PDA

View Full Version : Review Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 343)

Gold Knight
February 25, 2007, 05:58 AM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8697/gkheaderqa5.png
Hey, that ice cream looks GOOOOOD! *drool

I had wanted to finish this review much earlier, but unfortunately I couldn't. But this was a chapter I think a lot of people were eagerly expecting - more or less the "real" return of Sasuke, in a sense. Will explain later in the Comments. But for that reason I did want to release my review sooner than I did, but ah well. Sorry about the lateness. Here you go though!

Just as well though that I didn't get to post the review until now for one very good reason. Fnuckale did great cleaning some of the early images in this chapter for me, they're beautiful! Enjoy 'em guys! Also used and modified some images from Kokotas' scanlation (with help from Allashandra and LadyHatake) for the rest. Credits to Touch for bring us the full raw (after only half a raw initially, lol), and NJT, Hisshou, Centimetre, and Winterlion for providing their wonderful translations. Thanks also to Des for my header and Kokotas for the cover image, and I couldn't resist using one of Dynamic Dragon's colorings for one of the images.

Doing something different this week, not sure if I'll be always doing it like this from now on, but if there's a cover, I'll include it as a separate comment from the 10 Comments. Well, sometimes I may not do that - but this chapter had enough to talk about that I ended up not having room for the rare cover as part of the usual ten! Hah! Alright, let's get this show on the road!

Hope you like the review and feel more than free to make your own comments. I'll reply to everybody as soon as I can.

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 343: Merciless...! * * *

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6782/sasukeeedx6.png
Oro, I told you to watch my back, not watch my...

Cover 343. About Time! What's this? Holy Uchiha Crest, Batman! Yep, a return to black and white covers for the first time since Chapter 330! Seemingly to celebrate the return of Sasuke to the series, almost on purpose. Been a long time coming in BOTH cases, I'd say! Colorists must be thrilled with all the material that they can experiment around with this week, not only the cover but also some later pages in the chapter. Ya know, I was thinking all along that Kishimoto was probably going to resume his cover drawing habits with this next arc, so let's see if he keeps it up for a few more weeks!

Anyway, there's little to say, really. An ominous image of Sasuke looking across his shoulder directly at the reader certainly sets the tone for the intense events we'll be soon seeing directly from Sasuke and Orochimaru's perspective for the first time. Nothing more really needs to be said!

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8422/firstcommentyayyw1.png
Besides, are you trying to say me SITTING on my defeated opponents is not merciless enough?

1. To Kill One's Emotions... or Not? Quite a lot of fallen shinobi on the ground, aren't there? I wonder if Sasuke used his command of electricity at all to wipe everybody out, although you'd think there would be at least some tinge of smoke rising from the piles of bodies. Of course, with the superhuman speed and uncanny abilities that Sasuke naturally has at his disposal, that's all he probably needed to knock everybody out. So, who were these guys, anyway? Some random army of goons that came too close to one of Orochimaru's hideout? Or were they just more of Oro's own toys that he decided to test Sasuke with? Either way, I guess we'll never know. Kishimoto isn't likely to shed any light on just what happened - annoyingly enough. But not really important, anyway. We can always use our imagination, right - it's fun and all. Alright, moving on...

We see here a continuation of dialogue from last chapter when Orochimaru scolded Sasuke for being too soft. Oro's certainly trying his best to milk all he can out of Sasuke's burning desire for revenge with the hope of keeping his student in the "darkness" so to speak. Guess he was hoping to avoid any possibility of Sasuke attempting to leave him. Must have been tedious! You know, having to, for the last two years and so, convince Sasuke that he still had more to learn, more reasons to stay with them, and just simply keep him around. Not letting him out of their sight. Day after day, constantly mentioning the name of Sasuke's brother to keep him driven. Wonder if we'll ever have some flashbacks, or even a Gaiden, to show what they all had been doing all these years while Sasuke was training with them?

Incidentally, there were some different translations of how Sasuke responded to Orochimaru here, too, as far as how he would act in front of his brother. In one, Sasuke said: "In front of him, I'll be cold hearted enough. Even if he doesn't like it." (A more extreme version was: "When we fight, I won't show him any mercy. Even if he gets on his knees and begs for it")!

In another, however, Sasuke instead declared: "When it comes time to face Itachi, I will become ruthless, whether I like it or not." Well, interestingly enough, the subject in the sentence was actually undefined, so there could either be "I" or it could be "he" in that sentence. Or better yet, neither. Kishimoto probably meant for the line to be deliberately obscure. Thus Winterlion's translation, which I used for the above image: "I’ll become merciless in front of him. Like it or not."

So it's really up to the reader to decide whether Sasuke was talking about Itachi or himself, but in this case it's more likely he was talking about himself. Odd, though, that he would admit right there and then to still being a little hesitant to kill without mercy, but I suppose at that time there was really no way he could deny it. If he fought a thousand men and didn't kill a single one, so it kinda showed!

Is Sasuke, then, still redeemable? At this point, certainly seems so! Surprised me, actually, but guess Sasuke's not THAT far in the darkness, after all - which must be why Orochimaru was egging him on here. But I'll talk more about that later.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4734/spreadymj6.png
Let's ride off in the sunset together, Sasuke-kun!

2. Rising Sun. So, has Sasuke actually surpassed Orochimaru? Boy, that'd be something. Even though Naruto may have at least gotten equal in power as Kakashi, he probably hasn't quite caught up to his own Sennin tutor, Jiraiya. As usual, Sasuke's leaving Naruto behind, but still, did Orochimaru admit to being weaker here?

Maybe not. Sure, Orochimaru said that Sasuke's even more of a genius than he was at that age, but get this - he was thinking about himself in the past here as comparison! Doesn't mean that Sasuke's actually gotten to be SO powerful that Orochimaru himself isn't a challenge to him anymore. Experience still goes a long way. This is typical storyteller intent, Kishimoto's trying to mislead the reader into believing one thing when it's actually not true. That way, a dramatic moment at a later point in the story will be more surprising and a little bit more unexpected. Which is likely to happen if you ask me.

By the way, did you guys notice that Orochimaru actually didn't look all that bad in the early pages? Heh. It was as though Kishimoto was saying, "Oh look readers! Look! Orochimaru is not always so gross!" Until, of course, our dastardly villain of the week opens his mouth and lets that tongue stick out! ""Well, it didn't last long, did it! Ha ha!" Classic Orochimaru, though!

I liked the sunset doublespread quite a bit. With Orochimaru's anxious excitement plainly showing on his face and Sasuke's own expression of grim determination following after, you had a feeling that this was just the calm before the storm - although, it's pretty frightening what "calm" applied to in this case - 1,000 men lying on the ground groaning in pain and Sasuke hasn't even worked up a sweat!

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9644/arbabeamt2.png
And Sakura-chan is touching me... hubba hubba!

3. A New Hope. Do you guys happen to recall how Sakura felt so useless in the first part? Of course, you do. And remember how Naruto felt so weak after letting Sasuke get away from him a while ago? Well, sure, that wasn't too long ago, right?

Sakura, of course, finally became determined to learn all she could from Tsunade so that she could actually help Naruto in their mutual search for Sasuke, and came through in a big way by growing stronger and more willful. And Naruto also eventually did his part by coming back to Konohagakure from the Grass Country and started training in order to obtain the most powerful jutsu he's ever had. The results? Two members of Akatsuki actually both went down... hard... because of their hard work.

Here, we see them in the hospital room, and as a result of Naruto's confident words to Sakura, I believe that they're finally starting to develop a kind of new trust and an even bigger comfort zone with each other as partners. They both feel like they've accomplished their objective now in growing stronger, and they feel more ready to take on any enemy in order to get their long-lost friend back. They've both done their training, they've taken their bruises and they've earned their marks, now it's about time to really take action as powerful teammates. Good for 'em.

Sidenote: Incidentally, when Sakura said that medical jutsus couldn't always heal Naruto and that he had to be extremely careful when he used his jutsu, I wonder if she was unaware of the healing power of the Kyuubi inside Naruto, or that she didn't feel like it would always get the job done either. Yeah, we know that Sakura realized that the Nine-Tails is inside Naruto now, but I'm not sure she still knows much about his healing properties. Just something I wondered here... well, probably not a big deal.

EDIT: chvis002 pointed out that Sakura did indeed know about Narutos ability to heal himself through the Kyuubi from chapter 297 (http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5030/v33ch297ukpage07pk5.png). Thanks chvis002.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5889/eatuphg1.png
You're the best student I've ever had! Here, eat up! <3

4. Got Ramen? A scene definitely needed here to break the tension of the overall chapter, first we had an affectionate Sakura willing to help her injured comrade eat his ramen, but of course Sai butted in and ruined the mood, heh. Strange that Sai, who had seemed so melancholy or cold in his first appearance, turned out to be more comedy relief now than anything else! But his blunder was definitely in character as he's got a certain bold streak where he's not afraid to do or say anything, and it's always showed in how he tries to get along with his friends. He just needs to acquire either some common sense or a certain sense of timing!

Kakashi coming in and starting to feed Naruto himself was pretty unexpected and funny in its own way, too. Not something I'm used to seeing Kakashi do for anybody. It was as though he was showing some pride in his student and was more than happy to help feed him! Or maybe we're just seeing the gentle side of Kakashi which Obito passed on to him. You know, despite Kakashi always using helping others as an excuse for his lateness, he very well might have been doing just that every day, just because Obito was always prone to it!

Anyway, the biggest thing that people noticed here was Sakura almost seeming to come on a bit to Naruto. Well, Kishimoto has always wanted to include romance in the series, but don't be so quick to jump in and say that Sakura and Naruto's canon now. They're still more friends than anything else - growing closer, yes, but still just friends. But he IS doing more with them, and it's good to see.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/863/hospitalyayng3.png
...I can still push up on my finger 1,000 times (http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6402/fingeruf9.jpg), so I'm ok! =)

5. Up and Walking! I was pretty surprised myself to see Kakashi out of the hospital. Even though he didn't use the Mangekyou Sharingan... which by the way, we've yet to hear about how exactly he learned - and I personally think that's because Kishimoto is waiting to explain it with Sasuke when he also gains it in a possibly similar way... the Sharingan all by itself, which he did have to use a whole lot in that battle, was usually enough to render our sensei immobile for at least a few days. (Remember his battle with Zabuza?)

Well, maybe Kakashi did improve his endurance and stamina over the time-skip to the point where that's not as much an issue anymore. Maybe that was a requirement in order for him to be able to train his body enough to be able to handle the MS. Was pretty obvious that Kakashi was trying to hold back on using the MS during the battle with Kakuzu, almost to the point where he was completely out of chakra. Was he trying to conserve chakra just so that he could have enough to use the MS at the end if he had to? Was that the reason he was so much on the defensive? Might also have been the reason why he was relatively comfortable in letting Naruto have a second chance against Kakuzu, because if he failed that, it still wouldn't have been the end of the world as Kakashi would just have to use his MS to finally put the battle to an end. And if Naruto's technique at least destroyed one of Kakuzu's hearts, so much the better.

Kakashi also being distressed here over how his students viewed him was pretty clever of Kishimoto, too. Sometimes I think our mangaka's pretty much in tune with how his readers feel about certain parts of his story, and he probably knew that the fans were becoming antsy about how Kakashi always seemed to end up in the hospital bed after every dangerous mission. Kakashi's reaction here seemed to reflect how the fans (including myself) were feeling about him currently, and I think it was a good move on Kishimoto's part to already have Kakashi up and moving around despite just having been in a tussle with an Akatsuki. His current health does bode well for his involvement for the next storyarc, which has to make Kakashi fans happy.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1171/06eae5.png
So, kid... don't use "that"...... too much.

6. Always a Price...! Kakashi's warning here to Naruto about the "bigger the jutsu, the bigger the risk," which obviously referring to the RasenShuriken, also could apply to his own usage of the Mangekyou Sharingan as well. And with that in mind, Kakashi might have been foreshadowing that Sasuke might finally suffer a set-back of his own as well, so don't be surprised if we happen to see Sasuke experiencing one very soon.

I mean, I've always felt that the Sharingan was more of a curse than a blessing, because it's more or less a temporary god-like power that has the possibility of ruining the body afterward. I've always thought Sharingan was something you had to pay a price with, because otherwise the Uchihas would now be rulers of the world!

I think that was the reason why Itachi wanted to go beyond the limitations of a Uchiha. He realized that even the Mangekyou Sharingan was a dead end if he didn't figure out a way to improve on it, and for that very reason, he aspired to be more than an Uchiha and destroyed his clan, which he felt was too content with accepting their fate, and left Konohagakure. Even as the Akatsuki's primary goal seem to be conquering the world, I do think they have other agendas on mind, especially individually, and in Itachi's case, I believe he's definitely just trying to somehow get himself to be more than an Uchiha.

For that same reason, also, Itachi might not care if Sasuke did end up killing him, if it meant that Sasuke had surpassed being an Uchiha as well. As long as one of them did it, and no longer have to pay the price anymore, Itachi would feel like he accomplished his objective. I believe that's exactly why Itachi left Sasuke alive and hating him. He believed that at least one of them would do it in the end, especially if Sasuke was motivated enough by pure hatred.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9735/08dkw2.png
Sometimes, I hate my job.

7. Not Taking Sides? Okay, let's return back to Oro world, where we find our snaky-tongued antagonist sick in bed and violently suffering once again from "Sandaime's curse," despite the seals around his arm which I assume are there to prevent his arms from falling off as if he's some leper. Gee, looks like the hourglass is running out on Sasuke soon, doesn't it? Or would it be Orochimaru, instead?

EDIT: It has come to my attention that Orochimaru has already rid himself of Sandaime's "curse" by transferring bodies and that he's more or less experiencing a state of body deteroriation due to "the result of natural decay of the host body due to the unnatural soul conversion's time limit," as sahugani so nicely put it. Somehow I had imagined that the "curse" would remain with Orochimaru even as he changed bodies. Thanks to sahugani and Winterlion for clarifying this point for me. I suppose the decorations on his arms are for something else entirely. Sorry for my misassumptions here. - GK

What interested me the most here, though, was how Kabuto looked backwards at Orochimaru as he was leaving. I don't think it was because of Oro's hollow laughter. He almost seemed to know what was going to transpire in a few minutes right after he left. Here I think Kabuto's loyalty to Orochimaru might have taken a seat on the sidelines, and he's leaving it to the upcoming confrontation to decide his own fate as well. Would the dread Sennin survive and continue being his master, or would he have a new master...?

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8513/08bkz5.png
Sasuke-kun! I told you I'm NOT in the mood!!!

8. The Power of a Genius...! Here Orochimaru is suddenly attacked by an extending, long blade of lightning that shot swiftly through the door directly at him. What caught my attention was the fact that Oro had absolutely no idea what this jutsu was and how it was made. Sasuke had just invented something that Orochimaru had never seen before, and considering his deep interest in all forms of jutsus, that's amazing.

No wonder Orochimaru was so quick to call Sasuke a genius. This reminded me of the Chinese movie Wo hu cang long (also known as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) when the student, Jen Yu, had surpassed her master, Jade Fox, by learning techniques that she could never fathomed on her own. Jade Fox, needless to say, wasn't at all pleased. Even if Orochimaru survives this attack, that's probably going to bother him quite a bit, as well.

Unless, of course, he gets his wish and is wearing his student's body...

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9035/09bpt3.jpg
You're going down, pal!
(Colored by Dynamic Dragon.)

9. The Return of Sasuke. Many fans already consider this the proper return of Sasuke. This is the fiercely independent Sasuke we're so used to seeing, who finally decided to take matters into his own hand, not willing to accept whatever others had in mind for him, not Konohagakure, not Naruto, not Itachi, and especially not his snake of a teacher.

The Sasuke that we had seen in Chapter 306, by comparison, wasn't his true self. I had suspected it then, and I'm glad to see that I was right. Sasuke, all along, was misleading his tutor into thinking that he was a little docile boy willing to "give his soul up" in order to accomplish his objective. At the time he practically had to, in order to learn all he could from Orochimaru, and so that they wouldn't get suspicious that he would betray them at any time and attempt to enslave him instead. But he still never intended to live up to his own part.

When Sasuke realized that his time was almost up, he had to take action. Orochimaru's sickness had been the trigger - evidence that he was about to have to do the transfer of souls - and Sasuke just decided that it was now or never to attack, simply because his life was in danger right there and then.

So he chose his moment to attack - not because Orochimaru was bed-ridden and vulnerable - but just because it was the right time for him to leave.

You might think, "so has Sasuke all along never needed rescuing? Was Naruto's effort all a waste?" Actually, I think Naruto had already rescued Sasuke - back at the waterfall. (http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5039/narutoch233p14gu0.png) I think the results of that are just now showing themselves, other than Naruto still being alive and Sasuke's decision not to be manipulated by Itachi. Naruto just never knew it.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6185/10cfi7.png
Revenge time for all these nights!

10. Still Full of Fury! I think Orochimaru always suspected that Sasuke would betray him all along, though - he's so paranoid that he keeps believing Kabuto would betray him, after all - but I think that he was actually hoping that he wouldn't have to deal with such a confrontation. Too bad for him!

Anyway, Sasuke here is obviously still full of fire and salt, and that's because he NEVER killed his emotions, like Orochimaru wanted him to. Think about it, if he had done that, what would he care anymore about wanting to kill Itachi? He'd have killed so many people by now, he would have become numb to the very act itself. Losing his emotions meant that he would lose his burning desire to dish out some revenge on his hated brother, and that was certainly something he wouldn't allow. He's a self-appointed avenger, and hell if Orochimaru was going to turn him into just some kind of killer. That was what Orochimaru wanted him to do in order to have him become a faithful servant like Kimimaro. Well, forget it, buddy. Choose your weapon and get up, Oro, you're going to have to fight him!

RATING: 5 of 5 - Oh wow, what can I say. When was the last chapter that gave me THIS much to talk about? Kishimoto's on a roll lately; this is the first time in a while that I've rated consecutive chapters a 5. Hopefully Kishimoto keeps it up because I certainly want to be entertained by the next storyarc more than I've been lately.

RATING ON SHIPPUDEN EPISODE 003: 4.5 of 5 - This episode focused on Kakashi's second bell test with Naruto and Sakura, and I really liked how they added to the fight with more scenes. Made it feel more satisfying somehow, yeah, even more so than the manga. Deidara was also entertaining in the episode. Both were enough for me to like any Naruto episode. The only reason it wasn't a 5 rating was because of the lag of the animation at times, Gaara not quite being done right, and that I didn't like that Gaara's fight was going to take place at night at the same time as Kakashi's bell test. (Are these countries even in the same timezone?)

Predictions: For the next chapter, I actually have quite a bit to say again. I believe that Orochimaru will survive and be able to hold Sasuke off through sheer will - and he has an advantage in that on Sasuke's neck is a curse seal that he himself placed on there. He can probably take away Sasuke's powers anytime, or even use it to drive him into pain. Orochimaru may not be in the mood to toy with Sasuke at all here, considering his illness, and he'll likely de-activate the seal as quickly as possible. That may not be enough to stop Sasuke from being able to injure Orochimaru critically, though, and he might still be able to leave on his own account. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to not see the end of this fight next chapter, and more than likely, Kishimoto will have a few cutscenes to Naruto and company again, too.

Well, that's it! Fun chapter to review.

Knock-Knock!
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/200/fin2eg6.png
The Boogey-man!
Comment! XD

sahugani
February 25, 2007, 06:08 AM
fantastic review!!!

don't worry about the lateness. that review was definately worth the wait. I'd love to comment on your comments right now, but its 3 in the morning in California and my brain is dead. i'll be back tomorrow

eni
February 25, 2007, 06:50 AM
Great review of a great chapter :thumbs

You might think, "so has Sasuke all along never needed rescuing? Was Naruto's effort all a waste?" Actually, I think Naruto had already rescued Sasuke - back at the waterfall. (http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5039/narutoch233p14gu0.png) I think the results of that are just now showing themselves, other than Naruto still being alive and Sasuke's decision not to be manipulated by Itachi. Naruto just never knew it.
Seconded. Besides I never saw it as a rescue from Oro himself, but more as a rescue out of the dark. So I don't see a problem even if Sasuke would finish him off now^^"

I'm really excited now for the upcoming chapters. We brought up so many theories and predictions about Sasukes further actions, that I'm not surprised anymore - whatever Kishi will show us. We discussed theoretically all possible things in the past month ... no ... years. My what a long way we have come xD

Luckas
February 25, 2007, 07:24 AM
Great reviews, GK.

6 - I would like Kishimoto would explain better how Futon Rasengan damage Naruto and if his classic night of sleep isn't anymore enough to completely heal him. Until then I refrain from judging, even if I believe the idea is logical, but poorly explained. As it was an unnatural way to raise the tension.

7 - I believe it also could be possible Kabuto is going to help Orochimaru in some way, I always thought Kabuto's loyality was due to the fact Orochimaru is the only one, who could help Kabuto in something he consider very important.

9 - Gk, I must say your idea Sasuke was saved at the waterfall almost blew my mind :D I really like it, it has so much potential, so many possibilities. It rally could give new directions to the rescue of Sasuke, which I always thought it would end up forced if in the end wouldn't happen something very traumatic. But now there are possibilities, I really hope Kishimoto is going in that direction, if not you really should suggest him that, GK.

Maybe, I'll add something later.

razor
February 25, 2007, 07:34 AM
yeah,great review GK.i even read it twice!^^

kadoman
February 25, 2007, 07:49 AM
Woot! I've been eagerly awaiting this review GK! :tem

Fantastic review as usual and I agree with just about everything! Love the pictures by the way.

9. The Return of Sasuke. Many fans already consider this the proper return of Sasuke.

Being a self-confessed, rabid Sasuke fan, I would certainly agree with that. I had some issues (which I won't go into here) with how Kishi handled his first appearance in the last arc and although it was good to have seen him, the experience was spoiled by a case of 'too little, too late'.

With 343, there are no such issues. Sasuke's return is bold, brave and right on time!

The Sasuke that we had seen in Chapter 306, by comparison, wasn't his true self.

No, and although I actually appreciated the radical new development (I think I might have been the only one!) to quote you GK, it's good to know that Sasuke isn't such an idiot after all. :amuse

So he chose his moment to attack - not because Orochimaru was bed-ridden and vulnerable - but just because it was the right time for him to leave.

We'll see about this. I'm not so sure that Sasuke is going to get away with it - not easily anyway. I think he's chosen the time as he sees fit for being right, but the reality might be quite different. If Oro manages to hold him off, it will show that Sasuke really isn't ready to leave him yet, that he really hasn't learned all he can from his lecherous master.

If it turns out that Oro can control Sasuke via the curse seal, then Sasuke has got a far bigger job ahead of him than he might've at first anticipated. The danger is that rather than liberating himself, Sasuke might become trapped there.

You might think, "so has Sasuke all along never needed rescuing? Was Naruto's effort all a waste?" Actually, I think Naruto had already rescued Sasuke - I think the results of that are just now showing themselves, other than Naruto still being alive and Sasuke's decision not to be manipulated by Itachi. Naruto just never knew it.

That's an interesting train of thought GK, however, I don't think Sasuke has been rescued yet. That might (hopefully) be the subject of this new arc.

Certainly, Sasuke sparing Naruto's life (twice now) and renouncing Itachi's method for obtaining the MS was a big step in the right direction. It also shows that he is not completely lost to the darkness.

But you know, there are degrees of darkness. Just because he's not lying at the bottom of the well, doesn't mean that hanging by a thread inches above isn't still a dangerous place to be! Naruto is still needed, now, more than ever.

Sasuke is still obsessed with killing Itachi, which, regardless of what Itachi did to him and his clan, is unhealthy and self-destructive. I think Kishimoto will use Sasuke to convey the message that hatred and murder are never acceptable, no matter the circumstances (a common moral in many manga, reflecting the Buddhist viewpoint) and only Naruto will be able save Sasuke from committing this atrocity.

Ironically, Naruto's good influence was what made Sasuke leave Konoha in the first place. Sasuke felt that his desire for murder and vengeance was beginning to fade and why? Because, in the company of Team 7, he was beginning to heal. Healing means accepting what happened to him and his clan, and moving on - something Sasuke could not allow himself to do. The hard part for Naruto is that, for this reason, Sasuke actually doesn't want to be helped. So I think Naruto has really got a huge job on his hands here. I think it's going to take more than his efforts at the waterfall to save Sasuke.

10. Still Full of Fury! I think Orochimaru always suspected that Sasuke would betray him all along, though - he's so paranoid that he keeps believing Kabuto would betray him, after all - but I think that he was actually hoping that he wouldn't have to deal with such a confrontation. Too bad for him!

Yeah! I agree that Oro is too smart to have not known that this day would come. I like what another member suggested earlier, that Oro will in fact, reward Sasuke for trying to kill him (after he defeats him of course). :amuse Oro respects evil in all its guises, and will only respect his future container more because of his actions. He is crazy, after all! :tem

cogknack
February 25, 2007, 08:11 AM
lets see what happens. place your bets.

ibra87
February 25, 2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the review GK! :ossu

I was pretty surprised myself to see Kakashi out of the hospital. Even though he didn't use the Mangekyou Sharingan... which by the way, we've yet to hear about how exactly he learned - and I personally think that's because Kishimoto is waiting to explain it with Sasuke when he also gains it in a possibly similar way...Agreed. That would be milking the most out of it, and that's what most mangakas want to do (get as much as possible out of every interesting thing of the story).

What interested me the most here, though, was how Kabuto looked backwards at Orochimaru as he was leaving. I don't think it was because of Oro's hollow laughter. He almost seemed to know what was going to transpire in a few minutes right after he left. Here I think Kabuto's loyalty to Orochimaru might have taken a seat on the sidelines, and he's leaving it to the upcoming confrontation to decide his own fate as well. Would the dread Sennin survive and continue being his master, or would he have a new master...?Well, for some reason I've always thought that Kabuto was pretty mysterious. Yet he's always there for his master, when you least expect him. So the most logical thing would be that he's going to hide now to be able to take Sasuke down when the chance comes.
However, there are two manga pages that might prove your theory right: this (http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2192/naruto10716np4.jpg) and this (http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9245/naruto10717gn5.jpg). He's feeling like he's pretty similar to Sasuke and that they're both standing out too much. Besides, as far as I'm concerned he doesn't want Orochimaru to have Sasuke's body (remember what Oro told him?) because it seems he really wants to kill him which would become an impossible dream if he has an Uchiha body. And, just who the hell is Kabuto anyway?

The Return of Sasuke. Many fans already consider this the proper return of Sasuke. This is the fiercely independent Sasuke we're so used to seeing, who finally decided to take matters into his own hand, not willing to accept whatever others had in mind for him, not Konohagakure, not Naruto, not Itachi, and especially not his snake of a teacher.
Are you one of those fans who thought so? :p, Anyway I'm really glad that Sasuke isn't so big of an emo as he seemed in chapter 306, because giving his body to Orochimaru would really suck. But I still don't consider this the return of Sasuke, as that would for me be the time where he's at Konoha again. The real return would be when he's finally done with hating or killing Itachi and is back to Konoha for good in order to re-establish the once glorious Uchiha clan once more. Rigth now, he has just showed his true intentions, and like you, I don't think he ever changed and just wanted to take advantage of Orochimaru (sounds wrong, heh). I also doubt that he wanted to kill Naruto, if he wanted he could. It's just to gain more trust from Orochimaru and the kyuubi part was just there to trick us readers.

Still Full of Fury! I think Orochimaru always suspected that Sasuke would betray him all along, though - he's so paranoid that he keeps believing Kabuto would betray him, after all - but I think that he was actually hoping that he wouldn't have to deal with such a confrontation. Too bad for him!I agree (and so does Orochimaru) that Oro has been suspecting it all along. That Sasuke was just trying to gain power in any way and would eventually try to assault Oro. That's why I think Oro won't be taken down yet. Normally I would say that Orochimaru is stronger than Sasuke, but with a body that hurts this much it'll be a challenge for him. But even if Sasuke beats oro, I doubt that Kishi would just throw Oro away but instead give him a comeback later on, perhaps in another body (possibly Kabuto's but I don't know).

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
February 25, 2007, 08:36 AM
Somehow reading this chapter feels like watching Star Wars.

The picture of Sasuke and Orochimaru standing in a big field filled with fallen ninjas remind me of the scene from Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, where Anakin slayed a bunch of puny Tusken Riders for kidnapping his mom.
Maybe the kidnapping of Shmi was planned by Palpatine all along, but we can only see it in the Super Special Deluxe DVD Director's Cut Edition of Attack of the Clones. Hmm....
Back to 343, can you imagine how those ninjas would feel after Orochimaru & Sasuke left and they regained their consciousness (since none of them were killed by Sasuke)?
Ninja #1: "Uggh... Dude, did we just get seriously owned by a teenager?"
Ninja #2: "Arrh... Yea..."
Ninja #3: "But he's Orochimaru's apprentice, so we got lucky he didnt kill us."
Ninja #4: "My wife would kill me if I came home dead... wait, that doesnt make any sense."
Ninja #5: "Anyone wanna grab a cold one? I'm buying."
Ninja #6: "For all of us?! Dude, we only got one scene. You dont have enough money to buy a round for everyone!"

Ok, on to Naruto. Again, Kakashi reminding Naruto about the side effect of using a powerful jutsu, reminds me of Qui Gon reminding Anakin to be more patient and the Force to think, not just for uh... Force. :D

And back in Orochimaru's Snake Pit, we then found out that Sasuke is a Sith Apprentice and Orochimaru is a Sith Lord. Especially after Sasuke reveals his (perhaps) spear-like lightsaber and the seal that reminds me of Darth Maul awesome facial skin art. :D

Great review GK! and sorry for the redundant use of Star Wars reference. I hope no one is offended. :D

Luckas
February 25, 2007, 08:37 AM
Just a little addition, there is something is bugging me in the last 2 chapter: the insistence with whom Kakashi says Naruto surpassed him. I believe it is so unrealistic, I hope he means the Futon Rasengan is jutsu stronger than anyone he posses.

chvis002
February 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
3, sidenote: I believe Sakura know about Narutos ability to heal himshelf, see ch 297 pg 07. Sakura says (thinks) " It's taking too long... If he were healing like before, the Kyuubi's chakra would be working faster" while healing Naruto

Prediction: Why attack Oro in the first place? If he wanted to leave then he could like anytime without attacking him. So he have to gain something from this attack and be sure that he could handle it. It could be that Oro could be a future threat, but Oro is weaker than Itachi so he shouldn't really be a problem if he could achive his avenger goal.
My theory is that he want to fish out some new techniques from Oro that he could copy with his sharingan and then leave, Oro dead or not. Mayby Kabuto will block the finishing blow or something. And yes, I'm sure Sasuke will win, he's not ruthless and take unnessisary chanses. And besides, Oro can't even laugh. But all this won't probably as you say happen in the next chapter, Kishimoto will keep teasing us til we go crasy.

Lastly, awsome review as usual :thumbs

yeste
February 25, 2007, 09:28 AM
Wow, a fantastic review GK… It’s been a while since I read your reviews, and I must say that I’m glad to see that you’re still writing them as good as ever! :) As razor said, this review is so good that I’ve read it twice, also! :p
I like all the points you made, and here are some of my own thoughts on some of them:

Sidenote: Incidentally, when Sakura said that medical jutsus couldn't always heal Naruto and that he had to be extremely careful when he used his jutsu, I wonder if she was unaware of the healing power of the Kyuubi inside Naruto, or that she didn't feel like it would always get the job done either. Yeah, we know that Sakura realized that the Nine-Tails is inside Naruto now, but I'm not sure she still knows much about his healing properties. Just something I wondered here... well, probably not a big deal.

I think that Sakura actually knows quite a bit on the healing powers of the Kyuubi. If you remember the scene when Naruto and Oro fought, just after the fight Yamato did his jutsu to transform Naruto into himself and suppress the Kyuubi. Naruto was out after that and Sakura tried to do some emergency healing, and commented on how Naruto’s regeneration abilities were much faster before… This led me to believe that she knew that it was the Kyuubi’s powers that heal Naruto that fast…

What interested me the most here, though, was how Kabuto looked backwards at Orochimaru as he was leaving. I don't think it was because of Oro's hollow laughter. He almost seemed to know what was going to transpire in a few minutes right after he left. Here I think Kabuto's loyalty to Orochimaru might have taken a seat on the sidelines, and he's leaving it to the upcoming confrontation to decide his own fate as well. Would the dread Sennin survive and continue being his master, or would he have a new master...?
This is something that I didn’t see when I was reading the chapter, nice of you to bring this up GK, ‘cause it certainly is something more than worth mentioning…

9. The Return of Sasuke. Many fans already consider this the proper return of Sasuke. This is the fiercely independent Sasuke we're so used to seeing, who finally decided to take matters into his own hand, not willing to accept whatever others had in mind for him, not Konohagakure, not Naruto, not Itachi, and especially not his snake of a teacher.
I have to say that you’re probably dead right with your observations on Sasuke. I originally thought that trough this fight Sasuke will somehow develop his own MS which will allow him to overcome his master and give him the edge in this fight. But, after reading what you said, I’m just not sure about that.

Your comments on cursed seal are also interesting as are the comments on Sasuke keeping in touch with his emotions. I might be mistaking, but wasn’t one of the conditions for Oro to successfully do his body transfer the need to weaken the mind of that person so that he can easily suppress him to his own will. I think that’s one of the things that cursed seal does to a person, making him lose himself. I guess the other thing needed to do to that person besides having cursed seal eating him from the inside is to make him give up on emotions…
Did Sasuke actually know what he was doing all along??? Certainly looks like that from what we’ve seen here!

Edit:

3, sidenote: I believe Sakura know about Narutos ability to heal himshelf, see ch 297 pg 07. Sakura says (thinks) " It's taking too long... If he were healing like before, the Kyuubi's chakra would be working faster" while healing Naruto

chivas002 beat me to it with this detail... :)
But it's true nevertheless... :p

Gold Knight
February 25, 2007, 09:32 AM
@ sahugani - lookin forward to it :)

@ eni - yeah, looks like our long wait is finally at an end and we'll be getting more Sasuke action, and perhaps get a sense of where he will go from here on too. Right now I sure can see him coming back to Team 7 after all. Though there is still a ways to go, I think. Thanks :)

@ Luckas - I think Naruto's healing factor is pretty weird, though. You saw Sasuke punch a hole into his chest, and the Kyuubi healed it right back up right there and then. But in cases where Naruto is not channeling the Kyuubi so much (or the Kyuubi forces itself to the surface), I think his healing factor works more slowly. It'll cure him of exhaustation and any scratches and things like that overnight, but as far as fractures go, I think it takes a little bit longer. Remember Naruto was in the hospital all bandaged up after a while at the end of Part 1.

Yes, I think Kabuto would prefer working under Orochimaru more than Sasuke, if only because they already have a working relationship and an understanding of each other. I doubt that he really expects Sasuke to want to work with him at all. But at that point, he wasn't sure what to think. There was no way in hell that he could get in between Orochimaru and Sasuke anyway - unless he wanted to sacrifice himself for Oro. Which would be interesting.

Haha, how can I suggest my idea to Kishimoto XD But I'd love to talk to him :D But thanks ^^

@ razor - haha, thanks for reading it twice. I'm glad you liked it that much.

@ Kado - I didn't mean to say that Sasuke was out of the woods by any means. I agree with you completely. I just meant that Naruto may have saved him from a worse evil.

@ Ichi - Heh, not sure that I actually understand your Star Wars allusions :s I didn't see Star Wars at all in this chapter, more of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, as I already mentioned in my review. Sasuke already had his "Anakin" moment way before this chapter, when Itachi killed his whole clan. I didn't see "Anakin" in him in this chapter. I also didn't think of Darth Maul when I saw Orochimaru and the Sith when I saw Sasuke and his "light saber," when I saw his "extended sword" I thought more of Izumi from Gantz. Anyway, glad you enjoyed my review :)

@ Luckas - I agree with you and I think Kishimoto is somewhat dramatizing Naruto's growth through Kakashi here, and I think this is a little unrealistic, too, in just how quick Kakashi is to put himself on equal footing or under Naruto. But maybe it's just that Kakashi recognized that he really can't fight as long or as hard as Naruto without completely expending all his chakra, his stamina, and so on, not to mention he usually always end up being unable to move around after a particularly tough battle.

@ chvis002 - this is why I enjoy reading replies to my Comments, you guys tend to point out old stuff that I've completely forgotten. Thanks for reminding me of that :) I'll edit your observation into my Comments and credit you for it.

And that's a good question, why exactly did Sasuke want to attack Orochimaru? It's probably just because he knows that they would bother him later, or rather, the curse seal may be what worries Sasuke. If Orochimaru is still alive, Sasuke may always be under his influence. It might be that Sasuke's curse seal might also be connected to Orochimaru somehow - that is, if Orochimaru dies, Sasuke dies as well? Maybe Sasuke's just trying to find a few answers here by directly confronting him.

@ Јесте или Није - Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, chvis002 already pointed that out, hehe. Thanks for reading :)

Thanks all :)

weixiaobao
February 25, 2007, 10:28 AM
Great review, just so much details and indepth...

Well the only thing that still remain a bit questionable is kabuto's loyalty... Why did he loyal to Oro in the first place (i dun remember why but probably bc Oro was different from other, a genious, and perphap bc of Oro's ambition)

With that being said, Kabuto may very well be loyal to sasuke if sasuke win (the reason could be bc sasuke is a genious surpass Oro)

But the other possibility was stronger however, Kabuto would never have any commitment with sasuke for sasuke's goal is just too dumb (for Kabuto's taste)... and not sasuke maynot be as clever as Oro when come to dealing with the akatsuki...

Again, great review....... X)

Gold Knight
February 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
What the heck? How did I skip ibra87's post? Didn't even see it. Sorry, dude.

@ ibra87 - Good points about Kabuto made and you could be very well right. And yes, Kabuto has been a mystery for far too long. That's one of the mysteries that I think Kishimoto is going to have to expand on very soon. Maybe this arc?

And yeah, I suppose you could call me one of the fans who thought that it was the proper return of Sasuke too ^^; And I wouldn't call his "return to Konohagakure" a proper return - if just because he was always distant. Yes, as Kado mentioned, Naruto nearly snapped him out of that, which is why he left, but he's still the Sasuke he used to be in Part One, and we're seeing it here.

As for Orochimaru's chances against Sasuke, I still think the ol' snake has a few tricks that he'd be happy to use against Sasuke, even if he's currently a little worse for wear. We'll see.

@ movingstone - thanks! And yes, Kabuto - well I already talked about him. And I suppose I shouldn't have said that last bit about him having a new master, that probably won't happen at all - but eh well, it sounded good at the time. >.>

LadyHatake
February 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
I have to agree with you on the part about Sakura and Naruto coming together more. They seem to both compliment and foil one another. Sakura provides the genjutsu/medical side, and Naruto is more the offensive. The both of them have improved exponentially since the beginning, and I think their partnership will pan out in the end. I'm no NaruSaku fan, so I hope this comfort around one another doesn't ever lead to a canon pairing >.>

<3 Perfect review. As always.

Gold Knight
February 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
And just imagine when, if ever, Sasuke will return - they'd really be formidable together. Ready to take on anybody, including the Akatsuki!

<3 Thanks
Perfect? XD Not quite. I didn't know about Sakura once mentioning that she knew about the Kyuubi's healing properties after all xD And it's just my opinions.

:glomp

Predator
February 25, 2007, 01:30 PM
....... Well, I must say that this review has come up to be very interesting.

Though, I feel like I'm expecting one of the two another outcomes and none of those you have noted here.

> Oro migrates his soul into Sasukes defeated body, but Sasuke's strong enough to keep control. That way he gets about three years of time to find and kill Itachi. (Bleach version)

> Sasuke wins and Oro's left there, but Kabuto comes back and becomes the new, medic-nin container. It's not like Kaboto hasn't offered his body before, but now that I imagine Oro with medic abilities ..... >_<

:thumbs

sahugani
February 25, 2007, 01:51 PM
Ok. i'm back. to start off i must say it is a treat to read your review as it is so perfect, this week especially. as a person who just recently started reviews (Bleach and One Piece) i don't know if its possible for me to reach this level no matter how long i continue

Cover - as you said, this chapter is mostly from the perspective of the Sasuke/Orochimaru issue and so the black and white Sasuke fits extremely well. also, i loved the Robin joke :amuse

1 - my bet on the identity of the 1000 shinobi is that they are Orochimaru's own minions. We've already seen the level of respect he shows them and so its unsurprising that he would use them as test dummies for Sasuke's strength. also, i don't think it really matters how he beat that many for 2 reasons. first, Kishi wont show us no matter how much we beg. second, the only thing that will matter is the skills he uses in one-on-one combat as that is what he will use on Naruto. I'd love to see a Sasuke Gaiden, but i think it would be pretty predictable as it would just be Sasuke learning something new from Orochimaru and giving Kabuto evil glares. as to the ambiguity of the "like it or not" line, i must say thats a nice catch. in addition to the direct ambiguity as it corresponds to Itachi, it also (depending on how it is read) could hint at a future return to Konoha. If it was in reference to himself, then it implies that he does not like killing and combined with his later revealed distaste for Orochimaru, it once again becomes a possibility.

2 - I agree. Orochimaru is not admitting weakness. instead, he is simply commenting based on his younger self. remember that was before he started the really dark experiments. at that point he was a genius, but it wasn't until he started the experiments that he got anywhere near his current level, so he is in no way saying Sasuke is stronger than him right now.

3 - What can i say? it feels good to reminice about how far those two have come

4 - man, i REALLY wanted Sakura to feed him, but Naruto's just not that lucky. this scene definately was humorous and helped display Sai's complete lack of ability to sense other people's emotions.

5 - I loved that Kishi threw in the jab at Kakashi for not being in the hospital this time. Kishi definately seems to keep in touch with what his readers' opinions are (or at least is able to predict them) and uses that to set up jokes. the latest one i can remember is Chouji's comment regarding Naruto's rasenshuriken being short range. i got a pretty good laugh out of that as i was one of the few that actually thought it would be short range. besides that, i think Kakashi's activity also ties in with the master-pupil switch theme. this time it was Naruto who used the big jutsu and was hospitalized, but he takes that hospitilization alot easier than his sensei would have

6 - the foreshadowing for Sasuke is a nice touch. Naruto used a big jutsu and ended up with a broken right arm. we may see Sasuke use a big jutsu to try to take down Orochimaru and a wound sustained from it will create an opening in a later fight. Also, i never even thought of that connection to Itachi. it makes complete sense though. Each of the Akatsuki members are ambitious towards their own goals (exemplified most by Orochimaru and Hidan), so it calls into question what Itachi's alternate goals are. After Kakashi's talk of the younger generation always surpassing the older generation, it can be assumed that Itachi took that to heart and has yet to decide which of the two brothers will do the surpassing

7 - This part i must call some question to your analysis. i figured that the sickness he felt was the result of natural decay of the host body due to the unnatural soul conversion's time limit. Sandaime only sealed his arms that time, so it didn't actually affect his health. as to the seals on his arm, i'm pretty sure those were there pre-Sandaime fight as the forearm ones can still be seen over the darkened arms in the earlier manga. i think the seals on his body are not in any way related to Sandaime either and instead are due to his own experiments with jutsu. as for Kabuto, i figure him as more of an opportunist so i agree with you that he is waiting to see the outcome of Sasuke vs. Orochimaru to see what his future plans are. He knows he cannot face either and so does not want to be around to show favoritism either way as the other will kill him

8 - I love that Sasuke has started to create jutsu on his own. It goes along with his style as compared to Naruto (and is also the reason people get frustrated with Naruto's so-called "lack of growth"). While Naruto's skill lies in taking techniques he already knows and making them more powerful than anyone in history ever has, Sasuke creates an arsenal of techniques that he can pick and choose from. the thing i wonder about that chakra blade he created is can he swing it like that? while it is established that wind is a cutting element, i've always assumed that lightning is a piercing element. i would not be surprised to learn that that type of form manipulation is only good for a quick long distance suprise attack, but is too unwieldy to swing around in an attempt to cut.

9 - As you said, this does seem to be the return of the real Sasuke. He's still just as cocky as before and figures that if he's already learned everything he can from Orochimaru, what more can that master do with his body that he cannot. if thats the case, then why not go after Itachi himself. This fight is to prove to himself that he can take Itachi and goes to prove that just like Naruto and Sakura, the core of his being has still not changed over the timeskip. Before, Sasuke had seen Naruto's power start to surpass his and decided that he had to beat Naruto to prove to himself that his own skills were progressing enough to beat Itachi. here it is the same thing as he tries to kill Orochimaru to prove the exact same thing to himself. I like your point about Naruto already saving him at the waterfall and all that has transpired since has been an act to gain power. While it doesn't make Naruto and Sakura's efforts pointless, it goes to show that each of the three, though using different methods to gain strength, is motivated by the other two to get stronger still. if what you said is true, then we finally have evidence that that till appliesto Sasuke as well

10 - I really can't argue with you here. I'm also pretty certain that Orochimaru suspected this would happen. the conditions of Kimimaro's and Sasuke's abandonment are completely different situations. Sasuke cannot put his past behind him and forget his emotions regarding his brother. He spared Naruto because he didn't want to gain power Itachi's way and he's probably applied that logic to other aspects of his principles. He doesn't needlessly kill because it is remaniscent of Itachi's senseless slaughter. The only thing he feels stronger than his desire to kill Itachi is his desire not to become the same as Itachi. if he let Orochimaru take him, then he would also be guilty of much death at Oro's will

as for next week, i really hope that Kishi follows this through and doesn't just leave us in suspense

amg
February 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
do you think the reason why the last arc was not that good was because of the lack of sasuke?. beacuse the minute he comes back the whole story picks up again ( not an uchiha lover )just an message to the uchiha haters out there that cry a lot from his power, what do you think gk .

godofthesunn
February 25, 2007, 02:56 PM
Nice

Gold Knight
February 25, 2007, 03:24 PM
....... Well, I must say that this review has come up to be very interesting.

You're hard to please eh, Preddy? ;)

Though, I feel like I'm expecting one of the two another outcomes and none of those you have noted here.

> Oro migrates his soul into Sasukes defeated body, but Sasuke's strong enough to keep control. That way he gets about three years of time to find and kill Itachi. (Bleach version)

> Sasuke wins and Oro's left there, but Kabuto comes back and becomes the new, medic-nin container. It's not like Kaboto hasn't offered his body before, but now that I imagine Oro with medic abilities ..... >_<

:thumbs

There are actually two paths that I think this story will go in right now depending on the outcome of the Sasuke-Orochimaru battle next week.

1) Sasuke defeats Orochimaru, and he is free to go hunt for Itachi to have his first confrontation with him in nearly three years.

2) Orochimaru defeats Sasuke to the point where he has to be enslaved by them, and it is left to Naruto and Sakura to finally come to his rescue before it's time for Oro to transfer his soul to Sasuke's body.

Interesting thought about Kabuto being Orochimaru's next body though in lieu of Sasuke, especially if the first comes true. That may eventually happen... Kabuto's offered before, and Orochimaru refused, always insisting that he wanted Sasuke instead. If Sasuke leaves them, then Kabuto will likely be the next body, you're right. I hadn't thought that far ahead. That might be more what Kabuto is contemplating right now.

Ok. i'm back. to start off i must say it is a treat to read your review as it is so perfect, this week especially. as a person who just recently started reviews (Bleach and One Piece) i don't know if its possible for me to reach this level no matter how long i continue

Ah, thanks. You do me too much honor. But you know, I never considered myself much of a writer. I think I'm just able to discuss Naruto because it's something I just enjoy so much. And I definitely have come to feel a lot more confident with experience, maybe you will too. I'm glad you started reviewing, I think it's really the best way to discuss chapters. Hope you have fun doing it and keep at it, and you'll be fine :thumbs

1 - my bet on the identity of the 1000 shinobi is that they are Orochimaru's own minions. We've already seen the level of respect he shows them and so its unsurprising that he would use them as test dummies for Sasuke's strength. also, i don't think it really matters how he beat that many for 2 reasons. first, Kishi wont show us no matter how much we beg. second, the only thing that will matter is the skills he uses in one-on-one combat as that is what he will use on Naruto. I'd love to see a Sasuke Gaiden, but i think it would be pretty predictable as it would just be Sasuke learning something new from Orochimaru and giving Kabuto evil glares.

You're likely right in all counts. (Though it is fun to imagine what must have gone on.)

as to the ambiguity of the "like it or not" line, i must say thats a nice catch. in addition to the direct ambiguity as it corresponds to Itachi, it also (depending on how it is read) could hint at a future return to Konoha. If it was in reference to himself, then it implies that he does not like killing and combined with his later revealed distaste for Orochimaru, it once again becomes a possibility.

I must have to credit Kadoman here for bringing up that little detail to me. I inquired about it, and got my answer from Winterlion, and figured it was too important a point not to address. I usually don't comment on translation differences in my review, but this one was just such an important detail that I think it needed to be said. It's really left to the reader to interpret it for himself/herself.

2 - I agree. Orochimaru is not admitting weakness. instead, he is simply commenting based on his younger self. remember that was before he started the really dark experiments. at that point he was a genius, but it wasn't until he started the experiments that he got anywhere near his current level, so he is in no way saying Sasuke is stronger than him right now.

Yes, I think Orochimaru could have been either perturbed that he wasn't able to be so inventive or creative in his youth, or he was disguised with himself for staying so long in Konohagakure and not seeking to get stronger on his own sooner. I think it was just a stray thought more than anything, though, an observation at Sasuke's rapid growth, because Orochimaru's still striving for immortality and if he gets that, he doesn't really have much reason to be irritated at how he spent his youth. He'll have eternity to work with.

3 - What can i say? it feels good to reminice about how far those two have come

4 - man, i REALLY wanted Sakura to feed him, but Naruto's just not that lucky. this scene definately was humorous and helped display Sai's complete lack of ability to sense other people's emotions.

It's nice to see Sakura not calling Naruto "baka!" for a change, at least. Though, it's funny - what used to be a love triangle of a Team 7, though, now has developed into a squad of people who call each other "baka," heh. Sakura calling Naruto baka, Naruto calling Sai baka, and Sai calling Sakura an ugly hag!

5 - I loved that Kishi threw in the jab at Kakashi for not being in the hospital this time. Kishi definately seems to keep in touch with what his readers' opinions are (or at least is able to predict them) and uses that to set up jokes. the latest one i can remember is Chouji's comment regarding Naruto's rasenshuriken being short range. i got a pretty good laugh out of that as i was one of the few that actually thought it would be short range. besides that, i think Kakashi's activity also ties in with the master-pupil switch theme. this time it was Naruto who used the big jutsu and was hospitalized, but he takes that hospitilization alot easier than his sensei would have

Yeah, Kishimoto does a fantastic job with making the characters mirror the readers' thoughts and feelings sometimes, in a way, the supporting cast thinks and acts just like the fans at times, and that makes us relate more to them, too. That's one of the occasional strengths of Kishimoto's writing so far - when he chooses to apply it. I wish he used it more often. For example, when Gai's team accompanied Team 7 to get Gaara back from Deidara and Sasori. I think Kishimoto was deliberately trying to save Gai's team for another arc, but that they were complete background characters without much emotion or anything to say in that arc still didn't really sit too well with me. And again recently with Ino and Chouji (well, for the beginning of their battle with Kakuzu at least).

But anyway, I digress!

6 - the foreshadowing for Sasuke is a nice touch. Naruto used a big jutsu and ended up with a broken right arm. we may see Sasuke use a big jutsu to try to take down Orochimaru and a wound sustained from it will create an opening in a later fight. Also, i never even thought of that connection to Itachi. it makes complete sense though. Each of the Akatsuki members are ambitious towards their own goals (exemplified most by Orochimaru and Hidan), so it calls into question what Itachi's alternate goals are. After Kakashi's talk of the younger generation always surpassing the older generation, it can be assumed that Itachi took that to heart and has yet to decide which of the two brothers will do the surpassing

Yeah, interesting theory isn't it? Kind of a recent one I've come up with too, in the last week. So far I think that one the best so far for Itachi's motivations... I've always attempted to try to figure out what could have driven him to destroy his clan, why he left Sasuke alive, and so forth. In a way Itachi's my favorite villain in the whole series because he still to this date is an intriguing mystery, but I think I might have finally settled on my feelings about why he did everything (almost). Now the waiting game starts to find out if I'm right or not... heh!

7 - This part i must call some question to your analysis. i figured that the sickness he felt was the result of natural decay of the host body due to the unnatural soul conversion's time limit. Sandaime only sealed his arms that time, so it didn't actually affect his health. as to the seals on his arm, i'm pretty sure those were there pre-Sandaime fight as the forearm ones can still be seen over the darkened arms in the earlier manga. i think the seals on his body are not in any way related to Sandaime either and instead are due to his own experiments with jutsu. as for Kabuto, i figure him as more of an opportunist so i agree with you that he is waiting to see the outcome of Sasuke vs. Orochimaru to see what his future plans are. He knows he cannot face either and so does not want to be around to show favoritism either way as the other will kill him

Hmm.... good point. I thought these seals on his body were to stop his arms from darkening and bloodying, but I'll check into what you said and see if his forearms had these seals in the old chapters. I don't remember any.

But I think he's still being affected by Sandaime's curse, because I see Sandaime's jutsu as having taken part of Orochimaru's spirit with it - so making him lose control of his arms, and thereby having to borrow from other people's spirit in order to regain use of his arms, and I always thought that would remain with him.

But you could be right that the "curse" abated for good when he transferred bodies. Well, I suppose Orochimaru wouldn't have been able to lift his arms to block Sasuke's attack if the "curse" was still in effect, so that does seem to be supporting your points. Well, maybe we'll get to the bottom of that soon enough.

By the way that was a nice way to put it. "The result of natural decay of the host body due to the unnatural soul conversion's time limit." Definitely sounds like what could be happening.

8 - I love that Sasuke has started to create jutsu on his own. It goes along with his style as compared to Naruto (and is also the reason people get frustrated with Naruto's so-called "lack of growth"). While Naruto's skill lies in taking techniques he already knows and making them more powerful than anyone in history ever has, Sasuke creates an arsenal of techniques that he can pick and choose from. the thing i wonder about that chakra blade he created is can he swing it like that? while it is established that wind is a cutting element, i've always assumed that lightning is a piercing element. i would not be surprised to learn that that type of form manipulation is only good for a quick long distance suprise attack, but is too unwieldy to swing around in an attempt to cut.

Hmm, good thoughts. We'll see soon enough on that too I suppose.

9 - As you said, this does seem to be the return of the real Sasuke. He's still just as cocky as before and figures that if he's already learned everything he can from Orochimaru, what more can that master do with his body that he cannot. if thats the case, then why not go after Itachi himself. This fight is to prove to himself that he can take Itachi and goes to prove that just like Naruto and Sakura, the core of his being has still not changed over the timeskip. Before, Sasuke had seen Naruto's power start to surpass his and decided that he had to beat Naruto to prove to himself that his own skills were progressing enough to beat Itachi. here it is the same thing as he tries to kill Orochimaru to prove the exact same thing to himself. I like your point about Naruto already saving him at the waterfall and all that has transpired since has been an act to gain power. While it doesn't make Naruto and Sakura's efforts pointless, it goes to show that each of the three, though using different methods to gain strength, is motivated by the other two to get stronger still. if what you said is true, then we finally have evidence that that till appliesto Sasuke as well

Agreed.

10 - I really can't argue with you here. I'm also pretty certain that Orochimaru suspected this would happen. the conditions of Kimimaro's and Sasuke's abandonment are completely different situations. Sasuke cannot put his past behind him and forget his emotions regarding his brother. He spared Naruto because he didn't want to gain power Itachi's way and he's probably applied that logic to other aspects of his principles. He doesn't needlessly kill because it is remaniscent of Itachi's senseless slaughter. The only thing he feels stronger than his desire to kill Itachi is his desire not to become the same as Itachi. if he let Orochimaru take him, then he would also be guilty of much death at Oro's will

Yeah, I can only nod at what you just said :)

as for next week, i really hope that Kishi follows this through and doesn't just leave us in suspense

Most likely he will, but I don't mind if it's only two chapters at most... >.>

do you think the reason why the last arc was not that good was because of the lack of sasuke?. beacuse the minute he comes back the whole story picks up again ( not an uchiha lover )just an message to the uchiha haters out there that cry a lot from his power, what do you think gk .

No, it was just poor writing in some parts that I didn't like. Lack of Sasuke had nothing to do with how I felt about the last arc, but for reasons I already listed here (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=10817.msg340883#msg340883) (in another thread) I actually don't think the last arc was all that bad.

The problem was how Kishimoto executed it. In some parts, the story dragged on, in others, we were left with not so much of an excitement of finding out what would happen next.

Though Kishimoto does seem to be at his best lately when writing chapters with Sasuke involved. Chapter 307 (with Sasuke's explanation to Naruto about his actions) still stands as one of my favorite chapters dramatically in the whole series. I suppose Kishimoto must actually be happy to get back to involving Sasuke in the story.

But I'm not too much of a Sasuke fan either, so... I'm more of just a fan of what's going on right now.

Nice

Thanks, heh.

venicia777
February 25, 2007, 03:33 PM
Nice comments GK. I will come back later to do more comments on this.

i honestly dont think Sasuke not being in the arc did anything of that sort. Story picking up-- i will bet it may the same if Naruto gets taken out of his story and comes back in just one chapter with such a visual presentation.

well, i personally think Kishimoto rushed some of the parts in the previous arc. i actually started to listening to those and seeing the points of those who kept griping about how Naruto Part 1 was way better than part 2.

fatboy812000
February 25, 2007, 04:02 PM
great comments as usual GK .
:smile-big its really crazy and i kid u not but i was thinking the exact same thing about your comments on itachi and sasuke and how itachi wanted one of them to go forward regardless of who it was but i l8r thot damn man thats just 2 deep cos i mean it is a bit deep for a comic but then manga in general never fails to drop some out there concepts and i think thats why thyre so popular.
next up sasuke vs oro wow :o like most pple i didnt think he wud just drop his body but i thot this wouldnt happen till after the itachi situation had been resolved so while this is definitely a great chapter could it be a bit too soon but well the way this ends will take care of that and kishimoto's on a roll so ill be happy with d results.
So wat next in the village am really in d mood to see the rest of the teams i mean he cant show us a Trex size akamaru and expect us to just forget about dat !!!! :mad , my only thing is i feel that naruto has some of the best supporting cast ever and some of them seem to be getting left behind.
anyhow great comments as usual and i look forward to next week.

sahugani
February 25, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hmm.... good point. I thought these seals on his body were to stop his arms from darkening and bloodying, but I'll check into what you said and see if his forearms had these seals in the old chapters. I don't remember any.

i got this from the three sannin fight. when Orochimaru summons Mondo, he has the tattoo on his forearm and Kabuto swipes the blood across it to perform the summon. i don't believe there was anytime actually before the fight that can be used as evidence, so i cannot be completely certain. however, its use in the summoning of Mondo likely means that one was not for his arms and if he had one tattoo for attack purposes, he likely had more and we are just now seeing them.

SilveryShadows
February 25, 2007, 04:57 PM
I expected the betrayal much later. To me, it'd happen near the end of the Manga, along with big battle against Akatsuki. It certainly isn't going the way I had thought.
Nonetheless, I anticipate the next chapter..

I don't believe Sasuke is able to beat/kill Orochimaru just yet. (Personal 'beliefs'.) One day likely, but I just don't think right now. One day the student will surpass his master, but now isn't the time for Sasuke. It's a bad idea for him to use the curse seal. He should know there would be side effects of some kind. Orochimaru wouldn't let Sasuke use something he gave him to beat him. Didn't the Sound 5 say something about it? I don't remember if what they said is relevant to Orochimaru having control over curse seal.

I think the outcome of the battle would depend on Kabuto. Orochimaru being sick, may hinder his abilities. Whether Kabuto helps Orochimaru, does nothing, or helps Sasuke, will determine the outcome of Orochimaru wins/tie/loses. Kabuto's motives are still uncertain, I'd say. Every time we had thought he 'betrayed' Orochimaru was proved false, but it's possible that he will go against Orochimaru this time (or continue with aiding Orochimaru. Either way.). But if Kabuto truly had always wanted to kill/betray Orochimaru, and if he does decide now, either he sees Sasuke with the potential, or Kabuto has the ability himself. Though if Kabuto's betrayal happens, it'd be a very bad for him if Orochimaru wins.

Naruto still has a long way to go to be on par with Sasuke, it seems.

Great review as always!

rokudai(ME)
February 25, 2007, 05:26 PM
at first glance of the chapter i thought it was boring except for the last couple of pages...but after reading your review...it shed some light on what's going on...GREAT REVIEW...THANKS...KEEP'M COMING...

Gold Knight
February 25, 2007, 07:21 PM
Nice comments GK. I will come back later to do more comments on this.
i honestly dont think Sasuke not being in the arc did anything of that sort. Story picking up-- i will bet it may the same if Naruto gets taken out of his story and comes back in just one chapter with such a visual presentation.

well, i personally think Kishimoto rushed some of the parts in the previous arc. i actually started to listening to those and seeing the points of those who kept griping about how Naruto Part 1 was way better than part 2.

Yup, agreed with you there, as already said earlier.

great comments as usual GK .
:smile-big its really crazy and i kid u not but i was thinking the exact same thing about your comments on itachi and sasuke and how itachi wanted one of them to go forward regardless of who it was but i l8r thot damn man thats just 2 deep cos i mean it is a bit deep for a comic but then manga in general never fails to drop some out there concepts and i think thats why thyre so popular.
next up sasuke vs oro wow :o like most pple i didnt think he wud just drop his body but i thot this wouldnt happen till after the itachi situation had been resolved so while this is definitely a great chapter could it be a bit too soon but well the way this ends will take care of that and kishimoto's on a roll so ill be happy with d results.
So wat next in the village am really in d mood to see the rest of the teams i mean he cant show us a Trex size akamaru and expect us to just forget about dat !!!! :mad , my only thing is i feel that naruto has some of the best supporting cast ever and some of them seem to be getting left behind.
anyhow great comments as usual and i look forward to next week.

Glad you enjoyed it, heh. Well, maybe we'll be seeing Team 8 soon enough, though.

i got this from the three sannin fight. when Orochimaru summons Mondo, he has the tattoo on his forearm and Kabuto swipes the blood across it to perform the summon. i don't believe there was anytime actually before the fight that can be used as evidence, so i cannot be completely certain. however, its use in the summoning of Mondo likely means that one was not for his arms and if he had one tattoo for attack purposes, he likely had more and we are just now seeing them.

Hm, went to that chapter (169) and it seemed to me as though they had prepared it for such a situation because Orochimaru couldn't use his own arms to do the summoning...

EDIT: Okay, edited in under Comment 7 that I was mistaken about Sandaime's curse affecting Orochimaru at all now. Winterlion just confirmed it for me. Thanks sahugani for pointing that out to me.

I expected the betrayal much later. To me, it'd happen near the end of the Manga, along with big battle against Akatsuki. It certainly isn't going the way I had thought.
Nonetheless, I anticipate the next chapter..

I don't believe Sasuke is able to beat/kill Orochimaru just yet. (Personal 'beliefs'.) One day likely, but I just don't think right now. One day the student will surpass his master, but now isn't the time for Sasuke. It's a bad idea for him to use the curse seal. He should know there would be side effects of some kind. Orochimaru wouldn't let Sasuke use something he gave him to beat him. Didn't the Sound 5 say something about it? I don't remember if what they said is relevant to Orochimaru having control over curse seal.

Agreed that I don't think that Sasuke will be able to defeat Orochimaru, and yeah, true enough, it was a little weird for Sasuke to think he could rely on the curse seal. Maybe he's going for a fast kill, or like I said earlier in another reply, he may just be deliberately trying to find more out about the curse seal on his neck and what hold Orochimaru might have over him, if any.

I think the outcome of the battle would depend on Kabuto. Orochimaru being sick, may hinder his abilities. Whether Kabuto helps Orochimaru, does nothing, or helps Sasuke, will determine the outcome of Orochimaru wins/tie/loses. Kabuto's motives are still uncertain, I'd say. Every time we had thought he 'betrayed' Orochimaru was proved false, but it's possible that he will go against Orochimaru this time (or continue with aiding Orochimaru. Either way.). But if Kabuto truly had always wanted to kill/betray Orochimaru, and if he does decide now, either he sees Sasuke with the potential, or Kabuto has the ability himself. Though if Kabuto's betrayal happens, it'd be a very bad for him if Orochimaru wins.

Naruto still has a long way to go to be on par with Sasuke, it seems.

Great review as always!

Yeah, Kabuto's motives are still unclear at the moment, but I think he'd actually rather Orochimaru win this one. He was never really fond of Sasuke. But nevertheless he's probably going to stay out of it until there's a clear winner.

Thanks!

at first glance of the chapter i thought it was boring except for the last couple of pages...but after reading your review...it shed some light on what's going on...GREAT REVIEW...THANKS...KEEP'M COMING...

Glad you liked it ^^

Stiluz
February 25, 2007, 08:55 PM
5. Up and Walking! I was pretty surprised myself to see Kakashi out of the hospital. Even though he didn't use the Mangekyou Sharingan... which by the way, we've yet to hear about how exactly he learned - and I personally think that's because Kishimoto is waiting to explain it with Sasuke when he also gains it in a possibly similar way... the Sharingan all by itself, which he did have to use a whole lot in that battle, was usually enough to render our sensei immobile for at least a few days. (Remember his battle with Zabuza?)

Well, maybe Kakashi did improve his endurance and stamina over the time-skip to the point where that's not as much an issue anymore. Maybe that was a requirement in order for him to be able to train his body enough to be able to handle the MS. Was pretty obvious that Kakashi was trying to hold back on using the MS during the battle with Kakuzu, almost to the point where he was completely out of chakra. Was he trying to conserve chakra just so that he could have enough to use the MS at the end if he had to? Was that the reason he was so much on the defensive? Might also have been the reason why he was relatively comfortable in letting Naruto have a second chance against Kakuzu, because if he failed that, it still wouldn't have been the end of the world as Kakashi would just have to use his MS to finally put the battle to an end. And if Naruto's technique at least destroyed one of Kakuzu's hearts, so much the better.

One little note to this. After the timeskip, it seems Kakashi mostly closes his right eye when using the Sharingan (see the bell test and the immortal fights), I don't think he did that pre-timeskip? I can imagine him discovering that only using the Sharingan and not mixing the bloodline eye with his regular eye, equals less stress for his body. That could be the answer why he's been able to use the Sharingan so much.

Great comments as always. <3

Saifi
February 25, 2007, 10:16 PM
maybe hes used to not having depth perception and that trrows him off , lol i donno
!

deathshadow25
February 25, 2007, 10:51 PM
GK it's always fun to read your in depth comments on the latest Naruto Chapter. I like the way you think of it in a 3 dimentional aspect and not so much in 2D like I have been.

I never even would have considered the fact that Kakashi didn't use the MS this arc cause he'd probably need to use it in the next arc, and that Sasuke was just acting for his teacher so he could learn more jutsu.

Also you can sort of sense this happening, especially since Sasuke doesn't use any honorifics with Orochimaru unlike Kabuto. So basically he was acting like he was just using Orochimaru for his jutsu and, he would be the only one who could get away with that because Orochimaru wanted his body that badly(does that sound as I gay as I think it does).

MadDog
February 26, 2007, 01:15 AM
Great review on the chapter.

1. It's clear that Sasuke is a super genius, but taking out a 1,000 plus mystery shinobi is almost too much for me. Whatever though.

2. Like you said, we're being led down the path of beleiving that Sasuke might have surpased Orochimaru, only to set things up for later.

7. Kabuto has always been a smart guy and it could be that he's hedging his bets. If he sees that Sasuke is going to come out on top, he's taking off. If Orochimaru is winning, you get the picture. Who knows though, if the CS has a fail safe which he knows about...Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how he acts.

Personally, I'm thinking that Sasuke will come out on top somehow. Kabuto may end up wearing nailpolish and a red & black cloak.

Gold Knight
February 26, 2007, 07:38 AM
One little note to this. After the timeskip, it seems Kakashi mostly closes his right eye when using the Sharingan (see the bell test and the immortal fights), I don't think he did that pre-timeskip? I can imagine him discovering that only using the Sharingan and not mixing the bloodline eye with his regular eye, equals less stress for his body. That could be the answer why he's been able to use the Sharingan so much.

Great comments as always. <3

maybe hes used to not having depth perception and that trrows him off , lol i donno
!

Would have been fun if that had been the case, but Kakashi did close his eye in pre-timeskip as well. (See this page from his battle with Zabuza. (http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4083/naruto29019ul3.jpg))

I think he does that just because it'd mess up how he sees things with his Sharingan if his other eye was also open as well.

Ah well. Thanks <3

GK it's always fun to read your in depth comments on the latest Naruto Chapter. I like the way you think of it in a 3 dimentional aspect and not so much in 2D like I have been.

I never even would have considered the fact that Kakashi didn't use the MS this arc cause he'd probably need to use it in the next arc, and that Sasuke was just acting for his teacher so he could learn more jutsu.

Also you can sort of sense this happening, especially since Sasuke doesn't use any honorifics with Orochimaru unlike Kabuto. So basically he was acting like he was just using Orochimaru for his jutsu and, he would be the only one who could get away with that because Orochimaru wanted his body that badly(does that sound as I gay as I think it does).

Always does ;) But yeah, Sasuke never showed Orochimaru much respect, did he? Oro might've been hoping it was just crude manners or a cold personality on Sasuke's part, but yeah...

Glad you liked the review!

Great review on the chapter.

1. It's clear that Sasuke is a super genius, but taking out a 1,000 plus mystery shinobi is almost too much for me. Whatever though.

Eh, somebody with his speed and ability could do it, although I'd have expected him to at least sliced some of them up with his sword >.> But yeah, these shinobi must not have been all that awfully good. Probably just average fighters.

7. Kabuto has always been a smart guy and it could be that he's hedging his bets. If he sees that Sasuke is going to come out on top, he's taking off. If Orochimaru is winning, you get the picture. Who knows though, if the CS has a fail safe which he knows about...Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how he acts.

Personally, I'm thinking that Sasuke will come out on top somehow. Kabuto may end up wearing nailpolish and a red & black cloak.

Hah, that'd be a cool twist.

Robotic Red
February 26, 2007, 08:38 AM
I don't know why, but I can't keep that creeping suspicion away that Kabuto has someting to do with Akatsuki outside of his link with Sasori. I have no idea why.

Gold Knight
February 26, 2007, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't put it past Kabuto. But as ya probably already know, he was formerly Sasori's own spy that he sent to infiltrate Orochimaru's hideout, with a jutsu placed on his mind in order to have him forget his mission in order to be more genuine in his actions and thinking (like Yuura).

But Orochimaru wasn't apparently fooled. He discovered the jutsu in Kabuto's mind and removed it. And then Kabuto had to decide whether to follow Oro or Sasori.

But what if Kabuto only chose to follow Orochimaru because he was just there at the time? What if he just did that because he knew that Oro would kill him otherwise? Either way, it was no wonder that Orochimaru was so suspicious of Kabuto in the first part. He knew of Kabuto's previous alliance with Sasori.

Kabuto might be the kind of "mercenary character" that will work for anybody whose goals support his own. In the Grass Arc it was definitely revealed that he enjoyed killing people in order to use for his own purposes. He's likely a doctor that just likes to experiment on the living and dead with as much freedom as possible. Remind you of anybody? (http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7530/naruto12109am7.jpg)

Since Orochimaru and Kabuto basically do the same thing, I tend to think Kabuto does tend to be more loyal to Orochimaru than anybody else. But I could be wrong...

midnight789
February 26, 2007, 10:11 AM
Interesting chapter thats for sure. Just wanted to say that I think sasuke's extendable chakra sword is just shape manipulation and not nature manipulation. As in the sword is just made of chakra and doesn't have any lightning in it. The reason I say this is because (in the scanlation I read) Oro says "The chakra's his, but he's never used this kind of shape manipulation". Either way I think I liked the sasuke from before better. This doesn't really make too much sense to me....but alas, I'll try to withold judgement till I see more. Plus I could always go for a good fight sequence.

Omega
February 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
Great review as always GK.

A couple of points that came to mind: Firstly I fail to see completely how Naruto has surpassed Kakashi. Kakashiknows over 1000 jutsus, is a very quick ninja and has the sharingan. I wont deny that Naruto seems cleverer than before and has a jutsu more destructive than anything Kakashi has but that wont necessarily make him a better ninja. In a fight between the two I'm pretty sure Kakashi would still win.

With regards to Kabuto I have a crazy theory that is almost certainly wrong but I thought I'd put it here anyway. His motives have always been unclear as he normally appears to serve Orochimaru but this isn't always the case. We also know that he was under a mind control jutsu of some kind from Sasori but this was later broken by Orochimaru. What if he was still under Sasori's control during the Chuunin exams when he went to the hospital to kill Sasuke, but it was broken since then? I dunno, it might explain it but there's probably a lot of other factors I'm forgetting. I may have got that information wrong, it's been a while since part one.

Gooba
February 26, 2007, 11:09 AM
Great review overall, there is just one point I want to make.
What caught my attention was the fact that Oro had absolutely no idea what this jutsu was and how it was made. Sasuke had just invented something that Orochimaru had never seen before, and considering his deep interest in all forms of jutsus, that's amazing.I think that instead of not knowing what it was, he was merely surprised that Sasuke knew that technique since he hadn't used it before.

Gold Knight
February 26, 2007, 11:44 AM
Interesting chapter thats for sure. Just wanted to say that I think sasuke's extendable chakra sword is just shape manipulation and not nature manipulation. As in the sword is just made of chakra and doesn't have any lightning in it. The reason I say this is because (in the scanlation I read) Oro says "The chakra's his, but he's never used this kind of shape manipulation". Either way I think I liked the sasuke from before better. This doesn't really make too much sense to me....but alas, I'll try to withold judgement till I see more. Plus I could always go for a good fight sequence.

Yeah, I might've erred in calling it a blade of lightning, and it might just be pure chakra, like Naruto's Rasengan.

Great review as always GK.

A couple of points that came to mind: Firstly I fail to see completely how Naruto has surpassed Kakashi. Kakashi knows over 1000 jutsus, is a very quick ninja and has the sharingan. I wont deny that Naruto seems cleverer than before and has a jutsu more destructive than anything Kakashi has but that wont necessarily make him a better ninja. In a fight between the two I'm pretty sure Kakashi would still win.

I do kinda agree there. Well, the problem with Kakashi knowing over 1000 jutsus is he doesn't have the chakra to probably even do 10 of the best ones in a sequence. If he knew them, Naruto could probably do all 1000 jutsus in one battle with the amount of chakra and endurance he has, thanks to the Kyuubi. But he doesn't, though, heh.

We don't know what jutsus most of them are anyway - I think there's a reason why Kakashi uses Raikiri and Chidori more often - it's just the most powerful jutsu he has that he can use with the Sharingan. With it he can usually go for a KO in most dangerous battles.

But, however, Naruto's RasenShuriken may have surpassed anything that Kakashi knows, including the Chidori/Raikiri. This is most likely to be true, because Sasuke also knew these as well and Naruto was having to train in order to beat these jutsus. That might be what Kakashi meant. That and Kakashi might just have been encouraging Naruto.

But in an one on one battle, I'd still take Kakashi over Naruto. Sure, Kakashi would definitely have to watch out for that RasenShuriken, but he's always been adept at tricking Naruto by having him attack one of his bunshins instead, or using the kawarmi no jutsu, like he just did in the most recent Shippuden episode. ^^

With regards to Kabuto I have a crazy theory that is almost certainly wrong but I thought I'd put it here anyway. His motives have always been unclear as he normally appears to serve Orochimaru but this isn't always the case. We also know that he was under a mind control jutsu of some kind from Sasori but this was later broken by Orochimaru. What if he was still under Sasori's control during the Chuunin exams when he went to the hospital to kill Sasuke, but it was broken since then? I dunno, it might explain it but there's probably a lot of other factors I'm forgetting. I may have got that information wrong, it's been a while since part one.

Yeah, it's all up for speculation right now :) I hope that perhaps we'll get to see more from Kabuto in the next arc. And get some answers. Wouldn't that be a shock.

Great review overall, there is just one point I want to make.I think that instead of not knowing what it was, he was merely surprised that Sasuke knew that technique since he hadn't used it before.

Heya Gooba! I'm actually quite glad you brought that part up, because I just realized that I might have been thrown off by a translation. NJT had translated Orochimaru as saying:

Orochimaru:
このチャクラ性質は・・・
What's this chakra type...

だがこんな形態変化は見たことがない・・・
I haven't seen a shape manipulation type like this before!

However, most of the other translations seem to imply that Orochimaru did know at least what chakra type it was, but not the shape manipulation.

Oro: このチャクラ性質は…
This chakra composition is…
だがこんな形態変化は見た事が無い
But I’ve never seen this kind of shape manipulation before.

Oro: ...The chakra's his...
but he's never used this kind of shape manipulation...

So while it seems Orochimaru knows something about it, I don't think he didn't know what exactly the whole jutsu was more than he was surprised that Sasuke could use it... I'll try to get some confirmation on that. Thanks!

WinterLion
February 26, 2007, 01:16 PM
At GK's request I'll try to clear up that line of Oro's a bit. ^^

The direct and literal translation of that line is:
"This chakra type/composition is...
But never seen this shape manipulation before"

And it's implying that Oro has recognized the chakra, but is still confused because he's never seen that type of shape manipulation before.

Gold Knight
February 26, 2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Winterlion :D

venicia777
February 26, 2007, 02:46 PM
THanks WL. That clears up a lot of things.

okay-- sasuke is back. And i am soo glad of this twist Kishi threw into the series . sheesh-- come to think of it sasuke has played some if not more of the pivotal moments in the show. His defection was one of the major incidents in the story and his resurgence now-- is just what the series needed.

i had about 5 possibilities/scenarios for which Oda could make Sasuke get his mojo back. The one i liked the most and was more of a dream than an expectation was him telling Oro -- "it's over crazy michael jackson cosplayer-- i am gone :rofl". and this was supposed to happen right after he has learnt what he thinks is sufficient and at the time Oro was about to switch.

His constant badmouthing of Oro (with Kabutos protestations) to me sounded more like an act of pretending to be cold or tough or emotionless- in order to get what he wanted from Oro. in one way to stop the many possible quibblings and/or interruptions from Oro to get him to be that way. and i suppose that was also part of his nature-- he needed that part to be an avenger.

anyways-- i dont think Kabuto will side with Sasuke unless he also thinks he has extracted whatever dividends he needed from beside Oro. And even if he helps Sasuke to defeat Oro-- i dont see them ever working together. Kabuto's aims at moment trace a parallel path to Oros-- and this encounter i see him waiting till later to butt in when needed.

Most importantly i see The Sasuke Oro fight going the way of Jiraiya vs 4 tail-Naruto. Oro has been all his life thirsting for the power of the sharingan-- he aint gonna kill Sasuke even if he wants to. I see him getting to probably near death situation just like Jiraiya did when sasuke probably gets to Curse Seal lvl 02-- where Oro may be able to activate his own seals and maximum influence On sasuke.

whatever happens though-- this is a most welcome twist.

Predator
February 26, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hey, Ken-san ....... I have one more observation that you didn't precisely mention in your philosophy comments.

Kakashi said that it's almost time for Naruto and his generation to take over, but at the same time Shikamaru got beat at shougi with "you still can't protect the King" stuff following right afterwards. :tem

Omega
February 26, 2007, 06:46 PM
I do kinda agree there. Well, the problem with Kakashi knowing over 1000 jutsus is he doesn't have the chakra to probably even do 10 of the best ones in a sequence. If he knew them, Naruto could probably do all 1000 jutsus in one battle with the amount of chakra and endurance he has, thanks to the Kyuubi. But he doesn't, though, heh.

I see what you mean about Naruto have far more chakra than Kakashi... but in a fight where one of the fighters is killed in the first minute the stamina of either of the ninjas is irrelevant. I guess Naruto's new jutsu could end a battle quickly but he has such a limited range of jutsus from what we've seen. I just hope Kishi plans to show us more; so far in the timeskip all he seems to have learnt is better tai jutsu and a slightly bigger rasengan. Other than "that jutsu" he must have something else.

Saifi
February 27, 2007, 12:00 AM
u know about a fast kill from kakashi..... naruto has in the past shown amazing resilliance to dying , i mean he has had a curse seal powered black chidori hit before n lived , soo.... i mean it would be preety hard to have a kwik fightwith him

juUnior
February 27, 2007, 02:45 AM
Superb review, GK, as always. No more to say :D

ophidial
February 27, 2007, 05:41 AM
heyz gk, totally agree with the general concensus
here, great chapter and great review.
i think from the very start of the previous week, from the sheer amount of posts in the spoiler section, everyone knew this was gonna be a big chapter. personally, sasuke is one of my less well liked characters but still, i guess he was pretty cool in this chapter.

about the actual chapter itself, i don't think that i can really add
much that hasn't already been mentioned already, expect for
my opinion about oro's condition. basically, what i would like is for his condition to actually be caused or aggravated by the fight against naruto and oro just plain pushing his body too far.
then all the detractors can no longer say that oro walked out of that battle unscathed.
anyway, a prediction i would like to see happen in a few chapters,
is sasuke wanting to improve his sharigan and deducing that other
than his brother the entity that would now know the most about
it would be the nine-tails. due to this he returns to konaha is someway, (either escaped or saved) and enters naruto demanding
info from the fox, who makes a deal to reveal everything
only if he can coerce naruto to release the seal or something.

anyways that went longer than i thought but
thanks for the review and eagerly waiting on the next chapter
and review.

kiddo7
February 27, 2007, 03:08 PM
You know that is quite an intriguing theory. I find it very believable that sasuke would chose to betray orochimaru as a direct result of noticing that he is not the most knowledgeable Malchik in town. And having a little chat with the ninetails would not be an all too far fetched impetus for him to make a surprise reappearance in konoha.

Tanuki-dono
February 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
God, I missed reading these. Funny how you managed to hit upon the things that struck me. Such as Sasuke not being so fargone into the darkness and the strange look of Kabuto's. I really don't have much to add since your comments were so superb; it'd be like reiterating the thoughts all over again. But yes.

Gold Knight
February 27, 2007, 08:56 PM
okay-- sasuke is back. And i am soo glad of this twist Kishi threw into the series . sheesh-- come to think of it sasuke has played some if not more of the pivotal moments in the show. His defection was one of the major incidents in the story and his resurgence now-- is just what the series needed.

i had about 5 possibilities/scenarios for which Oda could make Sasuke get his mojo back. The one i liked the most and was more of a dream than an expectation was him telling Oro -- "it's over crazy michael jackson cosplayer-- i am gone :rofl". and this was supposed to happen right after he has learnt what he thinks is sufficient and at the time Oro was about to switch.

His constant badmouthing of Oro (with Kabutos protestations) to me sounded more like an act of pretending to be cold or tough or emotionless- in order to get what he wanted from Oro. in one way to stop the many possible quibblings and/or interruptions from Oro to get him to be that way. and i suppose that was also part of his nature-- he needed that part to be an avenger.

anyways-- i dont think Kabuto will side with Sasuke unless he also thinks he has extracted whatever dividends he needed from beside Oro. And even if he helps Sasuke to defeat Oro-- i dont see them ever working together. Kabuto's aims at moment trace a parallel path to Oros-- and this encounter i see him waiting till later to butt in when needed.

Most importantly i see The Sasuke Oro fight going the way of Jiraiya vs 4 tail-Naruto. Oro has been all his life thirsting for the power of the sharingan-- he aint gonna kill Sasuke even if he wants to. I see him getting to probably near death situation just like Jiraiya did when sasuke probably gets to Curse Seal lvl 02-- where Oro may be able to activate his own seals and maximum influence On sasuke.

whatever happens though-- this is a most welcome twist.

Agreed about Kabuto, really. He's probably just staying out of this one more than anything, but he knew a confrontation was coming. And yes, it's quite the dilemma for Orochimaru right now, he's probably going to have to think about holding back all the while as he's fighting Sasuke, if he has to do that. And Sasuke is certainly playing the part of an obsessed avenger right now, you're right.

Hey, Ken-san ....... I have one more observation that you didn't precisely mention in your philosophy comments.

Kakashi said that it's almost time for Naruto and his generation to take over, but at the same time Shikamaru got beat at shougi with "you still can't protect the King" stuff following right afterwards. :tem

So? Even if Kakashi said that, there's still challenges ahead for our next generation. It's not completely their time yet.

I see what you mean about Naruto have far more chakra than Kakashi... but in a fight where one of the fighters is killed in the first minute the stamina of either of the ninjas is irrelevant. I guess Naruto's new jutsu could end a battle quickly but he has such a limited range of jutsus from what we've seen. I just hope Kishi plans to show us more; so far in the timeskip all he seems to have learnt is better tai jutsu and a slightly bigger rasengan. Other than "that jutsu" he must have something else.

Yes, like I said, I would still take Kakashi over Naruto anytime. And I agree, I'd like to see more from Naruto - although I think his bunshins are sufficient enough distractions that I think sometimes that's he all really needs to win any battle, if he has the necessary jutsus to defeat them. If he evers learns the same jutsu as Yondaime, you can bet your socks that he's never going to need anything else.

u know about a fast kill from kakashi..... naruto has in the past shown amazing resilliance to dying , i mean he has had a curse seal powered black chidori hit before n lived , soo.... i mean it would be preety hard to have a kwik fightwith him

I'm gonna assume you were trying to say that Naruto would be tough in a fight regardless due to his quick Kyuubi-given healing ability - yeah, he probably would be. But keep in mind that Sasuke didn't strike a fatal spot when his hand went through Naruto's chest - Naruto moved just enough to avoid dying immediately.

Superb review, GK, as always. No more to say :D

LoL, thanks :D

heyz gk, totally agree with the general concensus
here, great chapter and great review.
i think from the very start of the previous week, from the sheer amount of posts in the spoiler section, everyone knew this was gonna be a big chapter. personally, sasuke is one of my less well liked characters but still, i guess he was pretty cool in this chapter.

Thanks and yeah, a Sasuke appearance is reason enough for excitement if just because it means that more significant storylines should be ahead now.

about the actual chapter itself, i don't think that i can really add
much that hasn't already been mentioned already, expect for
my opinion about oro's condition. basically, what i would like is for his condition to actually be caused or aggravated by the fight against naruto and oro just plain pushing his body too far.
then all the detractors can no longer say that oro walked out of that battle unscathed.

I think we already saw that when Oro was fighting against four-tailed Naruto. He wasn't able to finish that fight due to his body growing weaker.

anyway, a prediction i would like to see happen in a few chapters,
is sasuke wanting to improve his sharigan and deducing that other
than his brother the entity that would now know the most about
it would be the nine-tails. due to this he returns to konaha is someway, (either escaped or saved) and enters naruto demanding
info from the fox, who makes a deal to reveal everything
only if he can coerce naruto to release the seal or something.

anyways that went longer than i thought but
thanks for the review and eagerly waiting on the next chapter
and review.

Cool theory and you might be right that the Nine Tails might have some answers for Sasuke down the line... thanks :)

You know that is quite an intriguing theory. I find it very believable that sasuke would chose to betray orochimaru as a direct result of noticing that he is not the most knowledgeable Malchik in town. And having a little chat with the ninetails would not be an all too far fetched impetus for him to make a surprise reappearance in konoha.

Could be.

God, I missed reading these. Funny how you managed to hit upon the things that struck me. Such as Sasuke not being so fargone into the darkness and the strange look of Kabuto's. I really don't have much to add since your comments were so superb; it'd be like reiterating the thoughts all over again. But yes.

Thanks Erin :glomp I'm glad you enjoyed it on your day of relaxation :woo

Well, that's it from me for 343 ;) Going to the Spoilers area now. Thanks all for your posts :)

venicia777
February 28, 2007, 01:09 AM
Agreed about Kabuto, really. He's probably just staying out of this one more than anything, but he knew a confrontation was coming. And yes, it's quite the dilemma for Orochimaru right now, he's probably going to have to think about holding back all the while as he's fighting Sasuke, if he has to do that.

Yeah-- i am sure Kabuto knew or expected something of the sort. Otherwise his i will really start to doubt his intelligence. The way sasuke behaved-- for about 3 years so far, anyone as smart as Kabuto and/or Oro will expect at least two possibilities. An Act for cunning betrayal or true behavior.

and Oro will definately have to hold back. He cant kill the object of his dreams. I really dont know what he will do if he fights that way and gets into a life or death situation.

I dont see Oro being killed off of the series but if he loses-- what will he become? Another voldermort :p

And Sasuke is certainly playing the part of an obsessed avenger right now, you're right.

obsessed avenger-- yes. Now looking at what Sasuke did when met team Yamato-- i wonder if he knew Oro was nearby and was putting on an act.

anyways-- he is really obsessed. Just look at what he has done in the past 3 years. And looking at how he is still soft (he didnt kill those hundreds of ninjas) i wonder if his avenger duties starts from Oro-- like for all the evil Oro did in konoha and to his friends and his evil intentions for sasuke himself. Defeating Oro may actualize his role as an avenger- and the completion of it- Itachi.

iThePirate
February 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
7. Not Taking Sides? Okay, let's return back to Oro world, where we find our snaky-tongued antagonist sick in bed and violently suffering once again from "Sandaime's curse,"....

'bout that, I thought that Sandaime's curse still was in effect aswell.
Since it was all that "souls in the stomach of the god of death fight for eternity" thing I thought that it wouldnt matter if he switched bodies since his soul misses its "arms" or whatever.
And to top it off I just had a big discussion 'bout this supporting my theory to the verge of insanity, man I feel stupid :XD

Overall though a very nice review and I have to start reading these more often.

Luckas
February 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
About the seal that Sandaime put on Orochimaru I always thought it was lame that Orochimaru could have been solved the problem just transfering to another body.

Shouji
February 28, 2007, 03:51 PM
great review , one thing , i think orochimaru is getting rejection of this body because it didnt have the cursed seal on irt before

iThePirate
February 28, 2007, 03:57 PM
About the seal that Sandaime put on Orochimaru I always thought it was lame that Orochimaru could have been solved the problem just transfering to another body.

Yeah, I mean, it was an "ultimate-forbidden-super-jutsu" from the genius hokage.
Can't remember if it's confirmed that oro is rid of the curse though.

Gold Knight
March 01, 2007, 12:17 PM
'bout that, I thought that Sandaime's curse still was in effect aswell.
Since it was all that "souls in the stomach of the god of death fight for eternity" thing I thought that it wouldnt matter if he switched bodies since his soul misses its "arms" or whatever.
And to top it off I just had a big discussion 'bout this supporting my theory to the verge of insanity, man I feel stupid :XD

Overall though a very nice review and I have to start reading these more often.

Don't feel stupid, I thought the same thing, so... >.> And I don't feel stupid, it's just something that was never really discussed in the manga. Orochimaru did say that he had another solution instead of Tsunade's healing to get his arms back, and I guess it was just jumping to another body. I think he just wanted the healing so that he could more easily wait for Sasuke to fall into his trap, but he ended up having to try to get him himself. It was a good thing that Sasuke didn't arrive at Orochimaru's hideout before he had to transfer to another body, though.

Exactly!

great review , one thing , i think orochimaru is getting rejection of this body because it didnt have the cursed seal on irt before

Hmmm. Yeah, he did seem to be very hesistant to enter that body, and it could be that he knew he wasn't going to be able to stay inside it very long, not to mention he might have felt actually merging with him, thoughts and feelings and all, was distasteful.

That brings up the question, I wonder if Kabuto has a cursed seal himself... maybe that's what his "pink eyes" were all about.

Yeah, I mean, it was an "ultimate-forbidden-super-jutsu" from the genius hokage.
Can't remember if it's confirmed that oro is rid of the curse though.

I guess maybe it took from that body's spirit, not Orochimaru's himself.

But I'm not speaking confidently.

iThePirate
March 01, 2007, 04:25 PM
Wah, well I'm off hunting for the truth 'bout that.

Gettin' pissed not knowin'.

Well as stated before nice review gots to read these more pften :XD

Luckas
March 01, 2007, 06:25 PM
That brings up the question, I wonder if Kabuto has a cursed seal himself... maybe that's what his "pink eyes" were all about.I hope Kishimoto didn't forget about this detail.

aznboiray
March 01, 2007, 09:16 PM
wow how do u write so much about a chapter every sing week. don't u get tired of it????

mageofdeath
March 01, 2007, 09:24 PM
great review GK, its perfect for re-reading on raw day's kinda like a refresher on last week's chap, and as always superb images, I mean really crisp and clean, better than sprite even...

Gold Knight
March 02, 2007, 11:43 PM
wow how do u write so much about a chapter every sing week. don't u get tired of it????

Nope.. the only thing that would stop me from doing these is if I just don't have any time.

great review GK, its perfect for re-reading on raw day's kinda like a refresher on last week's chap, and as always superb images, I mean really crisp and clean, better than sprite even...

Thanks. And thank Fnuckale for a lot of these cool images. He's great at them.

Review for 344 should be forthcoming tomorrow around evening my time.