PDA

View Full Version : Thriller Bark Arc Discussion Thread

jeffhmwong
March 03, 2007, 12:39 AM
Dear All,

For all true OP fans, the previous arch, (skypie, water 7 , Arlong Park, Alabasta) all kick ass especially the arch involving CP9.

Whats your opinion on the current storyline which involves ghost, ghouls and monster?

I dont think there will be much of an ending here, maybe they will just recruit 1 new member after the whole horrific saga is over.

TO all beloved MH members, whats your opinion?

took out a little bit of story bashing

sahugani
March 03, 2007, 12:43 AM
Well it's no Water 7 arc, but i still love it. its definately a sub arc to the future Mermaid Island arc (similar to Jaya/Skypiea or Little Garden/Alabasta). what i love most is Oda's incorperation of so many legendary beasts and symbols of horror in a comical way.

triniman121
March 03, 2007, 01:33 AM
i think it's okay. Also oda is spicing things up in this arc

Absolutio
March 03, 2007, 05:31 AM
this arc's supposed to be chronologically after all the coming anime-fillers, so i guess they will get a new nakama and that's more or less the meaning of it. It's not a major arc, just a prologue arc for the mermaid island (its location is before the mermaid island as well, its just part of their journy to there).

It's just the start of it, but I think it's ok for now. You can't really judge yet, coz no major things happend yet.

xr3b0rn5inx
March 03, 2007, 06:38 AM
I think its kinda intresting so far,but it might a lil boring i guess.I dun think that any battle here will make the SH crew gain any new skills or increase their bounty.Tis ghost chapter will juz be another Skypie adventure ...Well thats my point of view,i dunno :s

Schwindelmagier
March 03, 2007, 06:56 AM
Personally I don't think it's the worst arc ever. I like the Ghost island cause I like creepy tihngies even if I have to say the zombies, ghost and especially Dr. Hogback aren't very creepy, more funny xD. Plus, I love crazy Doctos-stories. Since the arc just began, you can't put too much action in it. This almost occur in the middle or at the end.
Furthermore it would maybe a little bit hard to compare this "young" arc with the water 7-arc or the skypiea arc (my fav ones) because it just began. Furthermroe, to surpass the two mentioned arccs is kinda difficult cause they were really great. So I try to look at the current arc as whole and not compared with others to gain an opinion on it ^_^.

Luckas
March 03, 2007, 07:01 AM
At the beginning I wasn't intrigued by Brooke character, but since the chapter, following his first appearance, my opinion changed. I really love the settings, the oddness and all the things with whom Oda filled this arc. And I'm sure I'll love even more what will happen next.

bakashijinsan
March 03, 2007, 10:01 AM
It 's really not that grand like the previous arcs that we have but it's better than the Foxy arc and better than East blue arc (except Arlong park). I just love this island with so many surprises!

Sure it sounds cliche since haunted islands have been done millions of times in the past but the way Oda incorporates creepiness and wackiness in this arc makes it so interesting. I mean, where are you going to find zombies running then running out of breath after a second of running. that really got me laughing! :rofl

To say that it's gonna be one of the best arcs is an overstatement but I like it nonetheless.

Eyefarted2
March 03, 2007, 06:36 PM
whats the haunted island arch about?

Pevee
March 04, 2007, 12:29 AM
well, i can't really see a big fight coming up, but it's good to just laugh at oda's humor and ponder about some mysteries..

mugen
March 04, 2007, 12:31 AM
I thinks its not great but a lot better than the Davy Back arc :rofl
but then again the villain this time looks a lot worser than Foxy :rofl

KuraiOfAnagura
March 04, 2007, 01:15 PM
i like it ^^ :smile-big (bad girl, kurai, always you and your horror :notrust)

i think you all are too fast with your judgement, cause the arch is just 5 chapters old, so you can't comprhend it with the superlong water7 arch. and perhaps it is also more than just a filler arch, bevore the merman island. no arch that ends witha new nakama (brooke, i hope so :darn) is a filler arch.

oda includes some of his favourite things in this arch. e.g. nightmare bevore christmas and the singer Brooke Benton, who is one of Oda's favourites :)

Mugiwara_no_Jack
March 04, 2007, 01:26 PM
I think it is a necessarity this funny arch ... after this long and really serious water seven arch the readers need something they can laugh about .. and I like the horro stuff :D

OP_overlord
March 04, 2007, 09:50 PM
i really cant judge it yet it is too early but it has the possibility of being good but Oda has forshadowed a few battles and that really doesnt fit for a small segway type arc
and i dont like the way this one is drawn (but i cant draw so dont take it personaly)
i do want brooke to join the crew and that could make it a better arc and the famous monsters add a nice spin it is funny

triniman121
March 04, 2007, 10:53 PM
oda made it interesting. luffy has to fight a shadow. shadow = darkness. bb = darkness.

just a small theory

mugen
March 04, 2007, 10:57 PM
oda made it interesting. luffy has to fight a shadow. shadow = darkness. bb = darkness.

just a small theory

uumm....
what shadow :blink anyways thta's if Luffy fights Blackbeard :rofl
which i doubt :noworry

triniman121
March 04, 2007, 11:05 PM
the shadow that attacked nami. he wanted her for his bride....

Pevee
March 04, 2007, 11:48 PM
i don't think there'll be a big fight coming up soon, not before we're done exploring the island and discovering what on earth is going on with this place.. but i do hope to see one though..
i agree that we can't really compare this arch with the water7, which was super long, serious, and simply intense. we need something just to sit back and laugh at (like the horror stuff that turn out to be super funny)...
Fighting shadow? do you mean the invisible guy absalom or the actual shadow??

mugen
March 05, 2007, 12:25 AM
the shadow that attacked nami. he wanted her for his bride....

that was a ghost not Shadow...
better put an invisible guy :noworry

Anti-panda
March 05, 2007, 12:46 AM
I'd like to see a arch for once ... well where it doesn't have a huge battle we've had enough of that ... some big group skirmishes would be fine. But I don't neccessarily think there has to be that one big bad that somebody has to face in every arc. However if their is gonna be a huge fight I think some of the strawhats need to get some play besides luffy. This arc I'd like to see chopper get his big bad fight.
I'd also like to see robin fight somebody!!!! We haven't seen her fight anyone of substance except that fat -A$$ priest in skypeia. She's supposed to be really strong and we need to see more of her. :D

OP_overlord
March 05, 2007, 09:08 PM
this is differnent lufy is fighting zombies and ghosts and guy that take shadows away not teh actual darkness cause Oda doesnt like to repeat thing in the manga but they are similar

ecf
March 06, 2007, 06:20 PM
maybe luffy can learn something about the darkness and shadow devil fruit here...
and pobably the skeleton guy is going to save them

DeepEyes
March 06, 2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, this is something like Jaya in the Skypea Arc.... but Luffy trying to make all the monsters his Nakama!!!!!! That is great!!! XDDDDD

Anti-panda
March 19, 2007, 01:12 PM
LOL.............
He could make the tree monster his nakama ... It could protect nami's orange grove.
Jk. ... But I would love to see Robin make cerberus her pet. It'd be cute and hugely funny to see peoples reactions to it.
All in all this arc is great and a breath of fresh air after enis lobby ( which was deadly serious.Good but too serious.)
Plus if Oda throws in a character with a huge chin that looks like bruce campbell I'll Loose my damn mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP_overlord
March 19, 2007, 10:16 PM
im not to sure this arc is funny and all that but oda is trying to hard with teh dracula look alike guy and other famous monsters and there is no real plot yet
they say alot every chapter but nothing really happens it is kinda weird

and hopefuly they will learn some stuff about teh darkness DF like you said ecf

infyquest
March 19, 2007, 11:30 PM
Oda wants to have a Frankenstein's arc.
He wants to put all the horror in a comical way.
Anyway Brook will help in defeating the Moria and his henchmen (remanents of Hogbacks's experiments).
We will know a bit of background why/what Moria is doing this for? (Stealing Shadows)
More character development.
Chopper will know some techniques from Hogback.

OP_overlord
March 20, 2007, 09:15 PM
yeah hopefully they will getting stronger and we can learn more about all these random people but that is the problem Oda has introduced 20 bad guys at one time it is like explianing all the marines individualy, Oda also left every other charater behind we dont know who dadan is yet what has happened to shanks and Wb BB and ace, dragon, garp and aokiji, smoke where are all they what are they doing .... and the monster are too cliche for me but i is still funny

Anti-panda
March 21, 2007, 01:20 PM
Were not really sure who's a actual bad guy yet.
Remember luffy's a wanted man and a pirate. So to average people or bounty hunters he is the bad guy. I'm just saying that by what hogback has said we don't know if he's a bad guy yet. I get the feeling he is ... but no clear cut proof.
Absolom and Gekko Moria are the only two I can think of that are probably most definitely bad guy's thus far.

OP_overlord
March 21, 2007, 10:21 PM
i think that absolom and hogback are the main bad guys of this arc
they might not bt the strongest out there but they have control of all the creatures on the island so they have an army of zombies that aare strong and only because they, the bad guys, are comanding them they, the zombies, are bad

i think that gekko moria is a good scihibukia nothing in the rule book says that this is impossible

and i think that brooke is a good guy that is being controled by evil guys (hogback) with the use of his friends/ ex nakama as ransome for getting more people to the island as so that hogback can do stuff to them

but when luffy beats hogback up brooke will be a good guy again

infyquest
March 22, 2007, 12:34 AM
This arc is getting to my nerves, I need my dose of OP.
OMG figit, this fast.
We might see what happens to the shadows, and a brief history of Moria. (any guesses)
Cant wait for OP, where is it?

Everyone is waiting eagerly for OP new chap, but this isn't the right place.

OP_overlord
March 22, 2007, 09:39 PM
that is part of the problem that i have with this arc it takes to long to read oda has to draw very dark stuff and explain it all so it takes alot longer to get very little useable information all we know is this guys name and that he is a shichibukia nothing else and the same or hogback he is a famous doctor gone bad not much else on that front either

Luckas
March 23, 2007, 03:23 AM
Sorry, OP_overlord :amuse but I disagree with you. Oda gave us much information at the end of the Enies Lobby arc that I really haven't any problem with some unsolved misteries. And he can't explain everything until the manga ends. And, imho, I don't believe this arc will give us some big mistery, even if I really don't know how Oda will fit Moria, a sichikubay(sp) in this arc.
As I said before, I didn't liked Brooke in his first appearance, but from next chap, when he got a little bit of background, I took a liking in him. It really seems to fit well with StrawHats.

OP_overlord
March 23, 2007, 09:15 PM
i agree i think brooke fits well with the crew and will join them by the end of teh arc but for the moent he is under the comand of a bad guy

and its not that Oda hasnt told us new important, relevant information it is just that he is making more plot holes that need to be filled in later
i.e. all the new villains (Gekko, Dr. Hogback, Ablsome, Ghosts, Zombies, Paintings,... ) in this arc; and the story yet to be finished about Shanks and WB, and BB and Ace, Dragon, Garp, Smoker, Dadan,...
i think i didnt explain it well the first time

Just a little note, guys: be cautious because of the the thread's subject it is easy to make reference to to the last chap and this isn't allowed until the week-end passed.

Anti-panda
March 23, 2007, 11:13 PM
Your both pretty much right ... there are ALOT of unexplained mysteries and loose ends to tie up. But I don't think Oda will leave us hanging on any of them. Op is going stronger than ever at Over 400+ chapters and doesn't show any signs of slowing. And truth be told If it stays this good. I don't want it too.
I just keep hoping for a zombie that looks like bruce campbell.

Paz42
April 19, 2007, 04:02 PM
now OP_overlord said that brooke is being controled by somebody but im not sure wouldnt that be similar to nami being controled in a sense by arlong and we all know oda doesnt like to repeat himself

OP_overlord
April 19, 2007, 08:06 PM
yes it is just like it but it makes for a good nakama recruiting theory and nami joined just after they left on their adventure andbrooke joins just as they start their adventure into the new world

and just for general info i havent read the spoiler yet it was all on a hunch/infrence/theory

Anti-panda
April 20, 2007, 01:21 AM
I bet we'll see the introduction of a couple new strawhats back to back ... it's been a while and they need to introduce the characters and give them time to develop before things get too hot n heavy. Thier almost to the halfway point in the grandline .. and if i'm right expect a military base at the redline. and More Kick=a$$ pirates once they enter the new world.

However back on topic. Everytime I think this arc cant get any better I'm wrong... I just read ch 453 and you can read my opinions about it in the appropriate places. However it' does lead me to wonder .. for the last couple of chapters the zombies have been refering to "The Master" ... as in the masters orders or we obey "The master" I wonder who thier refering tooo... Gekko moria seems too obvious. Hogback maybe because he reanimated them ... Or somebody else entirely. Hmmmmmm...... ?????????? Any interesting ideas would be welcome.

Dark soul within
April 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
I think this is a great arc! Oda's gone for the weird/surreal and creepy storyline, whilst at the same time making it really comical..although it has been slightly slow in a few places.

Absolutio
April 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
recently, this arc is really superb and surprising. you can't know what's gonna be up next. oda just keeps amazing us again and again!

Yondy
May 21, 2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah it's just a small arc, i don't especially like it. Like the Davy Back fight-thing... not one of my favourites.

Ennies Lobby was just too awesome. And the merman thing promises some interesting plot coming. I think this will be over soon, the point of the arc being Brooke joining.

I think Oda really wanted to have a skeleton in the crew, so he had to do an arc related to it. And you can't just present a new character quickly, you've got to introduce him little by little, making him loved by the reader.

If that was his intention, he succeeded. I love Brook! That, and he has to eliminate the Shichibukai little by little.

So it's a necessary arc in my opinion, but not the best. Although it's getting interesting just now... and well One Piece never fails to make me laugh anyway. Which is always great!

ANBU4U
May 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
I think its kinda intresting so far,but it might a lil boring i guess.I dun think that any battle here will make the SH crew gain any new skills or increase their bounty.Tis ghost chapter will juz be another Skypie adventure ...Well thats my point of view,i dunno :s

How could it not? GM is one of the shichibukai....if they take down his entire operation...like they are going to HAVE to, their bounties will raise....now as GM seems to be extra tucked away I can see their being a major delay in the news of his defeat...perhaps halfway throught the Mermaid Island Arc....or even after...but it HAS to raise their bounties.

As for the arc itself..I LOVE it. Just amazing visualy, and the storytelling is fairly good. It's not Water 7....but its still a fairly good lead-up, better than Arabaster, but perhaps on par with Jaya....I feel as though the the bulk of this arc (the battles) will hit the right spot in the end and provide us with a new feel for OP and some much needed skill development for the weaker mugiwara.....as they are getting to the point where they cant truely protect themselves without a stronger crewmember to watch their backs....Ussop and chopper in particular.

And of course I think I may get my new favorite Mugiwara out of this arc, namely Brooke. For all those who think it's too soon.....well just imagine the half year of fillers the anime is about to go through. 'Nough said.

sahugani
May 21, 2007, 06:48 PM
How could it not? GM is one of the shichibukai....if they take down his entire operation...like they are going to HAVE to, their bounties will raise....now as GM seems to be extra tucked away I can see their being a major delay in the news of his defeat...perhaps halfway throught the Mermaid Island Arc....or even after...but it HAS to raise their bounties.

As for the arc itself..I LOVE it. Just amazing visualy, and the storytelling is fairly good. It's not Water 7....but its still a fairly good lead-up, better than Arabaster, but perhaps on par with Jaya....I feel as though the the bulk of this arc (the battles) will hit the right spot in the end and provide us with a new feel for OP and some much needed skill development for the weaker mugiwara.....as they are getting to the point where they cant truely protect themselves without a stronger crewmember to watch their backs....Ussop and chopper in particular.

And of course I think I may get my new favorite Mugiwara out of this arc, namely Brooke. For all those who think it's too soon.....well just imagine the half year of fillers the anime is about to go through. 'Nough said.

i too love this arc with all my heart and it, like every other arc in OP, seems to get better and better with each chapter that goes by.

however, i do disagree with you on the matters of Brooke and the bounty situation. With Brooke, i've been saying from the beginning that while i love him to death (hehehe) i highly doubt that he will join, but as there is a thread about that already, that's all i'll say here.

as for the bounties after this arc, i doubt that they would change. First of all there is the matter of them just getting their new bounties, so other than Chopper getting a REAL price on his head, i doubt Oda would change these that quickly. but you do bring up a good point that beating another shichibukai would warrent another boot, but i've got some holes to poke in that evidence. First of all, Moria's actions are clearly outside of his contract with the government, so it's not like any of Moria's crew will bring this defeat to the WG's attention. Also, unlike Crocodile's scheme, Thriller Bark is hidden away in the mist, so it would take a good long while before anyone noticed on their own that Moria has been beaten, let alone have any witness to who beat him. If the news of Luffy beating Moria comes to the WG at all it won't be for a good long time and may coincide with Luffy's next big and highly publicized victory, at which time both will be included in the bounty calculations

ubo
May 22, 2007, 10:54 PM
Yep, I'm a big fan of this arc. It's more light-hearted so far, but I kinda needed it to be after the emotional explosion of W7. Also, I can see Brooke becoming my favorite member after Luffy (right now it's between Sanji and Robin).

If Brooke doesn't end up joining, I'll be disappointed, but I'm pretty sure he will. He already has more depth than Vivi...

Anti-panda
May 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
Do ya think if luffy beats gekko ... he'll start to be refered to as the shinchibukai slayer???
I mean to defeat not one but two ... shinchibukai .. thats impressive.

Luckas
May 23, 2007, 11:44 AM
Do ya think if luffy beats gekko ... he'll start to be refered to as the shinchibukai slayer???
I mean to defeat not one but two ... shinchibukai .. thats impressive.If Luffy can defeat them, then probably even others can do the same in the new word.

Absolutio
May 24, 2007, 03:06 PM
If Luffy can defeat them, then probably even others can do the same in the new word.

others DID defeat them. We know that this Kaidou guy beat Moria in the new world.

Impel Down
May 26, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well, it doesn't say that Kaidou beat him, just that's he's a bastard.

ANBU4U
May 26, 2007, 04:35 PM
I mean to defeat not one but two ... shinchibukai .. thats impressive.

As its been mentioned we already know there are pirates in the new world that can take down shichibukai. And from what we know of Luffys power versus that of Pirates like Ace, BB, WB and Shanks....or even people like Enel, Rob Lucci and the upper members of CP9 it seems arguable that there are quite a few people about that have the power to take down a Shichibukai....just relatively few that havent garnered an affiliation (i.e.- WG, 4 Generals)
[hr]

Well, it doesn't say that Kaidou beat him, just that's he's a bastard.

Come on. He said "If I had a subordinate like him even bastards like that Kaidou in the new world couldnt beat me right?" Clearly implying that Kaidou either beat him OR at the very least, at present he couldnt beat him if he tried.

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 09:13 AM
Well, that wasn't in the translation I read, I apologize.

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 09:21 AM
do you think that after this arc, luffy's bounty will bounce up once again? :o

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 09:29 AM
No, because no one knows that they're there.

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 09:34 AM
but its a shichibukai. the govt. has to know if he's been beaten.. :o

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 09:38 AM
Not necessarily. He's in the middle of nowhere, and the WG doesn't really care about him. In fact, if he were to defeat "Kaidoh", they'd probably enjoy that.

Anti-panda
May 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
The govt doesn't seem to want to defeat the younkou... they only seem interested in preserving the balance of the current system... which is weird ... you'd think they'd want to wipe out pirates all together .. but they simply seem to want to keep whitebeard and the other yonkou in check instead of defeating them.

Luckas
May 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
It isn't so strange the WG want to keep the balance, it is the same as in the real world. And atm the WG is the biggest power, so thye probably are happy this way :)

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
But they control things too so that they can have complete power.

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 04:51 PM
maybe its not that they dont want to defeat the yonkou, but maybe they cant? or it will just cost them too much they cant afford..

Koen
May 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
The govt doesn't seem to want to defeat the younkou... they only seem interested in preserving the balance of the current system... which is weird ... you'd think they'd want to wipe out pirates all together .. but they simply seem to want to keep whitebeard and the other yonkou in check instead of defeating them.

yeah but soon or later the yonkou will be the one who'll try to get the balance in advantage of the pirates. And I don't think the world governement will allow that

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 05:11 PM
the yonkou currently, like all pirates, are trying to get to one piece (and while they at it, they're also being busy fighting between themselves (pirates in general)), so although they are a threat to the WG, they are not an immidiate threat. On the other hand, the revolution army, declared a direct war towards the WG, thus, the WG are trying to deal with them, the more relevant and instant threat, leaving the yonkou alone for the time being.

Impel Down
May 28, 2007, 07:27 AM
Well, since they need the Shichibukai and the MHQ to keep them in check, they probably fight against the Yonkou with both of those forces. That's also why they're trying to get Pluton and Posideion.

IgnorantSage
May 29, 2007, 06:00 AM
Ummm guys, I'd like to remind you that this is the Haunted Island Arc thread, discussions about the three world powers should go to that thread.

Anti-panda
May 29, 2007, 05:27 PM
Sorry .. we kinda got off topic... LOL
But it's hard seeing as all the big topics in Op seem to be interconnected.

->on topic.
I have said it before I love this arc. Zombies and a shinchibukai .. comedy suspense I just really feel that we've returned to true OP ... Sillyness. I mean enis lobby had some silly but the entire tone of the arc was verry serious. I think this is Pen-Ultimate OP goodness.
Brooke is one of my favorite characters introduced so far. And even if he doesn't join the mugiwara's ... which I think and hope he will. .. I'm glad to see oda coming up with such interesting and Inovative characters after 10yrs + of OP.

mugen
May 29, 2007, 05:30 PM
true that
at first this Arc seemed lame but then .. it's just :wtf
I mean who would've thought we were going to see a Shichibukai and a perhaps an even new nakama :jbya

OP_overlord
May 30, 2007, 08:02 PM
very talky, and not alot of fighting but i hope all of that will change with this upcoming fight with ryuuma

mugen
May 30, 2007, 10:21 PM
very talky, and not alot of fighting but i hope all of that will change with this upcoming fight with ryuuma

there has been fighting but Moria doesn't look like the type to fight...
unless he changes his appearance :rofl

Impel Down
June 01, 2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, Moria needs his team mates with him, because as we all know, Kage Mane isn't really used for attacking, and I doubt Moria is anywhere near Shikimaru level with his shadows yet.

Absolutio
June 01, 2007, 07:38 PM
i'm not sure "we all know" anything about moria yet, but the fact that he can cut and attach shadows. He might have very strong shadows attack we dont know of yet..

mugen
June 01, 2007, 09:05 PM
maybe he just takes away their shadows and drags them into the sunlight to finish off his foes :headscratch

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 10:51 AM
Well, probably not, because he'd want to use their shadows to make a stronger warrior. And he also probably doesn't fight people himself, because of his motto. That's why he has zombie soldiers.

Anti-panda
June 02, 2007, 03:22 PM
I bet he has a really cheap style... he seems like Don Krieg in a way ... he doesn't posses monsterous strength himself .. .he just has the most men ... or the better weapons.

Then again depending on what pannel your looking at he's either a really large human or about 1/2 the size of a giant. So who knows.

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 04:04 PM
The first time we saw him, he was totally giant-size, but Oda must have been drinking some sake or something lately. I dunno, maybe taking shadows makes him smaller?

mugen
June 02, 2007, 04:18 PM
Moria is half giant but anyways he looks goofy regardless and he maybe fights like Pride....

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 04:20 PM
Pride as in FMA Pride? What, he can see what someone's doing and make a good guess as to what it is and then beat them with a shitty sword?

mugen
June 02, 2007, 04:23 PM
Pride as in FMA Pride? What, he can see what someone's doing and make a good guess as to what it is and then beat them with a shitty sword?
guess you don't read the manga.....
I'm talking about the real Pride :noworry

Luckas
June 02, 2007, 04:46 PM
Please, go back in topic.

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 04:51 PM
We weren't really off topic, we were discussing Moria's fighting styles. Anyway, I wouldn't know about the real Pride. So, then what would that look like so I can know how Moria fights?

"Pride" is OffTopic.

mugen
June 02, 2007, 05:09 PM
just know that Moria might make the shadows into weapons

Impel Down
June 03, 2007, 07:41 AM
That would be pretty amazing, having shadow swords and whatnot. Although, wouldn't that make him kinda logia?

mugen
June 03, 2007, 09:56 AM
well it would be like Mr.3 to be exact so nope no ogia

Impel Down
June 03, 2007, 09:58 AM
Eh, I guess so, but then again, we haven't seen Moria be attacked yet. But if he was a shadow logia, then wouldn't he be just like BB?

Akainu
June 03, 2007, 11:04 AM
I think darkness and shadow is something completely different ;)
I mean shadows are dark by nature but they need light to exist somehow.
And darkness... well we saw that this is more like a black hole.

Impel Down
June 03, 2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, exactly, but I still don't think Oda would make both a shadow logia and a darkness logia. He's not Kishi, he's a creative guy.

OP_overlord
June 03, 2007, 10:08 PM
he did already tho, it is the extent of their powers that Oda can be creative about

Anti-panda
June 03, 2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah, exactly, but I still don't think Oda would make both a shadow logia and a darkness logia. He's not Kishi, he's a creative guy.

LOL I love it when people place other manga/mangaka underneath OP/Oda where they belong...
You get 10 bonus pts.

I'm constantly amazed at how creative oda is... I mean 10yrs+ of OP and he gives us more and more creative ... wonderful manga.. it's a real testiment to him and his staff.
Depending on how it plays out .. haunted island .. may wind up being one of my favorite arcs.

Impel Down
June 04, 2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, Brook became Sanji's rival for my fav character after one chapter. When I saw Thriller Bark come on the horizon, after I finished reading the chapter, I just went and sat down for like 10 minutes doing nothing.

Paz42
June 04, 2007, 07:29 PM
Ok now this is totaly just theory and may be against the rules but im not sure as im refering to new chapter but ill go ahead any way as i need to write this down and see if it makes sense but.....

What im thinking is that time moves differently within the Florian Triangle now i say this because of a couple of reasons

Now i could be wrong here but in chapter 458 when brooke is talking to ryuuma he refers to him as sensai or teacher i dont know i cant check the chapters right now due to computer issues and if thats right brooke would be centurys old because hogback says that ryuuma is an ancient warrior known for slaying a dragon so if brooke was his teacher then when brooke entered the Florian Triangle he still had skin so he would have been within his natural life span because i dont think that his power was anything to do with him being immortal until he died and then he could be resurected now the only reason hes kind of immortal now is that he is in a container that doesnt have organs or anything or somthing like that his body which was turned into a skeleton then he ran into moria had his shadow taken away then 5 years later runs into straw hats so this leads me to believe that time moves differently here not a drastic amount for a few days or what ever but enough to have changed things

i dont know if any of this would have worked out accutlay but i think it could lead up to some things such as a confruntation with smoker having longer to build up a team to defeat the strawhats the unbalancing of the three great powers after the blackbeard/whitebeard&shanks incidents that could have taken more time to do normaly but we will have to see

Edit the thread's title to be more update.

Impel Down
June 04, 2007, 08:37 PM
I don't believe Brook ever called Ryuuma his sensei. And I don't think he can live for hundreds of years. He is still just a human, even if he is a skeleton now.

ecf
June 07, 2007, 03:40 AM
where doe sit say that Ryuuma was his sensei???

Kikuna992
June 07, 2007, 10:28 AM
Brooke has never referred to Ryuma as sensei

The Boff
June 07, 2007, 11:40 AM
gonna have to go with the general opinion here, brooke never says anything about Ryuma being his sensei.

he's talking about his shadow and how can Ryuuma be stronger than the original host, thats it.
so your theory kinda falls. sorry dude.

IgnorantSage
June 08, 2007, 07:15 AM
Impel, ecf, Kikuna, and Boff have all said it.

Ryuuma never referred to Brooke as sensei, probably he called him is old master. By this, he was talking to Brooke as the former owner/master of the shadow but now the shadow has its own will and that he is disappointed with Brooke.

Absolutio
June 11, 2007, 02:08 AM
and moreover.. recent chapter (its end of weekend.. i'm allowed to refer to it, am i not luckas?) says that he entered the grandline 50 years ago.. it's a lot of time, but not centuries.

Yes, you are :amuse

Absolutio
June 11, 2007, 02:12 AM
the shadow fruit seems more of a peremecia type than logia..

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 07:14 AM
Yeah, it's probably paramecia. I don't think I can tolerate anymore Logia for about three arcs. And if all the Yonkou use Logia, I am going to be fairly pissed.

But I digress, it seems now that this arc is going to end fairly soon, which is a pretty fast exit for a Shichibukai arc, right? I mean, Crocodile's whole Alabasta arc took forever! I don't see how they will really be able to keep this arc going for a long time unless just Moria, Perona, Hogback, and Absalom escape and exact revenge on Luffy.

Akainu
June 11, 2007, 12:48 PM
First of all, I dont think that all of the Yonkou use DF perhaps one and some of their crewmates but you know what Rogers (?) crew was like - none of them would have eaten a DF out of free will afair (or was that info anime only?)

Next thing is I think Impel Down is absolutely right about the length of this arc. It should end rather quickly - I think its just a recruitement sidestory arc, somehow like where they got Chopper from but as stand alone.

To end this arc I think theres something special just like Oz rampaging the main mast and thus sinking thriller bark ^.^

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
I agree, they just entered the florian triangle, thriller bark ain't even the main arc since they're going for mermaid island and that is most likely the next main arc, whatever's gonna happen there (personnaly, I'd love if a young mermaid was to join the crew, there's too much guys, I want even more pretty girls in the mugiwaras... )

But it's hardly likely that oz will sink with thriller bark, cause even when they're beat the shadow doesn't seem to return to it's owner, the only way is the salt... although, since it's the result of a devil fruit user, maybe going in the ocean has the same effect.

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 01:16 PM
And if Jimbei really IS at Mermaid Island, like everyone is predicting, then we'll have had two Shichibukai really close together, and I don't like the idea of that.

And the sea has salt in it, doesn't it? So, when a zombie drowns in the sea, it's shadow should come out.

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah but then there wouldn't be any gear third luffy against oz, and I definitely wanna see that. 'Till now, we've not seen it that much, since it was too slow against someone liky lucci and he could just hit him once (even though it's been enough to hurt him quite a lot).

Well, maybe jimbei's kinda a good guy, lol. He might be a powerful but kinda pacifist mermen, like a men turtle or something like that, and luffy might not fight him... after all, I guess every single shichibukai won't be defeated just by luffy, at least mihawk won't be...

I know, it's unlikely, since his name means whale shark, but isn't it odd for oda to give such a hint way before we even see one of the shichibukai... I think there might be some surprise about him.

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
Jimbei isn't a merman, though, he's a gyojin, a fishman. And so far, they've been mostly pretty warlike, especially since he was on a crew with Arlong. And he's probably a whale shark, yeah. It's the perfect kind of "hundreds of chapters ago" foreshadowing that Oda uses!

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well, I still think he could be a good guy for all we know... I mean, whitebeard did have blackbeard on his crew, roger had buggy on one of his, so even if arlong was on the same crew as him doesn't mean they were alike... tom was quite strong, yet it didn't seem like he could hurt a fly...

Also, sorry but, what's the difference between a merman and a fishman, I don't understand, never heard of it...

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 04:22 PM
Kokoro is a mermaid, because she's more humanoid than fish. Arlong is a fish man, because he is more fish than humanoid. But we're getting pretty off topic. So, I doubt this arc will be the end of Moria. The end of TB and the zombies, maybe, but not of the Mysterious Four, I don't think.

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 04:38 PM
Oh, thanks... About moria, I don't know... to get his shadow back, luffy will have to defeat oz, and I don't think it'll be settle as easily as throwing salt in his mouth, that'd be kinda boring... and we can assume oz must be stronger than moria, or there'd be no point in creating him...

His power must allow him to control the zombies, oz's probably on a rampage now cause he's just "born"... so when luffy'll defeat oz, cause he will, or that'd be the end of the serie, kinda hard to become the pirate king if you can't be under the sun at all, then wouldn't moria be kinda not strong enough to beat luffy...

Sure, he's a shichibukai, but he might be the weaker, you can't judge him only with his bounty, crocodile only had 70 millions yet I think he was way stronger than moria... so for all we know he earned his bounty by controlling very strong zombies that can't disobey him because of his power.

Anti-panda
June 11, 2007, 06:05 PM
There are many different types of strength .. many many types. I doubt moria is weak as a fighter .. but I also don't think his physical ablity is the source of his true strength .. he just has alot of crew who lets face it most people can't deal with.
In my opinion he's the Don krieg of the shinchibukai .. he doesn't have alot of personal strength.. though he isn't weak by any stretch of the imagination... but he has a huge powerful crew and some devestating abilities.

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 06:44 PM
I agree, it's that point precisely that might be moria's true strength, relying on others stronger than him but who can't defy him because of his ability. Though, being a giant, he probably is quite strong, but physically, in a one-on-one fight, out of the shichibukai we've seen so far, i wouldn't bet on him.

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 08:16 PM
It's like Hitler's power of absolute control over a powerful army, Moria has, what appears to be, an ever-growing, supa strong army, which is probably his true power. And not all the super strong characters in OP get their power from physical power. You think Crocodile really needs muscle to take over Alabasta, or that Enel needs to bench press 240 to kill everyone in Skypiea?

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 09:07 PM
Well, comparing logia users to paramecias is a little unfair, I think you'll agree... most fight against them would be useless unless you have something to counter that power, but I agree, most of the fights on thriller bark will most likely be against the zombies that have mugiwaras shadows and the zombies commander, that would leave little time for a shichibukai, thus there's few explanation to me, or moria ain't that strong physically, or he'll just escape thriller bark and return later, but that'd still mean he wasn't strong enough to win...

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm saying that his true power lies in his DF, rather than his physical power, I'm not trying to compare them. And I agree, now most of the fights will be against zombies, except for maybe Absalom and Perona. Luffy may run into Moria after dealing with Oz, though.

And does anyone thing this arc is beginning to feel like the current Bleach arc?

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 09:26 PM
... not really... I don't see what you mean by that... there's no zombies in bleach... nobody stole their shadows, but I know it's not what you mean... this arc of one piece ain't a suicide mission either... I don't think we'll see any of the mugiwaras get much stronger, unlike bleach's characters... both are some kind of a rescue mission, but in one piece it's themselves they must save...

Do you mean because both arcs may be shorts?... cause if that so, then yes, it's possible, but in one piece I see this arc mostly as a recruitment arc, considering it's very likely brooke will join the crew...

Anti-panda
June 11, 2007, 09:43 PM
The main difference between this and the current bleach arc is.. they are not rescuing a helpless person.. like orihime .. she never fights really. Brooke is just going through a process of recruitment... he never expected anyone to come save him... And please ... Brooke has been running around all by himself until recently... That and bleach is good but it's already repeating itself.. Lets go save rukia. yeah.... lets go save orihime. Yeah.... z.ZzzZZzzz
One piece is 100million times better and more origional than bleach.

Yondy
June 11, 2007, 09:48 PM
I'll have to agree with anti-panda there. As much as i love Bleach, i don't think we can compare it with One Piece. I've always seen Bleach as being really repetitive.

And I don't see how this arc is similar to Bleach's current one... I mean they're rescuing their own shadows. And recruiting Brook maybe.

Impel Down
June 12, 2007, 01:10 PM
I meant they were similar, as in they are both running around in a majorly-enemy infested territory, trying to find a few people, while running into the occasional battle. They both have their differences, I agree, since it isn't suicide and they can all probably defeat anyone they run into.

Imitorar
June 12, 2007, 08:36 PM
The arc in One Piece that is the most like the Hueco Muendo arc of Bleach (the current arc) is the Enies Lobby arc. Actually, Enies Lobby is more like the Soul Society arc, but then again, the Soul Society arc and the Hueco Muendo arc are basically the same thing. (And neither of them ripped off of each other, the Soul Society arc came before Enies Lobby, but Oda-sensei has said, or at least implied, that he's had the whole story planned out the entire time.)

But anyway, my theory on how Luffy will get his shadow back is that he will trick Oz into eating salty meat. Come on, that would be using Oda-sensei's trait of foreshadowing, and that would elevate Oz's craving for meat from a mere joke to a joke and an important plot point. I know Gear 3rd Luffy vs. Oz sounds cool, but Moria IS a giant, so Gear 3rd Luffy vs. Moria shouldn't be that bad. And Jimbei is definitlely a bad guy, since Fishmen in general seem to think that humans are there for their entertainment, and anyone who could get along so well with Arlong as an equal can't be that great as a guy. And since he was a friend of Arlong, I don't think that Jimbei will be too pleased to meet the guy who broke Arlong's spine.

Hey, don't be mean, Naruto is an awesome series. Just not nearly as awesome as One Piece in any way whatsoever.:D And the fact is, a Devil Fruit that can control shadows and a Devil Fruit that can control darkness are different. Especially because, to me at least, Blackbeard's Devil Fruit doesn't really give him control of darkness, it basically turns him into a giant black hole. That isn't at all like a Devil Fruit that lets you control shadows. And this guy had some interesting ideas as to how Moria's Devil Fruit will work.

2. what kind of other uses will moria have from his DF other then removing shadows and attaching them to new bodies because as other people have said removing them is not a good combat ability i hope that there is nothing similar to shika's powers from naruto but i have a couple of ideas

A. He will be able to attack people's shadows and the will affect the physcial body as he must be able to touch shadows to be able to hold them as he transplants them into the new body

B. Now i dont know if any one remembers a cartoon show in the 90's cant remember the name of the show but the main bad guys where skeletons. Now one of the good guys had an abilite to move through shadows to other shadows now i was thinking maybe moria could have a power similar to this giving him the illusion of moving at tremendous speeds. I do however think that this the least likely of my ideas as its similar to bluno's (think thats the right name) power and we know oda doesnt like to repeat himself

C. That his own shadow may be able to attack people as a seperate entity so that it would be like fighting 2 morias at the same time i think that this one could be really cool and a nice suprise half way through the fight has to fight 2 morias insted of 1

Sorry for the really long post but i thought of theese and i just thought that i should write them down before i forget about them

Anti-panda
June 12, 2007, 09:41 PM
Wow ... I love how all the idiots ... are saying this arc is soo... like the current bleach arc... Because they both involve people fighting .. people. WOW.
I don't really understand why people feel the need to say this manga is like this manga or whatever.... the big difference between this arc in OP and bleach... is that bleach never really surprises me... I can tell where things are gonna happen and there's no real suspense... OP constantly surprises me.

Long story short... All anime can be compared to any other anime if you want to be litteral .. so stop being stupid and enjoy. Or at least give some solid evidence that the two things are more than just basically the same genre.

mugen
June 12, 2007, 09:59 PM
whoever compared bleach should crawl under a rock and stay there...
anyways seems like Brooke might actually join but i have a feeling that he won't cuz Eiichiro seems to agree that a skeleton is weird, he might do something about it or not anyways this arc just seems to be best cuz well it was really unexpected, Nobody really thought it would be an Arc and it also gave more to Laboon not just making it sort of filler as it was thought to be.

Luckas
June 13, 2007, 04:32 AM
Please guys cool down a little the tone about the comparison between OP and Bleach.

Said that, I believe really few people doesn't agree that the Hueco Mundo isn't the best Bleach arc, while Haunted Island arc is a good one, even if maybe someone isn't much fond of it.
However it is just a pity that OP will take a break when the battle seem so near. I'm really expecting it :)

Yondy
June 13, 2007, 04:35 AM
Luckas, when is OP taking a break? Don't tell me there are some holidays and we won't have any OP this week...? I'm a bit lost here!

I really want to see the battle too, i can't stand to wait more!

I'm sorry but in the next Shonen Jump there will not be a OP chapter. I believe it is one of those break sometimes mangaka took, they generally last only a week.

Impel Down
June 13, 2007, 08:21 AM
Wait, there's no OP this week?

But anyway, I think everyone misunderstood what I meant in my comparison of OP and Bleach. I was comparing THE ARCS, not the entire series itself. They're both running around enemy territory, looking for certain people. Looking back, that is a pretty lame assessment, but it got kinda blown out of proportions.

IgnorantSage
June 13, 2007, 08:24 AM
I think it was already announced in the scanlation thread that there will be no OP this week...

Anyway back to the arc, I hope Cerberus makes a reappearance but I guess we can only ask for one new nakama and between Cerberus and Brooke, I'd pick... ummm... I'd pick... the two of them!!!

Impel Down
June 13, 2007, 08:27 AM
If Cerebus joins, I may have to smack Oda. But I quess he could come back, but I don't really see what role he could play, since they're already at the mansion and such, so they wouldn't really need a ride. And if it's a matter of picking up scent, that's what Chopper's for, right?

IgnorantSage
June 13, 2007, 08:41 AM
It would be great to have an official Mugiwara pet and rid Chopper of the title. Though as of the current arc, I can't see any purpose Cerberus might serve. But maybe Cerberus could help keep off the other zombies, but the chances of him disobeying Moria's orders are slim.

Discussing Cerberus also made me wonder what shadows they used to reanimate dead animal bodies. Like Tallaran for example, did they use human/humanoid shadow to reanimate that enormous spider since he could talk.

Impel Down
June 13, 2007, 08:47 AM
But, if they keep Cerebus, then wouldn't someone never qet their shadow back? And I imagine they probably used a human shadow on Talleran, and I'm sure they could have adapted to their new body or whatever prettty quickly.