PDA

View Full Version : Bleach 264 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
February 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
264. Don’t Say That Name Again

It looks like 260 has a much more legitimate successor for “the best chapter I’ve ever reviewed.”

When I first read the chapter, I wasn’t sure how I felt about the confirmation that A’Roniro isn’t actually Kaien. But now I think that it’s probably for the best, since it allowed her to face her guilt about killing Kaien more directly. That ended up making this one of the most powerful chapters in the entire series.

We got a very stark view of just how deep Rukia’s guilt over Kaien’s death was when she said rather bluntly that she’d willingly die if it meant Kaien would forgive her, even if only a little. We’ve known for years now that Rukia has always blamed herself for Kaien’s death, but I had no clue it was that bad. She didn’t look particularly relieved when A’Roniro said she didnÂt have to do that, either, which said to me that she couldn’t think of any other way to make it up to him.

But her reaction to A’Roniro’s alternative was what really got to me.

After all the shit that Rukia’s been through since the beginning of the series, it was vindicating to finally see her snap, and take matters into her own hands. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen Rukia get so pissed off before. I think that this will be an important part of the healing process for her, because if a fake Kaien tried to manipulate her through her guilt then she might find it less likely that the real Kaien would hold it against her. It was an accident, after all—and even if it wasn’t, Kaien would know why.

I feel that Kubo made us suspicious of A’Roniro so quickly in order to showcase how torn up Rukia was about killing him—unlike us, she wouldn’t find anything wrong with him saying he’d kill her if he had the chance, or that he smiled about it like it was no big deal. As to whether or not she can win, that’s doubtful—even if Sode no Shirayuki’s Shikai is strong enough to beat him as he his, it won’t do a damn thing when he releases (based on all the Arrancar fights we’ve seen).

But one thing’s for sure—I’ll be cheering for Rukia regardless.

Rating: 5/5

This chapter is going to be a huge turning point for Rukia. I can feel it.

juUnior
February 24, 2007, 11:31 AM
Nice review Gigantor xD

I agree, that Rukia now has some time now, and we can tell how she feels on aspect about Kaien ^^
And I also liked the end, that 8th Espada will be fighting with Renji (and probably fellow hollow to the rescue..) ^^

venicia777
February 24, 2007, 11:33 AM
I like your take on this one. I know, there are those who still believe Arronio is Kaien. I have, since i saw his face, always called him Espada #9 = trie identity unknown. Until the end of this arc or of the Rukia skirmish when his true identity is revealed i am still not too sure whether he is or is not Kaien or at least part Kaien.

Most importanly- i am glad of this development in the story for Rukia. For me, when she came along this journey-- i always held the opnion that Kubo was using the arc to finally explore Rukia. And what a way to do that.

gigantor21
February 24, 2007, 11:39 AM
I like your take on this one. I know, there are those who still believe Arronio is Kaien. I have, since i saw his face, always called him Espada #9 = trie identity unknown. Until the end of this arc or of the Rukia skirmish when his true identity is revealed i am still not too sure whether he is or is not Kaien or at least part Kaien.

Most importanly- i am glad of this development in the story for Rukia. For me, when she came along this journey-- i always held the opnion that Kubo was using the arc to finally explore Rukia. And what a way to do that.

As to A'Roniro's identity, if it is Kaien, then I think there's so little left of his actual personality that it doesn't make any difference. I think that the Hollow has complete dominance now, if it is him. Personally, I'd hope that it wasn't, because if he ends up getting back control of his body after Rukia kills him a second time, then it might end up making things worse for her emotionally than they were before.

And I'm really glad that Kubo is starting to use this arc to flesh out the characters more, since that has been severely lacking since it started. If he can do more of that with the others, then I'm sure that this arc will be amazing.

sahugani
February 24, 2007, 12:07 PM
i can see why you say this is the best chapter ever. i mean, if i wasn't already sitting, i would have been knocked on my ass by the page where she releases. also, while i still believe that it is the real Kaien, the mind controling that body is definately called into question.

gigantor21
February 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
i can see why you say this is the best chapter ever. i mean, if i wasn't already sitting, i would have been knocked on my ass by the page where she releases. also, while i still believe that it is the real Kaien, the mind controling that body is definately called into question.

Yeah, the page when she releases has one of the best panels in the whole series. I thought that was awesome. I can't wait to see where Kubo'll take this, though I'm not sure if we'll get to see it next week...

Off topic, we already know half the rankings of the Espada, right? That's crazy. The ones who we don't know now are Ulquiorra, Sleepy Bear, HAG/Ganguro, The Old Man, and Black Abubo. I wonder if we'll get the complete rankings before this arc ends.

alekosss_kenpachi
February 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
Damn this week i was off and could not post anything..!Exciting chapter really..but I was really sad that it is not Kaien..but there is smth that makes me wonder.Is there any chance that Rukia would do what A'ro niro told her?Considering also that when he removed his mask and announced his name (A'ro niro not Kaien)

This makes me think that Kaien has some control over his body.And i think that he will somehow take dominance maybe at the end of the arc and play signigicant role.Kubo cannot just have brought about Kaien for smth small.He will do smth big for sure.

Toda350Z
February 24, 2007, 03:17 PM
Gigantor, good review as always.

I do disagree with you on A’Roniro's identity... i think it is Kaien except he is the horse and the hollow is the rider, like when Ichigo's hollow told him they would swap places.
Another reason is when Gin says that he hates sad stories... i assume he meant Rukia and Kaien... since Gin would've known about what happened.

On another note i laughed when Gin said he's been lonely since Luppi died, seeing as he was basically asking Ulq to be his friend... and he got a strange look from Ulq... just thought that was funny.

dfcarolinaguy
February 24, 2007, 03:45 PM
Great Review Gigantor :noworry

venicia777
February 24, 2007, 04:00 PM
Gigantor, good review as always.

I do disagree with you on A’Roniro's identity... i think it is Kaien except he is the horse and the hollow is the rider, like when Ichigo's hollow told him they would swap places.
Another reason is when Gin says that he hates sad stories... i assume he meant Rukia and Kaien... since Gin would've known about what happened.

On another note i laughed when Gin said he's been lonely since Luppi died, seeing as he was basically asking Ulq to be his friend... and he got a strange look from Ulq... just thought that was funny.

yeah- thank for bringing up those opinons. The Arronio thingy- that is certainly one of the main reasons why most think he is still Kaien. it is highly possible.

Gin-- that guy is too sneaky. i dont think he hates any any sad stories ahahahahaha-- he probably help set up the Rukia Arronio encounter.

Luppi-- i always hoped since he got blasted infront of Inoue-- she was going to bring him back. But apparently she didnt. i really wanted to see a completion of his fight with Hitsugaya.

sahugani
February 24, 2007, 04:36 PM
yeah- thank for bringing up those opinons. The Arronio thingy- that is certainly one of the main reasons why most think he is still Kaien. it is highly possible.

Gin-- that guy is too sneaky. i dont think he hates any any sad stories ahahahahaha-- he probably help set up the Rukia Arronio encounter.

Luppi-- i always hoped since he got blasted infront of Inoue-- she was going to bring him back. But apparently she didnt. i really wanted to see a completion of his fight with Hitsugaya.

whew. finally finished mine

I'm a huge supporter of Kaien being controlled by an inner hollow because it would be so great for Ichigo's development when they meet

as for Gin, no way he didn't se that up. he loves teasing Rukia in the cruelist possible ways

Luppi...never really had any desire to see him again. I'd rather see new Espada fights

gigantor21
February 24, 2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

At this point, I don't see what the difference would be if it were Kaien's body controlled by the Hollow or a new Hollow altogether, unless Kubo is planning on having Rukia and/or Ichigo bring Kaien's consciousness back. Based on Rukia's reaction when A'Roniro revealed he wasn't Kaien (in mind anyway), that's probably not happening. He was acting like Kaien for the most part, anyway, so there's no way that he'd convince her that he's really Kaien, now.

Gold Knight
February 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
Agreed completely with your review. Lots of emotion in this chapter, and I saw it as a big chapter for Rukia as well. I hope she gets that guilt out of the way though. She needs to realize that she really had no other choice, and that Kaien was basically already dead even before she dealt the finishing blow.

gigantor21
February 25, 2007, 11:08 AM
Agreed completely with your review. Lots of emotion in this chapter, and I saw it as a big chapter for Rukia as well. I hope she gets that guilt out of the way though. She needs to realize that she really had no other choice, and that Kaien was basically already dead even before she dealt the finishing blow.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm sure that this will help start her on that road to recovery, since she hasn't faced her guilt this directly in decades (she didn't dream about Kaien trying to kill her during the SS-Arc, after all).

qwan3356
February 25, 2007, 08:32 PM
Great Review Gigantor21! I really hope Rukia pulls something outta her bag and whips the floor wit that guy, but as u said his released form is prolly going to own her. It would be cool to see Ichigo come in to save her.

gigantor21
February 25, 2007, 09:31 PM
Great Review Gigantor21! I really hope Rukia pulls something outta her bag and whips the floor wit that guy, but as u said his released form is prolly going to own her. It would be cool to see Ichigo come in to save her.

Thanks, qwan!

And I totally didn't consider Ichigo coming in and saving Rukia, either--that'd actually be cool. Plus, Ichigo could easily own Yammi without the mask, so he'd ruin A'Roniro's shit with it on even if he DID release.

Dayala
February 26, 2007, 08:50 AM
It would be cool to see Ichigo come in to save her.

Not really. I really want Rukia to seriously open a can or whoop ass on him and be all "Hell's wrath" for trying to trick her with her guilt. Always getting saved by Ichigo is starting to get lame. I liked it better when she had a bone in her back and I think this is the chapter where she finally regains her composure.

gigantor21
February 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
Not really. I really want Rukia to seriously open a can or whoop ass on him and be all "Hell's wrath" for trying to trick her with her guilt. Always getting saved by Ichigo is starting to get lame. I liked it better when she had a bone in her back and I think this is the chapter where she finally regains her composure.

Well, I guess...but look at it this way; she beat an unreleased D-Roy like it was nothing. She lost to an unreleased Grimmjow twice. So from a comparitive standpoint, A'Roniro is somewhere between that--and I'm sure that after he releases, he'd be close to Grimmjow's unreleased level.

I don't think she'd have any chance if A'Roniro did release, so she'd either have to attain Bankai (which would be fucking stupid), beat him before he releases (which would be pretty anticlimactic), or get help from someone. And Ichigo seems to be the best bet to me.

Sarmad
February 26, 2007, 02:13 PM
Great Review Gigantor! I know i'm pretty late with my comment, but better late than never ;)

So you actually said something that created an stupid idea in my head ... What if it's really Kaien who tells Rukia to bring him (/betray) her Nakama?
What if he wanted to provoke this kind of reaction in order to let Rukia move on and free herself? He's certainly no match for Aizen and he can't take all the Espada, so why shouldn't he sacrifice himself in order to free Rukia!? Ouch there are plenty reasons why he shouldn't but it's not unlikely that he does so anyway. He may be tired of living as a Hollow. :amuse
Ahh i'm sorry .. too tired to think this through .. just wanted to share my thoughts ^^

Edit/PS: What's the name Anime/Manga in your sig?

gigantor21
February 26, 2007, 04:36 PM
That's actually a very interesting idea, but as you say, it's pretty unlikely. Plus, I'm sure that this will help her free herself, regardless, so I doubt Kubo would do that.

(And I took that picture from a recent episode of Death Note. You should check it out--it's awesome.)