Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Quote Originally Posted by trunkschan90 View Post
    Need help on translating some sentences. They're from the 009 Re: Cyborg manga chapter 9.

ビル群の倒壊の仕方から見て地質学や風水を駆使し少なくともビルを建てる2年以上前からあの大惨事を想定していたはずです

東京で ミサイルが使われたのは彼の声を聞いた米軍の誰かが警戒が厳しくなっている中確実に高層ビルを破壊するためにとった新たな手段だったのではないでしょうか.

(a character is being pursued by some military jets)
    やはり 見逃してはくれんか

These are...... a mouthful to translate but here goes, lol. (The English could be a bit sloppy)

Judging from the way the buildings collapsed, that tragedy could have been predicted using geology and feng-shui ever since the building was constructed over two years ago.

The use of missiles within Tokyo was probably a new means taken by someone from the US military who heard his voice, in order to destroy the skyscrapers without fail under stricter security measures.

Can't you let me go?
    Last edited by Utsune; August 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Animeace's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Shippo! Enhancement manga summary please and thank you

しっぽ!エンハンスメント」は謎の尻尾が生えた少女が、尻尾を駆使して敵と戦うバトルアクション。第1話では彼女の尻尾に対し、もとの所有者は自分であると主張する青年が現れたことから、ふたりがトラブルに巻き込まれていく様子が描かれた。
    Last edited by Animeace; August 29, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Animeace View Post
    Shippo! Enhancement manga summary please and thank you

しっぽ!エンハンスメント」は謎の尻尾が生えた少女が、尻尾を駆使して敵と戦うバトルアクション。第1話では彼女の尻尾に対し、もとの所有者は自分であると主張する青年が現れたことから、ふたりがトラブルに巻き込まれていく様子が描かれた。
    "Shippo! Enhancement" is a battle-action series about a girl who, having grown a mysterious tail, uses it to battle enemies. In Chapter 1, we see[1] a young man[2] appears, claiming to be the original owner of her tail, and the two of them get wrapped up in trouble from then on.

[1] Originally "it is drawn that" as in "the manga is drawn portraying those events," but I can't think of a good way to phrase it literally, hence "we see" unless you can help me rephrase it a bit XD

[2] I had a quick look-up to check the gender of the second mentioned character. The original term isn't gender-specific in particular but I decided it would flow better than "young person."

Sorry for the mess, hope this helps.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Animeace's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    "Shippo! Enhancement" is a battle-action series about a girl who, having grown a mysterious tail, uses it to battle enemies. In Chapter 1, we see[1] a young man[2] appears, claiming to be the original owner of her tail, and the two of them get wrapped up in trouble from then on.

[1] Originally "it is drawn that" as in "the manga is drawn portraying those events," but I can't think of a good way to phrase it literally, hence "we see" unless you can help me rephrase it a bit XD

[2] I had a quick look-up to check the gender of the second mentioned character. The original term isn't gender-specific in particular but I decided it would flow better than "young person."

Sorry for the mess, hope this helps.
    Yeah I think that it was more of person giving comments on the chapter than a legit summary so phrasing is a little weird but you did an amazing job great work as always.

It's a lot better than my garbled up summary

"Tail! Enhancement is enigma's tail-growing girl, making full use of the tail to fight the enemy. Battle action. The first story, a young girl's tail and a young man who claims to be one of her own. How the two get into trouble is drawn." LMAO I might as well be using google translate HAHA

I found couple pics from natali gender part is reffering to a boy I guess.
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by mikkih; September 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: image in spoiler tags

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SummerRain's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind, haha. Guess no one wants to help.
    Last edited by SummerRain; September 13, 2013 at 02:39 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner buechse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there, hope someone can help me with Murata's notes from the first onepunchman volume.

シンプルな カオの竿 なのに ??しすぎ
    Simple?
    -----

ついに単行本化!
    Finally in Tankobon form!

webと違って印刷物になると
    もう描き直しがきかないので
    念入りに手を入れました。
    楽しんでやってくださいませ!

I think he speaks about how drawing for a web comic is pretty different to drawing for a magazine, but I'm not sure about the second half.
    ----

この作品は フィクションです。
    実在の人物, 団体, 事件などには, いっ?い関係ありません。

Well, forget the last one in the sign, just realized it's the fictional persons disclaimer
    All I want is everything, is that too much to ask?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

シンプルな カオの なのに しすぎ
    Even though (nano ni) I expected (hazu - the little smudge at bottom of character is 口) it to be a simple face, it was too (noun sugi = surpassingly/an excess) difficult
    ついに単行本化!
    Finally in Tankobon form!
    Finally changed into Tankobon!/Finally Tankobon-ized (化 is an all purpose suffix meaning 'change'; e.g, chemistry = 化学; change study)

webと違って印刷物になると
    When it comes to printed material
    もう描き直しがきかないので
    It's not like the web (web to chigatte) because it's harder (kikanai/be accessible/useful) to re (naoshi) draw (egaki)
    念入りに手を入れました。
    So I had to really pay attention.
    楽しんでやってくださいませ!
    I hope you enjoy it! (being polite, but not formal; a casual verb with a polite suffix)

----

この作品は フィクションです。
    This is a work of fiction.
    実在の人物, 団体, 事件などには, いっい関係ありません。
    It has absolutely nothing to do with real people, organizations or events.

Good job so far, but you've got a little ways to go. ^_^ You just need to get more vocabulary and experience under your belt to be good with hand-written Japanese. I wasn't excessively grammatical or formal in my translation, but I did it in a way that should help you see how the grammar works. I avoided rewriting the general grammar of sentences, but also avoided being too X = Y and robotic. As far as your attempt, it was quite admirable and shows that you're making some good progress!
    As a tip, き and さ, when hand-written tend to 'skip' a bit of the curve, or draw it as a perpendicular line. There are other letters which look different when written.
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Loldiz's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I need help with this sentence:

クマと少女お別れの時
    My translation: The farewell between the Girl and the Bear

Is that correct? Could someone help me?

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ComradeLewis's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

~時 attached to a verb or ~の時 attached to a noun is one of the ways to say "when" or "at that time." There are a few other ways to say "when" in Japanese but 時 is the most temporal of them all (the other ways stress "If" to different degrees). Other than that your translation is pretty good.

You could translate it, "when the girl and the bear separated." or "at the time of their separation," etc..

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TheGodOfKonoha's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me what this says???
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by mikkih; September 18, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spoiler tags

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodOfKonoha View Post
    Can someone tell me what this says???

Lol this one is funny:
    I bought a souvenir for Mr. PIC (person in charge,) I wanted to gift it but it was past its best before date... Meaningless!! <Masashi>

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kaibutsu's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a new translator and I often get caught out with the slang I find in shoujo manga.

ーじゃないさわるくらい
    Can someone please help me with this sentence? And tell me what the い at the beginning means? At first, I thought it was short for いい, but I don't really want to take any risks.

Image (it's the bubble with the JP writing):
    Spoiler show

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

It's いー, meaning いい. In manga you'll find often ー used to make the vowels long after the hiragana...it should be used only after a vowel in katakana though, but because it's manga and spoken language and stuff for youngsters...you know, it's "acceptable".

The sentence is something like "Just touching is fine, right?", or something similar to this.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibutsu View Post
    I'm a new translator and I often get caught out with the slang I find in shoujo manga.

ーじゃないさわるくらい
    Can someone please help me with this sentence? And tell me what the い at the beginning means? At first, I thought it was short for いい, but I don't really want to take any risks.

Image (it's the bubble with the JP writing):
    Spoiler show

Welcome
    I'm not much of a translator myself, but there are a few bits you could look out for when translating Japanese. Short answer to your question is, yes that does mean いい. The long answer is, い― carries a different feeling/emotion than simply いい.

Different ways of representing a word all hold different meanings behind the speaker/author's intention. For example, you will sometimes see certain Japanese words in hiragana that could have been written in kanji. You see this often when children speak. This is because when they pronounce difficult words, they treat the word as if it were a compound of several syllables. Technically, this is of course true, but for an adult with more experience in difficult words, they treat the word as a 'whole.' On paper, writing in kanji gives off a more mature feeling about them, while writing in hiragana gives you an easy/childish/(sometimes happy) feeling.

For words or sentences pronounced weirdly or slightly off from how it should sound, they are tend to be written in katakana. You see this most often when foreigners or non-humans (monsters) speak. On paper, katakana feels more 'distant' and 'isolated' from what you're used to, especially when whole sentences are in katakana.

In the case of い―じゃないか, there is a notable emphasis on the word "い―", possibly elongated i.e. the girl is holding the いい sound effectively longer than what your typical いい should sound like.

Do note however, not everything can be retained when you translate from Japanese to English. I'm specifically referring to these implicit/suggestive emotions/feelings behind the way the dialogues are written on paper. Being able to get the general gist of feeling is one thing, the way you choose to present the dialogues in English is totally at your own discretion. In this case, there's probably no good way to present the slightly different emotion behind the い― without changing the literal meaning, so I guess you could translate it normally. (The non-literal choice could be something like: "Aah~ Why not?" but of course, the "Aah" sound is not in the original dialogue.)

(In conclusion, to be honest, a lot of information is already lost upon translating 僕, 俺, 私, わたし, あたし, ボク, オレ, ワシ etc. so you might as well not worry too much )

EDIT: And oh, yes the meaning of the phrase is as Guren no heya kara says.
    Last edited by Utsune; September 18, 2013 at 08:15 AM.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TheGodOfKonoha's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Can some one tell me ''Exactly'' what this says ??? Please.

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast