PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Fairy Tail 318 Discussion/ 319 Predictions

goldb
February 01, 2013, 08:16 AM
This is where you can post and discuss the spoilers for the next chapter of Fairy Tail.

24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
Mangahelpers enforces a temporary blockade for discussion of new spoilers/chapters. This blockade ends 24 hours after raws are publicly released.
For series with a forum, please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
Please wait 24 hours before posting any art based on new chapters in the art and stories section.
The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.
Spoiler Pics and Translations:
At Mangahelpers we only allow three manga pages to be posted directly as spoilers.
This rule is not judged based on the number of thumbnails but the number of pages pictured.
Please provide hyperlinks for any excess pages.
Please do not re-post already available spoiler pics or summaries.
International translations may be posted in the spoiler discussion thread. A moderator will add it with credit to the English translation in the spoiler pics and summaries thread.
Do not significantly edit your post after more posts have been made. Please make a new post if new spoilers are available.
For-Profit Download Links
If a for-profit download link is provided, we ask that a non-profit alternative is available in the same post.
Linking to another website with for-profit download links and no non-profit alternative also violates site rules.
Mangahelpers asks that members who may not be comfortable using sites that help turn a profit for pirated material have a choice.
Mediafire, Rapidshare, and Sendspace are all non-profit links. Providing any of these as a download link fulfills the non-profit alternative requirement.
*.usercash.*
*.linkbucks.*
*.tinyurl.*
*.anonym.to/*
*.xrl.us/*
*.realfiles.net*
*.sharecash.*
*.shorl.com/*
*.lix.in/*
*.pgi-shumen.info/*
*hotfile.com*
*letitbit.net*
*depositfiles.com*
*tiny.cc*
*uploading.com*
*ugotfile.com*
*depositt.blogspot.com*
*cashfiles.blog.com*
*snipurl.com*
*bit.ly*
*rayfile.com*
*storage.to*
*megaupload.com*
*share-links.biz*
*doiop.com*
*filefactory.com*
*missupload.com*
*enterupload.com*
*mangoshare.com*
Formatting:
We ask that proper format is followed to provide the maximum amount of information and best reading experience.
Example One:

Source: Mangahelpers (http://mangahelpers.com/)
Credits: Ohana

http://img204.imagevenue.com/loc81/th_539054661_01_122_81lo.jpg (http://img204.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=539054661_01_122_81lo.jpg)http://img273.imagevenue.com/loc110/th_539055410_841810_122_110lo.jpg (http://img273.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=539055410_841810_122_110lo.jpg)
http://img265.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=539055332_03_122_77lo.jpg

Example Two:

Source: Mangahelpers (http://mangahelpers.com/)
Credits: Ohana

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque pretium nunc et ante condimentum eget fermentum velit posuere.
Proin sollicitudin mollis augue sed semper.
Aenean eget lectus eget risus laoreet convallis id non massa. Cras non urna vitae neque imperdiet rhoncus.
Quisque luctus felis ultricies eros mollis pulvinar.

Kuza
February 07, 2013, 02:02 AM
Oh my, FT is also coming out early this week. Didnt watch spoilers, just excited :D

milek
February 07, 2013, 02:28 AM
come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

i dont believe that gajeel lost just like that.

gaston42
February 07, 2013, 02:44 AM
come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

i dont believe that gajeel lost just like that.

Judging by the face Gajeel makes in the last page of the chapter, it look more like 'nice try, now it's my turn' than 'oh shit, I lost'.

nacer666
February 07, 2013, 02:48 AM
That looks like dragon force.

Ifrit
February 07, 2013, 02:55 AM
OMG did Gajeel just activated his Dragon Force....This is gonna be good one. Can't wait finally Gajeel fights are never bad. Even his fight in S-Class was super !\

Can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.

DarkIcarusX
February 07, 2013, 03:05 AM
Important stuff about Gajeel VS Rogue:
Rogue attack - Eiryuu no renjyakusen

2nd last pic
Rogue: Kukuku... Is this the Gajeel you look upon to?
Levy: Stop! You'll kill him!

Last pic
Gajeel: I'll let you think again. I'm actually scary.
Text: Tetsueiryuu?! (Iron Shadow Dragon)
Next Chapter: White Knight

Seems like Gajeel ate the shadow and became something like Natsu's Fire Lightning Mode.

Morlun
February 07, 2013, 03:17 AM
Seems like Gajeel ate the shadow and became something like Natsu's Fire Lightning Mode.

Could he have been possessed by whatever lurked in Rogue's shadow?

milek
February 07, 2013, 03:18 AM

2nd last pic

Last pic

thank you for clearing things with Gajeel

DarkIcarusX
February 07, 2013, 03:27 AM
Maybe? We need to read the missing pages to know.

Beatrice
February 07, 2013, 04:01 AM

2nd last pic

Last pic

Looks like it'll involve Arcadios.
http://i30.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/301/fairy-tail-3612791.jpg

ahyousoft
February 07, 2013, 04:07 AM
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/318

vansonbee
February 07, 2013, 04:41 AM
I like the chapter. Gajeel shadow form design was alluring. I expected Rogue to stomp Gajeel and die with Levy near him like what was shown in the future.

Yukino and the guy is missing, I wonder where they went. Mira going after Yukino was cute, so sisterly. I think Yukino is older than Mira, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jellel and his crew is still sitting on their asses like a boss.

Looking forward to Future Lucy, Rogue evil shadow and their connection to Zeref.

Could he have been possessed by whatever lurked in Rogue's shadow?
I wonder this too.

Rarhyx
February 07, 2013, 04:48 AM
awesome chapter, can't wait to see the next one :D
I think this isn't the first time rogue is possesed...
and sting is the one who can "free" him, that's why frosh is running in another direction than the battle...
(title of the next chapter is maybe a hint for that theory)

Gats
February 07, 2013, 04:54 AM
Fairy Tail's members are surprised that the Royal Army has a magic unit ? :fail

The guards are so dutiful they don't even know who they're against despite all this arena stuff. :fail

*switch off his brain, enjoyed the chapter*

liductan
February 07, 2013, 05:10 AM
Honestly, as happy as I am for gajeel. DId he really have to eat the shadow to accomplish this? Ignoring this one SMALL detail. This chapter was off the chain, just like I thought it would be. Can't wait for the next chapter..!

Marzarret
February 07, 2013, 05:38 AM
This is what makes the First Generation of Dragonslayers superior from the succeeding Generations. They have a specialty to adapt to the other Dragon Elements aside from their own. Like Natsu that can consume the Fire Godslayer and the Lightning Dragonslayer magic, and now it is Gajeel that can consume the power of the Shadow Dragon.

Buggy
February 07, 2013, 06:17 AM
That was some cool stuff if I ever saw one. So it seems that the Shadow guy is the big bad? One of Zeref's minions or something else? Reminds of the stuff Jellal was possessed with.

That was some screwed up stuff from future Lucy - take them the other way to avoid the royal army just to run into the royal army?! She is either an idiot (which she shouldn't be, since she is Lucy) or she has ulterior motives.

One little thing that's been bugging me since last chapter - no way Fro would be allowed to just be on the battlefield casually, being a guild member. Probably author's intentional oversight in favor of the story.

MonkeyLuffy
February 07, 2013, 06:31 AM
Ok,so no one here don't wonder how Gazeel got this power up?I was like O.O when Gazeel said"if natsu can do it,i can too"...WTF Gazeel,Salamander can shallow fire because he is a firetype dragon slayer,for god shake...Random power ups in this manga can make me crazy!:@

On the good part of the arc,i can't wait to see the 10.000 dragons!I really can't wait!

tobeulp
February 07, 2013, 06:50 AM
The chapter is great only in the last few pages I was ready to hate this chapter on what is happening with Gajeel being a punching bag then when he ate the shadow it started to get better and I think it is executed well because Natsu with lightning is still greater than Gajeel so he must have a power up...
I know the power up in this manga is sometimes or always is BS but this isn't HxH or One Piece that is crazy great with details so I don't expect alot incase of power up I just enjoy it (Naruto has more weird powerup trust me)

Junior
February 07, 2013, 07:27 AM
Ok,so no one here don't wonder how Gazeel got this power up?I was like O.O when Gazeel said"if natsu can do it,i can too"...WTF Gazeel,Salamander can shallow fire because he is a firetype dragon slayer,for god shake...Random power ups in this manga can make me crazy!:@

On the good part of the arc,i can't wait to see the 10.000 dragons!I really can't wait!

I think that was more of a reference to how Natsu ate Laxus' lightning.

but I will admit it felt a little random.

"If Salamander can do it, I can too!"

That statement seemed to come out of nowhere. The process of ingesting another element was built up to be quite a big deal. In essence, they're taking a substance that's foreign to their body and forcibly integrating it.

That's supposed to be a pretty big deal.

Ah well, I wont complain. I love Gajeel's character and his fights are always pretty boss.

"Sword of The Iron Dragon's Shadow". Hah.

Rarhyx
February 07, 2013, 07:30 AM

Why random power up? It seem's you forgot that Natsu ate Laxus' lightning, didn't you?

and what Marzarret said seems plausible, maybe this is the difference between 1. generation DS vs 2. + 3. Generation

1. generation can eat other elements
2. generation (dunno, forgot what was special about them)
3. generation can activate Dragon Force whenever they want

Newkerzy
February 07, 2013, 07:51 AM
I think that was more of a reference to how Natsu ate Laxus' lightning.

but I will admit it felt a little random.

"If Salamander can do it, I can too!"

That statement seemed to come out of nowhere. The process of ingesting another element was built up to be quite a big deal. In essence, they're taking a substance that's foreign to their body and forcibly integrating it.

That's supposed to be a pretty big deal.

Ah well, I wont complain. I love Gajeel's character and his fights are always pretty boss.

"Sword of The Iron Dragon's Shadow". Hah.

The way I see it, he probably heard what Natsu did, so I wouldn't even be surprised if he actually asked Makarov or Levy about it.

Megadoomer
February 07, 2013, 07:55 AM
I found it hilarious that Rogue (or whatever's possessing him) now thinks that he's stronger than Gazille or Natsu, when most of his successful attacks came from blatant cheap-shots.

MonkeyLuffy
February 07, 2013, 08:05 AM
Why random power up? It seem's you forgot that Natsu ate Laxus' lightning, didn't you?

and what Marzarret said seems plausible, maybe this is the difference between 1. generation DS vs 2. + 3. Generation

Μaybe im wrong,but Laxus gave his lacrima to Laxus,he couldn't steal it...He can steal powers,only if these powers are from his type...But he stole shadows?!I mean,come on,it was random...And what Marzarret said is a guess.Until Mashima explain it(something that it's not his style) it is random...And even if he explain it,my opinion is that these power ups are bad...Gazeel trained so he can face top fighters!It would be way more awesome if he face him with his own power...The thing with Mashima is that many times he can't creat a balance fight!At the start,Gazeel was playing with Rogue like he was a toy but then Rogue powered up,and Rogue play now with Gazeel...-.-

And what if Natsu eat a Fire,Lighting,stone,mud,air type magic??? -.-' Makarov and Gildtardz didn't become so strong by eating elements...Guess what,they trained,and thats why they are BEASTS!!!

Rarhyx
February 07, 2013, 08:46 AM
Μaybe im wrong,but Laxus gave his lacrima to Laxus,he couldn't steal it...He can steal powers,only if these powers are from his type...But he stole shadows?!I mean,come on,it was random...And what Marzarret said is a guess.Until Mashima explain it(something that it's not his style) it is random...And even if he explain it,my opinion is that these power ups are bad...Gazeel trained so he can face top fighters!It would be way more awesome if he face him with his own power...The thing with Mashima is that many times he can't creat a balance fight!At the start,Gazeel was playing with Rogue like he was a toy but then Rogue powered up,and Rogue play now with Gazeel...-.-

http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Lacrima

I doubt he recieved the lacrima...
He doesn't steal the magic type, he just... eats it.
And if he eats/uses another type (i.e. not fire magic) he is useless right after the fight because his body can't take it (isn't used to it).

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7216-3/fairy-tail/chapter-101.html
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/221/3
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/249/8
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/259/9

So I'm expecpting the same from Gazille. IMO it wasn't random at all.
Natsu eating a golden flame from Gerard was random, FT vs Hades was random... but not this.

And I don't think that Shadow is anything near human that's why Gazille got beat up and is now powering up.

R3D
February 07, 2013, 08:50 AM
the thing is lightning is kinda similar to fire so it wouldnt be so farfetched when natsu ate lightning and able to use it instantly , but iron and shadow hasnt got like the same properties cuz iron is hard and solid while shadow is intangible so i dont get it how come gajeel can just eat shadow , its not like he ever tried eating shadow before , i mean who eats shadow ? and how do you eat it ? but it would be cool if when gajeel gets attacked than he become intagible then counters when a iron fist to the face X.X and im a gajeel fan !!

Xguard
February 07, 2013, 08:52 AM
His Gajeel's new image resemble me Brago from GashBell ^^

Why you are really wonder about Gajeel ate shadow?
He'd never had it before doesn't mean he can't!
I'm quite sure that later in the story, there will be a mixed power between dragon slayer^^

MyuuMyuu
February 07, 2013, 09:08 AM
One of the many reasons why Gajeel is my favorite among the dragon slayers (and probably among the all the men in Fairy Tail).
He's just so frickin' badass, compared to everyone else, yet he's on the good site, but he's god damn fighting at his own conditions.

I don't get why people find his power up random. I mean, among all the power ups in Fairy Tail, this isn't really random compared to all the nakama-bullshit everyone pulls everytime. Also, Natsu eats lots of stuff to power up. When he fought against Jellal(Was it against jellal? Or do I remember wrong), he ate this...this...blue thingy. He got really sick afterwards, I remember. So natsu doesn't 'only' eat fire related stuff (god slaying magic, laxus lighting magic) So I don't see why Gajeel eating the shadow is random.
I also believe Gajeel could win this fight without, but, as he said "If salamander can Do it, then I can too" . Natsu is Gajeel rival, so he just wanna prove to everyone (and probably himself) that Natsu goddamit aren't better than he are. I don't find it random at all, it makes sense to me and to Gajeel character and personality. I like this better than a "nakama" power up which fairy tail members always gets...

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

the thing is lightning is kinda similar to fire so it wouldnt be so farfetched when natsu ate lightning and able to use it instantly , but iron and shadow hasnt got like the same properties cuz iron is hard and solid while shadow is intangible so i dont get it how come gajeel can just eat shadow , its not like he ever tried eating shadow before , i mean who eats shadow ? and how do you eat it ? but it would be cool if when gajeel gets attacked than he become intagible then counters when a iron fist to the face X.X and im a gajeel fan !!

Natsu also ate other stuff to get power ups, like that blue thingy when he fought against jellal (It was against jellal, right?), so, I dont find it weird that Gajeel can also eat other things which aren't iron related. If Natsu can, all the first gernartion dragon slayers should be able to do it. As for how he ate the shadow.. well, how does rouge fight with the shadow xD? Its magic, I tell you! Magic!

Divinenega
February 07, 2013, 09:38 AM
My personal theory concering how that "power-up" works is either:

A) A 1st gen Dragonslayer can gain another Dragonslayer's power if they eat that Dragonslayer's element, though they probably need to have enough power to pull it off and it has to specifically be a Dragonslayer's power their absorbing.

B) A 1st gen Dragonslayer can get a new element by absorbing power from a DS Lacrima specifically. Both Laxus and Rouge use them so it's not entierly impossible. It would make things more complicated if that were the case though

ahyousoft
February 07, 2013, 10:09 AM
Well, if rogue/raios was gajeel student, wasn't he a DS that time?

MonkeyLuffy
February 07, 2013, 10:14 AM
http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Lacrima

I doubt he recieved the lacrima...
He doesn't steal the magic type, he just... eats it.
And if he eats/uses another type (i.e. not fire magic) he is useless right after the fight because his body can't take it (isn't used to it).

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7216-3/fairy-tail/chapter-101.html
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/221/3
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/249/8
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/259/9

So I'm expecpting the same from Gazille. IMO it wasn't random at all.
Natsu eating a golden flame from Gerard was random, FT vs Hades was random... but not this.

And I don't think that Shadow is anything near human that's why Gazille got beat up and is now powering up.

Dunno,maybe i was wrong about the lacrima,but im right about Laxus giving his element to Natsu...Natsu himself CANT,and we know that,HE CANT eat/swallow other elements except fire!Same with Gazille!Laxus was the one that lgave his magic to Natsu...And Natsu swallowing FLAMES(like the golden flames)is not random.It is what he is doing...Gazille can eat metals,thats fact too...But eating shadows?Hmmm...le me thing,NO!

Lozmaster
February 07, 2013, 10:24 AM
the thing is lightning is kinda similar to fire so it wouldnt be so farfetched when natsu ate lightning and able to use it instantly

What? Lightning is nothing like fire. YEs, lightning can *cause* fire when it hits something, but if you're going to use that logic, it's fine that Gajeel can eat shadow because his metal casts a shadow.

i mean who eats shadow ?
A shadow dragonslayer:teehee

and how do you eat it ?

Same deal as wendy. How do you eat "sky"? She doesn't, she consumes "Air". In the same way, gajeel/Rogue could just swallow "darkness" from places in shade.

Dunno,maybe i was wrong about the lacrima,but im right about Laxus giving his element to Natsu...Natsu himself CANT,and we know that,HE CANT eat/swallow other elements except fire!
Except he can. He swallowed lightning. That's an absolutely indisputable fact. The limit that a dragonslayer can only eat their own element is gone. At the very least, it's clear that they can swallow other types of Dragonslayer magic, given the right opportunity.

hoeru
February 07, 2013, 10:29 AM

They only appear random if one doesn't read carefully enough.

Using other magical power sources than one's own element is a pretty well established power up in Fairy Tail for like ... umh ... about ... uhm, no pretty much exactly 220 chapters, as well as using the other element a Dragon Slayer consumed.

And yes. Natsu wasn't using flames back then against Gérard after eating Etherion...

Freid
February 07, 2013, 10:33 AM
so i dont get it how come gajeel can just eat shadow , its not like he ever tried eating shadow before , i mean who eats shadow ? and how do you eat it ?

I know right? It's not like we already have people eating wind, fire and lighting..........oh, wait......

Anyway, I for one approve of this power up. Shadow and iron is an odd combination but I think shadow kinda suits Gajeels nature and I'm trusting Mashima to be creative with it....*fingers crossed*

MonkeyLuffy
February 07, 2013, 10:45 AM
What? Lightning is nothing like fire. YEs, lightning can *cause* fire when it hits something, but if you're going to use that logic, it's fine that Gajeel can eat shadow because his metal casts a shadow.

A shadow dragonslayer:teehee

Same deal as wendy. How do you eat "sky"? She doesn't, she consumes "Air". In the same way, gajeel/Rogue could just swallow "darkness" from places in shade.

Except he can. He swallowed lightning. That's an absolutely indisputable fact. The limit that a dragonslayer can only eat their own element is gone. At the very least, it's clear that they can swallow other types of Dragonslayer magic, given the right opportunity.

Correct me if im wrong,but Laxus GAVE his power to Natsu,Natsu himself can't eat thunders...So thats what im saying ! And overall,that idea of many elements in DS,is bad...All DS will end up with 896786 elements in their power...Tell me this,is Makarov and Gildtarz fools that they trained themselfs to become so strong while DSs just eat elements and get stronger?And why Laxus didn't ate Natsu's flames?

SerpentTailedAngel
February 07, 2013, 10:48 AM
Geeze. This is a day early.

Well, I really liked the chapter. Future Lucy leading them into the knights seems like a trap, and I like that. Rogue getting possessed was pretty easy to see coming, and it wasn't done poorly. Didn't foresee Frosch taking action, but I love that. Eating the shadows was cool too, because even if I'm not a Gajeel fan it's nice to see him catching up to Natsu. Just one thing that bugs me: Why did Rogue need a name change? We aren't going to have to start calling him Raios now, are we?

R3D
February 07, 2013, 10:49 AM
its more believable if you say gajeel absorbed the shadow , but eat it ? i still find it strange eating shadow lol ...

Athrin
February 07, 2013, 10:50 AM
It does seem plausible that this ability is a first gen DS only, because unless I missed a chapter or can't remember it, we weren't told by anyone with extensive knowledge of DS magic what would happen if a DS ate a dragon (?) element other than his own. All we was told is that DS can eat their own element to recover their magic and the only other things Natsu have eaten other than fire was a physical item (lacrima) and lightning.

its more believable if you say gajeel absorbed the shadow , but eat it ? i still find it strange eating shadow lol ...

So we're ignoring Rogue?

Rarhyx
February 07, 2013, 10:57 AM
Correct me if im wrong,but Laxus GAVE his power to Natsu,Natsu himself can't eat thunders...So thats what im saying ! And overall,that idea of many elements in DS,is bad...All DS will end up with 896786 elements in their power...Tell me this,is Makarov and Gildtarz fools that they trained themselfs to become so strong while DSs just eat elements and get stronger?And why Laxus didn't ate Natsu's flames?

Laxus not only gave it to Natsu but Natsu also ate it.

Dunno,maybe i was wrong about the lacrima,but im right about Laxus giving his element to Natsu...Natsu himself CANT,and we know that,HE CANT eat/swallow other elements except fire!Same with Gazille!Laxus was the one that lgave his magic to Natsu...And Natsu swallowing FLAMES(like the golden flames)is not random.It is what he is doing...Gazille can eat metals,thats fact too...But eating shadows?Hmmm...le me thing,NO!

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7212-19/fairy-tail/chapter-97.html
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/219/17 (these weren't normal flames he had problem with eating them)
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/246/2

he ate it...

and guess what makorov and gildarts aren't DS. Natsu and Gazille also trained but this a "DS only" power up. I could also make expamples from other manga but it would be OT and will be deleted

Why did Rogue need a name change? We aren't going to have to start calling him Raios now, are we?

I'll stick with Rogue^^

Kuza
February 07, 2013, 11:00 AM
Not bad, firstly i thought "Oh, god, not again Gajeel, bro! Don't be FT's smoker", but then it turned out in an intresting way. My only concern is the source of this shadow. Lets see what could it be?
-Zeref (pretty lame, giving the fact that Mavis didnt know what is that, though she's been on Tenrou island and should know Zerefs' aura/magic)
-Acnologia (pretty lame also, cause acnologia most likely wont know their names and wont communicate with them UNLESS he has some plans towards Rogue).
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/318/24 bottom, 2nd from left reminds me of Acnologia, http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111001053308/fairytail/images/thumb/7/7d/Acnologia_Head_Shot.jpg/217px-Acnologia_Head_Shot.jpg
-Imp of Raven Tail? Could be, since Gajeel kinda betrayed RT and they would most likely gonna get him pay, why not make Rogue kill him?
-Former master of Phantom Lord, Joze? Same idea, he could become an evil guy and operate from shadows, his magic was also shadow like. He has a reason to hate Gajeel, since he joined FT. (I rewatched phantom lords arc lately, thats why I've got this wild guess)

What is given is this substance probably hates Gajeel, it is unknown for Mavis but seems to me its familiar to Jerar and co., so it might be something big or small. Anyway Mashima knows how to make mistery. Good chaper.

Impossibility
February 07, 2013, 11:03 AM
So, I was opposed to the presence of the shadow, some apparent random power-up for Rogue, just completely out of principle. And I find the idea that Rogue could seriously push Gajeel to be ridiculous after what we've seen. However, I think those things can be forgiven, because without those we wouldn't have this total badass version of Gajeel. Awesomeness.

MonkeyLuffy
February 07, 2013, 11:09 AM
Laxus not only gave it to Natsu but Natsu also ate it.

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7212-19/fairy-tail/chapter-97.html
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/219/17 (these weren't normal flames he had problem with eating them)
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/246/2

he ate it...

and guess what makorov and gildarts aren't DS. Natsu and Gazille also trained but this a "DS only" power up. I could also make expamples from other manga but it would be OT and will be deleted

I'll stick with Rogue^^

well,i see your examples there(i remembered only the part that Laxus said that he gave his power to him)....But the whole thing with eating and power ups dont like it!Still we dont know why Laxus couldn't eat Natsu's flames...Also,can Natsu eat Gazille's metal?Also,As far as we know,Natsu didn't had a serious training...And as we see,they get power ups by eating things,so no need for training...Still dont like it...And the fight Rogue vs Gazille...Nah!At the begining Gazille beat Rogue,Rogue power up,Rogue beat Gazille,Gazille power up,Gazille beat Rogue(thats my guess) ... I expected more balanced fight when Rogue got the power up!:/

Kuza
February 07, 2013, 11:14 AM
Guys don't forget that this particular shadow substance can be not Rogue's df power, it gave him a high power boost, so it's probably a kind of "help" from outside, which means it belongs to someone else. If Natsu could eat etherion, I don't see a problem with Gajeel eating some shadow substance that was meant to power up Rogue. After all Gajeel will have big time aftereffect, you'll see.

Athrin
February 07, 2013, 11:22 AM
well,i see your examples there(i remembered only the part that Laxus said that he gave his power to him)....But the whole thing with eating and power ups dont like it!Still we dont know why Laxus couldn't eat Natsu's flames...Also,can Natsu eat Gazille's metal?Also,As far as we know,Natsu didn't had a serious training...And as we see,they get power ups by eating things,so no need for training...Still dont like it...And the fight Rogue vs Gazille...Nah!At the begining Gazille beat Rogue,Rogue power up,Rogue beat Gazille,Gazille power up,Gazille beat Rogue(thats my guess) ... I expected more balanced fight when Rogue got the power up!:/

I don't really understand how you expected a balanced fight when Gajeel was already stronger than Rogue. A power up doesn't mean the gap got any closer. Also about eating to get power ups--all the time that Natsu got that power up was in crucial moments. You're making it seem that all Natsu have to do is eat, which I think you're wrong about.

Honestly, I don't really know why everyone is setting invisible limits on this thing. As far as I'm concerned, a Dragon Slayer of only 1 type of dragon is pretty useless in a time where dragons are everywhere--there had to have been someone to have the ability to slay multiple dragons, using multiple styles.

lawlett-kun
February 07, 2013, 11:26 AM
good chapter go go Gajeel!n About time u got ur dual mode as well :yayHave been wondering about something here....

http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/297/15
Is this destiny Levy spoke of somehow connected to the Rogue's shadow Destiny thingy?

http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/318/11

MonkeyLuffy
February 07, 2013, 11:29 AM
I don't really understand how you expected a balanced fight when Gajeel was already stronger than Rogue. A power up doesn't mean the gap got any closer. Also about eating to get power ups--all the time that Natsu got that power up was in crucial moments. You're making it seem that all Natsu have to do is eat, which I think you're wrong about.

Honestly, I don't really know why everyone is setting invisible limits on this thing. As far as I'm concerned, a Dragon Slayer of only 1 type of dragon is pretty useless in a time where dragons are everywhere--there had to have been someone to have the ability to slay multiple dragons, using multiple styles.

Gazile stronger,Rogue do a power up,the power lvl gap is much closer...=balance fight!

Rarhyx
February 07, 2013, 11:31 AM
Still we dont know why Laxus couldn't eat Natsu's flames...

maybe because he wasn't dumb/smart enough to do that?
also Laxus is a 2. Gen DS also a possible and IMO more likely reason.

THM Nindo
February 07, 2013, 11:58 AM
Shadow Gajeel is so cool!
I hope he can keep that form just like Natsu managed to keep the lightning DF power.

Although, it's unlikely, since the shadow seems to be a being that possess people.
I really wonder what that is... for even Mavis to be impressed, it must be pretty evil!

kuroSaki_Ichi
February 07, 2013, 12:25 PM
Gazile stronger,Rogue do a power up,the power lvl gap is much closer...=balance fight!

It was never a balanced fight, their difference is too far. Rogue is only overpowering Gajeel at the moment, but from here on out Gajeel is going to tear a new hole in Rogue's ____. If you disregard Rogue's shadow power up thingy, he would have never beat Gajeel. The power up was just done to make the fight more interesting rather than one sided ownage.

KingOfNight
February 07, 2013, 12:25 PM
I really didn't like this chapter. Everything was good and cool, until he ate that the shadows. I mean really ? This only shows how uncreative Hiro Mashima is. Sure it was nice and all when Natsu ate Lightning, but now everyone is chilling with two elements ?

Kuza
February 07, 2013, 12:29 PM
Man, we don't know if Natsu has lightning for the rest of his life and surely don't know if Gafeel will hold this power, I think it's like 95% that he won't. Just as Natsu with Etherion.

stevens41
February 07, 2013, 12:38 PM
I enjoyed the chapter and can't wait to see Gajeel kicking Rogue aorund as the fight progress. I did like that Mashima hit two fronts in this issue, a bit on the Natsu crew and a bit on a fight. That helps move the story along nicely IMO.

For those complaning about eating Shadows, for crying out loud, Gajeel is not eating literal shadows but rather shadow MAGIC. Just like Natsu ate lighting MAGIC, etherion, and God Slayer fire magic (which he couldn't eat right away).

Why hasn't Laxus eaten fire magic? Well, probably because he is not a first generation Dragon Slayer. If you are not happy with the development of the series (KingOfNight) then the solution is simple, stop reading it. To say that "everyone" is chilling with two elements is silly when we take into account that so far we have only 2 characters that have done it (as far as I can remember).

Mavis comment does make me wonder if it is Zeref related because one would think that she knows how his magic "feels" like (after all she was in Tendrou island when he was there). Jeral's reaction to the magic is also strange because I think he believes the "strange magic" to be from Zeref. So I guess at this point I am not sure who to belief, Mavis or Jeral LOL.

The whole thing about Rogue being Gajeel's diciple is a bit funny because one would think Rogue would remember something like that but oh well :-) Still a good chapter in my opinion.

Athrin
February 07, 2013, 01:01 PM
I enjoyed the chapter and can't wait to see Gajeel kicking Rogue aorund as the fight progress. I did like that Mashima hit two fronts in this issue, a bit on the Natsu crew and a bit on a fight. That helps move the story along nicely IMO.

For those complaning about eating Shadows, for crying out loud, Gajeel is not eating literal shadows but rather shadow MAGIC. Just like Natsu ate lighting MAGIC, etherion, and God Slayer fire magic (which he couldn't eat right away).

Why hasn't Laxus eaten fire magic? Well, probably because he is not a first generation Dragon Slayer. If you are not happy with the development of the series (KingOfNight) then the solution is simple, stop reading it. To say that "everyone" is chilling with two elements is silly when we take into account that so far we have only 2 characters that have done it (as far as I can remember).

Mavis comment does make me wonder if it is Zeref related because one would think that she knows how his magic "feels" like (after all she was in Tendrou island when he was there). Jeral's reaction to the magic is also strange because I think he believes the "strange magic" to be from Zeref. So I guess at this point I am not sure who to belief, Mavis or Jeral LOL.

The whole thing about Rogue being Gajeel's diciple is a bit funny because one would think Rogue would remember something like that but oh well :-) Still a good chapter in my opinion.

You sure? I thought this whole "I looked up to you" thing was Rouge basically saying we were in the same guild. Figured Gajeel just has terrible memory.

hossice
February 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
The only thing that really upset me was the whole, Gajeel you are about to die. It seemed that without getting the shadow he would of died. That is not the Gajeel that we've seen. I think Hiro just wanted to speed it up, which is never really good for characters that don't get many fights (Juvia :-_- )

REN KOUEN
February 07, 2013, 01:27 PM
surprisingly this was a great chapter, i was not expecting much of this shadow, and gajeel looks like he will be a beast with this shadow power, i wonder if the shadow will corrupt him and turn him into a villian, or if he will overpower the shadow and just harness its power

either way this makes things more interesting

Krono
February 07, 2013, 01:40 PM

People seem to be rather misunderstanding things. There's no technical reason that Natsu can't eat Gajeel's iron, Laxus can't eat Natsu's flames, etc, other than those characters don't know how to do so. They can attempt it based on their knowledge of eating other magics, but risk failure (and the resulting injury), and side effects.

Even when they succeed, it's not a case of "they get power ups by eating things,so no need for training". The "power up" only lasts a short time before they use up the additional energy they got, their body rejects the foreign magic, and they pass out from side effects. To retain it as Natsu retained the lightning, they must use it enough to figure out how to duplicate it on their own later. Which would leave them in the same shape as Natsu pre-Second Origin. Additional expenditures of power + no additional power in reserve = collapse from exhaustion after one attack.

Zasz
February 07, 2013, 01:53 PM
Damn, Gajeel really is a badass in the last page; now it has really come the time to curbstomp Rogue.
Anyway it seems like that also him can absorb elements different from his; I wonder if this is a special ability of the DS.
About the rest, I admit that the adventure in the castle is becoming a bit tedious, hope that next week (considering the title "White Knight") things will spice up a little.

Murim
February 07, 2013, 01:58 PM
Another interesting thing is, that after entering DS Mode Gajeel remembered Rogue's true name Raios and that he was his disciple. Until now Gajeel seemed not to know him.

So maybe we gonna get some info about Gajeel's past and his age etc.

REN KOUEN
February 07, 2013, 02:02 PM
Another interesting thing is, that after entering DS Mode Gajeel remembered Rogue's true name Raios and that he was his disciple. Until now Gajeel seemed not to know him.

i think the shadow probably had something to do about the information gajeel suddenly remembered about rogue

but we will see next chapter i am sure

1337 haxor
February 07, 2013, 02:43 PM
Gosh, that translation was awful! I couldn't get half of what the chapter was saying.

Anyhow, mad evil Gajeel brought back some good memories.

My guess is that the Dragon Slayers began awakening their past lives, the ungodly powerful magicians who slew thousands of dragons are finally coming out from their reincarnated shell and hence that 80 plus year barrier is beggining to make sense.

Only those with true dragon training actually have a second ancient and more badass personality, Laxus is already badass enough the way he is so no crazy power up for him.

What gave me satisfaction is that instead of using the power of friendhip, Gajeel used a know and tested strategy to justify his increase in power and that ended up bringing back his past self from the age of dragons.

kuroSaki_Ichi
February 07, 2013, 03:15 PM

I don't think he was suppressing his memory, he probably just didn't say anything.

REN KOUEN
February 07, 2013, 03:17 PM
yea i have been a bit dissaolpinted in mangapanda's transation
but i did catch the general idea of.this chapter

ghostexiled
February 07, 2013, 03:22 PM
What we may not see or understand yet... is that this "Shadow" power may of originally belonged to Gajeel and it was sealed off within someone or something. Now after sometime he unknowingly has fused back together with his previous powers... Iron Shadow.

Could be the same with Natsu... he is now Fire Lightning.

I am not saying this is TRUTH... just an idea.

REN KOUEN
February 07, 2013, 03:29 PM
What we may not see or understand yet... is that this "Shadow" power may of originally belonged to Gajeel and it was sealed off within someone or something. Now after sometime he unknowingly has fused back together with his previous powers... Iron Shadow.

Could be the same with Natsu... he is now Fire Lightning.

I am not saying this is TRUTH... just an idea.
that is certainly an interesting theory, it seems gajeel thrives in the darkness
i think he would be an excellent villian i mean i dont want him to die obviously, but man he is great as a bad guy

Rarhyx
February 07, 2013, 03:32 PM
IMO he is the Vegeta-version of the FT-verse...
So this shadow thing might the same thing as the majin thing in DB ^^'

Quantized
February 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
I got no problem with Rogues power up either, it's not even his own for all we know!
That's the deal for me, if it was his own power up, I would also prefer more development, however he's not even in control any more.. So Gajeel isn't even fighting Rogue, but someone completely else, using Rogues body.. What's the problem? I got a really hard time seeing it, we don't even know what the shadow is yet.

I like how Gajeel is not falling short on Natsu, we don't always see this in other shounens, and I find this a quality in Fairy Tail that I cherish, go Gajeel!! Damn he looks bad ass now :blink
Albeit I prefer that Natsu will remain the strongest, and not completely on pair with each others, but still in same league until toward the end of the manga.

I really liked this chapter, I had non stop fear for Natsu and the gang getting their magic powers drained from the gate, hell even believing the future Lucy is real and not someone in disguise or a manipulated future Lucy for that matter is getting tricky.
What is she hiding? Why the tunnel of all places? does it lead to the gate? Below the gate? How did some of them get lost?
I don't trust the future Lucy, whether she's manipulated or someone in disguise, something is completely off with her, and it really makes me curious!

Gotta admit, this Fairy Tail chapter was rather epic :zomg

Morlun
February 07, 2013, 03:37 PM
Why hasn't Laxus eaten fire magic? Well, probably because he is not a first generation Dragon Slayer.

Also, he's never been stupid enough to try. Natsu is that guy. :)

And Natsu once tried to eat Laxus' lightning and just got sick, pretty much like when he ate the black flames the first time.

Maybe it's like Makarov said it back then, when the magic power is depleted, they can eat another element.

He does. He said he didn't expect Gajeel to remember, but he looked up to him. Gajeel has just shown that he remembers.

exacta
February 07, 2013, 05:11 PM
The action was very boring, and I don't see why anyone would have any interest in Natsu and Loki fighting fodder, but the ending of the chapter was awesome. Gajeel finally gets his own power-up, and now we're actually going to get more of a backstory on him. Didn't think Rogue was actually Gajeels disciple, considering how boring his story was last week and how shallow Sting's reason for beating Natsu was. Or the fact that we didn't know he had one. Gajeel eating Rogue's shadow is also MUCH much easier to stomach then Natsu eating God Flames and Laxus' Lightning.

Rarhyx
February 07, 2013, 05:13 PM
Gajeel eating Rogue's shadow is also MUCH much easier to stomach then Natsu eating God Flames and Laxus' Lightning.

explain...? please...?

kuroSaki_Ichi
February 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
explain...? please...?

Think he meant for Natsu, he had to do that whole emptying reserve thingy......and Gajeel just sucked it in after a beating lol

llamapie
February 07, 2013, 06:06 PM
Da fuq. Don't tell me this is another Japanese mind fuck. If everything has been a troll from the start I'm flipping my desk. (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

But no seriously Gajeel's new mode is bad ass - but what the hell does he know that he hasn't shared with natsu? My head hurts.

exacta
February 07, 2013, 06:25 PM
explain...? please...?

Well, I didn't want to go in depth because it's wildly off topic, but I'll start with the God Flames first. First of all, from the moment they started fighting we had this whole "Godslayer" hype being jammed down our throats about how God Flames are stronger than normal flames and can't be eaten. This indeed proves true at first, but then Natsu can magically eat them by "emptying out his magical reserve". Bull. Also kind of kills the whole point of God Slayers, doesn't it? First God Slayer we meet fights with special flames that can't be eaten, and he gets defeated by.....having his flames get eaten. Yeah. Not exactly a cool or exciting way to end that fight. It's why I don't give a crap about God Slayers.

Next, Natsu is not supposed to be able to eat Laxus' lightning. He tried once and he got extremely sick. His fight with Laxus was one of the few in FT where Natsu doesn't defeat his opponent by eating something. So the idea of Natsu being able to suddenly eat Laxus' flames just because Laxus is cool with it is a bit nonsensical. The logic behind it also made no sense at all, Natsu at that point had little magic power left, and couldn't even scratch Hades. That being with the help of Erza, Lucy, Wendy and Gray. So why the hell would Laxus giving him all of his magic be a good idea? Makes absolutely no sense. Then Natsu actually gets to keep it for some reason. The whole concept was mostly bull.

So why am I cool with Gajeel eating Rogue/Raios' shadow? Well, first off, he's Gajeel, he's awesome and doesn't get enough screentime or attention. His spotlight is very often stolen by Natsu, it's about damn time Gajeel gets some kind of Dragon Force mode or something, he's the only Dragon Slayer aside from Wendy who hasn't. Secondly, there's nothing we can take from this manga that suggests eating shadow's should not be possible, although it is questionable since Gajeel is a Iron Dragon Slayer, not a Shadow Dragon Slayer. But still, the presentation is much more acceptable, especially since we had no reason to think Gajeel would lose this fight anyway, and he does deserve a power-up like this. Plus, Iron Shadow is a helluva a lot cooler than Lighting Fire, if you ask me. Lightning Fire always sounded dumb to me, and the way they combine together isn't really very interesting, though it does look cool. We'll see how Mashima combines Iron with Shadow.

Actually, seeing as how Rogue/Raios was Gajeel's disciple, he probably learned how to eat shadows himself, since he apparently mentored him or something.

Darkdrone
February 07, 2013, 06:31 PM
Good god I hated this chapter.

Why Mashima? Why? Why must you constantly troll Gajeel more than any other character in Fairy Tail? When has Gajeel gotten a real fight ever since he lost against Natsu when he joined the crew? He is always getting side stepped and so outclassed by Natsu its not even funny. God the idea that Rogue got this random ass pull shadow coming out of no where because somehow Rogue realising that Lector is his friend is truly asinine.

Why was Natsu able tot take BOTH dragon slayers IN dragon force but Gajeel can't even take one down. Hell he couldn't even touch him nearly the entire chapter. WTF MASHIMA? Why did Gajeel train so long for? To get his ass handed to him by Rouge out of all people? I miss the days when it sorta impled Natsu and Gajeel were close in strength but Natsu was slightly stronger. Now its not even funny how far Natsu out classes Gajeel.

Him now eating shadow was stupid as well because instead of using what he trained for like everyone else, he has to rely on eating the shadow instead. Which implies his ENTIRE training was worthless because he now has shadow as his additional power.

Also notice how conveniently Rouge gets this sudden power up when he fights Gajeel but not Natsu. Jeez its like Gajeel is the series punching doll or something. Why didn't he realize Lector was his friend when he was getting his ass handed to him by Natsu? Why couldn't Mashima let Gajeel get this one and be challenged by someone else who wasn't owned by Natsu so easily? I would have MUCH prefered if Gajeel easily defeated Rouge and said something like "You're not on my level or Natsu's. Step it up and train some more to make this more challenging."

hoeru
February 07, 2013, 07:01 PM
God the idea that Rogue got this random ass pull shadow coming out of no where because somehow Rogue realising that Lector is his friend is truly asinine.
So you took the "third generation dragon slayers" stuff for granted without ever asking for its background? Even after we saw Igneel mourning about Skyadrum and Weißlogia? Fine. I guess Mashima just started to provide some additional information.

BTW, it's not Rogue that is fighting Gajeel atm.

Why was Natsu able tot take BOTH dragon slayers IN dragon force but Gajeel can't even take one down.
Because Rios wasn't taken over by the shadow back then.

Him now eating shadow was stupid as well because instead of using what he trained for like everyone else, he has to rely on eating the shadow instead. Which implies his ENTIRE training was worthless because he now has shadow as his additional power.
Without the mixed-element mode he'd be still much weaker than Natsu who's got the fire-thunder mode.

danzouismadara
February 07, 2013, 07:04 PM
the chapter was epic. I will bet anything that the mysterious shadow is the same dragon slayer dude that went all evil and exterminated all the dragons but this only like 10% of its power. but then why jellal say something was in the village?? I think lucy is possessed and is leading natsu to a trap since the big bad mysterious boss is afraid of natsu's potential

joshua019
February 07, 2013, 07:31 PM
I actual was expecting gajeel getting a second element, but I was not expecting it to be rogue's. Dragons have unique elements so this probably how young dragons get their own unique element by fighting other dragon and eating their elements

redhairSH
February 07, 2013, 08:56 PM

And what if Natsu eat a Fire,Lighting,stone,mud,air type magic??? -.-' Makarov and Gildtardz didn't become so strong by eating elements...Guess what,they trained,and thats why they are BEASTS!!!

Natsu got his lightning dragon slaying power because he infused laxus's power into his body, it gives a huge boost, but because its not his element, a single attack with it was able to drain almost all of his power, but with second origin he was able to overcome this to an extent, as he was able to use lightning dragon slayer magic against sabertooths master without collapsing afterwards. Gazeel is stronger now than natsu was when he first got his extra dragon element, so after this fight he will probably be able to enter shadow iron dragon state again, just like natsu, they are almost equal in power, but i think natsu will always be just that little bit ahead of him, like if they fought all out now, they would both end up in body casts, but gazeel would fall first.

So far, only first generation dragon slayers have the abililty to absorb another element, and so far they have only been able to do this with other dragon slayer magic, wendy should absorb stings power, she could be the holy sky sorceress!!!! lol

1. generation can eat other dragon slayer elemets, and can enter dragon force, but its much harder(natsu only achieving it with help), but seems to be stronger than second or third generation dragon force
2. generation can activate dragon force whenever they want, when they were first introduced they had to activate dragon force just to use their dragon slayer powers, but laxus has shown that he can use them without using dragon force now, although 1st generation dragon force seems to be stronger
3. generation can activate Dragon Force whenever they want, although it seems like they are using 2nd generation dragon force, and not 1st generation, still badass, but natsu and gazeels double element powers are still better

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Lightning Flame Dragon Mode-Natsu
Iron Shadow Dragon Mode-Gazeel
White Sky Dragon Mode-Wendy
Lightning Dragon Force Mode-Laxus
Shadow Dragon Force Mode-Rogue
White Dragon Force Mode-Sting

This is my dream team to protect me from dragons, but first wendy has to eat stings powers,lol

MechR
February 07, 2013, 10:01 PM
Fairy Tail's members are surprised that the Royal Army has a magic unit ? :fail
IIRC they didn't have a magic unit 7 years ago. (The closest thing was the Rune Knights, who are a separate force controlled by the Council.)

The guards are so dutiful they don't even know who they're against despite all this arena stuff. :fail
I assume the guards knew their identities, but first-hand experience can still be surprising if they've only heard of them, or only seen them on TV.

*switch off his brain, enjoyed the chapter*
There ya go :p

EMS
February 07, 2013, 10:11 PM
Iron Shadow [B]dragon that's freaking amazing, can this manga get any better than this:zomg

exacta
February 07, 2013, 10:44 PM
Also notice how conveniently Rouge gets this sudden power up when he fights Gajeel but not Natsu. Jeez its like Gajeel is the series punching doll or something. Why didn't he realize Lector was his friend when he was getting his ass handed to him by Natsu? Why couldn't Mashima let Gajeel get this one and be challenged by someone else who wasn't owned by Natsu so easily? I would have MUCH prefered if Gajeel easily defeated Rouge and said something like "You're not on my level or Natsu's. Step it up and train some more to make this more challenging."

Well of course it's convenient but there's a bit of logic to this particular convenience. When Rogue was getting owned with Sting by Natsu, Gajeel was no longer participating. Rogue did not go full out against Gajeel, he did not get the chance to. Here, he finally gets a one-on-one fight with the opponent that he actually has interest in fighting. After all, the shadow said killing Gajeel is Rogue's destiny. So although convenient, it makes sense that the shadow would reveal itself now rather than earlier. This fight is much more important to Rogue. In the fight with Natsu, he was physically unable to continue, whereas in this fight he just resigned himself to defeat before the fight was over. As far as shadow's randomly appearing and coming to life(which isn't that absurd since this is a manga) and handing out power-ups, it makes sense.

Plus Gajeel kicked Rogue's ass plenty during the two vs two, so it's alright if this shadow beats him up for half of a chapter. I'm very skeptical as to whether this shadow could beat Natsu in Lightning Fire Mode, but.....yeah.

stevens41
February 07, 2013, 10:53 PM
Well of course it's convenient but there's a bit of logic to this particular convenience. When Rogue was getting owned with Sting by Natsu, Gajeel was no longer participating. Rogue did not go full out against Gajeel, he did not get the chance to. Here, he finally gets a one-on-one fight with the opponent that he actually has interest in fighting. After all, the shadow said killing Gajeel is Rogue's destiny. So although convenient, it makes sense that the shadow would reveal itself now rather than earlier. This fight is much more important to Rogue. In the fight with Natsu, he was physically unable to continue, whereas in this fight he just resigned himself to defeat before the fight was over. As far as shadow's randomly appearing and coming to life(which isn't that absurd since this is a manga) and handing out power-ups, it makes sense.

Plus Gajeel kicked Rogue's ass plenty during the two vs two, so it's alright if this shadow beats him up for half of a chapter. I'm very skeptical as to whether this shadow could beat Natsu in Lightning Fire Mode, but.....yeah.

Not to mentioned that Gajeel actually made him realize that the frog cat is his friend, he didn't just came upon the realization himself. That is the reason why Rogue didn't realize (consciously) that he did have a friend when he was fighting Natsu. I mean, Natsu was not having a chat, he was kicking rears and taking names. Also, the frog cat was not even close to Rogue when he was getting his beating from Natsu.

adbanginwar
February 08, 2013, 02:13 AM
if kakerot can do it so can i. but i loved gazeel's look.:pwned

Krono
February 08, 2013, 02:34 AM
Remember people, that's not Rogue that Gajeel's fighting at the moment. It refers to Rogue as another person. Frosch looks at him and asks "Who's that?" Mavis says he's possessed by a remarkably evil magic. Gajeel tells it to get out of Rogue's body.

In short Rogue did not get a power up, someone or something possessed him and is fighting Gajeel using Rogue's powers boosted by it's own.

Newkerzy
February 08, 2013, 03:01 AM
White Sky Dragon Mode-Wendy

This is my dream team to protect me from dragons, but first wendy has to eat stings powers,lol

This makes a lot of sense. After all, their elements seem to have a "holy" theme to it. Wendy is likely the most compatible with Sting's powers.

Morlun
February 08, 2013, 03:28 AM
First God Slayer we meet fights with special flames that can't be eaten, and he gets defeated by.....having his flames get eaten. Yeah. Not exactly a cool or exciting way to end that fight. It's why I don't give a crap about God Slayers.

Well, I agree on Godslayers, too much bark and no bite.

Next, Natsu is not supposed to be able to eat Laxus' lightning. He tried once and he got extremely sick. His fight with Laxus was one of the few in FT where Natsu doesn't defeat his opponent by eating something. So the idea of Natsu being able to suddenly eat Laxus' flames just because Laxus is cool with it is a bit nonsensical. (...)

So why am I cool with Gajeel eating Rogue/Raios' shadow? Well, first off, he's Gajeel, he's awesome and doesn't get enough screentime or attention. His spotlight is very often stolen by Natsu, it's about damn time Gajeel gets some kind of Dragon Force mode or something, he's the only Dragon Slayer aside from Wendy who hasn't.

But basically, Natsu eating other elements is bad, but Gajeel is awesome so that's alright? :)

As for his spotlight being stolen by Natsu, well, it's expected. Natsu is the main character, Gajeel (as much as I like him) is not even in the main 5 characters.

Secondly, there's nothing we can take from this manga that suggests eating shadow's should not be possible, although it is questionable since Gajeel is a Iron Dragon Slayer, not a Shadow Dragon Slayer. But still, the presentation is much more acceptable, especially since we had no reason to think Gajeel would lose this fight anyway, and he does deserve a power-up like this. Plus, Iron Shadow is a helluva a lot cooler than Lighting Fire, if you ask me. Lightning Fire always sounded dumb to me, and the way they combine together isn't really very interesting, though it does look cool. We'll see how Mashima combines Iron with Shadow.

Actually, seeing as how Rogue/Raios was Gajeel's disciple, he probably learned how to eat shadows himself, since he apparently mentored him or something.

The way you put it, you seem to consider Laxus' lightning different from Rogue's shadow; it is not. They are Dragonslayer elements. Natsu ate one that wasn't his, Gajeel ate another. Not because it was shadow, Raios was his disciple and Gajeel learned it a long time ago, but because (like Natsu) Gajeel was getting his ass kicked and needed a power-up.

There was also no reason to believe Natsu would lose to Zancrow or Hades either.

This was pretty much the exact same situation than Natsu eating another element, so I don't get why it would be ok for Gajeel and not for Natsu, since your reasoning seems to hinge on you liking Gajeel more than Natsu, and Iron-Shadow more than Fire-Lightning.

Good god I hated this chapter.

Why Mashima? Why? Why must you constantly troll Gajeel more than any other character in Fairy Tail? When has Gajeel gotten a real fight ever since he lost against Natsu when he joined the crew? He is always getting side stepped and so outclassed by Natsu its not even funny. God the idea that Rogue got this random ass pull shadow coming out of no where because somehow Rogue realising that Lector is his friend is truly asinine.

Why was Natsu able tot take BOTH dragon slayers IN dragon force but Gajeel can't even take one down. Hell he couldn't even touch him nearly the entire chapter. WTF MASHIMA? Why did Gajeel train so long for? To get his ass handed to him by Rouge out of all people? I miss the days when it sorta impled Natsu and Gajeel were close in strength but Natsu was slightly stronger. Now its not even funny how far Natsu out classes Gajeel.

Uh... did you miss the part where "Rogue" stepped out and was possessed by a demonic shadow? Gajeel versus Rogue ended last chapter with a Gajeel victory. This was the first chapter of Gajeel versus some shadowspawn of Zeref or something.

Newkerzy
February 08, 2013, 05:06 AM
The way you put it, you seem to consider Laxus' lightning different from Rogue's shadow; it is not. They are Dragonslayer elements. Natsu ate one that wasn't his, Gajeel ate another. Not because it was shadow, Raios was his disciple and Gajeel learned it a long time ago, but because (like Natsu) Gajeel was getting his ass kicked and needed a power-up.

Yeah, this is somewhat implied when Makarov was so surprised at Natsu being able to eat Zancrow's flames. It would seem that for a DS to be able to eat another element, one needs to empty his magic capacity almost down to zero first.

MiyamotoMusashi
February 08, 2013, 05:45 AM
I laughed my ass off, first "Shadow Dragon", everybody is surprised but then of course comes the "Iron Shadow Dragon"

llamapie
February 08, 2013, 06:20 AM
the chapter was epic. I will bet anything that the mysterious shadow is the same dragon slayer dude that went all evil and exterminated all the dragons but this only like 10% of its power. but then why jellal say something was in the village?? I think lucy is possessed and is leading natsu to a trap since the big bad mysterious boss is afraid of natsu's potential

The fact that Gajeel just let something important out, without mentioning it - shows the evidence that he and the other DS are from the past. (why they show up as so old). Seems even Sting has memories of natsu (how he used to look up to him) - but I assumed he meant that as a child watching natsu do stuff in FT. Seems to be more than that. Then how Zeref knew Natsu, and expected him to have the power to kill him. Seems pretty obvious where this is headed. A massive troll. I would not be surprised at this point if Mashima pulls a whole japanese mind fuck on us. ALIENS!

REN KOUEN
February 08, 2013, 08:39 AM
IMO he is the Vegeta-version of the FT-verse...
So this shadow thing might the same thing as the majin thing in DB ^^'

blasphemy

i see what you mean with the comparison but its a slap in the face to vegeta

i actually like gajeel as a character but there is no comparison

suraj5898
February 08, 2013, 09:32 AM

if i m right what u think is
natsu eat other thing u :super that how hero fight

other eat or do same thing u :no that BS u cant do it

brother for what u say about Tell me this,is Makarov and Gildtarz fools that they trained themselfs to become so strong while DSs just eat elements and get stronger
ds magic is not ur everyday magic its lost magic and present time (when ft start) no one can find/see dragons

as for if natsu can do it i can do it is to tell 1 generation ds can do same things . not ur old thing only natsu can do it and other didnt.

Rarhyx
February 08, 2013, 11:51 AM
http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/27570354/1

way better translation...

Well, both were introduced as bady guys and end up as good guys, both call the main character by their other names...
I could continue :p

llamapie
February 08, 2013, 12:18 PM
blasphemy

i see what you mean with the comparison but its a slap in the face to vegeta

I didn't see it either. He's Natsu's rival and Natsu has a similar personality to Goku but their relationship is not nearly the same.

Now my question is following this will he keep the shadow power like Natsu kept the lightning? I assumed Natsu kept his because Laxus' power is derived from a lachrima (so Natsu has part of that lachrima now) -- Makes him a 3rd gen. And since Rogue is considered a 3rd gen as well he has lachrima power as well (likely what enables them to activate dragon force on will) - So its logical to say Gajeel will keep this shadow power, no?

hashirama mukuton
February 08, 2013, 12:25 PM
i think it is the dragan who rise rogue before
or one of zeref dimons who controlle in shadow
why the title of next chapiter is holy knight ?

do you think that sting well do somethin in the fight of gajeel and rogue

llamapie
February 08, 2013, 12:46 PM
i think it is the dragan who rise rogue before
or one of zeref dimons who controlle in shadow
why the title of next chapiter is holy knight ?

do you think that sting well do somethin in the fight of gajeel and rogue

I thought it would be about Arcadios.

REN KOUEN
February 08, 2013, 12:52 PM
I didn't see it either. He's Natsu's rival and Natsu has a similar personality to Goku but their relationship is not nearly the same.

Now my question is following this will he keep the shadow power like Natsu kept the lightning? I assumed Natsu kept his because Laxus' power is derived from a lachrima (so Natsu has part of that lachrima now) -- Makes him a 3rd gen. And since Rogue is considered a 3rd gen as well he has lachrima power as well (likely what enables them to activate dragon force on will) - So its logical to say Gajeel will keep this shadow power, no?

well i get where the idea comes from that he was once a villian and now he fights with the good guys, but he still harbors the rivalry for his previous advesary

but man the rivalry b/t goku and vegeta is so much more epic that it cannot even be compared, and this is not knocking mashima as an author nor gajeel or natsu as characters

SerpentTailedAngel
February 08, 2013, 12:58 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Gajeel won't keep shadow magic. Sure Natsu kept the lightning, but he didn't get to keep black fire or etherion, and one of those was actually reasonable. It can't just be a "but when the magic comes from another DS" thing either, because the battle with Hades wasn't the first time Natsu ate Laxus' lightning.

Though now that both Rogue/Reyos/Raios/Raichu have mentioned being together when Phantom Lord was a thing, I really want to know when and how Rogue met Sting. It seems likely now that it would have come after the Tenrou Island incident.

Also, after reading mangastream's version, does anyone know what the katakana for Rogue's 'real' name is? ライオス? レイオス? レヨス? It just didn't match up with mangapanda's translation and now it's really bugging me.

REN KOUEN
February 08, 2013, 01:04 PM
The fact that Gajeel just let something important out, without mentioning it - shows the evidence that he and the other DS are from the past. (why they show up as so old). Seems even Sting has memories of natsu (how he used to look up to him) - but I assumed he meant that as a child watching natsu do stuff in FT. Seems to be more than that. Then how Zeref knew Natsu, and expected him to have the power to kill him. Seems pretty obvious where this is headed. A massive troll. I would not be surprised at this point if Mashima pulls a whole japanese mind fuck on us. ALIENS!

i agree, and i also believe their must be some connection between the dragon slayers and aknowelgia (or however you spell it)

the dragon slayer magic seems to have something ancient and dark about it, and i am curious to see the connection between gajeels dragon and rougues dragon

this could be setting us up for an entire dragon arc, sadly that could be the end of the manga :(

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Gajeel won't keep shadow magic. Sure Natsu kept the lightning, but he didn't get to keep black fire or etherion, and one of those was actually reasonable. It can't just be a "but when the magic comes from another DS" thing either, because the battle with Hades wasn't the first time Natsu ate Laxus' lightning.

Though now that both Rogue/Reyos/Raios/Raichu have mentioned being together when Phantom Lord was a thing, I really want to know when and how Rogue met Sting. It seems likely now that it would have come after the Tenrou Island incident.

Also, after reading mangastream's version, does anyone know what the katakana for Rogue's 'real' name is? ライオス? レイオス? レヨス? It just didn't match up with mangapanda's translation and now it's really bugging me.

yes unlike the lightning or the god slayer fire that natsu ate,
this shadow power seems to have a life of its own, and if gajeel keeps it , he will be fighting an internal battle for control over his own conscious

Kuzumikun
February 08, 2013, 02:10 PM
Gajeel looked like Kolulu from Zatch Bell at the end of the chapter.

noobkiller
February 08, 2013, 03:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Rogue's shadow (whoever was taking him over) was in fact Zeref, Mavis says hes possessed by an evil magic she never seen before, and Jellal and Ultear can sense Zeref's presence right after. And I'm not too sure Gajeel could stand a chance fighting a dragonslayer with death magic, and if he ate the death magic, shouldn't that instantly kill him? Zeref's death magic is way more powerful than even godslayer magic, its power can only rival that of Etherion itself.

Rarhyx
February 08, 2013, 03:10 PM

I think it depends on the translator like Gazille/Gajeel, Gerard/Jellal, Erza/Elsa, Laxus/Luxus, etc.

JunKisaragi
February 08, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hmm...all this talk about them eating stuff...

Timeline (geekmode ON):

1.) From accounts of other people, Natsu ate Laxus' lightning and got sick from doing so. It was said that he wasn't able to utilize said magic. This event was not shown.
2.) Natsu ate Etherion, a substance known to be a mixture of all the elements, so it has Fire in it. Even so, Natsu was able to use it, but got sick afterwards.
3.) Natsu ate Jellal's Flame of Rebuke, it had no side-effects, possibly because it is of the same element as Natsu's.
4.) Natsu ate Zancrow's Fire Godslayer Magic. Natsu stated "there were some flames that take a little trick to eat". Makarov said (to himself) that Natsu had to empty his magic first to be able to consume said magic, which was reckless, but otherwise still effective. No side-effects were shown after he was able to use it, possibly because it is of the same element as Natsu's.
5.) Natsu ate Laxus' lightning again, only this time, he was able to use it against Hades. Side-effects were shown after.
6.) Natsu was able to use Laxus' lightning again in a friendly match with Max Alors. Side-effects were noted only for the attack having consumed most of his power and not from eating something foreign (Natsu Pre-second origin).
7.) Natsu was able to use Laxus' lightning in his fight against Jiemma (Lightning Flame Dragon's Firing Hammer in anime, Lightning Flame Dragon's Iron Strike in some versions of the scanlations). No side-effects were shown or reported (Natsu Post-second origin).

**If there is anything wrong with the above timeline, please let me know.

Given the above, we may be able to see the process of how eating magic other than their own works. I have my own theories, but it'll be TL;DR (yes, the above is enough for now), and I/we need more "data" (in Gajeel's case) to compare. I'm also curious as to the after-effects that Gajeel might incur from consuming Shadow Magic and its (possible) connection with Iron Magic.

So let's wait for this match to conclude.

On another note: I hope to see Erza kick Minerva's ass soon. Yes, my hate-fire for that b**** is still raging.

Rarhyx
February 08, 2013, 07:32 PM
4.) no sideeffects, huh?
www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/220/4

wendy healed him (also why his scarf returned to its normal color)

Kuza
February 08, 2013, 09:41 PM
Not sure if it was a side effect or he just got terribly beaten and barely pulled a win and later passed out. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with the eating fact when there is a high possibility that the answer lays in the origin of this shade, which is obviously more interesting and canon side of this situation IMO. I've posted a reply about this on 3 or 4 page of this thread and it would be wonderful to read some opinions about this particular topic.

Also "holy knight" topic confused me a bit. It could be sting, cause of holy element. it could be Arcadios, cause he's a knight. but my best wish is it will be Erza with her brand new almighty holy armor that eliminates a certain bitch, since she is also a knight, but odds here are near 0 :(

Ps There is a little possibility that Mira will face someone from king's guard who might be holding this title. It sounds interesting to me since Mira is a demon :3c

Leonsagara
February 08, 2013, 10:43 PM
I'm guessing this shadow is somehow related to Zeref. It seems that it was attached to future Lucy previously, when Jellal confronted her. Notice that he assumes that future Lucy is in a fight because he senses the shadow's magic energy. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it might also have something to do with the imp that was hanging around Obra previously, but slipped away after Laxus defeated Raven Tail. There was definitely something sinister about that little guy.

Krono
February 09, 2013, 02:06 AM
Hmm...all this talk about them eating stuff...

Timeline (geekmode ON):

1.) From accounts of other people, Natsu ate Laxus' lightning and got sick from doing so. It was said that he wasn't able to utilize said magic. This event was not shown.

It was never said that Natsu was unable to use it. It was just said that he ate the lightning, was defeated almost instantly, and ended up sick afterwards. The "defeated almost instantly" part doesn't mean eating the lightning KOed him, or that he wasn't able to use it. It means that the gap between him and Laxus was so great Laxus defeated him easily regardless of whether or not eating the lightning did anything.

I'm guessing this shadow is somehow related to Zeref. It seems that it was attached to future Lucy previously, when Jellal confronted her. Notice that he assumes that future Lucy is in a fight because he senses the shadow's magic energy. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it might also have something to do with the imp that was hanging around Obra previously, but slipped away after Laxus defeated Raven Tail. There was definitely something sinister about that little guy.

Technically speaking, Future Lucy is in a fight at the moment. She's not really doing anything in it at the moment, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't have power flaring up in response to the threat.

SerpentTailedAngel
February 09, 2013, 02:51 AM
I think it depends on the translator like Gazille/Gajeel, Gerard/Jellal, Erza/Elsa, Laxus/Luxus, etc.

Well, I guess I wanted to know which translation was more faithful to the original. Reyos should start with レ while Raios should start with ラ. It's not an issue of "is this an L or an R?" or "was there supposed to be another consonant here?" Rey and Rai are different enough sounds that I don't get why they both showed up in scanlations. It's driving me nuts.

FirenX
February 09, 2013, 04:49 AM
Overall a pretty good chapter this week. What my 2 thoughts are:

Maybe that mysterious magic that Crime Sorciere feels every single year is Rouge or now known as Reyos.
I bet he is posessed by Zeref's magic.

And ''Future Lucy'' lured them down there because of something.

kakashidad
February 09, 2013, 04:58 AM
Wow,i was like...wtf when Gajeel seemed to be getting owned by that idiot Rios/rogue & his shadow.I mean come
on Gajeel had already shown that he could sense where a shadow attack was coming from.When he and NATSU
first took on the fake DS from sabertooth.And WHY has Rogue still not used his sword? maybe that was a mistake,
lol.

But i knew it was a ploy by mashima,to invoke a senario that would foster the desired outcome...Gajeel actually
showing his real worth!Although we have to wait for yet another issue for him to shine at last,lol.I must say by
and large this was another EPIC issue...but if you don't like namaka power-ups or as some may say random power
ups.Then this issue was a waste of time...lol.GET REAL.

It should of been apparent that whatever one dragon slayer could do.Another would be able to copy if the story so
desired it.It's all down to strenght in the end.And whether one is weaker than the other to have such a ''random''
power-up EXECUTED.

Laxus has been brought up as not needing to eat someone elses magic or unable to eat someones magic.In order to
get STRONGER...lets look at this for a moment objectively.

Laxus,the beast that he IS...Is a SECOND gen dragonslayer...it's probably not within his capabilities to eat someone
elses magic...And does he need to anyhow? the same would probably apply to the 3rd GEN dragon-slayers the first
bit about not capable?

Master Markov and Gildartz,Are known BEASTS/MONSTERS that have already shown that they,even though worthy
opponents are not yet up to the level of fighting REAL DRAGONS.Should not in all seriousness be brought into the
same debate.

There's a reason that Markov sought out Dragon slayers,it will be revealed shortly..just have patient if you've not worked
it out yet,lol.

In truth,Gajeels growth is slower than NATSU...that's why we got the ''if natsu can'' speach.But none the less it's there.
I really didn't know that appearing to be a badness was any indicator of actual strenght,lol.Gajeel at the end of the day
says as much to the shadow processing his former student/groupie,lol.I was a bully! i'll show you why i was feared.
And not to be looked up too...

Natsu for all the cheapshots aimed at him.Stood up to those types.And made a believer out of GAJEELto the extent that
he feared and ended up respecting Dragneel and entering fairy tail.Where true strenght laid.I strayed slightly sorry,lol.

The next issue might take a different direction,as it's entitled ''holy knight''.So Gajeel big moment,i suspect will be
short lived(pissed off in advance).However it begs the question why did Mirajane run off to find YUKINO..and why
Arcadois(spelling) took her and when off in a another direction?Half of that answer has already been asked/told in
the previous issue...why has future lucy been ecconomical with the truth so far?

I suspect it has alot to do with ZEREF aura that surrounds her and what the shadow attached to Rogue is...To think
that Mavis is witnessing that particular magic for the first time,should say alot considering?

Rarhyx
February 09, 2013, 09:09 AM
Well, I guess I wanted to know which translation was more faithful to the original. Reyos should start with レ while Raios should start with ラ. It's not an issue of "is this an L or an R?" or "was there supposed to be another consonant here?" Rey and Rai are different enough sounds that I don't get why they both showed up in scanlations. It's driving me nuts.

In that case I can't help you :p

but I could imagine something like this:
Gazille beats shadow out od Rogue and asks:
"Hey Raios, you alright?"
"yeah, thanks but call me pls Rogue."

MonkeyLuffy
February 09, 2013, 09:19 AM
To get my point FT fans,it is supposed that DS magicians have to develope their magic power...I mean,Natsu and Gajeel had to go to dragon force and not find easy solutions with eating stufs...Same with Natsu,that was the whole point of their powers from the beggining of this series!It would be way better if they had developed their own power and not stealing/eating/swallowing magic from others...Gajeel would be awesome in dragon force,not like this iron-shadow character...It's like Mashima forgot the Dragon force power...He is ignoring Natsu's and Gajeel's element!Just no!

THM Nindo
February 09, 2013, 12:19 PM
Overall a pretty good chapter this week. What my 2 thoughts are:

Maybe that mysterious magic that Crime Sorciere feels every single year is Rouge or now known as Reyos.
I bet he is posessed by Zeref's magic.

And ''Future Lucy'' lured them down there because of something.

I thought about that too, but then I remembered that Jellal said he recognized that weird magic when he saw future-Lucy.
So most likely she was the one that was using that weird kind of magic, not Rogue.

Morlun
February 09, 2013, 01:44 PM
I thought about that too, but then I remembered that Jellal said he recognized that weird magic when he saw future-Lucy.
So most likely she was the one that was using that weird kind of magic, not Rogue.

Or maybe they are both using the same kind of magic. And if that's the case, then it is one more point in favour of the "Future Lucy serves Zeref theory."

amitnaruto
February 09, 2013, 02:43 PM
hey
good chapter. I know some ppl do complain that natsu and gajeel are stealing other people's ability but elementally speaking which element is which. In reality you have to steal other elemental magic to get the job done. Think about it for a minute, natsu to have fire he weilds both wind and electricity as you can't have combustion (fire) without oxygen class and you do require a spark (electricity to start it). Gajeel is an iron dragon but technically that's an earth element (Iron is actually a rock found in the earth and actually has a crystal structure). Lightening itself at the atomic scale is nothing more then static electricity between two charged atoms in the sky which then due to massive electrical potentials (magnetic attraction) hit the ground (not completely true but it gives you the idea), but lightning is not only a wind element, its a water element as well because air is a vapor mixutre of water vapor and other gases as well. So technically a dragon slayer if was "intelligent, geeky and powerful" enough could actually conquer every element; despite the fact that in anime this is never shown otherwise ( this statement is true for bleach as well). here's the ultimate proof, natsu's fire is considered close to inferno which becomes plume like at some point almost a solid-liquid state so he has controlled other elements without realizing it and even can change the state of matter. Think about lava, lava is considered fire's ultimate form, it really is a combo of wind/air( lets be honest the vapors from a volcanic eruption can kill you alone), heat, fire and melted rock (google lava and you'll see lots of melted rock) so here a whole sleuth of elements are being utilized. Being a pyro maniac and to keep the characters to being humans and not superpowered gods, this is not done otherwise you could imagine a crazy never ending battle. Even in this chapter, natsu throws away a set of guards just with the after force of his "wind" as a sonic boom which is a wind element but natsu figured out how to use.

Natsu and gajeel learnt from real dragons but were fairly young so didn't learn everything and so they got intelligent enough to start manipulating the secondary aspects of their primary elements to become more powerful.

hoeru
February 09, 2013, 04:38 PM
To get my point FT fans,it is supposed that DS magicians have to develope their magic power...I mean,Natsu and Gajeel had to go to dragon force and not find easy solutions with eating stufs...

Would you please finally care to read back the last 318 chapters, dear OP fan? What's Dragon Force good for if you don't have any magical power left to support it? Natsu's fight against Gerard and Zero clearly prove that, and it would have been a complete ass pull each time if Mashima forced them into DF when they were downed and overpowered seconds before.

So DS (and GS) have the unique ability to consume magic to replenish. They are the only ones being able to do that. You won't see Mira or Elsa pull something like that nor Gildarts nor Makarov. As "eating magic" is part of the DS/GS magic to replenish, it's only logical if DS/GS start to eat different elements when there's no other power source left. It's like vegetarians have to eat insects when they're starving - there's nothing else there to survive.

Same with Natsu,that was the whole point of their powers from the beggining of this series!
In the beginning of the series, there weren't any high class mages, where it was necessary to eat other elements. But that changed in the Tower of Paradise arc.

In addition, Mashima explained through the Tenrou arc that all magic has one origin: The One Magic.

It would be way better if they had developed their own power and not stealing/eating/swallowing magic from others...
Mages usually replenish from absorbing Eternano, but that needs time (http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/263/19). It doesn't grow out of one's body from nowhere. (Ch.263)

Gajeel would be awesome in dragon force,not like this iron-shadow character...It's like Mashima forgot the Dragon force power...He is ignoring Natsu's and Gajeel's element!Just no!
I guess you're just interpreting elements just within the narrow borders of other manga which is a pity, while Mashima already showed in Natsu's fight against Totomaru, that there's different kinds of fire, even something called "orange fire" which Natsu did not eat.

JunKisaragi
February 09, 2013, 09:28 PM
4.) no sideeffects, huh?
www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/220/4

wendy healed him (also why his scarf returned to its normal color)

It was not said if he passed out as a side-effect or due to exhaustion though. Although it is interesting to think that he may have passed out due to lack of magic power to utilize acquired magic. This is after all, Natsu pre-Second Origin. Anyhow, I guess that could also be counted as a side-effect, so you may be right.

Also, I seem to remember Makarov directing Wendy to heal Natsu's scarf as it was interfering with his recovery. But this is another story.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

It was never said that Natsu was unable to use it. It was just said that he ate the lightning, was defeated almost instantly, and ended up sick afterwards. The "defeated almost instantly" part doesn't mean eating the lightning KOed him, or that he wasn't able to use it. It means that the gap between him and Laxus was so great Laxus defeated him easily regardless of whether or not eating the lightning did anything.

Although, I think the point is that he was unable to use it. I didn't elaborate as details were scarce (I could only think of it as being said by someone and not an actual event that was shown).

Anyhow, thanks. :)

MonkeyLuffy
February 10, 2013, 10:20 AM
Would you please finally care to read back the last 318 chapters, dear OP fan? What's Dragon Force good for if you don't have any magical power left to support it? Natsu's fight against Gerard and Zero clearly prove that, and it would have been a complete ass pull each time if Mashima forced them into DF when they were downed and overpowered seconds before.

So DS (and GS) have the unique ability to consume magic to replenish. They are the only ones being able to do that. You won't see Mira or Elsa pull something like that nor Gildarts nor Makarov. As "eating magic" is part of the DS/GS magic to replenish, it's only logical if DS/GS start to eat different elements when there's no other power source left. It's like vegetarians have to eat insects when they're starving - there's nothing else there to survive.

In the beginning of the series, there weren't any high class mages, where it was necessary to eat other elements. But that changed in the Tower of Paradise arc.

In addition, Mashima explained through the Tenrou arc that all magic has one origin: The One Magic.

Mages usually replenish from absorbing Eternano, but that needs time (http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/263/19). It doesn't grow out of one's body from nowhere. (Ch.263)

I guess you're just interpreting elements just within the narrow borders of other manga which is a pity, while Mashima already showed in Natsu's fight against Totomaru, that there's different kinds of fire, even something called "orange fire" which Natsu did not eat.

So,you didn't even said something about DF and how Mashima forgot this power for 2 arcs.And in the end,why Mashima had to give to DS magicians another unique ability?They have already this awesome,unique and beastly power from the start..The only thing that Mashima had to do is develop their ability to transform to their own will.All the other are unnecessary and useless.When Gajile saw how strong Rogue was after his power up,he had to transform into DF....And why the hell they had to waste all their magic power before they use DF?Gerard and Zero were 7 years before they "trained" and do a huge power up .But that's me,a disappointed reader that used to like DSs power when they used DF...

Lozmaster
February 10, 2013, 01:24 PM
So,you didn't even said something about DF and how Mashima forgot this power for 2 arcs.And in the end,why Mashima had to give to DS magicians another unique ability?They have already this awesome,unique and beastly power from the start..The only thing that Mashima had to do is develop their ability to transform to their own will.All the other are unnecessary and useless.When Gajile saw how strong Rogue was after his power up,he had to transform into DF....And why the hell they had to waste all their magic power before they use DF?Gerard and Zero were 7 years before they "trained" and do a huge power up .But that's me,a disappointed reader that used to like DSs power when they used DF...

There is literally no difference between "Dragon force" and using a second element of attacks, except for the obvious fact the attacks take on two elements and not just the one the dragonslayers learnt originally. The first thing anyone said about Lightning-Fire mode was erzas "It's just like when he ate Etherion!"

Besides that, it's extremely likely that Natsu and Gajeel will eventually learn to control dragon force in addition to the second elements. They can't yet, but it seems extremely unlikely that either of them could slay A dragon (Specifically Acknowlogia) yet, and I'm absolutely certain they (and wendy) will have to beat him by the end of Fairy tail, possibly with the help of other dragon slayers (Laxus, Sting, Rogue, and in much less likely, Cobra).

Still, it's not possible for them to activate dragon force as of yet. The obvious solution is that they somehow get Lacrima implanted into their bodies. Perhaps when they finally meet Igneel, Grandine and Metalicana they end up sacrificing themselves to become lacrima for the dragonslayers to fight Acknowlogia (and other dragons?)

Marche
February 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
My prediction for the next chapter of Fairy Tail:
I believe that in the first part there will the match between Gazille and the strange shadow that posses Rogue.
I believe that even thanks to Frosh Gazille will be able to beat the shadow, he will be able to free Rogue, while the shadow will not be completely defeated, it will only free Rogue but then perhaps after some time will possess another human (even if I would really like if Crime Sorciere will found it and will eliminate it definitively).

Anyways I am really curious to what Gazille will be able to do now.
I really would like if Gazille will be able to vanish like the shadow here http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/318/13, or perhaps I should say better that he could became intangible, he could became untouchable, or at least only his attack could vanish.
In this case, if Gazille will be able to do that there is the possibility that will be him the one who will defeat Minerva.
Infact I believe that Erza will be defeated, she is not even able to stand anymore so I really can’t see her win against Minerva, for this reason before of this chapter I believed that the one who would defeat Minerva would be Lluvia, after that she and Gray will defeat Lyon and Chellia.

In the truth there is the possibility that Gazille will collapse immediately after defeating the thing that possess Rogue, or perhaps while he will fight Minerva.
Anyways I really hope that in this will happen the point of Gazille will not be added to Sabertooth.

Anyways at the end of the chapter will be something related to Arcadias.
From what Charle says here http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/318/7 http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/27570354/8 I don’t think that she is having a new sight of the future relating to the White Knight, she only worries for what she already saw.
So there is the possibility that after that Natsu and the others will defeat all the soldiers Charle will say them what she saw in her vision, the role of Arcadias.

But perhaps we will see him in the present with Yukino, what he is doing.
I believe that he will go to the place where there is the eclipse plan or to the princess, in one of this two places.
Anyways I don’t think that Yukino is going with him at her own will, I think that after what everything happened she is now from Fairy Tail’s side.

exacta
February 10, 2013, 04:16 PM
But basically, Natsu eating other elements is bad, but Gajeel is awesome so that's alright? :)

As for his spotlight being stolen by Natsu, well, it's expected. Natsu is the main character, Gajeel (as much as I like him) is not even in the main 5 characters.

There was also no reason to believe Natsu would lose to Zancrow or Hades either.

This was pretty much the exact same situation than Natsu eating another element, so I don't get why it would be ok for Gajeel and not for Natsu, since your reasoning seems to hinge on you liking Gajeel more than Natsu, and Iron-Shadow more than Fire-Lightning.

I wrote two whole paragraphs explaining how Natsu eating Zancrows God Flames and Laxus' lightning directly contradicts stuff in the manga. It was wildly off topic and a waste of time, but geez if your going to respond to it and call me out on it at least read it then. All Gajeel eating shadows contradicts is DS eating other elements, which has been done many times already anyway by Natsu. How many fights has Natsu won by eating something? How many has Gajeel? How many times has Natsu gotten a power up? How many times has Gajeel? This is not a hard concept dude. This feels fresh. Well, in comparison to the fights we've usually been getting.

There are several reasons to think Natsu would lose to Zancrow and Hades. Gildartz speech made it sound like Natsu would encounter a fight that he would need to run away from, which ideally would then give him an opportunity to work hard and train, then come back stronger and win. Also, Charle's prediction about something awful happening. Everything worked out fine in the end though.....but that's why I don't trust Charle's predictions. She fooled me the first time, but that's the first time. It won't happen again.

Oh yeah, and there's this. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/fairy_tail/v23/c216/18.html

Yeah. Hades mopping the floor with Makarov without even getting a scratch or using his true power. Yeah. With all due respect to you my good sir, really good reason to expect Natsu to lose. Of course, back then, I had different standards for FT. Also, unlike the above scenarios, it's not exactly like anyone was expecting Gajeel to lose to Rogue here. Most probably expected Dragon Force, that's what I thought would happen.

And Lightning combined with Fire was boring...Natsu hits a guy, he gets burned, then he gets zapped with lightning. Sound creative? They're also two elements that are often combined in stories, and are technically similar to another. I'm just interested to see how Mashima will combine these two, iron and shadow. Hopefully he'll do a good job.

And so what if Gajeel's not the main character? That means he shouldn't be able to DO SOMETHING once in awhile? Dude. My standards......they aren't high.

vansonbee
February 11, 2013, 05:00 AM
Can't Shadow = evil or dark heart? Gajeel was pretty nasty person.

EMS
February 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
To get my point FT fans,it is supposed that DS magicians have to develope their magic power...I mean,Natsu and Gajeel had to go to dragon force and not find easy solutions with eating stufs...Same with Natsu,that was the whole point of their powers from the beggining of this series!It would be way better if they had developed their own power and not stealing/eating/swallowing magic from others...Gajeel would be awesome in dragon force,not like this iron-shadow character...It's like Mashima forgot the Dragon force power...He is ignoring Natsu's and Gajeel's element!Just no!
I don't find a problem with natsu and gajeel having a boasted using another opponent element as natsu eating the lighting or gajeel this shadow power and i believe not in along future, they will evolved with their dragon slayer power and going into another level, they will obtained some final stage of dragon slayers mode..

Morlun
February 11, 2013, 04:36 PM
I wrote two whole paragraphs explaining how Natsu eating Zancrows God Flames and Laxus' lightning directly contradicts stuff in the manga. It was wildly off topic and a waste of time, but geez if your going to respond to it and call me out on it at least read it then. All Gajeel eating shadows contradicts is DS eating other elements, which has been done many times already anyway by Natsu. How many fights has Natsu won by eating something? How many has Gajeel? How many times has Natsu gotten a power up? How many times has Gajeel? This is not a hard concept dude. This feels fresh. Well, in comparison to the fights we've usually been getting.

I read them. But you were complaining about the logic of Natsu eating other elements, and then justifying it was okay for Gajeel because Natsu did it. :)

Either it is okay for both, or for neither. For me, it's okay for both.

As for contradicting stuff in the manga, that's how it always happens. "You could never defeat me!" -- defeated. "You cannot reach that place in time!" -- reaches that place with time to spare. Characters had misconceptions that something could not be done. That something was done. That is pretty much standard.

There are several reasons to think Natsu would lose to Zancrow and Hades. Gildartz speech made it sound like Natsu would encounter a fight that he would need to run away from, which ideally would then give him an opportunity to work hard and train, then come back stronger and win. Also, Charle's prediction about something awful happening. Everything worked out fine in the end though.....but that's why I don't trust Charle's predictions. She fooled me the first time, but that's the first time. It won't happen again.

Oh yeah, and there's this. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/fairy_tail/v23/c216/18.html

Yeah. Hades mopping the floor with Makarov without even getting a scratch or using his true power. Yeah. With all due respect to you my good sir, really good reason to expect Natsu to lose. Of course, back then, I had different standards for FT. Also, unlike the above scenarios, it's not exactly like anyone was expecting Gajeel to lose to Rogue here. Most probably expected Dragon Force, that's what I thought would happen.

But Natsu is the main character. It's like expecting Goku to lose against King Piccolo because Master Roshi did, or Ichigo to lose against Aizen because Yamamoto did, etc... it a manga trope. The young hero will surpass the master and become the strongest thing alive.

Also, that fight to run from was Acnologia, I think.

And Lightning combined with Fire was boring...Natsu hits a guy, he gets burned, then he gets zapped with lightning. Sound creative? They're also two elements that are often combined in stories, and are technically similar to another. I'm just interested to see how Mashima will combine these two, iron and shadow. Hopefully he'll do a good job.

And so what if Gajeel's not the main character? That means he shouldn't be able to DO SOMETHING once in awhile? Dude. My standards......they aren't high.

I do think that Iron and Shadow are a more interesting combination, because they add versatility to Gajeel, while Fire and Lightning only add extra brawn to Natsu. And, like I said, I like Gajeel, and I want to see him do stuff too. I didn't like how he was pushed aside in the tournament. But I understand that this is Mashima's story, and Natsu, Lucy, Erza and Gray will be the main characters, in that order, until the end. I'd like Gajeel to be there too, but alas, I take what I can get.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Dragon force will come. Against dragons. Or stronger opponents than measly Sabertooth.

If dragon force comes now, what next? Dragon force II? Super sayajin dragon force? Let the man be creative. Iron-Shadow seems a lot more interesting, visually, than stronger attacks due to dragon force.

And before that, I want to see dragon "drive." Sting and Rogue's first power-up. I want to see Natsu and Gajeel enter "drive" mode and kick ass. Then, later, dragon force.

More power-ups will come. Let them come at their pace.

amitnaruto
February 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hey I agree with you. Power ups are power ups but if you think about it carefully you'll see they make sense. Though I do disagree with you on one, Gajeel and Gray are the same in terms of character importance, without Gajeel natsu doesn't get strong because both natsu and Gajeel are brothers in there both dragon slayers and have the same personality, both are dangerous, strong, hyper and will jump head in first plus they love girls with sexy bodies and besides who would natsu fight with. Also lets not forget Gajeel and natsu usually work in sync much better and lets not forget the edolas arc and even recently after natsu defeated the excutioners, he has a villanious side and has shown it throughout the manga especially during his fights. There also probably based on their dragon's own personality. We can expect Natsu's dragon Igneel to be similar to Natsu and Gajeel's own dragon is similar to Gajeel in personality and character
So technically Gajeel is a main character
As for power-ups and absorbing power. Here's a way to look at things people. Take fire how do you blow things up aka combustion? you require a source of fuel (diesel) + O2(oxygen gas) and then FIRE, in other words natsu to be able to even weild fire is wielding secondary elements to get the job done anyways. Even lightning as i posted before has a wind attribute to it and wind itself has water vapor so technically using secondary elements isn't stupid nor insane it requires some intelligence and acologia proves this point hardcore. Same is with Gajeel, in basic terms hes a rock specialist (iron is derived from metallic rock) but the fact that he can cut practically anything with an iron sword makes no sense (iron isn't a strong metal) FYI the strongest material on the planet is diamond and the only things close to it are metal carbides technically carbon nanotubes and graphene are stronger then even stainless steel (which is considered the strongest metal) so how he cuts rock and steel katana's using just iron? Another thing, he doesn't just eat iron, everytime in the manga he ever ate his own element (the first fight against natsu) he ate METAL and METAL is an alloy of several different metals (aluminum, iron, steel etc...) we know this for a fact the technology in that civilization is there people. The iron he ate was nothing but in the form of rust (iron oxide-which has oxygen in it hahah (air element again)) So you can see both NAtsu and GAjeel are using several elements without even knowing it to get their primary elements to work and powering them up demonically in the process, so we should enjoy the show because for once we might get some serious elements be shown in a serious crazy way, lava and molten metal could be cool for both natsu and gajeel to pull off. Enjoy the show and have fun with it elemental magic is the strongest magic in the world, once you harness one, you can harness them all
but back to your original comment, no Gajeel is not a secondary but a primary character

I read them. But you were complaining about the logic of Natsu eating other elements, and then justifying it was okay for Gajeel because Natsu did it. :)

Either it is okay for both, or for neither. For me, it's okay for both.

As for contradicting stuff in the manga, that's how it always happens. "You could never defeat me!" -- defeated. "You cannot reach that place in time!" -- reaches that place with time to spare. Characters had misconceptions that something could not be done. That something was done. That is pretty much standard.

But Natsu is the main character. It's like expecting Goku to lose against King Piccolo because Master Roshi did, or Ichigo to lose against Aizen because Yamamoto did, etc... it a manga trope. The young hero will surpass the master and become the strongest thing alive.

Also, that fight to run from was Acnologia, I think.

I do think that Iron and Shadow are a more interesting combination, because they add versatility to Gajeel, while Fire and Lightning only add extra brawn to Natsu. And, like I said, I like Gajeel, and I want to see him do stuff too. I didn't like how he was pushed aside in the tournament. But I understand that this is Mashima's story, and Natsu, Lucy, Erza and Gray will be the main characters, in that order, until the end. I'd like Gajeel to be there too, but alas, I take what I can get.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Dragon force will come. Against dragons. Or stronger opponents than measly Sabertooth.

If dragon force comes now, what next? Dragon force II? Super sayajin dragon force? Let the man be creative. Iron-Shadow seems a lot more interesting, visually, than stronger attacks due to dragon force.

And before that, I want to see dragon "drive." Sting and Rogue's first power-up. I want to see Natsu and Gajeel enter "drive" mode and kick ass. Then, later, dragon force.

Morlun
February 12, 2013, 03:35 AM
Hey I agree with you. Power ups are power ups but if you think about it carefully you'll see they make sense. Though I do disagree with you on one, Gajeel and Gray are the same in terms of character importance (...) Gajeel is not a secondary but a primary character

I have to disagree here. Gray has an important fight and role in every arc. Gajeel doesn't. If Mashima doesn't leave Gajeel out of any future arcs, and gives him something important to do, then I will agree with you. But as of this moment, if there's a 5th character in the "main" group, it's (ugh) Wendy.

As for multiple elements, I'd love to have a 5-element Dragon Slayer. :)

THM Nindo
February 12, 2013, 08:42 AM
Actually, I agree with amitnaruto.

In fact, in term of importance, I think Gajeel is way more important than Grey.
Actually, I think that even Wendy is more important than Grey.

He's basically the least important in the 6 main characters.

SerpentTailedAngel
February 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
As a dragon slayer, Gajeel probably does have a bit more connection to whatever overall plot there is, but as far as being active in the story, Gray definitely comes out ahead of Gajeel. The last two arcs in a row have had as much of the guild shoved into them as Mashima could manage, but arcs that don't include the whole guild don't have half as much Gajeel in them while still giving the same amount of attention to Gray.

(Also, keep in mind who all made it to the fight with Hades. Gray got to be there for the whole battle. Gajeel spent most of the S-Class arc in bed.)

KingOfNight
February 12, 2013, 12:47 PM
I can't see Gajeel being important at all after the last two arcs...

Leonsagara
February 12, 2013, 01:11 PM
Gajeel's a fairly important character, just not one of the main characters. Natsu, Lucy, Gray, Erza, and Wendy are the main characters(plus Happy and Charle). Gajeel being a DS obviously has a connection to the main plot. He's kind of a secondary main character, like Juvia, Mirajane, and Elfman.

REN KOUEN
February 12, 2013, 01:57 PM
Gajeel's a fairly important character, just not one of the main characters. Natsu, Lucy, Gray, Erza, and Wendy are the main characters(plus Happy and Charle). Gajeel being a DS obviously has a connection to the main plot. He's kind of a secondary main character, like Juvia, Mirajane, and Elfman.

he is more of a major character than mirajane and elfman in my opinion

but he is not as big as natsu erza and lucy, he is right behind gray in my opinion if you were to rank their importance to the story

Morlun
February 12, 2013, 02:41 PM
Actually, I agree with amitnaruto.

In fact, in term of importance, I think Gajeel is way more important than Grey.
Actually, I think that even Wendy is more important than Grey.

He's basically the least important in the 6 main characters.

I like Gajeel better than Gray, but I wasn't talking about "importance", I was talking about Gajeel not being one of the main characters. At the moment, he is not, like other have already said. He was out of the Tower of Heaven arc, the Oracion Seis arc, and was one of the first to fall in the Tenrou arc.

He hasn't had the "screentime" to call him a "main character", as much as you'd want to.

Mashima may change that, but for 318 chapters, the main characters have been the original 4, with Wendy tacked on midway through.

Fortunately, Mashima does give screen time to a lot of Fairy Tail members, not just the main characters. Among the secondary characters, I agree, Gajeel is in the first tier. He's had more showings than Mirajane, and probably the same amount as Elfman and Juvia.

MonkeyLuffy
February 12, 2013, 03:34 PM

I just expected an easy win from Gajile with DF and then give his full power with Dragons...It doesn't need power ups all the time

Also,Ichigo trained by a master(his father) about some months before he beat Aizen,he didn't became the strongest in the same day that he lost by an S clas, like Natsu did.Μy point is that,FT and especially Natsu must be taste the defeat...(and don't give me the example of Achnologia.He is the last villain,of course he would lose by the strongest villain).In real life,you can't get stronger if you dont taste the defeat.It seems that Natsu do the exactly the opposite...

Leonsagara
February 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
Natsu's been defeated lots of times that we've never seen. Why do you think he's so scared of Erza? Apparently Laxus beat him a couple of times too. Also, Natsu did admit defeat against Gildarts.

MonkeyLuffy
February 13, 2013, 05:51 AM
Natsu's been defeated lots of times that we've never seen. Why do you think he's so scared of Erza? Apparently Laxus beat him a couple of times too. Also, Natsu did admit defeat against Gildarts.

SO,he did defeated many times off panel?-.- im not sure if this is true...

Even if it is true,thats not mean that he reached the ultimate level and that he is capable to beat every enemy that he is facing.Defeats are defeats and he would never stop to taste it...Even Makarov and Gildtartz lost many times at their best!

Quenser
February 13, 2013, 09:16 AM

Even if it is true,thats not mean that he reached the ultimate level and that he is capable to beat every enemy that he is facing.Defeats are defeats and he would never stop to taste it...Even Makarov and Gildtartz lost many times at their best!

All we know about Gildartz losing to someone when he was at his strongest is that he lost to Acnologia during one of his travels and managed to barely escape death. As for Makarov, he lost to Hades - his former master, who taughts him , knew all his tricks and had superior knowledge about origins of magic. also, there was this one time when his magical enegry was destabilized by a dirty trick
( during Phantom Lord Arc ), but I don't think that counts as a fight per se.

Natsu admitted losing to Gildartz - he knows he can't beat him and it seems he realized that there are many people stronger than him, but he doesn't stop beause of that. It's just his nature - he's hot-headed and likes to test his strength by engaging in battles with strong opponents. When there's a need to be serious, he is pushing himself to the limit and while doing so, he gets to know more about his own power.

It's hard to define " Ultimate Level" ( as you called it) in FT . Is it the same level of magic power Acnologia , or Dragons in general, have? Can we put people on par with Zeref in the " Ultimate" category? Every time a seemingly undefeatable wizard with insane output of magical power shows up, he gets the " Strongest " label. But it's only a matter of time when someone who can surpass him will appear.

SerpentTailedAngel
February 13, 2013, 09:49 AM

Natsu loses in the Tower of Heaven arc against the owl dude. He loses so badly he gets eaten, and needs to be rescued by Gray. He and everyone else also get beaten down by Oracion Six at the beginning of their arc, and Lyon manages to trap Natsu in a giant ball of ice during the earlier half of the Galuna arc. He was also only passed on to the next stage of the S-Class test because Gildartz didn't make beating him the criteria for passing. This was all on panel.

And in any case, how close he is to the 'ultimate level' has less to do with whether or not he loses and more to do with how close to story is to ending.

MonkeyLuffy
February 13, 2013, 11:03 AM
Guys...When i say "you can't get stronger if you dont taste the defeat." i dont mean that defeat is a power up...The defeat makes you realize how weak you are,and how far you are to reach the level you want to reach...And how you reach this level?Not with "magic" power ups,but with training(yeah it sounds very clishe,but it is mentioned so many times,because it is the most logical way to get stronger).

STA,this is not what i mean about defeat...Natsu in these examples lost,but in the end he win with some power ups(some people saying that they are asspull with friendship power,I will not go in the process to say whether i agree and why).He need to do what i said,and what Gildtarz said about fear,and knowing your weaknesses...It seems Natsu forgot it in some minutes,and he fought the one of the strongest magicians in the same day...-.- Overall,what i miss in FT,is the logic in basic features of a shounen manga,like power ups and how they work!

redhairSH
February 13, 2013, 04:02 PM
Natsu loses in the Tower of Heaven arc against the owl dude. He loses so badly he gets eaten, and needs to be rescued by Gray. He and everyone else also get beaten down by Oracion Six at the beginning of their arc, and Lyon manages to trap Natsu in a giant ball of ice during the earlier half of the Galuna arc. He was also only passed on to the next stage of the S-Class test because Gildartz didn't make beating him the criteria for passing. This was all on panel.

And in any case, how close he is to the 'ultimate level' has less to do with whether or not he loses and more to do with how close to story is to ending.

Natsu lost because he didn't expect to have the owl try and eat him, they didn't get to finish the fight before owl boy decided to swallow him.
Oracion Six surprised the light team, they took out their two most experienced and arguably strongest(both are strong, ichiya is just so wierd its hard to remember) mages before they launched their surprise attack
Natsu got trapped, but never got beaten on Galuna
Gildartz and the others were supposed to only test the candidates, not go all out, he even said that after natsu's exploding flame blade, he would usually have passed at that point, gildartz just wanted to teach natsu a little something extra, plus gildartz was obviously above everyone in the guild, with the possible exception of makaraov, at that point anyways

Natsu has never lost a fight on or off panel, when he has been able to go completely all out, his lightning flame dragon or dragon force or secret dragon techs have always won, erza stated that all out he could surpass her, and makarov stated that all out he could(possibly) take out laxus, which means that before the timeskip he was close to being the number 3 mage in the strongest guild in the kingdom, now that he has gotten stronger and gained lightning dragon slayer magic, he is so much more badass, gildartz is probably still above him, but i'd say that if natsu went all out against him now, he would do much better before gildartz took him down

exacta
February 14, 2013, 05:27 PM

All of this is true, but the problem is, all of those are Fairy Tail mages. It might as well not count since they're on Natsu's side and not supposed to create a conflict for Natsu and Fairy Tail to overcome. What this manga needs is an enemy that is capable of actually defeating Fairy Tail during the first encounter.

Any other example is either a comical fight, or a temporary defeat where Natsu emerges victorious in the same day that the defeat actually happens(Oracion Seis), obviously without any training or development.

Rarhyx
February 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
What this manga needs is an enemy that is capable of actually defeating Fairy Tail during the first encounter.

Acnologia doesn't count?
If it weren't for Mavis they would be all dead.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

a bit off-topic but is anyone of you that kwaderno guy from
http://naruto-chrome.blogspot.de/2013/02/read-fairy-tail-319-fairy-tail-319-natsu.html
?

he just & copy paste's posts from this forum (yes even the typos)

tobirama
February 14, 2013, 07:51 PM
what FT really needs is a worthy long term antagonist whom cant lose to nakama power maybe a guild with similar principles as fairy tail but evil i.e believing in love/friendship etc but wanting to well watever :confused:

Leonsagara
February 14, 2013, 11:24 PM
All of this is true, but the problem is, all of those are Fairy Tail mages. It might as well not count since they're on Natsu's side and not supposed to create a conflict for Natsu and Fairy Tail to overcome. What this manga needs is an enemy that is capable of actually defeating Fairy Tail during the first encounter.

Any other example is either a comical fight, or a temporary defeat where Natsu emerges victorious in the same day that the defeat actually happens(Oracion Seis), obviously without any training or development.

Except Natsu does see Erza as someone he wants to surpass. Witness the training doll that Lucy sees in his house. Natsu doesn't need more determination to get stronger, he's got plenty already.

MonkeyLuffy
February 15, 2013, 04:34 AM
Acnologia doesn't count?
If it weren't for Mavis they would be all dead.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

a bit off-topic but is anyone of you that kwaderno guy from
http://naruto-chrome.blogspot.de/2013/02/read-fairy-tail-319-fairy-tail-319-natsu.html
?

he just & copy paste's posts from this forum (yes even the typos)

WTF,i swear to my mother,WTF,i didn't... :@
wtf WTF wtf WTF!!!

Well,i see.I have a fan there!:hip

Rarhyx
February 15, 2013, 04:43 AM
WTF,i swear to my mother,WTF,i didn't... :@
wtf WTF wtf WTF!!!

Well,i see.I have a fan there!:hip

you aren't the only whos posts were copied. in "his" naruto section it's the same. just copy & paste from mangahelpers

exacta
February 15, 2013, 09:28 AM

:-_-

Okay this really is a waste of time. All I said is Gajeel eating it is easier to stomach. This is because

1) He needs a power up and never does anything, Natsu is the main character but Gajeel is also supposed to be his rival.
2) This scenario is more believable, because God Flames and the Lighting were hyped up to being something that Natsu should NOT be able to eat. There pretty much hasn't even been a single comment about eating shadows.
3) What seems more like bullshit to you? Natsu defeating Hades and Zancrow, or Gajeel beating Rogue, who he ALREADY beat the shit out of?

This was easier to stomach as in easier to read without raging.

My standards are low. I don't need logic to enjoy this manga anymore. The complete lack of it has indeed become standard. I just need to see characters like Gajeel, Laxus and Mirajane do more.