffy like how Garp did with Roger.

You can't expect Coby to be on par with Luffy so soon. If Garp had really captured Roger once, that'd be pretty much the pirate king's end (not counting luck like Dragon stopping Smoker at Logue town); it's the same with Coby and Luffy. Even so, we gotta admit Coby's progress was amazing during that short of a time. Luffy had +10 years of training his DF, so he was far, far above Coby in the beginning; at EL, the difference was much smaller. Also, Garp-Roger relationship was most intense when Roger was a real big shot, so let's just wait for the new Coby and judge his growth then.

Coby's reintroduction at EL and at Marineford showed that he's more important that it seemed at the beginning.

jaymizzo
July 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
You can't expect Coby to be on par with Luffy so soon. If Garp had really captured Roger once, that'd be pretty much the pirate king's end (not counting luck like Dragon stopping Smoker at Logue town); it's the same with Coby and Luffy.

Coby had no chance in hell of capturing Luffy though. Like i said, at no point in the story was he even a remote threat to Luffy. He tried to stop Luffy and Luffy just tossed him aside. He was no more than just another Marine to Luffy, he was given the fodder treatment.

For him to even by any small chance be able to hold Luffy back at this point is ridiculous. You do understand that Luffy did nothing more than train for 2 Years. For Coby who again never posed a threat to pre timeskip Luffy to even make Luffy flinch is just not realistic.

Even so, we gotta admit Coby's progress was amazing during that short of a time.

Thats true, since a lot of marines are given fodder treatment, Coby does stand out amongst them.

Luffy had +10 years of training his DF, so he was far, far above Coby in the beginning; at EL, the difference was much smaller.

Thats true, but Luffys growth potential IMO is much much more above Cobys. What Luffy could achieve in 2 years i would expect Coby to in 4~7 years. :3c

Coby's reintroduction at EL and at Marineford showed that he's more important that it seemed at the beginning.

He might be important, but not important enough to give Luffy a good run for his money. Not at this point anyway.

I would think Oda could keep Coby out of the plot for another 1~2 one piece years and then reintroduce him once Luffy is a Yonkou and Coby is a Vice Admiral.

Ourum
July 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
Roger - Luffy
Whitebeard - Law
Garp - Coby

Shiki - Kidd
Sengoku - Aokiji
Tsuru = Helmeppo (?)

Roger, Whitebeard and Garp were all friendly . . . to a degree. I think that Coby could be like Garp, eventually. Right now a lot of people are enemies but they could be friendly if Luffy comes out on top.

Shiki was/is a bit of a dick, like Kidd
Sengoku is levelheaded, and not superior to Garp but took responsibility, like Aokiji
Tsuru is a women, like Helmeppo

Im not saying its perfect, but after some shared experience and Whitebeards inevitable death, if not by Luffy's hands then by Whitebeards men / Shanks / someone else who is totally badass it could fit

Schabrak
July 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
Until now Coby hasn't done anything qualifying him to be this generations Garp. 674 chapters and not once cornered or brought him in any kind of serious situation. Smoker on the other hand, did so a couple times already, that's his whole purpose in the manga until now.

And how would Law be comparable to Whitebeard? Until now, he used Luffy for his purpose only. Helped Luffy because he felt like doing so, to enable him to create more chaos in the future. Now he's made an alliance to take down one of the Yonkou, furthering his own agenda again. I don't think Gol and Edward ever fought together either.

llamapie
July 16, 2012, 09:55 AM
His Garp? It will be Smoker. Smoker is huge on his justice but I think after this arc he will start looking at the SHs differently, almost as an ally.

His Whitebeard, right now would be blackbeard, but I think he has a way to go before its down to that point. He has to surpass the emperors first.

Schabrak
July 16, 2012, 11:03 AM
Smoker already knows that Luffy is different from the rest of the pirates, things are not gonna change, as Smoker's whole NW training was supposed to make him capable of fighting and capturing Luffy. A pirate is a pirate no matter if they do good or bad and it's the marines order to capture each of them.^^ Oda also hinted on a fight between those two when Luffy made fun of Smoker being in Tashigi's body.

Kaiten
July 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Luffy's rivalry with Smoker is already well established, starting at Loguetown, continuing at Alabasta, and now on into the New World. Smoker is now even the same rank as Garp, when Garp captured Roger. Also like Garp, Smoker does not believe in the Marine's "absolute justice", and has been shown to be an honorable opponent. While Coby has only made a small handful of cameo's since the Captain Morgan arc, Oda has methodically established Smoker as a significant adversary of the Strawhats. Coby will have a role to play; nothing so far suggests he will be the high ranking Marine officer pursuing Luffy like Garp once pursued Roger. Smoker has been filling that role since Loguetown, recurring regularly ever since.

Other than a single line at the end of the Captain Morgan arc, and repeated after Water 7, what is it that leads people to think Coby will be Luffy's Garp? What about those few lines take precedent over actual events involving Smoker, as well as the already sharply drawn parallels between Smoker and Garp? While Coby has made but a few cameo's since the end of the Captain Morgan arc, at the very beginning of the series, Smoker has had a regular recurring role. What does that say about Coby's role?

I no longer view Law as a potential Whitebeard for Luffy. While Whitebeard and Roger seemed to have a great deal of respect for each other, they also seemed to have fought on several occasions. With the formation of the alliance, I can not imagine Law ever becoming a rival of Luffy, only a friend. A viable comparison before the formation of the alliance, not so much now.

sarutobi_sensei
July 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
A good pirate adversary for Luffy could be either Law or Kidd. Luffy's Garp will be Smoker. That or somehow Coby surpasses Smoker.

EclipseHunter
July 25, 2012, 03:21 AM
A good pirate adversary for Luffy could be either Law or Kidd. Luffy's Garp will be Smoker. That or somehow Coby surpasses Smoker.

That's the general fananswer which I support.

I'm thinking...
Shiki -> Kidd
Whitebeard -> Law
Garp -> Coby
Sengoku -> Smoker
Big Mum -> ??? Bonney?? I mean they are both female and big eaters
Shanks -> ???? Maybe another soon to appear character.

Franckie
July 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
Coby isn't a serious contender. He's a preview of the generation that will come to power after Luffy and friends get done wreaking world-wide havoc. He'll need a couple of more decades before he reaches top-tier, and even then there is no guarantee he'll be in the same league as other legendaries such as Whitebeard, Roger, and Luffy.

As for the OP, I nominate Smoker and Buggy. Smoker is self-explanatory. Buggy, on the other hand, requires one. It's hard to treat Buggy seriously, but prior to the timeskip his crew was on par with the other Supernovas. Afterwards toss in the fact Buggy and company will have level-grinded after the timeskip. It seems improbable Buggy will be able to give Luffy and company a good fight, but keep in mind the progression someone like Luffy will make. Based on his current feats, stating him to be stronger than other characters such as Ace and Jimbe is farfetch'd. That means Luffy is being set-up to undergo some major level-grinding for Part II that will push him from Ace's league to Whitebeard's/Roger's league. The difference in strength will be huge, and if Luffy can do it then so can other characters like Buggy.

I still don't think Buggy will reach that level by the end of the manga, however, or at the very least he'll be treated as a joke villain until the very end. Whether he'll be a match for Luffy someday I dunno, but one thing I am certain of is that Buggy will become the next "ruler of the sea", one of WB's titles. With Buggy undergoing serious level grinding and amassing greater amounts of military power under his command, he'll probably have the strongest pirate fleet by the end of the manga. Once the Mugiwaras inevitably scatter that'll leave Buggy as the de facto power broker in the New World.

M3J
July 28, 2012, 02:33 PM
Luffy's rivalry with Smoker is already well established, starting at Loguetown, continuing at Alabasta, and now on into the New World. Smoker is now even the same rank as Garp, when Garp captured Roger. Also like Garp, Smoker does not believe in the Marine's "absolute justice", and has been shown to be an honorable opponent. While Coby has only made a small handful of cameo's since the Captain Morgan arc, Oda has methodically established Smoker as a significant adversary of the Strawhats. Coby will have a role to play; nothing so far suggests he will be the high ranking Marine officer pursuing Luffy like Garp once pursued Roger. Smoker has been filling that role since Loguetown, recurring regularly ever since.

Other than a single line at the end of the Captain Morgan arc, and repeated after Water 7, what is it that leads people to think Coby will be Luffy's Garp? What about those few lines take precedent over actual events involving Smoker, as well as the already sharply drawn parallels between Smoker and Garp? While Coby has made but a few cameo's since the end of the Captain Morgan arc, at the very beginning of the series, Smoker has had a regular recurring role. What does that say about Coby's role?

I no longer view Law as a potential Whitebeard for Luffy. While Whitebeard and Roger seemed to have a great deal of respect for each other, they also seemed to have fought on several occasions. With the formation of the alliance, I can not imagine Law ever becoming a rival of Luffy, only a friend. A viable comparison before the formation of the alliance, not so much now.

I think it's because Coby and Luffy are known to be friends and have mutual respect while Garp and Roger had mutual respect, although they may not have been as good a friend. Plus, Coby's from Luffy's generation, though Roger was from the next generation after Garp's.

Unless Coby gets a significant increase in power, I don't see him ever being the Garp to Luffy's Roger. Smoker's so far the only one who can match Luffy, and both have respect for each other.

Law and Luffy could still be rivals. They can break apart and have a friendly rivalry, not necessarily enmity. It'd be like that Lion guy and Roger - Lion was ready to destroy Roger if Roger didn't join, but he still respected Roger and liked him.

FetherMan
July 29, 2012, 02:48 PM
Jinbe as garp??? dude,Jinbe is about to join his crew,how could jinbe be his enemy as garp was to roger?? :blink . anyway,he hasn't ever fought Law,nor kidd till now.

okay, i respect your opinion of my "opinion", which is all it is. but, i did also say that's my "closet opinion on the subject right now" as well.

0Xellos
July 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
Well, Garp and Roger were rivals (sort of friendly rivals), while Jimbe and Luffy never really went against each other. To me, it was friendship at the first sight... so I can't imagine Jimbe being Luffy's Garp without a HUGE and complex plot twist.

M3J
July 31, 2012, 02:35 PM
Wait, how can Jinbei be Luffy's Garp when Jinbei is a pirate and not with the Marine or the World Government? He'd have to join the Marine first before anything.

Schabrak
July 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
okay, i respect your opinion of my "opinion", which is all it is. but, i did also say that's my "closet opinion on the subject right now" as well.
Yet you fail to provide a reason why Jinbe could be considered the Garp of this generation. It can be your opinion all you want, doesn't stop it from being a questionable or wrong one. Jinbe never tried to capture him, nor is there a rivalery between them outside of the question of how solve the Hody problem.

FetherMan
July 31, 2012, 04:55 PM
@Schabrak.

okay, I said, Jinbe because he's an elder to Luffy and also, more of an ally as was Garp to Gol D. Roger. In my opinion, Garp and Roger weren't enemies like Whitebeard and Blackbeard for example.

I could even say, Law is more of Garp than a Whitebeard. But, once again, Whitebeard wasn't exactly a true enemy to Roger either. Sure they were pirates of equal strength, but also respected each other.

The only real true enemy to Luffy would be "Akainu" or "Blackbeard" for obvious reasons. As far as Luffy's Whitebeard and Garp, you could also say "Shanks" for "Garp" and "Captain Kidd" for "Whitebeard". Luffy's world is much different than Roger's, plus the pirate age didn't exist until Roger and others came about and started their own revolt against the World Government.

As I said before, It's just my opinion for right now and that's what I am going on. I wasn't presenting myself as being "right" versus "wrong" against other people's posts, I'm not Oda, I'm just a reader like yourself with an opinion. If you need further reasons for why, I pick my choices, figure it out for yourself. Really at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter what I think.

It's more about what "you think" right?.

Schabrak
July 31, 2012, 05:12 PM
There is a big difference between being an ally or being a nemesis. We have seen that there are three different ways of justices within the Marines, none of those make them allies to the pirates, excluding the Shichibukai.

Shanks was Rogers apprentice, in which way would he be similar to Garp? Does he hunt Luffy or sees him as a bad person? No, he is following and supporting Luffy and his wish to become PK. And Kidd being Whitebeard? Makes just as little sense. They clearly had their fair share of clashes, yeah their is a rivaliry there, but WB did not aim to become PK, nor was he bloodthirsty as Kidd is.

I agree that it is a different time with different circumstances, this may be a reason why we should not try to find a reflection of the past in so many characters of the present.

If you need further reasons for why, I pick my choices, figure it out for yourself. Really at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter what I think.

It's more about what "you think" right?.
I see no reason why I should not be able to question ambiguous comments, this is a discussion aimed for a back and forth of comments/arguments after all. It doesn't matter to me what you think, what you write for all to see is a different thing though.

Junaid_Sennin
September 10, 2012, 08:34 AM
Sorry if I'm just repeating what's already been said, I haven't read through the entire thread so I don't know what others have posted. I just came here to share my view.

Ok, so lets look at the question: who is Luffy's Shirohige and Garp?

First, what does this question mean? What does it mean to be "Luffy's Shirohige" or his "Garp"? I'm gonna tackle them separately.

Shirohige was the strongest man in the world, and the only pirate of Roger's calibre. The two of them weren't rivals in the sense that they competed with one another, nor did they fight like enemies. They were actually on a very friendly basis. Nevertheless, their crews clashed in the past, and Shirohige was the only pirate in the world who could match Roger. So, we need a pirate that will be able to compete with Luffy in strength/fighting capabilities when Luffy becomes Pirate King, but he also has to be someone that isn't expressly Luffy's enemy, but more like a rival. I think Law is currently the best candidate for that.

Garp was the only marine who could match Roger in a fight, and he was the main marine pursuing Roger to arrest him. However, he didn't see Roger as evil, just that he was a pirate and therefore had to be arrested. He still admired and even liked Roger. So, again we need someone strong enough to match Luffy, but not be a hardliner or see him as evil. My bet is Coby. Yes, right now Coby's still weak (as far as we know), but think of how quickly Coby went from pathetic errand boy for Alvida, to the way he was when we last saw him. Months. That's got to be a combination of incredible hard work and a hidden talent. Coby is going to grow beautifully into a worthy rival for Luffy. Plus, he likes Luffy, unlike Smoker, the other favourite candidate, who while not hating Luffy or thinking of him as completely evil, is still a bit too strict and sympathetic to Akainu's philosophy (all pirates are the same, evil trash that can't change).

TL/DR: Law and Coby