Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Baseball vocabulary

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Baseball vocabulary

Hello.
    I'd like to know if an english baseball word exist for "どん詰まり (dondzumari)".
    Seeing videos on youtube a dondzumari is just a powerful hit.
    I think the "don" should be there to give the sense of power. The tsumari... well, you know,
    is when you hit the ball with the part of the bat near your hands and the ball gets jammed
    resulting in a weird range of possible types of hits.
    For the time being I've put "a powerful hit" as a placeholder text, but... meh.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guren no heya kara; February 27, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Quote Originally Posted by Guren no heya kara View Post
    Hello.
    I'd like to know if an english baseball word exist for "どん詰まり (dondzumari)".
    Seeing videos on youtube a dondzumari is just a powerful hit.
    I think the "don" should be there to give the sense of power. The tsumari... well, you know,
    is when you hit the ball with the part of the bat near your hands and the ball gets jammed
    resulting in a weird range of possible types of hits.
    For the time being I've put "a powerful hit" as a placeholder text, but... meh.

Thanks.
    Would it be "pop-fly?"

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...it could be.
    In the manga happens just what is described there.
    Thanks.

And now...for your great pleasure, another round of "quick" questions!

1. 星浜
    A surname/name of a fictional baseball team. I can't find it's reading, so I went with Hoshihama, but maybe Hoshibama would be fine too...

2. 抜け球
    Nukedama. Can't find its translation. Yep, it's a baseball word. The best I found was the suggestion from google translate: missing ball.
    But...I have a character watching a baseball game on tv and he's criticizing the announcer statement about the possibility for the batter,
    who's just got a homer, to be a candidate for the rookie-of-the-year award (the guy watching the tv is one too!) saying that he just hit
    "a missing ball right to center from a careless pitch at a good moment!". So, the batter hasn't missed it at all. Since Nuke can mean other
    things, I thought it could be a "stolen ball"...

3. Aaaand, let's finish with another baseball word 規定打席到達 (kiteidasekitoutatsu). The word is on a newspaper and it's cut to the left,
    so I can't see what comes before kitei (provided there is even something before...).
    Google translates has "bat reaching provisions", weblio suggests "Minimum number of times at bat arrival" (what?). For kiteidaseki alone it has
    "regulation at batting". For what I can make out of this, I think the word is about the rules for the bats to be used during the season.
    Meaning, which materials are allowed, how long they can be, how much they can weight and so on. Or I could be totally wrong...
    Is there a specific word for this?

Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baseball vocabulary

1. 星浜:ほしはま (You are correct.)
    2. I'm not sure, but would it be something like a slip pitch? (抜ける often happens when the fingers slip and release a ball earlier than normal.)
    3. Definition:規定打席

I don't watch baseball games, so other members who are familiar to baseball could be a better help.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Well, I'll add this too.
    猛打賞 (moudashou)

Slugger award?
    For what I've read, there's no equivalent in the MLB and the most similar would be the "multi-hits" (multi-hit games?) award.
    Though in Japan is something awarded by the sponsors.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

猛打賞: an award for making 3 (and over) hits in a game in Japan. Since there is no equivalent in the US, something generic like an award for multi-hits may work. I don't know much about baseball, so someone else could correct me on this.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello again.
    This time I'm back with a baseball term. I guess.
    A player is answering questions from a reporter and he
    says ヒット性のあたりもいくつかありましたから。

What does it mean ヒット性のあたり ?

Intl Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sohma Riku's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guren no heya kara View Post
    Hello again.
    This time I'm back with a baseball term. I guess.
    A player is answering questions from a reporter and he
    says ヒット性のあたりもいくつかありましたから。

What does it mean ヒット性のあたり ?
    I'm not really a baseball expert, but I gave it a try. It's too bad you didn't give us the question of the reporter. That could've made things easier. Anyway...

My dictionary gives the following example sentence:
    打球練習でヒット性の当たりを飛ばす and translates it as:
    "Hit balls that look like hits during batting practice."
    Taking out the unnecessary elements, I say ヒット性のあたり would be as much as "balls that look like hits". So, I'd say he's talking about hits that initially looked quite okay, but ended up being out or easy to catch or something.

Hope it helps. If anyone here has more baseball knowledge, feel free to correct me. ^-^
    Last edited by Sohma Riku; May 07, 2013 at 05:10 AM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, this is something the dictionaries cannot teach you very well as far as I looked. There was only one entry which aided me, and that was on http://alc.co.jp, one of the dictionaries I use for really helpful examples. Apparently, 性の当たり is the word; it is attached to the end of words like ヒット and ホームラン as a suffix. In googling it, I chose to look for video examples, as it's clearly some sort of action in baseball, and probably baseball alone.

These four videos seem to isolate what a 性の当たり is:
    中田翔 スロー映像 HR性の当たり(フリー打撃) Shou Nakata Slow-mo High Res 性の当たり (Free shot)

【読売ジャイアンツ】センター長野久義 センターゴロ (2012.10.28 G vs F)
    In the description, 巨人のセンター長野選手がライナー性の当たりをショートバウン­ドで捕球して、すぐさまセカンドへ送球してアウト。
    The Giant's Player Chouno (Or similar noun referring to a player involving too many kanji to be sure of) hits a (perfect line shot?) caught at the short bound and immediately tossed to second base and out.

ホームラン性の当たりだったが...。Was home run (perfect chance/hit?), but...
    In this one, the ball goes way out of field only to be returned in time to stop the runner from making a home run.

080503大輔本塁憤死
    Again, the similar theme of something happening to stop a home run, with が following 性の当たり.

In essence, I think this means a perfect shot, right on target to be an X that is denied.

Given the original Japanese of 「ヒット性の当たりも幾つかありましたから。」, I would translate it as "That's because there were also quite a few that could've been hits." I'd say he was probably on the losing team and that the reporter was asking something like, "That was a really close match, even though you guys got a lot of good hits".

For some vocabulary, the only way to define it is by seeing the context. Few dictionaries cover everything, especially slang that isn't often used.

Hopefully I've helped you out.

EDIT: A more clear definition is something that looked exactly like X, (but turned out completely different). In the Shou Nakata video, I think that the word is being used to refer to the fact that he's not making shots in a real game.
    Last edited by Aarowaim; May 12, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I see.
    I've tried watching some videos too but they were all "this video can't be wathched in your country" or something like that.

As for the situation, the pitcher made a perfect game, but at the bottom of the last inning there were two hits. The first collides directly with the short stop body, but resisisting the pain he manages to catch the ball and throw it just in time to a baseman who gets the runner out. After this the last batter hits but the ball flies high with a weird trajectory and the catcher manages to get it, almost colliding with the stadium wall. The reporter says that the perfect game was proof that the pitcher really has got a super fast arm like they say, but he says that it's not true because he's just pitched like the catcher was signaling from start to finish and...the reporter stops him and says that what he wants to say is that only with everyone's efforts that result was possible. The pitcher says "yes, hitto sei no atari mo ikutsu arimashita kara". So, basically this is referred to the last two hits that could have been perfect hits (without the help of his team members).

I see, I see.
    ^^
    Last edited by Guren no heya kara; May 14, 2013 at 04:54 AM.

New Reply