PDA

View Full Version : Discussion What's Up With the Black Ball?

Gold Knight
February 07, 2007, 12:12 PM
In recent chapters, it's become obvious that the Black Ball is acting strangely and outside of its normal parameters (ie. sending the Tokyo "players" to Osaka, regular people being able to see them, and so on.) What do you think is happening?

zindryr
February 07, 2007, 12:28 PM
Gantz has been imperfect from the beginning. Remember the very first 'love-interest'? She was transported into the Room even though she didn't really die, so there were two of her in existence. Gantz is imperfect. I'm assuming we might just find out why later on.

Gold Knight
February 07, 2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, but I'm going by the assumption that that kind of thing had always happened before where a copy of somebody who was supposed to die was made prematurely, and the original lived on. Ditto with random animals being beamed up.

But I doubt it would have been in Gantz's best interests for his "players" to be exposed to the whole world.

Maybe it's suffering some technical difficulties? Heh.

xi0
February 07, 2007, 01:49 PM
Can we really call him "he" though? It's obvious that there is more than one Black Ball, and they all seemingly vary in size. This means that Gantz is much more of an entity than a singular person. There are so many unanswered questions!

Gold Knight
February 10, 2007, 01:51 AM
Well, in this case I'm primarily talking about the Tokyo Gantz. And he always seemed male to me, heh.

xi0
February 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hehe. Well the human body that's "plugged" into the Gantz Ball definitely is male.

dedal_x
February 13, 2007, 10:02 AM
Well, you think that is strange!? I think the whole Idea of teleportaing dying people and making them play the murderous game is much much more strange...

BTW, how the hell do all those weapons hide into the ball, if there's a guy inside. Judging from the pics, all those weapon shelves have no room to be in there...

xi0
February 13, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'd say in order to read Gantz and enjoy it you really have to suspend disbelief. It's pretty obvious that all those weapons wouldn't fit in the Ball, but maybe it teleports the weapons onto the racks when it opens? I don't really see that as being important to the series though.

Makubexz
February 24, 2007, 02:40 PM
Imperfect? Difficulties? lol, ur talking as if gantz helped the team, it's more like he wants to make things get difficult for the hunters, to strenghten them up and so the weak ones, like takeshi die, that's why i think he changes the rules.

kadodo
February 24, 2007, 02:52 PM
Well, I think that the Ball has something to do with religion. Remember that guy that was researching the Black Ball said that Germans worshiped the Black Ball?

I think they might go in Germnany soon.

As for why the Ball is acting like this, I surely don't know but I think the more the people stay in the game, the weirder it's going to act.

2ndKurono
March 12, 2007, 10:53 AM
maybe Gantz has a trick in his sleve , his up to something mayybe we should find out that soon ,.....

Ickorus
April 19, 2007, 08:09 PM
Its just my way of thinking but in every "alien"battle the aliens well there seem to be more everytime and they are usually stronger to. And I always wondered why they always said its a war they are fighting... so possibly the ball is acting up because the aliens are being more radical with their attacks and they need the gantz teams across the nations to take care of this before any more damage is done?

ssjasper2003
April 21, 2007, 04:53 AM
Well the reason for transferring might just be done by whoever/whatever is behind gantz to prepare for whatever is going to come next.

Well we havent seen anyone expect izumi pick the weapon so who knows how the process for the stronger weapons works out. Its not like there are points for the weapons.

I wonder when we will actually find out more about what gantz actually is, after nearly 250 chapters we dont know what its about other than killing aliens & getting points. I just hope it doesnt end soon, itd be a pain.

Davox
April 24, 2007, 09:50 PM
Can we really call him "he" though? It's obvious that there is more than one Black Ball, and they all seemingly vary in size. This means that Gantz is much more of an entity than a singular person. There are so many unanswered questions!

What do you mean they vary in size I don't recall seeing any other black balls.

And i don't think gantz is acting up I think it is doing these things on purpose, people seeing them in the oni alien mission and this most recent one doesn't really matter when you think about it because either way aliens are way more creepy then people that are saving you. In the most recent chapter 248 when Katou saved that girl as they walked off they said the gantzers were probably just the police so people don't seem to care so why should gantz go through the trouble.

xi0
April 25, 2007, 05:23 PM
In chapter 227, when the reporter was talking to Kurono about Gantz after he was freed he pulled up a a website that talked about the rumors of Gantz. They should a picture of a Gantz ball in Germany that is worshipped by a religious sect. It showed a crowd gathered around a giant black ball.

2ndKurono
April 26, 2007, 08:28 AM
maybe Gantz is da devil,or god in some way , cause u know bringing people back to life,but that reporter found a nice website tho ...

Davox
April 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
I don't think that Gantz is God or the Devil b/c they are omnipotent so they wouldn't make these silly mistakes like Gantz does nor would they put themselves in such a vulerable position b/c honestly anyone could kill the guy inside the ball.

On a side note I can't remember does Gantz actually say that is its name or does Nishi introduce it as Gantz? In that case is the ball called Gantz or is that the man's name?

xi0
April 27, 2007, 09:13 AM
I always took it as Gantz was the ball, not the person inside.

In chapter 19 and 20 Nishi does call it Gantz for the first time, but he says it has always been called that, even though he doesn't know why.

2ndKurono
April 27, 2007, 12:22 PM
i think its da ball and da entire game cause the ball itself is like a game , it gives guns , suits and u go hunt,comeback u get points then comeback till u get 100, i think its the entire game

Davox
April 27, 2007, 01:42 PM
I kind of agree I have always thought of the game being called Gantz but it just strikes me as odd when Nishi pokes the guy in the ear and says gantz show them the people that have died. I am just wondering what is the purpose of that guy being inside the ball. Is he functioning as an energy source?

2ndKurono
April 27, 2007, 01:50 PM
remeber he smilled in one mission when someone said that its all over or something but it wasnt and he smilled like a devil, i definantly dont know if hes human,energy source he mighe be even be the same alien,and his teh number one enemy i think well tahts what Kurono figured out.

GAT-X252
April 27, 2007, 02:09 PM
He smilled in the Anime, not in the manga.

2ndKurono
April 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
so?i havent said that he smilled in da manga

xi0
April 27, 2007, 05:22 PM
What he is saying is that if he smiled in the anime, it isn't canon to the story.

2ndKurono
April 28, 2007, 03:22 AM
i meant if he smilled that might be that hes human,sometimes i think that hes like that Jigsaw from the movie Saw -wanna live spill blood

xi0
April 28, 2007, 08:38 AM
You're missing the point 2ndKurono. Something that happens in the anime, but not in manga, is considered filler. Therefore it isn't a part of the story. Remember, the manga came first.

2ndKurono
April 28, 2007, 03:45 PM
i first saw the anime,my friend told me to check it out he gawe a trailer to watch i was like maybe some time lateer i forgot it then he refreshed me again i saw it and man it was so deep,but then i started reading the manga and it was definantly different but i dont think that some emotions are fillers cause in da manga there are some pics not a 20 minute show,but who cares

Davox
April 28, 2007, 04:25 PM
The ideas and driving force behind the manga and the anime may be the same but in most cases the mangaka is not involved with the making of an anime so they are merely reinterpretations of the manga and since as you said they have to make a 20 minute show out of about 60 pages, since one episode roughly equals 3 chapters, they add things to make the anime more interesting so they can end up changing the story.

GAT-X252
April 28, 2007, 08:59 PM
I really doudt that Hiroya wanted that to show us that strange function of the suit(you have to be excited to activate the super resistence?).

Anything new that has appeared in the anime or in the game(specially calling the Butter Dog, "Rice"), is not canon.

I didnt like to see that old lady every fu.. chapter, in the manga, she was only an old lady...in the anime, she is a part of the conscius of Kei, or something related to Gantz..

jide
June 01, 2007, 06:33 AM
I think the reason why they might use a man in a ball is because the human brain is a complex organ which he might use to store the memories of other gantzers in his head but that’s just a thought.
Maybe the man in the black ball might actually come out one time and answer their questions once the missions start to get really really tough! Now that would make a good chapter to see! :)

Gold Knight
June 04, 2007, 08:50 PM
Davox is right - the anime producers are not following the mangaka's instructions or anything in how they're doing the anime, so it can't be considered "canon."

Think of it like the X-Men cartoon, nothing in that cartoon went exactly the way the actual history of the X-Men comics.

Interesting thoughts on the Black Ball. I like the idea that the more people that's surviving each mission, the weirder it acts. Maybe its circuits is overheating because of all the people it has to keep track of, or something.

Loserbait
June 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
So what would happen when it reaches a maximum capacity for people stored in memory?

I wonder how many black balls are in Tokyo, let alone the world...

Davox
June 12, 2007, 09:20 PM
assuming that the man inside the ball remembers all the people I'd say he can remember a lot of people, a person's memory would be extremely large in this case b/c he doesn't do anything but sit in that ball really so I'd say definitely only one for tokyo and even Japan as a whole would have only like 6 or 7 imo

Nami
June 15, 2007, 03:34 AM
I think that 'man' is nothing but a shell only, with data stored inside his 'brains', he's not even alive in the first place. That's why he can generate past information and the no. of points. In the first place, with a thing such as black ball, this isn't a man too. It could just be an alien making use of humans to destroy other aliens :)

xi0
June 15, 2007, 05:14 PM
As someone mentioned before, the man's brain is probably just used to store data like a hard drive, and it may be possible that the electricity the human body produces is enough to power the Ball. The latter is sort of unlikely though.

GAT-X252
June 16, 2007, 12:22 AM
that the electricity the human body produces is enough to power the Ball

That remembers me the movie Matrix..XD

Is a good theory.

The man inside is like a hard drive, the black sphere mecanism only allow this guy to do all what whe have seen from him.

putopooche
November 16, 2008, 03:07 AM
i think that the visibility of hunter's to humans .. is because the gantz head wants to reveal the existence of it and what will happen to the earth.. for the tokyo team sent in the osaka is because of the 100 point alien appearance in there.. maybe the japanese gantz branch decided of two team's to finish the mission because 1 team cannot do it:p

Leth3
November 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
Having the man only be a shell fits the mangaka's profile, but I like to think he's more of a pilot jacked into the system. There's no proof that he's dead and the fact the Nishi had to touch the man inside, hints towards him still being alive. That or the ball itself can feel..

Amigo!
February 01, 2009, 03:55 AM
its funny that gold knight totally saw that gantz was messing up way before chap 290 so kudos to you mr.gold knight kudos!

Revilenigma
March 09, 2009, 08:28 AM
intresting article i found:

The origin of the name Gantz:
From 1974 to 1977 was broadcast on Japanese TV a series of "live" learning, featuring robots, entitled "Ganbare, Robocon!" (Courage / Hang, Robocon).
These robots were expected to learn good habits and social rules of everyday life in Japan.
If I tell you, it's because every episode, these robots are given a mission that if successful they reported more or fewer points, the maximum 100 points to receive a sticker in the shape heart indicating their degree of evolution.
But the most interesting addition to this history of points distributed to each mission, is that these points were awarded for their robot-teacher who was known as ...Gantz.

Revilenigma
March 09, 2009, 01:39 PM
interesting isn't it. I found it on gantzotaku.com, it's in french.

Revilenigma
March 09, 2009, 02:00 PM
It would make sense because Gantz calls Izumi and Nishi with -kun (same as teachers calling students) and the japanese character Oku uses for points is the same that teachers use for marks given to students.