PDA

View Full Version : Summer UEFA Euro 2012

Pages : [1] 2

goldb
June 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/57/UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.svg/343px-UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.svg.png

The tournament is nearly here; just under a day until the first match kicks off. This tournament kicks off what is to be a very sports packed summer 2012, so join the fun and share the laughs, tears and anguish!

Friday June 8

8 Jun, 17:00 Poland 1-1 Greece
8 Jun, 19:45 Russia 4-1 Czech Republic

Tuesday June 12

12 Jun, 17:00 Greece 1-2 Czech Republic
12 Jun, 19:45 Poland 1-1 Russia

Saturday June 16

16 Jun, 19:45 Czech Republic 1-0 Poland
16 Jun, 19:45 Greece 1-0 Russia

Saturday June 9

9 Jun, 17:00 Netherlands 0-1 Denmark
9 Jun, 19:45 Germany 1-0 Portugal

Wednesday June 13

13 Jun, 17:00 Denmark 3-2 Portugal
13 Jun, 19:45 Netherlands 1-2 Germany

Sunday June 17

17 Jun, 19:45 Denmark 1-2 Germany
17 Jun, 19:45 Portugal 2-1 Netherlands

Sunday June 10

10 Jun, 17:00 Spain 1-1 Italy
10 Jun, 19:45 Republic of Ireland 1-3 Croatia

Thursday June 14

14 Jun, 17:00 Italy 1-1 Croatia
14 Jun, 19:45 Spain 4-0 Republic of Ireland

Monday June 18

18 Jun, 19:45 Italy 2-0 Republic of Ireland
18 Jun, 19:45 Croatia 0-1 Spain

Monday June 11

11 Jun, 17:00 France 1-1 England
11 Jun, 19:45 Ukraine 2-1 Sweden

Friday June 15

15 Jun, 17:00 Ukraine 0-2 France
15 Jun, 19:45 Sweden 2-3 England

Tuesday June 19

19 Jun, 19:45 England 1-0 Ukraine
19 Jun, 19:45 Sweden 2-0 France

Quarter-final

21 Jun, 19:45 QF1 Czech Republic 0-1 Portugal
Stadion Narodowy, Warsaw

22 Jun, 19:45 QF2 Germany 4-2 Greece
Arena Gdansk, Gdansk

23 Jun, 19:45 QF3 Spain 2-0 France
Donbass Arena, Donetsk

24 Jun, 19:45 QF4 England 0-0 Italy
Italy win 4-2 on penalties
Olimpiyskyi, Kiev

Semi-final

27 Jun, 19:45 SF1 Portugal 0-0 Spain
Spain win 4-2 on penalties
Donbass Arena, Donetsk

28 Jun, 19:45 SF2 Germany 1-2 Italy
Stadion Narodowy, Warsaw

Final

1 Jul, 19:45 SPAIN 4-0 ITALY
Olimpiyskyi, Kiev

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/7krM4yWpbiDd9gDuWTSZ5Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_GB/Sports/Eurosport/858714.png
All match times shown are British Summer Time (BST)

xi0
June 07, 2012, 01:11 PM
Copying this over from Miyagi's post

Better late than never, if you want to join Fox Sports Mini Prediction League for Euro 2012, here's the instructions:

Dear Soccer Fan,

Mangahelpers has set up a mini league for new FOX Soccer Euro 2012 Bracket Challenge for this Summer's tournament. They would like you to join them for some intense gaming rivalry as the best countries from Europe battle it out!

Are you ready to accept the challenge? We've made it easy for you to get started.

Here's what to do:

1: Go to FOX Soccer Euro 2012 Bracket Challenge (http://eurobracket.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/clienthome.do) to register your account.

2: Take a look at the Euro 2012 matchups and make your predictions. Pick the right results and you could march your way to victory over your friends, plus put yourself in the mixer for our range of fantastic prizes (http://eurobracket.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/clientprizes.do).

First Prize is a $2,500 prepaid MasterCard gift card, second place will recieve an iPad 2 and we have lots of Fox Soccer 2Go subscriptions to give away too!

3: Once you've confirmed your entry, click on My Leagues and enter the following information in the 'Join A Mini League' section:

League Name: Mangahelpers
Password: myteamwillwin

You should now be all set to compete with (and hopefully beat) your challengers from Mangahelpers for the right to call yourself the Euro 2012 Champion.

Enjoy the game and good luck.

The Fox Soccer Bracket Team

The winner of the league will be awarded a badge, good luck.

FrostyMouse
June 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
Congrats on becoming blue, gold!

Joined up. I actually think France will win, but in the end, I picked Spain to beat Holland in a rematch of the 2010 WC Final.

BBB Banana
June 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
Germany all teh way woooooooooooooooooooooooo

Portugal tooooooooooooooooooooooooo Go my second country.

goldb
June 07, 2012, 02:49 PM
I'm sure Germany will get far but for once I actually DOUBT they can win this year, can't say why just have a "feeling". I've got my hopes on Netherlands this time, I've not rooted as my favourites before so here goes. They've played really good football in the last few international tournaments but just haven't transformed that into constant results. Hopefully they can pull through now and not falter.

BBB Banana
June 07, 2012, 03:37 PM
I find netherland's football good but very violent at times (for instance the game with most card sin history was between Netherlands and Portugal arround 6 or 8 years ago). If They win I hope I don't see a shameful football from them. I remember in the final when De Jong hit Xabi Alonso in the chest. Man as much as I think they play very well they need to contain themselves and play like true champions to be the champions.

goldb
June 07, 2012, 03:48 PM
Oh yes "that" incindent, If I remember correctly weren't they quite violent in that whole tournament? I seem to remember a match where there were many cards dished out involving them and.....was it Portugal or someone else?

BBB Banana
June 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
yeah they were always a bit violent despise having a high quality football.

Doraku
June 08, 2012, 07:41 AM
Oh yes "that" incindent, If I remember correctly weren't they quite violent in that whole tournament? I seem to remember a match where there were many cards dished out involving them and.....was it Portugal or someone else?

Yes, I remember how intense that match was. Don't forget Kung-fu kick incident by De Jong too, last year.

By the way, congratulation for your new rank!

----------

I'm rooting for Germany, but somehow I believe Holland / France would win the tournament. Still, group phase is often more unpredictable compared to knock out phase.

Miyagi
June 08, 2012, 11:22 AM
I'm surprised nobody picks Spain, they're the defending Europe and World Champions, they have more star players than any other team in their squad and they're an experienced team with players who know each other very well. Casillas is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, Pique and Ramos are top-class defenders, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and Xabi Alonso arguably constitute one of the best midfields of all time. The only problem is in their forward line, the top goalscorer of last European Championship David Villa is injured and Torres had a very bad season at Chelsea. Even then, IMHO they're still the favorites with Germany and Netherlands following closely behind.

goldb
June 08, 2012, 11:26 AM
They've not had a great build up campaign leading to the Euros though, that's my main concern and there isn't that "hype" that surrounded them as with the previous 2 tournaments. Whether that is because people are now expecting them to win it and are clear favourites or there are doubts in their form. Honestly though, it'd be no surprise AT ALL if they win but I've got doubts....

Googlez_kun
June 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
Rappadapadam! Anyone watching Poland vs Greece?Man,what a nerve-wracking game.

goldb
June 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yep, I'm still at work and watching it :amuse

It's been a good opening match, really high tempo and quite thrilling, particularly in the second half.

xi0
June 08, 2012, 12:47 PM
What a mess of a match :lmao

Googlez_kun
June 08, 2012, 12:54 PM
Meh,kinda dissapointing. the match itself was exciting,but Poland could've won easily.Man,my Polish heritage is dissatisfied. Hope they don't lose their spirit now.
(Admittedly,Greece wasn't too bad,but still)

BBB Banana
June 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
Man Gotta say Poland showed us a great football at the begining but they got tired and lost their chance to win the game. greece could have won on the second half.

An unfair expulsion to Greece and a fair one for Poland. It was a good game, not amazing but good enough, very exciting. Wish Poland had won. Hope Russia does a good campaing this year. (They had some pretty good campaings in the last euro and world cup but they never win :( )

goldb
June 08, 2012, 04:13 PM
My God Czech Republic were crushed lol if this is a sign of things to come then Russia will run away with this group :amuse

FrostyMouse
June 08, 2012, 05:07 PM
Poor refereeing the whole way. Shows why Spanish refs suck, but then again, this guy did give out the most red cards in La Liga this year. :P

Three atrocious decisions in the first half with two terrible yellows and then a non-penalty call. In the 2nd leg of Bayern vs Madrid at the Bernabeu, Ronaldo's cross to no one in particular accidentally collided with the defender's arm and he got a penalty out of it. If that was a penalty, then there was no way that Greece didn't deserve a penalty. Then, you can blame Greece for not finishing it; I mean, when he was taking the penalty, I was like, go left, because I just had this fear that it was going to be saved going right, and it totally was. Poor, poor penalty. I guess Robben's not the only bad penalty taker out there. :teehee

Although, given everything that happened, a 1-1 result was probably fair.

In terms of Russia vs the Czech Republic, I'd picked the Czech Republic to finish first and Russia to finish second in Group A, but my predictions seem a bit off after today. I knew that Russia had the better team, but I thought Cech would somehow inspire his team to glory in an effort to build on the CL glory, but like usual, the Czech Republic's defending was shoddy and Cech doesn't always go all out for the national team. I mean, to me, it looked like he didn't try all out, because after all, the cash he earns at Chelsea is more important than a Euro game. I'm being serious here. The Czech Republic isn't getting past the QFs, so...I was a bit disappointed that Russia added on two extra goals near the end, but that was all due to the poor defending.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Wow, take a look at this ref's record.

12 yellows and a straight red awarded in a single match.

http://thewall.co.uk/topics/27981-football--referee

The overall numbers of cards awarded, as you can see in the pic, is just staggering.

xi0
June 08, 2012, 07:27 PM
Banana and Armin didn't finish their brackets :fail

BBB Banana
June 08, 2012, 07:41 PM
What? I did it was giving some errors but I did it again and it was done :o

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Oh Fuck only because I was gonna win?

Doraku
June 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
I don't know which one to blamed Cech or poor defending. I'd say that Russia would come first in Group A, and then Poland second.

xi0
June 08, 2012, 08:09 PM
What? I did it was giving some errors but I did it again and it was done :o

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Oh Fuck only because I was gonna win?

You only picked the teams who would make the group stage. You didn't fill the rest of the bracket out.

FrostyMouse
June 08, 2012, 09:44 PM
That is entertaining. I think my bracket's going downhill, but at least seven of my quarter finalists will probably be right.

xi0
June 08, 2012, 09:59 PM
That is entertaining. I think my bracket's going downhill, but at least seven of my quarter finalists will probably be right.

You didn't pick Russia, or did you pick Greece?

BBB Banana
June 08, 2012, 10:18 PM
Man I thought the rest should be filled after we knew who actually advanced :fail

But my predictions will be spot on for sure.

xi0
June 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Man I thought the rest should be filled after we knew who actually advanced :fail

But my predictions will be spot on for sure.

Who would know? :hee

BBB Banana
June 08, 2012, 10:28 PM
isn't there a way to unlock it just this time? :p

xi0
June 08, 2012, 11:01 PM

I seriously doubt it. Miyagi created the league, so if there was he would know.

FrostyMouse
June 08, 2012, 11:52 PM
You didn't pick Russia, or did you pick Greece?

I picked the Czech Republic to win the group and Russia to finish second. While Russia was clearly qualifying, this disastrous result for Czech means that they're not finishing first in the group (nowadays the first tiebreaker is the head to head record, not GD), so Russia would probably have to not qualify in order for Czech to finish first. Czech can still finish second, but they can't finish first, barring some unbelievable results.

At this stage, it looks like either Poland or Greece will be the second qualifier; however, they each only got one point, so it's very possible for Czech to still qualify.

Didn't you read the thing when we signed up? As with all tournament brackets, it locks immediately before the first match of the tournament begins. So, no, there's no way to fix it.

BBB Banana
June 08, 2012, 11:59 PM
I voted for Russia to end first in its group and Poland Second. I believe playing at home is always a major point in this kind of competition. Remember Korea in 2002 world cup? Portugal during Euro 2004?

I believe my prediction for Group A will be right.

For Group B I voted Germany 1st and Portugal 2nd. Well probably because I think Germany is the favorite to win as well as spain. And Portugal Because I lived there for 10 years and want to believe they can do it.

xi0
June 09, 2012, 12:02 AM
That's fine for a sentimental pick, but you really think Netherlands won't go to the knockout stage?

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 12:14 AM
I have some faith in Portugal. They always shine in moments of huge pressure. I remember their matches against England and Netherlands in Euro 2004 and Germany world cup in 2006 (funny they beat both countries in these two competitions when they weren't really the favorites) those weren't easy games but they made it trough and reached the finals of euro 2004 and semifinals of world cup 2006.

Sure some great players like Ricardo Carvalho, Deco, Figo and Simão have retired and their coach is not as good as Scolari was but they have some great new players like Pepe, C. Ronaldo, Fabio Coentrão, Nani. I think that with a better coach they could go very far. (Maybe in a far away future Mourinho decides to coach the portuguese team)

In the last world cup they were eliminated early cuse they faced the champion spain but even then some new players were quite the surprise like Fabio Conetrão maybe this year some of their players will surprise again.

Well but yeah you can say my faith is baseless :XD

And also I wouldn't think little of netherlands if they didn't go to the next phase cuse you can say their group is a knock out phase alredy.

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 12:22 AM
I voted for Russia to end first in its group and Poland Second. I believe playing at home is always a major point in this kind of competition. Remember Korea in 2002 world cup? Portugal during Euro 2004?

South Korea was just corrupt refereeing, not South Korea's talent.

I believe my prediction for Group A will be right.

I didn't want to believe in corrupt refereeing, but after how poor the Spanish ref was today, it's happening.

For Group B I voted Germany 1st and Portugal 2nd. Well probably because I think Germany is the favorite to win as well as spain. And Portugal Because I lived there for 10 years and want to believe they can do it.

You only think that because you're German. Portugal will never do it. I don't even have Portugal qualifying for the knockout stages.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Sure some great players like Ricardo Carvalho, Deco, Figo and Simão have retired and their coach is not as good as Scolari was but they have some great new players like Pepe, C. Ronaldo, Fabio Coentrão, Nani. I think that with a better coach they could go very far. (Maybe in a far away future Mourinho decides to coach the portuguese team)

Well but yeah you can say my faith is baseless :XD

And also I wouldn't think little of netherlands if they didn't go to the next phase cuse you can say their group is a knock out phase alredy.

Hold on a minute. Pepe sucks. Fabio Coentrão's better than Pepe, but still not someone I'd want to be relying on in the clutch.

The WC Finalist not qualifying for the knockout stages of the Euros would be a much bigger disappointment than a Portuguese team not qualifying, which while talented, has quite a few holes. Portugal is basically all about relying on Ronaldo.

xi0
June 09, 2012, 12:25 AM
I didn't want to believe in corrupt refereeing, but after how poor the Spanish ref was today, it's happening.

After one game you say that?

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

And agreed...Pepe is not a GREAT player. Maybe when he's playing dirty and no one notices :cookiehand

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 12:28 AM
South Korea was just corrupt refereeing, not South Korea's talent.

You only think that because you're German. Portugal will never do it. I don't even have Portugal qualifying for the knockout stages.

I think south Korea had a lot of determination that world cup and they deserved to make it that far. I always like to root for underdogs and was quite happy for them getting 3rd place.

Agree today we had some referee mistakes but I don't think it was a case of corruption just games interpretation. Sure the red card for sokratis was unfair but I don't think it was corruption. Just the heat of the moment. And about the penalty I don't think it was a penalty either.

I'm not German lol I just have its flag because I'm rooting for it :p
Portugal has the second best player in the world and a decent defense. A foul play from any team near the great area could lead to a goal from C.Ronaldo. Nani is also a good striker and a counter attack could lead to a goal of his. Portugal is being underestimated by lots of people I think.

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 12:30 AM
After one game you say that?

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

And agreed...Pepe is not a GREAT player. Maybe when he's playing dirty and no one notices :cookiehand

Gary, did you see that link I posted of that ref's disciplinary record this year? http://thewall.co.uk/topics/27981-football--referee

Even disregarding that, those were three very questionable first half decisions: the two yellows, which weren't necessarily even fouls, and the non-handball penalty call.

Pepe, like some other questionable defenders, isn't amazing, but at times gets the job done through less than honest means.

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 12:33 AM
Hold on a minute. Pepe sucks. Fabio Coentrão's better than Pepe, but still not someone I'd want to be relying on in the clutch.

The WC Finalist not qualifying for the knockout stages of the Euros would be a much bigger disappointment than a Portuguese team not qualifying, which while talented, has quite a few holes. Portugal is basically all about relying on Ronaldo.

I think Pepe is a good player sure very violent and a sore loser but he's good when he's got his head cool.

I don't really care about seeing a world cup finalist reaching the finals of euro... sure if they play a good football go ahead, but it would be much more exciting to see something new and surprising rather than some repeat of last world cup...

As I said sure he's violent, but so are players from netherlands.... and that is most of the team not just a single player.

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 12:35 AM
I think south Korea had a lot of determination that world cup and they deserved to make it that far. I always like to root for underdogs and was quite happy for them getting 3rd place.

Have you forgotten about all of those disallowed goals, which allowed South Korea to possess in matches that they fairly lost?

Agree today we had some referee mistakes but I don't think it was a case of corruption just games interpretation. Sure the red card for sokratis was unfair but I don't think it was corruption. Just the heat of the moment. And about the penalty I don't think it was a penalty either.

If Ronaldo got a penalty out of incidental handball contact (especially when there was no one else around and the defender's arm was unlucky to touch the ball) in the 2nd leg of Bayern vs Madrid at the Bernabeu, then there's no way that Greece's play wasn't worthy of a penalty.

I'm not German lol I just have its flag because I'm rooting for it :p
Portugal has the second best player in the world and a decent defense. A foul play from any team near the great area could lead to a goal from C.Ronaldo. Nani is also a good striker and a counter attack could lead to a goal of his. Portugal is being underestimated by lots of people I think.

That's terrible. I'm a France supporter, but it's not like I change my flag. I spent the entire spring in Germany though.

It's only because Portugal needs to overcome one of Germany or Holland in order to qualify for the knockout stage. If Portugal were in any other group, I'd say that they would be a shoe in to qualify, but they're in the group of death. Say Portugal had gotten to play in Group A or in France and England's group, they would've easily qualified. Portugal could surprise us all, but they just haven't been overly convincing as of late.

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 12:36 AM
That Just shows that referee likes to give out a lot of red cards not that he's corrupt. I think he's just a bad referee...

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 12:40 AM
I think Pepe is a good player sure very violent and a sore loser but he's good when he's got his head cool.

I don't really care about seeing a world cup finalist reaching the finals of euro... sure if they play a good football go ahead, but it would be much more exciting to see something new and surprising rather than some repeat of last world cup...

Well, it's about being a team of sustained quality. Spain's been the best team in the world for four years, the 09 Confed Cup aside, but people don't go all out in that anyway.

As I said sure he's violent, but so are players from netherlands.... and that is most of the team not just a single player.

It's not just about the violence with Pepe. I feel that he gets caught out in big moments, which can often lead to Madrid conceding. Considering that Portugal's team is inferior to Madrid's, moments like that be even more harmful for Portugal. Admittedly, most international squads aren't as good as their club teams, with the exception of Spain.

Yeah, some of Holland's players do not deserve to be on a football pitch, such as Nigel De Jong. Howard Webb just didn't want to send someone off at that point, but that was the worst offense that didn't earn a red card that I've ever seen. Xabi Alonso literally went flying.

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

That Just shows that referee likes to give out a lot of red cards not that he's corrupt. I think he's just a bad referee...

Of course he's a terrible referee, but what could convince UEFA that he was a good referee in their first place? He handed out 12 yellows and a straight red in a match once this year.

xi0
June 09, 2012, 12:40 AM
One of the commentators mentioned that he gave out something like 17 red cards this season yeah. But that's one referee and one match, so I'm not going to make a blanket statement like that.

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 12:50 AM
Banana, the reason I thought that the ref was a bit corrupt was that, apart from the obvious professional foul, he basically didn't make any decisions in Greece's favor. He wasn't throwing yellows at Poland, nor did he give one of Poland's players a yellow for a rather rash two footed challenge that found none of the ball.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

I suppose I was also insinuating that a lot of La Liga's refs are corrupt, but they're honestly just bad, not corrupt. :P

Spain's not Italy or anything.

xi0
June 09, 2012, 12:53 AM
So you're going to discard the send off Szczęsny got?

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 12:55 AM
Have you forgotten about all of those disallowed goals, which allowed South Korea to possess in matches that they fairly lost?

If Ronaldo got a penalty out of incidental handball contact (especially when there was no one else around and the defender's arm was unlucky to touch the ball) in the 2nd leg of Bayern vs Madrid at the Bernabeu, then there's no way that Greece's play wasn't worthy of a penalty.

That's terrible. I'm a France supporter, but it's not like I change my flag. I spent the entire spring in Germany though.

It's only because Portugal needs to overcome one of Germany or Holland in order to qualify for the knockout stage. If Portugal were in any other group, I'd say that they would be a shoe in to qualify, but they're in the group of death. Say Portugal had gotten to play in Group A or in France and England's group, they would've easily qualified. Portugal could surprise us all, but they just haven't been overly convincing as of late.

I don't really remember the stuff with korea as it has been 10 years already but I was happy for them.

Well every referee has a way to deal with things this one just thought it wasn't a penalty but we arguing over it won't change much as it's already in the past and we diverge in this point.

Well I'm just supporting a team I like nothing wrong with that. I'm not denying my country or anything as it isn't even taking part in the Euro.

If you consider the winners of a group of death as if they are set in stone is not a group of death anymore... really it's just another group... I think this group is way more open than the others.

Well, it's about being a team of sustained quality. Spain's been the best team in the world for four years, the 09 Confed Cup aside, but people don't go all out in that anyway.

It's not just about the violence with Pepe. I feel that he gets caught out in big moments, which can often lead to Madrid conceding. Considering that Portugal's team is inferior to Madrid's, moments like that be even more harmful for Portugal. Admittedly, most international squads aren't as good as their club teams, with the exception of Spain.

Yeah, some of Holland's players do not deserve to be on a football pitch, such as Nigel De Jong. Howard Webb just didn't want to send someone off at that point, but that was the worst offense that didn't earn a red card that I've ever seen. Xabi Alonso literally went flying.

Of course he's a terrible referee, but what could convince UEFA that he was a good referee in their first place? He handed out 12 yellows and a straight red in a match once this year.

Not sure if it's just my impression but Pepe always does better for Portugal than he does for Madrid. He did great every time he played for portugal. Same can't be said for madrid but you know if Mourinho trusts him who are we simple mortals to question his value as a player?

Well I haven't watched the match so I can't say anything about it but it's not the match with the most cards in history that one was funnily enough between portugal and netherlands in world cup 2006 it had 12 yellow cards and 4 red ones (and I watched this one and can say it was completely fair)... so it's not completely impossible for a referee to give that many cards if needed.

Have you by chance watched the said game with 12 yellows and one straight red?

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 01:10 AM
So you're going to discard the send off Szczęsny got?

I said that that was the one good thing he did all day.

I don't really remember the stuff with korea as it has been 10 years already but I was happy for them.

Well every referee has a way to deal with things this one just thought it wasn't a penalty but we arguing over it won't change much as it's already in the past and we diverge in this point.

Well I'm just supporting a team I like nothing wrong with that. I'm not denying my country or anything as it isn't even taking part in the Euro.

If you consider the winners of a group of death as if they are set in stone is not a group of death anymore... really it's just another group... I think this group is way more open than the others.

That's fair enough. It's not like I have anyone to support as an American.

I suppose that at that rate, it's not really a group of death, but as all four members rank in the top 10 according to FIFA rankings, it's ostensibly a group of death.

Not sure if it's just my impression but Pepe always does better for Portugal than he does for Madrid. He did great every time he played for portugal. Same can't be said for madrid but you know if Mourinho trusts him who are we simple mortals to question his value as a player?

Whenever I see Pepe play, it's always poorly. I cannot say that I've seen him play well, so I'm not sure about Portugal vs Madrid. The Special One can go jump off a bridge. :P

Well I haven't watched the match so I can't say anything about it but it's not the match with the most cards in history that one was funnily enough between portugal and netherlands in world cup 2006 it had 12 yellow cards and 4 red ones (and I watched this one and can say it was completely fair)... so it's not completely impossible for a referee to give that many cards if needed.

Have you by chance watched the said game with 12 yellows and one straight red?

That was actually one of the only matches in WC 06 that I missed. I was still in high school at the time and I was at a summer music camp during the middle of the WC. While I managed to watch most of the matches, I was unavailable during it. I remember seeing some of the highlights, and indeed, that was one of the most violent matches ever and the cards were all warranted.

No, I haven't watched it. I might try to go find it. It wasn't just about that one match, it was more than he handed out something like 16-17 red cards and 178 yellow cards in 29 matches. That's just crazy. You've got to be looking to give out cards to give out that many.

In today's match, the first yellow card was just a normal header. It's fine if you want to call a foul, but he might've been the only ref in the world who would've pulled out a card for that.

If you've noticed, Howard Webb's gone away from being a card giver. I watched some of his matches at the end of the Premier League and they were actually quite well refereed. I still have problems with him awarding United two penalties when they were losing 3-0 to us, but that's a different story. I didn't watch all of Russia vs the Czech Republic, but I thought that he reffed the match pretty well today. I like how he's letting people play and doesn't just look to pull out cards nowadays.

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 01:21 AM
FIFA's ranking is very meh to me... really ... I wouldn't give it much credit as in football tradition is also very important imo (as it brings more responsibility to a team's players and makes the enemies shiver) and this fifa ranking doesn't take that into account. It's not just about the last few years imo.

That game was awesome I must say really exciting. One of the best games I've ever watched

As for why UEFA choose him... well maybe they wanna raise some money as teams have to pay fines for any cards received and therefore they choose a referee that gives off a lot of them :3c

goldb
June 09, 2012, 11:26 AM
Was worried for a second as I couldn't remember who I had in my bracket as group A winner, so far so good though :amuse

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

1-0 Denmark! :blink against the absolute run of play. This is gonna be an interesting game now for the dutch....

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
That is interesting indeed. I haven't been watching.

goldb
June 09, 2012, 11:36 AM
Well the dutch have the majority of posession as you would expect, and Denmark's goal was the first opportunity at goal that they had. They have seem to be the more clinical team. Looks like it'll be hard for Holland to score.

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 12:00 PM
The game really changed after denmark scored, Netherlands is feeling the pressure after all losing this game give portugal or germany a huge advantage.

Netherlands has great attack and middle field but their defense was never that good. In the past they always relayed too much on van der sar.

In football it's always this way if you don't score when you have the chance you are bound to suffer a goal sometime. No matter how many good plays a tem has if they don't score it's futile.

Well I'm just loving it :teehee.

goldb
June 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
Their defence is really being exposed but Holland are having more and more chances at goal. 19 shots at goal so far, I wonder how many before they score :amuse

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 12:23 PM
Their defence is really being exposed but Holland are having more and more chances at goal. 19 shots at goal so far, I wonder how many before they score :amuse

Barca had how many chances in the first leg of the SF against Chelsea? I mean, the headline of that match was "One shot, one goal." It really is true that you'll pay for profligacy in front of goal.

goldb
June 09, 2012, 12:47 PM
Barca had how many chances in the first leg of the SF against Chelsea? I mean, the headline of that match was "One shot, one goal." It really is true that you'll pay for profligacy in front of goal.

It's funny because the commentators mentioned that same match a while ago. 2mins plus additional remaining in the game, still no breakthrough for Holland :worrybunny

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 01:10 PM
It's funny because the commentators mentioned that same match a while ago. 2mins plus additional remaining in the game, still no breakthrough for Holland :worrybunny

The same thing can be said for Bayern. When you have Mario Gomez up front, you're just hoping that he'll do something in a big match. He squandered countless chances against Madrid and Chelsea.

Well, that was quite the shocker, but Holland can still qualify. I picked them to lose in the Final against Spain against my better judgment, and now I think I'm going to pay for that. I'm a France supporter and I believe that they have the ability to beat Spain in the Final, but I don't really see it happening. This result for Holland definitely helps out Portugal, but for all we know, it could be Germany and Denmark qualifying or even Denmark and Portugal. Now wouldn't that be a shocker?

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Joey Barton has exceeded my expectations once again with his level of craziness. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18378032

Jorge D. Dragon
June 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
So the Tournament is already great.:) Group A matches were amasing.:) Of course it was great how Rusia won against Czech Republic.:) Sorry, all the czechs, but the match was really splendid.:)
Poland performed pretty good against Greece in the first half, but then Greece had a great chance to win when they got a penaly kick.:) Still Karagunis made an epic fail. Well, Poland has a good chance to clasify to play-off.:)

Well, the most unexpected for me was Denmark's victory against Netherlands.:) As everyone mentioned they game looked just like Barca against Chelsea, but still.:) Now it would be even more interesting to watch group B's matchs.:)

Now I'm watching Germany against Portugal.:) Great performance.:)

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
Man I'm jumping from one tv to another. In one TV I got Germany x Portugal and in another Brazil x Argentina Gotta say Brazil and Argentina has been more interesting so far. Man Brazil is playing lot again, but our defense is very week messi got two free passes to goal. But our attack is killer.

Back to Euro I don't think Portugal has been inferior to Germany this far but they can't get shots to the goal.

jorped
June 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
We didn't deserve this result imo ... a draw would the fairest end for Germany vs Portugal.

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 04:05 PM
I think Germany stifled Portugal for most of the game, plus got some timely blocks in, and while Mario Gomez is a painful way to lose a 1-0 match, I think Germany probably deserved it.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Man I'm jumping from one tv to another. In one TV I got Germany x Portugal and in another Brazil x Argentina Gotta say Brazil and Argentina has been more interesting so far. Man Brazil is playing lot again, but our defense is very week messi got two free passes to goal. But our attack is killer.

Back to Euro I don't think Portugal has been inferior to Germany this far but they can't get shots to the goal.

Allowing Messi a hat trick is not the way to win. :P

BBB Banana
June 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
I think Germany stifled Portugal for most of the game, plus got some timely blocks in, and while Mario Gomez is a painful way to lose a 1-0 match, I think Germany probably deserved it.

Allowing Messi a hat trick is not the way to win. :P

I wish it had ended a draw as it would be best for both the teams I'm rooting but portugal can still classify if Germany wins all games and they can win against Denmark and draw against Netherlands.

As I said our defense sucked but they are just young kids who were playing at our defense today cuse our two expert defenders got hurt and couldn't play.
Not using that as a excuse cuse the lost was fair. They shouldn't have let messi with that much space for him we need to find some good defenders we still have two years until world cup.
But as I said our attack is top class and we were even stolen one clear penalties and arguably two penalties in the game.

One thing I don't like is that even though our national team is finding its way slowly people want to get rid of our coach every time he loses no matter how many games we win.

FrostyMouse
June 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
I wish it had ended a draw as it would be best for both the teams I'm rooting but portugal can still classify if Germany wins all games and they can win against Denmark and draw against Netherlands.

As I said our defense sucked but they are just young kids who were playing at our defense today cuse our two expert defenders got hurt and couldn't play.
Not using that as a excuse cuse the lost was fair. They shouldn't have let messi with that much space for him we need to find some good defenders we still have two years until world cup.
But as I said our attack is top class and we were even stolen one clear penalties and arguably two penalties in the game.

One thing I don't like is that even though our national team is finding its way slowly people want to get rid of our coach every time he loses no matter how many games we win.

Yeah, most Brazilians I know want your manager sacked. On most days, barring the WC because Messi can't score there, you're going to give him a goal. You just can't let him get a brace or a hat trick.

I didn't see the Marcelo-Lavezzi brawl, but it probably was entertaining.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 10, 2012, 02:37 AM
About Germany against Portugal... well, I really had a feeling that it should have been a draw, but I had a feeling that if one of the teams scores a goal - that will end the game. And so the luckiest one was Germany. Mario Gomez isn't the most skilled forward, but this year he is just a profesional killer of his oponents. Maybe even last two years.:) Still I liked the game even though there was only one goal.

About Argentina vs Brasil... well, I was rooting for Brasil, but if you give Messi that much space to perform, then you get hat-trick from him.:) Still the game was interesting from both teams.:)

P.S. About Lavezzi - Marcelo's brawl... well it was totally anticlimatic and out of place. I absolutely didn't understand why Lavezzi started it. He's just entered the game and then got out of it with red card... Still, it wasn't surprising as it's rather normal for brasilian league or argentinian championship to have such raw style of playing.:) Not even talkin'g about Italy, where Lavezzi played. Still, I've never seen him being actually rude like this one.

FrostyMouse
June 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Playing without a striker has dulled whatever attacking presence Spain might've had. Italy's only barely been caught in the offside trap or they would've had a goal.

I also disagree with the selection. I would've wanted Mata in there and either Torres or Llorente as a striker. Get Busquets out of there, even if he is a Barca player and he's supposed to have more rhythm with the other Barca players. There's no crossing, no nothing. A lot of the Spanish players are shorter to begin with, so having a striker is what you needed. Xavi and Iniesta look like the target men and while it's okay, they're just not strikers, so...

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Italy got the deserved lead, but then took their foot off the gas there allowing Fabregas to slip inside. Torres blew a beautiful chance.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

1-1's a fair result for what we saw. I don't think we'll see any more of Super Mario, and we'll see Spain and Italy go 1-2 in the group as could be more or less expected. A lot of people seemed to expect Spain and Croatia to go through, however.

xi0
June 10, 2012, 01:25 PM
I personally picked Spain and Croatia, but I'm doubting my choice now to be honest.

FrostyMouse
June 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
That's fair. I picked Czech Republic and Russia, but it's looking like it'll be Russia and Poland/Greece. Then again, we all picked Germany and Holland, in some order, and now it looks like it can easily be Germany and Denmark.

xi0
June 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
That's fair. I picked Czech Republic and Russia, but it's looking like it'll be Russia and Poland/Greece. Then again, we all picked Germany and Holland, in some order, and now it looks like it can easily be Germany and Denmark.

I wouldn't count out Portugal to be honest. They looked dangerous yesterday, but they need some luck.

BOYS IN GREEN :arf

FrostyMouse
June 10, 2012, 01:53 PM
Shay Given should be taken to task for that...

Miyagi
June 10, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm still hopeful of Holland, their chances are still alive as long as they win against Portugal and Denmark loses to Germany. If Torres keeps playing like that, Spain will have lots of trouble though.

goldb
June 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
I think Spain vs Italy was a fair result though I think Spain had to work harder to get their goal out of the 2 teams. Spain's offensive problems were greatly exposed in this match as they had noone to make runs beyond the central defenders and stretch them when Fabregas was out wide. Italy's back 3 were brilliant today in dealing with Spain's midfield.

I agree with Frosty that Spain should've had a striker on, even if that striker would be Torres. The result of his substitution made the game more open and it helped Spain having a target man, though shame that target man is Torres :bored

Jorge D. Dragon
June 11, 2012, 01:49 AM
Suprisingly, when I watched Spain against Italy I wasn't moved as I expected to be. I didn't understand del Bosque's tactics. How can you play without strikers in a game against Italy? Or maybe he didn't intend to win? I would say that before its first goal Italy was better, but then Spain managed to score thanks to Silva and his briliant pass. When Jesus Navas entered the pitch he changed the game as he was more mobile than other spanish players and when Torres entered the game changed and Spain had several great chances to win the game, but Torres... I just had double facepalm after his efforts on goal... And when Buffon managed to control the ball better than he... well I didn't know what to say.:)
I believe in the next game del Bosque should use Negredo or Llorente.:) As Torres wasn't a real striker yesterday...

And Ireland against Croatia... well it was a briliant game.:) I really like how Croatia played on the previous Euro.:) And now they are also pretty good. So they might have a chance against Spain and Italy. At least to tie, but I consider them winning as a good posibility.:)

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 06:48 AM
Torres just looked stripped of all confidence in that match. The poise he showed for the finish against Barca and the hat trick against QPR just seemed gone. Those were two completely terrible plays. In the first one, he should've immediately smashed it, not tried to round Buffon, and in the second one, there was an easy layoff to the side for the goal, which he didn't take.

goldb
June 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
Torres just looked stripped of all confidence in that match. The poise he showed for the finish against Barca and the hat trick against QPR just seemed gone. Those were two completely terrible plays. In the first one, he should've immediately smashed it, not tried to round Buffon, and in the second one, there was an easy layoff to the side for the goal, which he didn't take.

Those were 2 of the most frustrating moments of the match and they both involved him. The exact same thoughts crossed me and my friends as we were watching the match; especially after the first chance when he should've taken the shot instead of attempting to go around Buffon. I just didn't want him to take anymore shots and lay off the ball to Jesus Navas who was unmarked on his right side.

Anyways, how are we seeing today's match between France and England?

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 09:19 AM
Those were 2 of the most frustrating moments of the match and they both involved him. The exact same thoughts crossed me and my friends as we were watching the match; especially after the first chance when he should've taken the shot instead of attempting to go around Buffon. I just didn't want him to take anymore shots and lay off the ball to Jesus Navas who was unmarked on his right side.

Anyways, how are we seeing today's match between France and England?

Don't forget about Super Mario seeming to forget where he was and allow Sergio Ramos to nip it and cut out the ball. :P

I still don't understand where Mata was; he was an influential member of the side in the WC, but he was just on the bench. It really seemed like Del Bosque completely disrespected non-Barca and Madrid players. Why was Busquets even on the field? If he didn't play for Barca, he'd never have touched the field. Seeing how much pace was lacking in Spain and what the introduction of Jesus Navas did for the team, why wasn't Mata on the field? If you don't trust Llorente, as Del Bosque doesn't seem to, just put Torres out there from the start. It just doesn't seem like Del Bosque trusts any of his three strikers, so he was hoping that midfielders could win him the match, but we saw that that's just not going to happen. Well, more than that, playing people out of their natural positions and hoping it works out was crazy. If you take away that amazing pass by David Silva, Spain loses 1-0 and Del Bosque is getting ripped right now.

I thought Jesus Navas played well for the little bit of time he was on the pitch, and if Torres lays the ball off to him, we would still be talking about Del Bosque's poor tactical approach, but we would also be talking about the changes he made to the side really made a difference. Instead, we're focus on Del Bosque not trusting his strikers and Fernando looking like an idiot. I hope that Jesus Navas can finally get over his chronic homesickness, or whatever it is, and move on to a bigger stage in the club world.

Well, I've been a France supporter since 1996, which is when I first started watching football. Here's how I see the match shaping up.

France has a superior striking force and a superior midfield, but possibly an inferior defense. Lloris and Hart are probably about on par, so that's not a huge factor. Neither of them is going to allow a bad goal like Shay Given yesterday or Robert Green's fumble between the legs against the US in 2010.

Benzema and Giroud are quality strikers and I expect a 2-0 or 3-1 victory for France. If Rooney were playing, I would give England more of a chance, but he's suspended. Admittedly, Rooney's never done anything for England, but this could've been his chance. Having Gerrard as your captain means that you have to keep him out there, regardless of how much he's struggling. Not only is he over the hill, but he's not a central midfielder, as we saw so easily proved against Belgium.

goldb
June 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
I expect France to win to be fair, anyone who says otherwise is high on some illegals. If Rooney was playing, it would've have been different but not in the bigger picture of the game. Our team is stricken by injuries and I'm sure that even the ones in the starting 11 will be carrying a knock of some sort. With that said, I'll be patriotic and hope for a draw :derp

If Gerrard and Parker are both up for it, it will be a good game to see how France plays around them. Though Gerrard isn't the captain Marvel he used to be...

With Spain's match yesterday, I felt as if Del Bosque and the team were stubborn and didn't want to change tactics after falling behind, and even when they were level in the closing stages of the match, I didn't feel any GREAT urgency about their play. Yes, the game was more open and faster paced but it seemed like Italy were going to keep that scoreline. I think next match Del Bosque will HAVE to start with a striker, even if it is Torres; as they NEED a target man upfront that can hold up the ball for a bit and allow the midfield to move forward.

Less than an hour til today's match, gonna watch it here in the office. :nod

Jorge D. Dragon
June 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
Currently watching England against France.:)
My expectations for the game are quite high. Mostly because of France as they showed good quality in friendlies and during qualification for Euro 2012. Ribery and Benzema had great season this year.
Still England has a good chance if they will be careful and if they will cherish their moments unlike Torres.:) Though as I see it they will play in a Chelsea style.;)
I believe there is a good chance of a draw.:)

goldb
June 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
England scored and I missed it, bloody work. :crying

Should make for an interesting match now, we'll see how France respond to this....

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 11:38 AM
Milner blew the early chance, but Lescott nicely finished Gerrard's free kick. Diarra was unlucky not to score there.

goldb
June 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
France equalised, bloody shoddy defending. :fail

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
Nasri scrapes past Joe Hart for the equalizer.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

I don't know, Bob. I blame Joe Hart more than anyone else. I thought he could've had it. I do think having Cahill as opposed to Lescott might've helped, as Cahill did make some huge blocks in the CL for Chelsea this year.

goldb
June 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
Ribery ran that play well but yeah being beaten at your near post really shouldn't happen to a goalkeeper of his quality. I was watching that half in brief moments but England seemed to stand off the ball a lot during the last few minutes; dunno if this was recurrent during the half. There didn't seem to be much pressure, instead they slowly backed off towards their own goal.

Hoping for some improvement in the second.

BBB Banana
June 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
Man gotta say this match is more equal than I expected. I hadn't seen england playing in a while but everyone spoke of it as if it was a dead cat but gotta say their attack is fast and while not perfect is good in counter attacks. And their deffense line is very solid really surprised with their deffense almost perfect. Too bad the goal keeper is very bad.

France is playing slightly better but the match could go to anyone.

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
We've got the contrast of Joe Hart making poor plays with Rami and Nexis playing poorly for France's defense. The match swings to whichever group plays better. Hart has played better than Lloris, as he saved the header, but then the easy clip into the corner erased the nice save from Diarra's header.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

1-1's a good result for England in the end. I was more than a bit disappointed that Laurent Blanc waited until the 84th minute to make substitutions and that he didn't try to get his team to go for it. I wanted to see Giroud the whole night as France didn't really have a huge threat in the box to aim for and he's pretty decent with his head.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Zlatan and Shevchenko score within minutes of each other to make an interesting second half.

goldb
June 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
Shevchenko scored again, bloody brilliant; can still teach these youngsters a thing or 2 about being a phenomenal striker.

I think England came with a game plan, that in the end worked. Doesn't mean I like it but they defended as a unit and sat back and took a shitload of pressure from France, wave after wave, having Benzema resort to long shots quite often. I think they wanted this point as a way to set them up for the other games which I expect them to win.

In the end you could clearly see how tired England players were, huffing and puffing. Scott Parker was brilliant, shame for me he didn't finish the match as he's on my fantasy team. He really just threw himself on every ball and challenge that was around him, real team player.

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
It's the Shevchenko. Wtf?

goldb
June 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
What do you mean?

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
What do you mean?

Well, Bob, I haven't had much faith in Shevchenko for years, although after that 10 minute display, maybe I should renew it.

Need I remind you about his failures for Chelsea, which were almost as impressive as Torres'?

goldb
June 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
No need to, I remember lol Both him and Crespo had dismal career at Chelsea but on the international stage, well they were still good.

Ukraine have taken off Sheva and bought on a defender I think, 8 or so minutes to go; right call I think.

FrostyMouse
June 11, 2012, 03:52 PM
I don't know what it is about Chelsea, but we've contrived to ruin the careers of several previously great strikers. All in all, it was a deserved win for Ukraine.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 12, 2012, 03:15 AM
Ukraine has shown a great game! Especially Sheva.:) He was brilliant! Two goals with a head.:) After Ibra scored I had a feeling that Ukraine still had a chance and they didn't dissapoint me.:)
Well, now Ukraine has a chance of passing the group stage and going to play-off.:)

Miyagi
June 12, 2012, 03:30 AM
England was my second pick for the group but after their poor performance against France, Ukraine seems to have a good chance to finish the group in top two place with the support of their fans. Ukraine vs England will prove to be a very crucial game.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
I won't count out England just now, because even though they don't show some splendid game, but you should take in consideration that Chelsea showed close to none performance in play-off of the Champions League with the exeption of the second match against Napoli, but they've still won the tourney. Hence I believe that England might pull something, especially when Rooney comes back and teams up with Welbeck as they know each other from Man Utd and thus have a good understanding.

Bugzee
June 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
England should've had several free kicks in the first half...let alone in the second. Stupid ref. Hmpf.

I quite like our attack force of Young, Welbeck and Oxbo-chamberlainisuoskfjsfdosdsldsdsingingignig. It's awesome. We're finally going to show the other shitty side of Europe what entertaining football is. :smile-big

I hope so anyway. :oh

Jorge D. Dragon
June 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Czech Republic really surprised me in their game against Greece. Czech guys looked great, especially in the first half. They practically dominated the game. Even in the second half they were good, but Greece managed to make the game more even and even score one goal, but to loose by 2 goals at the 6th minute... you can't even tie in a game that easy...
The thing I didn't like about the match was another error on Chech's part, when he couldn't catch the ball and Greece managed to score one goal.

BBB Banana
June 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
Poland plays well and make some great plays but their effectiveness seems to fall as the game goes on. Russia as always is playing greatly. I wanted this game to end a draw as it would be best for both of the teams I support in this group.

Go Poland~ Go Russia~

Jorge D. Dragon
June 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
The game looks interesting for now.:) Poland looked great in the first half, but we were a bit luckier for now.:)
Hope the game would be as interesting as it was also in the second half.;)

BBB Banana
June 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
I predict Russia giving more trouble to Poland. Poland teams seems to get tired too quickly or rather their energy fades away when their crowd gets less agitated.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 12, 2012, 02:50 PM
Poland seems to have the best conditions at the begining of every half of the game. It was the same when they played against Greece. But then around the second part of every hald they looks not that great both physically and technically.
Still, it's football, so everything is possible.

Googlez_kun
June 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
Maaaan, Poland should've won. I'm fine with a draw, but getting those three points would've made everything easier. It makes it especially agonizing because they would have deserved the victory. Either way, I think they have a good chance against Czech Republic. Looking forward to that match; it will be thrilling.

BBB Banana
June 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
Well either way they would have to win against Cezch Republic.

Just winning grants their classification cuse I don't think Greece can beat Mother Russia.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
The game was interesting.:) But I don't know what has happened with our defense. It was way better against Czech Republic. Still Poland showed a good game. And they will have a good chance against Czech Republic. Still, it won't be that easy as they will be also extreamly motivated.

As for now Greece looks the weakest in the tournament. So far they didn't show any good game neither in attack, nor in defense.

Still, tomorrow we are going to get some interesting games. Hope Netherlands will try to show us, why they were considered among the favourites of Euro and if Germany wins tomorrow, well they will be already in quater-final and also they might even have a chance to get the first place already.

Googlez_kun
June 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
Nah,if Poland won today,a draw would have been enough against Czech Republic. Then it would be: Russia(3/4/6),Poland(5),CR(4),Greece(1/2/4). Poland would advance no matter how Russia-Greece ends.
Well,it doesn't matter as it ended in a draw,but I would've loved to watch the next game with my mind at ease.

However,I'm also rooting for Russia,so this situation pleases me as well,even though not as much.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game: Germany-Netherlans.

BBB Banana
June 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hope Germany beats Netherlands and Portugal beats Denmark.

I hope Germany wins all games that way Portugal only needs a draw against Netherlands

Googlez_kun
June 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
I was actually rooting a little for Netherlands, but it seems they can't get their act together. If they fail against Germany, I guess they won't deserve staying in this tournament.

Portugal-Denmark should be onesided,but with their victory against the Dutch they should be a little more confident, so maybe it'll be more interesting than expected.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
I think if Portugal has a bit of luck tomorrow they will have a great chance against Denmark as they didn't seem any special to me during their match against Netherlands. They had just one chance and scored, when Netherlands had tons and didn't have luck. If Cristiano and Nani will play as they play for Real and Manutd respectedly - they might have a great chance to win.

Bugzee
June 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
Portugal haven't really shown much spark or flare. They've been average tbh. I'm hoping they kick into gear in the coming game(s).

Poland scored an excellent goal. Lmao when Arshavin lost the ball that led to the Poland counter and eventual goal. Hahahaha. Arsenal should've kept him. =P

FrostyMouse
June 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
I still can't fathom how Cech is so bad for the Czech Republic, but the horrors of Euro 08 are being repeated. Wtf was that? Where was the Cech who dived the right way on all six penalties that he faced during the CL Final, including saving three of them? That was the Cech of legend. Tonight, it looked like Robert Green or Shay Given was minding the net for CZ.

Tonight, we got reminded what the real Arshavin is like. Although, I wanted Poland to have lost, but that's a different story. :hip

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 01:51 AM
I would say tha Cech's only good matches were the semi-finals and final of Champions League, while all his season was quite average. Still it was a bit shocking to me how he was playing the first to games this Euro as it seems that he looks weaker than most of the goalkeepers for now.

I believe today we might have some interesting performance, especially on part of Portugal and Netherlands as they've lost their first matches and thus they have to absolutely win these ones, otherwise they won't have a chance to qualify to the quatefinals.

goldb
June 13, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ok so today's match-ups:

Denmark vs Portugal

Netherlands vs Germany

Thoughts?

Miyagi
June 13, 2012, 04:20 AM
Netherlands vs Germany can go either way, Germany will be more relaxed and content with a draw, Netherlands will likely press for the win but won't take too much risk because a loss will be costly. Neither team was impressive in their first games but I see Germany a little bit closer to victory because they have the psychological advantage and IMHO the better team.

I give little chance to Denmark against Portugal. Sure, they defeated Netherlands but they don't strike me as a strong team and I don't think they have the necessary qualities to perform well in a consistent manner. If they concede an early goal, they may suffer a heavy defeat against Portugal who will be determined to defeat them and get an advantageous position in the group before their last match against Netherlands.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 04:36 AM
I believe in Germany against Netherlands it will depend on what tactics van Marweik will choose. Hope he won't play as he tried to play against Denmark. Hope he will place at least two forwards on the field from the begining. It would be great to see van Persie with Huntelaar from the begining. They didn't have much chance to play together in the first game, so maybe they will show us some interesting things in the upcoming game, but I'm afraid that va Marweik won't do this...
On the other hand Germany is in a great condition and I think that they will play better than in the game against Portugal for several reasons. First they already have 3 points, and then they also had a better gameplay in the first match and of course its quite an impoirtant game for them when they can asure their first place in the group.:) But I believe Germany will use counterattacks for the most part as they don't have a need to rush. On the other hand I believe that Netherlands will try to control the ball and try to attack from the begining to score early goal.

Denmark - Portugal... Well I see it as it was when Denmark played against Netherlands. They played on counterattacks and dutch controlled the ball and made tons of attacks. Still |believe Portugal has a good chance of victory if they score an early goal. At this point Denmark might go forward and try to get an equaliser, but it may lead to 2-0 or even higher score. Everything will also depend on Cristiano's and Nani's mood.

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
I think Germany gets a narrow win or a draw and I'm predicting that Denmark draws. Portugal's literally Cristiano and a bunch of people who don't really like Cristiano, whereas Denmark's really a team.

BBB Banana
June 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
Damn won't be able to see the first half of portugal's game as I have a class to give but I will surely watch the second half. Hope Portugal wins.

And hope netherlands loses.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
Currently watching Denmark against Portugal.:) Hope the game will meet my expectations.:) I would really like to see joga bonito.;)

jorped
June 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
Goal :woo
Lets go Portugal :yelling

Amazing game of Pepe so far ...

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

0-2

Keep like this Portugal :yelling

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
Pepe's goal was unfortunate to concede, but Postiga's was lovely. Portugal's playing quite well.

jorped
June 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
fuck 1-2 :crying

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Well, it's certainly proving to be an interesting match.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
For now Portugal is playing great! It seems that I've predicted right about joga bonito!:))
And well, Bendtner's goal was scored from an obvious offside on Bendtner's part...

jorped
June 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
If we loose or draw i blame Ronaldo .. failing easy chances and not helping on the defence .. always leaving Coentrao with two players to cover !

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Agreed. Especially when he had a great chance to make 1-3 just several minutes before Bendtner made an equaliser.
Still I stay on my opinion that Bendtner's first goal was scored from an obvious offside.

jorped
June 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
Goal !

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
Yeah:) Portugal won the game and now we have quite an interesting intrigue in this group.:)
Now it would be great to watch Germany against Netherlands.:) It would be interesting to see how dutch would act as they know the result of this match.

P.S. Portugal and Denmark achieved the same result as Czechs and Russians - 5 goals in a match on this tournament.:)

BBB Banana
June 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
Man I so believe nethrlands is not gonna advance in the tournment. And when I said they weren't going too far people said I was crazy :lmao

If Germany wins against them all portugal needs is a draw against them and goodbye second strongest team in the tournment :lmao

I can imagine the pressure they are going trough there's no way they can play at ease with all that pressure.

Go Portugallllllllllllllllllll~~~~~~~~~~

But man C.Ronaldo missed those two shots. those two goals could give them the edge in case they lose against netherlands as it would increase their goal count in a worst case scenario.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yes, it's always better to score as much as possible, especially when there is a great chance that at the end they will count your goals. Still for now it seems that Portugal has an edge in this department, but everything will be more clear after Germany against Netherlands.
I believe Netherlands will try to win as they already know the result of the first game of the day.:) I think much will depend on what tactics van Marweik will choose, but he is too defense-oriented couch, hence it might be that even in the game he needs to win he might use the same 4-5-1 tactics with one forward and two-three attacking midfileders.

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
Ronaldo blew two easy chances and they were lucky to win.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
If Portugal wouldn't have won everyone would blame Ronaldo, because of his inability to score in those situations, but for now they won't torture him.:)
Let's hope to see a good game from Germany and Netherlands.;)

BBB Banana
June 13, 2012, 01:43 PM
Indeed I started to feel bad about him when he missed the goal and denmark tied it. I don't like him very much because of his atitude but I lived in portugal for 10 years and I know how portuguese people are hard on him sometimes.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Yes, he is really a difficult person to interract with. The thing is that he made himself as he was born and lived for quite some time on Madeira and then went to Sporting Lisboa's football academy and then if I'm not mistaken at 16 or 17 he was already playing for Man utd where he won tons of touramnets including Pre,iere League and Champions League and then he also won several cups with Real and La Liga and he has also got tons of individual trophies.:)
Of course he is a bit arrogant, but who want be like him in such a situation. In my country football players act mostly like him even though all of them combined aren't anywhere close to him.;)
But still I can understand portuguiese who don't like him as everyone can have his own opinion on a person.:)

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
RVP has the opening and fails.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
For now Netherlands play the same way they played against Denmark. They control the ball, they have moments, but can't show a good aiming and can't even show shots on target. I think they don't have luck.

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
Where was this Mario Gomez for Bayern?

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
He had actually a good season this year, but still he can't be the only one to decide the result of a long-distance tournament.:) Especially as Bayenr had problems inside the team during the season. They even fought among each other to some extent.

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
Wtf? Two goals for Mario Gomez?

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
Gomez is just insane today.:))
And I just don't know how Netherlands can play so bad in defense! They practically don't have any defense and Germany could have scored even more.

BBB Banana
June 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Man what a team germany. The perfect team. A perfect defense and a perfect counter attack. Even when Netherlands has the ball they completely erase their effectiveness.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
For now Germany seems the best team on the tournament.:) Still the match isn't over, so anything can happen. And we also have the last match. Hope that Germany will play to win in the last game no matter what result they will have in this match.

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
RVP gets one back, but it's still 2-1.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
So at the end Netherlands had some luck as van Persie managed to score goal due to Noyer couldn't see the ball because of his own defender.:)
Still germans had more chances during all the game, so they truly seem like the best team on Euro for now. Still it's too early to conclude.:)

FrostyMouse
June 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
Well, with Del Bosque reticent to use any of his three strikers, Germany has an advantage as they actually have a striker who's scoring.

jorped
June 13, 2012, 05:02 PM
The thing about Ronaldo is that sometimes he needs to be less arrogant .. most people here really want him to triumph but we don't like to see some of his behaviours sometimes ... nor do we see him as someone who has to be praised all the time. He is praised when he does things well ... and when not like any other football player ofc we are not going to say he was good if he wasn't ... like we would do for any other player. The thing today that pissed me off most, wasn't the fact that he missed 2 "easy" chances to score but the fact that he didn't help Coentrão as much as he could ... if you look to Nani, you notice he did really help a lot defensively ... while Coentrão most of the times where facing 2 at the same time without anyone helping him ... which made the job really hard on him. Without Pepe, which is without any doubts one of the best on his position ... we would had suffer a lot from Ronaldo lack of assisting the team defensively ... another reason we are also mad it's because we want him to win the golden ball's trophy and doing these exhibition it will be impossible for him i think ...

Doraku
June 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
Whoops. It seems that my prediction really far from truth. I never expected that Dutch's offensive line would be this awful. They already blew their own chance.

BBB Banana
June 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't blame their ofense line. I would blame their lack of luck in the first game and german eficience. So far all my predictions seem to be going the right way.

xi0
June 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Do fans actually care about the Golden Ball/Boot/Glove? :oh

Win the trophy that matters! I guess it's a consolation of some sorts, but to say Portugal had no shot to win the whole thing is a lie in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

I was off about Netherlands being in the final. I should have gone with Spain, but who knows with that now.

Doraku
June 13, 2012, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't blame their ofense line. I would blame their lack of luck in the first game and german eficience. So far all my predictions seem to be going the right way.

I think they have the best offensive line is the best in Group B (with Huntelaar and Van Persie who perform really well in their respective club) and I honestly didn't think that Mario Gomez would be the sole goal-scoring machine for Germany.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
xi0
I really care for the Golden Ball and Golden Boots.:) It's always interesting to see who will win them in each Euro or FIFA World Cup.

FrostyMouse
Actually Spain has the striker who can score - Llorente from Bilbao and Negredo from Sevilla. They had a good season in their clubs. The problem is that del Bosque doesn't want to put them in 11. Though I might be wrong and he will use one of them today.;)

xi0
June 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Oh, I don't disagree about it being interesting. But I wonder whether the fans of a particular team/country care if their team doesn't perform up to expectations.

goldb
June 14, 2012, 01:43 AM
Netherlands :gwah :bored

Jorge D. Dragon
June 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
xi0
I'm normally dissapointed even though I'm normally used that Russia doesn't meet my expectetions.:)
That's why I also have some other favourites like Spain, Portugal, Netherlands. Last three big tournaments it's also great to watch Germany, especially they were great on 2010 FIFA World Cup.:)
P.S. I also like how Croatia and Ukaraine perform lately.:))

And damn! Croatia is great against Italy.:))

FrostyMouse
June 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
Actually Spain has the striker who can score - Llorente from Bilbao and Negredo from Sevilla. They had a good season in their clubs. The problem is that del Bosque doesn't want to put them in 11. Though I might be wrong and he will use one of them today.;)

Jorge, you missed what I was saying. I was saying that Del Bosque didn't have a striker that he really trusted, not that they couldn't score. Llorente was great for Bilbao this year, for example.

I heavily dislike how Del Bosque basically only plays Barca or Madrid players, but that's just me. Torres played well today and got two deserved goals; however, we must look at the fact that Ireland didn't make much for opposition. Mata was a big part in the WC, but we haven't even seen a sniff of him in the Euros so far. Perhaps he got injured in practice or Di Matteo wants him to take summer off to some degree. Who knows, but I think Mata would give them something that I just see them lacking. Get Busquets out of the team now.

1-1 was a fair result for Italy vs Croatia. Assuming that Spain beats Croatia and Italy beats Ireland, my prediction of Spain and Italy as 1-2 in the group will work out.

BBB Banana
June 14, 2012, 10:39 PM
Spam bot quoted me. I felt it was weird the guy had the same picks as me and lived in portugal for 10 years too lol :lmao

Well today wasn't as boring as I thought it would be. I thought Italy would easily win against Croatia but this draw makes things more fun. Although everything still points to Italy advancing as Croatia's last opponent is nothing less than Spain.

xi0
June 15, 2012, 03:26 AM
I heavily dislike how Del Bosque basically only plays Barca or Madrid players, but that's just me. Torres played well today and got two deserved goals; however, we must look at the fact that Ireland didn't make much for opposition. Mata was a big part in the WC, but we haven't even seen a sniff of him in the Euros so far. Perhaps he got injured in practice or Di Matteo wants him to take summer off to some degree. Who knows, but I think Mata would give them something that I just see them lacking. Get Busquets out of the team now.

The majority of the team is either on FCB or RM. I do think there is something there though, he played a lot more of the non-FCB/RM players in the World Cup.

Why do you keep saying Mata was a big part of the WC? He only appeared once as a substitute in the group stage. Do you mean in the qualifying? I agree that there have to be better options than Busquets, but maybe Del Bosque insists on keeping that Barcelona midfield intact. We can't say it hasn't worked obviously.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 15, 2012, 04:20 AM
FrostyMouse
I agree with your point that he doesn't trust in his strikers. Maybe with the exeption of Torres. I actually see del Bosque as very conservative couch. He knows that Barca players are great and most of them were among those who won the previous Euro, thus he doesn't really want to change them. Also Madrid's players are also great, especially Casillas, Xabi Alonso and Ramos as they were also among the basis that won previous tournaments for Spain and also La Liga for Madrid.
Also del Bosque trained Madrid as well and won everything with it, so of course he will rely on its players.;)
Still I also agree that he should have used more Mata as he had a great season in Chelsea. I would say he was the only one who didn't dissapoint me during the entire season.
Still I agree that Busquets should be out of the game... Well not only I don't like him as a person, but also don't get his role in this team. It would be even better if his place was given to Javi Martines or even some attacking midfielder like Mata or even Fabregas as the latter had a great experience in Arsenal playing both as attacking midfielder and box-to-box.

About the situation in group C... Well now it's gotten pretty interesting.:) I still hope that Spain will adevance from the 1st place and Croatia from the 2nd. It would be great if Croatia manages to take at least 1 point from the match against Spain. I really like Croatia's game more than Italia's (sorry italians or Italy's fans).
About yesterday's Spain's game... well, nothing special.:) I really like that Torres has finally broken his curse.;) Still as in the first match I would say that their best player is still Silva. In the first game he made a desisive pass for the equaliser and now he scored a goal and made two passes. He was also great in City this year.:)
Also I really enjoyed watching spanish and irish football fans being well with each other before and during the game even though Ireland lkost to Spain.

About today's matches... I hope England will win. They really have a good chance as they managed to get one point against France and now if they win against Sweden (as they don't look strong in any way, especially as they were during the match against Ukraine), then they can get a good position to qualify to quater-finals.;)
And also I hope Ukraine will play as good as they played against Sweden. If they play the same way and have a good luck, then they can get from 1 to 3 points against France. Especially if Sheva will play as he did against Sweden.:)
Still would be great if France shows us something great today, but still I will be routing for Ukraine.:)

FrostyMouse
June 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
There just has to be someone better than Busquets to put in. For example, he could've used both Torres and Fabregas, instead of leaving Fabregas on the bench. What was that? Unless Busquets is just there to dive or flop in some big situation to get an opposing player carded, because that's how I see him for Barca.

I always hope for France, but again, I think the problem is Ribery as always. Without someone decisive like Zidane managing the team, things aren't going to work out, seemingly. Giroud needed to be in as he's France's only real target man. Benzema's a good striker, but he plays off of Ronaldo for Madrid and Ronaldo opens up situations for everyone. I had liked Laurent Blanc up until this game, but I thought it was a poor managing job. France should be able to beat Ukraine and Sweden, but who knows.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Hopefully we get the France vs Ukraine match in soon, preferably tomorrow.

BBB Banana
June 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
I thought the game would be delayed until tomorrow but thankfully it didn't

Jorge D. Dragon
June 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yes, Buaquets seems mostly the one to dive and to act like in bad Bollywood films if you get what I meen.:)
It would be actually great to see both Fabregas and Torres on the pitch as it seems that Xabi Alonso can manage the stopper position pretty well without Busquet's help and the same Fabregas or Xavi Ernandez can help as he sometimes plays at this position in Barca.

For now the match between France and Ukraine seems quite even, so it might happen everything in it.:)

FrostyMouse
June 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
Indeed, but it's still quite wet out there. We'll see how it ends up.

I was hoping to have Giroud and M'Vila start, but it's fine.

BBB Banana
June 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
2 great goals from france. Even though I was rooting for them at the beginning seeing the disappointment on the Ukrainian coach's face made me feel bad :(

scav
June 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/drapeaux/drapeaufr.gif ALLEZ LES BLEUS ALLEEEEEZ http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/drapeaux/drapeaufr.gif

FrostyMouse
June 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
Go France!

scav
June 15, 2012, 02:21 PM
dang your avatar :barf
*unsubscribe

Jorge D. Dragon
June 15, 2012, 02:29 PM
France was just overall better as their players are overall better, but still Ukraine had several great chances, especially Sheva.:) It was really dissapointing to see sad face of Blohin after France's first goal(((. But still, thanks both teams for the great match! France is already in quaterfinals. The question is from what place will they qualify?

Watching England against Sweden... well, Englands is a bit better and Carrol has just scored a goal, so it may happen that England will make Sweden say goodbye to Euro after this match.

FrostyMouse
June 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
England's defense was more than a bit suspect at times, but all power to them for fighting back. Walcott's assist to Welbeck's backheel/whatever that was was truly beautiful.

Miyagi
June 15, 2012, 04:36 PM
It's the first time England has ever defeated Sweden in official matches but a deserved one. It was one of the best matches of the tournament, perhaps the football quality was not top-notch but both teams came back from behind to take the lead in an exciting game with five goals.

Imperium
June 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
I was wondering why no one was posting about the Euro's in the football thread. So the Euro's has its own thread, sweet. So far this has been an amazing tournament.

My little moments of the tournament so far:

Favourite goal: Gomez first against Holland
Favourite miss: Ronaldo against Denmark (both haha)
Favourite Match: England vs Sweden
Favourite moment: This (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrjfbx_the-fields-of-athenry_sport) without a doubt.

I'll speak about England and the rest of the tournament so far tomorrow.

Bugzee
June 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
England's best game so far. No question about it. Loved the second half. I always thought Walcott played better when he comes on as a sub than in the starting line up. Some players are just generally like that. Far from being labelled as a "super sub" at present. I hope he continues to create chances like that in the coming games. Wasn't impressed with Ashley Young's performance yesterday. Wasted too many chances and ran about like a headless chicken most of the game.

Wouldn't mind seeing Walcott, Welbeck and Oxlade in attack for the last group game against Ukraine. Let the youngins show them how it's done. :D

Scotty Parker is without a doubt my favourite England player. Dude is a fricking tank in midfield and never gives up. Definitely deserves more praise and credit for his efforts on the pitch. :nod

I'm going to watch the Czech x Poland game over the Russian one. I think it'll be more entertaining with some good end to end play. As for my favourite goal so far...I just loved Pirlo's free kick against Croatia. Pirlo is still world class and he's probably my favourite all time midfielder. If I had to choose one anyway. :p

Jorge D. Dragon
June 16, 2012, 11:11 AM
England's showdown against Sweden was great, even though at some point, when Sweden took the lead I thought that Sweden could get some chance in this group, but Walcott's entrance was a desisive factor in England's victory over Sweden. I really enjoyed the game and I hope England will play like this in the last game. Even though I would route for Ukraine I wouldn't mind England winning if they play like this.:)
Speaking of Sweden... well they had a great chance to change their position and become one of the leaders of the group, but when they had a lead Ibra missed his big chance and then England has got an equaliser and then England was just great.:)
So now we can already say goodbye to at least one team after the second day.

And today we are going to have some interesting desisive performance in group A.:) I will be routing for Russia in their game against Greece. Hope they can win this one.:)
And it would be interesting to see Czech Republic against Poland. Don't even know whose team among these two I like more, but czechs showed a great performance against Greece in their second game, but Poland also had a great performance in both of their games, especially on part of Levandowski and Blashakovski, so it would be great to see a good performance and to finally see what will be the final ranking in this group.:)

Googlez_kun
June 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
Poland sucks. I wanted them to get to the quarter finals at least,but they won't make it this way. Won't deny that I'm dissapointed, as I thought Poland could be better with a team like that, but no, they decided to suck anyway...

FrostyMouse
June 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
All credit to Greece, well played by them. They defended well and took advantage of the one moment of slack defending by the Russians.

The Czech Republic won as expected and I ended up being right about them finishing first in the group. :P

It was unfortunate for Russia, but they played worse every game after the 4-1 thumping that they gave to the Czechs.

Kurohitsugi
June 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Well done Greece and Czech Republic! :)

BBB Banana
June 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
Wow man I still can't believe Russia is out. And I was rooting for Poland too. My two picks got out... but man it feels so surreal.

Doraku
June 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
Greece once again surprised me. It's kinda acceptable if Poland doesn't pass the group stage, but if Russia doesn't pass too, they are just unlucky, I guess.

goldb
June 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
Complete shocker for Russia to be eliminated, they had one of the easiest groups on paper but Greece pulled a miracle out and quite deserved their spot.

Hoping for Netherlands to pull a miracle, which is not unlikely but I don't think they'll be able to do it. If they are eliminated from the group stages, it'll be first time it has happened since 1980 :iik

BBB Banana
June 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
I will pray and try dark magic to make sure they don't advance :derp

Portugal all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy~~~~~~

FrostyMouse
June 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
It's not like my predictions for Group B are right. I went Holland and Germany as 1-2, and even if Holland does manage to qualify, they'll be second in the group, so I'll have been wrong about the order, which is all that matters.

Miyagi
June 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
This is a very tough day for Netherlands, even a win isn't enough, they need two goals score difference against a team which they beat only once in ten matches. They'll also wait for Germany's win against Denmark which isn't a given considering that Germany has already qualified and has no reason to put much effort into today's game. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar had a very successful performance in Euro 2012 qualifiers and Bundesliga being the top goalscorer in both, if he finds a place in the starting line-up and Ronaldo continues his disappointing performance, a surprise may ensue though, Netherlands has the necessary talent to pull off a win.

BBB Banana
June 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
Germany isn't exactly in the next phase already. They could potentially lose their place if they take like 6 goals (lol yeah sounds ridiculous but I'm just stating it XD) and portugal also wins. So they should at least play for the draw.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Woooo Portugal a deserved win. Sorry Netherlands fans but this was the most over rated team I've ever seen. Their attack was good but that's it their deffense sucked balls plus they had weak spirit cuse they would only play greatly when they had the advantage. We could also see the group falling apart from the coach and even from each other.
And this sum what I said about them right at the beginning they are good but don't play like champions. Being a champion means facing hard times head on just like Chelsea did this year Netherlands was unable to recover whenever they were losing, they couldn't even handle themselves when they started winning the game.
Ok such a long post.

FrostyMouse
June 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
I felt bad for Denmark in the end, but that's life.

Way to fail, Holland!

Miyagi
June 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
It was almost impossible for Netherlands to win with such poor defending, Portugal totally deserved to win and advance to the next round. Netherlands lost all three matches which IMHO is the biggest surprise of the tournament. They were considered to be favorites by many fans.

Bugzee
June 18, 2012, 03:16 PM
I hope Italy and Croatia win tonight! That would make my day! Seeing Spain crash out during the group stages would be awesome!

FU Barcelona! FU Madrid! :yelling

Forza Italiano~~~

Googlez_kun
June 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Man,every team I'm rooting for sucks lately.I'm afraid Spain might not even make it past this round...

Yeaaaaah!Spain did it. I didn't expect the end to be this exciting. Croatia really had some good chances at the end and I thought they'd score for sure. But in the end, Spain managed to score and get out of the group as the first team. Wonder what team they'll play against in the Quarter Finals.

goldb
June 18, 2012, 03:46 PM
Finally a group that ends exactly how I expected it. Too many disappointments in this tournament. Spain were so below their level it was unreal at times but credits to Croatia for keeping their defence so solid for such a long time.

I have to say I really don't like Del Bosque's system of no strikers though...

Googlez_kun
June 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
Just noticed that Ireland really got a beating this Euro. First the 3-1 against Croatia, then the 4-0 spanking against Spain and now another loss against Italy. At least the fans were fantastic(no pun intended).

BBB Banana
June 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Well I got the results for group B and C right. If everything goes right group D will be right too.

FrostyMouse
June 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
I wanted to pick Italy, but I chose Croatia because Italy had been getting older, Super Mario's an idiot, and people believe in Modric (although I don't). Foolish decision.

goldb
June 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
Balotelli love's controversy. He's the only person I know that gets angry after scoring a goal, how stupid.

BBB Banana
June 18, 2012, 04:30 PM
C.Ronaldo also gets angry sometimes when making a goal.

xi0
June 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
I wanted to pick Italy, but I chose Croatia because Italy had been getting older, Super Mario's an idiot, and people believe in Modric (although I don't). Foolish decision.

I had essentially the same opinion.

Does anyone think Ukraine can pull it out?

BBB Banana
June 18, 2012, 10:54 PM
They aren't a bad team so who knows. But England is strong so I don't think so but I could be wrong. After Russia what do we know lol.

FrostyMouse
June 18, 2012, 11:29 PM
It doesn't look like Sheva's going to play (he'll be out with a knee injury), so Ukraine shouldn't be able to muster up any resistance to England.

goldb
June 19, 2012, 01:00 AM
Though I don't like the fact that Rooney will most likely just walk back into the starting 11, it'll be great to have him back in the team. I think we can get the victory if we keep our defence as tight as against France and boss that midfield; and with Rooney up front, all we'll need is 2 or 3 chances and he'll score.

FrostyMouse
June 19, 2012, 01:15 AM
Though I don't like the fact that Rooney will most likely just walk back into the starting 11, it'll be great to have him back in the team. I think we can get the victory if we keep our defence as tight as against France and boss that midfield; and with Rooney up front, all we'll need is 2 or 3 chances and he'll score.

Rooney is definitely more efficient with chances than say Carroll or Welbeck, but Rooney has never really performed for England, so I don't know. Without Sheva, Ukraine doesn't stand any chance, so the result's not in any doubt, but I've never seen any of the brilliance that Rooney shows for United when he plays for England.

xi0
June 19, 2012, 01:37 AM
Fact.

They even bothered to make reference to Rooney's underwhelming performance in that epic Nike commercial from WC 2010...it's funny that it didn't end up changing :yodawg

Bugzee
June 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
Tbh, I haven't missed Rooney. Just as Frosty said he rarely performs at international level. So much hype and reliance on Rooney never pays off. Hodgson is the first manager in a long time that has actually given a chance to all the youngsters slash those English players who do not play for a top 3/4 PL team. I like his approach. I'm hoping the team gels as each game goes by. Rooney's return is welcomed but it doesn't change anything in my eyes.

So who will it be facing England in the next round!? Italy or Spain? :XD

....or neither. :neutral

BBB Banana
June 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
Rooney played very well. But IMO the game was really unfair had that goal been validated we could have a completely different result.

I was rooting for England and France from group D at the begining of the competition but gotta say Ukraine really caught my heart. They played well against all team they faced and I would have loved to see them go on on the competiton (sorry english folks)

And the crowd cheering when Shevchenko got in was beautiful.

xi0
June 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
Ukraine got absolutely screwed in my opinion. Oh well...

goldb
June 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
Rooney played very well. But IMO the game was really unfair had that goal been validated we could have a completely different result.

I was rooting for England and France from group D at the begining of the competition but gotta say Ukraine really caught my heart. They played well against all team they faced and I would have loved to see them go on on the competiton (sorry english folks)

And the crowd cheering when Shevchenko got in was beautiful.

Rooney didn't play that well for me, you could tell that he's not fully match fit yet and should've been taken off a lot sooner than he was. England rode their luck and treaded on extremely thin ice for the majority of the game and had those shots outside the box fallen to a team with better strikers of the ball, they would've lost this match.

England looked so linear and dull, no player could really carry the team forward in that final third. Gerrard and Scott Parker were absolutely brilliant but they were playing from the back and providing the link going forward but also keeping the shape. Oxlade Chamberlain should've gotten on sooner and stretched Ukraine when they were going forward looking for that equalising goal. Don't even get me started on Faillbeck :-_-

FrostyMouse
June 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
While England was pretty bad, plus there was the controversy, France didn't even manage to score. What was that display by them? Laurent Blanc made some more terrible managerial decisions. He didn't really make any changes until about the 78th minute. It was clear to me, at least. If Benzema wants to play as a No. 10, play him there and just put Giroud up top. When Giroud actually came on, he made France's best chance all day off of that corner. I don't understand what the fuck Ben Arfa was doing on the field. Mexes sucked as usual.

For the QF against Spain, which clearly looks to be Spain's win at the moment, I'd like to see Giroud up top supported by Ribery, Benzema, and Nasri. I'd like to see Del Bosque start Jesus Navas and Torres and freaking ditch Busquets. How does he manage to start Busquets but bench Fabregas?

xi0
June 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
My only guess is that they don't play the same position. Cesc is more of a natural attacker while Busquets is more of a defensive/box to box player. It's obvious who the better player is, so I don't know.

FrostyMouse
June 20, 2012, 12:48 AM
My only guess is that they don't play the same position. Cesc is more of a natural attacker while Busquets is more of a defensive/box to box player. It's obvious who the better player is, so I don't know.

Yeah, but what exactly does Busquets give you even as a defensive/box to box player? He's not that quick and it's not like the rest of the midfielders aren't good at possession or dispossession/intercepting passes. I know, Del Bosque plays a 4-2-3-1, where Xabi Alonso and Busquets are your holding midfielders, but couldn't you just drop Xavi or Iniesta a spec down the pitch? Admittedly, this might hurt Spain's offense, but they don't really need two holding midfielders. Use Torres up top, and support him with Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, and Jesus Navas, and then just have Xabi Alonso a little behind them supporting the back line. Although, Spain's back line is questionable...I don't know.

xi0
June 20, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hah, I guess you sort of answered your own question :XD. Del Bosque could be fixated on having those two mids playing back to keep possession and smothering the opponents box to box. I do think a Spanish side playing two strikers would be a bit odd though, at least without Villa in there.

FrostyMouse
June 20, 2012, 01:10 AM
Hah, I guess you sort of answered your own question :XD. Del Bosque could be fixated on having those two mids playing back to keep possession and smothering the opponents box to box. I do think a Spanish side playing two strikers would be a bit odd though, at least without Villa in there.

Yeah, I know, that's the problem. While I like the idea of 4-2-3-1, I don't think it works perfectly with the players the Spanish have at their disposal. It leads to better players being out of the squad.

You could do a basic 4-4-2 with Fabregas as the No. 10 and Torres as the No. 9. However, Del Bosque doesn't do a straight up 4-4-2. As you said, without Villa, a 4-4-2 has no chance of working for the Spanish.

While FIFA games aren't real life, for a long time, in a bunch of iterations in the series, I did a 3-5-2, which was really a 3-2-2-1-2 if you want to be technical. It gave me two holding midfielders, as well as a pair of wingers and a CAM, plus two strikers. It was really an attacking minded 5-3-2, as my holding midfielders dropped back a little more, but could still go forward. Obviously that's problematic in real life, as it leaves you really open to counter attacks, such as what Barca encountered in the CL SF against Chelsea. Although, Barca doesn't play as wide as that in the same way. The point is that three in the back is really questionable in real life situations, so while I'd like Spain to just load up their talented offensive players, I feel like it would just go badly, regardless of whether there were three or four at the back.

I just think Del Bosque needs to do something different. While Jesus Navas is ostensibly a winger these days, he was more or less playing as a second striker for a while during some of the games, so it's not like Del Bosque didn't experiment with having two strikers on the pitch, although Jesus Navas isn't a great goalscorer. Here's what I'd like to see in reality.

Torres
Mata-Fabregas-Jesus Navas
Xavi-Iniesta
Back Four

The problem there is that you don't have any holding midfielders and have to rely on a questionable back four. Doesn't Spain have anyone else who could fix the problem?

Xavi, Iniesta, and Xabi Alonso could be in a slightly deeper role supporting Fabregas and Jesus Navas, who would be behind Torres, for a 4-3-3. I'd like to see that, for example, but Del Bosque seems to want the two holding midfielders. I think Spain needs to shore up its back four, and then some of the problems could be fixed. Of course missing David Villa doesn't help, but...

In terms of managers fixated on playing one way or the other, look at Laurent Blanc. Even though Benzema's more of a No. 10 than a No. 9, he insisted on trying to make him play up top and not giving him Giroud to supply balls to. A perfect French squad should be some form of a 4-4-2 with the players that they have, but Blanc claimed that the 4-4-2 is outdated and playing with two strikers no longer works in the modern game. Today, he put Giroud up top late on, and changes were seen.

xi0
June 20, 2012, 01:32 AM
I'm not sure if the back 4 can be shore up in this tournament. Ramos really shouldn't have cut his hair, he doesn't look like the same player (:derp). Plus it's pretty much a known fact that Ramos and Pique don't have much use for one another. While I think they're all more than professional enough to not let any of that get in the way, it doesn't help chemistry. Ramos has always been the type of player to want to be involved offensively and I find it odd that he plays Right Back for RM but is now slotted in at Center Back for Spain because Tarzan is out. I guess he's played both but I'm used to him being on the outside for some reason.

In any case I think putting Alonso in at a lone back mid position won't do much. I like the idea of a 4-3-3, though they've sort of done that without a true striker against Italy. I don't think Mata would fit well in that formation as he always struck me as more of a Winger but who knows. Like anything else it becomes about who you sit in that case.

FrostyMouse
June 20, 2012, 01:59 AM
I'm not sure if the back 4 can be shore up in this tournament. Ramos really shouldn't have cut his hair, he doesn't look like the same player (:derp). Plus it's pretty much a known fact that Ramos and Pique don't have much use for one another. While I think they're all more than professional enough to not let any of that get in the way, it doesn't help chemistry. Ramos has always been the type of player to want to be involved offensively and I find it odd that he plays Right Back for RM but is now slotted in at Center Back for Spain because Tarzan is out. I guess he's played both but I'm used to him being on the outside for some reason.

In any case I think putting Alonso in at a lone back mid position won't do much. I like the idea of a 4-3-3, though they've sort of done that without a true striker against Italy. I don't think Mata would fit well in that formation as he always struck me as more of a Winger but who knows. Like anything else it becomes about who you sit in that case.

I meant shoring up the back four for WC 14. :P

Yeah, I know. It's the same thing that was present with the England squad up until this year's Euros. You would think that people would be professional enough to get past club rivalries, but they're really not. Ramos is only a CB for Spain because they have no other capable defenders at the moment. Will Tarzan ever play again, or are his injuries not that severe? I don't like Arbeloa at all, nor that Alba (I think?) fellow. I'd prefer Ramos as the RB as he's an attacking minded player, and being a CB stifles a lot of that.

I can agree with that. Having a single holding midfielder doesn't do anything. A 4-3-3 without an actual striker is really more like some screwy 4-6-0 though, which we saw was the problem. When Torres came on and made it an actual 4-3-3, the squad livened up completely. He did miss two quite easy chances, but that's not to say that the formation didn't work out. Mata doesn't work in a 4-3-3 at all, which is why I didn't mention him for that. Mata really only works for Spain if they're completely focused on offense and have a respectable back four, something which isn't true at all. Mata works in a 4-2-3-1, such as what Chelsea have, but even Chelsea doesn't really have two dedicated holding midfielders. Lampard's become a holding midfielder as he no longer possesses the pace to be a CAM and then, for next season, we'll use Mikel/Ramires as a second holding midfielder and/or in a slightly more advanced position.

I think Spain's problem in general is that a lot of their skill players are smaller and aren't versatile players who can be used around the pitch. Del Bosque's gone to relying on Busquets, not because he's that good of a player, but because the rest are too offensive and won't sit at all. While Spain's midfielders are more skilled than Germany's overall, Germany's are more versatile and you can move them around more easily.

I think a 4-3-3 without Busquets is Del Bosque's best option, but he's never really done that wholeheartedly. If Tarzan was present, I think he'd be willing to ditch Busquets and trust more in the back four, but this issue will plague Spain for a while. I still think Spain wins the Euros, but I don't think that they have a chance in WC 14 unless they fix their defensive issues. If, and when, Villa returns from the broken leg, what do you do then? A large amount of players who break their legs are never the same as they're just not willing to risk it. By WC 14, Torres will be older and Villa's a question mark, so who will Del Bosque turn to? Llorente or Negredo? He doesn't trust either of them as far as he can throw them. I just see the future of Spain as being more like a 4-6-0 and hoping things work out. You can't get a replacement for Messi and that's the problem. Torres and Navas don't link up perfectly with the Barca players. Now, if Del Bosque could convince Messi to ditch out on Argentina and become a Spanish citizen, he'd be in business. :P

xi0
June 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
I pretty much agree with all of that analysis :mono

Just think if Messi did become a Spanish citizen way back when :cookiestare

There's not chance of that ever happening though, he would be completely trashed by his home country :rofl

FrostyMouse
June 20, 2012, 02:25 AM
I pretty much agree with all of that analysis :mono

Just think if Messi did become a Spanish citizen way back when :cookiestare

There's not chance of that ever happening though, he would be completely trashed by his home country :rofl

Messi moved to Spain at a relatively early age, and as he's lived there for years, he could've done it. Spain would be nigh-on invincible if Messi had become a Spanish citizen.

Yeah, he would get trashed by Argentina if he'd done that, but it's not like there aren't players who have. There are a bunch of Brazilians floating around Europe who became citizens of various European nations for one reason or another, and some of them because they wanted to play international football and they couldn't do that for Brazil.

xi0
June 20, 2012, 02:29 AM
Oh I'm well aware of the story and the narrow miss Spain had.

Yeah but they're not at the level of Messi :sweat

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

And yeah we've been through the same thing with Giuseppe Rossi here, but it's soccer so it isn't paid attention to like it should. Sure he's free to do what he wants, but come on man :bored

I actually wasn't that upset to see he didn't make the Italian squad :fan

FrostyMouse
June 20, 2012, 02:32 AM
Oh I'm well aware of the story and the narrow miss Spain had.

Yeah but they're not at the level of Messi :sweat

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

And yeah we've been through the same thing with Giuseppe Rossi here, but it's soccer so it isn't paid attention to like it should. Sure he's free to do what he wants, but come on man :bored

I actually wasn't that upset to see he didn't make the Italian squad :fan

Yeah, I know. In a way, I wish that he had become a Spanish citizen.

Of course they're not. A lot of them were sucky players.

Yeah, he should play for the US as he is an American, but he has more chances to succeed if he plays for Italy. He could have become the star of America though.

The only reason that he didn't make the Italy squad is that he's injured...He tore his ACL, iirc.

xi0
June 20, 2012, 03:05 AM
Ah yeah, I forgot that detail -_-;

In any case I don't think Italy is in horrible shape at FW with Balotelli, Cassano, and Di Natale. Not sure if he was needed anyway...kind of a silly statement as far as FW go but whatever.

FrostyMouse
June 20, 2012, 03:09 AM
Ah yeah, I forgot that detail -_-;

In any case I don't think Italy is in horrible shape at FW with Balotelli, Cassano, and Di Natale. Not sure if he was needed anyway...kind of a silly statement as far as FW go but whatever.

That's a rather large detail to forget. :-_-

No, they're fine without him. Super Mario was even excellent against Ireland, but it was Ireland.

xi0
June 20, 2012, 03:10 AM
Yeah I even saw him on ESPN in the studio for one of Italy's matches and they asked him about the injury :bored

Still...SCREW 'EM :yelling

goldb
June 20, 2012, 05:54 AM
So apparently after last night, Sepp Blatter has come to the conclusion that goal line technology (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/20/euro-2012-sepp-blatter-goalline-technology?newsfeed=true) is now a "necessity". Despite the fact that this decision is obvious and should've been implemented a long while ago, his timing could not be worse.

Doraku
June 20, 2012, 08:37 AM
So apparently after last night, Sepp Blatter has come to the conclusion that goal line technology (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/20/euro-2012-sepp-blatter-goalline-technology?newsfeed=true) is now a "necessity". Despite the fact that this decision is obvious and should've been implemented a long while ago, his timing could not be worse.

I think he hates England that much :derp. The fact that the goal line referee is absolutely more prone to mistake rather than devices is obvious. He was opposing the idea right? I don't know if goal line is a good idea or not, since some people argue that human error is what makes football game is more interesting .

Bugzee
June 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
England vs Italy. I hope both teams keep there current formations just a few changes will occur I guess. There's bound to be a red card in this game. I just get that feeling.....Ballotelli!? No Toti around thank god! :XD

Jorge D. Dragon
June 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
Seeing what mistake made referee during the match between England and Ukraine... well I don't even know what to say. We had some jokes that maybe a sexy chick has caught his attention and thus he hadn't seen the ball crossing the line, but even though it was just impossible to not see this as there are just tons of refferees at the pitch now. Man they even have one near the gate...
Also I just don't understand Blpatter. He just looks like some crazy fanatic as he doesn't want any progress in football. Of course sometimes mistakes are acceptable, but not such mistakes. Seriously the stadium in Donetsk has Hawk-eye system. You can see every moment and at least know if someone scores goal, so you don't need to invent anything. Everything is already done, you just need to give it a try and enjoy good football. As after this mistake Ukraine (one of the two homing countries) has lost its chance to get to quater-finals. It was especially strange after remembering how Korea was given aid by refferees during 2002 FIFA World Cup...

Nevertheless it would be interesting to watch the first quater-final match between Czech Republic and Portugal. I would say and obvious thing and would choose Portugal as a supposed winner as they have better players and they showed better quality in their respective games in the group stage (even when they lost against Germany), but still it's one match and everything can happen. Especially if Czech Republic will manage to score first and then will 'use a bus to defend" (if you undestand what I mean).
Still I hope the game will be interesting and for now I will be routing for Portugal.;)

Imperium
June 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
Blatter has come out in support of goal-line technology after the mistakes in the Worldcup and again after this Euro's. It will most likely be in place by the next world cup, they are testing various systems to use I think. Platini as always is against it but his idea of an extra referee was flawed as seen with the Ukraine match. Besides its the IFAB will vote on it if it becomes a law and Platini has little power there if most of FIFA is for it.

The Ukraine goal is being too overplayed. If there was such technology already in place it would have shown Milevsky was offside anyway. That goal would never have counted. A bad referee call was cancelled out by another bad referee call.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 21, 2012, 02:56 PM
Portugal plays better for now, but they just don't have luck as Ronaldo had several moments, but hit crossbar twice. For now the game is ok, but czechs play even better than I expected.:) The game is at least intrigueing for now, but it also seems that Portugal hasn't shown its best yet for now.:)

jorped
June 21, 2012, 04:38 PM
Portugal ... Portugal :woo

BBB Banana
June 21, 2012, 04:42 PM
Portugal did another great game specially on the second half. It's the team that has been growing the most during the championship. While some of the favorites keep disappointing like Spain and France. Spain only played really well against Ireland which was the weakest team in tournment without doubt. And France seems to be having some internal issues again.

Portugal and Germany seem to me the two most consistent teams. I'd say Portugal has a bigger shot of winning than I initially thought.

And hell yeah go portugalllllllllllllllllllllllll~

FrostyMouse
June 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
Portugal played well, but in the first half, they were rather shaky.

goldb
June 21, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'll be damned if they get to the final as they'll be playing Spain in the semis if things go according to how I'd want it. :nod

xi0
June 21, 2012, 07:08 PM
Portugal got lucky and was matched up against a team that really didn't belong there in my opinion. No one else in the tournament will be so lucky to face a team of that level.

That being said, Portugal deserved to win.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 22, 2012, 03:43 AM
Of course Czech Republic was one of the weakest among those who reached the quaterfinals. but still they deserved this place at least because they showed passion and the will to play up to the end.:) After a great loss by 4-1 against Russia they managed to show a great progress both in attack and defense and managed to get to quaterfinals. Of course I didn't expect them to win against Portugal, but at least they managed not to loose with some awful score.:) Of course Portugal and Ronaldo in particular weren't lucky and they also had Postiga injured, but still czechs also played ok and had several moments.:)
If we are talking among the weakest team in quaterfinals... I would name Griece. Maybe it's because I just don't like how they play, but primarly I can't find any real game they play. I believe Germany might stomp Griece today if Germany scores an early goal.

jorped
June 22, 2012, 04:32 AM
Portugal got lucky and was matched up against a team that really didn't belong there in my opinion. No one else in the tournament will be so lucky to face a team of that level.

That being said, Portugal deserved to win.

Lucky? To get this match up we needed to survive the most difficult group of all ... Denmark, Netherlands and Germany. Ofc we were matched up against one of the easiest that have made it to the next round ... but still it wasn't an easy opponent. We all knew how the Czech would play .. which was with almost all players behind the line of the ball.
Greece isn't also that strong ...but we all know well that it might end being a difficult game for Germany ... i still don't forget the way we lost the final of the Euro 2004 in our own place ... but i think both Portugal and Germany kinda deserve to have this weaker opponents by now because the groups phase was really that difficult compared to others's groups.

Also Czech has some good players ... but the result ended being kinda small for our exhibition and our opportunities. And once again Ronaldo sends the ball 2 times to the crossbar. So far after the critics 2 excellent exhibitions .. lets hope he keeps that way. BTW great game of Moutinho ... great player that i have the pleasure of seeing playing on my team (FC Porto). Pepe once again perfect ... Coentrão also playing really well. Nani, made a really good second half. All players should be happy cuz they have been playing really well, much better than i previously had anticipated.

Now between France and Spain ... i think we would have more chances against France i think, though and year ago or so we beated Spain on a friendly game by 4-0 ... but i say France cuz it would also be the perfect time to get our revenge ... over the last competitions, they have managed to eliminate us plenty of times ... and right now even if they still have a good team, with Nasri, Ribery,Benzema ... it hasn't the quality of the France of Zidane, Henry ....

xi0
June 22, 2012, 04:59 AM
Lucky? To get this match up we needed to survive the most difficult group of all ... Denmark, Netherlands and Germany. Ofc we were matched up against one of the easiest that have made it to the next round ... but still it wasn't an easy opponent. We all knew how the Czech would play .. which was with almost all players behind the line of the ball.
Greece isn't also that strong ...but we all know well that it might end being a difficult game for Germany ... i still don't forget the way we lost the final of the Euro 2004 in our own place ... but i think both Portugal and Germany kinda deserve to have this weaker opponents by now because the groups phase was really that difficult compared to others's groups.

Like is often the case, this Euro's "Group of Death" wasn't as stout as it seemed on paper. I'm not even sure if that was the actual Holland team...maybe the team got replaced by clones :XD. Denmark was a nice surprise, but they benefited from facing a Holland team that was asleep at the wheel. Seriously, one of the biggest disappointments in any competition I can remember. Funnily enough, the only team Denmark show marked improvement on attack was against Portugal, but their attack obviously wasn't enough.

So it is how the cards fell and Portugal couldn't help who they faced, but they weren't terribly impressive against the Czech Republic. I didn't say they were lucky to be there, I said they were lucky to have such an opponent for the quarterfinals. And yeah, you have to have luck in the match-ups to have a shot at winning.

Another thing unrelated though - expanding the tournament to 24 teams next year seems like such an awful idea to me. Yes it will be more to watch, but having another schizophrenic group like A where they all beat the snot out of each other, or having the potential for there no longer being any tough groups in the competition...ugh. And you can't compare it to the World Cup, there are teams who get in who are outclass by some of the UEFA teams that get left out yes. But you also have a multitude of strong teams from South America, as well as Mexico and even the US at times. I think the larger format of the WC balances things like that out. Adding more teams to the Euro...not the same.

jorped
June 22, 2012, 05:45 AM
Holland was definitely a disappointment but, it also happened because everyone studied them well. They have a terrible defense .. and also players like Van Persie, Huntellar ... weren't on the level they already showed to us before ... still it was merit of Portugal, Germany and Denmark.
We definitely weren't impressive, but we had a lot opportunities against a team that since the beginning of the game, showed what were their intentions to the game .. which was to manage to not suffer a goal and possibly on a counter attack score. It will be the same strategy Greece will probably have against Germany.
But so far i think that our games have been kinda interesting and our performances have been quite good, specially compared to other teams, so saying we weren't terrible impressing, though being the truth, would be the same as saying has almost no one really was until now.

If we look to Spain, they only made a good game, which was against, much likely, the weakest team that made to the final stage of the Euro ... the other games they were rather normal and nothing exciting at all ... against Croatia ,they even had to have the help of the referee to get to next phase, that doesn't see 1 penalty .. people say it was 2, but as i didn't see it i can't talk about it ... but the one i saw was clearly a penalty, with (Busquet i think) clearly doing fault..
Can't wait for their game against France ... right now i am not 100% confident we will get to the finals but we can clearly beat both Spain or France ... i think we just have to keep playing like a team, like we have been.

xi0
June 22, 2012, 06:41 AM
You can't possibly suggest that people studying Holland figured them out and exploited it to such an extent? How about their team just performed poorly? If one could so easily figure out a perennial powerhouse, why hasn't anyone done the same for Germany or Spain? Why weren't they sent home early with no points?

I never said anything about Portugal's entertainment value. I've enjoyed watching them, they have many good players. Saying Portugal hasn't been terribly impressive is not the same as saying it about any other team. Germany has outclassed everyone they played. Yes, Portugal played them tough and could have won, but they didn't...

How has Spain only had one good game? This has always been Spain's M.O. Possess the ball until the opposing team cracks. How many matches did Spain play in WC 2010 where they outscored the opponent by more than one goal?...One. Only one, and they never scored more than twice a match in the entire competition. Now whether Portugal can beat either Spain or France, who knows? That's the beauty of the knockout round, someone will have to win. I'm not sure if they can beat Spain at their own game, which is how Portugal beat Czech Republic in my opinion. France? Sure they could, their team looks schizoid to me.

jorped
June 22, 2012, 07:38 AM
You can't possibly suggest that people studying Holland figured them out and exploited it to such an extent? How about their team just performed poorly? If one could so easily figure out a perennial powerhouse, why hasn't anyone done the same for Germany or Spain? Why weren't they sent home early with no points?

Of course not ... but Holland had internal issues from the start, and since the beginning it was obvious they had a terrible defense. At least here in Portugal, it was the general opinion about them. The most important thing would be to stop their attack cuz if that happened, we were almost sure that sooner or later we would score ... and we all know based on the news that the environment around Holland wasn't the best. Basically a place full of stars .. everyone trying to reach the spotlight instead of thinking as a team, and everything became worse for them after lossing against Denmark.... we can't possibly compare them to both Germany and Spain ... because their structure is much stronger. Spain is basically, Barcelona and Real Madrid players ... Germany is Bayern and Dortmund ... which means that a lot of the players from Germany for example played and trained with most of the other players of their national team, during the last year or even more. This kinda of structure is much harder to beat. For example back in Euro 2004, Portugal who reached the final, by winning a group, with Russia, Spain and Greece .. eliminating England and Holland, was made by most of the players that at that same year won the champions league with my team, FC Porto. Ricardo Carvalho, Nuno Valente, Paulo Ferreira, Deco, Maniche, Costinha ...

I never said anything about Portugal's entertainment value. I've enjoyed watching them, they have many good players. Saying Portugal hasn't been terribly impressive is not the same as saying it about any other team. Germany has outclassed everyone they played. Yes, Portugal played them tough and could have won, but they didn't...

How has Spain only had one good game? This has always been Spain's M.O. Possess the ball until the opposing team cracks. How many matches did Spain play in WC 2010 where they outscored the opponent by more than one goal?...One. Only one, and they never scored more than twice a match in the entire competition.
Now whether Portugal can beat either Spain or France, who knows? That's the beauty of the knockout round, someone will have to win. I'm not sure if they can beat Spain at their own game, which is how Portugal beat Czech Republic in my opinion. France? Sure they could, their team looks schizoid to me.

The problem isn't that Spain only scored one goal. That doesn't say anything .. but their game ended being really poor ... i mean they still controlled the ball .. but didn't manage to do anything "productive" with it. That happened manly because Croatia defended really well ... but still it was a poor exhibition of Spain. Croatia also had the best chances ... Against Italy it was their first game of the group ... and not losing was more important than winning but still, once again they weren't really that good.

I also think it might be harder for us if it is Spain on the semi finals ... but after they win the WC, we already faced them and humiliated them. Sure it was a friendly match but still .... my point is that anything is possible ... but you can't possibly compare that future hypothetical game with the one that happened yesterday.
First because if such a game happens i expect Portugal to send at least 1 time the ball to Casilla's goal something that Czech didn't yesterday, i think.

goldb
June 22, 2012, 08:42 AM
The thing I find with Spain is that people have come to expect them to play at such as level similar to the styles that Barcelona have and they've maintain what I think is a higher level of results and dominance that it is noticeable when they don't particularly woo the crowd and fans. But this is real football and not a video game, the opponents come in all different tactics and plans to stifle your play, being able to keep your composure and play mentality is one thing Spain does better than most teams imo. I'd love to see Spain spank every team and play their usual style of football ALL the time but that won't happen, in the end it all just comes down to results and 9/10 times Spain, as well as Germany KNOW how to get the job done. :arf

I think if Portugal meet Spain in the semis, it'll be a good game. IMO Portugal would try and play Spain at their own game and that be interesting to see how they go about that. But it's gonna take a very composed and focused approach to beat Spain.

xi0
June 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Agreed. If you look to the midfield for both of those teams...well if it only came down to that, the result would be known 9/10 times IMO.

jorped
June 22, 2012, 08:57 AM
The thing I find with Spain is that people have come to expect them to play at such as level similar to the styles that Barcelona have and they've maintain what I think is a higher level of results and dominance that it is noticeable when they don't particularly woo the crowd and fans. But this is real football and not a video game, the opponents come in all different tactics and plans to stifle your play, being able to keep your composure and play mentality is one thing Spain does better than most teams imo. I'd love to see Spain spank every team and play their usual style of football ALL the time but that won't happen, in the end it all just comes down to results and 9/10 times Spain, as well as Germany KNOW how to get the job done. :arf

I think if Portugal meet Spain in the semis, it'll be a good game. IMO Portugal would try and play Spain at their own game and that be interesting to see how they go about that. But it's gonna take a very composed and focused approach to beat Spain.

No need to say anything, about a team that has on the bench players like Mata, Fabregas .... it will be certainly difficult. But so far our defense and midfield has been really good, and Pepe and Bruno Alves have been appointed possibly as the best central double of the Euro so far .... but Spain has not only Iniesta but also Xavi and David Silva. David Silva has been imo the best of Spain so far ... Portugal can definitely win, but for that too happen we can't miss as many chances has we have been on the last games, were we could have ended the game with an enlarged result but only won by 1 goal difference.

And if possible we should try to command the game ... letting Spain freely control the game as they want will prove to be as dangerous as it was back at 1/8th finals of the WC 2010, where they beat us by one goal.

BBB Banana
June 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
I think there were two over rated teams in the competiton and those were Spain, and Netherlands.

Three teams that deserve their status which are France, Italy and Germany.

And two team that are under rated which are England and Portugal.

IMO as bob said people think spain is Barça and they aren't specially because they lack messi and that's why they are over rated.
Spain is just a good team with a lot of talent but they also fail sometimes as against Croatia. If Croatia almost beat them then any team in this phase can do so.

FrostyMouse
June 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
It's not like Holland's result this year is out of place though. In the past, Holland was often about style over substance and while supremely talented, they often failed spectacularly. You need to grind out wins at times, and they just couldn't do it this year, just like some years in the past with prior teams.

BBB Banana
June 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
Yeah they are bound to be the eternal 2nd Place :lmao

Jorge D. Dragon
June 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
I believe Germany should win today as the only thing Greece can show is to defend with 11 people and wait for some chance during corners. They might also try to simulate some injuries to get some germans out of the game as it is quite typical for Greece as it was during last 8-10 years.
For now Germany seems to have an upper hand, but they aren't lucky as the goal they've scored was deemed being scored from offside, but I don't think so as Schürle was in the right position.
Hope to see at least two goals in this game.:)

Bugzee
June 22, 2012, 02:51 PM
11 man defence line atm :XD against Germany. Would love to see the Greeks score a late goal! Come on penalties!!!!!!! :arf

Jorge D. Dragon
June 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
Don't know how, but Greece managed to score a goal. Totally out of place, but then Khedira and Klose has shown who's the boss.:)

Kurohitsugi
June 22, 2012, 04:02 PM
Six goals in a Greek match :P

Well done Greece for reaching the quarters! See you in the WC 2014. I wanna see Germany vs England now.

Bugzee
June 22, 2012, 04:49 PM
The Turks beat the Greeks. :derp

Jorge D. Dragon
June 23, 2012, 10:13 AM
I think Greece is the luckiest team ever as practically without any performance the've managed to score first goal out of nothing and then managed to get a penalty out of nothing (as I've never seen such penalties to be given to any team with the exeption of Barcelona), while Germany played significantly better and could have scored way more goals, but just didn't have as much luck as Greece...
Well, today we are going to get one of the best battles in this tournament - France against Spain.:) Both teams seem to have some problems. Especially in attack department, but still they might give us a great performance and I don't know who can win as in such games any team have a chance even though Spain has better average class of its players, while France has younger players, thus they can outrun Spain, so it won't be an easy game for Spain at least.:)

FrostyMouse
June 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
I've been rather disappointed with France's effort tonight.

Xabi Alonso converts the penalty to end it.

ibra87
June 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hey goldb, I'mma apologize in advance for tomorrow evening. There is no shame in losing to Mario Brothers (Gianluigi & mario) :3c.

Bugzee
June 23, 2012, 07:44 PM
France were poor. They had a few great chances to come back but the end play was terrible. Poor passes or mis-timed challenges. Cabaye is a really good free kick taker. He had a great effort on goal but it wasn't meant to be. xD

Portugal have their work cut out for them. It'll definitely be a great semi-final to look forward to but Spain are literally humiliating each opponent they face. No striker/forward in the starting line up shouldn't be questioned if you have a fricking awesome crop of attacking and technical group of midfielders at your disposal and what I love about Del Bosque is that he plays Torres sometime in the second half (usually)...nail in the coffin so to speak. Just when you've had enough running around in circles trying to chase the ball away from xavi, inesta, fabregas and the likes....you have Torres/pedro or another player to fricking deal with as a sub. :lmao

Jorge D. Dragon
June 24, 2012, 06:29 AM
Don't really think that Spain was actually that better than France. Especially as the first goal was actually not due to some good play from Spain, but mostly due to an awfully error on Clishi's and Lloris's part. And penalty... well, it was an obvious penalty, but still we've seen several matches, where referee didn't give obvious penalties, so actually France was a bit weaker, but still my point states - Spain doesn't show to be strong and splendid as many footbal specialists claim. They are obviously better than other teams, but not as splendid as Barcelona last year and a year before.:)
Also we should take in account that France has internal problems and several players practically fought each other after the previous match, so it was obvious that they can't oppose Spain in such a condition and still France did have several great chances.

About today's match... Well, I believe England looks a bit better, especially when they've got Rooney back after disqualification. So today's match might be really the most interesting in quaterfinals.:) Hope both teams give us a good performance. I wouldn't even be against extra time, but I would like to see at least two goals.:)

goldb
June 24, 2012, 09:20 AM
The way France played, Spain didn't HAVE to be any better than they were. So far Spain have done just enough to get results, noone has REALLY pushed them except maybe Italy where you wondered where the goal would come from. I think for Spain to play a great game, they need to be pushed and France weren't doing that at all or consistently enough. Second half of that game seemed closer but that was because I felt Spain were lacking and became a tad complacent, rather than France having excelled.

@Ibra: I really think England can win tonight, but we'll see :hee

Jorge D. Dragon
June 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
The thing is that during all the qualification and all the tournament I've never actually seen Champion's game from Spain. They really lack performance more than playing just that much to get victories because they aren't pushed enough.:)
Maybe it just depends on our point of view.:)

FrostyMouse
June 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
Di Natale's been one of the most impressive strikers in this tournament so far, and Cassano and Super Mario have helped as well. I don't know. The match could swing either way. Rooney doesn't look completely match fit, but as we saw in the match against Ukraine, all it takes is being in the right place at the right time, not match fitness to score a goal. I mean, it was a header from like one foot out, but someone had to be there, I guess. There haven't been enough goals from England's front men for me to be comfortable.

I honestly see a 1-1 draw going to penalties, and I'm torn on that. If Lampard was here (although he missed one against Portugal), I'd be more in favor of England on penalties, but I think Italy's a little more solid in that department right now. I would say England's kickers would be Rooney, Welbeck (assuming he's made it on), Gerrard, Cole, and then someone else, maybe Scott Parker. Even though Buffon's old, I trust him in shootouts more than the untested Joe Hart.

The match is there for the taking for either team, however.

Miyagi
June 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
Italy vs England is one of those matches with no favorites. They weren't entirely impressive in group phase but they were good enough to get the necessary scores. I guess tonight will be no different and we'll see a hard-fought match. I think this may be first match that will be decided by penalties. If I had to pick a team, I would choose Italy though. Their defense seems more reliable to me and even though England probably has more talented players, Italy has better teamwork.

BBB Banana
June 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
Pathetic game by france yesterday and quite lacking game by spain. And don't give me excuses like "France didn't push them" when you are in a game that's either win or go home you won't rest until there's at least a 2goal difference specialy against a traditional team like france and france was playing badly enough so that a 2010wc spain could shove them at least 3goals down their throats.
Spain has been below 2010 since the beginning only those who don't want to can't see it.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
For now I would say that England against Italy seems as the best game so far.:) Both teams are attacking and have interesting moments.:) And for now both italians and british guys look interesting.:) Hope they will show us some interesting performance.;) I'm still ok with extra time, even though I'll have to get up at 6 a.m)))

ibra87
June 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
Wow, minute 90, 0-0 and Italian coach DIDN'T PUT DI NATALE AND INSTEAD SUBBED IN MAGGIO!? Amazing how Balotelli yelling can garauntee him a place in the team.

Hopefully the extra halves will be better, but I have a feeling it'll go to the penalties. And let me just say how Happy I am Rooney has come back to England.

FrostyMouse
June 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
This has been the most boring game of the Euros, and at the same time, the only match which has gone to extra time, and almost certainly penalties.

Just a narrow miss for the offsides there, but why is Di Natale not playing?

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Penalties are upon us. Will the luck of Chelsea bleed over into the English squad, or will Italy be the sacrificial offering to Germany?

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Poor miss by Montilevo, and then Rooney gets the advantage goal.

Pirlo makes a beautiful penalty.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Italy wins it. They completely deserved it.