PDA

View Full Version : Fun Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Meijin no Kori
May 17, 2012, 05:16 AM
Okay, this is the discussion thread for all you lovers of the HxH manga (like me). To start things off, here's some info about the series to those who are new to it:

Summary version 1:

Many people in the world aspire to be hunters, for either the fame, wealth or special privileges. However, it is said that only one in hundreds of thousands can pass the test to be a qualified hunter. Gon’s journey to become such a hunter, and to find his father, who is acknowledged as the greatest hunter in the world, begins. Along the way, he befriends Killua, a member of a renowned assassin family, Kurapica, who is determined to become a Blacklist Hunter to capture the criminals responsible for his tribe’s deaths, and Lerio, who aspires to be a doctor.

v2:

In an alternate world, there are terrible creatures and vast lands and treasures to explore. Resulting from this, there are constant threats to humanity, and those people that contain these threats are called hunters.

Gon is a small boy on a small island, who has been taken care of his aunt ever since his father left him to become a hunter. But like all young children, Gon has big ambitions, and sets out on a great journey to become a hunter, and to find the dad he never met.

Expect lots of slapstick humor and thrilling action in this lighthearted manga about a young boy taking his first steps into the grand world.

Details About The Series: Ongoing at 22 or 23 volumes (at about 255 chapters). However, the author is sick, thus causing there to be long breaks between some of the chapters and the art quality of some of the later chapters to be poor.
It's also a Shonen manga, so ages 13 and up.

Where to Get It:
IRC:
#lurk@irc.irchighway.net (Packlist: http://gotlurk.net/)

Direct Download:
www.stoptazmo.com

NOTICE

Currently the manga is on hiatus for indefinite period of time. The mangaka, Yoshihiro Togashi, is currently on sick leave, which leave the manga on its hiatus state. As for the current time, there is no news about his condition, the date of when he will return or whether he will continue the manga or not.

As for now, please don't keep asking when he will return as there is absolutely no news about that.

MangaHelpers
May 17, 2012, 05:16 AM
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is 18758

mrsticky005
May 17, 2012, 05:25 AM
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/KurapikavsUbogin-YouTubeflv_snapshot_0842_20120517_004043.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/KurapikavsUbogin-YouTubeflv_snapshot_0846_20120517_004102.jpg
Oh No! I'm hurting someone even though I want to do worse than that!

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/KurapikavsUbogin-YouTubeflv_snapshot_0956_20120517_004314.jpg
Oh No! I killed someone even though I was prepared to kill them all anyway! I'm a monster! I did a horrible thing!

Oh c'mon!!
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/hunter10_015.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/hunter10_019.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/hunter10_020.jpg

Agreed.

1999 made Kurapika too soft.

Hopefully Madhouse will give us the cold blooded Kurapika!

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 AM ----------

Details of the series should be updated to 30 volumes and 340 chapters. :)

SHINOBI-03
May 17, 2012, 05:32 AM
Agreed.

1999 made Kurapika too soft.

Hopefully Madhouse will give us the cold blooded Kurapika!

I can see the complainers already. "Why did they make Kurapika into a cold hearted bastard? He's supposed to feel guilt and cry on his actions! They ruined the sweet Kurapika for me!"

Demonspeed
May 17, 2012, 07:36 AM
Is it now sure that the new anime will have more than 45 episodes? It is often in the top 10 but sometimes i have the impression that Madhouse hasn't enough money issue. I am anxious...

Raad
May 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
Well I don't think the 99 anime made Kura look soft, just that there's a difference between saying you'd kill somebody and actually doing it, it wasn't too inconsistent with the manga character.

Akia999
May 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
Personally ,I felt that the 1999 version made kurapika more remorse and guilty instead of soft.After killing off both Uvogin and Pakunoda ,he was guilty about killing them and was haunted by their death.(During greed island arc,when he had fever ,he kept seeing them.)

SHINOBI-03
May 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
I finished reading the Greed Island arc. To be honest, it was mediocre. It was all more nen training and nothing stood out except for two or three events. I accepted the idea of getting into the world of a video game at first and thought it would be something like the Digital World from Digimon, but became underwhelming when they find out that they were still in the real world. The final fight was sorta cool, but it wasn't that spectacular to me. (I need some brain bleach to get rid of biscuit's "real" form...!)

Personally ,I felt that the 1999 version made kurapika more remorse and guilty instead of soft.After killing off both Uvogin and Pakunoda ,he was guilty about killing them and was haunted by their death.(During greed island arc,when he had fever ,he kept seeing them.)

There was no such scene in the manga, unless I skipped a page or two.

shareme
May 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
I finished reading the Greed Island arc. To be honest, it was mediocre. It was all more nen training and nothing stood out except for two or three events. I accepted the idea of getting into the world of a video game at first and thought it would be something like the Digital World from Digimon, but became underwhelming when they find out that they were still in the real world. The final fight was sorta cool, but it wasn't that spectacular to me. (I need some brain bleach to get rid of biscuit's "real" form...!)

Better think of it as a 2nd Heaven's Arena arc (but in a much grander scale) both in terms of a training arc and an introduction to the next arc.

Crude
May 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
Greed Island was one of those arcs which I always thought was underwelming, especially after the Yorknew City arc, yet for some reason it's actually the arc I'm most anticipating right now. I read it again and fell in love with the whole RPG feel (I'm quite the RPG fan :D) of the arc. I really want to see how the new anime adapts it.

SHINOBI-03
May 17, 2012, 05:43 PM
Pokkle and Ponzo :gwah

Netero
May 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
Ummm yep.... they were brutally killed... anyway hope you enjoy the Chimera Ant arc. It's my favorite!

futurefrog
May 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Ummm yep.... they were brutally killed... anyway hope you enjoy the Chimera Ant arc. It's my favorite!

I think I know why it's your favourite Chairman ;)

Akia999
May 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
(I need some brain bleach to get rid of biscuit's "real" form...!)

There was no such scene in the manga, unless I skipped a page or two.

Good luck with that.I think the chimera ant arc will help.
It was in the anime only.

That came as a shock to me but this is how togashi roll ,killing off characters with ease.
If u are reading the redrawn version of the manga ,at least you don't have to worry about the art quality...

Kamen Rider Dragon
May 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
Man the Chimera Ant arc is disturbingly violent. Watching Pokkle get tortured was hard to see. Did Ponzo get shot?:gwah

chei
May 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
I finished reading the Greed Island arc. To be honest, it was mediocre. It was all more nen training and nothing stood out except for two or three events. I accepted the idea of getting into the world of a video game at first and thought it would be something like the Digital World from Digimon, but became underwhelming when they find out that they were still in the real world. The final fight was sorta cool, but it wasn't that spectacular to me. (I need some brain bleach to get rid of biscuit's "real" form...!) .

I enjoyed Greed Island a lot whenever I re-read it (I rarely re-read Yorkshin) but yeah I do get tired of the training part. But I can't help loving it whenever Togashi geek out like that with his world building and rule-setting (and breaking/twisting it later). There's something really refreshing when the kids were just another players among other regular folks, they're not 'special' like in the other arcs and it's fun seeing them being noobs and concealing themselves in a controlled environment. I think the re-readability is up there for this arc (except the training part), especially the dodgeball game. The villain of the arc is among the most evil in the entire series that you just can't help rooting the heroes to beat him, which is rare for Togashi's work.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Man the Chimera Ant arc is disturbingly violent. Watching Pokkle get tortured was hard to see. Did Ponzo get shot?:gwah
Right in her head/face it seems... :crying

TheAmericandream
May 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
I think Greed Island is a good arc, but it feels very uneven at times to me mostly because of all the training and rules set up for the card game. I'm looking forward to seeing if the new anime can pull it off a bit better. But Greed Island has a lot of my favorite Gon moments (who is still my favorite character) namely the Dodgeball game and the Bomber fight. Of course I think Biscuit is one of the best side characters in the series too, before Yorknew the series severely lacked females.

Ponzu's death seems almost mean spirited to me at the time, but in contrast to other Shonen series that shy away from killing likable characters EVER (bleach) its a welcome change. Togashi does a good job of making you feel concern or tension for his characters, and a big part of that is his ability to toss aside characters whenever the story needs it without much hesitation.

Netero
May 17, 2012, 09:26 PM
The dodgeball game is one my favorite parts of the Hunter x Hunter manga, and Razor was a badass character.

TheAmericandream
May 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
Yea Razor is a total beast! I guess in that regard for me, Razor left a MUCH bigger impression on me then the Bomber team, even though they are also scary.

Netero
May 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
We need moar Razor! and for the longest time, I've always wanted to see him fight Yupi.

Look at this beast
http://www.akadot.com/images_osc/4088733827.jpg

mrsticky005
May 18, 2012, 12:05 AM

actually I agree. I think this fits better.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

at first the only part I liked about Greed Island was the bomber story because that was an actual fight.
But now I'm really liking all the aspects. Yes it is essentially a training arc but it's great.

futurefrog
May 18, 2012, 01:31 AM
The best part of Greed Island is Genthru, a start to finish excellent antagonist. I still believe he is the best villain in the whole of Hunter x Hunter (even more so than the King), mostly because he is such a mysterious character. Still to this day there is a lot of mystery surrounding him. I want to know more about him and his connection with Sub and Bara.

Crude
May 18, 2012, 05:03 AM
Only thing I disliked about Genthru was his character design which also looked pretty meh imo. But that might have more to do with the way he was drawn in the OVAs. I actually prefer the way the characters (Gon in particular) were drawn in the OVAs, except for how detailed their eyes looked in G.I. Final.

TheAmericandream
May 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
I find Genthru to be probably the least compelling of the HxH antagonists when I think about his character by himself (even less so then Tonpa). Though I think in the context of the arc he is interesting. The fact that Gon had the balls to face so many opponents up to now, his crazy goes full tilt as he sacrifices his life almost fighting Genthru. For me Genthru vs Gon easily tops Gon vs Pitou in terms of the impact it had on me. I also really like Genthru's abilities, they're terrifying. You wouldn't think such psychopath's would be lurking in a game like Greed Island, but its a big part of what made the arc interesting. Sub and Bara to me always felt like good friends of Genthru, like his old college roommates or something :P. I like that he did actually care about them at the end despite being such a crazy. So I guess I enjoy Genthru, just not as much as every other antagonist in HxH. Gon vs Genthru is one of my favorite battles in the series though since Gon is my favorite HxH character.

chei
May 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
I find Genthru to be probably the least compelling of the HxH antagonists when I think about his character by himself (even less so then Tonpa). Though I think in the context of the arc he is interesting. The fact that Gon had the balls to face so many opponents up to now, his crazy goes full tilt as he sacrifices his life almost fighting Genthru. For me Genthru vs Gon easily tops Gon vs Pitou in terms of the impact it had on me. I also really like Genthru's abilities, they're terrifying. You wouldn't think such psychopath's would be lurking in a game like Greed Island, but its a big part of what made the arc interesting. Sub and Bara to me always felt like good friends of Genthru, like his old college roommates or something :P. I like that he did actually care about them at the end despite being such a crazy. So I guess I enjoy Genthru, just not as much as every other antagonist in HxH. Gon vs Genthru is one of my favorite battles in the series though since Gon is my favorite HxH character.

Yeah Genthru has a very random, pedestrian appearance (done on purpose), not a larger-than-life charismatic super villain like Hisoka, Kuroro, Chimera Ant King, yet he's done things that felt more horrible those three. He has the look of a 3rd tier background baddie that the heroes beat up while sleep walking...yet he inspired this frightening threat looming over the game the entire way. So it made him so refreshing because he's not a cool likable villain (which is what Togashi is good at writing)...he barely has any redeeming value, and so effective.

TheAmericandream
May 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
Yes I think Genthru is still used very effectively, and I don't think we're necessarily meant to "like" him. Then again, I don't think we're supposed to like Tonpa, but I love that dopey guy.

Holy shit, I think this AMV for Hisoka is pretty amazing, also I think it manages to use footage from the OVA's 1999 and 2011 fairly well (less jarring then I'd thought it'd be)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L0K7cADZgIg

Popo
May 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
Only thing I disliked about Genthru was his character design which also looked pretty meh imo. But that might have more to do with the way he was drawn in the OVAs.
So HxH is a very expressive manga. Characters' faces distort and change all of the time. But Genthru is one of the few in the manga who largely remains expressionless, sans a few instances of delight (usually coupled with a malicious action) and rage (against Gon). I also appreciate the fact that you rarely see his eyes; when reading the manga, I assumed that he might be wearing sunglasses with colored lenses.

I really disliked how the G.I. Final OVA tried to make Genthru's face more animated. His face contorts into these strange and evil expressions; his hair receives a random coif spiked atop his head. I'll pull out some examples today, but the ways in which he's drawn in that OVA are noticeably different.

TheAmericandream
May 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
No I remember Popo. Go for it! Genthru's design is sort of a mess in GI Final.

futurefrog
May 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
I just wanna give you guys a little bit of an analysis of Genthru's character (manga only, OVA Genthru is an inaccurate depiction).

When we first meet Genthru he appears to be a 'good guy', he's got the look of a good guy and seems to be doing the nice thing of informing a group of newbies of a dangerous enemy known as the Bomber. Not long later it's revealed that all of this was a deception concocted by none other than himself, the severity of which is immense. He has placed a time bomb onto every one in that group and offers them their lives in exchange for their cards. Knowing that he can't allow anyone who knows his identity to live, all three of the bomb devils release the explosives which kills the entire group in the most gory way imaginable. Now this could be percieved as Genthru enjoying killing, but I take it in another way, I take it as Genthru viewing their deaths as a necessity in order to move forward to his goal (win greed island and get the prize money). The money drives all three of these mysterious antagonists, we never truly know why exactly they seek this money, why they need it or what their motivation is at all, Togashi intentionally leaves that open ended.

The bond however between Genthru, Sub and Bara however speaks a thousand words. Genthru's ability requires his two friends help in order to release it, showing that he trusts them more than anyone else, so much so that he bases a part of his ability around them. That's not the end of it though, after being defeated by Gon, Genthru refuses being healed in favour of healing his friends. It's through his interactions with Sub and Bara that we see his innate humanity beneath the dark exterior. These three have a long history together, perhaps even childhood friends. They view eachother almost as family. Sub and Bara clearly admire Genthru and want to help him achieve his goals, but why? Why do these three need the money? To what ends? I'm not buying 'to be rich' or 'they are just psychos', I feel that there is a much deeper reason behind their desire to win the prize money, there is a reason these three are as dark as they are, but much like a similar looking villain form Yu Yu Hakusho (Toguro) we never truly know the mysteries of these characters, but there is still a slight glimmer of humanity underneath these characters and that humanity is in their bond of friendship.

Genthru uses fear in order to get what he wants. He spreads the story of the bomber in order to incite fear in others, why does he do this? Because to him inciting fear is a strength. When he encounters Gon, he tries to incite fear into him as well, but is shocked when he realises that Gon isn't like the others, Gon is crazy. There was no other person in Greed Island that could defeat Genthru. Genthru underestimated Gon, only viewed him as a child easily able to be scared, when he realises that is not the case he fumbles and is ultimately defeated by his inability to incite fear in Gon. Gon does not fear the Bomber, he welcomes the challenge with open arms, because he is unhinged.

The battle with Genthru is the most important battle in Gon's development because Genthru is built up to be a fearsome foe, not just because of his powerful ability but also because of his skill at spreading despair, yet Gon is the only person who isn't afraid, he will do anything to beat Genthru, even if it kills him. It's the most interesting battle for Gon and is one that deserves much more analysis.

Genthru is still largely a mysterious figure, we never find out his true motivations or his fate, everything is left hanging, waiting for the moment Genthru can return. I feel there is so much more stories to be told with his character.

TheAmericandream
May 18, 2012, 10:45 PM
Though I can't see a comparison to Toguro at all, I don't see anything about Genthru as noble or deep. It's possible he has more lofty goals but I just felt he was sick and enjoyed being able to kill whenever he wants. Now that doesn't mean he wasn't without some morals, he cared about his friends in a similar way the Spiders do almost. But I always thought the goal of clearing the game was sort of like other psychopaths in fiction, an excuse to pass the time and keep on killing. I mean he is laughing whenever he kills, and they even make sport of the guys they use to obtain more cards. Genthru is a depraved lunatic and I enjoy him for that, though I do wish I had more insight into his character.

Actually speaking of that, did Gon and Killua not turn them over to the Authorities at the end of Greed Island? I don't remember them doing it, but its been a long time since I've read the manga adaptation of the arc (and well scanlation translations suck). I'm not sure why they wouldn't honestly, they heal them I remember that much. But why let a killer like him free? Was it out of respect?

futurefrog
May 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
Though I can't see a comparison to Toguro at all, I don't see anything about Genthru as noble or deep. It's possible he has more lofty goals but I just felt he was sick and enjoyed being able to kill whenever he wants. Now that doesn't mean he wasn't without some morals, he cared about his friends in a similar way the Spiders do almost. But I always thought the goal of clearing the game was sort of like other psychopaths in fiction, an excuse to pass the time and keep on killing. I mean he is laughing whenever he kills, and they even make sport of the guys they use to obtain more cards. Genthru is a depraved lunatic and I enjoy him for that, though I do wish I had more insight into his character.

Actually speaking of that, did Gon and Killua not turn them over to the Authorities at the end of Greed Island? I don't remember them doing it, but its been a long time since I've read the manga adaptation of the arc (and well scanlation translations suck). I'm not sure why they wouldn't honestly, they heal them I remember that much. But why let a killer like him free? Was it out of respect?

Gon and Killua leave them. Not so much out of respect, but more that Gon doesn't feel that Genthru is a bad person. To Gon this was all a game, Genthru lost and Gon won. You could make an arguement that Gon does not view any of Genthru's murderous actions as 'bad'. After all Genthru was just playing the game right? Gon does not think of Genthru as a bad guy, more like a final boss of a video-game, just an obstacle to overcome in order to complete the game. If I recall correctly, there is never a single moment in which Gon says or thinks that Genthru is a bad person, in fact it's more the opposite, in some ways he appears to understand and empathise with Genthru strangely enough. Genthru is in many ways the type of person Gon wants to become and defeating Genthru is one step into that direction. Gon wants to be fearsome, he wants to be strong and by the time we get to Gon vs Pitou, he has become that person. He has become a reflection of Genthru in many ways. Gon sees Genthru as someone to admire more than someone to hate. Very interesting stuff that is often overlooked. Greed Island is a brilliant arc.

There is also a quote from Genthru that really embodies his philosphy:
"The trick is to show how calm yet crazy you are" - Genthru.
This is something we come to relate with Gon in the Ants arc.

mousiehamster
May 19, 2012, 01:52 AM
Gon and Killua leave them. Not so much out of respect, but more that Gon doesn't feel that Genthru is a bad person. To Gon this was all a game, Genthru lost and Gon won. You could make an arguement that Gon does not view any of Genthru's murderous actions as 'bad'. After all Genthru was just playing the game right? Gon does not think of Genthru as a bad guy, more like a final boss of a video-game, just an obstacle to overcome in order to complete the game. If I recall correctly, there is never a single moment in which Gon says or thinks that Genthru is a bad person, in fact it's more the opposite, in some ways he appears to understand and empathise with Genthru strangely enough. Genthru is in many ways the type of person Gon wants to become and defeating Genthru is one step into that direction. Gon wants to be fearsome, he wants to be strong and by the time we get to Gon vs Pitou, he has become that person. He has become a reflection of Genthru in many ways. Gon sees Genthru as someone to admire more than someone to hate. Very interesting stuff that is often overlooked. Greed Island is a brilliant arc.

Sorry, but this is all nonsense. The only thing that is marginally true is the idea that Gon considers G.I as a game between Hunters and that therefore they should enter the game with an expectation of risk.

Popo
May 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
Sorry, but this is all nonsense. The only thing that is marginally true is the idea that Gon considers G.I as a game between Hunters and that therefore they should enter the game with an expectation of risk.
No, it's actually a very sound analysis. Gon does want to be feared. And in fact, he admires the enemies that give him chills. Hisoka, Razor, Genthru, etc. Despite the fact that all of these men have no business being role models to the boy, Gon still identifies with them and tries to understand them. In essence, he never judges anyone for their actions. He often reacts with anger and confusion, but never hatred.

However, this all changes after he sees Kite during those "Reunion" chapters. I'll update this post later with more details, but they're pretty important in tracking Gon's character development. For the first time, Gon realizes what it truly means to hate.

futurefrog, I really liked your writeup on Genthru. I've never even really considered reanalyzing his motives until now. You're right--if he was after material wealth, Genthru would have had a considerably easy time acquiring it with his abilities. Even if he is not a professional Hunter, he could become one with no problem. Money would never be an issue again. So why did Genthru come to Greed Island in the first place? What was he after?

futurefrog
May 19, 2012, 03:17 PM
No, it's actually a very sound analysis. Gon does want to be feared. And in fact, he admires the enemies that give him chills. Hisoka, Razor, Genthru, etc. Despite the fact that all of these men have no business being role models to the boy, Gon still identifies with them and tries to understand them. In essence, he never judges anyone for their actions. He often reacts with anger and confusion, but never hatred.

However, this all changes after he sees Kite during those "Reunion" chapters. I'll update this post later with more details, but they're pretty important in tracking Gon's character development. For the first time, Gon realizes what it truly means to hate.

futurefrog, I really liked your writeup on Genthru. I've never even really considered reanalyzing his motives until now. You're right--if he was after material wealth, Genthru would have had a considerably easy time acquiring it with his abilities. Even if he is not a professional Hunter, he could become one with no problem. Money would never be an issue again. So why did Genthru come to Greed Island in the first place? What was he after?

That's the thing I find interesting about Genthru, so much regarding him feels like a deception, like we are only getting half of the story with him. As you've said there are far easier ways to acquire wealth, what is it that makes it necessary for them to enter Greed Island instead of the numerous other ways to gain wealth. I think it's something much more complicated than simply wanting money, it deserves a lot more analysis. I might go reread Greed Island and see what I can discover. I know others don't find him as interesting a character, but there is something so enigmatic about him that makes me want to know more in comparison with other antagonists who we know a lot about (The King, Illumi, Chrollo to an extent). I think a lot of people just don't care about him because he lost to Gon, which is sad.

Netero
May 19, 2012, 03:41 PM
All this talk about Genthru makes me really want to re-read Greed Island.

heron bpv
May 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
The highest probability is that he was after the money, AND something else which could only be acquired in GI, like one of the cards. Let's face it people, there's no easy way to anyone to win 50 billion buckets like that, and Gensuru's Bomber ability was devilish designed to be used under a mask of deception, making it easier for him to see his nen a sure-way to win the game.

futurefrog
May 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
The highest probability is that he was after the money, AND something else which could only be acquired in GI, like one of the cards. Let's face it people, there's no easy way to anyone to win 50 billion buckets like that, and Gensuru's Bomber ability was devilish designed to be used under a mask of deception, making it easier for him to see his nen a sure-way to win the game.

If he was after one of the cards, that only thickens the plot, but makes more sense as going after the money seemed rather trivial and at times didn't really seem to be Genthru's priority. But if that is the case, which card did he want I wonder? It's a mystery. We will never know until Genthru returns to the manga. I'd actually like to see him side with Beyond Netero in Kakin. It's hard to speculate though when it comes to Genthru as Togashi intentionally leaves a lot about him as a mystery, he is very intentional is his portrayal of Genthru, he makes sure to measure the amount of detail he reveals about the man beneath the exterior. Very enigmatic character for sure.

mousiehamster
May 19, 2012, 10:42 PM
No, it's actually a very sound analysis.

No. Then again you think HxH is a deconstruction of Pokemon.

It's baseless conjecture spurred by - let's be honest - futurefrog's unreasoning fandom of Genthru. Furthermore I refer you to his posts on Genthru's purported return. Hell I refer you to his posts on Genthru in general.

futurefrog
May 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
No. Then again you think HxH is a deconstruction of Pokemon.

It's baseless conjecture spurred by - let's be honest - futurefrog's unreasoning fandom of Genthru. Furthermore I refer you to his posts on Genthru's purported return. Hell I refer you to his posts on Genthru in general.

That's okay mousie, we are all entitled to our opinions. :)
What do you think of Genthru?

baboysai
May 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
All this talk about Genthru makes me really want to re-read Greed Island.

well to be honest, Greed Island wasn't all about Genthru.

My favorite part of GI was (aside from the Razor sidequest) Gon and Killua's training with Biscuit.

I especially liked the whole part of GI that if played properly, and treated as a true game, it was really all about improving Nen. That Gon and Killua, with their innocence and determination, could easily finish the game if it weren't for the misguided scumbags who disrupted the game for wrong reasons.

mousiehamster
May 20, 2012, 01:03 AM
That's okay mousie, we are all entitled to our opinions. :)
What do you think of Genthru?

What I disagreed with is your assertion that Gon empathizes with the guy and sees him as a role model. Secondly, I don't think every villain needs to be somebody with a grandiose purpose or possess an earth shattering motive that lends sympathy. In that sense I think you attribute far too much importance to Genthru (for whatever reason that is). The thing that I suspect the audience is supposed to take away is that even a mass murdering psychopath like Genthru can have friends he'd risk his life for. I think it would somewhat defeat/cheapen the message - if you can even call it that - if suddenly Genthru returns out of nowhere, particularly as a good guy. It also lends the narrative an air of authenticity to (sometimes) leave loose ends here and there. Of course, you don't want to do that to significant characters (like the Spiders) but Genthru imo is a prime target.

As villains go, he's alright. He has interesting abilities. He's not particularly driven - he just wants to win the game. Sometimes that's enough.

futurefrog
May 20, 2012, 01:29 AM
What I disagreed with is your assertion that Gon empathizes with the guy and sees him as a role model. Secondly, I don't think every villain needs to be somebody with a grandiose purpose or possess an earth shattering motive that lends sympathy. In that sense I think you attribute far too much importance to Genthru (for whatever reason that is). The thing that I suspect the audience is supposed to take away is that even a mass murdering psychopath like Genthru can have friends he'd risk his life for. I think it would somewhat defeat/cheapen the message - if you can even call it that - if suddenly Genthru returns out of nowhere, particularly as a good guy. It also lends the narrative an air of authenticity to (sometimes) leave loose ends here and there. Of course, you don't want to do that to significant characters (like the Spiders) but Genthru imo is a prime target.

As villains go, he's alright. He has interesting abilities. He's not particularly driven - he just wants to win the game. Sometimes that's enough.

We have quite different interpretations it seems. For me personally I find Genthru to be one of the most compelling villains in the series, I do not have any qualms if he never returns again but as a fan of the character I'd like to see more stories told about him. :) I think there is a lot more left in the tank for Genthru's characterisation and his importance in my opinion surpasses almost all other villains to date (besides Hisoka) due to the fact that he changes Gon more dramatically than anyone else in the series. Genthru's effect on Gon is profound, he was Gon's first big defeat. Beating Genthru sets off the ticking time bomb inside of Gon that ultimately results in him exploding on Pitou later on down the track.

Goral
May 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
Good news guys. New group has decided to scanlate older chapters of Hunter x Hunter (the ones that look like shit) and they've just released chapters 18 and 19. You can grab them from their site: http://jwmad.blogspot.se/
I'm also pretty sure that translators/typesetters/cleaners would be welcome to help.

Uriel
May 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
And to be honest, the concept of villain in HxH is quite weird. Everyone has both "sides" in a way that is quite subtle but evident, which makes Gentrhu another interesting character. Not my favorite, actually, I personally believe He did not made such a huge impact on Gon.

mrsticky005
May 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
And to be honest, the concept of villain in HxH is quite weird. Everyone has both "sides" in a way that is quite subtle but evident, which makes Gentrhu another interesting character. Not my favorite, actually, I personally believe He did not made such a huge impact on Gon.

Maybe he didn't make such a huge impact on Gon.
But I do think Genthru was the one to show us just how crazy Gon is.
Basically Gon was always crazy and we got hints of that. But Gon vs Genthru is the moment it is fully revealed.

SHINOBI-03
May 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
I sorta forgot to write this, but I'm done with my 24 volume collection. The Chimera Ant arc is amazing! I guess my favorite part is Killua's little adventure when he kills everything in-sight in volume 23.

Some characters I still don't understand their motives yet. Like Meleoron. I'm still not sure if he's really a good guy or faking it. And the King Meryem of course. I still can't get if he's gonna have a change of heart while playing with Komugi or he's just sucking it up till the end! Kalluto's motives are still a mystery. Why did he join the Phantom Troupe? And how would Killua and the rest of the family feel about it?

I can't wait to get the next volumes.

BTW, this is my favorite one liner from the whole arc so far:
Morelf: "Dude, what's the point of having a weapon slower than your own legs?"
Cheetu: "Oh...!! 'o_o "

heron bpv
May 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
Glad to see you liked. But wait until you read the whole palace invasion part of the arc. It will answer some of the questions you asked above, and show the best parts of the arc. For me, at last ^^
Though Morau testing Gon's resolve before the invasion of Peijing is quite the moment =]

baboysai
May 20, 2012, 11:53 PM
Oh I do believe also that the palace invasion had really one of the best chapters ever drawn in the entire series! Those almost non-existent texts, the paneling, the way the story was told, and the ART! OMG the ART! Sometimes when he chooses, Togashi really does kick ass.

Akia999
May 22, 2012, 08:27 AM
To be honest ,I never did really care about Genthru . He has such an average look and his character wasn't actually memorable.Togashi didn't really bother to develop his character much in Greed Island.He was the villain of the arc,that's all there is to it.We didn't even know what happen to the bomber trio.Did someone come and kill them? There was even a joke that Togashi forgotten about them. Though I do find the post by futurefrog about Genthru to be intriguing.But I won't really think much about this character as the next time he appeared , he will end up like the other character who appeared after so long and get killed off immediately.

I do admit that the fight between genthru and gon show how crazy gon can get.But I think Gon has always been crazy.The second chapter of the manga,he jump into a raging sea to save someone without even thinking about his safety.He followed hisoka and still wanted to fight back after having his tag stolen.He got beaten up,had his arm broken ,didn't mind losing both his leg to Hanzo ,just because he don't want to surrender. He got beaten the crap out of by Canary and still won't budge.He followed the spiders and still want to fight back even when he was at the disadvantage. Doubt any sane person would do such a thing.Gon is one heck of a crazy 12-years-old.

The palace invasion was really one of the best part in the chimera ant arc.And killua mass killing was awesome too.I may consider rereading the redrawn version of it again.Because the bad art and the hiatus did make the arc hardly enjoyable at some point.

Also,came across some fanart.
Phinks.Which is pretty awesome.
http://s2.zerochan.net/240/17/44/1109717.jpg (http://www.zerochan.net/1109717)

And a rare fanart of Kurapika and melody.
http://s2.zerochan.net/240/39/47/1114889.jpg (http://www.zerochan.net/1114889)

baboysai
May 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
that's wishful thinking though, the fanart. changing melody's looks... I feel it's a bit judgmental. :/

Uriel
May 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
that's wishful thinking though, the fanart. changing melody's looks... I feel it's a bit judgmental. :/
Quite a lot. Although I'm dying to see her look previous to the curse.

futurefrog
May 22, 2012, 04:53 PM

Judgemental? How? The fan art is just drawing her pre-curse.

TheAmericandream
May 22, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hm, I hope she never gets rid of the curse personally. I think her design is so interesting. I mean if she does remove it, maybe at the very end of the series. I saw her backstory about the spell cast on her as more of a good way for Kurapika and Melody to connect, and also show that each of the body guards probably have a deep history we may never fully know about. I have almost no interest in seeing it explored further I guess because I think her ailment is part of what I like about her.

Akia999
While I found Genthru vs Bomber fascinating and awesome, I never got the feeling Togashi had a grand scheme for the Bomber team (or the feeling that Togashi cared about them at all). Maybe that's just the feeling I got with how much about him is in mystery compared to every other HxH villain. I'd be surprised if we saw him again and he was developed more honestly. But that brings up an interesting discussion we could have.

What does the future hold for HxH characters?
What are the side characters people want to see most in the next coming arcs and who do you want to see development from? This isn't including out main cast, Zodiacs or Beyond Netero (since they seem to be the focus currently) There's a huge laundry list of characters and hanging plot threads in HxH, but thats one of my favorite things about the series, it leaves it open to endless debate and theorizing (much like say tv's LOST). But there are certain plot threads/characters we'd all want to see wrapped up or fleshed out more then others.

I'm sure I speak for several people when I say I want more Spiders, but what exactly? I actually don't think I need more Spiders vs Kurapika, I'd be more interested in seeing whether or not Chrollo reunites with the other members and what his real intentions/goals are. I honestly don't really know beyond stealing, the scene where Gon asks what allows Chrollo to kill freely and why was always so fascinating to me. Obviously Kurapika's involvement with the Spiders is the curse on Chrollo but beyond that I wouldn't mind if they never really interacted again.

Anyone else still holding out any hope for Battle Olympia? I'd honestly love to see that.

futurefrog
May 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
Hm, I hope she never gets rid of the curse personally. I think her design is so interesting. I mean if she does remove it, maybe at the very end of the series. I saw her backstory about the spell cast on her as more of a good way for Kurapika and Melody to connect, and also show that each of the body guards probably have a deep history we may never fully know about. I have almost no interest in seeing it explored further I guess because I think her ailment is part of what I like about her.

Akia999
While I found Genthru vs Bomber fascinating and awesome, I never got the feeling Togashi had a grand scheme for the Bomber team (or the feeling that Togashi cared about them at all). Maybe that's just the feeling I got with how much about him is in mystery compared to every other HxH villain. I'd be surprised if we saw him again and he was developed more honestly. But that brings up an interesting discussion we could have.

What does the future hold for HxH characters?
What are the side characters people want to see most in the next coming arcs and who do you want to see development from? This isn't including out main cast, Zodiacs or Beyond Netero (since they seem to be the focus currently) There's a huge laundry list of characters and hanging plot threads in HxH, but thats one of my favorite things about the series, it leaves it open to endless debate and theorizing (much like say tv's LOST). But there are certain plot threads/characters we'd all want to see wrapped up or fleshed out more then others.

I'm sure I speak for several people when I say I want more Spiders, but what exactly? I actually don't think I need more Spiders vs Kurapika, I'd be more interested in seeing whether or not Chrollo reunites with the other members and what his real intentions/goals are. I honestly don't really know beyond stealing, the scene where Gon asks what allows Chrollo to kill freely and why was always so fascinating to me. Obviously Kurapika's involvement with the Spiders is the curse on Chrollo but beyond that I wouldn't mind if they never really interacted again.

Anyone else still holding out any hope for Battle Olympia? I'd honestly love to see that.

I want to see the following side characters return/given more focus:
- Genthru
- Hanzo
- Zepile
- Kite and Koala
- Wing and Zushi
- Biscuit

I'd like to see these side characters again in a greater capacity.

As for your question regarding Battle Olympia, I actually mentioned in a thread a while ago that I want the final battle of Gon and Hisoka to occur at Battle Olympia as I feel that the place of their first battle should also be the place of their last battle. Heaven's Arena is a grand stage and a place where people go for the thrill of fighting, the perfect stage or Hisoka and Gon's final showdown.

To be entirely honest, I am not at all interested in seeing the Spiders in the manga again any time soon. I feel that other characters are more deserving of time. The Spiders have been in every arc since their appearance, I think the next arc should take a break from them and focus on lesser developed characters.

TheAmericandream
May 23, 2012, 12:54 AM
Well to be fair I placed my emphasis on Chrollo, but I actually agree with you, when a series has such a large cast it can become difficult to balance them all (Naruto Bleach).

Hisoka hints that him and Gon should fight again outside the ring, so I don't know if we'll see them go at it again like in Heaven's Arena, but I'd enjoy it.

I love Zepile, I think he was a really neat minor character, he's very modest but determined in his craft. And although its mostly unrelated to the main plot I felt it showed us the non combat skills Hunters could learn, I totally get his desire to help Gon and Killua after having his work complimented even though he didn't think much of it himself. I hope he isn't killed off or totally forgotten, I'd like to see his expertise be of use in the future.

I'd like to see what Zushi's goals are, we really don't know much about him, or how he even came to Heaven's Arena.

I think everyone wants more Hanzo, he was just a likeable guy. This new arc was quite the spectacle for me since I could only imagine the types of adventures we could see with all these old faces returning.

mrsticky005
May 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
With all this talk of Genthru I thought I should try coloring him.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/146/e/3/hxh_coloring__genthru_the_bomber_unofficial_colors_by_mrsticky005-d5169x9.jpg

Also here's my Kite coloring if you haven't seen it before

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/145/4/a/hunter_x_hunter_coloring__kite__unofficial_colors_by_mrsticky005-d5144la.jpg

SHINOBI-03
May 25, 2012, 02:45 PM
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/d160b6d8512028c39722262bdd52e8ca1337974559_full.jpg

Yep, Hisoka is a pedo!

Crude
May 25, 2012, 03:28 PM
I remember finding that scene very disturbing. Wonder if they'll actually show it in the new anime?

mrsticky005
May 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
I remember finding that scene very disturbing. Wonder if they'll actually show it in the new anime?

It's possible since little kids just might not get the inneundeo to be affected by it.

Googlez_kun
May 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
The scene was disturbing,but quite funny at the same time.Not something you see in your everyday shonen.
I think they will show it.I know they did in the old anime.

SHINOBI-03
May 25, 2012, 03:41 PM

Let's see first if they will show us Hisoka's glowing boner erection excitement in his fight with Gon. Even though we saw it in the first ending.

futurefrog
May 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
They will definitely show it. Sexual innuendo is easy to get passed censors when done subtley. For example when Hisoka 'checks out' Gon and Killua's buttoxes, a child would think that Hisoka looking at Gon and Killua just scares them, they would not associate it at all with any manner of sexuality because children don't think that way for the most part.

shareme
May 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
I remember the talk on another board. Some Hisoka fans insist that he's not really a pedo (or a gay pedo <---- my take) as he is just battle sexual.

Oh yes, Hisoka's really thinking of "battling" Gon and Killua at the same time in this page. Surely, their Nen comes out of their asses. :teehee

Crude
May 25, 2012, 06:37 PM
Kids might not understand this scene, but their parents probably would. The reason it was shown in the old anime was probably because it was in an OVA rather than a televised show.

Uriel
May 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
Well, We can't deny there is some sort of battle there. Hum.
I think they will surely censor that, I've no doubt. Laws are more strict now than it was before when it comes to pedophilia. Which I, btw, completely support.

mrsticky005
May 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
Well, We can't deny there is some sort of battle there. Hum.
I think they will surely censor that, I've no doubt. Laws are more strict now than it was before when it comes to pedophilia. Which I, btw, completely support.

I think how they will do it is something like this...

Hisoka is following Gon and Killua.

Full figure View of Gon and Killua from behind is shown but there is no zoom in. But it is clear that Hisoka is watching them.

Close up on Hisoka's face. Hisoka's eye slowly move downwards...then he smiles perversely.

Gon and Killua are NOT shown when Hisoka's eyes move downwards but it shouldn't be difficult to guess what Hisoka is interested in.

Gon and Killua shudder.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Add in some lip licking and well...that should get the point across.

Uriel
May 26, 2012, 01:32 AM
Thing is not what is shown or not, but what implies. In that regard I think the whole scene will be disregard.

Akia999
May 26, 2012, 04:28 AM
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/d160b6d8512028c39722262bdd52e8ca1337974559_full.jpg

Yep, Hisoka is a pedo!

I think they would show this in the new anime.I don't see why it should be taken out considering that the greed island ova showed this part.It's not that disturbing as this 2 page.

http://i34.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/158/hunter-x-hunter-326129.jpg
http://i2.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/158/hunter-x-hunter-326130.jpg
From what I guesed ,there is probably sexual innuendo in this 2 page.

futurefrog
May 26, 2012, 05:57 AM
I don't think the scene will be censored at all. There is literally no sexual content at all there, hardly even insinuated. Sure Hisoka looks at Gon and Killua's asses, does that mean he wants to have sex with them? No I highly doubt that. Instead Hisoka wants to fight them. The scene is played for comic relief it's nothing too serious, there shouldn't be any real problem with that scene whatsoever. Also Hisoka is never said to be a pedophile, nor has he ever committed pedophilic acts in the entirety of Hunter x Hunter, chill out guys. He is a complicated character with motivations that he probably doesn't even fully understand.

Uriel
May 26, 2012, 08:21 AM
Errr. He does. And He's always playing with that, actually. I never said He was a pedophile, but the scene per se is purely that. And laws on japan became pretty strict lately, so I'm just stating what I think it will happen to the whole scene: It WILL be censored.

mrsticky005
May 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Thing is not what is shown or not, but what implies. In that regard I think the whole scene will be disregard.

I don't think so. I think they will still have it just changed up a bit. If they want they could do it completely non sexual...here's how

Hisoka is following Gon and Killua

Hisoka observes their nen and is pleased by it

Gon and Killua shudder because Hisoka is creepy

Now it's not exactly the same as the manga but it's at least similar in effect. Plus no innuendo.

Crude
May 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
^ If they do it like that then I can see the station actually airing the scene. The unedited/uncensored scene is something that they could only get away with if HxH was a late-night anime (or if it was included in an OVA like the old anime).

futurefrog
May 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
Wow, I reallly am shocked that you guys think this scene has a real chance of being censored. It's pretty tame to be completely honest. Sure there is the implication, but the implication in itself isn't too heavily implied. For example look at the way Togashi panelled it, if he didn't split the panel of Gon and Killua walking none of you would think he looked at their asses, just that him looking at them creeped them out. Let's just agree to disagree haha

mrsticky005
May 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
Wow, I reallly am shocked that you guys think this scene has a real chance of being censored. It's pretty tame to be completely honest. Sure there is the implication, but the implication in itself isn't too heavily implied. For example look at the way Togashi panelled it, if he didn't split the panel of Gon and Killua walking none of you would think he looked at their asses, just that him looking at them creeped them out. Let's just agree to disagree haha

Well what I'm saying is they'll have the scene just without that panel focus. And I do think Togashi did that on purpose.

Uriel
May 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
I think you're naive to your own sake xD If you were a parent that would be something that will annoy you. Not that I'm a parent, but I can understand the feeling.

futurefrog
May 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
I think you're naive to your own sake xD If you were a parent that would be something that will annoy you. Not that I'm a parent, but I can understand the feeling.

I think you are right in that way. Personally for me I am not bothered by this and find it simply funny, but a parent may not want their children to see this innuendo I suppose.

baboysai
May 27, 2012, 01:55 AM
I believe that's where the discussion sprang up in the first place :-_- Because it's television and is more accessible than manga, the laws are stricter and it will receive more complaints if explicit scenes may be shown for something supposedly child-friendly like HxH.

But I don't really care. They may or may not show that scene and Hisoka would still remain creepy as hell. Sure his pedophile-ish motivations would add sooooo much more characterization for people who read the manga, but it just ain't wise to show it on television- unless, like all of you seem to agree, they find a very subtle work-around for it.

TheAmericandream
May 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
So watching the new episode of the HxH anime (33), a question came into mind. How is aura able to be recorded on film? I mean I know its actually there, but the whole Gyo watching the video never made that much sense to me. How can footage secretly show up? The 1999 series added a line about a manipulation user filming the video, that made some sense to me, but still not really (and that's filler anyway). So any thoughts or possible explanations for this?

Uriel
May 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
Well, depends on what camera. I always thought it was due the Nen IN the camera, but now I just think that everything can be photographed and look later their Nen signature.

Akia999
May 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
There was the presence of nen during the fight even though the audience couldn't notice it ,but the camera is able to pick it up.But only those who learned nen are able to see it.One of the best example I can think of is how some people are able to see a ghost in photograph when there shouldn't be one.Because logically the camera shouldn't be able to capture it because it can't be seen. I have no idea what i just say...

futurefrog
May 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
I always thought of it as always being there but only some can see it and others can not, it's not like the camera is a human being, it films what is there and if nen is there I'm sure it captures it, but only skilled Nen users can see it. But yes I think Akia has the right idea with how cameras sometimes manage to film 'ghosts'.

TheAmericandream
May 28, 2012, 12:22 AM
How can a camera pick up things and digitize it, it doesn't actually make sense in the context of Nen, because well, Nen isn't real. So I think what Akia and Uriel said works for me. It's like a Ghost in a photograph, supernatural, but somehow it left its imprint. Thanks for tackling this query of mine guys. :)

Crude
May 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
I always saw it as something akin to a colour blind person viewing a photograph/video. The colours are there, the person simply can't see them is all.

futurefrog
May 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
I always saw it as something akin to a colour blind person viewing a photograph/video. The colours are there, the person simply can't see them is all.

Spot on. I think you have the right idea here.

TheAmericandream
May 29, 2012, 03:28 AM
That is a wonderful analogy!

SHINOBI-03
May 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
So watching the new episode of the HxH anime (33), a question came into mind. How is aura able to be recorded on film? I mean I know its actually there, but the whole Gyo watching the video never made that much sense to me. How can footage secretly show up? The 1999 series added a line about a manipulation user filming the video, that made some sense to me, but still not really (and that's filler anyway). So any thoughts or possible explanations for this?

First, remember this: This is a fantasy show. Anything is possible. What works in their world doesn't necessary mean it works the same as the real world and doesn't require logic.

Second: Maybe their cameras are so advanced that they can capture nen. Imagine it if it's combine the normal camera and the thermal camera. It captures the normal footage and the heat areas.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c4/59/51/thermal.jpg

However, in order to watch the heat areas, you need to use a certain footage filter, and in this case, the filter is the gyo.

Netero
June 04, 2012, 10:41 PM
This news is a little old, but Hunter x Hunter is the third best! selling manga of the fist half of 2012.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012-first-half

nfinitfx
June 06, 2012, 07:37 AM
This must have been mentioned before.

But this new world must be the equivalaent of the gourmet world in Toriko world

Crude
June 06, 2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah I think a lot of people thought of the Gourmet World in Toriko when reading that particular chapter (I know I did xD). I think it's less the fact that the Dark Continent is an unexplored world rather than the fact that it seems to be a continet which surrounds the regular world. Both series' tamed worlds seem to be in the middle of a giant lake belonging to a huge continent.

SHINOBI-03
June 08, 2012, 10:18 AM
It looks like the Japanese volume 23 has a little bit of censorship too.
http://pic.tenmanga.com/comics/16378/153445/75fca39619796228e6b3f3ab2cc0ebab.jpg

I took two pictures of what Viz censored, and to be honest it's not that bad.

censored

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc389/NJZanDatsuX/vizcencorship.jpg?t=1336006005

uncensored

http://pic.tenmanga.com/comics/16378/153445/26a6bd1ee535715480898b5e9ebd03a7.jpg

censored

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc389/NJZanDatsuX/vizcencorship2.jpg?t=1336005967

uncensored

http://pic.tenmanga.com/comics/16378/153445/8b227908914255b00f0d9db486bffdc3.jpg

Looks like even the Japanese volumes are censored! I though the censorship was Viz's doing.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH%20CA/HUNTER23_0009.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH%20CA/HUNTER23_0011.jpg

Chrollo
June 09, 2012, 10:40 AM
Hey guys im new here! Kinda! In a way :p
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/06/09/hunter-x-hunter-heading-into-phantom-troupe-arc-new-cast-members-announced
This list is so awesome!

SHINOBI-03
June 09, 2012, 01:43 PM
Hey guys im new here! Kinda! In a way :p
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/06/09/hunter-x-hunter-heading-into-phantom-troupe-arc-new-cast-members-announced
This list is so awesome!

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/76941-Hunter-X-Hunter-New-Anime-Discussion

Goral
June 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Is there anyone willing to translate these two pages? (http://jwmad.blogspot.se/2012/06/chapter-26.html)

TheAmericandream
June 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
http://andriasang.com/con1eh/hunter_date/ I'm so not excited about this game, but figured others might like to see news on it.

Akia999
June 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
Originally,I wanted it post it up at the anime thread but it doesn't fit.
This is all taken from the 2004 data book.
This is the result of the popularity poll for the 2nd and 3rd round.It took place at the beginning of the chimera ant arc.
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/195.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/196.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/197.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/198.jpg

Even if it is in chinese,I think it still understandable.

And then ,there is also a poll for the best fight in the series.

http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/199.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/200.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/201.jpg

There is also a poll for the best "fight" without resorting to much violence.:)
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/202.jpg

Another poll for the nen ablity .Guess who came in first.

http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/203.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/204.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/205.jpg

A poll for the best quote.
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/207.jpghttp://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/208.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/209.jpg
http://s3.mangahead.com/mangas/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/210.jpg

The translation for the best quote.
My chinese is horrendous. So, I'll just try my best to give a rough translate.
1st -Actually...it is the opposite Gon ,I'm the lucky one.I'm glad to be able to meet you.(Killua)

2nd- Gon...you are just like the light. Sometimes it's jarring to the eye ,making it hard for me to look .Even so, can I still stay by your side? (Killua)

3rd - Even if my secret got leaked out ,I won't regret it. Because I have a bunch of good friends here. (Kurapika)

4th -The ball has to be hold by Killua.... (G.I) (Gon)

5th -I will most definitely introduce Killua to him! I'll say he is "my best friend in the world"! (Gon)

6th- I want to be friend with Gon...(Killua)

7th -Are you guys willing to believe me, to eat my bullets ? (Pakunoda)

8th - Why don't you think about the people that you killed ? (Gon)

9th - To be able to meet you ,it is really wonderful ! (Gon)

10th - Uvogin ,do you hear it? This is the lullaby that we're performing for you.
(Chrollo)

11th - I'll bet my life one it. (Kurapika)

12th -Kaito will definitely be alive.He won't ...lose to that kind of person! (Gon)

The remainding is some bunch of quote by Hisoka that I don't want to translate.

Netero
June 11, 2012, 10:35 PM
I can't see the images above :(

baboysai
June 12, 2012, 12:06 AM
no hotlinking from there i believe.

Akia999
June 12, 2012, 01:56 AM
I can't see the images above :(

I don't really know what is the problem. But here is the link.It start from page 195 to page 210. (The website is being a bit of an annoyance currently)

http://mangahead.com/index.php/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/Hunter-X-Hunter-Character-and-World-Official-Databook/?page=9

In case ,it doesn't work again.Here the summary starting from the best fight.i didn't include the most popular character because it can be seen on the wikia page.

Best fight
1 -Kuroro vs Silva and Zeno (208 votes)
2-Kurapika vs Uvogin(149 votes)
3-Gon vs Genthru (100 v)
4-Gon vs razor(97 v)
5-Gon vs Hisoka(80 v)
6-Gon vs hanzo(53 v)
7-Killua vs Johness (45 v)
8-Hisoka vs Kastro(42 v)
9 -Kaito vs pitou (40 v)
10 - Killua vs Illumi and Bisuke vs one of the bomber trio (24 v)

Best "Non violent fight" in no particular order

1-Leorio haggling with shop owner for the phone
2-Gon vs Killua (who eats the fastest competition)
3 -Gotou vs Gon,kurapika and Leorio (coin trick)
4-Gon vs Nobunga (arm wrestling)

Nen ability

1-Bisuke ability (184 votes)
2-Chrollo ability (96 v)
3-Owl ability (shadow beast guy) (87 v)
4-Hisoka ability -Bungee gum (73 v)
5 -Hisoka ability -Texture suprise (56 v)
6 -kortopi ability (48 votes)
7-sharlnark ability (40 v)
8 -Machi ability (37 v)
9 -Gon ability (32 v)
10-Kaito ability (29 v)

TheAmericandream
June 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Yea I actually own the 2004 guide book, I am still pretty glad I picked it up. Some of the most popular choices are fairly obvious to me. I'm glad to see the non violent fights mentioned. I'd be really curious to see a Shonen Jump poll taken of the most recent two arcs being counted. I'm sure Netero vs Meryem and Gon vs Pitou would be up there, though my favorite NGL battle is probably Yupi vs Knuckle, Shoot, Meloreon, Morel and Killua and if it counts for one big battle the Spiders vs the ants.

Akia999
June 12, 2012, 08:34 PM
Yea I actually own the 2004 guide book, I am still pretty glad I picked it up. Some of the most popular choices are fairly obvious to me. I'm glad to see the non violent fights mentioned. I'd be really curious to see a Shonen Jump poll taken of the most recent two arcs being counted. I'm sure Netero vs Meryem and Gon vs Pitou would be up there, though my favorite NGL battle is probably Yupi vs Knuckle, Shoot, Meloreon, Morel and Killua and if it counts for one big battle the Spiders vs the ants.

With the exception of Bisuke .I didn't really expect that she will come in first for the nen ability.
I know.It is about time they do another poll. It's overdue.
I didn't really like Gon vs Pitou because the power up things annoy me.
For me ,it will be: (Just based on the two recent arc)

Best fight
1)Killua vs Ortho siblings and the chimera ant soldier.
2)The spiders vs Zazan squad
3)Killua vs Palm
4)Gon vs Knuckle
5)Moral vs Leol
6)Zeno and Netero vs Pitou
7) Ging vs anonymous hunters

Best non violent fight
1) meryem vs komugi
2) Palm vs Meryem
3)Pariston trolling the Zodiac
4) Killua vs Illumi (election arc)

Uriel
June 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Hm, I wouldn't forget to put Hisoka vs Gotoh there. That fight was amazing.

Akia999
June 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hm, I wouldn't forget to put Hisoka vs Gotoh there. That fight was amazing.

Kinda forgot about that .But I didn't really like the fight .It felt a bit too one-sided to me .Hisoka was clearly having the upper end in the fight.
Now that you mention about Hisoka , I think I should add Hisoka vs anonymous hunter to the list.

TheAmericandream
June 14, 2012, 05:08 AM
All my female friends who love HxH, think Biske's ability is easily the best and magnificent. I agree, the whole 30 minutes equals full nights sleep? That alone makes it top ten worthy to me. Chrollo's Nen is my choice for no 1.

My top 10 Hatsu
Nen Abilities
Skill Hunter (Chrollo)
Biske's ability
Morel's Smokey Jail
Indoor Fish (so quirky)
Deceitful Texture (Texture Surprise) Hisoka
Kortopi's Copying ability
Blinky (Deme Chan) Shizuku
White/Black Gorillas (Gorain)
Zeno's Dragon Head

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Hisoka vs Gotoh is really awesome to me if not because I felt its one of Togashi's best drawn chapters in the series. It's very short and 1 sided, but I'm very used to that since most HxH fights could be described as 1 sided slaughters.

SHINOBI-03
June 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/6b297461d57eab299f938a2ac29b1b321339687276_full.jpg

Uriel
June 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
We should make a mini tournament of the best Nen Techniques.

Depp Purple is one of my favorites. It's so well done and SO versatile.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

BTW, the best Zodiac Group Pic I've seen so far:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5m4l0fVBu1roljvko1_1280.jpg

TheAmericandream
June 14, 2012, 12:43 PM
^ Bunny being covered up by Tiger :/, pretty awesome otherwise.

Akia999
June 16, 2012, 12:33 AM
All my female friends who love HxH, think Biske's ability is easily the best and magnificent. I agree, the whole 30 minutes equals full nights sleep? That alone makes it top ten worthy to me. Chrollo's Nen is my choice for no 1.

My top 10 Hatsu
Nen Abilities
Skill Hunter (Chrollo)
Biske's ability
Morel's Smokey Jail
Indoor Fish (so quirky)
Deceitful Texture (Texture Surprise) Hisoka
Kortopi's Copying ability
Blinky (Deme Chan) Shizuku
White/Black Gorillas (Gorain)
Zeno's Dragon Head

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Hisoka vs Gotoh is really awesome to me if not because I felt its one of Togashi's best drawn chapters in the series. It's very short and 1 sided, but I'm very used to that since most HxH fights could be described as 1 sided slaughters.

I do agree with you about Bisuke's ability .In the real world ,it is the most useful ability .Just that it suprised me because most people think her ability is pretty useless in terms of combat.
Now I just remember ,that I forgotten about Knov and Palm ability. Knov ability is pretty versatile.Palm ability is pretty cool minus the fact that you have a crystal attach to your head.
True.But I didn't like the fight because it felt irrelevant.

We should make a mini tournament of the best Nen Techniques.

Depp Purple is one of my favorites. It's so well done and SO versatile.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

BTW, the best Zodiac Group Pic I've seen so far:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5m4l0fVBu1roljvko1_1280.jpg

Creating a poll for this would be rather difficult though.
Agreed.
Pariston and ging aren't there and piyon got blocked by tiger.But it's still nice

--------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note,I found some gorgeous fanart.

One of my favourite Komugi fanart

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/Komugi.jpg

Hisoka and Illumi (gender bender version) One of my favourite of this duo.
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterXHunterhisokaillumi.jpg

Ging and Gon

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterXHunterfull1027665.jpg

Palm
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/PalmSiberiafull1046281.jpg

Zodiac 12
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterJyuunishinfull877221.jpg

Kikyo ,one of the best fanart I seen.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/KikyoZoldyck6001049062.jpg

SHINOBI-03
June 17, 2012, 04:33 AM
I took two nen personalty tests.

The first test tells me I'm an Emitter. The second gave me percentage of the types I have: Emitter (100%), Conjurer (100%), Transmuter (50%), Manipulator (0%), Enhancer (0%), Specialist (0%)

See what type of aura you have by using either or both of the links below:

http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes/3663260/whats-is-your-hunter-x-hunter-nen-type
http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=Youkai

Uriel
June 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
The first one: Specialization.
The second one:
Emission (100%)
Materialization (75%)
Manipulation (50%)
Transformation (50%)
Reinforement (0%)
Specialization (0%)

I wouldn't trust those though. This is the first time ANY test (Even Hisoka's one) says I'm a Emitter. And the first one is too biased for anyone to know a little of HxH. The color thing also is extremely limited.

Demonspeed
June 17, 2012, 12:02 PM
I prefer this test:
http://www.selectsmart.com/plus/select.php?url=Nen

Uriel
June 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hum, weird test. I got weird results as well.
Materialization - Nen Abilities (100%)
Manipulation - Nen Abilities (97%)
Reinforcement - Nen Abilities (96%)
Specialization - Nen Abilities (93%)
Transformation - Nen Abilities (81%)
Emission - Nen Abilities (74%)
How can I have more than 80% at most things? Still, it does indeed gives me a results I think it's appropriate: Materialization.

SHINOBI-03
June 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
I prefer this test:
http://www.selectsmart.com/plus/select.php?url=Nen

Conjuration (100%)
Emission (85%)
Enhancement (85%)
Transmutation (82%)
Manipulation (79%)
Specialization (58%)

Emission and conjuration are still my top results.

Netero
June 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
My results below.
v

Reinforcement - Nen Abilities (88%)

Emission - Nen Abilities (87%)

Manipulation - Nen Abilities (86%)

Transformation- Nen Abilities (69%)

Specialization - Nen Abilities (44%)

Demonspeed
June 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Wow, including me,we have 4 conjurers.

Salce
June 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
My results:

Manipulation - Nen Abilities (88%)
Reinforcement - Nen Abilities (79%)
Transformation - Nen Abilities (77%)
Emission - Nen Abilities (75%)
Specialization - Nen Abilities (63%)

Maybe the test isn't working well. We all got 100% in materialization.

Crude
June 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
I also got Materialization actually...

Netero
June 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
Okay. This test can't be right 6 people in a row getting Materialization...

kindredxiuxiu
June 17, 2012, 08:55 PM
Transformation - Nen Abilities (100%)
Materialization - Nen Abilities (93%)
Reinforcement - Nen Abilities (87%)
Manipulation - Nen Abilities (85%)
Emission - Nen Abilities (70%)
Specialization - Nen Abilities (64%)

This is what I got. I guess I'm the oddball. :P

Netero
June 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
^maybe the test isn't broken after all..... lol.

Dragon123133
June 18, 2012, 01:16 AM
Transformation - Nen Abilities (100%)
Emission - Nen Abilities (97%)
Specialization - Nen Abilities (81%)
Reinforcement - Nen Abilities (73%)
Materialization - Nen Abilities (71%)
Manipulation - Nen Abilities (63%)

Fox666
June 18, 2012, 02:33 AM
I like this, I am good in two abilities

Reinforcement - Nen Abilities (100%)

Materialization - Nen Abilities (98%)

Manipulation - Nen Abilities (88%)

Emission - Nen Abilities (74%)

Transformation - Nen Abilities (71%)

Specialization - Nen Abilities (63%)

rail-tracer
June 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
hi guys, look the last news at WSJ about HxH >
http://www.shonenjump.com/j/rensai/hunter/

and the last news here >
http://www.ntv.co.jp/hunterhunter/news/#12559

I know some japanese but i cant understand what did they mean > Is it one can help !!

Diivil
June 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
hi guys, look the last news at WSJ about HxH >
http://www.shonenjump.com/j/rensai/hunter/

I know some japanese but i cant understand what did they mean > Is it one can help !!

Used Google translator so it not perfect.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/awesome_screenshot/390029?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1340059377&Signature=aMzFSnu0Bu%2Fbt83psC8VbBZTUek%3D

rail-tracer
June 18, 2012, 05:58 PM
Used Google translator so it not perfect.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/awesome_screenshot/390029?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1340059377&Signature=aMzFSnu0Bu%2Fbt83psC8VbBZTUek%3D

I know but my weak japanese give the same result of google translator, so I ask for detail if there is someone good at japanese

I understand that the first one talk about date of phantom group arc & the second about a real tripy like hunter >

but look at dates here, i think it's more than this >
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH%20YN/545270_458511210844895_633026028_n.jpg

this pic has alot of Kanji so i cant understand

futurefrog
June 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Those pages you linked don't say anything we don't already know. Pretty much just announcing that the Troupe arc is starting soon and who will voice who.

fanatik
June 21, 2012, 02:28 AM
Is there anyone willing to translate these two pages? (http://jwmad.blogspot.se/2012/06/chapter-26.html)Yeah, but why these two? There're 3 more profiles in Treasure vol.1 and 3 pages about Hunters in general and the Hunter Association.
Kurapika
Mermen Beans' top secret files
People
Kurapika-san has an impressive appearance, he is calm and intellectual. I will tell you in private about his secrets.

Basic info
Age 17
Blood type AB
Height 171cm
Weight 59kg
Birthday April 4
Birthplace Rukuso province

Avenger burning with hatred behind composed facade
The survivor of the small Kurta tribe. He takes the Hunter exam in order to become a Hunter and retrieve scarlet eyes of his fellow clansmen, annihilated by the Genei Ryodan. His mind is keen enough to allow him to obtain extensive knowledge to through self-study. Although he has a calm personality, he's also prideful and stubborn. As to his physical abilities, not only he possesses a fair amount of stamina but also knowledgeable in martial arts with quick attacks being his forte.

Personality
Bubble: Odd...! How is that even possible?!
Bubble: He clearly ate more than his own body weight!
Bubble: You know... you really shouldn't think about it so earnestly...
Kurapika lacks flexibility because he tends to take things too seriously and mull over them too deeply.(1)

Objective
Bubble: I'm going to hund down the Genei Ryodan without fail!
Bubble: And I will retrieve all the eyes of my comrades!
In order to hunt down the Genei Ryodan who massacred all of his fellow clansmen Kurapika aims to become a Hunter because Hunters can get access to all kinds of information.

Key persons
The Genei Ryodan
There is no one among hunter candidates who hasn't heard about this gang of thieves thought to be the worst in all the history. They attacked the Kurta tribe just for the sake of taking their eyes which are considered one of the seven most beautiful colors in the world.

Bubble: This is proof that I'm a member of the Genei Ryodan!
Bubble: First, to prove their membership in the Ryodan, there is a member's number inside their spider tattoo.
Bubble: Second, they don't bother counting how many people they've killed.
Although normally calm, Kurapika immediately gets worked up at the slightest mention of the Spiders. (2)
There is a tattoo of a spider with 12 legs somewhere on a member's body proving their membership. (3)

Future prospects
He is willing to sacrifice his life in order to crush the Genei Ryodan!
As the last survivor of the Kurta tribe, he lives to avenge his late clansmen. To hunt down the Genei Ryodan, any means would go, and in order to fulfil his much desired revenge he's prepared to pay with his life.
Bubble: I will bet my life.
bubble: What a dreadful sound of fierce fury and immense hatred! He forgot all about me...
His hatred towards the Genei Ryodan is so immense that those who felt it couldn't help but tremble. Spurred on by his quest for revenge, he strongly lusts for power, which raises concerns that he might be on his way to self destruction.

(1) In the second phase of the Hunter Exam an examiner named Buhara ate 70 whole roasted pigs. When faced with something outside his knowledge, it's difficult for Kurapika to put his thoughts in order.
(2) When his emotions are hightened, his eyes change color to brilliant scarlet - a genetic feature characteristic of the Kurta tribe.
(3) During the third phase of the Hunter Exam, a prisoner named Majitani administering a test did not have a member number on the spider, thus, his tattoo was exposed as a fake.

Hisoka
Mermen Beans' top secret files
People
We will now look at the secrets of Hisoka-san who, like last year, this year, too, attacks other examinees and falls into the category of people requiring special attention.

Basic info
Age Unknowm
Blood type B
Height 187cm
Weight 91kg
Birthday June 5
Birthplace Unknown

Majician unpredictable in his words and actions
A battle maniac whose goal is to fight strong opponents; he possesses a genius-level battle sense far superior to other examinees. Since he's a majician and a whimsical liar, there's no understanding him. He did things like almost killing an examineer he didn't like during the 286 Hunter Exam which got him disqualified, or mercilessly attacking those he doesn't find interesting which leads to their death.

Objective
Bubble: For example, if a Hunter happens to kill a person,
Bubble: in many cases he's exempt from responsibility.
He wants to be a Hunter only because Hunters are exempt from responsibility when they kill people. Wanting to enjoy battle is the objective unique to Hisoka.

Personality
Bubble: I only spare those killing whom now would be a waste.
He has a perverse side favoring those in whom he senses potential. (1)

Key person
Gon Freeccs
He pays close attention to the abilities of Gon whom he met in the course of the 287 Hunter Exam. He decided to fight and kill Gon only after Gon's developing power fully matured, until then he won't fight him seriously.

When the poisoned Gon managed to still tand up, Hisoka distinctly sensed a lot of potential in him.
Bubble: Until the fruit fully ripens...
He expects a lot from Gon and is exited to see him grow. His infatuation with him is such that he warned Illumi not to interfere with the boy. (2)

Future prospects
He can be an enemy or an ally depending on which option satisfies his desires best.
Since his craving to fight strong opponents is the driving force behind his actions, the notion of being an enemy or an ally is non-existent for him. For the sake of satisfying his desires, today's enemy might become his tomorrow's friend.

Even Killua, highly proficient in fighting, is overwhelmed by Hisoka's power! If they were to fight, he stands no chance against him?! (3)

Hisoka who boasts rare fighting skills and techniques is peerless! Nothing can be as reassuring as having him as an ally.

(1) When his lust for battle reaches its peak, he gets sexually aroused, driven by the urge to kill.
(2) Illumi is Hisoka's aquaintance, and during the 287 Hunter Exam they join forces.
(3) Hisoka's playing cards are as sharp as any knife. It's also possible to throw them like shurikens.

Nen ability

1-Bisuke ability (184 votes)
2-Chrollo ability (96 v)
3-Owl ability (shadow beast guy) (87 v)
4-Hisoka ability -Bungee gum (73 v)
5 -Hisoka ability -Texture suprise (56 v)
6 -kortopi ability (48 votes)
7-sharlnark ability (40 v)
8 -Machi ability (37 v)
9 -Gon ability (32 v)
10-Kaito ability (29 v)I always wondered about that one... Why did Bisuke's ability get the 1st place? I wonder if it means that more than a half of HxH readers are females? But even still, I'd put a lot of abilities before hers like Kuroro's or Zeno's...

Tombadgerlock
June 21, 2012, 04:14 AM
I always wondered about that one... Why did Bisuke's ability get the 1st place? I wonder if it means that more than a half of HxH readers are females? But even still, I'd put a lot of abilities before hers like Kuroro's or Zeno's...

Very few abilities are as good as Bisuke's in a pure "utility" way.

Zeon's and Novu's are arguably on the same level, and Kuroro's possibly, but that's pretty much all.

TheAmericandream
June 21, 2012, 04:49 AM
You gotta think of "real world usage too", her ability is very relatable. I'd use it constantly if I had access to its, easily top 10 material to me anyway.

fanatik
June 22, 2012, 03:22 AM
Well, Bisuke's ability is pretty useful and I don't deny that as I, too, had my fair share of sleepless nights writing last minute reports, cramming before exams and whatnot where her ability could be incredibly handy, but even after all that if I were given a choice, I wouldn't choose that ability for myself. It's kind of... well, plain and boring. I'd choose something more interesting, like maybe Meleoron's (although I'd have to put my lungs through some harsh training to hold my breath longer), or Fukuro's (heaps of luggage in one tiny bundle? oh yes!), or that teleportation ability Kuroro stole, or even Novu's (from home to work in a dozen of seconds instead of hours spent on commuting? I can only dream about that!)

But I guess the Japanese who overwork a lot, workaholics in general and even try to catch some sleep literally everywhere (inemuri) could find Bisuke's plain ability more useful than fancy teleportation or invisibility:^_^

baboysai
June 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
I guess, for Bisuke's ability to be "useful" given her hunter background, she'd have to have top-class martial art ability and cunning. If I remember correctly, she has the ability to preserve her youth?

If it were an ordinary person with that ability, it would seem pretty boring. But she has to compensate for a lot of things- or rather, she has to be bad-ass at everything else so that she can fully maximize her ability.

What good would combat prowess be if life was too short, after all eh?

kindredxiuxiu
June 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
I think the masseuse isn't all Bisuke has to offer as far as abilities. I think it's the one ability that has the most practical use for a normal person. I'd actually quite like an ability like that. :D

We know Bisuke can summon a masseuse and alter her appearance. We also know she's quite strong. However, I think there's more to her abilities that we don't know, or may never know.

TheAmericandream
June 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
I think the Masseuse is possibly a side ability since its Conjured while the lotion itself (which does all the work I think) is her transmuted aura, this way she can give herself massages and do other things while its happening. I would think she must have some other combat ability to compliment her brute strength. But as you said, we may never know.

Uriel
June 23, 2012, 06:10 PM
Actually She doesn't summons anything. She release the stress of her body and come back to her original form. And that's an application from Magical Spa Services, that seems to be able to also change shape after some massages.

TheAmericandream
June 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
So the massage somehow changes her shape, interesting. Bisky is so cool! I hope we get to see more of her before all is said and done.

SHINOBI-03
June 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
Got volumes 25, 26 & 27. More Chimera Ants arc to read.

kkck
June 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Well, for the most part bisk's ability is one of the actual few abilities which have real world applications. I mean, the sheer amount of things which that could do for us is astounding to say the least. In particular, the ability to reduce resting time to 30 minutes.... How is that not awesome? Gotta cram an entire semester in two days? Sleep with her ability every 4 hours and you are good to go for that A. Have a deadline but not time to sleep? Nonsense, there is no such thing as no time to sleep if you only need 30 minutes for the equivalent of 8 hours of rest. Stressed out and tired? Nonsense. The ability makes you superhuman in a real world scenario basically.

Now, lets take a look at other abilities. Shalnarks and any other's control? Ok, having something which allows you complete control over someone if you fulfill some conditions is useful... if you are a rapist. Basically just about anything which manipulation allows does not have any legal real world applications.

Nen bullets and projectiles are cool without a doubt and they certainly have their uses. Still, not a single one of them would be useful in a real world scenario. Nen bullets and projectiles are basically only useful if you are a cop or in the military. I would question the extent of the usefulness when you have to have the precision to kill of someone 3 miles away with the tip o your finger though.

Reinforcement... Ok, now this is actually useless. Enhance a sword? Get shot in the head, enhance a fist, get shot in the head. What are the practical uses of smashing stuff ultimately? If there was a job which required super strength, would you trust it to a person with it or a machine with milimetrical precision?

What good is hisoka's ability? It does not even work well when separated from her body. Deceiptful texture? Useful if you are a con artist. Electricity? Ok, you can tazer people but we just happen to have tazers for that. Nen string? Ok, that is useful as fuck. Seriously. A nen string would be inherently sterile so from a medical point of view it is beautiful. Still, it loses a bit of use when you lose contact with it... Nen bombs? Useful if you work in a mine I guess.

As far as conjuration.... A vacuum cleaner which sucks stuff infinitely? This is probably the single most useful ability since bisk's. Just aim for the dusk in the room and you got a clean house in 0.0001 seconds. Not bad at all. 10 in one weapons? Not actually useful. Chains of fury? Ok, kurapica's ability to douse is useful. We would never misplace stuff and perhaps kidnappings would be more easily dealt with. A chain to heal? Ok, it works although none of us really gets hurt that often really. Chain of judgement? Ok, I guess imposing a few on criminals could result in a drastic decrease in crime rates. It would be useful if placed on politicians too lol.

Kannon.... would be useful in a power ranger scenario for the most part.

baboysai
June 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
That is indeed a logical explanation why Bisuke's ability would rank highest in popularity if we consider "real world" situations.

However we cannot pursue this train of thought in any "real world" situations as long as nen exists. For example, the chain abilities of Kurapica which you mentioned, would not only be useful if you were a detective or for dealing with criminals- as criminals would be exponentially more dangerous and notorious given Nen. Maybe if to clarify, the voters thought if "only" they had the power of nen and nobody else in this real world, then perhaps the point is acceptable.

Anyway, that's what's so awesome about Togashi and HunterxHunter in general is because even the most seemingly unassuming abilities and stupid-sounding abilities, he plays around with to deal quite vicious damage if in the hands of an extremely skilled person with the motives.

I mean, sure, bubble-gum ability sounds really stupid to me, and I wouldn't think I could use it for anything, but Hisoka uses it in ways I could never have imagined, and kicks ass with it. Think of the possibilities if he had more bad-ass abilities, it would really be overkill.

A lot of the spiders' abilities are not actually deadly or even scary, and would really sound lame if "superheroes (of the western comic concept)" had their powers. But the creativity that Togashi put together for this manga is what makes it mind-blowing.

I have digressed a bit, as I was just again in awe of how magnificent this manga can be. :gent

kkck
June 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just to keep things interesting, to what extent would criminals be more dangerous in a real world nen scenario? I mean, nen takes years to develop and having a good teacher is important. Criminals are not usually the most orderly or dedicated type to say the least. To what extent could a criminal develop nen like this? I doubt it could be much to be honest lol.

Now, as for hisoka, perhaps if he had a different ability he would not be as effective rather than being more effective with a simpler technique. Think about it, one of the main strengths of nen is that hatsu is highly customizable. What we have seen so far is that you make something which actually feels good for you. There is a lot of intuition in play when making a hatsu. In the end, the idea is that you have something which suits you perfectly.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Also, when I said a real world scenario what I had in mind was basically "our" world but with people capable of using nen and without the physical capacities of people in the manga (so we do not have nenless people bending steel with their hands lol). I don't think that having nen would in itself be enough for our world to transform into HHverse. For one thing, we do not have neither the animals or magical creatures for such a thing. Now, even then, how much would people pay for a hunter in real life? I doubt there would be much use for one overall, Granted, hunting criminals would perhaps be a different game but to begin with even in the HxH world nen users are rather rare, let alone nen user criminal. In our world a job that pays would be lawyer, IT guy, an ensemble of engineering carriers and a bunch of other stuff which requires a lot of studying. Its not like many of the characters would even be possible. How could ging be an archeologist or something of the sort without studies of his own? It'd be about as absurd as every superhero in DC who are familiar with every science known to men to their greatest possible extent by the time they are 30. Such a thing would ordinarily be plain impossible with a mere single branch of science lol (take batman, time is meaningless to him and he has mastered several forms of martial arts and every science known to man in less than a lifetime. And the worst part is that robin makes the situation even more ridiculous because he does not have even 1/5th of a lifetime lol).

chei
June 26, 2012, 06:50 PM
I sometimes wonder if Biske is based on Togashi's wife (who's a big collector of gems and sparkly things, as she goes on and on about gemstones in the author's talk pages in Sailormoon). He would ask her what her most wanted ability was, and she (like every beauty obsessed woman would) said it's the spa service ability. Maybe Biske's transformation was 'inspired' too

Crude
June 27, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'll start off by posting some HxH memes. Some of the stuff I'm about to post isn't exactly tasteful, it's actually a little crude and childish like a lot of memes, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone. Here they are:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/1307/hisk.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/hisk.png/)

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1903/hisk4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/hisk4.jpg/)

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5914/youx.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/youx.jpg/)

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5660/mybodyisready.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/mybodyisready.png/)

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6168/slowpoke.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/860/slowpoke.png/)

mrsticky005
June 28, 2012, 06:00 AM
Just finished writing a poem about Killua. I plan to write poems for at least the four main cast: Killua, Leorio, Kurapika and Gon.

I've also written poems for Vinland Saga, MD Geist , Danzo from Naruto , and Captain Sisko of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine iif anyone is interested.
BTW I'm not a star trek fan (though I did like the movie) I just thought it be a fun poem to do.

Here is the Killua poem

http://mrsticky005.deviantart.com/art/Killua-Poem-311218138

Crude
July 06, 2012, 11:34 AM
Have you guys seen this? This might just be one of the greatest pieces of fan art that I've ever seen!

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9215/hunterxhunterfull819631.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/hunterxhunterfull819631.jpg/)

BlackListHunter
July 07, 2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJMrgCUmck&feature=endscreen

futurefrog
July 07, 2012, 08:08 PM
Have you guys seen this? This might just be one of the greatest pieces of fan art that I've ever seen!

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9215/hunterxhunterfull819631.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/hunterxhunterfull819631.jpg/)

That is absolutely beautiful. Bigger version available?

xScar
July 08, 2012, 12:24 AM
That is absolutely beautiful. Bigger version available?

Just Google Image'd the picture and was able to find a nicely sized one. (http://static.zerochan.net/Hunter.X.Hunter.full.819631.jpg)

Crude
July 08, 2012, 07:13 AM
Yeah sorry about the size. For some reason the picture is smaller than the one I have saved.

baboysai
July 08, 2012, 08:36 AM
Ohayou is one of the best opening tracks ever on anime

Uriel
July 08, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ohayou is one of the best opening tracks ever on anime
I hated it. But only because in my country the translation were awful, they kept that opening for each arc for no apparent reason and it was used EVERY TIME in the anime. It's a good song, THEY made me hate it. :P

Netero
July 08, 2012, 03:16 PM
^Viz did the exact same thing with the Hunter x Hunter anime box-sets. Hearing that opening throughout the Phantom Troupe arc was killing me.... and I'm starting to feel the same way about Departure too lol.

riniloves
July 09, 2012, 07:49 AM
I sometimes wonder if Biske is based on Togashi's wife (who's a big collector of gems and sparkly things, as she goes on and on about gemstones in the author's talk pages in Sailormoon). He would ask her what her most wanted ability was, and she (like every beauty obsessed woman would) said it's the spa service ability. Maybe Biske's transformation was 'inspired' too
Fans like myself speculate before that Takeuchi could be Bisuke or Neon or Kikyo . (based on his doodles before and how the characters act in his chapters). Alluka cant be the wife s/he more like his daughter (I wish she's a girl then if she's a girl its confirmed).

If I remember correctly Togashi has this little sentences at the end of the manga (ch mostly can be seen in wsj), which fans think his feelings on his everyday life. Back then he has remarkable remarks such as:
the house (hunter exam arc, zoldyck arc)
his honeymoon (cant remember exactly but I'm sure this is around zoldyck arc)
wife's mood (since Zoldyck arc, beginning of York shin arc )
children (mostly before his hiatus )

I went to visit my son’s classroom. I want to do it all over again from grade-school. Does no elementary school accept an adult who wants to come back?

Because I have two children, it is hard for me to get anything accomplished in the morning and I have many long nights.
games (from 2006 onward)

sickness (mostly remarks from Greed Island to Chimera ant arc)

再来年を待たず花粉症が治りました。
治療法は七年放置することです。
Without waiting for next year, the hay fever in my head has healed.
The treatment is to leave it for seven years.
from moon-chase
etc...

Nowadays since he made hiatus, Togashi aint that share (able) with his life anymore. Maybe becoz of the sudden buzz about their supposedly divorce (rumor from tabloids) which didnt really happen.
I remember reading them before (a fan blog that shut down has it), but the ones in scanlated host sites has the tankobon version not the wsj version anymore. I miss those doodles.

well if anyone can post some of them here. I would be glad to read it again.

Beans
July 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
http://www.jigoku.it/images/news3/42/4278/4278.jpg

I think Chrollo looks better in here than in the design picture.

Netero
July 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
^Yeah, he definitely looks better in that picture.

SHINOBI-03
July 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Check out my color choices for the Phantom Troupe.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH%20YN/ptcolorme-b.png

Here's a blank for ya.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH%20YN/ptcolorme-a.png

ZonikStrike
July 16, 2012, 12:56 PM

Here's a blank for ya.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH%20YN/ptcolorme-a.png

Green-haired Shizuku? Omg O_o
And I don't think red suit... um well... suits Pakunoda well.
Other than that, not bad, but I'd go with original designs =D

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

100th post =D
And yeah, for fav opening, mine I think is the second OVA one, Pray. I loved that.
As for fav ending... Well, Hunting for your dream is unmatched, but I also loved the fourth one from the Nippons' anime, 'Carry On'. It was nice imo.

Cinnabar
July 16, 2012, 01:17 PM

I quite like green-haired Shizuku. Particularly that shade of green you used. <3

kkck
July 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
I dislike red pakunoda. It makes her look far more cheerful than what she actually was lol. Blond shalnark reminded me of naruto lol.

TheAmericandream
July 17, 2012, 07:39 PM
Pakunoda is fine to me, its more of a pink/magenta, Shalnark is the odd man to me. His hair is odd and pink, idk. His 1999 colors weren't fantastic, but something closer to that probably would have been more my tastes.

mrsticky005
July 18, 2012, 03:04 AM
question for y'all:

Will Mito ever see Gon or Ging again?

Akia999
July 18, 2012, 05:44 AM
question for y'all:

Will Mito ever see Gon or Ging again?

Gon.Yes.He will probably come back to see her.It has at least been 1 year since he visited her.

Ging. Nope. Unless he decided to man up and go and see her which we know he will never.
Beside the reason that Gon is in whale island ,I think there has to be a reason why he doesn't want to go back.( other than that he is a douchebag)

Crude
July 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
I'm hoping that Gon and Ging go back to Whale Island together to see Mito and grandma, just before both leave for the Dark Continent (provided they go together). Ging needs a much deserved slap from Mito :XD

kindredxiuxiu
July 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
This will happen after Yorkshin's over. RIP liver. Tumblr find.

HxH drinking game (York Shin edition)

Drink every time:

A character appears for the first time
A character reappears after being missing for 2 episodes or more
Someone is angry (drink twice if that someone is not Kurapika)
Someone cries
An unnamed character dies
They say the word “hunter”
They explain how something works (whether is a technique or the ways to do auctions or whatever)
The name of a nen ability appears on screen.
Kurapika’s eyes turn or flash red.
Someone uses a phone for whatever the purpose
Senritsu makes a comment about someone’s heartbeats or footsteps.
Someone tells a lie (drink twice if that someone is not Killua or Hisoka)
Two Ryodan members toss a coin to solve a disagreement.
Neon complains.
Someone comments how young Killua and Gon are or calls them kids.
Someone does something that should be impossible for a normal person
Buttshot!

Take a shot (or a long sip) when:

A named character dies
Leorio does something serious or useful
Someone gets punched in the face
Gon and Killua break a wall
The Genei Ryodan steals something.

baboysai
July 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
lol that's like, the entire York shin. :XD

Demonspeed
August 01, 2012, 05:20 AM
Look what Togashi is doing now.I have seen this on Megumi Han facebook.

‎[Author Comments:Toriko | Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro]
I had a dinner with Togashi-sensei! He told me at least 200 helpful and valuable stories!! Thank you so much!!

:-_- If he is able to do that,it means that he already completed the story IMO.He should help readers now.

mrsticky005
August 01, 2012, 02:24 PM
Look what Togashi is doing now.I have seen this on Megumi Han facebook.

‎[Author Comments:Toriko | Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro]
I had a dinner with Togashi-sensei! He told me at least 200 helpful and valuable stories!! Thank you so much!!

:-_- If he is able to do that,it means that he already completed the story IMO.He should help readers now.

Dude. Let the man be. HxH isn't on extended hiatus because Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro had dinner with Togashi. Seriously.

Togashi IS helping the readers. He's helping them by taking his time to write and draw a quality manga rather than a half baked rush job.

The hiatus sucks but you just have to deal with it. Good things come to those that wait. So just enjoy the new anime and other manga in the meanwhile.

Demonspeed
August 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
I know you are right,he has always been like that but every time i think about CH 340 i am overexcited!!

naruto-niichan
August 01, 2012, 04:05 PM
This place lacks some great Hunter x Hunter AMV's :3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHDi63tpv0

baboysai
August 01, 2012, 11:45 PM
how far along are we in the anime already?

Netero
August 02, 2012, 12:19 AM
^Episode 41, and we're just about to finish volume 8 in the anime.

Uriel
August 02, 2012, 09:44 AM
There is a thread for AMV's, actually. Not so far, neither.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8456kcytr1r2uwqco1_1280.jpg

baboysai
August 02, 2012, 12:03 PM
volume 8... getting into the GI arc then?

Crude
August 02, 2012, 12:05 PM
Nope, the Spiders have only just appeared in the anime.

Uriel
August 03, 2012, 07:37 AM
So...Good news? (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-29/hunter-x-hunter-manga-resumes-in-shonen-jump-in-august)
Skafloc PM'ed me with this. I don't know if I should trust the source, but this is amazing. <3

We're in 2012. :-_-
Thanks. And...
._.

bobop
August 03, 2012, 08:17 AM
So...Good news? (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-29/hunter-x-hunter-manga-resumes-in-shonen-jump-in-august)
Skafloc PM'ed me with this. I don't know if I should trust the source, but this is amazing. <3

We're in 2012. :-_-

Look at the date of that article.

mrsticky005
August 03, 2012, 09:24 AM
I know you are right,he has always been like that but every time i think about CH 340 i am overexcited!!

Same here. It's like I'm a Naruto fan but I'm actually much more excited for HxH 341 than I am for Tobi finally showing his dumb face.

But while waiting sucks it's actually more annoying when people are like "wah wah wah Togashi".
I know there are people who waited a LONG time for manga releases and didn't complain half as
much as some HxH "fans". I mean it's one thing to be like "Man I can't for 341" we're all like that.
But these baseless theories of how Togashi is trying to screw us over really ought to stop.
Even if they are true...then what of it? You're going to drop the series. Well have fun then.

341 will be released when it is.

Now imagine this.

No mangahelpers. Imagine waiting for HxH then.

Uriel
August 03, 2012, 09:33 AM
You shut up. SHUT UP NOW.
But I guess there is always somewhere on Internet we can find each other as HxH fans. ALWAYS.

And yes, I waited at least 2 years waiting, so...This is nothing. :P

heron bpv
August 03, 2012, 10:23 AM
We should ban the use of the world hiatus in these foruns just in case... <_<
Though that could problably cut in half the amount of posts xD

kindredxiuxiu
August 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
Since this is my first time experiencing a Togashi hiatus, how long was the longest hiatus?

Imagine waiting with no mangahelpers, no anime, and no upcoming movie. Or Togashi just quitting HxH all together *knocks on wood*

Demonspeed
August 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Since this is my first time experiencing a Togashi hiatus, how long was the longest hiatus?

Imagine waiting with no mangahelpers, no anime, and no upcoming movie. Or Togashi just quitting HxH all together *knocks on wood*

About one and half years,and it was easier to handle because i was reading Jojo,who is my 2nd favorite manga.

One thing is sure Togashi won't stop HXH.But i can't imagine this...

baboysai
August 03, 2012, 04:01 PM
oh yeah the hiatuses then were really epic. back then I never really had any hope. And iirc, the HxH forum was shut down for a bit? I never visited this forum then, I was only in my areas so I didn't really care, hehe. And I never read the manga beyond GI because the art (by the end of GI) really turned me off. Plus, the sudden turn up of the ants, I was like, WTF am I reading another manga????

But when I decided to read from the very beginning, and gave the ant arc a chance, I was blown to pieces by Togashi's art and story-telling in the palace invasion. By far, I would believe, the best chapters of all time of all manga compared. The shock factor, the sheer awesomeness, the paneling, such badassery from him there.

then just when you're so excited, whoop, another hiatus. :/ then, repeat cycle...

Uriel
August 03, 2012, 08:38 PM
At least He went trough a whole arc this time. And an amazing one. Pariston is probably one of my favorite enemies in manga.

Netero
August 03, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hopefully when Togashi (eventually) returns he'll finish the whole Dark Continent arc in one go just like the election arc.

Cinnabar
August 04, 2012, 12:44 AM
At least He went trough a whole arc this time. And an amazing one. Pariston is probably one of my favorite enemies in manga.

At least he stopped right at the beginning/intro of a new arc. If he ended things just after Gon found Ging, fans could easily speculate that the manga is now over with a sort of open-ended ending (since the overarching story initially seemed to be Gon finding Ging and who cares about Kurapika, not like he showed up in the last two arcs), when the story seems like it's just actually beginning. So at the very least, we know Togashi still has plans for HxH.

And yes, Pariston. :zomg

He is the reason I enjoyed the Election arc. Can't wait to see his plans for his cocoon farm.

mrsticky005
August 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
You shut up. SHUT UP NOW.
But I guess there is always somewhere on Internet we can find each other as HxH fans. ALWAYS.

And yes, I waited at least 2 years waiting, so...This is nothing. :P

Hey all I'm saying is that we actually got it pretty damn good.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Hopefully when Togashi (eventually) returns he'll finish the whole Dark Continent arc in one go just like the election arc.

I imagine it will be more like The Dark Continent Saga.

I say a year or two of HxH should work for me.

baboysai
August 05, 2012, 12:16 AM
a year or two doesn't sound right given his pace though :cookiehand

mrsticky005
August 05, 2012, 02:18 PM
a year or two doesn't sound right given his pace though :cookiehand

HAPPY THOUGHTS!!!

baboysai
August 06, 2012, 12:57 AM
well I'm perfectly fine with it, I don't really complain much about the hiatuses, and could care less about YEARS of waiting- I read Berserk and Vagabond and Gantz after all. /shrugs

SHINOBI-03
August 08, 2012, 04:21 AM
I plan to make a comparison guide website for HxH anime archiving my posts here. what should I call it?

- oldxnewxhunter (Old x New x Hunter)
- hunterxguide (Hunter x Guide)
- darkxcontinent (Dark x Continent)

heron bpv
August 08, 2012, 04:51 AM
First option.

Akia999
August 08, 2012, 05:27 AM
I plan to make a comparison guide website for HxH anime archiving my posts here. what should I call it?

- oldxnewxhunter (Old x New x Hunter)
- hunterxguide (Hunter x Guide)
- darkxcontinent (Dark x Continent)

The first one.
Instead of creating a website for it,why don't you create a thread to store all the past episode review ? I think it will be a lot easier.And you can get Uriel permission to make it a sticky thread.:)

SHINOBI-03
August 08, 2012, 05:44 AM
Instead of creating a website for it,why don't you create a thread to store all the past episode review ? I think it will be a lot easier.And you can get Uriel permission to make it a sticky thread.:)

Because for one I want it to be a permanent database for all HxH fans and not just here, two because I plan to go back and start from the first episode and redo my old reviews to make them all in a uniform style and I can't do that here with some of my posts are locked in the previous thread, and three so I get money from site visitors who don't use ad-blocks.

Uriel
August 08, 2012, 08:27 AM
For me I don't have any issue, I'm always encouraging reviews. I loved Popo's one and yours aren't half bad. If you want a thread for it, it's not an issue.

shionoro
August 11, 2012, 11:42 PM
in my weak moments i like to think that hunter x hunter is shortly before finishing, because togashi actually worked like a mad man in all his hiatusses and when he is completely through, he will give us 200 chapters at once which he has made while deceiving us about an illness or hiatusses <:

But i guess it aint gonna happen :gwah

hope the hiatus will not be long, but i think it will be.
The dark world is probably a phase which togashi has to plan very thoroughly.
Could take until end of 2013, or rather mb september 2013.

That makes me very sad.

I'd take sketchy art over deprivation any day, but that's just me.
Yet, i think the dark continent will be very exciting, exspecially because we will probably see more about pariston, the zodiac and the spiders (since kurapica will be involved)

SHINOBI-03
August 14, 2012, 07:48 AM
What do you think of this?

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/mainban.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/ban_hea.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/ban_zfa.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/ban_haa.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/ban_yna.jpg

Akia999
August 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
What do you think of this?

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH/mainban.jpg

I will be brutally honest here.I know you spend a lot of time writing review and doing this banner.So,I apology in advance if I may have hurt your feeling.But when it comes to giving criticism ,I just can't lie.

I do like the concept of showing both version of gon but it doesn't really capture my interest enough.
The simplicity can be a good thing when making banner and such because a too complex one is just too distracting.
Yours is just too simple in not a very good way.The fonts doesn't really work for this (The fonts is the first thing anyone would notice about a banner ,so choosing the correct one is vital in making the whole concept work) and the background colour choice may be a bit too eye glaring.Personally I don't like background with this kind of colour ,but it really depends on the individual's taste.
My overall impression on this is that it feel like random things have been put together.It doesn't really look appealing.

You don't really need to change the banner if you don't want to.And you should definitely wait for other people to give you a feedback on this as opinions varies from one to another.You can also ask for help from people who makes signatures for forum.They can provide you with really useful tips to make it work.Like I say earlier ,it is a good concept but it needs some tweaking.

SHINOBI-03
August 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
^ Yeah, I knew it looks bad. Still trying to improve my designing skills and photo editing.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Okay, I asked someone to improve it, and this how it looks now.

http://m7ml.com/uploads7/bdd57b5ef0.png

Salce
August 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
You could try using the logo instead of text:
http://www.ntv.co.jp/hunterhunter/images/top/logo.png

riniloves
August 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
Anyway is there a theory thread here? Coz I dont like making threads... this suddenly pop...
Since.....
I've been quite rereading a lot in my free time this days till I notice this...

http://i.imgur.com/Rr3DO.jpg

I guess that guy (Basho) after successfully finishing his job after York Shin arc just quit being a body guard . I guess Senritsu and Linzen quit as well. Since we saw them on the elction
thast all...

Uriel
August 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
Probably. We may even see him in Outside World if He finished to circle around the world. Maybe. Huh.

riniloves
August 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
It explains well when Senritsu aint contacting Kurapika (if she were sent by Kurapika in the hospital, she should be able to contact Kurapika right when Leorio cant?).
http://images.wikia.com/hunterxhunter/images/c/c8/Hanzo_3.png

All I can say the 3 remaining guards(Linzen, Basho and Senritsu) left Kurapika and start a quest on their own.
If that is right those 3 got the money they wanted from their work, which might explain why Kurapika in a mafia suit. He might be the (acting) boss of the Nostrade family now. And Kurapika gave them bonuses for the job they've done....

Basho travel around the world - I have a bad feeling for him... (http://mangafox.me/manga/hunter_x_hunter/v19/c190/2.html) he can be the early v***** in next arc...
Senritsu still looking for the lyrics - I see her pic the same panel as Bisuke, what others think she is Kurapika second guardian (like mom figure). Wing and Mizuken around the same size as well...
Linzen ?
http://mangafox.me/manga/hunter_x_hunter/v30/c320/11.html

vampire killer
August 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.travel-adventure.jp/?utm_campaign=01&utm_source=cam&utm_medium=qr&xadid=travelad_01 so what is this?

mrsticky005
August 21, 2012, 05:08 PM
So did Mangahelpers go down for anyone else or was that just me? Because for a few moments I kept getting redirected to a search engine whenever I clicked on the mangahelpers home page link or any other mangahelpers page. Technically difficulties? Well I'm just glad to see it's still here.

heron bpv
August 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
I saw a database error. It was their side.

mrsticky005
August 21, 2012, 06:32 PM
^ Yeah, I knew it looks bad. Still trying to improve my designing skills and photo editing.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Okay, I asked someone to improve it, and this how it looks now.

http://m7ml.com/uploads7/bdd57b5ef0.png

Made a logo for fun http://i45.tinypic.com/2wqe9vq.jpg

Diivil
August 21, 2012, 07:33 PM

Nice Logo i like it one problem tho is that it hard on the eyes, there too many transparent stuff etc.. other then that it very good :)

mrsticky005
August 22, 2012, 06:20 AM
Nice Logo i like it one problem tho is that it hard on the eyes, there too many transparent stuff etc.. other then that it very good :)

Consider it a prototype :D

and if people want I can provide links to the individual images so they can make a better design.

---------- Post added August 22, 2012 at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was August 21, 2012 at 07:24 PM ----------

Since it's gonna be a while until the next episode...I found this site for sites of cels of the 99 series

http://www.rubberslug.com/gallery/tag/Hunter-X-Hunter/

Akia999
August 24, 2012, 12:16 AM

I really like the colour combination for this.:)
The only problem I have with this is the focal for the logo.It doesn't really draw my attention to the a certain point and can be quite distracting.

I got motivated and also made a logo .Been meaning to do this for a while but I'm lazy.
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/hunter-x-hunter-logo.png

Crude
August 24, 2012, 06:09 AM
^ Wow that's a pretty sweet logo! I do suggest you remove the extended bit of the lower H so that it's closer to the series logo. Also, I think it would be better to switch the X with a VS. By the way, I like how the X features manga Gon :)

Akia999
August 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
^ Wow that's a pretty sweet logo! I do suggest you remove the extended bit of the lower H so that it's closer to the series logo. Also, I think it would be better to switch the X with a VS. By the way, I like how the X features manga Gon :)

Thanks you.(And the others too):)
Actually, there was a mistake on my part.The funny thing is that I was staring at the original logo the whole time and I still got it wrong.And I called myself a HxH fan.:fail I was secretly hoping no one will actually noticed it. I had fixed the mistake but somehow I can't upload the fixed version.
My intention in creating the logo is to showcase both version of the anime and a bit of the manga ,hence the small cross featuring manga gon.(Manga gon need to shine too!) I didn't intend to compare both versions.That's why I didn't use the vs sign.
Also ,I got the idea from this logo.
http://www.vortexcultural.com.br/images/hunter-x-hunter-gon-kurapika-kirua-leolio-wallpaper.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the manga fans ,just for the fun of it.:derp
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/hiatus-logo.png

Crude
August 24, 2012, 09:47 AM
Love the Hiatus x Hiatus! :XD

heron bpv
August 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Though it's almost an one-line response, I've got to say good job on the logo Akia999.
Just felt a simple 'like' in your post wouldn't be enough =]

riniloves
August 24, 2012, 08:41 PM
For the manga fans ,just for the fun of it.:derp
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/hiatus-logo.pngNice. the only thing that lacks is the katakana characters... plus that and it will look almost the real thing....

xScar
August 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
For anyone keeping up with Viz's release of the series, Amazon just put up a listing for volume 30!

Release schedule:
Volume 28 - September 4, 2012 (http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Vol-28/dp/1421542609/)
Volume 29 - January 1, 2013 (http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Vol-29/dp/1421542617/)
Volume 30 - May 7, 2013 (http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Vol-30/dp/1421552671/)

Netero
August 24, 2012, 11:17 PM
I pre-ordered volume 28 from Rightstuf, and it's already shipped. So I'm expecting to receive it any day now lol.

Crude
August 26, 2012, 05:55 AM
Whilst trying to learn more about all the Hunter x Hunter video games that have been released, I came across this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HT8IeoeyiM). Pretty informative, though it doesn't feature the GBA game. Also it's in French (sorry for those that don't understand the language).

mrsticky005
August 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
For anyone keeping up with Viz's release of the series, Amazon just put up a listing for volume 30!

Release schedule:
Volume 28 - September 4, 2012 (http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Vol-28/dp/1421542609/)
Volume 29 - January 1, 2013 (http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Vol-29/dp/1421542617/)
Volume 30 - May 7, 2013 (http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Vol-30/dp/1421552671/)

I predict the manga will return on around one of those dates.

ish3
August 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
I predict the manga will return on around one of those dates.

Yea, if we don't hear any information about it by October it probably won't be out until 2013 Jan or spring season. That's fine with me though.

ContractHunterMEMO
August 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
Probably the most badass thing to ever be put on a car to date (I didn't make this).

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6563/cargonlt3.jpg

Netero
August 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
^Yo.... that right there is the definition of BADASS... Now, where can I buy or make a car window decal like that?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

Yes! I finally received my copy of Hunter x Hunter volume 28 (viz)
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc389/NJZanDatsuX/Hunterxhuntervol281.jpg?t=1346096192

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc389/NJZanDatsuX/Hunterxhuntervol2812.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc389/NJZanDatsuX/Hunterxhuntervol2813.jpg

kindredxiuxiu
August 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
That is some sexy cover art right there. :)

apainlessend
August 27, 2012, 09:51 PM
Am I the only one who has no interest in them redoing the greed island arc, and hoping they skip right to the chimera ant saga :(
In which I heard alot of people complain, but I thought that arc was freaking amazing...
I loved how Netero shows up and is like..
GTFO...you guys are weak as hell.

futurefrog
August 28, 2012, 04:20 AM
Am I the only one who has no interest in them redoing the greed island arc, and hoping they skip right to the chimera ant saga :(
In which I heard alot of people complain, but I thought that arc was freaking amazing...

Greed Island in my opinion is better than the majority of the Chimera Ants arc. The Final Act of the Ants arc is the best point of the manga in my opinion. The Palace Invasion was one of the greatest moments I have ever read in manga in general. It was so well concieved and presented, the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife and everything that followed was simply astonishing. Too much of the Ants arc was build up. The Greed Island arc was firing on all cylinders from the get go, features nearly every fan favourite character and in my opinion has one of the most interesting and under-rated villains in the entire series, Genthru. I can not wait to see Greed Island animated again, it was always my favourite arc from start to finish.

Akia999
August 28, 2012, 06:21 AM

You might be,unfortunately .As much as I want to see the chimera ant arc ,I'm looking forward to see how they will handle the greed island arc.The nippon adaptation was a bit inconsistent particularly with the art.And beside they can't just skip to the chimera ant arc ,it would cause a huge hole in the plot.And also it would also catch up the manga too fast.
I like the chimera ant arc but the art and hiatus make it less enjoyable.

Some bunch of parody I found.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterXHunterfull898865.jpg
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterXHunterfull883214.jpg
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterXHunterfull884324.jpg
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterXHunterfull952493.jpg
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/akia999/HunterXHunter6001003962.jpg

Crude
August 28, 2012, 07:32 AM

No way! The Chimera Ant arc may be my favourite arc in the manga, but Greed Island is what I'm looking forward to the most in the anime. I'm sure it'll be just as great, if not greater than Madhouse's Heaven's Arena!

Googlez_kun
August 28, 2012, 09:17 AM
I wonder how they will handle the Palace Invasion Arc in the anime. Or rather, I'm kinda worried. It worked perfectly in the manga, but how will it be in the anime? Can they make it convincing?

SHINOBI-03
August 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
I wonder how they will handle the Palace Invasion Arc in the anime. Or rather, I'm kinda worried. It worked perfectly in the manga, but how will it be in the anime? Can they make it convincing?

I can say at the top of my head is there won't be as much as narration as the manga. That part had a lot of narration like an old style American comic book and I don't think it'd translate well in animated form.

Crude
August 28, 2012, 09:45 AM
It'll probably be like that TV show 24 :XD

Googlez_kun
August 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
I can say at the top of my head is there won't be as much as narration as the manga. That part had a lot of narration like an old style American comic book and I don't think it'd translate well in animated form.

That's what I mean. The narration was part of the charm actually. And I wonder how they'll make it believable since the speed and timing of their attacks coupled with Hakoware's counter should be difficult to animate.

Uriel
August 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Well, this series USES already a narrator, so it wont be that difficult.

And simultaneously is easier to do in anime than manga, so it will work fine.

baboysai
August 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
are you kidding? the first few chapters of the palace invasion had almost zero speech bubbles- it was massive eyecandy that could very well translate to animation since it was perfectly timed, panel after panel.

kindredxiuxiu
August 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
I think it could get animated well, narrator or not. I think the narration during that scene is something exclusive to the manga, and I speculate that the anime will just run through it without the narration. This is pure speculation, but considering the time slot the series is in, and the viewership, it will be easier to understand the concepts if they go through it without the extensive narration. I'd be fine with or without the narration. And I think they could pull the narration off if they do decide to do it that way.

Sometimes I feel I may have too much faith in Madhouse's ability to pull of this adaptation.

And I actually can't wait for this version's Greed Island (I wasn't that impressed with the animation in the Greed Island OVAs). Sure, I'm still excited about Yorknew and everything, but I'd say I'm most excited about the Ant Arc.

Noonealive
August 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
I'm glad MH is adapting HxH, they pretty much are following the manga...From panel to presentation of the story.....Toriko is probably one of the saddest adaptations I've seen. They dumbed it down big time...So yeah i'm glad we have an anime adaptation thats actually accurate compared to the manga. Toriko's anime is not even close to how the manga had it...=[]

mrsticky005
August 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
I will cry foul if they skip Greed Island (which I seriously doubt they would).
Plus I think after Yorknew we're going to need a breather. Going straight
into the Chimera Ant arc might be TOO intense and overwhelming.
Plus it would absolutely ruin Gon's characterization skipping Greed Island.

As for the Chimera Ant arc. I hope they leave in the narration.
However it will very likely be condensed but it will have the same feeling.
As long as they keep in the really awesome narration quotes I'll be happy

One Yorknew Scene I'm looking forward to...

The Troupe running on walls.

SHINOBI-03
August 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
One Yorknew Scene I'm looking forward to...

The Troupe running on walls.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/MKM03/HxH%20YN/hunter12_109.jpg
I hope they keep this joke when it happens

futurefrog
August 29, 2012, 01:28 AM
I'm hoping that we get the Kite flashback before Greed Island arc. Like Gon is thinking that clues to Ging await inside the game and he thinks back to why he began searching for Ging to begin with, Kite. Might be wishful thinking. Madhouse seem to have their own idea for how they want to handle Kite and I'm cool with that, I just hope to see him sooner rather than later.

Noonealive
August 29, 2012, 04:11 AM
I'm hoping that we get the Kite flashback before Greed Island arc. Like Gon is thinking that clues to Ging await inside the game and he thinks back to why he began searching for Ging to begin with, Kite. Might be wishful thinking. Madhouse seem to have their own idea for how they want to handle Kite and I'm cool with that, I just hope to see him sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty sure they're gonna have some sort of flashback scene during the GI arc. Madhouse has been presenting the material pretty good. So when Kite comes it won't be disappointing.Just have to wait and see i guess.

riniloves
August 29, 2012, 07:36 AM
doing the kite thing is the only assurance that we will get there (Chimera Ant Arc) , so I wish they made that in GI arc the chapter 01 flashback off course....

futurefrog
August 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Well in regards to the Kite flashback there is an important part of the flashback that heavily relates to the Chimera Ants arc. Kite saves Gon from death by a creature much more powerful than him. In Chimera Ant arc, Kite dies to save Gon from a creature much more powerful than him. Interesting parrallel that I think Madhouse will want to emphasise as it's important to Gon's characterisation. He has always been weak and because of his weakness, people around him keep dying. As a kid, the Fox Bear died because of him, and now as a Hunter, Kite died because of him. It's something I think Madhouse will want to emphasise. Also the whole motto of Kite's 'All good hunters are loved by animals' heavily relates to this arc. Thoughts?

TheBoss
August 29, 2012, 07:48 PM
Changing the topic a bit, now that we know that togashi isn't involved with the movie-making, what is the prediction of the manga's return?
I know that he took longer hiatuses in the past, but its sad to have to wait so much to the story progression.
Ps: I know I shouldnt ask but I couldn't help myself xD

Netero
August 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
I'm expecting the hiatus to end in either November or December.

futurefrog
August 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'm expecting the hiatus to end in either November or December.

I'm gonna throw my hat in and say October.

Crude
August 30, 2012, 06:20 AM
Usually Hunter x Hunter returns around the time new series begin serialization in Jump. There are two new series starting in September and no word of HxH, and October seems pretty unlikely seeing as it's only been a month since those new series started, so I'd say November (maybe).

Demonspeed
August 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
Actuallly,i want to know how many chapters will be published before his next hiatus...

baboysai
August 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Well, there are no news yet as to when he'll return and you're asking about the next hiatus already? :yodawg

Demonspeed
August 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
I know...It's sad but i have to deal with it:oh.If he does 10 chapters i will definitely go crazy.

futurefrog
August 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
I know...It's sad but i have to deal with it:oh.If he does 10 chapters i will definitely go crazy.

I'm gonna guess he will do 20-30.

shionoro
August 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Well, he was on a roll last time, let's hope he kept it.
But to be realistic:
I think he will do 20 chapters, and if we are lucky before next year.

He seemed to be on his limit last time , with the last chapters being sketchy and all.

futurefrog
August 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
Well, he was on a roll last time, let's hope he kept it.
But to be realistic:
I think he will do 20 chapters, and if we are lucky before next year.

He seemed to be on his limit last time , with the last chapters being sketchy and all.

Judging by how much story he is capable of fitting into 20 chapters, I could see him making a lot of progress with 20 chapters. Look at the most recent run for example, he did 30 chapters, ended one arc, began another, ended that arc and began yet another one. None of this felt rushed either. Togashi is a master of story telling and I look forward to what he brings us next.

Cinnabar
August 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
Togashi's storytelling has this minimalist feel, where he only uses the barest words/expressions/panels/pages to convey a story. And it works because he still doesn't miss the details he wants to show us.

futurefrog
August 31, 2012, 12:10 AM
Togashi's storytelling has this minimalist feel, where he only uses the barest words/expressions/panels/pages to convey a story. And it works because he still doesn't miss the details he wants to show us.

Exactly, he says so much with so little. He can just do a close up of Killua's expression and it tells us more than 20 panels of dialogue ever could. Another example of Togashi's incredible story telling ability is the chapter 'Gyro'. In one chapter he builds an entire history or both a country and a character, not only that but he builds said character up to be a big bad in the future as well as foreshadows future events regarding this character that before this chapter did not even exist. In one chapter he did all that. ONE CHAPTER.

Think of chapter 339. Look at how much he accomplishes in that one chapter. There is a pay off for nearly every major plot point in the entire series thus far there and set up for even bigger things to come. I don't need to think twice to say that Togashi is a genius mangaka. There is a reason that he is a member of the three T's. Tezuka, Tatsumi and Togashi. All 3 created very different manga in different genres and different styles, but all 3 are considered geniuses. There is a reason Togashi gets away with his hiatuses, he is manga royalty in Japan. Not even Oda could get away with what he does.

heron bpv
August 31, 2012, 05:26 AM
A little off-topic, but i'm really curious now: Who are those other 2 on the three T's you are talking about futurefrog? Or, to be more precise, which mangas they made for example? o.õ?