PDA

View Full Version : Character Garp Discussion Thread

hrseber
February 28, 2006, 02:24 PM
So any theories on who Luffy's grandfather is? I know this is going to be a big one and I'm sure its linked to the D. that a lot of these characters have as their middle initial.

My guess, by the way Aokiji talked about him, is that Luffy's grandpa was a former marine who helped Gol D. Roger somehow in the past.

Anyone else want to take a guess?

Galth
February 28, 2006, 02:37 PM
Or it could be (a family member of) gold d. roger himself...

Perhaps Luffy grandfather was a brother to Roger... :eyeroll

Hermie
February 28, 2006, 02:47 PM
Well, Oda has shown us that new D.'s have a tendency to appear at random, so I'll say we haven't seen him yet. It will be very interesting to see how all the D.'s are connected, though. :D

Miso
February 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah...there is definitely something mysterious about the D. - it's clearly mentioned in the manga.

Luffy's grandpa must either be someonw famous in the pirate world or someone who was a companion of someone famous (like Gold Roger).

tonitoniluffy
February 28, 2006, 09:40 PM
Maybe the D represents that they are some kind of clan or pack which has the same bloodline, also Ace does not have the same name as Monkey D Luffy

Is monkey really luffy's last name ? hahaha

Gold roger is too young to be his grandpa !

Galth
February 28, 2006, 09:50 PM
Gold roger is too young to be his grandpa !

That's true... have we seen Luffy's father in the manga?

Gold Knight
February 28, 2006, 11:33 PM
I thought they were referring to Gold Roger. =/

Galth
February 28, 2006, 11:56 PM
Gold D Roger has been executed about twenty years before Luffy ( 18 years old ) set off... so technically he could be his grandfather...?

hrseber
March 01, 2006, 01:57 AM
I don't think Gol D. Roger is Luffy's grandfather. It just doesn't sit right with me. That and Luffy got nervous when he heard his grandfather being mentioned and he doesn't know that much about Gol D. Roger. Then again he's pretty dense at times.

But here's a wild theory about the D. So Nico Robin talks about the Poneglyphs and the search for the true history by connecting all of them you will find the true history. She also thinks that, it's the One Piece that Gol D. Roger found and left on the last island on the grand line. What if the "D."s that all these characters have are a symbol of the link between the Ponegylphs? Kind of like a true living history between these people that connects them together?

Again wild theory, I'm probably just blowing smoke.

PS - I also think that when they captured Gol D. Roger he somehow let on about Ohara seeing as the incidents happened at the same time. just a thought.

shinwei
March 01, 2006, 04:19 AM
Also when Luffy's Grandpa was mentioned, Luffy had a weird reaction and it was clear that he knows who his grandfather is and what he's all about. Therefore it cannot be Gold Roger since he was executed before Luffy was born.

G-ology
March 01, 2006, 02:02 PM
I think it's most likely Saul/Sauro we know from Robin's FB!

1.) He's got the "D" in his Name
2.) He dealt with Aokiji and fulfilled Saul/Luffy's Grandpa a favour he was talking about on Long Island
[ 3.) That Saul was a Marine is maybe the reason why Luffy reacted so "nervous"]

hrseber
March 01, 2006, 02:42 PM
I think it's most likely Saul/Sauro we know from Robin's FB!

1.) He's got the "D" in his Name
2.) He dealt with Aokiji and fulfilled Saul/Luffy's Grandpa a favour he was talking about on Long Island
[ 3.) That Saul was a Marine is maybe the reason why Luffy reacted so "nervous"]

I agree with all of that except that Saul  looks nothing like Luffy... isn't Saul a giant? Anyway I know that won't stop Oda so its very possible.

Galth
March 01, 2006, 02:43 PM
Saul isn't of the giants race as far as i know, just a huge human ( like we've seen many before ), and called a giant before he is that big...

Sephcloud
March 03, 2006, 07:12 PM
Actually i think it goes like.. Blackbeard is Luffy's Cousin, Ace is not actually his brother, Shanks is somehow related to Luffy and some brother to Gol D. Roger was Luffy's Grandfather. Although maybe he was more like a calm person who didn't like pirating so he settled in Luffy's village. Or something like that.

AKArbalest
March 05, 2006, 03:28 AM
So so far conirmed for the line of D is

Gol D. Roger
Haguwara D. Sauro
Monkey D. Luffy
Portgas D. Ace
Marshall D. Teach (AKA Blackbeard)

I had to look back and double check that Blackbeard is a D, but its true.

I like the theory that the One Piece treasure itself is the Rio Poneglyph itself. Im not sure how it all gets connected, but I think there is a good chance. The poneglyphs and the lost history are the one thing that the marines fear above all else.

I dont think that Roger himself is Luffy's grandfather, but there is a likely blood relation. Ace is definitely Luffy's biological brother (they seem to look too much alike not to be, although we have no other info). I think Blackbeard could be the son of Sauro. Seems possible bc Teach is huuuge too.

Btw, Sauro is definitely a 'giant.' He says it himself in the flashback. He only says the he isnt from Elbaf, but from some other place.

Galth
March 05, 2006, 03:53 PM
Doesn't he mean Giant as in 'a very tall human', not the race? That's what i thought at least...

But if he was Luffy's grandfather, wouldn't Luffy himself be, like, at least 1/4th Giant :wtf can't imagine that so easily, and Ace would be too...

Kazu-kun
March 05, 2006, 05:22 PM
Doesn't he mean Giant as in 'a very tall human', not the race? That's what i thought at least...

But if he was Luffy's grandfather, wouldn't Luffy himself be, like, at least 1/4th Giant :wtf can't imagine that so easily, and Ace would be too...

If Ace and Luffy both have different last names, wouldnt that mean their mom have the D name?

Sephcloud
March 06, 2006, 01:49 PM
No Sauro even mentions something about coming from Elbaf and he says like "don't compare me to those fightlovers from Elbaf I'm nothing like them" so Sauro Definatly can't be Luffy's Grandpa

Hermie
March 06, 2006, 02:01 PM
^Why can't he be Luffy's grandpa even though he isn't from Elbaf?

Sephcloud
March 09, 2006, 05:48 PM
Cuz then Luffy would be at least 1/4 giant and he's not even especially tall

kazekage_shinagami
March 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
This is just a silly opinion but the" D." could be their last name being shortend and then they have their nickname taked on by family while they still young.

That and no oen seems to have noticed the absences of Luffy's father *cough* Dragon*cough*

Infact the "D." might even stand for Dragon

who knows but I am sure we will find out soon enough.

shoked
March 23, 2006, 01:30 PM
Cuz then Luffy would be at least 1/4 giant and he's not even especially tall

true but gomu gomu may affect that...whatever i dont think so either.

what i really think is that roger was the father or granfather of luffy and i just remember something. luffy is similar to him not only in how he could look but also his heart i think... because smoker in old episode when luffy was going to be execute in the same place that roger was execute smaoker says that he has just seen 1 people with the same smile and it was roger.

if you dont remember the chapter it is when they just arrive toi grand line and they met with buggy and albudaba and those 2 were going to exxecute luffy and smoker surrender them...

it might be related but i am 1999% sure that roger and luffy are related a lot it might be blood, father, grandfather, or reincarnation but luffy is related with him for sure

soul-star
March 26, 2006, 01:00 PM
hagwall d. saulo is in fact the grandfather of luffy, furthermore he is the father of goldroger and whitebeard.
whitebeard is the father of puma d. ace and monkey d. luffy that makes goldroger to his uncle, thats all mentioned in the manga if you read it right.
but i dunno who blackbeard is thats never mentioned in the manga but he could be the brother of whitebeard and goldroger or the son of goldroger, just my 2 cents.

g-logy you remeber puma d. ace meeting buggy the clown, buggy mentions that puma d. ace is whitebeards vice-captain and son and we all know that luffy is pumas lil brother, thats it, if you read the manga right you will understand many more things.

G-ology
March 26, 2006, 01:11 PM
whitebeard is the father of puma d. ace and monkey d. luffy that makes goldroger to his uncle, thats all mentioned in the manga if you read it right.

:blink

Oh, please shut up :D

This was _NEVER_ mentioned in the manga, so please stop spreading these dumb rumors.

btw. Blackbeard was Whitebeard's Vice-Captain until he finished one member off and fled.

hrseber
March 26, 2006, 01:32 PM
btw. Blackbeard was Whitebeard's Vice-Captain until he finished one member off and fled.

umm I think Blackbeard was Ace's underling. Ace mentions that Blackbeard killed a crewmate and fled which is why Ace, his commander, has to hunt him down to punish him. I don't he was so high up as vice-captain. In fact I think he was rather low on the Whitebeard totem pole.

G-ology
March 27, 2006, 02:41 PM
This is stephen's translation of #159

I told you, I only came to do that.
I'm chasing a major criminal right now... He's been calling himself "Blackbeard" lately.
But he originally used to bea member of the Whitebeard Second Corps.
My subordinate.
He committed the worst possible crime on a pirate ship... "crewmate-killing".
I'm the commander, so I have to finish him off.

Soo.. u're right, hrseber^^

I guess our german publisher (Carlsen Comics :darn) just made one more mistake :eyeroll

white silver
April 11, 2006, 08:32 PM
umm I think Blackbeard was Ace's underling. Ace mentions that Blackbeard killed a crewmate and fled which is why Ace, his commander, has to hunt him down to punish him. I don't he was so high up as vice-captain. In fact I think he was rather low on the Whitebeard totem pole.

[font=tahoma][color=green]Gee, I wonder what the "other" commanders of the rest of the divisions are like??

Roocketman
April 20, 2006, 06:41 AM
In a chapter someone sais that it's a kinda of problematic family,but maybe Luffy's grandpa is Hagwall (english translation of Haguwara) D. Saul,because of that Luffy's that monster strenght.

white silver
April 20, 2006, 10:29 AM
In a chapter someone sais that it's a kinda of problematic family,but maybe Luffy's grandpa is Hagwall (english translation of Haguwara) D. Saul,because of that Luffy's that monster strenght.

[font=tahoma][color=green]I'm pretty sure his strength comes after he ate the gomu gomu fruit!

Kickmeister
April 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
[font=tahoma][color=green]I'm pretty sure his strength comes after he ate the gomu gomu fruit!

I don't agree.. Look at Ace, he beat the crap out of Luffy all the time even before he had the Mera Mera no mi..

white silver
April 20, 2006, 11:28 AM
I don't agree.. Look at Ace, he beat the crap out of Luffy all the time even before he had the Mera Mera no mi..

[font=tahoma][color=green]Ace is in a different league, kinda like Sanji and Zoro (no fruits but abnormally strong). Now he has fruit and strength

Hermie
April 20, 2006, 11:34 AM
I didn't think the non-Zoan fruits added anything to physical strength, but rather just what the body is made of.

Which makes Luffy abnormally strong, too (I don't see how tearing two buildings apart from eachother without any momentum can be put on the rubber body)

Kickmeister
April 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
[font=tahoma][color=green]Ace is in a different league, kinda like Sanji and Zoro (no fruits but abnormally strong).  Now he has fruit and strength

Yeah well what I meant was that Luffy most likley would've been as strong even without the gomu gomu no mi..

Roocketman
April 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah,and it's genetic that monster strenght they show,I mean,Luffy when he was a chlid was very very strong,but the gomu gomu doesn't bring him the strength,only the skill to stretch his body don't you agree? Look at Buggy,he is not that fuck strong and ate a Paramecia DF too.

white silver
April 20, 2006, 08:45 PM
[font=tahoma][color=green]If Luffy was THAT strong, he would've taken out the minions of that 8 million beli gangsters from the beginning!

tyleroc
April 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
he was only 7 years old. obviously your strength changes a tremendous amount in those 10 years

Roocketman
April 21, 2006, 08:56 AM
Totally agree with tyleroc,he was only a child ,it doesn't matter how big you are,he was just a child,but he learned how to fight and improved his strength,if you don't agree look at how weak were zoro at the begining of his train.

ftabah
April 24, 2006, 10:26 PM
Well, I bet that at one part of the manga, Eichiro will discuss about Luffy's past. Not only the D. in his name, but also a really big background that made two brothers not only stronger than most pirates but also trying to get the one piece.

I really believe that Shanks wasn't the first one to make Luffy wants to become a pirate.

=p

white silver
April 24, 2006, 11:07 PM
Totally agree with tyleroc,he was only a child ,it doesn't matter how big you are,he was just a child,but he learned how to fight and improved his strength,if you don't agree look at how weak were zoro at the begining of his train.

[font=tahoma][color=green]Zoro gained strength with his determination. However they're refering to Luffy being strong when born!

Roocketman
April 27, 2006, 12:21 PM
Yes,thats what I said too. He has natural strenght, but he start improving that monster strenght since Shanks gave his arm away to save Luffy and his strawhat too,THEN Luffy started to train himself ,what happens? Eiichiro didn't show us anything of that yet. We may wait till the end of this arc to see something I think.

Strawhat_4491
May 07, 2006, 08:05 PM
Luffy's grandfather was a pirat, he was probably third strongest in the world behind whitebeard. When luffy heard his name he probably had a flash back of something he did that was bad.Luffy's grandpa is mysterious.

white silver
May 07, 2006, 08:25 PM
[b][font=tahoma][color=green]Maybe he was abused "master/student" style, or his grandfather could have taught him and ace how to fight!

Pevee
May 08, 2006, 11:39 PM
I believe with all my heart that Gold D. Roger is Luffy's grandpa

white silver
May 08, 2006, 11:57 PM

[b][font=tahoma][color=green]Or maybe his Granduncle! Luffy already knew both Gol D. Roger and his Granfather, thus they're just 2 different people! Granduncle again is more possible since he could be the younger brother of Luffy's Grandfather, get it!

G-ology
May 11, 2006, 03:08 PM

Gol D. Roger died (at least) 20 years ago..
and Luffy 17 years old.

"It's simple mathematics" :D

Lohnt
May 12, 2006, 02:01 AM
What does being his grandfather have to do with his birth being after Gol D Rogers death?

G-ology
May 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
What does being his grandfather have to do with his birth being after Gol D Rogers death?

Oh damn.. is misread :o

Sorry.. but hey, im german :Haha

Lohnt
May 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
No problem, I figured you thought he meant father ^^

ftabah
May 17, 2006, 12:32 PM
Well, I really think that Oda will not make Gol something like Luffy's granfather. I think he want us to believe that and then surpise us.

Rui
May 24, 2006, 07:35 PM
My guess had to do with Saul being Luffy's grandfather, but it's apparent now that it is false because of Wei's comment.
Now I really don't know what's gonna happen. What I do know is that Ace is Luffy's brother. Yes, marvel at my genius.

There're going to include more D's. We don't know anything about the family line as of yet.

hyper_megaman
May 25, 2006, 12:09 PM
how can saul be luffy's grandfather..

u have 2 generation down to get to luffy, knowing biology the chances are there for luffy to turn out tiny

but to get enough of this chance u gotta at least get these 2 gens to be us humans.. his son/daughter who proceeds to find another mate to produce luffy and ace..
how would sauro and his 'son' do 'his stuff' with, e.g., the girl who lives down the street.. it's totally impossible for sauro and not very possible for his son. The only way it would work out was if he had a daughter, BUT the sauro impossibility thing is there in the first place. And why would a female giant be interested in a human male, and vice versa.. not to mention luffy and ace would have been killed on the way out, knowing their muscle strengths..

aaand.. for all u know their males might have boobs on their groins too, totally different from humans.. humans and giants are different species.. just look alike when in clothing, that much is all we know actually, if u look at it technically..

sao
May 25, 2006, 12:15 PM
let's go metal gear solid with this :P

How about luffy's grandfather is like the big boss and all that possess the D in their name are clones of him :P

Jammer
June 06, 2006, 06:00 AM
well the moment Kureha mentioned that Roger's real name is Gol D. Roger (K-F subs) I started beleiving that he is Luffy's grandfather! and when Luffy faces Aokiji he mentions that Luffy's grandfather gave him a hard time -> well at that time Aokiji is Kuzan and is still a vice-admiral - someone that takes action in a Buster call -> Gol D Roger was captured/executed 22 years ago, so probably during a Buster call prior to Ohara the pirate king gave a hard time to his captors, so it figures...
also luffy getting nervous when Aokiji mentioned his grandfather - maybe he doesn't want his nakama to know about the relationship because he wants to accomplish all by himself - without using his grandfather's fame/name etc.
Another mystery is that Dragon guy - he might be something like a guardian of the D.s - or their father, but I don't think he is human ... (the D letter may stand for Destiny). also he says something rather interesting like: "the world is waiting for our answer" (ch.100)- is it the answer of the Ds or of some shrouded in darkness organization :) well I think that many answers will pop out after Luffy goes to the Pirate summit (that his brother was talking about)

chubs191
July 06, 2006, 05:12 PM
But here's a wild theory about the D. So Nico Robin talks about the Poneglyphs and the search for the true history by connecting all of them you will find the true history. She also thinks that, it's the One Piece that Gol D. Roger found and left on the last island on the grand line. What if the "D."s that all these characters have are a symbol of the link between the Ponegylphs? Kind of like a true living history between these people that connects them together?

Also remember Robin talking about the fact that there was a country that wasn't in exitence or something like that that the marines deleted from history I think that the D. in the peoples names is a symbol of not only Poneglyphs but of relation to that country in question.

Noex
July 19, 2006, 08:42 AM
Well they dont ahve the same last name but they all have the D letter in their name so they must be related in someway (man its a big family tree ^^) anyway if they are all related then the Ds are one big ass family also a bunch of troublemakers i mean Gol D. Roger a.ka the Pirate King, Portugas D. Ace commander of the 2nd withbeard crew, Blackbeard, and the giant who was once a goverment dog but turned on them and help Nico Robin escape and then we have the Miguwara captain so even if they are just related the Ds has a big role in the current pirate era sence its probally the biggest pirate family hehe but who is luffys grandpa some say Gol D Roger and some say the giant but i think that we haven´t seen him yet but probally will very soon.

hyper_megaman
July 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
fullstop button spoilt?
... lol

rennokun
July 30, 2006, 10:03 PM
how can saul be luffy's grandfather..

u have 2 generation down to get to luffy, knowing biology the chances are there for luffy to turn out tiny

now that luffy can use gear 3 its possible that saul its the dad LOL j/k

alazim
August 01, 2006, 02:35 AM
i really think that gold D. roger is luffy grandfather..after all when SH's at Skypea the former god say to robin that luffy remain him to gold d. roger..second prove when smoke say luffy remain gold roger when he been executed..both of them smile b4 been execute..

luffy also don't who his grandfather but maybe ace know..because his expresion when aokiji say about his grandfather luffy expresion more like shock..

the note that ace give to luffy maybe have an information about their bloodline..

if i not mistaken Dr.kureha also have mentioned that chopper has follow a great man..because the spirit of D..

blackbeard maybe their relative..or if he and gold roger a brother.. :s

mrhazuki
September 19, 2006, 02:16 PM
Saul and Roger died at about the same time. For Roger, about 20 years ago and Saul about 21 years ago. Robin is 29 now and was 8 when they met.

mugen
September 19, 2006, 03:59 PM
@ Manu that's Luffy blowing air into his bnes. That not transforming into a GIANT. Also Saul being his Grandfather is too akward. THus i still hope that
Gol D. is his grandfather. Saul is not worthy of being Luffy's grandfather . He must've been adopted

Teotsura
September 19, 2006, 06:02 PM
Its Gold D. Roger. The reason why I say this is because......I know. Na seriously though if you checked out closely all of these crazy one piece episodes that have Gold D. Roger in them and him talking. Then compare his manerisms with Luffy you start getting the hint that Gold D. Roger and Luffy are related and from the Aokiji episodes its pretty clear that Gold D. Roger in some crazy way is going to be shown as being Luffy's Grandpa.

white silver
September 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Have you tried to put a beard in luffy's face. It really does resemble Gold Roger.

mugen
September 19, 2006, 09:17 PM
Yes Gol D. does resemble Luffy in alot of ways. But have you noticed that Shanks also looks alike Luffy and Gol D. Roger

white silver
September 19, 2006, 09:18 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Ummm.. no.

Fryer
September 19, 2006, 10:00 PM
I have a couple of theories about Luffy's grandfather and the initial D.

First I think that anyone having the initial D in their name is going to be effected by fate in some way. Saul mentions this when he finds himself stranded on Ohara. If he hadn't been there Robin might not be around to join Luffy's crew. Also I believe Dragon mentions something along these lines when he helps Luffy escape.

The second thing is that I think the initial D is passed down through certain family lines. Saul mentions that everyone in his family has the initial D in their name. I beleive this is probably the same for Luffy's family since both he and Ace have the D in their name. This is why when I first heard Aokiji mention Luffy's grandfather Gol D Roger came to mind. But then again that doesn't mean there isn't another family line out there with the initial D in it.

teokun
September 19, 2006, 11:09 PM
im pretty sure that the D is connected to that lost prosperous kingdom from the void century

saul must have heard a different story from Olivia so he betray WG

Kratos
September 19, 2006, 11:13 PM
Yes Gol D. does resemble Luffy in alot of ways. But have you noticed that Shanks also looks alike Luffy and Gol D. Roger

yep yep yep

Roocketman
October 19, 2006, 10:28 AM
Finishing this post... Luffy's grandpa is no other than Vice-admiral Gurp (yes, the one wearing the doggy hat)

Morneion
October 19, 2006, 10:50 AM
and once again. Odas ability to give the readers what they least expect them to get ^^

Schabrak
October 19, 2006, 11:11 AM
to all of you. Everyone has "2" grandfathers. ^^ One from your mom and one from your dad. Gurp is one, but Gol can't be. Oda could have said it in the first chapter. We will see in chap 500.=)

mugen
October 19, 2006, 04:07 PM
Well I'm glad it's not Saul at least. :sweat

jumbohiggins
October 19, 2006, 04:27 PM
first of all im i a deadfast roger as grampa beliver or atleast someone related

but if rogers luffys grandpa whos luffys dad

and also does pirating run in the whole famialy
cuase i could tottally see luffys famialy as like half marines and half pirates

:luffy O0 :imslow :beer
pirates

:jounins :cussing
marines

or something like that

Dragonzair
October 19, 2006, 04:30 PM
but if rogers luffys grandpa whos luffys dad

...what?

You mean if Roger is Luffy's dad, or grampa? If he's his dad, then it's highly impossible because he died year before Luffy was born. On the other hand, it can still be possible that he is Luffy's other grandfather.

If that's the case, then you're probably right about the whol half marine, half pirates bit. Maybe.

If Garp was the guy who cornered Gol D. Roger, it would be very interesting to see the relationship between all of Luffy's family (if Roger is indeed his other grandfather).

mugen
October 19, 2006, 09:17 PM
Oh shit I just noticed that Cody & Helmmpo had a cameo in chapter 431 on pg. 17

And I still think that Shanks is Luffy's father :amuse

Kickmeister
October 20, 2006, 04:38 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned or if anyone else has realised it.. But Luffy's grandfather is the same grandfather that Oda used in "Romance dawn".. Check it out: http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemangav-2/onepiecespecialpilot.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=289

The same character basically.. :amuse

white silver
October 20, 2006, 07:57 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Most interesting Revelation, great job Oda. *should've seen the "random" sleeping pattern he and Portgas D. Ace share*

bax
October 21, 2006, 03:57 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Most interesting Revelation, great job Oda. *should've seen the "random" sleeping pattern he and Portgas D. Ace share*

No one expect that White Silver (or could be there are some people expected it), including me!! The only place where he showed up the most is inside the anime fillers.

Morneion
October 22, 2006, 02:43 PM
oh yeah.. not that used to the thing of having grandfathers, more used with 2 diffrent names for 'em ^^

mugen
October 22, 2006, 07:05 PM
So is Garp a D. too ? Huh?
And how did Garp give Aokoji a hard time? If he was talking about him.
Was probably his subordinate.

alekosss_kenpachi
October 23, 2006, 01:30 PM
Oh shit I just noticed that Cody & Helmmpo had a cameo in chapter 431 on pg. 17

And I still think that Shanks is Luffy's father :amuse
If that turns out to be true(rather impossible) i am gonna say that you are a fortune teller.

Believe
October 24, 2006, 12:58 AM
Can't you have 2 Grandfathers? Lol, meaning there could be another Grandpa waiting in the darkness :P.

** Scary music begins to play **

Roocketman
October 24, 2006, 05:19 AM
Replying to alekosss_kenpach : http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemangav-2/onepiece431mqhq.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=9476 Do you see those faces? They are Helmmpo and Cody , just remember the filling arc of the anime when Helmmpo and Cody arrives to the Marine HQ and became subordinates of Gurp.

And abour having 2 grandpas ,yes , why not? Not to mention that Hagwal being his grandpa it's one of my thoughts.

Luckas
October 24, 2006, 05:26 AM
Replying to alekosss_kenpach : http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemangav-2/onepiece431mqhq.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=9476 Do you see those faces? They are Helmmpo and Cody , just remember the filling arc of the anime when Helmmpo and Cody arrives to the Marine HQ and became subordinates of Gurp.

And abour having 2 grandpas ,yes , why not? Not to mention that Hagwal being his grandpa it's one of my thoughts.
Only to me they seem the old subordibnates of Garp?

Krillos
October 24, 2006, 06:23 AM
Question: Is Luffy's grandpa Garp from the mother's side or the father's side of the family?

Kickmeister
October 24, 2006, 09:10 AM
Only to me they seem the old subordibnates of Garp?

It's definitely Koby&Helmeppo.. You can see that it's Helmeppo's chin..

Believe
October 24, 2006, 11:08 AM
But how many years has it been?

Wasn't Koby just a kid? :|.

Krillos
October 24, 2006, 01:57 PM
Wait, I got it! Garp is the grandpa from the mother's side and Roger is from the father's side! :XD

Dark Zeza
October 24, 2006, 02:04 PM
In one Piece world, it seem to be less than one year, but look at Koby, when we first saw him he looked like a puppy. After his training you can see he became muscular. So thinking if he continue being Garp's subordinate, he will grow up.

So I think those two are Koby and Helmeppo.

white silver
October 24, 2006, 08:53 PM
In one Piece world, it seem to be less than one year, but look at Koby, when we first saw him he looked like a puppy. After his training you can see he became muscular. So thinking if he continue being Garp's subordinate, he will grow up.

So I think those two are Koby and Helmeppo.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]The "double chin" of Helmeppo is a dead Giveaway, I know Oda want's to have A BIG effect on the storyline.

*OOOHhhh, I can't wait for the next chapter*

alekosss_kenpachi
October 25, 2006, 03:16 AM

Actually what i was reffering to is whether shanks is luffy's father!I agree that those 2 are Coby and helmmpo!

neild
November 02, 2006, 08:36 AM
luffy's grandpa was garp? o my god..what a special manga we have here.full of surprises
praise oda forever!

white silver
November 02, 2006, 11:32 AM
luffy's grandpa was garp? o my god..what a special manga we have here.full of surprises
praise oda forever!

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Wow, you didn't read the latest chapter?

neild
November 02, 2006, 07:56 PM
i just finished reading it..

jeffhmwong
November 09, 2006, 07:41 AM
Hahahah.....that was 3 episodes ago.....OMG..!!

neild
November 13, 2006, 07:49 PM
i think garp doesnt possess df ability.he just have that strong arm to punch luffy

sushi
November 14, 2006, 07:57 AM
it's just like oda is giving us a big treat ahhahahah..if you see right, luffy resembles garp more than his father... garp is funny like luffy wonder if ace is like dragon or his mother......
yeah how is their mmother like huh having such family it really bothers me

jeffhmwong
November 14, 2006, 08:37 AM
Yea./.....maybe luffy's mom was kokoro....a realy freaki family..!!

neild
November 14, 2006, 02:16 PM
dragon is scary doesnt mean he doesnt qualify to be his father.for example i a different from my father in terms of personality.that doesnt mean im not blood related to him,see?

sushi
November 15, 2006, 03:45 AM
yeah true...somehow grap dos not goes to dargon but decent towards luffy instead

neild
November 15, 2006, 05:57 PM
do you think garp will capture luffy in time?like if he is ordered specifically by the world government to pursue him to the end of the world?[br]Posted on: November 15, 2006, 05:56:46 PM_________________________________________________with a threat: or else you'll be killed garp..

Freakzin
November 15, 2006, 09:14 PM
i prefer to think the other way, we will kill luffy if u don't tell us where dragon is

weixiaobao
November 15, 2006, 10:21 PM
that sound very unlikely since in case of dragon (he too smart to get capture)

And Garp (too famous and strong to get capture or threaten) (they need him to deal with the 4 kings)

And Luffy (too baka and baka to realize that he is capture, and clueless about his father) :gigglebunny

Oh yeah I forgot that Luffy didn't know he had a father maybe he thought he came out of a cow or something. :XD

Luffy is the GREATEST O0

sushi
November 16, 2006, 05:47 AM
but somehow it would be great if garp n dragon help luffy<<<so the baka-baka luffy is going to get stronger than his brother,father and grandfather...now that i notice his family is full of man n his the youngest...

neild
November 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
i prefer to think the other way, we will kill luffy if u don't tell us where dragon is

u can say u dont know.nobody know his relationship with luffy.
besides i think garp is too powerful to be threathen.maybe he prefers death instead of capturing luffy.he lives long enough in this world

white silver
November 16, 2006, 11:03 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Nah, the governement won't know it if Garp didn't tell them they met Luffy!

neild
November 17, 2006, 10:05 PM
i think garp eats devil fruit.a dog dog fruit, just see his hat.he can transform into a dog[br]Posted on: November 17, 2006, 10:04:58 PM_________________________________________________but a strong one, like 3 heads dog-cerberus

weixiaobao
November 17, 2006, 11:39 PM
i think garp eats devil fruit.a dog dog fruit, just see his hat.he can transform into a dog[br]Posted on: November 17, 2006, 10:04:58 PM_________________________________________________but a strong one, like 3 heads dog-cerberus

It more fun if Garp was not a devil fruit user (if he is a DF, then I hope it a unique but not powerful ability). I like to think of Garp as a skillful and powerful person than just a another person replied on unnatural power.

neild
November 18, 2006, 04:45 AM
come to think of it, why the dog hat?whats with the dog ship?he doesnt have a dog..so what else can it be?

bax
November 18, 2006, 11:39 AM
I believe it's just what Oda wants to incorporate into OP. We have so many animal theme already.

1. Arlong crewman
2. Shicibukai (ie: Hawk-Eye, Crocodile)
3. Admirals

A dog for Garp is probably falls on his character theme. Dog is viewed as a loyal animal, and a guard as well. Garp has been in the Marines for a long time. His character resembles a dog. Loyal and acts as a guard for the Marines.

weixiaobao
November 18, 2006, 07:59 PM
I believe it's just what Oda wants to incorporate into OP. We have so many animal theme already.

1. Arlong crewman
2. Shicibukai (ie: Hawk-Eye, Crocodile)
3. Admirals

A dog for Garp is probably falls on his character theme. Dog is viewed as a loyal animal, and a guard as well. Garp has been in the Marines for a long time. His character resembles a dog. Loyal and acts as a guard for the Marines.

Absolutely agree. I must said Oda is a genious when come to animal personality and animal's feeling (python from the sky island arc is one example)

The hat just does not meant a DF user. I think Garp is stronger than Lucci in physical strength. And Garp attack just base sheer power. (maybe a little fighting skill- probably boxing or karate or something)

sushi
November 19, 2006, 10:43 PM
luffy was almost dead cause of garp...so probably garp is not a DF user...inu inu no mi nice idea but I think garp loves dogs than being a dog...even his face looks like a dog...hahahah...wut happen to garp after they when of from water 7 yeah???

bax
December 23, 2006, 05:41 AM
NOTICE
Luffy's Grandpa has been proved to be Garp.

And for the sake of continuity of discussion, this thread is now the "Garp Discussion Thread".

white silver
December 23, 2006, 06:01 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]That's our moderator for you!!

Now, notice the name "Garp", and say it quickly repeatedly! Now you sound like a dog don't you???

Absolutio
December 23, 2006, 11:20 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]That's our moderator for you!!

Now, notice the name "Garp", and say it quickly repeatedly! Now you sound like a dog don't you???

Lol =].. For some reason when I see the name "Garp", first thing that's coming to my head is Burp. :S

I hope Garp aint a DF user. He doesnt seem like one who would eat the devil's fruit. He's strong enough as he is.

We can see well this bloodline of this family. They just love to fall asleep all of a sudden: Garp while talking, Ace while eating, Luffy while getting bored.. Or something like that. I hope Dragon aint like that.. He seems a serious and scary guy..

What a family they are.. Unique blood-line.. :D

white silver
December 24, 2006, 12:56 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]It would be funny to see Dragon inheriting the same "random" sleep bloodline.

Efreet
December 24, 2006, 01:21 AM
Dragon is surely a tough dude, i mean, he can control the weather or something right?

Absolutio
December 24, 2006, 12:01 PM
Dragon is surely a tough dude, i mean, he can control the weather or something right?

yea.. something like that O_o.. but that would be discussed in a "Dragon Thread" and not in Garp's :P

Julmari
December 24, 2006, 05:55 PM
Garp i think is match for the shibukai[mabey spelled wrongly...:D) and he'd give a hell of a fight to the emperors

Absolutio
December 25, 2006, 04:49 PM
Garp i think is match for the shibukai[mabey spelled wrongly...:D) and he'd give a hell of a fight to the emperors

probably.. he's said to be one of the few left that still remember and witnessed those days of the "past" with Gol D. Roger and etc. So he must have some huge exp. with all those Shichibukai and Emperors..

Efreet
December 26, 2006, 01:02 AM
Garp may even be as tough as Whitebeard, seeing as he managed to corner Roger last time, and he might even responsible for apprehending the Pirate King

OP_overlord
December 27, 2006, 12:13 AM
all we know is that garp is not as strong as he used to be (eventho he can hurl canonballs the size of a ship at ppl)

and we KNOW that grap is the same stregth if not stronger than WB cause WB may have been equal to Gol D. Roger but Garp Caught Roger

Efreet
December 27, 2006, 07:18 AM
i'd hate to see how fast he could actually throw baseballs if he could throw cannonballs the speed of real baseballs :darn

Absolutio
December 27, 2006, 12:57 PM
all we know is that garp is not as strong as he used to be (eventho he can hurl canonballs the size of a ship at ppl)

and we KNOW that grap is the same stregth if not stronger than WB cause WB may have been equal to Gol D. Roger but Garp Caught Roger

Where does it say that Garp was the one who caught Roger?

OP_overlord
December 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
idk i think that is just implied it says that he courned roger many times

Absolutio
December 29, 2006, 07:09 AM
it also says that WhiteBeard was the only one that could fight equally with Roger.. So I dont think garp was the one to caught him.. I generally wonder how the pirate king got caught..

Efreet
December 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
it also says that WhiteBeard was the only one that could fight equally with Roger.. So I dont think garp was the one to caught him.. I generally wonder how the pirate king got caught..

how he was caught....hmm.. most likely the same way as many heroes are.. a HOSTAGE situation...

perhaps Roger's wife/daughter/son was captured and in exchange for letting them go free, Roger would have to die :(

OP_overlord
December 29, 2006, 06:26 PM
yeah i could see that or he was just tired of life he had everthing money, fame, power, he was ready for the next adventure

Absolutio
December 29, 2006, 08:57 PM
how he was caught....hmm.. most likely the same way as many heroes are.. a HOSTAGE situation...

perhaps Roger's wife/daughter/son was captured and in exchange for letting them go free, Roger would have to die :(

So what about his family if it did happen. I thought about hostage, but it seems unlikely with the likes of Roger.
I think there's something special about him being caught. Like it served him for some purpose which we don't know yet, so he intentionly let himself get caught.

OP_overlord
December 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
that is not the exact thing that i said

Efreet
December 30, 2006, 10:30 AM
maybe there's a ghostly version of the One Piece world and Roger wanted to be the King Of the Ghostly Pirates too...

he was way too calm at his execution... even Luffy tried to escape but Roger just accepted his fate...

showoff :notrust

Absolutio
December 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
maybe there's a ghostly version of the One Piece world and Roger wanted to be the King Of the Ghostly Pirates too...

he was way too calm at his execution... even Luffy tried to escape but Roger just accepted his fate...

showoff :notrust

Lol.. as I said, he probably had his intentions.. =D

OP_overlord
December 30, 2006, 03:29 PM
yeah he knew what he was doing

sushi
December 31, 2006, 07:32 AM
I thought luffy was the same not doing anything when he was caught llike roger...just the lightning that saved luffy

hrseber
January 01, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think that both Garp and Dragon were on Gol D. Roger's crew and after Roger was captured by the head of the marines, the buddha guy, they seperated ways. Garp joined the marines because they saw his potential and he realized he needed to keep control of the pirates to not let them rampage since his commander in chief is now dead. But his son, Dragon, knew what Roger did about the true history and decided to go to the other extreme and reshape the world accrodingly.

Something, that I think is more and more likely the way they speak of them (WB and Shanks that is when they meet up)

OP_overlord
January 01, 2007, 08:05 PM
well the manga says that garp was the only person to coner roger and y would he do that if he was on his ship but dragon could have been on rogers ship

Absolutio
January 02, 2007, 11:08 AM
well the manga says that garp was the only person to coner roger and y would he do that if he was on his ship but dragon could have been on rogers ship

I dont think that dragon was on roger's ship, coz if he was, WhiteBeard would've mentioned him as one of those few ppl who're left from the old times, in his chat with shanks.

Gear2fu
January 02, 2007, 12:35 PM
i know this is a little off topic but where do you think the rebels that dragon is leading are hiding i expect it to be somewhere like that last island of the grand line.

OP_overlord
January 02, 2007, 09:49 PM
in this recent manga chapter they say that they are chillin on and island called pagado or something like it in the grandline i dont think that it is the second to last island

who did WB mention from the old times when he was talking to shanks i forgot

Absolutio
January 03, 2007, 09:40 AM
in this recent manga chapter they say that they are chillin on and island called pagado or something like it in the grandline i dont think that it is the second to last island

who did WB mention from the old times when he was talking to shanks i forgot

if i'm not mistaken he mentions garp, sengoku and roger, while referring to the old days.

mugen
January 03, 2007, 04:41 PM
Garp is the guy who maybe did in fact capture Gol..
I mean that is possible after seeing a bit of his strength
that is what Mugen thinks.....:jbya

jeffhmwong
January 07, 2007, 01:59 AM
Wow.....garp will be one hell of a character to look out for....

Hes hell strong.....perhaps we can be prepare for a show down between him n dragon...

mugen
January 07, 2007, 02:05 AM
wtf
are you just posting random stuff?
dragon vs. garp
you know that wouldn't happen but you will see Garp fight Whitebeard
that i can assure you or he might even fight Sengkou

Pevee
January 07, 2007, 11:14 AM
Sengoku? in a quarrel? I can't see the obvious reason why Garp would end up fight someone in the marine.
But besides that, yes, Garp would definitely fight White Beard. I'm still not sure about Dragon and Garp one; they're on the opposite side and all, but I think they still try their best to avoid one another.

mugen
January 07, 2007, 11:16 AM
he'll fight sengoku cuz Sengoku'll try to kill Luffy or Ace or even dragon and Garp will protect his family cuz he loves them :scry

OP_overlord
January 07, 2007, 06:26 PM
i thought that you ment dragon take on sengoku have we been introduced to him yet i would wanna see why sengoku is the head of the marines and i think that grap and dragon have father son issues that need to be worked out so i could cee that fight and teh garp WB one is a must

mugen
January 07, 2007, 06:29 PM
i thought that you ment dragon take on sengoku have we been introduced to him yet i would wanna see why sengoku is the head of the marines and i think that grap and dragon have father son issues that need to be worked out so i could cee that fight and teh garp WB one is a must

that's possible but i doubt it cuz he doesn't seem to be mad at his son...
if he still keeps in touch with him :noworry

Pevee
January 07, 2007, 10:11 PM
that's possible but i doubt it cuz he doesn't seem to be mad at his son...
if he still keeps in touch with him :noworry

In fact, I think he's a little proud of his son and grandson's notoriety.
However, I would love to see a fight between Dragon and Garp, whatever the reason maybe. It'll be a hell of a fight to watch.

mugen
January 07, 2007, 10:17 PM
yeah he does seem pretty proud
and it would be cool to see them fight but Dragon has yet to be seen in combat
and wasn't it weird that last time Smoker didn't even try to attempt catching Dragon.

Pevee
January 07, 2007, 10:22 PM
Smoker probably knows where he belongs and loves his life enough not to.
Dragon had to be one of the strongest guys in the world to be the most wanted and the head of the revolution.

mugen
January 07, 2007, 10:25 PM
yeah anyways
next time we'll see Garp will be for a while :scry

OP_overlord
January 07, 2007, 11:52 PM
yeah we mill not see him for a while and the sucks but next time we see his crew coby and hellempo are going to be really strong

where does it say anything about garp and dragon keeping in touch????

the garp dragon fight would be sick

smoker knows he cant beat him he is affriad of wind cause he cant use his logia DF his smoke might get blown away and he doesnt want to get beat by dragon and garp cause garp would porb be mad (you saw hiow happy he and aokiji where when luffy got away after water 7)

imagine the talks at marine diners
sengoku - my son is a doctor
one of the elders - my daughter is going to be a captian soon
all gathered - congrats
aokiji - im getting married in a few days
all gathered - congradulations
garp - my son is the most wanted man in the world and the head of the rev. and my son is going to be pirate king and has threated our existance
all gathered - garp me know no ones family have done that much way to kill teh conversation
garp - sorry o and we are all decendants of teh acient civilization
all gathered - shut up alread man

p.s - nice signature and profile pic mugen lol

mugen
January 07, 2007, 11:58 PM
well Dragon did tell Garp that he saw Luffy off in chapter 332 http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/8483/016yz9.th.png (http://img474.imageshack.us/my.php?image=016yz9.png)
and yes I do have a nice sig amd avatar
btw you do too :amuse

OP_overlord
January 08, 2007, 12:11 AM
right now i remember that whywas he picking his nose and why did Oda draw it so big that was unnessacary

my avater and sig suck i stole them from wikipedia - one piece characters

jeffhmwong
January 08, 2007, 06:41 AM
OP Overlord....!!!!!..

Your dinner gathring Joke is PRICELESS.!!!!

One of the best ..!!! If not the best..

sushi
January 08, 2007, 07:01 AM
hahahahha...........nice

OP_overlord
January 08, 2007, 05:47 PM
thank you
thank you
i try i could see that happening to it would be a good mini arc (marines at the holidays)

Pevee
January 08, 2007, 08:02 PM
It will!!! They would all fight just because Garp just killed the whole dinner conversation. I can see it . .

garp continues- my son and grandson would probably wipe out the world gov. soon. lol. just the thought of it,. . . that makes me so proud *wipes tear*

sengoku- sit down and shut up!

garp- what now? you're jealous?!?! huh? wish your son were this great? huh?
and they start all the pushing and fighting

anyways, does that mean that Luffy didn't know who his dad is, up until Garp told him?

mugen
January 08, 2007, 08:04 PM
yeah read the picture I posted up top ^

well Dragon did tell Garp that he saw Luffy off in chapter 332 http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/8483/016yz9.th.png (http://img474.imageshack.us/my.php?image=016yz9.png)
and yes I do have a nice sig amd avatar
btw you do too :amuse

OP_overlord
January 08, 2007, 09:28 PM
aokiji would just start freezing ppl and when everone was frozen he would be like dam not again and then just take a nap

sushi
January 09, 2007, 03:08 AM
he likes sleeping a lot maybe garp gonna beat him some day...

OP_overlord
January 09, 2007, 10:12 PM
they both sleep all the time (garp feel asleep when he was being attacked by morgan )

Absolutio
January 10, 2007, 05:14 AM
yea, and luffy fell asleep when he got preached by garp..Also with Ace while he eats.. They're are a sleeping out of the blue family.. :P

sushi
January 10, 2007, 06:00 AM
hey aokiji not the family....maybe cousins?

jeffhmwong
January 10, 2007, 09:35 AM
I think garp can nver beat aokoji.....frankly speakign.....i seriously dont think anyone capable of doing so....

except ace perhaps..

deathshadow25
January 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
I have a question isn't Garps rank under Aokoji's

hrseber
January 10, 2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, Garp is a Vice Admiral and Aokiji is a Supreme Admiral

deathshadow25
January 10, 2007, 11:44 AM
You'd think because Garp took down the king of pirates he'd have a higher rank

hrseber
January 10, 2007, 01:28 PM
I still don't believe that he did do that. I still think that Garp was under Roger's crew and left to join the marines to better protect the Grandline from the pirate era.... And you are right that he would be a higher rank if he had actually taken down Roger but I think that Sengoku took down Roger and he is the true super power seeing as the three supreme admirals are controlled by him. And think about how Sengoku is treated by the schibukai, how openly he talks to them without fear and you know Oda keeps him holding onto that goat for no reason other than to make us think this guy is weak.

Absolutio
January 10, 2007, 04:34 PM
You'd think because Garp took down the king of pirates he'd have a higher rank

No one knows who or how Gol D. Roger was caught.. I dont understand where people get the idea that garp was the one that got him..

Anyways.. Getting promoted doesnt always have to do with being strong and defeating strong enemies. The higher rank you are, the more responsibility you have, and the more men you command. You also need to prove yourself as a intelectual person and smart strategist.. (Which Garp might not be good enough for..)

OP_overlord
January 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
i think garp could have had the job he had had more experience and he cornored roger many times so i think he was offerd it but refused it cause he was lazy and he liked where he was and everone looks up to him any way aokiji included (he trusts garp to hadle the luffy situation as he please's) i think that sengoku has so serious powers that we have not seen yet but i wnna so bad he looks like the man (maybe the starter of the roukoski techs.) none messes with sengoku
im not to sure if akoiji title is supreme admiral i think it is just admiral

mugen
January 11, 2007, 09:01 PM
ummm has anybody noticed that the mask Garp was wearing before and the masks the revolutionaries wear, look alike?
Weird huh?

OP_overlord
January 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
i didnt notcie that but now that you mention it yeah could grap be a spy for teh Rev and that is why he is not admiral by now i he should be the WG knows that he is they just cant prove it. but the hats that the revs wear look like puppys while the one that garp wears is a dog so he might be the one incharge and dragon is handleling things while garp is spy onthe WG or dragon is just trying to frame garp with the resemblance of the hets or he is mackeing fun of him

mugen
January 11, 2007, 11:14 PM
i didnt notcie that but now that you mention it yeah could grap be a spy for teh Rev and that is why he is not admiral by now i he should be the WG knows that he is they just cant prove it.

nah i doubt Garp is a spy..
but could be that Dragon just decided to pay homage to his father in that way....

xr3b0rn5inx
January 31, 2007, 12:24 AM
Man this guy has one freakishly strong arm,for a moment i tot the Strawhats ship would be a waste of money when Grap started throwing cannonballs at them :blink

venicia777
January 31, 2007, 12:49 AM
I have a question isn't Garps rank under Aokoji's

yes!!! but if memory serves me right-- earlier in the series wasnt it revealed that Garp coulda being admiral but just because of his character or something?

He is kinda similar to Smoker. They do their own things. People like that at times choose not to get that far in rank (i remember Jiraiya from naruto) or that the authorities wouldnt give him that rank- but give him one good enough to be close to the top.

OP_overlord
February 01, 2007, 12:08 AM
yeah he didnt want it he was cool being a vice admiral and like not being tied down at WG HQ

Absolutio
February 10, 2007, 04:07 PM
yes!!! but if memory serves me right-- earlier in the series wasnt it revealed that Garp coulda being admiral but just because of his character or something?

He is kinda similar to Smoker. They do their own things. People like that at times choose not to get that far in rank (i remember Jiraiya from naruto) or that the authorities wouldnt give him that rank- but give him one good enough to be close to the top.

Aokiji also do things his own way - Letting Robin live, same with luffy, etc.
Yet, he is an Admiral.

lordHokage
March 11, 2008, 06:56 PM
I wonder if Admiral Aokiji is related to Vice-Admiral Garp. They both have a lot in common, when it comes to Straw Hat Crew, their actions are mysterious and they love to sleep alot. :blink

Dark God Zeus
August 20, 2009, 03:01 AM
Ok, so here we are presented with a man who has fought to the death with roger on multiple occassions, as well as cornered him and his ship. http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/551/05/

A man who was able to THROW a cannonball faster than a cannon could shoot it, and still having an explosive effect, and yet he says he has lost power.
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/438/11/

A man who was able to throw this ridiculously large ironball
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/439/10/

Furthermore, a man who is on good terms with Sengoku and is a veteran of the sea.

So, why isn't Garp, whom holds all of these great virtues an admiral?

Merged with existing thread.

Beldin
August 20, 2009, 04:16 AM
for the same reason smoker was a simple captain and now is a commodore: because they don't belives in absolute justice

also, he is the father of dragon. sangoku said that if garp isn't the "hero of the marine", he would pay for the crimes of his family

LALAPUI
August 20, 2009, 04:57 AM
for the same reason smoker was a simple captain and now is a commodore: because they don't belives in absolute justice

also, he is the father of dragon. sangoku said that if garp isn't the "hero of the marine", he would pay for the crimes of his family

Well Aokiji doesn't beleive in absolute justice and he is and admiral perhaps he is not an admiral because exept superhuman strengh he doesn't have anything else maybe Haki and also he is not an admiral cause of the crimes of his family all of them are pirates or criminals.

Beldin
August 20, 2009, 05:04 AM
but aokiji didn't break the rules

also with superhuman strenght and haki rayleigh fight on par with an admiral, why garp not? he fought to death with the PIRATE KING many times

the pirate king, not a "little rascal" or a "vulcano brat"

Lord Rayleigh
August 20, 2009, 07:49 AM
The marine (or rather the top marines) knows he has saved Gol D. Roger'son, he is the father of Monkey D. Dragon and the grandfather of Monkey D. Luffy. That means a lot of the great bad events are linked to his family : he is a man that draws problems.
Besides, he likes to make fun and exasperate his superiors (Admiral Ao Kiji and Admiral Sengoku are members of the association of victims).
What's more, he still has a childish behavior as all the Monkey D. seem to have. And finally, he also does not have a DF power that protects his body whereas the Admirals have (except we do not know for Sengoku).

kkck
August 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
Also, if garp was to be made an admiral, the whole logia theme behind the admirals would disappear lol.

BlackHair
August 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
When was it mentioed that Garp has not a Logia or even not a DF ?!

Lord Rayleigh
August 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
When was it mentioed that Garp has not a Logia or even not a DF ?!
The fact that he has not a logia has been established since a while. Have a look here (http://www.volonte-d.com/mini/images/kobhe10.jpg) and here (http://www.volonte-d.com/mini/images/kobhe18.jpg). So, that also means kkck was right.
But it has never said that he did not have a DF.

BlackHair
August 24, 2009, 05:32 AM
.. He was sleeping, not aware of his surroundings, foolling around. Hence not in decompose mode (logia state). Rememeber Ace and Smoker who were sent flying by Luffy, even though being a logia? This is a similar case. Nothing is proofed.

Edit: Just to make my point clear, Im not claiming that Garp has a logia fruit. Just saying we dont know anything about his powers. Except that he can use haki, which probably evey big shot can.

bittman
August 24, 2009, 06:35 AM
Sorry, let's backtrack even further.

Where is it proven that Garp can use Haki? Punching Luffy with his "Fist of Love"? Nami did worse half a chapter earlier. It could also be that Garp has a DF which punches through rubber, or he's so impossibly physically strong that even Luffy's innate Rubber abilities mean nothing.

Point is: We really know nothing about Garp except that he's physically superhuman, but again even that could be a ruse given by a DF he may have.

Final point is: Garp's true powers are a mystery.

I do expect Haki, only because he's Luffy's grandfather and not because he actually punched Luffy. Until we knew of Haki I just thought he had an interesting DF...or was insanely powerful. Both still possible in Oda's world.

Sachsenhesse
August 24, 2009, 07:17 AM
Rememeber Ace and Smoker who were sent flying by Luffy, even though being a logia? This is a similar case

hm... if we take haki as a spirit... then luffy then had the spirit to fooood and this spirit in luffy cannot be matched against logiapowers ^^

Shadoguardian
August 25, 2009, 08:20 PM
I think Garp might have been offered the position but refused it. His current rank gives him enough freedom to move around as he wishes, and not be overwhelmed by huge responsibilities. A suitable position to allow him to do (more-or-less) whatever he wants. He also might have been feeling guilty about helping out GR at some point or another.

BlackHair
August 27, 2009, 08:03 AM
Sorry, let's backtrack even further.

Where is it proven that Garp can use Haki? Punching Luffy with his "Fist of Love"? Nami did worse half a chapter earlier. It could also be that Garp has a DF which punches through rubber, or he's so impossibly physically strong that even Luffy's innate Rubber abilities mean nothing.

Point is: We really know nothing about Garp except that he's physically superhuman, but again even that could be a ruse given by a DF he may have.

Final point is: Garp's true powers are a mystery.

I do expect Haki, only because he's Luffy's grandfather and not because he actually punched Luffy. Until we knew of Haki I just thought he had an interesting DF...or was insanely powerful. Both still possible in Oda's world.
Saying that Garp can use Haki and stating it as fact is certainly wrong. Just as u said, nothing was said yet. He is still a hidden charackter.

However plz don't compare Garp's punch with Nami's. While Nami's was clearly only for comedy purpose, Garp's was clearly not.

For each serious hit on Luffy there have been comments either from Luffy himself or from other charackter. As Garp hit him, Sanji (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/431/18/) (Panel 6) commented his rubber intangibility. As BB hit him on ID, Croco (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/544/06/) (Panel 5) mentioned it too. While fighting the Boa sisters Luffy (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/519/09/) (Panel 3) himself noted it.

hamad138
August 30, 2009, 05:58 AM
Garp is stronger than the Admiral!

Hello? He killeed nearly THE PIRATE KING?! His strenght must be very strong..

BlackHair
August 30, 2009, 07:10 AM
Admirals, PK, Yonko etc are all at high level (= last tier). Means there is no real power difference in each. Same right now, WB might be the strongest but doesn't say that he will win everyone easily. In fact he would have a hard fight with the second strongest, if there is some1. Also putting Garps prime equal to Roger, doesn't put Garp now above the Admirals.

kkck
August 30, 2009, 10:56 AM
Do you really think the current admirals are as strong as roger was in his prime? I Hsincerely doubt that lol. Just look at old and frail second mate raileight he stood to an admiral even though he had spent the last years of his life drinking himself to death and gambling. He even said he had not used a sword in good knows how long. The PK in his prime would probably have some trouble with any of the admirals but in the end he would just walk away from the fight with the victory.

chess4
August 30, 2009, 11:04 AM
i will to bet anything that the ole boy garp is stronger than all 3 admirals and he probably rivals sengoku in fighting power. im sure there is a reason garp isnt an admiral.

BlackHair
August 30, 2009, 01:50 PM
Do you really think the current admirals are as strong as roger was in his prime? I understand where you are getting at. But seeing it from the SHs point, I mean the protagonists of a supernatural shounan are usually facing the strongest kind. Since they already met two Admirals, I do believe they are the strongest in history, similar with Lucci of CP9.

Or the current Admirals will be replaced by new stronger ones (Smoker etc).

About Rayleigh, well he was able to hold a Admiral but he was clearly at disadvantage during their swordfight.

About Garp being as strong as the Admirals, I have no doubts on that, I even go further saying that he is slightly stronger. So I kinda agree with chess4.

kkck
August 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
The current admirals being the strongest in history would not put them above roger though.

Rayleight was still a match for the guy. The fact that the current dark king is an old man that has esentially drunk his strength away does not change. All in all, the guy kept an admiral at bay even though he is nowhere near his prime.

BlackHair
August 30, 2009, 10:54 PM
The current admirals being the strongest in history would not put them above roger though.No, of course not. I wasnt putting the Admirals above Roger.

WB is said to be equal to Roger. In the current events he seems to be stronger than the Admirals, considering how easily he fended their attacks. Since WB must be past his prime, he should have been even stronger in his prime, similar to Ray and Garp. So the Admirals can't be stronger than Roger. But that doesn't mean he would have a easy fight with them.

kkck
August 31, 2009, 01:10 PM
I am pretty sure I already said all of that lol(except you used WB as a comparison and I used raileight)...

BlackHair
August 31, 2009, 02:54 PM
Yea' I noticed that too lol. Wasn't my intention. I was focusing only on one matter, e.g every high tier can fight each other on even grounds.

For the last time, Im saying that even the strongest guy wouldn't have an easy fight with the Admirals. The power difference of each are minimal, so that almost every high tier (Admirals, Yonko, some of the Shichi etc) can fight evenly with each other.

sh4dx
September 04, 2009, 08:48 AM
well i believe that the old days 22years before roger's death garp was an admira for sure or MAYBE he was fleet admiral(he seems at least 10 years older than sengoku, and sengoku back then was admiral) and the only reason why he is now VA is because either he got lower rank because some of the gerousei knew about roger's son(i don't really believe this) or just himself felt "guilty" for help a pirate and disobey his marine protocol and for that reason he is taday VA.

it's just my theory but i don't find any better way for his current VA rank.

BlackHair
September 04, 2009, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was always a VA. Giving his unique charackter.. well wouldn't be a big news.

But if he was really a former Admiral, then I see only one reason for his degradation: he become weaker, thus unable to present as one of the MHQ greatest weapon.

About raising Roger's son, that news reached the government only after Ace begun his voyage on the sea. So if that was the reason, then he should have been de-promoted less than 3 years ago. But I don't think that was the case.

At the end only expectation and assumption. Let's wait for a flashback.

sh4dx
September 05, 2009, 08:02 AM
well i forgot to mention Dragon.I still believe garp back at roger's days he was admiral or fleet admiral and his degration wasn't that he become weaker, but something like Dragon, or that he saved ace..

Lord Rayleigh
September 05, 2009, 09:06 AM
I do not really understand the logic behind the idea that Garp was an Admiral and became Vice-admiral because either he was getting older either he had done problematical things.

First of all, do you really think that demoting an Admiral to a Vice-admiral could be called a demotion ? The Vice-admiral position stay one of the highest rank of the marine ; that means Garp would have still got a special position in the marine (a seat in the " marine nomenklatura ") and thus he would not have been deprived of his officer rank and his freedom/power in the organization. So, that idea is not realistic as that is not what a demotion truly is.
Secondly, knowing that Sengoku said himself that if Garp was not the hero of the marine, he would have took responsibility for his family's actions makes me think that Garp never had serious problems with the marine/WG in his career. The fact that he is the hero of the marine has always protected him as Sengoku underlined it.

Now, about the idea that he became Vice-admiral because he was getting older, I do not really think it is plausible either. Garp stays one of the strongest person in the manga and some of us - mangahelpers'members - think he may be as strong/stronger as/than some of the admirals. Thus, why would he become vice-admiral : he still has the strenght to deal with almost any kind of situation ? Besides, it does not really seem fine to thank an Admiral by making him a Vice-admiral. I guess the marine would have created a special rank for the ex-Admirals if they were not the strongest anymore but enough strong to continue working for the marines as one of its strongest soldier.
And from what I know, an officer that retires keeps his former rank as a title. So, Garp would keep a vice-admiral title if he retired whereas he used to be an Admiral ?
That does not seem realistic either. I do not remind any story in our world about officers being demoted because they were old.

The most serious idea would be that he never got the admiral rank because of his behavior.

sh4dx
September 05, 2009, 09:56 AM
i don't really believe that if garp was admiral or fleet admiral become VA because he became older..just think about it 20 years ago sengoku was admiral, and garp(the hero of the marines) seems at least 10-15 years older than sengoku(at least to me) so it make perfect sense for garp being fleet admiral(and at the meeting of wb and shanks when wb said about roger,garp,sengoku i am sure that the line he introduce them,was meaning something..i) and because he was the hero of the marines just degrade to VA because of his son actions or his behavior or whatever.

Poneglyph420
September 05, 2009, 09:09 PM
i don't really believe that if garp was admiral or fleet admiral become VA because he became older..just think about it 20 years ago sengoku was admiral, and garp(the hero of the marines) seems at least 10-15 years older than sengoku(at least to me) so it make perfect sense for garp being fleet admiral(and at the meeting of wb and shanks when wb said about roger,garp,sengoku i am sure that the line he introduce them,was meaning something..i) and because he was the hero of the marines just degrade to VA because of his son actions or his behavior or whatever.

It would make the most sense Garp hasn't been demoted ever. He most likely was given the chance to advance, but was too free willed. He is still a member of the Monkey family, a D and seemingly a "loose cannon". He was the hero of the Marines because he brought in Roger. Garp is most likely to have more we still don't know about him.

sh4dx
September 06, 2009, 11:29 AM
It would make the most sense Garp hasn't been demoted ever. He most likely was given the chance to advance, but was too free willed. He is still a member of the Monkey family, a D and seemingly a "loose cannon". He was the hero of the Marines because he brought in Roger. Garp is most likely to have more we still don't know about him.

for me it's not make the most sense..it would be a "hole" if we never find out who was the fleet admiral during roger's age,and i believe garp has many chances.here comes Dadan but for now we don't know ANYTHING so i think that garp is the best "candidate" for the previous fleet admiral's position.

Lord Rayleigh
September 06, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm sorry sh4dx, but between Garp is a vice-admiral and has never been an admiral, and Garp is a vice-admiral but was an admiral, what actually makes the most sense is the first thing.

sh4dx
September 06, 2009, 05:14 PM
I'm sorry sh4dx, but between Garp is a vice-admiral and has never been an admiral, and Garp is a vice-admiral but was an admiral, what actually makes the most sense is the first thing.

sorry, but i don't go with the sense in a manga..
i just believe that the "hole" about the fleet-admiral and the 2 admirals at roger's age will be cover for sure later,and i just express my opinion that garp back then, was either admiral or fleet admiral and got degrade at his rank because of his son(dragon) or his attitude or whatever.it's just my opinion nothing more.

Lord Rayleigh
September 07, 2009, 01:06 PM
sorry, but i don't go with the sense in a manga..
i just believe that the "hole" about the fleet-admiral and the 2 admirals at roger's age will be cover for sure later,and i just express my opinion that garp back then, was either admiral or fleet admiral and got degrade at his rank because of his son(dragon) or his attitude or whatever.it's just my opinion nothing more.
You know, I just answered to your post where you said that Garp was demoted was what makes the most sense for you.

Poneglyph420
September 10, 2009, 09:15 PM

Anyone wanna post about what we think wil happen to Garp in present time? He is going to have major conflicts internally, and with either enemies or his fellow Marines.

I bet he will give himself to protect Ace and Luffy.
Also regardless of his rank he's a bad ass!

modoki
September 21, 2009, 11:00 AM
The way things are going now in the war, it seems the only person atm who has a chance to save Ace is Garp.

He knows if he attempts to, Sengoku will end his life right away.

Since he is putting "family" over "pirates" Garp will definitely make a move. While in the mean time luffy/WB will have to deal with Kizaru now, and we know Kizaru if too fast/too strong to let them pass.

What Garp will do to attempt to save Ace is totally up in the air. I can assure you that he is sitting there thinking how to save his (adopted) son.

If Garp does pull it off completely or incompletely, it will totally change the look of the marines on a new level. No doubt this possible move alone will piss off the Gorousei.

kkck
September 21, 2009, 03:23 PM
Garp is not going to do anything to save either ace of luffy. At the very best he will turn his head to whatever and let them escape but by no means he is going to take direct action into saving them.

chess4
September 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
Garp is not going to do anything to save either ace of luffy. At the very best he will turn his head to whatever and let them escape but by no means he is going to take direct action into saving them.

garp is going to have save them. ace is on the platform with sengoku and he can kill him anytime. garp will have make a choice, watch him dieor save him.

tehgrim
September 21, 2009, 03:43 PM
I think garp will do something at the end, but nothing big. For example he'll throw out an attack at luffy, but only something he knows he can dodge. He knows luffy pretty well, so he should know what he capable of and attack just underneath that.

DutchPhoenix
February 20, 2011, 08:38 AM
Why is he called ''hero of the marines''

What did he do to get that title, anyone knows?

Shuusui
February 20, 2011, 09:07 AM

he is strongest marine i think(maybe sengoku but, garp is one of D.'s and father of dragon,luffy )
and he fought pirate king roger, like they are equals...
gol d. roger's words ; ''the two of us have nearly killed each other so many times...''

Franckie
February 20, 2011, 10:33 AM

Garp is considered the "Hero of the Marines" because he is a former Admiral candidate and famous for "cornering the Pirate King on multiple occassions".

DutchPhoenix
February 20, 2011, 11:59 AM
I personally think Garp did something big , something really big wich gave him the title Hero of the marines.

What he did we dont know yet.. :p
Since i dont think cornering gold roger or battled roger wouldnt really give him the title of hero of the marines, unless he slayed Gol D roger personally, wich he didnt do.

Anduren
February 20, 2011, 12:21 PM
I used to have the impression that it was to Garp that Roger turned himself in to. But after seeing the flashback where he tells Garp to take care of Ace, it makes me think that was not the case (same way Garp visited Ace in Impel down even though he did not arrest Ace).

There's also the incident with Shiki the Golden Lion: Garp was one of the two people who took him down when he invaded Marineford (the only person to invade Marineford before Whitebeard from what I know).

I'm sure there's a lot more to Garp's past that has not been revealed yet that we will find out as we learn more about Roger's past as well. I'd expect to see them from Garp's own flashbacks at some future point in the story.

bittman
February 20, 2011, 11:28 PM
I thought this was a bit obvious, especially after seeing how WG handled Crocodile and Smoker.

Even if Roger "turned himself in", he would have turned himself in to Garp personally most likely, knowing Garp would respect the decision regardless of the purpose.

And then, in true WG fashion, they would label Garp as the "hero of the marines" for capturing the Pirate King. Much in the same way that Smoker got a promotion for not-capturing Crocodile in order to cover up that the pirates were not a law unto themselves.

Of course Garp did many heroic things through his life, but I believe the title "Hero of the Marines" has always been for his "capture" of Roger.

Anduren
February 20, 2011, 11:55 PM
@bittman
The reason you pointed out as obvious is exactly the reason I always thought that Garp was called the hero of the marines because of "capturing" Roger. But if that was the case, there would have been no reason for Garp to visit Roger in prison after he was caught as Roger would've had plenty of time to discuss his conditions of turning himself in with him personally even if Roger personally requested to meet Garp while in prison.

I think Garp went to visit Roger in prison for the same kind of reason he went to visit Ace in prison before the execution: For old time's sake since they have not met in a long time, one last time before he dies.

Its very much possible that he really IS called hero of the marines for "capturing" Roger. Maybe its just a hunch, but something about that scene is making me think it wasn't Garp that Roger turned himself in to.

Jorge D. Dragon
February 21, 2011, 12:41 PM
I always thought he is Garp the Hero, because of cornering Roger countless times. It was even mentioned by people of Water 7, when he got there to visit Luffy.:)

BlindMunkey
February 22, 2011, 01:16 AM
I always thought he is Garp the Hero, because of cornering Roger countless times. It was even mentioned by people of Water 7, when he got there to visit Luffy.:)

i could be wrong isn't it [also if not just] Garp the Fist.

and i also believe Garp's title of Hero didnt come from "capturing roger". its something he earn through out his career for the service as marine. making him hero of the marine.
only Oda can clarify it for us.

MaiSiaoSiao
February 22, 2011, 01:58 AM
i could be wrong isn't it [also if not just] Garp the Fist.

and i also believe Garp's title of Hero didnt come from "capturing roger". its something he earn through out his career for the service as marine. making him hero of the marine.
only Oda can clarify it for us.

Reason for being called Garp the HERO
He fought with roger countless times in the past and were on par.Not many marines could do that.Maybe except for Kong or Sengoku.And many people said that Garp cornered Roger many times in the past too.

Reason for being called Garp the FIST
Because his weapon of choice is his fist. Earlier on in the anime,he "punched" cannonballs towards the SHs.Then he punched a hole through the wall at water 7.Recently,the war at marineford.He prevented marco(in full phoenix form and flying)from rescuing Ace.By punching him in the face.Now the most recent one.He punched a member of the BB pirates.
Now name me a scene where Garp fought seriously with swords and guns.Thus earning him the nickname Garp the Hero/Fist

BlindMunkey
February 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
@ MaiSiaoSiao
i said correct me if im wrong not explain me why he is called what he is called. but thanks nonetheless.