Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Questions...a whole lot of questions...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Questions...a whole lot of questions...

Enjoy

1) at the bottom left, that suiccho sfx. Tsutomu is pointing at two stars shining brigthly in the sky, one near the other. Mitsuru was crying because he thought he'll never become a manga artist...
    Could it be a sneezing? After all, Mitsuru became a big star in the manga world, but Tsutomu...well... So, a sneezing with a comic effect? Or what else?

2) bucchatte. buccharu->bucharu->suteru? Tsutomu is talking about Mitsuru's master, a cool guy who, at his peak of popularity, always came late at parties on purpose to play hard to get. He was also quite the irootoko...So, what is Tsutomu saying? When he'll ever quit with the irootoko act or something like that...?

3) ikasuze! What does it mean? If it was a line in vogue back then (mid/end of the sixties) could it be something from a famous actor? That guy (Ishii Isami) was nicknamed the Yujiro of Kamata. Yujiro is obviously a reference to Ishihara Yujiro...but did this Ishihara guy say ikasuze as a catch phrase? Or could this ikasuze stand for the "it feels so right" from Elvis?
    4) In this image, he's near the second Yokohama pier. If someone knew the name of this pier it could be a nice extra, but it's not vital.

5) Ono Shinji is ordering an orange juice. You can see it in the last panel. So, he ordered an orage juice, the one that's really...koi? Dense? Thick? Deep colored? What the...you can even see the ice cubes, so I guess that it's not so thick...(here they are in 1983).

6) Ono came to congratulate Adachi for having "Miyuki" get an anime. But now that he thinks about it, the year before, his own work "Momoiro gakuen" got a live action movie. So he thinks that he's better than both of them and that his talent is...mono wo iu sekai? The world speaks for his talent?

7) Kakkura? What is it? Does it come from kakkurau? Kin-chan is the name of the main character but, could the title be a pun with kakkurakin actually meaning something? We're in the first half of the sixties here...while the variety show called Kakkurakin daihoso started in 1976 and there the "kin" could be a reference to the day it always aired (friday)...
    8) Can you fully read the last bubble at the bottom left? The one starting with "yai"...I can only make out some bits...

9) Can you read all the kanji to the left of "production"?
    10) Can you read the kana to the right of the guy's elbow?
    11) Can you read what's written under the guy?<-joking.
    11) Do you know what the K S M Total stand for? It's an evaluation, but based on what parameters?

12) Kakkotsuita? From kakko ga tsuku? He has become...cool? Decent?

13) I can't make out the left character. Is it a word for director? Or section chief?

14) The ten principles, and the part in red is what I do not understand. Better, what meaning "nagai" has here. "Drawings with no efforts are not long"? What the...

15) ? 画
    16) 会 ?

17) 劣等生しょくん...My problem is with the しょくん. Can it be used to make the plural of a word?
    So, "poor students"? I've never found shokun used like this though...
    Or could it be that it was left in hiragana...because it's Sho-kun, the name of the boy on the cover? "Sho-kun, the poor student!"...so poor that even his name is just simple hiragana...

18) On the left column, hekkokimura. Is it just a funny name to call a village or has it got some deeper meaning? Like, a village in the sticks or something? Fart village...uhm...

And finally, something not manga related.

A group of heroes find a girl with no memories. She only remembers her name.
    They decide to ask the town guild for cooperation in finding who she is.
    The main hero says that "we still have no idea about her identity, and even if we went inquiring around in all the State districts, 該当者は現われないという状況。"
    The gaitosha should be the girl herself...but, arawarenai?
    At the moment they are taking her around town with them while doing errands so that maybe she'll remember something...

That's all.
    I hope to not bother you with other stuff for a long time after this.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions...a whole lot of questions...

Can't stay long enough to look for the ones I'm unsure of, will *attempt* to go through the rest in brief:

1) Sound of crickets

2) I'm not sure, Yahoo Answers here says "throw away," in that case you're probably on the right line. Someone please correct me ^^;

3) Not sure the origin; dictionary says this.

4) No idea, I'll skip this one.

5) You could try: koi = strong in flavour. (Aside: I'm not an expert in orange juice, but don't they have those concentrated fruit juice where you're supposed to add water before serving?)

6) Think of it as: sainou ga mono wo iu. So ~"This is a world where talent speaks for itself/means everything" etc.

7) I'm not familiar with these so I'll skip.

8)
    やい
    グンた(? ガンた? ん? lol I give up)を
    どこへつ
    れてった
    んだ!!

9) 審査一麻波健二プロダクション

10) もぐらプロダクション (I think. Went with さくら at first but then I saw the mogura a few images below. On the other hand, the white circles in this panel look like flower petals.)

11) Dunno

12) Yes, ~"Became good looking/presentable" (Sorry my English is limited so I can't find the right phrase.)

13) 係長 (かかりちょう) Section chief or something of that sort.

14) "do not last" (I think.)

15/16) もぐら対画プロダクション会誌

17) If the boy on the cover is called Sho-kun, as well as judging from the tag lines, I think it's probably intended as a pun by keeping it in kana. With 劣等生 before 諸君, it's simply directing the call of 'shokun' at the group of rettousei. Also, "shokun" feels to me there's a certain level of respect in its way of addressing a group of people.

18) Dunno, sounds like fart to me lol

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Can't stay long enough to look for the ones I'm unsure of, will *attempt* to go through the rest in brief:
    15/16) もぐら対画プロダクション会誌
    Are you sure about 対画? It seems something different to me...like "gekiga", but the left character is too...simple? And, moreover...what's a 対画
    Last edited by Guren no heya kara; October 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guren no heya kara View Post
    Are you sure about 対画? It seems something different to me...like "gekiga", but the left character is too...simple? And, moreover...what's a 対画
    Rofl I'm not sure, you're probably right 劇画 makes more sense, too.

(対画 = companion piece)

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

A theory about this one 審査一麻波健二 (it came to me during sleep...)
    Taking away this 審査 (judged by?), 一麻波健二 remain. These, in my opinion, are three different names (not two, like I thought) and that's what the KMS stands for; they are not parameters like drawings, story, panel layout and so on but simply the fist letter of their names.
    K gave an 8, S gave an 8 and M gave a 9, a total of 25 points. The problem is that KMS are not in the 一麻波健二 order (whatever!) and that there's no S...
    So, in my opnion, it's not 健 but one of the most complex kanji for "shin", so, Shinji.

Kazu Manami Shinji
    or
    Kazuma Minami Shinji
    or
    Kazuma Manami Shinji (Kazuma and Manami could have chosen to fuse their names to not repeat kanji).

mumble

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

(1) クスン: sob

(2) 色男ぶっちゃって <--- 色男ぶってしまって [色男ぶる+(して)しまう]
    He is making fun of the other person trying to be a ladies man for all this time.

(3) イカスぜ (Cool/Great): The Movie "Shimizu no Abarembou" ; (清水の暴れん坊)'s theme song, by Yujiro Ishihara (vocalist), is called "Ikasuze maiku no abarembou/ いかすぜマイクの暴れん坊."; Also, いかすぜ is part of the punchline in the song. I don't know if this is anything to do with the manga.

(4) Name: N/A

(5) 濃いオレンジジュース: OJ (Orange juice) made with powder/liquid/concentrated juice mix + less water. Strong (strong-tasting) OJ or Thick OJ does not sound right, so rather concentrated OJ or orange nectar juice might do the job.

(6) 己の才能がモノをいう世界なんだよなあ
    same as Utsu.
    己の才能がモノをいう: your success depends on your talent; it's all about talent
    世界: world = this (manga) industry

(7) カックラきんちゃん
    Backstory:
    According to the JP wiki, there was a funny cook called Kin-san at a staff members' favorite restaurant in Kagurazaka. His nick name was "Kagurazaka no kin-san," which was the actual origin of the TV show.
    Official: Based on the broadcasting day. Friday=Kinyoubi

(8) やい グン太をどこへつれてったんだ!!(It's a character's name, so you shoube be able to tell if that's グン太 or ガン太.)

(9) 審査 - 南波健二 (なんば けんじ)? [JP wiki]

(10) もぐら sounds fine to to me. (same as Utsu.) First/Left one is unclear, but the second letter looks like ぐ, and 3rd one is ろ or ら.

(11) not sure.

(12) カッコついたんで:カッコがついたので
    Presentable. It means that Mitsuru can finally do his job - can make decent manga. It doesn't mean being good-looking or cool.

(13) 係長 (かかりちょう):Assistant Manager; Subsection Chief ; Senior Staff

(Related: Section chief would be 課長/kachou.)

(14) よく読みよくかき習うべし、努力せぬ絵は長くなし。
    requires less time?

(15) 劇 <--- The kanji is abbreviated using 虍.

(16) 誌 (I think.)

(17) 劣等生しょくん:劣等生の皆さん
    ~諸君(しょくん): My fellow ~

Yes to plural.

(18) It's hard to tell without reading the manga, but I guess you could just say "couldn't find," "didn't turn up" or something similar.

Edit/Add: (5) + less water: add less water than normal/usual.
    Last edited by mikkih; Yesterday at 07:30 PM. Reason: &quot; to " marks. Edit/Add:

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy moly it really is 南波 as mikkih says. I had a lot of doubt with the 麻 (because the supposed 林 doesn't look all that symmetrical) but if you squint hard enough it does become 南!

Edit: what gives it away is the fact the top part (+) lines up with the down stroke in the inner part.

(For a moment I was convinced by your deduction but then upon double checking there's no way the third character is anything other than 健. The 廴 radical is pretty recognisable.)
    Last edited by Utsune; Yesterday at 02:28 PM.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, and I thought to have had the right intuition while sleeping...
    So, Nanba Kenji.

@mikkih

7) Alright, but, that manga is from the first half of the sixties, while the tv show is ten years or more later. Was that Kagaurazaka no Kin-san so popular even before? At a national level? Tsutomu (high schooler) and Mitsuru (middle schooler) are Gunma residents in the sixties, how could they have known him who was in Tokyo-Shinjuku-Kagurazaka? That's why I thought about kakkurau.

18) I guess you're talking about the very last question, and not the hekkokimura, right?

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

7) Alright, but, that manga is from the first half of the sixties, while the tv show is ten years or more later. Was that Kagaurazaka no Kin-san so popular even before? At a national level? Tsutomu (high schooler) and Mitsuru (middle schooler) are Gunma residents in the sixties, how could they have known him who was in Tokyo-Shinjuku-Kagurazaka? That's why I thought about kakkurau.
    kakkura かっくら may mean something like "a (fist) punch" in some dialects (including Gumma). So... the title may be equivalent to ぶっ飛ばせ きんちゃん or something.

Quote Quote:
    18) I guess you're talking about the very last question, and not the hekkokimura, right?
    Exactly. The actual 18: just a funny naming of the village, just like you guessed.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

simply the fist letter of their names.
    K gave an 8, S gave an 8 and M gave a 9, a total of 25 points.
    This sounds good to me. You don't need to translate K M S, so you could just leave them as is.

New Reply