Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for instruction.]

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

@Blackguard Thanks for the effort. Truly. It does help set into context the falseness of the scene, since there is no way Dalian and the guy would behave towards each other in that manner except in some "imaginary wannabe fanfic".

I have one last request, and not necessarily a translation request. If anyone is willing, can someone who can read Japanese scan over the pages I'm posting here (they are named in order): http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...lationRequest/.

Please just glance over the images at your leisure and tell me in just one sentence or so whether the incident on page 105(where Dalian [goth girl] puts the short skirt uniform on) actually happens within the context of the story (the whole page seems out of place) or is it just some imaginary scenario conjured up by the girls on the following pages (which seems to be the case to me). Because immediately after this incident Dalian is seen back in her regular goth school uniform with the long skirt. She was never seen walking around school or anywhere with the mini version. Can anybody please explain why? Was the scene on page 105 an imaginary scenario conjured up by that one girl on page 106 who was writing a story of some sort? Maybe a fiction of sorts? Because her behavior is inconsistent with the actual relationship dynamics between Dalian and the boy on page 105.

Much appreciated. My apologies for the odd and possibly confusing request. If there are questions, please ask.
    Last edited by oldmanpoo; July 28, 2011 at 05:42 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

On pg106, the girl says 「私何か書いてんのよ...授業中に妄想SS50ページとか」 = "What am I writing... a 50 page day dream short story", so we can assume the scene in pg105 is imaginined by the pg106 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanpoo View Post
    @Blackguard Thanks for the effort. Truly.

I have one last request, and not necessarily a translation request. If anyone is willing, can someone who can read Japanese scan over the pages I'm posting here (they are named in order): http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...lationRequest/.

Please just glance over the images at your leisure and tell me in just one sentence or so whether the incident on page 105(where Dalia [goth girl] puts the short skirt uniform on) actually happens within the context of the story (the whole page seems out of place) or is it just some imaginary scenario conjured up by the girls on the following pages (which seems to be the case to me). Because immediately after this incident Dalia is seen back in her regular goth school uniform with the long skirt. She was never seen walking around school or anywhere with the mini version. Can anybody please explain why? Was the scene on page 105 an imaginary scenario conjured up by that one girl on page 106 who was writing a story of some sort? Maybe a fiction of sorts? Because her behavior is inconsistent with the actual relationship dynamics between Dalia and the boy on page 105.

Much appreciated. My apologies for the odd and possibly confusing request. If there are questions, please ask.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. I assumed as much, since it seemed very out of character for Dalian (given her personality and the era of the time). I mean, it's supposed to be set in the 1920s in Britain but we have teenybopper school girls running around in uniforms with 4-inch skirts. In England. In the 1920s. Go figure.

And yes, I realize this manga is a spinoff to the original work. But it still grates my nerves to see this bastardization of the original wonderful material of the Dantalian no Shoka Light Novel Series for the sake of inserting pathetic, childish, ecchi fanservice into a medium or story that is supposed to remain serious and at least representative of the time being portrayed. I guess the bulk of my irritation comes from the fact that I am a fan of the original source material, and can only hope the anime does it justice. But enough about that. Perhaps others disagree and find this spinoff enjoyable. Who knows?

Thanks again for clearing that up. Does anyone here agree with myao's assessment that it's an imaginary scene on page 105? I have no reason not to agree myself, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion if one is willing.

Last request. Promise. Then I'll leave you to your work.

Thanks again.

I should note that the manga in question here is Dantalian no Shoka: Dalian Days. Not the other manga adaptation that's "supposedly" closer to the novels.
    Last edited by oldmanpoo; August 11, 2011 at 01:23 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Joefish's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read p. 105&106 but agree with myao.
    The girl also says sth about writing 50 page short story (if SS means short story) while in class. (as myao already wrote)
    Furthermore, 105 looks all flashy and blurry to me what is in most cases a indicator for a hallucination/dream/...

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joefish View Post
    Just read p. 105&106 but agree with myao.
    The girl also says sth about writing 50 page short story (if SS means short story) while in class. (as myao already wrote)
    Furthermore, 105 looks all flashy and blurry to me what is in most cases a indicator for a hallucination/dream/...
    Not to mention Dalian never accepted the skirt that pigtails girl tried to give her in the first place, and before the scene on page 105 pigtails girl had already taken the skirt back. I doubt Dalian had a spare one laying around. Then one or two pages later that same day Dalian was in the school library wearing her usual uniform with the goth skirt. Am I missing anything by chance?

At any rate, thanks for the second opinion. I tried to read the pages myself but had a heck of a time. The stuff I figured out through context and continuity led me to ask here for verification of what I assumed was the probable case already listed up there.

Just found out about the thanking system. Will give it a go.
    Last edited by oldmanpoo; July 27, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ancient japanese

Quote Originally Posted by sasiko View Post
    if that is the translation im completely lost what that means. I asked the proofreader neither they could get head or tails what that sentence meant, could you possibly clarify htis?
    thanks
    bump

ならぬことはならぬ 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member serizawa's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ancient japanese

Quote Originally Posted by sasiko View Post
    if that is the translation im completely lost what that means. I asked the proofreader neither they could get head or tails what that sentence meant, could you possibly clarify htis?
    thanks
    it means something like "he will lose himself in the pleasures of the flesh".
    "For we are here to bless this world with our love, wisdom and noble character."

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lynxian's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ケータイを無線状態にして聴いてくれ

I think the part I'm having the most difficulty with is 無線状態 (musen joutai). I gather it means "radio connection" but in this context, I'm stumped. Help would be greatly appreciated.

ならぬことはならぬ 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member serizawa's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't say for sure, but perhaps it may mean one of the following:
    1) find a place where the connection is working (that is, a place where you can actually use the cellphone);
    2) use the phone as a walkie-talkie.
    I have no idea about the context, so you'll have to see which fits better.
    Hope this helps...
    "For we are here to bless this world with our love, wisdom and noble character."

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member mote's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think this deserved a thread:

Spoiler show

ちょっぴりよ。。。う?。。。ゆ?。。。マグロ?。。。????

I have no idea. It's part of a flashback collage, so there's no context. Any help would be appreciated!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

If possible I would like to request for translation of the graph here: http://i.imgur.com/yjDhM.png
    What's in the box above the graph and what's on a y-coordinate would suffice (or at least y-coordinate please). Thanks in advance.

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How to look at the chart: The scale of each line indicates the average extent of release of spirit power required for each technique. Release needed to increase the power isn't included.
    Y axis top to bottom: High // Necessity of controlling spirit power // Low

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I didn't think this deserved a thread:
    Spoiler show

ちょっぴりよ。。。う?。。。ゆ?。。。マグロ?。。。????

I have no idea. It's part of a flashback collage, so there's no context. Any help would be appreciated!

わさびょうゆ <---(I would normally say わさびょうゆ but I don't see 2 dots/daiuten.)
    マグロと
    いちご大福

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lynxian's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd really appreciate some help with this one:

まるで布キレだ。。。そんなんじゃー止まったハエも殺せねえってな。。。!!

The best I could find was "布キレ" means cloth/a piece of cloth/veil, and "ハエ" is a fly/mob. I'm guessing there's some slang here that I'm not picking up on, or something... For context (in case that will help at all), it's essentially a battle scene, and the antagonist was just goading the protagonist for only dodging attacks.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynxian View Post
    I'd really appreciate some help with this one:

まるで布キレだ。。。そんなんじゃー止まったハエも殺せねえってな。。。!!

The best I could find was "布キレ" means cloth/a piece of cloth/veil, and "ハエ" is a fly/mob. I'm guessing there's some slang here that I'm not picking up on, or something... For context (in case that will help at all), it's essentially a battle scene, and the antagonist was just goading the protagonist for only dodging attacks.
    I would translate it literally.

布キレ=a piece of cloth
    まるで布キレだ。。。 It's just like a piece of cloth ...
    そんなんじゃー=そのようなものでは/そんな布キレでは
    止まったハエも: even a fly (which got on)---> ハエ(a fly) probably means a weak/low level enemy (someone who does not have much power; annoyance ) here, but I would translate it literally.
    殺せねえってな = 殺せない

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast