Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bowser's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Plato's Cave is about discovering the Form of Good and getting KNOWLEDGE rather than self-discovery - it offers no self-satisfaction whatsoever.

Anyway. Can you imagine? Claymore will be on Chapter 123 by next year...that seems so far away o_o

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore chapters should come out on a weekly basis. I hate monthly releases. T_T

@ Bowser - Yeah, it's definitely a long wait... the way I see it anyway. Here's me hoping that it becomes a weekly release in 2011.. ><

I feel sorry for those who only read Claymore.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yagi is doing both the writing and the art himself, and personally if the quality of either the story or the art degrades from doing a weekly release, I'm not interested.

A month is a long wait though, I definately agree with that. But, I don't want to lose Claymore's quality just for it to come out sooner. What's the point of a manga coming out soon, if it's trash? Though, I don't see why it can't come out at least every half month, as that would be much more bare'eble (can't spell, V.V) for us, and still would be more time than a week for Yagi. Though, I'm not a writer nor artist and I'm sure no publisher would change to a half month release for it anyways, and also I can certainly understand it taking a month to think of the next chapter's story/plot, write it, and then draw it. That's a lot of work for one person.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wickedsmile's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To those of you who have done this type of work, how long woud it take to conceptualize the story of one chapter and actually "put it on paper?" Some of the scenes, especially those that take up two pages, look intensely intricate. I can only imagine how long it would have taken Yagi to draw the panel that show Jean's awaken butterfly form. You litterally see all the vains in the wings (coincidently, imho, one of the most beautiful awaken shapes, which professes pure benevolence instead malevolence).

Also, we assume that Yagi spends his entire month penning Claymore. Does he have any contractual obligations to other publications?

ws
    I don't want to die. Even if that makeshift family was all nothing more than an illusion, doomed to someday fall apart. I so wish, so wish, it could have lasted the tiniest bit longer. - Norihiro Yagi

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Moie's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

idk Yagi's situation but... GET ASSISTANTS
    I won't call for a weekly but bi-monthly is quite do-able.

Soil. Can you dig it?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Fê - forever alone's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to discuss about Plato's cave here, but everyone knows that philosophy has not only one way to understand/interpretate things.
    ---

I think Yagi already has assistants.

And about the time demanded to make a page... Well, it depends. If you have a story plot already done, you just have to draw what you already written, but that isn't as easy as it sounds. I think Yagi has already the plot done for a long time, he just changes a few things when his editor/publisher tells him to. It's quite normal. And normally, the authors/mangakas have usually at least three chapters done by the time we read one.

I mean, now it's chapter 111, I bet Yagi has at least the 112, 113 already done, waiting to see if he'll have to change somethings.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not an authority on this, as I'm an American living in the U.S. and know nothing of Japan and manga/anime production and such stuff, but the last I heard from other people is that Yagi does all of Claymore manga himself, no assistants. This was some time ago, so maybe he does have assistants now. But, I don't think so, as I think I could recognize a change in quality or type of artwork and writing that would occur if he had assistants do the art or the writing or both. I'm not able to verify at all if this is true or not of what these others have said though.

-------------------------------

If anyone can officially/authoritatively clarify this, it would be greatly appreciated by all of us!
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; December 30, 2010 at 02:17 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Moie's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if he has assistants or not i mean, i know some magazines specialize in monthly releases and if that's the case and maybe he has a contract with them, it could easily be remedied by making longer chapters even if by 10 pages. For mangaka the best thing to do is have chapters done ahead of time for editor review so i think that by changing or at least experimenting with chapter length, he can up his ratings AND provide more per months making readers feel more satisfied however, there's always the chapter plot according to the length to consider...

Soil. Can you dig it?

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd rather read a well crafted, thought out 30+ pages once a month than 10 or so pages thrown together hasitily to meet a deadline. The quality would suck, IMO. I know other authors do it but I can also recognize "filler" episodes while the author lets a particular plot device gel in his/her head before publication. Waiting a month between episodes is hard, but worth it I think.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

On Animesuki someone has written that Claymore sales are steadily dropping. After some digging here's what I've found:

Quote Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
    As I've said before the sale for last 6-7 volumes have been steadly decreasing but it's the same for manga like rosario + vampire who's last volume barely broke into the top 20 on it's frist week. (...)
    No they're not, stop making things up (or at least show some ratings to back you up). I've checked Oricon rankings before and the sales of Claymore volumes are steady, over 200 000/volume (358 000 average for volumes 1-17 but it's not surprising that first 5-10 volumes would have better sales if only for the fact they've been around for 5-10 years now). And comparing it to other Jump SQ titles it looks like this:

Quote Quote:
    Claymore (1~17) = 6,100,000
    Tegami Bachi (1~11) = 4,000,000
    Rosario to Vampire (1~10, 1~8) = 3,000,000
    Masuda Kousuke Gekijou Gag Manga Biyori (1~10) = 4,000,000
    Shiki (1~7) = 1,100,000
    Tennis no Oujisama (1~42, 1~4) = 45,000,000
    Ao no Exorcist (1~5) = 1,800,000
    D.Gray-man (1~20) = 20,000,000
    Kakkokawaii Sengen! (1) = 180,000
    To Love-Ru (1~18) = 7,000,000

And BTW, Claymore was supposed to have colour page(s) in May issue so we should get at least one.

Also, newest volume of Claymore published in US (i.e. 17) is one of the best selling mangas according to NYT which isn't that odd since people from many countries import it (I know two people who have all or almost all volumes from Viz, one has 17 the other 15 and they don't import anything else).

And the latest ranking I could find was this (from about December 6-13th):

1. Shingeki no Kyojin #3, (185,674)(Bessatsu Shonen Magazine)
    2. Bleach #48, (173,224/635,378)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    3. D.Gray-man #21, (148,236/363,413)(Jump SQ)
    4. Gintama #37, (134,298/322,916)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    5. Katekyo Hitman Reborn! #32, (121,456/302,216)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    6. Claymore #19, (76,466/167,037)(Jump SQ)
    7. Vampire Knight #13, (64,386/140,189)(LaLa)
    8. Kuroko no Basuke #10, (60,111/135,419)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    9. Sket Dance #16, (58,315/135,141)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    10. Drop #12, (54,420)(Monthly Shonen Champion)

And in a November 29-December 5 period of time it sold in over 90 thousand copies (Claymore was 9th then). So in about two weeks it sold in over 167 thousand copies, it's not bad if you ask me considering that it had just been released then.

In ranking June 28th - July 4th vol. 18th Claymore sold in 100 thousand copies (little more than that), Ranking July 5th – July 11th 82,014 (182 180 including previous week).

In rankings 11/9 - 11/15 17th volume it looked like this:

1. Naruto volume 47 (150,481/932,100)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    2. Angel Heart volume 31 (132,183)(Comic Bunch)
    3. Gintama volume 31 (83,337/348,232)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    4. Bakuman. volume 5 (59,070/277,821)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
    5. Claymore volume 17 (49,572/195,594)(Jump SQ)

Claymore 15th from December 2nd - December 15th sold in 189 023 copies (so worse than vol. 17 in the same amount of time but mind you it's only 2 weeks).

Claymore 16th from April 27th-May 10th in 181,233 copies (again, worse than 17th and worse than 18th).

Can't find rankings for anything earlier than volume 15th but as you can see Claymore sales are rather steady and you can't say that their dropping. In 3 weeks they sell in over 200 000 copies each and overall every volume at over 300 000.

14. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never followed sales or popularity of a certain title. Just bothered to read what interested me. If sales of Claymore do decline (lack of popularity), I take it that the publishers will end the series. If that's the case, does this usually mean "unfinished story line," or does the publisher give the author suffcient time to properly close the Manga?

Honestly, I'm surprised printed monthly mediums have managed to survive. Local news papers in the United States have a difficult time remaining afloat. The majority of the public just opens a web browser to MSN Online or CNN Online to receive updated "world" news. Unless there is something worthy of attention on a local level, the internet based news sites do a pretty good job of dissiminating information (whether it's of quality is another topic). I would think that Manga publishers would have begun selling memberships that would allow patrons to view the material online, while offering the "paper" versions on a limited scale. Would this business model work?

ws
    I don't want to die. Even if that makeshift family was all nothing more than an illusion, doomed to someday fall apart. I so wish, so wish, it could have lasted the tiniest bit longer. - Norihiro Yagi

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

hello guys,

woot just picked up claymore 5 days ago and got to admit its an awesome manga. Just it. Still kinda didnt understand how miria survived. oh and still am crying for bisho no teresa

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

you went from ch 1 to ch 115 in 5 days ? !!! wow... though I can't blame you, I wouldn'tr be able to stop either, hehe

Miria was intentionally NON-fatally damaged by the Claymores, so she "just" had to Heal up and Re-Attach her arm

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    you went from ch 1 to ch 115 in 5 days ? !!! wow... though I can't blame you, I wouldn'tr be able to stop either, hehe

Miria was intentionally NON-fatally damaged by the Claymores, so she "just" had to Heal up and Re-Attach her arm
    yeah I did...somehow after Clare learning Quick sword, i got really into claymore well and after the northern war arc I just fallen in love with it i guess. Yeah I thought thats what happened to miria but wasnt too sure...

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi HK:

Getting a crash course in Claymore is a common phenomenon. Took me two days to get through the first Anime episode because I didn't think much of it at first. Forced myself to sit through it and was hooked.

Nearly fell into tears at the end of certain chapters. Got perplexed by some of the forum member's comments into the difference between the ending of the Anime and the Manga. Decided to track it down and went over one hundred chapters in a span of several days. Was beyond depressed because at the time the Manga ended at Chapter 107.

Read some of the post in regards to the events that occurred. Found out that I missed so much because I went through it so fast. Still find rereading the chapters enjoyable and intriguing. One Blu-Ray set and one Memorabilia Book shipped from Japan, I'm certain I've become a fan.

ws
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; April 22, 2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: nvm

New Reply
Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast