Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for instruction.]

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Quote Originally Posted by buechse View Post
    Hey there,

can someone help with some bubbles on this page? I figured some parts of them for myself, but I'm not confident enough.
    Context: it's about a swimming contest and one girl wanted to drop out of the swim team because she's in a slump.

A class match is something like a festival
    Rather than winning or losing
    //It's more important that everyone has lots of fun!
    --
    ---Besides
    //Even if your time is slow, it's just a temporary slump
    Maybe you'll be back in great shape for the real thing!
    --
    Well, anyway
    //Let's just relax!
    Relax!

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Loldiz View Post
    Someone could help me with this sentence?

つてまちが毎年泣くからさ

やめちゃつたんだよね冬眠

アルバム

あつたつけそんなこと。。。

ナツ

でさこの時もまちつたらさ

ナツ

私やつぱク都青の高校に行きたい

Thanks in advance.
    You have too many transcription errors. Translating this is like solving a puzzle. It might be fun, but too time consuming. Next time you should just post the original image. (And don't forget to explain the context as well)
    Last edited by cmertb; August 11, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
    我は怠惰そのものである。

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Without a good transcription, you may as well be using google translate and a random word generator to fill in the blanks. If however, you can provide us with the original text, we can do the transcription for you as well as provide a good translation for you. Also, as is always useful, if you give us a sentence or two of description, we can make the translation even better ^_^

For a good example of what we can use, cmertb responded to an excellent request just before he responded to you.
    Last edited by Aarowaim; August 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Animeace's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Incioming summary request when you have the time. New series Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan by author YAMAMOTO Souichirou

Quote Quote:
    ふだつきのキョーコちゃん」はシスコンのヤンキー高校生・札月(ふだつき)ケンジと、その妹のキョーコの物語。キョーコにちょっかいをかける男たちをことごとく排除してきたケンジだったが、その行動にはある理由があった。

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Animeace View Post
    Incioming summary request when you have the time. New series Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan by author YAMAMOTO Souichirou

"Fudatsuki no Kyouko-chan" is a story of a siscon Yankee high schooler Fudatsuki Kenji and his little sister Kyouko. Keiji's been utterly eliminating any men that would try make any moves on Kyouko, and there was a certain reason for it.
    我は怠惰そのものである。

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmertb View Post
    A class match is something like a festival
    Rather than winning or losing
    //It's more important that everyone has lots of fun!
    --
    ---Besides
    //Even if your time is slow, it's just a temporary slump
    Maybe you'll be back in great shape for the real thing!
    --
    Well, anyway
    //Let's just relax!
    Relax!
    Hi there, I just wanted to point out a teeny error in the translation in the second panel's first double-jointed bubble. なったのは in that sentence shows that it is past tense so the line actually translates as:

b1: Besides,
    b2: the reason your time was slow was just 'cause of a one-off slump.

Quote Originally Posted by Loldiz View Post
    Someone could help me with this sentence?

つてまちが毎年泣くからさ

やめちゃつたんだよね冬眠

アルバム

あつたつけそんなこと。。。

ナツ

でさこの時もまちつたらさ

ナツ

私やつぱク都青の高校に行きたい

Thanks in advance.
    From what I can see the biggest mistake in your translation is actually just a simple one. If you take a look at the raw you might notice that a lot of つ letters are actually smaller than the ones around them, The difference between つ and っ is that the smaller one denotes a kind of pause or glottal stop. It'll change the word かつぱ (katsupa) into かっぱ (kappa). So looking at your sentences without context I think this is how it was supposed to be;

つてまちが毎年泣くからさ
    'Because Tsutemachi cries every year.' I'm not sure what tsutemachi is in this part. It's either a name or a misspelling.

やめちゃったんだよね冬眠
    'So you've (he/she/it?) stopped hibernating then?' or 'So you've (he/she/it) come out of hibernating then?

アルバム
    Album.

あったっけそんなこと。。。
    'Did that really happen...?' or 'Did something like that actually happen...?'

ナツ
    Could be the word summer, a name or a mistake. Context needed.

私やっぱり都青の高校にいきたい
    'Actually, I want to go to 都青's high school' or 'I've decided, I want to go to 都青's high school.' I think the kanji 都青 you've written might be incorrect but either way it's probably a name (??'s high school) or a place (high school of ??).

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by neitan666718 View Post
    Hi, please help me with this page of Sengoku manga...

Spoiler show

Thanks in advance....

Now this was hard. I can see why people have stayed away from it. In the end I had to read up about the syntax on japanese sites where japanese people were having trouble. Now I don't know anything about the manga you're mentioning and I'm not an expert on obsolete Japanese vocabulary but I hope the trans accurate enought that it does justice to the mood and the setting. p = panel, t = text, n = note, / = alternate translation

p1t1: On that battleground........
    The woodfowl's impression quietened and
    the impression of the carnage/fight won over.

p1n: Meaning the chicken woodcarving.

p1t2: I could only
    watch in awe....

p2t1: If I were to stand on the frontline now
    my jittery self would be

p2t2: so pathetic,
    so embarrassing/humiliating...

There you are then. I'm gonna suck up a monster spider with a hoover now.
    Last edited by sofeenalee; August 16, 2013 at 07:13 AM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofeenalee View Post
    ナッ
    Same issue - Probably the SFX 'na', maybe being used as masculine ね/right?
    ---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

p1t1: On that battleground........
    The woodfowl's impression quietened and
    the impression of the carnage/fight won over.

p1n: Meaning the chicken woodcarving.
    p2t2: so pathetic,
    so embarrassing/humiliating...
    According to the corpus that my dictionary draws from, 如く is used as follows. 彼は脱兎の如く逃げた; He ran like a scared rabbit. As far as I can tell, your only real mistake is in the style you use for the translation, not the actual interpretation.
    p1t1: "On that battlefield...... It was as if the woodfowl grew silent, and then, the fighting was carnage"
    p1n: Hard to make out, but ~のこと talks about objects as everything relating to them, "The chicken woodcarving (as an object)"
    p2t2: humiliating is perfect, as it conveys the formal sense of archaic speech. Embarassing has a much less weighty sense to it. Also of interest is this, which states that のう may be used as an archaic alternative for ない or なぁ, which gives us 情けない/shameful. In a samurai manga, shameful is a perfectly valid word to use.

So there you go, if you don't mind corrections. Do understand though, that your translation was by no means bad or below par, I just have a habit of trying to perfect things that are already good enough, especially when I feel that I or the other person can learn an interesting little tidbit; that and I only just finished stumbling upon that article yesterday.
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Monthly Young King Ours had a name change this month and something about a renewal of publication can anyone tell me if it mentions it's being done by the same publisher Shōnen Gahosha or is it being picked up by someone else? It looks like none of the manga series has been affected here's the article any info much appreciated

Quote Quote:
    月刊ヤングキング(少年画報社)は本日8月16日発売の10月号から、誌名をアワーズGH(じーえいち)にリニューアル。これに伴い発売日は毎月16日に変更された。なお掲載内容は変わらず、月刊ヤングキングの連載を引き継いでいる。

リニューアルを記念して今号では、複製原画と描き下ろしの小冊子、およびクリアカード5種類のセットを抽選で100名にプレゼント。複製原画は今号の掲載作品から、カラーや見開き問わず好きなページをリクエストできる。

また小冊子は、連載陣がリニューアル告知用に描き下ろしたマンガを収録したもの。クリアカードは大井昌和「おくさん」、金平守人「漫犬~エロ漫の星~」、クリスタルな洋介「M・ゲーム」、けんたろう「百騎夜行」、塩野干支郎次「この人類域のゼルフィー」の5種類だ。

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim View Post
    According to the corpus that my dictionary draws from, 如く is used as follows. 彼は脱兎の如く逃げた; He ran like a scared rabbit. As far as I can tell, your only real mistake is in the style you use for the translation, not the actual interpretation.
    p1t1: "On that battlefield...... It was as if the woodfowl grew silent, and then, the fighting was carnage"
    p1n: Hard to make out, but ~のこと talks about objects as everything relating to them, "The chicken woodcarving (as an object)"
    p2t2: humiliating is perfect, as it conveys the formal sense of archaic speech. Embarassing has a much less weighty sense to it. Also of interest is this, which states that のう may be used as an archaic alternative for ない or なぁ, which gives us 情けない/shameful. In a samurai manga, shameful is a perfectly valid word to use.

So there you go, if you don't mind corrections. Do understand though, that your translation was by no means bad or below par, I just have a habit of trying to perfect things that are already good enough, especially when I feel that I or the other person can learn an interesting little tidbit; that and I only just finished stumbling upon that article yesterday.
    Not at all, in fact it helps us learn and improve for which I'm grateful for.

p1t1- To be honest when it came to 如く I should have realised the the word 木鶏 was uninflected. I'm so used to seeing it coupled with 連体形 when they use 如く instead of 如き.
    p1n- I was using 'Meaning' as id est, so 'in regards to' or plain simple 'i.e.' would have worked too but I don't think 'meaning' was incorrect either.
    p2t2: Thanks for the link. I was aware of the use of のう as I'm used to the older generation using it but I haven't been to the Hiroshima area yet the hear しゅう ending as much as I'd like. The words pathetic or pitiable would be using 情けのう as a marker and 'shameful' as an admonishment so it depends on the character's personality or principles to decide which works best. Perhaps the word deplorable too would fit together with their 武士道?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there you go!
    I kinda picked up on your skill as a translator, so I figured my role was to catch any little mistakes. I find that when you know something well enough, you make small mistakes. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to catch the mistakes that are made when a sharp mind fills in blanks. Being a good reader, I'm dyslexic when I read at a normal pace because my mind has learnt to fill in blanks quickly. On p1n, my comment of 'hard to make out', was in reference to the kanji being blurred so much. Your original translation was fair enough. As for the しゅう, I have yet to encounter it aside from this manga, however, from a quick google search and the manga, I concluded that it is at very least, semantically equivalent to 恥ずかしい. deplorable is an excellent word, and the reason I made a B-line for shameful was also that it seemed like a 武士道 sort of word involving honour.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Animeace View Post
    Monthly Young King Ours had a name change this month and something about a renewal of publication can anyone tell me if it mentions it's being done by the same publisher Shōnen Gahosha or is it being picked up by someone else? It looks like none of the manga series has been affected here's the article any info much appreciated
    By the looks of it, the portion which concerns you is the first paragraph. The essence of it is as follows:
    "Monthly Young King (Shonen Gahosha) has announced in the issue on sale today that effective from the November issue, they have renewed their name into Awaazu GH (Hours?). Accompanying this, they will now release on the 16th of each month. The content of the magazine will not be changing and will take the place of Monthly Young King."

They then move on to speak about promotional materials related to the name change, such as a special reprint of original artwork (presumably a cover), a pamphlet, and a set of five 'clear cards' which will be raffled away to a lucky one hundred. They then describe that the reprint will be from this issue, but possibly a colour print or a two page spread, etc. Finally, they move on to mention that the pamphlet is a manga made for the purpose of explaining the name change and then list the five different clear cards to collect.

If you need a better translation, feel free to ask. I made a very raw outline that should suffice. It appears that Shounen Gahosha is still the publisher, but it is not explicitly mentioned, so you'll probably want to keep up with the news.
    Last edited by Aarowaim; August 16, 2013 at 09:55 PM.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim View Post
    Yeah, there you go!
    I kinda picked up on your skill as a translator, so I figured my role was to catch any little mistakes. I find that when you know something well enough, you make small mistakes. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to catch the mistakes that are made when a sharp mind fills in blanks. Being a good reader, I'm dyslexic when I read at a normal pace because my mind has learnt to fill in blanks quickly. On p1n, my comment of 'hard to make out', was in reference to the kanji being blurred so much. Your original translation was fair enough. As for the しゅう, I have yet to encounter it aside from this manga, however, from a quick google search and the manga, I concluded that it is at very least, semantically equivalent to 恥ずかしい. deplorable is an excellent word, and the reason I made a B-line for shameful was also that it seemed like a 武士道 sort of word involving honour.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

By the looks of it, the portion which concerns you is the first paragraph. The essence of it is as follows:
    "Monthly Young King (Shonen Gahosha) has announced in the issue on sale today that effective from the November issue, they have renewed their name into Awaazu GH (Hours?). Accompanying this, they will now release on the 16th of each month. The content of the magazine will not be changing and will take the place of Monthly Young King."

They then move on to speak about promotional materials related to the name change, such as a special reprint of original artwork (presumably a cover), a pamphlet, and a set of five 'clear cards' which will be raffled away to a lucky one hundred. They then describe that the reprint will be from this issue, but possibly a colour print or a two page spread, etc. Finally, they move on to mention that the pamphlet is a manga made for the purpose of explaining the name change and then list the five different clear cards to collect.

If you need a better translation, feel free to ask. I made a very raw outline that should suffice. It appears that Shounen Gahosha is still the publisher, but it is not explicitly mentioned, so you'll probably want to keep up with the news.
    First paragraph was more than enough thanks a ton! So dropped the Young King Name completely I def didn't expect that guess there looking for a fresh start just glad series weren't effected means we will still get our monthly dose of Drifters and World Embryo. I'll keep a look out on there site for changes so I can import it on CdJapan when released
    Last edited by Animeace; August 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner GotazaFansub's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, guys. Me & my friends came across the 2nd volume of Ultraman and we would like to know what the titles of the chapters mean. Our kanji knowledge is still a bit lacking, unfortunately. (I hope the image isn't too big)

Thank you and sorry for taking some of your time away.

ならぬことはならぬ 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member serizawa's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Literally:

盟約, "pledge" or "pact"
    暗転, "taking a turn to the worse" or "a short blackout to set the stage"
    稽古, "training"
    開幕, "ouverture"
    激高, "rage" or "fury"
    触媒, "catalyst"
    律動, "rhythm"
    赤光, "red light"

Hope this helps...
    "For we are here to bless this world with our love, wisdom and noble character."

19. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Figuratively, your Chapter titles are something like this:
    1: 盟約 = 'a sacred oath', in English 'an oath' should be fine
    2: 暗転 = 'setting the stage' (as opposed to 開幕/'raising the curtain')
    3: 稽古 = pretty much what Sohma says. It may also be 'rehearsal', if you decide to keep with the theatrical naming scheme. (and my corpus, a compiled list of valid Japanese translations, indicates that it is a valid interpretation)
    4: 開幕 = 'raising the curtain'
    5+: Sohma has the right translations. Feel free to add in the articles 'the' or 'a' if you feel like a solitary noun isn't good enough for the title.

21. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner trunkschan90's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help on translating some sentences. They're from the 009 Re: Cyborg manga chapter 9.

ビル群の倒壊の仕方から見て地質学や風水を駆使し少なくともビルを建てる2年以上前からあの大惨事を想定していたはずです

東京で ミサイルが使われたのは彼の声を聞いた米軍の誰かが警戒が厳しくなっている中確実に高層ビルを破壊するためにとった新たな手段だったのではないでしょうか.

(a character is being pursued by some military jets)
    やはり 見逃してはくれんか

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trunkschan90 View Post
    Need help on translating some sentences. They're from the 009 Re: Cyborg manga chapter 9.

ビル群の倒壊の仕方から見て地質学や風水を駆使し少なくともビルを建てる2年以上前からあの大惨事を想定していたはずです

東京で ミサイルが使われたのは彼の声を聞いた米軍の誰かが警戒が厳しくなっている中確実に高層ビルを破壊するためにとった新たな手段だったのではないでしょうか.

(a character is being pursued by some military jets)
    やはり 見逃してはくれんか

These are...... a mouthful to translate but here goes, lol. (The English could be a bit sloppy)

Judging from the way the buildings collapsed, that tragedy could have been predicted using geology and feng-shui ever since the building was constructed over two years ago.

The use of missiles within Tokyo was probably a new means taken by someone from the US military who heard his voice, in order to destroy the skyscrapers without fail under stricter security measures.

Can't you let me go?
    Last edited by Utsune; August 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

24. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast