PDA

View Full Version : Recipes Recipes Thread

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
January 24, 2007, 06:54 PM
I know there are lots and lots of members here that loves to eat and even cook. So, why not post your favourite recipe(s) and let others know how do you like your favourite food to be prepared. Maybe you'll find other variation of your favourite dish that you might like. Or post a recipe for a food that brings back memories.

Here's how you can post your recipe(s):

Name of Dish: Place here what your recipe will make (i.e.: Fruit Cake, T-Bone Steak, Caesar Salad, etc.)
Category: Place Here type of Dish (i.e.: Soup, Dessert, Cake, Salad, Main Course, Snack, Drinks, etc.)
Style: Place here recipe origins (i.e.: Italian, French, Thai, Chinese, Klingon, Nth Dimension, etc.)
Servings: Mention how many servings will your recipe made (i.e.: 2-3 servings, 4-6 servings, the whole world, etc.)

Description: Tell us what your recipe is all about? Why is this your favourite food? Where do you learn to make it? Who taught you? What's does it taste like? When is it best to serve this recipe? Who shouldn't be eating it (i.e.: people with allergies, high blood pressure, heart condition, etc.)? Just tell us what you think about your favourite dish. :D

Ingredients: Place here all the goodies that goes into your recipe (i.e.: 5 eggs, 200 grams of flour, 1 kg of freshly chopped garlic, 3 eyes of newt, 2 dead bats, etc.)

Direction: Place here how to prepare your food/drinks (i.e.: Pour the entire contents into the pan and bake in the oven with 200 degrees for 20 minutes, Add onions and chilli to the frying pan and stir lightly with medium fire, If all fails, call for takeout, etc.)

Pictures: Did you just make something and wants to show everyone what it looks like? Post the recipe's and take a picture and place it here. Don't forget to put spoiler tag if you post large picture.

So, Cook/Bake/Mix away! :D

Thanks

LadyHatake
January 24, 2007, 07:09 PM
yay~! I love baking ^^

I actually posted this recipe awhile back, in my ask me thread, I believe. Posting it here will get more attention, though ^^

Category: Dessert
Style: meh. Old family recipe
Servings: however many you want =D

It's a norweigen caramel cake (not really caramel though >.>) It's sweet and DELICIOUS! Especially when eaten warm <3 it's fairly simple to make, but it gets eaten really fast ;)

Norweigan Caramel Almond Cake

Cake:
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk

In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. with mixer, in a seperate bowl beat eggs untill they are foamy, beat in sugar gradually, and beat the mixture until it is thick and pale. Beat in the butter, vanilla and milk, add the flour mixture from earlier, and beat the batter until it is just combined. Pour batter into a tube pan coated with cooking spray and bake the cake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees farenheit for 35-40 minutes. let the cake cool completely in the pan, then, flip the pan onto a plate and remove.

Topping:

1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into bits
2/3 cup of sugar
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted

In a skillet, combine the cream and sugar, cook over moderate heat stirring, until the sugar is dissolved and stir in the butter. bring to a boil, stirring it occaisonally, until it is slightly thickened, then add the almonds.

Put the cake on a baking sheet, spoon the topping over it, put the cake in the oven for a minute or two, or until the almonds are golden. Then let cool a bit and eat!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/WolfwoodsScarf/houseandcake033.jpg

I made that cake a few months ago. SOooooooo good <3 Especially when warm :3

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
January 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
Whoaa! That cake looks yummy, LH! :drool

Name: Tom Yam
Category: Soup
Style: Thai
Servings: 2-3

Description:
I love seafood and spicy food. So what's better than putting all kinds of seafood into a big pot with fish stock and adding lots of spice in it? Be careful, it's a bit hot.

Ingredients:
* 40 gr mid-size prawns
* 200 gr squid cut in circles
* 150 gr square cut red snapper fillet
* 200 gr mussel, don't forget to wash them
* 75 gr mushroom, cut in halves
* 3 lemongrass, pounded
* 7 lime leaves
* 5 tbs fish sauce
* 5-10 red chilli or more, if you dare
* 1 tbs coriander leave finely chopped
* 2 tbs cooking oil
* 2 1/2 tbs salt
* 1 1/2 sugar
* 1500 ml seafood stock
* 5 tbs lime juice

Dont forget to blend these seasoning :
* 4 red chilli
* 3 cloves garlic
* 3 candlenut
* 1 tsp dried shrimp paste

Directions:
* Boil the seafood stock with lemongrass, lime leaves, prawns, squid, the snapper fillet, mussel, mushroom, salt, sugar on a small fire and leave until you can the flavour comes out.
* Stir fry the blended seasonings with the cooking oil until u can smell the flavour, add fish sauce then stir for a while and mix them in to the seafood stock for 15 mins or so.
* Before it's done, add coriander leave, red chilli and lime juice.
* Serve it hot and dont forget to send me... all of it! Mwahahahahahaha!

Picture:I never took any picture of my cookings since it's usually gets eaten after i make it. So here's one from the net

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5331/tom20yam20khung0xq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Is that tom yang goong (or whatever you spell it)? :nuts ~ Ayah

Yes it is, Ayah. :D -- Ichi

Goji
January 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
YaY, a cooking thread! ^^
What a great initiative!
I love cooking... now I just need to find a good recipe to post here...

*walks away trying to find a decent recipe*

ps: I'm getting hungry when I look at this thread, especially when I look at LadyH.'s delicious cake..... *drool* :p

*I'm back!*
Found a great one:

Name : Chocolate Mousse
Category : Dessert
Style : Belgian (I’m from the land of chocolate XD )
Servings: 4 to 6

Description:
I know lots of chocolate dishes and because I’m from Belgium I thought I may want to make something with chocolate. My mother can also make some heavenly chocolate mousse, so that’s maybe why I chose this one. ^^

Ingredients:
6 ounces (175 grams) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy whipping cream
4 to 5 large eggs
1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar (or 2 packages of vanilla suger, if you like that one better)
1/4 cup (60 ml) water

Garnish:
Fresh Raspberries
Shaved Chocolate

Directions :

* Melt the chocolate with the water “au bain marie”° or on a very tender heating source.
°”au bain marie” is a cooking term; you take a large cooking pot in which a smaller cooking pot can hang, fill the large one with water and the small one with the chocolate and the 60 ml of water. Now let the water in the big one come to the boil, that way the chocolate in the small one will melt without burning. Remember to keep stirring the chocolate!

* Whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar until well combined, then add the molten chocolate.

* Whip the whipping cream until it starts to look like whipped cream :eyeroll .

* Gently add the whipped cream to the sugar-yolk-chocolate-mixture.

* Then whip/ beat the egg whites to a snowy-foam and finally add also this with the other mixture.

* Once everything is mixed you have to stop mixing!!! Only mix as much as necessary, ‘cause “over-mixing” may cause the “mousse” to fail! (There has to be enough air in the mixture.)

* Finally you may pour the yummy chocolate mousse in their pre-destined bowls.

* Put them for at least one hour in the refrigerator before serving.

* Right before serving you can add the chocolate shavings and a raspberry if you like.

Now you’re totally done! Enjoy!!!

Picture:

I don't have one at the moment but I think we all know what to think when we hear the word chocolate mousse. :amuse

LadyHatake
January 30, 2007, 06:05 PM
mmm, these recipes sound yummy :3

Here's another of my favorites:

Name of Dish: Modified Chicken Salad
Category: Main course
Style: American? XD I dunno
Servings: 6 or 7, about.

Description: This is a recipe for chicken that can be used as a sammich filling or on crackers. My mom taught me how to make it, since I don't like traditional chicken salad.

Ingredients:

1 can of shredded chicken (delicious <3)
slivered almonds
soy sauce
teriyaki sauce
bacon bits
mayonnaise

Direction: dump chicken into bowl, and use forks to pull apart chicken so it's shredded. Add about 3 or 4 large spoonfuls of mayonnaise (more if you prefer) and mix with fork until mixed. add bacon bits and almonds, mix. Add a teaspoon of teriyaki sauce and a teaspoon of soy sauce (again, more if you prefer). Spread on bread or crackers and enjoy <3

Pictures: none =( maybe later <3

rabb
January 31, 2007, 01:50 AM
and here i thought i was the only guy that cooked ^^; im glad there are other guys posting in here.

Name of Dish: Chocolate Drope Cookies
Category: Dessert
Style: well as far as i know cookies came from england :s but i have no idea where this recipe came from. its ban passed down four generations in my family, getting changed a little bit every year.
Servings: ~ 3 dozen (36)

Description: these are somthing my family associates largly with christmas, its the only time we make them. i learned this version of the recipe from my mom, who got it from her mom, from her mom. only two of my sisters cook them (out of 7 siblings). its kinda spicy, but not that bad. and as far as i know it isnt bad for anyone ^^; they're best with frosting, but i dont know the recipe for the kind my mom makes (i have to bug her for it next year)

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup brown sugar (240 ml)
1 tsp. vanilla (4.9 ml)
1/2 cup butter (120 ml)
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (56 grams, i think :s)
1/2 cup milk (120 ml)
1 1/2 cups flour (360 ml)
1 tsp. salt (4.9 ml)
2 tsp. cinnamon (9.8 ml)
1 tsp. nutmeg (4.9 ml)
1/2 tsp. cloves (2.5 ml)
a big mixing bowl

Direction: melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so. make sure its entirly melted. beat the egg & brown sugar until light, then add vanilla, then add to the butter/chocolate. Add the dry ingredients and milk one at a time while stirring. i strongly suggest adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time, and waiting until it is completly blended before adding more. this says use a greased cookiesheet, but i remember ever remember greasing it :s but maybe you should just to be careful. well anyways, drop then onto the cookiesheet. curl up your index finger, and look down at it. it should be about that big. change as you feel fit. bake @ 350 degress Fahrenheit (~177 degrees Celcius) for 8-10 mins)

i dont have any pictures, nor can i find any, but they should look similar to this. not as tall, though
http://www.craftygal.com/images/cg1200/frp11200.jpg

Goji
January 31, 2007, 05:17 AM
Hmmm these things look very yummy indeed! <333 Now I want to eat chocolate cookies... lol
I also got to try the modified chicken salad sometime. :amuse

But what I really wanted to say is that I am happily surprised that out of four ppl that have posted here, three of them have been males! hehe
I think we have a lot of kitchen prince-gentlemen around here. XD

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
March 08, 2007, 07:35 AM
Wow, that looks delicious. Must be salty and spicy, just how i like it. :D

Paper
March 08, 2007, 08:59 AM
^well it's not exactly spicy since the province that it originated from isn't really big on spicey food... i guess you could make it spicey if wanna...

bax
March 09, 2007, 02:14 AM
Eeermm.. a quick one. How about some desserts :D

Zucchini Pie
Servings for 4. Try it. This stuff is great :amuse

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups zucchini - peeled, seeded and sliced
* 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, diced
* 1/2 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

HOW TO

[@]Boil zucchini until tender. Drain and let stand in cold water for about 5 minutes, then drain.
[@]Add sugar, flour, cinnamon, cream of tartar, lemon juice, salt, and nutmeg. Mix well. Put into the pie crust. Dot with butter. Put top crust on.
[@]3. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes.

Paper
March 10, 2007, 05:14 AM
^it sounds a bit odd (zucchini's never struck me as a dessert)...but hey! anything worth posting is most probobly worth trying! i'll rep once i've tried it :D thanks

Azurel
March 15, 2007, 08:31 AM
Japan #2 (From Yakitate!! Japan)

Ingredients
350g of bread flour
21g of butter
21g of sugar
35ml of milk
180ml of water
5g of dry yeast
6.5g of salt

How to make Japan #2?
1. First add flour, sugar, salt, yeast dissolved in water, water and milk to rice cooker pot.
2. Mix it well and knead the ingredients
3. Then, add butter
4. Knead it some more until it no longer feels sticky
5. Leave it in a warm place for 1 hour to allow it to rise
6. Get rid of the extra gas
7. Place in the rice cooker for 1 hour
8. After 1 hour, turn it over and cook it again
9. After that, turn it over and cook it once again :amuse

And there you have it fluffy rice cooker bread! :smile-big

Paper
April 30, 2007, 09:05 AM
@bax- i tired out that zucchini pie....it was good, but the fact that it's made out of a vegetable still bugs me....not bad though....:XD

Lohnt
November 02, 2007, 06:41 PM
I want to post pictures, but I don't have a working digital camera atm.

Dish: Tsatsiki - Delicious yogurt sauce, goes great with grilled meat, and fish, and on bread etc Name of Place here what your recipe will make (i.e.: Fruit Cake, T-Bone Steak, Caesar Salad, etc.)
Category: Place Here type of Dish (i.e.: Soup, Dessert, Cake, Salad, Main Course, Snack, Drinks, etc.)
Style: Greek
Servings: Uhh.. depends on how much you make/eat, 2-5 typically.
(Easy)

- 1 container of Goat milk yogurt (cow is fine, but goat is preferable)
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 Cloves of Garlic

Shred the cucumber using a cheese grater, don't use a mixer, it tastes better when it's grated, and the juice seperates; shred the garlic as well. Traditionally, you're supposed to discard the cucumber juice, and only use the pieces, but I like to mix in the juice first, and then the cucumber and garlic, that way the sauce gets extra kick (spice taste). Serve with pretty much anything.

Smoked Salmon Pizza (Medium - meh)
Category - Lunch/Dinner
Type - mediterranean (Do salmon even swim in that sea though?)
Servings - 1 (hungry) - 3

- Pizza Dough (homemade) I followed this recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_26713,00.html)
- Tomato Sauce (also homemade)
- Pizza toppings of your choice (I used mixed peppers, some red, yellows and mushrooms
- Cream Cheese
- Smoked Salmon
- Parmesan cheese

Once the Dough was ready (took a couple of hours), I made a tomato sauce from some mushroom spaghetti (Ragu) tomato sauce. I added a little red wine, basil, paprika, water, oil and cooked for 5 minutes until it thickened a bit.

I spread the dough by hand, and I've never worked at a pizza place so I don't know how to make it New York thin, so it was a little thick (I like it bready anyway), I cooked the dough for about 30 minutes first (because if I put the topings on first, and they cook, the dough's inside remains uncooked and yucky, trial and error taught me this), the dough shouldn't get dark, just a little light light brown at 400F (200C). I took out the semi-cooked dough, and I added the tomato sauce, mushrooms and peppers, cooked that for 15 minutes? And then took it out again, and added the smoked salmon (ripped apart by hand), and cream cheese (left chunky), with some parm for about 10 more minutes, until the cheese got a little dark (see picture).

Now I'm not sure what I did (this was 3 years ago), but the salmon didn't get grey as it cooked. I've made smoked salmon pizza/pasta before and the salmon cooked and got grey, but this time it didn't, so I'm not sure how I pulled that off. Anyway, if you've made homemade pizza before you can adjust the times and temprature based on your own experience, final result is awesome, I've actually finished the pie by myself (twice X_x), most of the time, it serves 3, 2-3 slices each.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/refii/pizzaaaa.jpg

Lenten Pita (pie) of the Sea - Orthodox Christians fast from meat and dairies before easter, and I had to come up with a seafood pie for.. something my sister asked for. But, I have to be honest, everyone liked it, and it was really really good. (Ridiculously Overcomplicated? You bet! HARD)
Style - If you watch too much Food Network, and you're stressed because it's holiday season, and you have 2-3 recipes you've been playing around with, and your sister suddenly calls you up and asks you to prepare something, meanwhile you can't use HALF your kitchen because you're fasting... and its 4am because you were on the phone with your girlfriend all day, that's the style.
Category - Dinner
Servings - 5-6

Shrimp Soup (stock)

1 cup water

A dozen shrimp, 3-4 handfuls cut into two

2 Chopped scallions

4 Chopped baby carrots

A little Soy Sauce for color + taste

dill stock (knorr thing)

A dash of soymilk for taste/thickening/color

Oregano or other green spice of choice (Basil? Mint?)

Salt (surprisingly a little is ok) and Pepper

Boil water, add knorr stock of choice. Add carrots and scallions, once the water starts boiling again, add soy sauce and soymilk until you get a bit of color (don’t overdo it). Add Shrimp and boil until the color blends into a brownish tan color. It won’t be black, and it won’t be clear, it’ll turn into a French soupy color.

Drain Soup stock into a separate container, leave the other ingredients in the pot.

Stir Fry (oil and spice instead of buying a store flavor, that may be non-lenten)

Margarine (judge how much after you start frying, start with half a stick)

Minced Garlic (2-4)

1-2 Shallots

Half a dozen sliced Mushrooms

¼ or ½ (forgot how much it was, it was half of what the package comes in) Chopped up Crab-meat (mine was pre-chopped and super expensive) *Note, NOT immitation, real crab meat.

Some shrimp cut into two

A dozen Scallops

Sesame seeds (lots)

Salt/Pepper

Add margarine, toss in garlic, shallots and mushrooms. Add desireable salt/pepper onto chopped Crabmeat and Scallops, and then put them into the stir fry. Add a dash of soy sauce if you want, and place in the shrimp. Season with lots of sesame seeds, and if you did not use Soy sauce, more salt/pepper.

Filling

1 pkg silken(?) tofu

3-4 tblsp Oil (stir fry)

½ tbl soy sauce (if not in stir fry, check label)

2 tbl stock (from previously made soup soup)

½ a lemon’s juice (maybe whole, depends on final consistency)

*Dry Mashed potato flakes

*(Not essential or 100% necessary if you can’t use them, but I did and I liked the bit of potato flavor, they're a thickening agent.)

Put Tofu in a large bowl, add the lemon juice and mix/stir with a fork. Add in oil/soy, and stock. Mix well until it has once consistency. If it’s too loose, add some flour (use your better judgement), if it’s too firm add more lemon juice and if necessary some more soup stock.

Now, put a little less than half of the mix in the soup (dry ingredients) and mix with a spoon. If there isn’t enough, add a little of the stock until it gets a pie filling, pre-cooked) consistency.

Add the rest of the mixture into the stir-fry and mix with a spoon, add some soy milk if the mixture is not thick enough and add potato flakes, do some chemistry until you get the pie-filling consistency which is a little tighter than the soup consistency

Pie (finally)

Phillo dough thick

Phillo dough thin

Oil

Soy Milk

Sesame seeds

Oregano (or other green spice of choice)

Breadcrumbs

Preaheat 350

Get two small bowls, put a little oil in one, a little soymilk in the other. Start spreading 4 sheets of thick dough on the bottom of the pan, add one sheet of thin if necessary/want to. Brush some soymilk onto the top layer

Pour the stir fry mix into the pie and spread, cover it with half the philla’s corners. Add 2 thin sheets on top, and then one thick one, add 2 more thin sheets on top. Brush some soy milk onto top layer.

Pour in soup mix and spread it. Add a sheet of thin philo on top and brush with soy milk. Place another thin sheet on top carefully and continue adding 3-5 more sheets the regular way (with oil).

On the last (top) sheet brush with soymilk and pour breadcrumbs and oregano on top. If you want you can add a loose top layer, brush it with soy milk and pour sesame seeds on it.

Put into oven for 350 until it gets a good color, and when you put a knife in it, it comes out dry. Something around 45 min maybe?

You can enjoy/drink the rest of the soup stock, or save it for more soup/something else or toss it out.

I also make a REALLY really good burger... but I can't share the recipe, because.. I'm silly like that and burger recipes are meant to be kept secret, lest some jerk steal them and opens up a burger place. http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/refii/meanburger.jpg

Some 3 year old pictures of things I had made, when my dig camera DID work =/
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/refii/paella.jpghttp://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/refii/macnlamb.jpg

PaperYomiko
November 02, 2007, 06:56 PM
ohmygoodness!!!!!!!! I LOVE tsatsiki!!!!! never knew how to make it though :XD

That lenten pita sounds really yummy too, but it would probably be a disaster if I tried making it. Thanks for sharing, refii!! :thumbs

I love how so many guys here know how to cook :love

Lohnt
November 02, 2007, 09:40 PM
Yea it's surprisingly really simple ^^

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
November 03, 2007, 02:35 AM
Thanks for posting that, refii! :D
Now, if you feel like sharing that burger recipe with me by PM, then i wont mind at all. :D
And don't worry, i worked in a burger store, so i wont be opening any burger chain with your recipe. Or maybe i would. :D

Lohnt
November 03, 2007, 06:55 AM
I think it's like Sanji says though, the fresher and better the ingredients you start with, the better the result.
Which is also a shame, because when you have really great starting ingredients, it's better to eat them raw/fresh in a salad or at least not cooked (vegetables/fruit, not meat =p)

Oh, I also tried those fruit skewers he made in Skypeia (minus rat, snake and other vermin meat). I used scallops and shrimp, orange and lemon slices. It was good, I topped it with some juice from the lemon and orange and some pepper(love pepper)

If you ever get the chance, try fried plantains with salsa and melted cheese by the way, it's really good and surprisingly simple latin dish.

kaylee
November 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
The Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Ever

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

METHOD

Cream together butter, shortening, and sugar in a bowl until fluffy.
Add eggs and beat until mixture is light in color.
Add buttermilk and vanilla.
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice; stir into creamed mixture.
Fold in oatmeal, raisins, and walnuts, blending well.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes @ 350 degrees F.
Drizzle with Brown Butter Icing.

Brown Butter Icing

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup butter
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 tablespoons water

METHOD

In a small saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 3 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Stir in enough water (3 to 4 tablespoons) to make an icing of drizzling consistency.
Drizzle on warm cookies.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
November 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for posting that one, kaylee. :D

I'm gonna stay at home this weekend since i got nothing on my non-existing agenda. Maybe i'll make something and post it here. :D

LadyHatake
November 13, 2007, 02:27 PM
yum *drools* Thanks for that, Kaylee, I'll have to try it. without the raisins, though >.>

My mom's been making this super holy crap good chocolate cake lately. I probably need to find the recipe and post it >.> it'd be a sin not to D=

kawaii
March 26, 2009, 11:19 PM
My friends are having a barbecue tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone had some great cooking techniques. Right now all I have is hamburger patties but I can buy steak if you have a good recipe for it.

Also in your country do you have barbecues?

Paper
March 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
I think every country's got it's own Barbecue recipies, just got to look in the right places.

Here's my personal pork BBQ recipe:

1 1/2kg sliced pork belly (You need a nice ratio of meat to fat)
1 cup Pineapple juice
1 cup dark soy sauce
3 tbsp crushed black pepper
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
1/4 cup sesame oil
Chili powder to taste (optional)

Just mix everything up and let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours (air tight container! don't get anything cross contaminated!) and another 10 mins before cooking. Use the excess liquids for basting.

You can add some papaya into the mix if you want to make sure that the meat is tender, just make sure that you reduce the resting period by a few hours and that you don't put in too much papaya (it may affect the flavor).

kawaii
March 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
wow! my mouth is watering right now (~_~)
I am making that this weekend. I never really thought about pineapple juice, I guess that would make it sweeter

Paper
March 29, 2009, 10:29 PM
Softer too, the acids are supposed to help in tenderizing, oh and the sugar helps make those nice grill marks when it caramelizes.

Here's another one, though I'm not sure if our fish sauce is available over there..

BBQ chicken:
1 1/2 kg chicken legs
1/2 cup cane vinegar
1/2 cup "Patis" (Philippine fish sauce)
1 cup soy sauce (regular)
4 pcs Cayenne pepper
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil
4-5 large pcs Panama Oranges/ "Calamansi"
salt and pepper to taste

Same procedure as the earlier one.

kawaii
March 30, 2009, 05:08 AM
im sure its not too hard to get, okinawa is pretty close

Paper
March 30, 2009, 05:22 AM
Yeah, but Japanese fish sauce might be different... I've never really bothered to put them side by side and compare.

Matthew
March 30, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm not much of a manga person, but I do LOVE cooking!
--------------------------------------
If you're a University student, or just a regular person who wants to make something that is succulent, luscious, mouthwatering, or appetizing or what have you! Then this is your thread. :)

I unfortunately had to learn to cook the hard way. Yes, I don't have anyone to rely on or a "Mom" to rely on... (Since my parents are living in Winnipeg, and I'm living in Toronto for school) lol.
--------------------------------------------------
INTRO:
I play soccer for the varsity team, and at the end of the day my body needs a lot of healthy carbs, vegetables and protein to repair your muscles. (ESPECIALLY when you're a midfielder... the running is way too much. A lot more running than strikers and defense)

My main meal after intense soccer practices or games usually consist of a basic vinaigerette salad, Bolognaise Sauce with any preffered pasta(Very similar to Hamburger helper, but better testing, and NO MSG - that destroys your brain cells), and lastly a nice thin Diane steak.

Let's start with the salad:Classic Vinaigerette Salad
In a wooden-like salad bowl..
- Put 3 table spoon of olive oil.. extra virgin olive oil (very rich, and great in flavour)
-Dress 1 table of spoon of white wine vinegar
-Add salt and pepper
The main secret is mixing or whisking(using a whisk) the vinaigerette(all 4 ingredients) in the bowl. Mix it around 30 - 45 seconds, in this way it thickens the vinaigerette, therefore making it nice and creamy.

As for the salad. I usually use rocket-leaf salad instead of the traditional lettuce. But that works too!

Now put the salad in, and mix well.
To finish off the delicious salad, start grating a nice block of Parmesan cheese!

There you have it, a nice classic tasting vinaigerette salad.

----------------------

NEXT: BOLOGNAISE SAUCE
Making the Bolognaise meat sauce. Even at a low budget (yes students I'm talking to you), the average minced meat can be transformed to a delicious bologne sauce. Bologne sauce is the heart of the lasagna, but it can be used for any other pasta.

Shall we continue?
SEASONING & Vegetables
-Carrot and onion (A meat sauce for yourself. Good for two plates). You want to grate the onion and carrot. By grating the carrots and onions you help make it cook faster
-Make sure you have a nice hot pan in plan.
-add some olive oil
-Add the grated onions and carrots
-light season of salt and pepper

-Put two gloves of garlic in a garlic crusher. Crush and slice the garlic into the pan
-Then add dried Oregano
COOK FOR AROUND 2 minutes. We're not browning the vegetables here, just making it nice and moist.

-Now add the minced meat to the hottest part of the pan (the center of it), make sure its nice a moist, and start folding the vegetables and season onto the minced meat. Mix well for about a minute or two.

-Now create some space in the center of the pan and add some Tomato Puree, or Tomato Paste. Let the puree stay there for a while, and let it sweat (sweat as in let some of the water evaporate). By doing this you're getting rid of that bitter tar taste that most tomato puree have.

-Once that's done start mixing the puree with the rest of the ingredients.

-Add some red wine (not too much). Just follow your instincts. Perhaps two table spoon worth is good. This part is crucial as it adds an intense flavor to the Bologne sauce.

-Then add a bowl worth of chopped tomatoes. Mix well for a minute or two.

-Next, season the bologne with Worcestershire sauce. The worcestershire sauce adds some heat, spice, and importantly darkens the mince.

Now mix and cook for 5 or 6 minutes.

-Lastly, to give it a nice enriched flavour, add two table spoon of milk. It just gives a nice silk smooth finish. Mix well, and your sauce is ready.

For me, this takes around 10 - 12 minutes to make. (I usually have the boiled Pasta in place while making the sauce)

-----------------------------------
Steak Diane (Only when I'm still hungry)
Diane meat is cheaper than T-Bone meat, which is good for students with a low budget.
However, making excellent steak all depends on the way you make.

-First you want to trim that white fat in your steak. (I can't eat that stuff, not good if you're doing sports)
-The next secret is making it nice and thin. Traditionally there would be hammering, but in our case we want to get a nice rolling pin, and just roll the meat down and make it nice and thin. This way it tenderizes the meat without damaging (hammering)
-put salt and pepper on both sides. Swipe the meat with any excess salt and pepper.

-Now make sure you have a pot pan in place. Before you put in the steak, make sure the pan is hot. This is crucial.

-Place some olive oil on the pan.
-Place the meat on the pan
-Cook each side of the meat for 45 seconds.

Voila, You have your delicious Diane steak!

This takes roughly 4 minutes to make.

There you have it! You have a soccer man's meal. Rich in vegetables, MSG-free (Not those crap can-goods you buy), and healthy!

If you're a good cook. This whole meal should take 20- 30 minutes to make.

ENJOY!

p.s - For you men out there. Cooking is an attractive thing for women. I make something similar to this when I have dates or what not. ;)

I'll be posting some of my recipes later on.
All my cookings is inspired by Cheff Gordon Ramsay. The best cook alive.

-----------------------------

For those who have any recipes that you'd like to share. This is your thread!

Share some of your awesome recipes!!

kawaii
March 31, 2009, 05:05 AM
low budget food is awesome! I am going to make that sauce this weekend

Matthew
April 09, 2009, 07:58 AM
How did the meat sauce work out for you?

Forever_Melody
April 10, 2009, 10:29 AM
Not really much of a recipe, but since I just made some....

Mimi's Morning Muchies:
It's a very simple procedure that grants oh so yummy morning rolls ^_^

What you need(say for 1):
- pita bread
- egg(1 or 2 depending on how thick you like your omelettes)
- green onions(probably half of one should be more than enough)
- 1 or 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 slice of ham
- milk

So pretty simple, just crack open the eggs in a bowl and add milk to it(normally I just wing the amount, but just ad in a bit). The stir, the eggs until the yolk and the white become uniform with the milk. Add in the green onions, ham and anything else you'd like.

Start the frying pan and dump the whole mixture on it. Keep a close eye on it because it can fry fast. While doing that, dump the cheese slice on the pita bread(feel free to add more if you like cheese).

Once the omelette is done(i.e. once the back facing the pan is brownish), remove it and place it on the pita. The heat from the omelette should basically melt the cheese so you don't need to actually do anything lol. After that, roll it up, cut it in a few pieces(I normally do 3) and eat!

So pretty straightforward and I doubt I actually had to bother to write this post because half of you already know how to make this lol :p

Matthew
April 10, 2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks Emilie <3

Basic, but very tasty meal :) Thanks for posting.

I usually fold the omelette. Never ate it with a pita bread before. I shall try that sometime

Forever_Melody
April 10, 2009, 11:33 AM
Putting it into a pita allows you to bring it around as a snack/breakfast on the move though. When I have time, I make it in the morning and bring it to the bus(when it's not too cold outside that is lol :p)

Matthew
April 23, 2009, 07:42 PM
mhm, agreed!

I really like it when Pita is freshly made. Nice and warm :)
Hmmm fresh pita and omelette :)

I may go to the superstore and buy some fresh made pita lol. Plus I need to make someone a meal >.>

Ah well, I love cooking too much.
[hr]
Hiya!!
Recipe Number 2 :hearts :worship2 :drool

This awesome, delightful, tasting recipe is directly from Chef Gordon Ramsay's books

Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe is 'tis recipe's name hehe :drool

The ingredients below serves 4 people!
Ingredients

* Groundnut oil
* 1 large onion, peeled
* 2 fresh green chillies
* 1" piece of ginger, peeled
* 3 garlic cloves, peeled
* ½ tsp red chilli powder
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 2 tsp garam masala
* 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
* 1 tbsp tomato puree
* 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
* 4 boneless chicken breasts (approx 150g each), cubed
* 10 dried curry leaves
* 4-6 tbsp natural yoghurt
* Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped

For the steamed rice

* 400g basmati rice, rinsed
* 600ml cold water
* Salt and pepper
* 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
* 2 star anise

Making the Chicken Tikka Masala

1. Heat two tablespoons of groundnut oil in a pan. Slice the onion and fry in the oil. Meanwhile, deseed and chop the chilli, chop the ginger and add to the hot pan, crush in the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften.

2. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala and sugar and cook for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes to the pan and allow them to cook for a further few minutes.

3. Transfer the sauce to a food processor and blend until smooth.

4. Add a tablespoon of fresh groundnut oil into the pan and fry the chicken pieces until lightly coloured. Pour in the blended sauce and add the curry leaves. Simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

5. Place the rice in a saucepan, add the cold water and season with salt and pepper. Lightly crush the cardamom pods with your fingers and add to the pan with the star anise. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the rice to steam for a further 5 minutes. Remove the cardamom and star anise. Fluff up the rice with a fork and set aside.

6. Stir in the yoghurt to the chicken curry along with half the chopped coriander. Serve with the steamed rice and garnish with the remaining coriander.

THE PRESENTATION!!
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7251/chickentikkagtfullwidth.jpg

MissYuki
June 22, 2009, 12:40 PM
Yummy that looks so good Matthew! I'm going to have to try that recipe pretty soon!
Lets see...

Yuki's Apple Cinnamon Bread:

Ingredients:
1 cup peeled, chopped apples
2 teaspoon cinnamon (You can add more if you love your cinnamon!)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS::
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup raisons

Steps:

Preheat the oven to 350 F

Use a large bowl to mix your flour, sugar, vanilla, milk, egg, melted butter, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Make sure you mix them well!

Carefully fold in the chopped apple pieces. (If you chose to add raisons add them in as well)

Now pour the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan. (If you decided to use pecans you can top the loaf now)

Bake the loaf for about 45 minutes, keeping the temperature at 350 F. Make sure the center is baked through before you take the loaf out to cool.

Cool for about 10 minutes in the loaf pan before removing the bread onto a wire rack to cool completely...

And Wallah!! You have your bread! =D ENJOY!

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment...Please enjoy!!

blai
May 04, 2010, 12:22 PM
Have a special recipe you always use when baking apple pie or maybe you have a great pork recipe you feel like sharing.

Here we share and discuss the best and the worst. Which recipes should you, and should you NOT use :-)

Blood1523
September 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
Those look like awesome recipes MissYuki and Matthew I'm gonna have to try both of yours. :)

My recipe is Yakisoba that my dad originally started to make and I kinda made it into my own style. Depending on your appetite the can serve 1-2 people. Well lets get started... (And forgive me if i don't have exact measurement I usually wing it XD)

Ingredients:

2 Packs of Chicken Flavored Ramen
Ham (Thick lunch meat works the best.)
1 Green Onion
Bean Sprouts
Napa Cabbage
2 eggs
Red Pepper Flakes (Optional. My family likes hot food so depending on you tastes you can use it or not.)
Butter
Chili oil

Steps:

You need to start by boiling the water for the ramen noddles.

Once its ready put the ramen in it your gonna want to make the noddles a bit al dente.

Strain them and keep them in the strainer then put the noodles to the side.

Cut the ham into 1/4 inch strips. After that give the napa cabbage and green onion a rough chop.

Add about a tablespoon of Chili Oil and Butter into a large sauté pan.

Once butter is melted add the Ham, Napa cabbage, Green onions. Sauté them until browned.

Get the noodles and run them under some water to loosen them up again and add the packs of Chicken flavoring.

Now add your noodles and a hand full of Bean Sprouts to the sauté pan mix together. (I just flip the food in the pan but mixing with a spatula works fine too. Now would be the time to add the Red pepper flakes if you choose.)

Sauté it for about 5-10 minutes stirring often.

Now make a hole in to middle of the food and put another tablespoon of butter in. Once melted add the 2 eggs and scramble them.(You can do this in a separate pan but doing it this way is one less thing you'll have to clean later. :p)

Mix everything together a few more times.

And Voualá!! :hi5 That is it if you have any questions feel free to PM me. This is my first recipe I've written so I hope I did alright. :D

Roflkopt3r
September 16, 2010, 03:32 PM
Looking for something unhealthy to do with spaghetti?
Roast ham sausage and onions in a pan, add cream and spaghetti when they're slightly roasted. Wait for most of the cream to evaporate. Usually my last minute rescue when I'm really hungry and there's few food at home.

Banana Curry Sauce:
Squish a banana and combine it with some cream in a pan, optionally some onion can be added. Add some thai curry and that's pretty much it. Suits well to rice and chicken. Easy and fast. Just don't use too much cream or the taste will be stale, there's no problem if it's just a little bit viscous.

Yeah I'm too lazy for real recipes, no precise measurement required :amuse
My mother has some great recipes, I'm just too lazy. Gotta finally lern hers.

Charlie
September 16, 2010, 08:04 PM
Thread Merged

destiny4ever
December 16, 2010, 10:23 PM
Since this is a holiday season for many of us, I thought it would be a cool idea to share some holiday recipes. :) Here’s a recipe that is quite easy to make and that is also pretty yummy.

Eggnog

Ingredients
• 6 eggs
• 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 quart milk
• 1/3 pint heavy whipping cream
• 1 pinch ground nutmeg
• 1 pinch salt

Directions
1. Beat eggs; mix in condensed milk, vanilla, quart of milk and salt.
2. Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold in to egg and milk mixture and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve chilled.

steelwingcrash1
December 18, 2010, 09:45 AM
Japan #2 (From Yakitate!! Japan)

Ingredients
350g of bread flour
21g of butter
21g of sugar
35ml of milk
180ml of water
5g of dry yeast
6.5g of salt

How to make Japan #2?
1. First add flour, sugar, salt, yeast dissolved in water, water and milk to rice cooker pot.
2. Mix it well and knead the ingredients
3. Then, add butter
4. Knead it some more until it no longer feels sticky
5. Leave it in a warm place for 1 hour to allow it to rise
6. Get rid of the extra gas
7. Place in the rice cooker for 1 hour
8. After 1 hour, turn it over and cook it again
9. After that, turn it over and cook it once again :amuse

And there you have it fluffy rice cooker bread! :smile-big

Will that shine like gold similar to the anime? LOL

I envy you people who know how to cook. I can only fry hot dogs, eggs, bacon, etc. :(

Bugzee
December 23, 2010, 09:23 PM
"Anyone can cook" ~ Gusteau

Seriously though... it's basically down to practice. Start with a simple recipe that you actually like the sound/look of lol. I never stick 100% to a recipe. If you have an interest in cooking or would like to improve ya skillz in the kitchen then nothing is stopping you practice riiiight? :p

Btw - Quote from the movie; Ratatouille. :cheez

k-dom
December 31, 2010, 08:26 AM
Do you know the french dessert eclair or the profiterolles
Here is the recipe to make the pastry and make your friends believe you are a 3 stars chef

Ingredients :
1/4l water
150g flour
75g butter
4 eggs

Put the butter cut in small pieces with the water in a saucepan. Let melt the butter until the watter boil then stop the fire

Put the flour in the mix all at once. Turn with a wood spoon until it is homogeneous

Put the mix on a small fire to dry it (continue to mix it with the spoon). The mix shall stop attached to the spoon or the saucespan
Put out of the fire

Add 1 egg to the mix. At first it does not mix well but after a few effort you have a nice homogeneous pastry
Do the same with the other eggs ( one by one )

With a spoon ( cofee spoon for small ones, sup spoon for big ones), set small amount of the mix on a floured plate. Put in the oven for 25 minutes at 200C ( the choux shall have a nice brown color )

Here is a site with pictures of the different steps
http://chefsimon.com/pate-a-chou.html

Now you just have to fill the choux with whatever you like. The traditional is a chocolate or cafe cream but the easiest and favorite one are the profiterolles
You put vanilla ice cream in the choux and serve them with melted chocolate.

Trust me it's a really simple dessert always wonderfully appreciated.
[hr]
And here is another great dessert to make your friend believe you can compete in Master Chef : The macarons
Theory :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Macaron_1.jpg

Ingredients for chocolate macarons :
biscuits
360g of ice sugar (if you don't have ice sugar, put standard sugar into a blender)
20g of chocolate powder (van houten or equivalent)
140g of almand powder
5 white eggs

cream :
40 g of Cream
400g of dessert chocolate

Recipes :
Mix the almand powder, 300g of sugar and the powder cacao

Mount the white eggs (sorry I don't know the expression in english : you whisk them until it's all fluffy). Add the rest of the sugar meanwhile

Mix the eggs with almand/sugar mix. After a while the egg should incorporate well to the preparation.

Heat the oven at 180°C. Put half of the pastry on a flat plate recovered with cooking paper (well the type of paper that will make the pastry easy to remove). Spread the pastry with a wood spoon so that you have a big square of ~1cm heigh

Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The pastry shall be still soft.

Do the same with the other half. Then you should have the 2 part of the biscuit.

Meanwhile prepare the cream by melting the chocolate with the cream in a saucepan. Turn and let it cool.

Once everything is cold. Put one of the half biscuit on a plate, spread the chocolate cream on it (if the cream is to soft put it in the fridge). Put the other half biscuit and here you have your giant macaron.

If you are patient enough you can make little ones like for the choux but it's much more easy this way an it tastes the same.

Now instead of chocolate you can add any flavor and change the cream but the chocolate one is the easiest to do.

diana5franks
January 15, 2011, 05:43 AM
Winter drink Cafe Brulot:
Its a hot French drink!

first prepare about 3 cups of black coffee and leave it to brew for 5 minutes. In the meantime, mix in a saucepan 1 tbsp brown sugar, 6 whole cloves, a long strip each of lemon peel and orange peel, a stick of cinnamon, a pinch of natural vanilla, and 1 cup brandy.Serve into 4 cups that are three-quarters full of hot, strong coffee.Be ready to to receive compliments.

Barclay
January 20, 2011, 11:07 AM
A favorite chicken spaghetti recipe.
Ingredients:

* 1 or 2 cups cooked chicken, cut in chunks
* 1 (6 oz.) pkg. thin spaghetti, COOKED
* 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
* 1/2 cup diced onion
* 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
* 1/2 lb. Velveeta, cubed
* salt & pepper to taste
* Parmesan cheese, grated

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients together, except Parmesan cheese, and place in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover, bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Stir once or twice toward end of cooking time to mix ingredients. (amounts of ingredients can vary slightly, if desired) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Carolyn's Note: thin spaghetti is best and the olives give it a taste all it's own. To me without the olives, is kinda bland. But then I like the black olives.

blackjack612
March 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
Baked Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
Category: Breakfast
Servings: 2

Description: I just threw this together one day on a whim and it turned out pretty good, so I wanted to throw the recipe online. It can probably be improved/perfected to suit your individual tastes, and works just as well substituting sliced strawberries for blueberries.

Ingredients:

2 Cups of Blueberries
1 and 1/2 Tbsp. of Cornstarch
3/8 Cup of Sgar
2 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt
1/4 Tsp. as well as a Dash of Cinnamon
8 Slices of Bread

Direction:

Preheat the oven to 400
Mix heaving whipping cream, eggs, vanilla, and dash of cinnamon together in a bowl large enough to dip bread in.
Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and tsp. of cinnamon together in a separate container.
Place foil in or grease a pan.
Cut and remove a circle from four slices of bread.
Form base of toast by dipping a slice of bread in the egg mixture and putting it on the pan.
Dip two of the slices with circles removed in the egg mixture and lay that on top of the base slice.
Fill the hole with blueberries.
Cover blueberries with sugar mixture.
Dip a slice of bed in the egg mixture and use it to cover the stuffed toast.
Repeat 7-10 for remaining slices of bread.
Bake for 30 min.

Paper
September 13, 2011, 07:56 AM
Creme Anglaise (base for ice cream or creme mousseline/mousse)
Category: dessert
Servings:
Difficulty: moderate
Tools needed: 3 medium bowls, 2 large bowls, whisk, large saucepan, ice cream maker/pacojet, 2 spatulas, cutting board, knife, weighing scale, fine strainer/chinois.
Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1L milk
500ml cream
300g sugar
3 vanilla bean pods (cut them length-wise down the middle and use the back of the knife to scrape the vanilla out of the pod)
300g egg yolks
1.5g salt (I only put in a quantity because "a pinch" is very subjective to how big the person's fingers are)

Procedure:
a.1. Prep the following:
-Separate the yolks from the whites
-Split the sugar 40-60 in two different containers
-Fill one large bowl 2/3 with ice and pour in a glass of water into the ice. This will serve as your "ice bath". put the other large bowl on top of the ice bath, then place your fine strainer in that bowl.
a.2. Mix the cream, milk, salt, vanilla, and 40% of the sugar together. Let this mixture heat up in the saucepan till it simmers (DO NOT BOIL THE MIXTURE!!!)
a.3. Beat the yolks and remaining sugar together in a bowl. Whisk the mixture till it turns pale and stiff.
a.4. Once the milk mixture starts to simmer, pour half of it into the egg mixture and beat it for about 5 seconds, then pour it back into the sauce pan, continuously whisking it till it stiffens and starts to resemble runny mashed potatoes. This cooking method is called Tempering.
a.5. Once the mixture thickens, strain it onto the bowl on top of the ice bath and continue whisking the mixture till it becomes cold.
a.6. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and turn it on. It normally takes mine 2 hours to finish the freezing process, but the time may vary between brands and climates.

Once the freezing process is done, make sure to transfer it into a freezer-safe container and let it freeze for at least 4 hours before serving. This gives it time to rest and firm up, and it'll ensure that you don't have runny ice cream.

*If you want flavor your ice cream with fruits (e.g. raspberry, orange, mango), you'll want to turn that into a "jam" first, before adding it in to your creme anglaise.

Adding fruit
Ingredients:
Take the 300g of sugar in the anglaise recipe
lessen the milk by 300ml
250g fruit*
50g water*
*= if you're using canned fruit, then just use all the contents of a 275/350g can
2g salt

Procedure:
b.1. Dump everything into one saucepan and let it simmer till it becomes sticky and jam-like. keep on stirring this till it turns into jam.
b.2. Remember to brush the sides with a bit of water every 2mins or so, to prevent the sides from burning.
b.3. Once the jam is done, you'll need to mix it in with the anglaise at step a.5, then just follow through to step a.6.
*If you want to use chocolate to flavor your ice cream

you'll need to use "couverture" chocolate, or "pure" chocolate for this recipe. This means that you'll need to read the label on the chocolate package, and if it contains ingredients other than "chocolate/cacao mass, cacao liquor, cacao butter" then you'll need to look for something else to flavor your ice cream with.

Adding Chocolate
Ingredients:
reduce the sugar on the anglaise recipe by 75g
300g dark chocolate couverture/ chocolate

Procedure:
c.1 Use a double boiler/ bain marie to melt the chocolate (you can do this by filling a pot with water and covering it with the butt-end of a stainless steel bowl and letting the water boil).
c.2. Add the chocolate at step a.5, then follow through to step a.6.

There is an easier method to adding chocolate, but this method requires high-quality couverture, that does not have a high melting point.

Procedure:
c.1.2 Just before you strain your anglaise, place the couverture pieces into the bowl (the one on top of the ice bath), ang whisk vigorously.
*If you want to use Nutella

Adding Nutella
Ingredients:
reduce the milk and sugar of the anglaise recipe by 300g each
300g nutella

Procedure:
d.1. Add the nutella in at step a.4, right after you pour back your egg mixture into the saucepan.
d.2. Follow the anglaise procedure
*using nuts
Let's face it, not all of us are willing to shell out tons of cash for a 1/4gal tub of wholesale nut paste (e.g. praline paste, pistachio paste, macadamia paste), but fear not, we can make these things ourselves. All you'll need are the raw nuts, sugar, and a really powerful food processor.

Ingredients:
take the 300g sugar from the anglaise recipe and reduce it to 250g
200g raw nuts (entirely up to you)
50g peanuts (this is to enhance the "nutty" flavor)

Procedure:
g.1. Place the nuts and sugar in a large saucepan and let it caramelize till it resembles light molasses or dark peanut brittle. Remember to keep on stirring as you make the "brittle"
g.2. Grease up a cookie sheet, then spread the nuts out on it. Let it cool for about 15mins
g.3. Place the brittle into your food processor, and let it rip. Do this till the brittle turns into a smooth paste.
g.4. Incorporate the paste into the anglaise at step a.5.

k-dom
September 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
And if you whipp the eggs white you can make a floating island (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Ujuvad_saarekesed.jpg/800px-Ujuvad_saarekesed.jpg) :-)
Also you can add a spoon a cornmeal like maizena to the yolk-sugar mix, it helps the 'tempering' process, but maybe it's not good if you want to make icecream with it.
It's also used for the crème brûlée, but i've never tried it. Professional use a torch

Paper
September 14, 2011, 12:43 AM
Adding "maza harina" will make the texture sandy...It'd be easier to use gelatine sheets or corn starch if the cook isn't too confident about tempering.

*using gelatine sheets
Gelatine sheets are pretty strong, so you'll only need about eight sheets for one batch of ice cream. This roughly translates to one package of Knox powdered/granulated gelatine (Knox offers the best consistency out of all the commercial brands, so this makes for the best choice)

Ingredients:
8 sheets of gelatine OR 1 package of Knox

Procedure:
e.1. Individually soak the gelatine sheets in the ice bath (don't dump them in all at once, do what you can to make sure that the sheets don't touch each other) till you're just about ready to start step a.5.
e.2. Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine sheets, then place them onto the hot anglaise mixture.
e.2.2. If you're using powdered gelatine, you can dump the packet into the hot mixture now.
e.3. whisk (incorporate) the gelatine into the anglaise mixture as it cools.

*using corn starch
Fast food restaurants/ QSRs use corn starch as an inexpensive way to thicken their ice cream. This is because, unlike flour, corn starch does not leave a "starchy" aftertaste.

Ingredients:
remove 50g of yolks
65g corn starch

Procedure:
f.1. Whisk the cornstarch in with the yolks in step a.3.
f.2. follow as the original recipe says.

Yeah, you can make merigues out of the whites, or you can do and dilute them with a bit of milk, and soak croissant slices in them to make "pre-workout french toast"... mainly since the whites have lots of proteins and the croissants have tons of fat.