Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for instruction.]

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    OR here is an image of the cover of the first volume, does it say anything like color pages included?
    This volume comes with a poster (ピンナップ) which is usually folded. (No other colored-page related information is available on the cover.)

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help with a line that doesn't seem to make much logical sense to me. A girl full of piercings and with a wound comes to a store that sells all that piercing stuff, and when questioned about the injury says: ケガを見せに来たわけじゃないわ ピアスが壊れたのよ 早く開けてくれない? I know that ピアスを開ける means to make a piercing, but does it make sense to say "My piercing broke, can you pierce me?" Or is she saying something like "My earring broke [e.g. got stuck], can you open it for me?"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmertb View Post
    Need some help with a line that doesn't seem to make much logical sense to me. A girl full of piercings and with a wound comes to a store that sells all that piercing stuff, and when questioned about the injury says: ケガを見せに来たわけじゃないわ ピアスが壊れたのよ 早く開けてくれない? I know that ピアスを開ける means to make a piercing, but does it make sense to say "My piercing broke, can you pierce me?" Or is she saying something like "My earring broke [e.g. got stuck], can you open it for me?"
    I didn't come here to show you my wound. It's just that my (ear) piercings are broken. Can you hurry up and open your shop/the display box/or whatever to open? Would this fit in the context?

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does, thank you very much!
    Glad to hear that it worked. It could also be a/the door. (Can you hurry up and open the door?)

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm reading through a bleach raw at a snails pace because of all the unusual ways of writing japanese they use, so I'll probably find a better raw to learn japanese with. Before I drop it, there is one page that I keep gleaning a basic meaning, but cannot accurately translate it into english.
    It's the first "proverb" sheet that many translations seem to think it means "Because we are amorphous, fear us."

My translation:
    我等は姿無きが故にそれを畏れ。
    (We(About)figure none)therefore it(object) fear
    We lack a shape, so fear us.

I keep thinking that perhaps 姿無 means invisible, or no visible shape, which I think would make it turn into:
    "We fear what we cannot see", which is almost alike to a western proverb, "We fear what we don't understand."

Anyways, I will be searching for a better manga raw to start with than bleach, but I'd at least like to know what that actually translates into. And please understand that I am attempting to translate the meaning into english, not the words.

btw, I always lol at the fact that the chapter should be called "Ichigo and the Reaper", or, "The Shinigami and the Strawberry" if he meant to translate Ichigo's name into it's english meaning.
    A lot of mangas make me wonder if they just google translated it into english and then used it as the "cool" words from a different language (much like us north americans do).
    Last edited by Aarowaim; October 24, 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Removed the image, as I just noticed the policy update

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim View Post
    Well, I'm reading through a bleach raw at a snails pace because of all the unusual ways of writing japanese they use, so I'll probably find a better raw to learn japanese with. Before I drop it, there is one page that I keep gleaning a basic meaning, but cannot accurately translate it into english.
    It's the first "proverb" sheet that many translations seem to think it means "Because we are amorphous, fear us."
    Here's the picture:
    Spoiler show

And my translation:
    我等は姿無きが故にそれを畏れ。
    (We(About)figure none)therefore it(object) fear
    We lack a shape, so fear us.

I keep thinking that perhaps 姿無 means invisible, or no visible shape, which I think would make it turn into:
    "We fear what we cannot see", which is almost alike to a western proverb, "We fear what we don't understand."

Anyways, I will be searching for a better manga raw to start with than bleach, but I'd at least like to know what that actually translates into. And please understand that I am attempting to translate the meaning into english, not the words.
    This is how I see it.

Without context, there are 2 ways to translate. Normally, humans are main characters, so (2) would be the correct one.

(1) A shapeless/invisible monster is talking -->
    Literal TL: We (monsters) do not have shapes/are invisible therefore we fear it. (This ’it’ can be whatever as swords, mirrors, sun light and shadow or just to be amorphous eternally) ---> Because we are amorphous, we fear it. <not us>

(2) A human is talking -->
    Literal TL: We (humans) fear it since it does not have a figure./ --> We fear what we can't see. <Just like what you wrote.>

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is troublesome, I would've interpreted this line like the original tler did. The thing is, I'm used to seeing this verb form as imperative, so それを畏れ begs to be translated as "fear that". For "we fear it", I'd expect "それを畏れている". Is there a pattern here I need to pay attention to so I don't make this mistake in similar sentences?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is troublesome, I would've interpreted this line like the original tler did. The thing is, I'm used to seeing this verb form as imperative, so それを畏れ begs to be translated as "fear that". For "we fear it", I'd expect "それを畏れている". Is there a pattern here I need to pay attention to so I don't make this mistake in similar sentences?
     畏れ is a noun. 畏れる is something like.... to fear and respect humbly. Do you see 畏れ in an imperative form? 畏れよ (or 畏れろ) would be imperative and the txt does not seem to be a complete sentence to me.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for clarifying that

And thank you for correcting my mistake in quotation; I should have double-checked my sources.
    By the way, I have noticed that a lot of japanese nouns translate into english verbs, it's kind of unusual, but it may be a sign that the japanese see emotions and thoughts more as an object than a way of thinking. The more japanese I learn, the more I see that the japanese have interesting ways of using words to explain things.

I link the ga particle with the wo particle. This is because it's *seems* to be alike to our english idea of subject verb object, where the subject is what is doing the action (the ga particle's word), so a lack of shape was the subject. The object (the wo particle's word) recieves the action, and then fear, being both a verb and a noun (e.g, nothing to fear, but fear itself) would be the verb. That gave me the translation of "About us: no shape, therefore (it) fear."

When I consolidated that into one proper english sentence I got "We (fear what has no shape)", which can be translated into "We fear what we can't see." That's pretty much how I got the translation if you're wondering.
    Of course, I'm by no means a professional translator, so I only did that in a way that seemed to work.

Thanks once again for the advice, as it will help me in terms of grammar later on.
    Last edited by Aarowaim; October 24, 2011 at 07:06 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikkih View Post
     畏れ is a noun. 畏れる is something like.... to fear and respect humbly. Do you see 畏れ in an imperative form? 畏れよ (or 畏れろ) would be imperative and the txt does not seem to be a complete sentence to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim
    By the way, I have noticed that a lot of japanese nouns translate into english verbs
    I think my comment was very, very misleading. I didn't even need to toss it in. Sorry to confuse you. The 畏れ in that sentence is actually a verb, ending the way that other phrase/main part of the sentence would follow. Example: 我々は姿なき故にそれを畏れ(Because xxxxx)それを排除しようとする(we try to eliminate)。 In a colloquial form, the 畏れ becomes 畏れて in this sentence. That's what I meant by "the txt does not seem to be a complete sentence to me."

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I understand now. The author must have excerpted it and possibly forgot to change it into a complete sentence. Either way, I see what you mean now. *goes back to making grammar flashcards based off of the japanese books I have*
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I just realized where I went wrong. 畏れる is an ichidan verb, and I tried to stick a godan 命令形 on it. That's what you get with no formal education in a language. T_T

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member natural-log's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

How would you translate "在り、成り、そして在る"? Is "Exist, Become, And To Exist" good enough?
    It's a title of a book btw. But, I have yet to know the full context since there's only the first part of the book available AFAIK.
    Thx in advance.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natural-log View Post
    How would you translate "在り、成り、そして在る"? Is "Exist, Become, And To Exist" good enough?
    It's a title of a book btw. But, I have yet to know the full context since there's only the first part of the book available AFAIK.
    Thx in advance.
    The concept of being and becoming of YHWH may be used in the title, and if so, you may want to check out the set phrases or commonly used wordings related to the concept. I hate to distort the real meaning and author's intention, so I will not comment on this with so little knowledge on the subject.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member natural-log's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikkih View Post
    The concept of being and becoming of YHWH may be used in the title, and if so, you may want to check out the set phrases or commonly used wordings related to the concept. I hate to distort the real meaning and author's intention, so I will not comment on this with so little knowledge on the subject.
    Hmmm, being and becoming of YHWH, that certainly is a possibility... Just earlier, I found out that the preview for the middle part just came out, so it might be a while until I fully understand the context. For the time being, I guess the title translation might change as I go on or just leave it be until I get the idea.
    Anyway, thank you very much, and I'm sorry for the vague request.

New Reply
Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast