PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Lets Be Real: Will NPoT Really Go Past the U-17 Games?

Brandnewkid
May 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
I'm pretty sure we've all wondered at some point: is there anything more Konomi can do with this story? A Jr. Grand Slam arc, maybe but what are the odds? How far can Konomi take tennis? How much pot would he have to smoke?

Personally, I think this manga will end once Ryoma takes the No. 1 spot.

Airgrimes
May 11, 2012, 11:52 AM
Ending with Ryoma taking the No.1 representative candidate spot you say?

Asclepius
May 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
I am expecting a sub-17 World Championship with the 10 best players of 16 countries.

But maybe, they will compete in Germany. That would create an opening for Tezuka's come back.

Airgrimes
May 13, 2012, 03:29 AM
I am expecting a sub-17 World Championship with the 10 best players of 16 countries.

But maybe, they will compete in Germany. That would create an opening for Tezuka's come back.

I expect the whole Squad of 20 to pointlessly travel too.

alphabeta
May 13, 2012, 06:40 AM

There's no real need to carry out the whole tournament in Germany just for the sake of one character. For all we care it could be carried out in Uganda as long as 16 international teams gather there, Tezuka included as part of Germany's team.

Airgrimes
May 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
There's no real need to carry out the whole tournament in Germany just for the sake of one character. For all we care it could be carried out in Uganda as long as 16 international teams gather there, Tezuka included as part of Germany's team.

Lmao Let's not get carried away here. It would be piss taking to do it in a nation with out a world renowned tennis tournament.
Considering in Africa the only known tennis tournament exists in South Africa.

Im hoping Tezuka joins the Japan team lol.

But I think Konomi has screwed up the moment No.s 11-20 arrived to the story. He's rushed things ever since. Even the dethroning of Temporary No.5 Kaji could have been shown since he didnt look exhausted and possibly gave Oni a half-decent match unlike Takei, Tooyama and Momoshiro.
I reckon these last Top 10 are unfortunately our last of the U-17 Camp although I would love this Camp section to go on for a lot longer so we can see the improvement of ALL Middle Schoolers and some cool High Schoolers again.

But yeah, the moment we see Ryoma face Byoudouin is the moment we kinda know it will end lol. If not Byoudouin, the other final boss of this stage candidates are Ryoga or Tokugawa. Nobody else I can think of though.

Asclepius
May 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
To me, the final boss for Echizen is still his father.
But he has to finish his match against Fuji and he has to beat Tezuka too. No need to play the others.

Airgrimes
May 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
To me, the final boss for Echizen is still his father.
But he has to finish his match against Fuji and he has to beat Tezuka too. No need to play the others.

I can relate to this without a doubt.
But I also think that amongst his future opponents MUST be Byoudouin. Byoudouin has just brought that feeling that he and Ryoma are destined to have a match and Ryoma is destined to beat him and educate him, just like Akutsu.
Another person is Ryoga.

I think the final boss could be Nanjiroh, but Ryoga and Byoudouin are definetely along with Tezuka and Fuji.

ashore
June 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
Can the final boss be the director of U-17? Remember in the manga near the beginning chapters, The director is "away" but he communicates with the coaches. The coaches say that there are too many people at the U-17 camp and the director told them to drop 100 or so tennis balls from the sky and whoever dont have one gets kicked out.

Is it me or was the director purposefully not shown in the beginning of the series. He/she might be a powerful tennis player. and who invited the Junior Highers anyways.. someone has been watching them from afar.

To answer Op's question: Not sure, it depends who's funding konomi to write manga. He's already rich. The original manga is 's like 10 years old and I'm not sure how much you can draw from the series. It's just mostly about tennis. It can be difficult to maintain good plot and character development over swings of rackets. ( not impossible) but I do enjoy the series and will try to keep reading it.

I think hajimeippo a boxing manga series is still ongoing, past 500-600 chapters

Airgrimes
June 04, 2012, 06:06 AM
I think hajimeippo a boxing manga series is still ongoing, past 500-600 chapters

The Captain Tsubasa series has probably more than that if you combine all its series. It has like 3-4 series in total.

Hardy
June 05, 2012, 07:28 PM
The Captain Tsubasa series has probably more than that if you combine all its series. It has like 3-4 series in total.

Yes but half of the episodes are repeated in every series.

Konomi said that Prince of Tennis was just a Prologue. So, we'll have more Echizen until he's like 20-something.

This series will surelly be: camp- juniors world tournament- Ryoma goes back to the States.

Then who knows how it will continue...

Brandnewkid
June 06, 2012, 07:42 PM
Captain Tsubasa is different. It's easier for Captain Tsubasa to keep going at a decent pace while giving more characters spotlight for readers to love them because it's about soccer, where 22 people are on the field. I'm sure in the Captain Tsubasa U-16 arc the Japanese team had lots of room to shine.

Airgrimes
June 07, 2012, 02:16 PM
Captain Tsubasa is different. It's easier for Captain Tsubasa to keep going at a decent pace while giving more characters spotlight for readers to love them because it's about soccer, where 22 people are on the field. I'm sure in the Captain Tsubasa U-16 arc the Japanese team had lots of room to shine.

Well even here, its simply coz Konomi is chilled and laid-back and probably half-hearted about this manga + its on a monthly basis.
He created the possibility of TWENTY representatives.
My personal theory is that the Top 20 will be ENTIRELY made up of MSers but anyways, this has the possibilties to go well beyond the U-17 Games.

We have everybody starting High School, we could do a timeskip where Ryoma is a 1st Year HSer, honestly its Shounen Jump(Janppu lol). That means the sequel possibilities are endless.

Brandnewkid
June 07, 2012, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that the first stringers, or at least numbers 11-20 are going to be changed every now and then, like how Seigaku's regular roster constantly changed up at times.

Airgrimes
June 09, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that the first stringers, or at least numbers 11-20 are going to be changed every now and then, like how Seigaku's regular roster constantly changed up at times.

it didnt really change much.
Echizen, Fuji, Kawamura, Kikumaru, Kaidoh never lost their place, while No.s 11-20 were totally replaced.
And im hoping for certain members currently to be replaced right about now.

For how far this will go, Im wondering if after these Top10 matches, then the team is completely made.
Unless Kabaji being kicked out means that No.s 11-20 will get attention again.

Brandnewkid
June 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
it didnt really change much.

Well, duh, there were 7 people per match and about 8 regulars. So there would only ever really be one change.

Airgrimes
June 09, 2012, 06:32 PM
Well, duh, there were 7 people per match and about 8 regulars. So there would only ever really be one change.

You just said No.11-20 changed like Seigaku. They werent alike in changes.

Kaoz
June 09, 2012, 06:33 PM
Unless Kabaji being kicked out means that No.s 11-20 will get attention again.

I'd say this just foreshadows that Akutsu will play and lose, then get Kabaji's spot. I think those two are pretty much the only childhood friends that are at the camp and never teamed up at any point in the series and after we got both WoK and DP...

Brandnewkid
June 09, 2012, 06:51 PM
You just said No.11-20 changed like Seigaku. They werent alike in changes.

You really, really think I meant exactly like Seigaku? Even whilst knowing that there is a difference between a team of 7 and a team of 20?

Airgrimes
June 10, 2012, 06:31 AM
You really, really think I meant exactly like Seigaku? Even whilst knowing that there is a difference between a team of 7 and a team of 20?

They are not alike in changes.
No.s 11-20 all happened at once, now No.s 13 & Possibly 15 have happened at the same time, while Seigaku was all one at a time or at random times due to injuries.
They just are not alike. So the statement was just empty. Regardless of exactly or not. They are just not alike.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 AM ----------

I'd say this just foreshadows that Akutsu will play and lose, then get Kabaji's spot. I think those two are pretty much the only childhood friends that are at the camp and never teamed up at any point in the series and after we got both WoK and DP...
WoK and DP?

Kaoz
June 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
WoK and DP?

WoK = Wings of Kyuushu, Tachibana/Chitose
DP = Data Pair, Inui/Yanagi

Sorry, I'm used to using those.

Brandnewkid
June 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
They are not alike in changes.
No.s 11-20 all happened at once, now No.s 13 & Possibly 15 have happened at the same time, while Seigaku was all one at a time or at random times due to injuries.
They just are not alike. So the statement was just empty. Regardless of exactly or not. They are just not alike.

... I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that, Konomi might make it that some members of the 1st String are subbed out or something for those very reasons you just mentioned. Maybe one or two members may be switched out for whatever reason.

I'm not saying, "Konomi's gonna swap all of the 1st Court members every now and then at the same time."

In no way am I comparing Seigaku's monthly regular matches to the U-17's Shuffle Matches.

The statement wasn't empty, you just didn't understand what I was saying.

Airgrimes
June 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
... I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that, Konomi might make it that some members of the 1st String are subbed out or something for those very reasons you just mentioned. Maybe one or two members may be switched out for whatever reason.

I'm not saying, "Konomi's gonna swap all of the 1st Court members every now and then at the same time."

In no way am I comparing Seigaku's monthly regular matches to the U-17's Shuffle Matches.

The statement wasn't empty, you just didn't understand what I was saying.

fair enough

Brandnewkid
June 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
Anyhow, I think Ryoma's gonna leave Japan for a while and play tennis in another country. Maybe it'll be Germany, maybe it'll be Australia, maybe it'll be Italy, France, or Spain, but I don't think it'll be good for him to stay in Japan. Despite the characters we know and love being one of the best generations of tennis Japan's had, it's still a backwater country in the tennis world. He should go the Tezuka route.

LetalHawk
June 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
Anyhow, I think Ryoma's gonna leave Japan for a while and play tennis in another country. Maybe it'll be Germany, maybe it'll be Australia, maybe it'll be Italy, France, or Spain, but I don't think it'll be good for him to stay in Japan. Despite the characters we know and love being one of the best generations of tennis Japan's had, it's still a backwater country in the tennis world. He should go the Tezuka route.

He should do like Tsubasa, go to another country. However, I think Ryoma will stay in Japan for the whole time and improve playing around the world. But, it would be a turn for the storyline, if something like this happens: he plays Ryoga, then he realizes that he needs to improve even if he beats him, and goes to another country and, much like Wakabayashi in Captain Tsubasa, forms a rivalry with somebody that is stronger, and keeps improving. Then he comes back to Japan after sometime, and crushes a top 5 easily, then we have a much stronger Ryoma that can make Japan win the world tournament.

Airgrimes
June 13, 2012, 09:54 AM

He's obviously gonna go America again if he leaves. He's not gonna go to a nation he has had zero connection with in the storyline right now is he.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

WoK = Wings of Kyuushu, Tachibana/Chitose
DP = Data Pair, Inui/Yanagi

Sorry, I'm used to using those.

I dont think we are guaranteed in getting childhood pairs in the 1st Stringer line-up to be honest.
I see Kikumaru joining the 1st Stringer line-up for plot purposes. I dont think Oishi is good enough to be there by himself.

Nothing to suggest he would be an amazing doubles player whoever he partners with unlike Kikumaru and the best Doubles player Niou.

Kaoz
June 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
I dont think we are guaranteed in getting childhood pairs in the 1st Stringer line-up to be honest.
I see Kikumaru joining the 1st Stringer line-up for plot purposes. I dont think Oishi is good enough to be there by himself.

Well, what I'm getting at is this. Kawamura already has a spot on the 1st String, and I kinda don't see him losing that one. Then Kabaji, the guy who partnered with him, gets conveniently kicked out of the camp, freeing up a spot in that doubles. On the other hand, Akutsu is foreshadowed to play Oni, who in turn is one of like 5 HSers that had some sort of significance up to this point (in other words, it's not that farfetched to think he actually has a decent chance of keeping his spot). Add to that that Kawamura and Akutsu do have a connection, and to me it really looks like they will eventually be the No. 12/13 pair.

Also yeah, barring any surprises (i.e. Atobe/Niou somehow losing this match), Kikumaru is pretty much guaranteed the No. 16 spot. Not that I would mind such a surprise personally, but...

Nothing to suggest he would be an amazing doubles player whoever he partners with unlike Kikumaru and the best Doubles player Niou.

Of course not, he didn't have much screentime after all and the only full match he had so far was a singles match. But again, he'll probably get a spot on the 1st String, being one of a handful MSers that showed the ability to hit multiple balls, and if he loses to Oni, No. 13 seems to be the obvious place to put him in I'd say.

Airgrimes
June 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Well, what I'm getting at is this. Kawamura already has a spot on the 1st String, and I kinda don't see him losing that one. Then Kabaji, the guy who partnered with him, gets conveniently kicked out of the camp, freeing up a spot in that doubles. On the other hand, Akutsu is foreshadowed to play Oni, who in turn is one of like 5 HSers that had some sort of significance up to this point (in other words, it's not that farfetched to think he actually has a decent chance of keeping his spot). Add to that that Kawamura and Akutsu do have a connection, and to me it really looks like they will eventually be the No. 12/13 pair.
Kawamura COULD lose his spot though couldnt he. I dont see a guarantee that any of these MSers will keep their places. I think considering Niou gave up No.15 and challenged higher, I feel Kintaro and Yuki will do the same.
I feel Kenya as a 1st Stringer is just odd. You know we have never even seen the guy in a full match outside of the OVA where he is a 2nd year lol.

Also, I feel that even the important HSers, like the non-fodder ones, are gonna eventually lose their representative spots at some stage/get defeated by MSers. Im talking Tanegashima, Tokugawa, Irie, Byoudouin, Ryoga and Oni of course.

Also yeah, barring any surprises (i.e. Atobe/Niou somehow losing this match), Kikumaru is pretty much guaranteed the No. 16 spot. Not that I would mind such a surprise personally, but...Would love Atobe/Niou to lose.

Of course not, he didn't have much screentime after all and the only full match he had so far was a singles match. But again, he'll probably get a spot on the 1st String, being one of a handful MSers that showed the ability to hit multiple balls, and if he loses to Oni, No. 13 seems to be the obvious place to put him in I'd say.
While its true Akutsu is the guy most likely to partner up with Kawamura since when the MSers were asked to pair up they immediately paired together. I personally see Akutsu as a Singles player but Im not gonna rule it out I guess.

Kaoz
June 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Kawamura COULD lose his spot though couldnt he.

Well, here's the thing. Given the current developments on the 11-20 spots, i.e. Niou giving up his spot as Oishi's partner, freeing up a spot for Kikumaru, Kenya having shown absolutely nothing as Momoshiro's partner (hinting at maybe Kaidou getting that spot in some way) and Inui grabbing a singles spot, which is something at least I wouldn't have expected, combined with Fuji and Ryoma being somewhat likely to get on the team, it seems like all of Seigaku will make the 1st String this time around.

Going by that, while it's certainly possible that Kawamura will lose his spot, I don't think it's likely.

I dont see a guarantee that any of these MSers will keep their places. I think considering Niou gave up No.15 and challenged higher, I feel Kintaro and Yuki will do the same.
I feel Kenya as a 1st Stringer is just odd. You know we have never even seen the guy in a full match outside of the OVA where he is a 2nd year lol.

I thought that at first, but at this point, I only really see Yukimura or Kintarou playing another match to make them lose against a HSer, except against Duke I guess. Maybe that's just me though.

Agreeing on Kenya, as I said above, I see him getting replaced by Kaidou eventually.

Also, I feel that even the important HSers, like the non-fodder ones, are gonna eventually lose their representative spots at some stage/get defeated by MSers. Im talking Tanegashima, Tokugawa, Irie, Byoudouin, Ryoga and Oni of course.

Eh I dunno. Byoudouin I can see because of the way he's been displayed so far, maybe Tanegashima as well. The other four, I don't see losing their spots to MSers for quite a while. Tokugawa, Oni and Irie were the HSers that got focused on throughout the entire manga and I see no real reason to just throw them away. If anything, they'll get injured or don't play for some other reason, allowing MSers to temporarily replace them.

Unless with "eventually", you mean towards the end of the series, in which case I see it as a possibility.

While its true Akutsu is the guy most likely to partner up with Kawamura since when the MSers were asked to pair up they immediately paired together. I personally see Akutsu as a Singles player but Im not gonna rule it out I guess.

Well, there's also the question who else would pair with him who isn't completely out of left field. You have maybe Fuji and I can't really think of anyone else tbh.

Brandnewkid
June 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
He's obviously gonna go America again if he leaves. He's not gonna go to a nation he has had zero connection with in the storyline right now is he.

Not guaranteed, especially considering that America is not the greatest country when it comes to tennis, regardless of the major tournaments that take place there.

Hardy
June 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
Not guaranteed, especially considering that America is not the greatest country when it comes to tennis, regardless of the major tournaments that take place there.

The States won the Davis Cup 32 times (more than any other country), and is home of some of the best players in tennis history (both female and male), so I think they are in the top of tennis world. Also, Ryoma already knows the country, the language... yeah it's obvious he's going to the US (BTW, America is not a country :) ).

Airgrimes
June 13, 2012, 05:40 PM

Konomi doesnt give a crap about the current major tennis giants in team tennis. He's obviously gonna make Japan be the best LOL. I said connection. Ryoma lived in America for many years. He would go to america where he has been before.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

The States won the Davis Cup 32 times (more than any other country), and is home of some of the best players in tennis history (both female and male), so I think they are in the top of tennis world. Also, Ryoma already knows the country, the language... yeah it's obvious he's going to the US (BTW, America is not a country :) ).

You REALLY think we dont know to the exact term is ''USA''? US, US of A, The States, United States, America, all names that the nation has. In PoT they refer US as America in several instances in the anime filler. People all over the world call it America :) ).
And yeah @Brandnewkid, Eiji Kikumaru answers the issue on America.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Well, here's the thing. Given the current developments on the 11-20 spots, i.e. Niou giving up his spot as Oishi's partner, freeing up a spot for Kikumaru, Kenya having shown absolutely nothing as Momoshiro's partner (hinting at maybe Kaidou getting that spot in some way) and Inui grabbing a singles spot, which is something at least I wouldn't have expected, combined with Fuji and Ryoma being somewhat likely to get on the team, it seems like all of Seigaku will make the 1st String this time around.
You even think that they will go to a tournament together and comeback and then a NEW team will be formed? Im thinking once they set out to represent Japan, its set in stone.
And yeah, time and time again, I say Kenya didnt do shit, so a Kaidoh No.18 possibility is strong. Inui and Yanagi issue confuses me. Unless Oishi neatly slides up 1 and gives No.16 to Inui for Data Pair to happen.

Going by that, while it's certainly possible that Kawamura will lose his spot, I don't think it's likely.
Im probably gonna be wrong here, but Im predicting him to lose his spot.

I thought that at first, but at this point, I only really see Yukimura or Kintarou playing another match to make them lose against a HSer, except against Duke I guess. Maybe that's just me though.
If Yukimura and Kintaro are to lose, then which MSers will really defeat a Top 10? Sanada is the only other guy really. Im gonna keep my mind open since anyone who saw the Atobe/Niou pair coming 5 chapters Prior to it, is a god damn liar haha.

Eh I dunno. Byoudouin I can see because of the way he's been displayed so far, maybe Tanegashima as well. The other four, I don't see losing their spots to MSers for quite a while. Tokugawa, Oni and Irie were the HSers that got focused on throughout the entire manga and I see no real reason to just throw them away. If anything, they'll get injured or don't play for some other reason, allowing MSers to temporarily replace them.
But the way Tokugawa appeared, as his selfish motive is solely for beating Byoudouin, not even ''winning for the team'' like most others or ''for the good of Japanese Tennis'' like Oni and Irie.

I see Tokugawa losing for that. Ryoga, he was so hyped up to appear, I dont even know what to expect. Byoudouin to defeat Tokugawa if they ever have a match though. Then Ryoma does the job properly and defeats Byoudouin after.

Well, there's also the question who else would pair with him who isn't completely out of left field. You have maybe Fuji and I can't really think of anyone else tbh.
Not even sure anymore. I still see Kawamura losing his place, but if so, then... Fuji in No.11 could pair with him.
My reasons for this is that I dont think the positions are strictly doubles and Singles and can likely be flexed around.

For example, Nakagauchi was introduced as a Singles player, and Matsudaira Chikahiko a Doubles player, yet they played different positions against the Top 20.
While Nakagauchi was no.8 for the 2nd Stringers which now Im not even sure was based on Singles anymore, was paired with No. 14 or something-Miyako Shinobu.
Its all a bit makeshift I believe.
I reckon it wont even matter who's in what position and they will rush the storyline and sort things out towards the end of the Representative candidate battles.
(Hopefully we have many more to come)

Brandnewkid
June 13, 2012, 06:02 PM

Cool, now tell me which one of the Grand Slams is the Davis Cup? Exactly. I'm talking about Ryoma's personal development as a player, not the whole 1st Stringer's development if they ever participate in the Davis Cup (The Davis Cup is a team tournament).

Konomi doesnt give a crap about the current major tennis giants in team tennis. He's obviously gonna make Japan be the best LOL. I said connection. Ryoma lived in America for many years. He would go to america where he has been before.

And again, you don't know that. Putting Ryoma back in America to improve as a player would be pointless. He's already been there time and time again; personally I don't think there's ever any big challenges shown in America for Ryoma to overcome in America in the manga. He's done his thing there already, winning four major tournaments over there. Ever think about that? Why not send him to a place where he can actually improve himself? If Ryoma's gonna temporarily be in another country for a while, I'm sure Konomi won't send him back to America again where he's been for years. He'll probably send him off somewhere in Europe like he did Tezuka, where the level of tennis is generally higher.

Hardy
June 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
Cool, now tell me which one of the Grand Slams is the Davis Cup? Exactly. I'm talking about Ryoma's personal development as a player, not the whole 1st Stringer's development if they ever participate in the Davis Cup (The Davis Cup is a team tournament).

Putting Ryoma back in America to improve as a player would be pointless. He's already been there time and time again; personally I don't think there's ever any big challenges shown in America for Ryoma to overcome in America in the manga. He's done his thing there already, winning four major tournaments over there. Ever think about that? Why not send him to a place where he can actually improve himself? If Ryoma's gonna temporarily be in another country for a while, I'm sure Konomi won't send him back to America again where he's been for years. He'll probably send him off somewhere in Europe like he did Tezuka, where the level of tennis is generally higher.

? So what? How many Grand Slams are played in Germany?
I said the Davis cup thing to show that in the US there's a very high tennis level (and practically in every sport except football), not because there are a lot of important tournaments there (although you've got US Open, Miami Open and Indian Wells).

Airgrimes, I know you knew that, I'm just fighting against the world to change that concept lol.

Brandnewkid
June 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
? So what? How many Grand Slams are played in Germany?

Must've not seen the part where I said the general level of tennis players are higher over there.

Hardy
June 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
Must've not seen the part where I said the general level of tennis players are higher over there.

Again, why?

USA actually has 2 players at the male's top 15 ranking, and 7 in the top 100.
Germany has none and 6 respectivly...

Also, if a very important tournament is held in the States (such as the 3 I named before), players from all over the world would participate.

And you shouldn't just focus in challenges. The US surely has some of the best trainers in the world.

Brandnewkid
June 13, 2012, 08:43 PM
Again, why?

The manga hasn't really shown any serious contenders from America (like the anime has with Kevin Smith). Except for Bundro, who was the number one ranked player in the world ... who got spanked by Nanjiroh one day prior to his appearance, and very arguably Nagoya Seitoku's transfers.

On the other hand, Konomi has hinted various times in the manga that the tennis competition in Europe, Germany (and arguably England) in particular to be something serious.

See, I'm going by the manga.

Hardy
June 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
I see. Then, why do you think Nanjiroh picked the USA back when he started his pro carreer?

Brandnewkid
June 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
I see. Then, why do you think Nanjiroh picked the USA back when he started his pro carreer?

Well, remember it was said that he had been winning tourney after tourney, and even beat the #1 player in the world. I think it was heavily implied somewhere that he had completed every other Open except the U.S. Open, because he missed it. Or maybe that was an anime-only thing. But in the manga, it is said that after he won the tournament that took place at the end of the chapter, he won 37 victories in a row all over the world. Also, the way the chapter is written, it is hinted that America was just a stepping stone for Nanjiroh. (Rinko says "For Nanjiroh, becoming a Pro is just a check point to his Big Dream.")

So, maybe he went to America to get his name up there as an actual Pro, figuring doing it in Japan wouldn't get him places, and that the States would be a bigger place to make a scene. Then, he'd go all around the world kicking ass.

Airgrimes
June 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
Davis Cup is about strength as a nation. So its still relevant.

And again, you don't know that. Putting Ryoma back in America to improve as a player would be pointless. He's already been there time and time again; personally I don't think there's ever any big challenges shown in America for Ryoma to overcome in America in the manga. He's done his thing there already, winning four major tournaments over there. Ever think about that? Why not send him to a place where he can actually improve himself? If Ryoma's gonna temporarily be in another country for a while, I'm sure Konomi won't send him back to America again where he's been for years. He'll probably send him off somewhere in Europe like he did Tezuka, where the level of tennis is generally higher.
Just the whole emphasis on Ryoma being the american kid, and his fluency in english. Who's to say there are no challenges in America?
Japan suck at Tennis compared to the West in general. USA is the most likely place.
Right now, Germany's tennis is not higher than USA's. Its simply coz Tezuka got scouted by a german guy that he went Germany. Could have easily been an Englishman, a Spaniard, a Frenchman, a Scotsman or a Russian and any other European nation.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Again, why?

USA actually has 2 players at the male's top 15 ranking, and 7 in the top 100.
Germany has none and 6 respectivly...

Also, if a very important tournament is held in the States (such as the 3 I named before), players from all over the world would participate.

And you shouldn't just focus in challenges. The US surely has some of the best trainers in the world.

Here we are. I dont know where you got that German tennis was higher than USA's right now. @Brandnewkid