PDA

View Full Version : Battle Yorknew Auction Arc 1999 vs Manga

mrsticky005
May 20, 2012, 03:25 PM
The Yorknew Auction tends to be the most popular arc in the 1999 version of HxH.
And it was certainly good. But how does it compare to the manga? Obviously I
can't yet compare it to the 2011 series. But I will be going through each
episode and compare it to the manga

Episode 45

What happens:

The majority of this episode is Kurapika training with his nen teacher. It's about half filler and half
canon as part of the training is actually in the manga but a good portion is also filler from the anime.
Stuff with Kurapika being wrapped in chains all that jazz is all the 1999 series. The rest of the
episode is Kurapika meeting Melody on a train as they both head to the employer the Nostrade
Family. Of course they don't tell you that Melody is an employee of the Nostrade family as well
and she just seems like some helpless short person. On one hand Kurapika seems nice and polite
with helping Melody with her luggage but at the same time when Melody tries to warm up to him
he's comes across as a being cold and aloof. While Kurapika is on the train we have a flashback
of Kurapika's second visit to the tattoo lady. Remember that the first time Kurapika visited he
could not see nen. The second time he could. At one point the train is attacked by robbers
who Kurapika easily defeats with his new nen chains. At the end of the episode Melody and Kurapika
go their separate ways...even though they are actually going to the same place.

Thoughts:

While I'm sure many preferred the idea of a straight on full fight of Kurapika vs Uvogin
I actually prefer how the manga does it with the fight being interrupted by the flashback.
I don't always care for such things and many times it seems like a flashback is added
in for lazy last minute character development but here it seems Togashi makes it work.
One thing I enjoy about Togashi is that he actually develops the characters in the story
rather through flashbacks. Not that using flashbacks to develop characters is bad but
it can be a bit too forumalic. I wonder how interesting One Piece characters, or Naruto
characters, or Bleach characters would be without chapters worth of flashback?
But this is about HxH not the Big Three.

The train scene had some cool action when Kurapika attacked with his nen chains
but at the same time I'm not going to miss it. I like it better when Kurapika's abilities
are not revealed until the Flesh Collector's Mansion. I think the manga makes Kurapika's
change in strength much more dramatic whereas the anime makes it more gradual.
With the manga it's like we forget about Kurapika and focus on Gon and Killua and
then what's this? Kurapika is hella strong! But in the anime it's like ok now that we
are done with Gon and Killua for now let's have Kurapika train and get stronger.

In a way I think the train scene makes the audience feel too prepared whereas in the manga
the mansion scene ends up being more chaotic because you have no idea what Kurapika is capable of. I mean am I the only who in the 1999 series wasn't the least bit worried about Kurapika when the Eleven Assistants: Thankless Heroes attacked since we already saw Kurapika be all cool and slick in the filler train scene?

The flashback of the second visit to the tattoo lady is shown earlier than before.
This isn't too much of a problem except they keep showing this flashback just
a few episodes later as if the audience couldn't remember.

Probably one of my biggest beefs of the episode is how it interrupts Whale Island.
It makes Whale Island not feel so important and that Gon and Killua are just
doing silly kid stuff while we should be focusing on the important revenge
story with Kurapika. The search for Greed Island and the Hunt the Spiders
stories in the Yorknew Arc feel more balanced in the manga then they do in the 1999 anime.

Episode 46: Whale Island and the infamous Foxbear Cub with Nen episode.
Since it's not really Yorknew related I won't bother reviewing it.

Episode 47: Again Whale Island.

Episode 48: The episode starts off with a filler scene of Kurapika finding a random
puddle of water to wash his face and put on his black contact lens. Why he didn't
just find a bathroom earlier to do this is beyond me.
While this is going on we get a flashback of Kurapika's second visit to the
tattoo lady. Was this really necessary? I thought we just saw this three
episodes ago. Plus it's still earlier than the manga. And it's in Sepia tone too.
There's nothing really wrong with that...I just don't see the point.
Maybe it would be more interesting to look at since the whole flashback is
shown not animated which is kinda sad in a way since it was already animated before.
I think the 1999 series named the tattoo lady Senjuka as when Kurapika rings
the doorbell instead of saying that he was referred by the employment agency
he instead says he was sent by "Senjuka".

The butler looking dude with the long face and mustache greets Kurapika slightly
different from the manga. In the manga he says "Welcome. Follow me, please."
Whereas in the 1999 anime he says "We've been expecting you. Would you please
follow me." Which is making it pretty obvious that something is gonna go down.
As it makes the butler sound a bit too villainous. I mean when someone you
don't know says they've been expecting you it usually means...

http://cdn.instanttrap.com/trap.jpg

As soon as Kurapika enters the room there is piano music playing by Melody (of course)
and then Baise is laying down on the couch (she's standing up in the manga... though
they show this scene later) and tries to seduce Kurapika who is a bit nervous
about the prospect. Baise makes up some b.s that a kiss is her culture's form
of greeting but Kurapika rejects the offer and says "I do not come from the
same place as you. That much is obvious." Of course later we see what Baise's ability is.
But it felt more like it was just trying to hint towards Kurapika not being attracted
to women and Baise be a seductress which I don't see her as being in the manga.
When she actually uses the ability in the manga (which I'll explain later)
it's used for a much more practical reason.

After this Kurapika sees Melody and Kurapika says "I had a feeling you were a Hunter"
I dunno what gave Kurapika this impression besides maybe Melody's impressive
hearing. But Gon had impressive hearing before he was a Hunter too and it didn't
seem much like Melody is able to defend herself. Would Melody have been able
to stop the train robbers? It's hard to say. Though perhaps she could have escaped.
It kinda makes me wonder how someone like Melody became a Hunter in the first place
and when did she become a Hunter? Obviously she would have had to been a Hunter
before Kurapika did. Melody makes a comment that "the colors are different" which
Kurapika figures out pretty quickly is code for "I see you changed you're wearing contacts."
Another reason I don't care for the train scene as it makes Melody too familiar with Kurapika.
Melody asks if she play another song. Kurapika agrees she should. She does.
As Melody plays some more music on the piano she explains how she can tell if someone
is lying or not by their heart beat.

Meanwhile OMINOUS BLACK CLOUDS APPROACH! :gwah
We then get a sneak peak at Neon Nostrade looking out the window
though we don't get a very good look at her though it's obviously her.

The butler leaves saying "It won't be much longer thank you for your patience"
In the manga the butler never leaves the room. At least it is never shown outright.
Perhaps during Kurapika's flashback it is implied he does? I dunno what do you think?

Kurapika, Melody and Baise all then go down stairs where Basho, Squalla and Shachmono
are waiting. The 1999 series makes it pretty obvious there's something fishy about these guys.
I don't care much for how Basho and Shachmono are heckling Kurapika as a newbie.
I don't like this because it makes Basho and Shachmono seem like a bunch of buffoons.
In the manga everyone is just chilling minding their own business.
Squalla tries to join in but ends up getting heckled himself. Yeah, let's all poke fun at the
Indian guy. Then after this they all sit quietly and wait like in the manga. The problem
is that they should have done that from the very beginning. The atomsphere has already
kinda been ruined.

The butler then returns to the room apologizes for the wait and presses
a button on a remote so a screen appears. In the manga Kurapika's flashback with the
tattoo lady is shown after he sits down to wait. It is used to pass the time and feels
less fillerish than Melody playing the piano.
Before we get to see what is about to be shown on the screen we return
to Whale Island and get the scene where Ging's nen more or less destroys
the tape so no evidence is left. This scene was supposed to have already happened
and it makes Whale Island arc feel even more fillerish than it was supposed to be.

We return to the mansion. See another hint of Neon. It's raining.
Dog looks up as if it knows something is about to go down. The rain sound goes
in conjunction with the static from the screen monitor.

The order of Dalzollene's speaking and the butler handing out the
data cards is slightly out of order but it's no biggie. We then get another
flashback of the tattoo lady and she specifically states that
someone is looking for the Kurta eyes. In the manga when this scene
is shown Kurapika decides to take the job after finding out the employer is a flesh collector.
It's not until he gets the data card that he sees one of the items is the scarlet eyes.
The tattoo lady gives Kuapika advice to not rush things. She never does this in the
manga. Flashback ends and then Kurapika reads the rest of the data card with it
saying the conditions of the scarlet eyes and the difficulty level (this is in the manga).

Just as the manga does Basho taunts Kurapika a little about getting queasy
though the anime has already established him as a jerk. Kurapika then says
"You do not have to talk to me" in the anime rather than the manga which is "don't talk to me".
A seemingly slight difference but it makes Kurapika a bit too soft. When clearly he is
pissed off in the manga. Kurapika in the anime then acts clever and reminds Basho
that a real Hunter knows when to shut up. Basho then is all like "Yeah, I knew that."
In the manga Basho is just like whatever after Kurapika tells him to shut up.
Again Basho just feels a lot more professional in the manga than he does in the anime.

After Dalzollene talks some more Kurapika has a little inner monologue about gaining
trust of his employers and analyzes their personality. It is actually a well done scene
in the 1999...except for the last part which kinda messes it up. In the manga the
monologue ends with Kurapika saying "a network of scum who make a contest of their disgusting habits. I'll arrest them all, every last one of them." But in the anime he talks
about the network but then says how they are a connection to the spiders and says
he will arrest every last one of them. See the difference. In the anime Kurapika's goal
is the Spiders. In the manga it's not only the Spiders but also that network of
scum. It's kinda ironic because the anime had been making Kurapika into a moralist
but now he's only concerned with his own revenge. In the manga Kurapika's plans
are on a much grander scale.

Basho then comments how the door is locked and then Dalzollene
appears on the screen again and well this part just really ruined
the moment. In the manga Dalzollene is just like "Oh yeah. The minimum requirement
is to be tough" and then suddenly the room is attacked. Here Dalzollene is yapping
on for a good minute or two and makes it incredibly obvious the room is about to be
attacked. Why everyone is just standing around waiting to get attacked I dunno.
The butler again leaves the room. Squall suggests they work together to break
down the door but Basho explains that it is useless as they used nen to trap them.
Then Melody shows how the windows have stone slabs behind them. In other words
they are trapped. Dalzollene plays the piano (which he never does in the manga)
Everyone goes to sit back and chill except Shachmono and Squalla who are all like
"let's escape!" I dunno but it's making Shachmono and Squalla look a bit fishy
as they are obviously trying to trick everyone into trying to escape and then get killed.
Melody explains how nobody would tell you when a surprise attack would happen.
Basho goes to use the bathroom and then Kurapika remembers Dalzollene's warning
and then the Thankless Heroes crash open through the door and attack. Basho
jump flip out of the way and everyone find something to hide behind. In the manga
Baise used the butler as a human body shield. That doesn't happen here.
Kurapika's chains aren't supposed to be seen yet until the next chapter but the anime
shows them off anyways and then ends with Kurapika challenging the thankless heroes.

I'll do episode 49 later unless someone else wants to compare.

TheAmericandream
May 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
I won't pretend I read your wall of text, but I only became aware of a lot of the changes a few years ago when I read Yorknew in the manga. I largely prefer most of the changes but I admit that may be due to my own biases. It's easily my favorite arc in the series still. One of the changes I liked a lot was with Dalzollene. (that name always trips me up!) He comes off intimidating confident and in command in 1999 series and one of the big changes was seeing more of his Nen sword and the fact that he stays back at the hotel with Neon during the attack between the Shadow Beasts and the Spiders. It made sense for the lead body guard to stay with Neon (who in the manga who is looking after her during those chapters) while Squala had to sort of relay whats going on over the phone. In the manga he is cowering at Uvogin along with the rest, this was a small change to have him not be with Kurapika and the others during the Shadow beast fight, but I always liked that change.

I feel like most of the differences between the two versions of the arc are little things like that but some of them do change the feel of it all. I still enjoy how Kurapika's Nen training was handled and had no real problem with his silly little prayer (though I won't miss that :P when its gone).

I wish the butler human shield bit during the flesh collector mansion was kept too, though I enjoy all the Melody filler personally. She's one of my favorite female characters in the series. In whole I don't think I'll miss a ton of the filler though, I'm purchasing what little is available of the manga so I can finally read the Viz translation of Yorknew, so I'll see if I can think of any other differences or opinions of changes later.

Diivil
May 20, 2012, 08:10 PM
I haven't Read your Review yet, but just by looking at it, it demotivating me from doing so, because all i see is just a big block of unorganized text that hard to read and really get the picture. A tip on how to improve this review and your future reviews would be to organized it neatly in a way that easier to process etc, you could do so by adding pictures, highlighting important stuff etc..
Just given a tip i'm still going to read your review because it seems that it will be interesting :)

mrsticky005
May 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
I haven't Read your Review yet, but just by looking at it, it demotivating me from doing so, because all i see is just a big block of unorganized text that hard to read and really get the picture. A tip on how to improve this review and your future reviews would be to organized it neatly in a way that easier to process etc, you could do so by adding pictures, highlighting important stuff etc..
Just given a tip i'm still going to read your review because it seems that it will be interesting :)

Thanks for the tip.
I was actually writing this as i watched the episode. I'll try fixing it up.
Actually this is going to take a while to fix up. But I'll try to make it more interesting to read

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Ok I tried fixing it up with two versions. One is first review and then thoughts the other is mixed.

fanatik
May 25, 2012, 05:06 AM
Just finished reading your review.

Looking at this arc in the old anime as a whole, I still think it was done mostly great as an interpretation of the manga. Since it's an interpretation, not a copy, it can and will be different, and it's fine. I personally love both the anime and the manga version of this arc, and I'm happy we have two quite different versions. And there's gonna be a third one once the new anime reaches Yorkshin. Some love the Hollywood movie feeling the arc had, some hate it, so in the end, it's all just down to opinions, nothing more.

Another thing I think I'd like to comment on is this

Probably one of my biggest beefs of the episode is how it interrupts Whale Island.
It makes Whale Island not feel so important and that Gon and Killua are just
doing silly kid stuff while we should be focusing on the important revenge
story with Kurapika. The search for Greed Island and the Hunt the Spiders
stories in the Yorknew Arc feel more balanced in the manga then they do in the 1999 anime.The arc is called Genei Ryodan hen for a reason: it has the Genei Ryodan and everything related to them as its main focus. Other subplots serve more like a route to get all the main cast gather in certain places at certain times to develop the Ryodan and events around them, moving the plot, and the groundwork for the next arc. While those subplots certainly hold importance and cannot be forgotten or ignored, to this particular arc, they're not equal in importance to things and events pertaining to the Genei Ryodan and, by expansion, to Kurapika. Just like Hisoka and the Ryodan's search for a jonenshi is a rather important subplot of Greed Island arc, especially for the future as you can see how drastically successful removal of the chain from around Kuroro's heart might change the situation for the main characters, but that subplot is by no means as important as Gon&Killua's training with Bisuke or Gensuru and his gang's subplot. So the search for Greed Island takes back seat to the Spiders in this particular arc until the next one where it becomes the main focus. It's what the arc implies in the first place, after all.

shareme
May 25, 2012, 11:45 AM

Looking at this arc in the old anime as a whole, I still think it was done mostly great as an interpretation of the manga. Since it's an interpretation, not a copy, it can and will be different, and it's fine. I personally love both the anime and the manga version of this arc, and I'm happy we have two quite different versions. And there's gonna be a third one once the new anime reaches Yorkshin. Some love the Hollywood movie feeling the arc had, some hate it, so in the end, it's all just down to opinions, nothing more.

The arc is called Genei Ryodan hen for a reason: it has the Genei Ryodan and everything related to them as its main focus. Other subplots serve more like a route to get all the main cast gather in certain places at certain times to develop the Ryodan and events around them, moving the plot, and the groundwork for the next arc. While those subplots certainly hold importance and cannot be forgotten or ignored, to this particular arc, they're not equal in importance to things and events pertaining to the Genei Ryodan and, by expansion, to Kurapika. Just like Hisoka and the Ryodan's search for a jonenshi is a rather important subplot of Greed Island arc, especially for the future as you can see how drastically successful removal of the chain from around Kuroro's heart might change the situation for the main characters, but that subplot is by no means as important as Gon&Killua's training with Bisuke or Gensuru and his gang's subplot. So the search for Greed Island takes back seat to the Spiders in this particular arc until the next one where it becomes the main focus. It's what the arc implies in the first place, after all.

I thought that arc is called Yorkshin/Yorknew arc? :gwah

fanatik
May 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
^Not quite, it seems:
-Hunter Shiken hen (Hunter Exam)
-Tenkuu Tougijou hen (Heaven's Arena)
-Genei Ryodan hen (Genei Ryodan)
-Greed Island hen (Greed Island)
-Chimera Ant hen (Chimera Ants)

Here's a pic with their names:
http://s18.postimage.org/upils9pmd/v5back.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/upils9pmd/)

shareme
May 25, 2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the pic! You're right, it says "Genei Ryodan hen" <--- Glad there's hiragana on top of the kanji

So these are the official manga arcs and their corresponding volumes:
-Hunter Shiken hen (Hunter Exam): v1-5
-Tenkuu Tougijou hen (Heaven's Arena): v6-7
-Genei Ryodan hen (Genei Ryodan): v8-13
-Greed Island hen (Greed Island): v14-18
-Chimera Ant hen (Chimera Ants): v19-30 (maybe up to 31)

What magazine is this?

mrsticky005
May 25, 2012, 01:12 PM

The arc is called Genei Ryodan hen for a reason: it has the Genei Ryodan and everything related to them as its main focus. Other subplots serve more like a route to get all the main cast gather in certain places at certain times to develop the Ryodan and events around them, moving the plot, and the groundwork for the next arc. While those subplots certainly hold importance and cannot be forgotten or ignored, to this particular arc, they're not equal in importance to things and events pertaining to the Genei Ryodan and, by expansion, to Kurapika. Just like Hisoka and the Ryodan's search for a jonenshi is a rather important subplot of Greed Island arc, especially for the future as you can see how drastically successful removal of the chain from around Kuroro's heart might change the situation for the main characters, but that subplot is by no means as important as Gon&Killua's training with Bisuke or Gensuru and his gang's subplot. So the search for Greed Island takes back seat to the Spiders in this particular arc until the next one where it becomes the main focus. It's what the arc implies in the first place, after all.

I suppose.

Though I won't be writing anymore comparisons for this thread. Not because you disagreed. I certainly wasn't expecting everyone
to agree. Rather I'm quitting cause well it's too much effort and little reward. I'm not talking about anyone's response. I'm saying
that it's dull reading my own comparisons and even duller trying to revise it. Sigh. Now I feel like a jerk for creating this thread in
the first place. :(

futurefrog
May 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
There is no official terms for arcs, Togashi himself has openly stated in the past that he does not name any of his story arcs and doesn't care what people call them. So lets not be sticklers here, we all know what someone means when they say York New City Arc or Phantom Troupe Arc, if you don't you have not read enough Hunter x Hunter.

shareme
May 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
There is no official terms for arcs, Togashi himself has openly stated in the past that he does not name any of his story arcs and doesn't care what people call them. So lets not be sticklers here, we all know what someone means when they say York New City Arc or Phantom Troupe Arc, if you don't you have not read enough Hunter x Hunter.

Come on, man! Lighten up! You're so adverse to the word "official".

THIS is close to "official" arc names that fans will get. Much like the same way that Hisoka's a pedo but officially a "brave man" or that Alluka's a transgender but officially... whatever you want to call her.

mrsticky005
May 25, 2012, 11:53 PM
Come on, man! Lighten up! You're so adverse to the word "official".

THIS is close to "official" arc names that fans will get. Much like the same way that Hisoka's a pedo but officially a "brave man" or that Alluka's a transgender but officially... whatever you want to call her.

Uhoh...flame war is brewing.

Look let's just all forget this mess. Like I said I'm not doing anymore because it was more work than I cared to do. Sorry for wasting everyone's time but I always had fun reading
the comparisions from other posters (especially Popo) and I thought it would be fun
writing one and while comparing the two series is fun...trying to write about it in a clear
and concise matter is way too tedious for me. yes I am lazy but in truth I got other projects
I should be focusing on and I just think it better to leave the comparisons to the experts
if they so choose to make them.