Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Falcor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 135 Discussion / 136 Predictions

Let's face facts: a good portion of those posts on the AS chapter forums were OT, Teresa vs Priscilla (or such) rants and raves. It was fun for awhile, but grew tedious towards the end. It's small wonder the mods decided to retire the anime forum and condense talk down to the single manga thread which, unsurprisingly, is practically dead. The discussions here, on MH, seem to stay more On-Topic. Usually.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shiek927's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
    Let's face facts: a good portion of those posts on the AS chapter forums were OT, Teresa vs Priscilla (or such) rants and raves. It was fun for awhile, but grew tedious towards the end. It's small wonder the mods decided to retire the anime forum and condense talk down to the single manga thread which, unsurprisingly, is practically dead. The discussions here, on MH, seem to stay more On-Topic. Usually.
    .....Falcor....the mods decided to close down AS because they were draconian assholes - they closed it down, because I warned whats-his-face to watch himself and his trigger-happy banning, lest he make himself out as bad as Gooral complained the mods are....and what happens? I get banned in a blink of an eye, and the the entire board shortly after.

I'm not complaining that we no longer have to live with them breathing down our necks, but I never saw the camaraderie and laissez-faire fun as tedious....that place had life in it- it was fun and we all knew eachother closely.....long after the anime was closed, our little sub-forum stayed through thick and thin, with the explosive debates, trouble with the occasional idiot, pictures and gifs....we created memes of our own (the oldest being "GET IN THE CAR!!!") for goodness sake. I said many times before that Claymore itself wasn't even what it was all about...it was simply what drew us there together: the main draw, was simply the friendships with everybody.

I'm not saying this place isn't, or couldn't be, as fun....just that, point blank, what we had was something special -- it's a shame that it all had to end, and I of all people was the catalyst, but well.....

Bah, enough nostalgia, the new chapter is about to come out.
    You know, there are as many ways to live as there are people in this world...and each one deserves a closer look.

3. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Nixl's Avatar
    Country
    Ajman
    Post Thanks / Like

The mods closed down the AS forum because Gooral broke their hearts and hurt their feelings. Called them names and stuff.

Yeah, I like that explanation better. Also not to mention they stir shit up.

To make my post more related: wens ze nex chaptor out!/!?

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brother Coa's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
    The mods closed down the AS forum because Gooral broke their hearts and hurt their feelings. Called them names and stuff.
    Now I would LOVE to see that. I am admin myself and it is very entertaining when you argue with one

Quote Quote:
    wens ze nex chaptor out!/!?
    Tomorow, you have like entire thread committed to it. Stay tuned and we shall see.
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Animesuki drama - closing Claymore subforum

Since people seem to be interested in the AS drama let me sum it up. It all started with this post. I've presented several ideas that could re-animate Claymore sub-forum (so I've basically asked for threads like this and this) but they were considered either uninteresting or against their policy. The second reason I questioned, showing them examples where this policy wasn't being enforced (Saimoe survivor + Treasure Hunter game + games in various sub-forums, e.g. in Gundam thread). As for other ideas I've tried to reason with them but it ended with Solace being hurt and showing that he has the power and that we should be grateful that Claymore forum wasn't closed. Just read all the posts starting from mine.

There was no name calling on my part (although someone has openly laughed at moderators but his post was deleted) but too many people started agreeing with me (some of the posts were deleted without a trace by administrator who suddenly decided to jump in and stop Solace from humiliating himself any further). In the end Solace "lost his face" (you can laugh but it was enough for him to close the forum), several people were banned (most temporarily) and forum got closed. The funny thing is, shortly after the closing, contrary to what Solace said (that people lost interest in Claymore which was official reason for forums closure) next chapters got much more views on Mangahelpers than most previous ones on Animesuki and chapter 126 beat the absolute record with over 100 000 views. And many people from AS did not migrate from AS so I imagine that if AS was still open and moderators would do their jobs (like opening threads on time instead of a week later) it would reach 150k there.

Here's a piece of info that might shed some more light on this matter:

Spoiler show

I was banned after sending that. Draw your own conclusions.

P.S.
    Solace was also the one who needed a lot of convincing to create a Translation thread. My post was the one that finally convinced him but he needed many people and a lot of time (just compare the dates between mine and Solace's post I'm quoting and if you go there you will see that first requests started many years before that) to realize that. BTW, we should copy such a thread here, it could come in handy.
    Last edited by Goral; February 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

I am reading this and I cannot believe it... I cannot believe it how stupid that moderator is. Just...LOL...

Spoiler show

Holy Terra... I am moderator too for one of wh40k Facebook groups ( over 3,000 members ) and I can say this: job of us moderators is not just to enforce the law and protect our members - but also to inspire people and make the group/site more fun and active. This men is an idiot, he don't allow games and manga discussion? I am sorry but aren't anime and manga essentially the same thing the only difference being that one is motion picture while the other is graphic novel? So what if you wanted to start a game or manga thread? Admins should be there to support that, making their site more fun and attracting more members. people don;t go to forums just to discuss and too see new chapters - people are also coming to have some fun, play games, put characters in duels, writing fan fictions, telling jokes and even going into small time flame wars ( all in good nature of course ) - this is such unprofessionalism that no words can't explain the fail.

But this:
    Spoiler show
    this is just massive fail... admins should serve the members, not the other way around... And after he lost every argument his colleague just banned you? LOL...

Yup, a typical case of bad moderation/administration, I mean... I also had problem few times while working as admin but never had I reacted like this guy... You should totally write to other moderator to replace him and to put manga threads too because manga is important too.
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Just declaring my standpoint first. Since I have never been part of this, I probably don't get the hang of the full extent of the situation, and any views I'm about to voice out are subject to bias and misunderstanding. If so please point it out to me.

Now, I've never been a mod for a forum so I'll be speaking as an average forum participant. While I understand very well every mod has their individuality, another way of saying they're people who will speak due to differently motivated mindsets (whether for self or public interest,) forgive me but I'll be targetting a specific group of mods whom the community generally deem 'harsh' and 'dictorial.'

Here's my ignorant understanding of what moderators should be: A member of the forum who has shown and deemed reliable in certain aspects, specifically characteristics that promote enrichment of the community, thus is granted administrative powers to assisting the growth of the forum.

Shown and deemed reliable...: Their posting record has shown excellence in certain aspects, and not only are they trusted to continue to provide no less in the future, they should be regular participants for 1) continual moderating; 2) up-to-date understanding "of the workings of the forum" + "of issues at hand."

Certain aspects/Characteristics that promote...: Depending on the general aim of the forum, this may include sense of logic, sense of justice, vigilance, authoritative tone, favours order, amiability, sociability, desire to help fellow members, ability to provide a casual and easygoing atmosphere, etc. Different forums prioritises a different combination of the above. However, I will be assuming most or all of these in my following discussion.

Assisting the growth...: Again, the aim of the forum determines what 'growth' means to them. And most likely, this 'growth' is related to the above pointer.

Individuality of mods
    Mods aren't machines in diguise of human, and humans could change in various ways, in ways they notice, in ways they don't realise. "Understanding their role" and "understanding of their role" in the community also varies from mod to mod. And forgetting their initial understanding is not an exception to the change. However, let me explain the difference between the above two in quotation marks. Some mods may understand their role given to them, while other mods may have a personal understanding of their role given to them. I would like to focus on the latter as this is seemingly a paradoxical issue that generates a lot of the problems between a normal member of the forum and a member with moderating capabilities granted to their accounts.

Funnily enough, while mods aren't machines in human disguise, there are mods who are in machine disguise. Burying their minds in a self-dug mound called "standards," complying to their sense of "self-absolutism," while rejecting the greater voice of the community, is nothing but authoritarianism. Not only do they deny a well-supported cause in favour of a single person's point of view, reasoned with biases, they also fail to grasp a good understanding of the rest of the members who (surprise surprise!) makes up the community (eg. opening up a thread on time; creating a thread as suggested.) This is a good case of confusing the "need to sound authoritative" and the "act of authoritatirianism," thereby putting off existing members who mostly come from a democratic background.

Just to add, I do believe the need to sound authoritative is necessary in extreme cases, for example, an outright warning to abusive or discriminative members. Should the individual not comply, mods may resort to necessary authority as dictated by forum-rules. However, the need to sound authoritative should not be misused in discussing subjective issues such as, "I personally think this thread is pointless." Any act of authority spawning from a misjudgement or misuse of authoritative language on the moderator's part will mostly likely lead to unfair treatment. Members should be free to discard their pride and apologise, just as members with moderating capabilities to admit their fault. Members are free to discuss what's good and preferable for the community they make up and participate in, just as members with moderating capabilities are free to discuss their support or opposure to an idea for the community they participate in. Members should respect all participants of the forum, just as members with moderating capabilities to respect all participants of the forum. While I don't really agree with straghtforward swearing and insults, constructive arguments based on personal reasoning and self-justification should you feel you have been misunderstood are two major components of free speech. Unlike insults and swearing, I personally believe this is not misusing the rights to speak freely in any way, as the banning seems to suggest.

While I'm on the topic of respect, a mod has written the following:
    Quote Quote:
    Quote Quote:
    Yes, because moderators are so reliable that the thread is created the moment spoilers/chapter is out? And then we have 5 or more pages of discussions which belong to the next chapter thread and twice as that of discussions that would fit as well to 116th and 117th thread (so why not open it earlier). What's more annoying, all of them have spoiler tags which makes discussing "unappealing". I don't know other moderator as reliable as Klashikari who at least took the effort of transferring the posts concerning 117th chapter from 116th thread to 117th thread once he created 117th thread.
    You are not entitled to having a Chapter thread at all. We make them every month, without fail (seriously, when have we ever missed a month?), and this is the attitude you want to throw out? Oh poor you, can't discuss your favorite spoilers in a fresh thread right away, how horrible. Oh no, the posts of spoilers that aren't even right aren't migrated too. Boo hoo. Get over yourself.
    A clear case of authoritarianism vs constructive argument.

While I understand people are different from one to another, certain forum participants are inconveniently given moderating capabilities and hence the opportunity to let out some steam and have a go at being king and

Right I'm gonna stop writing because 136 has come out and damn now that's a major revelation right there.......!!!!!

12. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Raki-chan is loved by so many girls but not by that many boys

Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    Its informal and relates to the 'rules of game' that people such as Roissy/Heartiste talk about if you Google for the words 'alpha', 'beta' and 'game', some definitions are probably on the Urban Dictionary too if you search there.

Basically, alphas have the personality traits women seek in protectors whilst betas have the traits women seek in providers. Raki is therefore a protector and not a provider.

Obviously the words aren't used in 'real' psychological texts, but they reflect evol psych and what people have observed for centuries. Also what women are more likely to find attractive at a given time is affected by ovulation, during which time women become more attracted to alpha traits than usual.

If a girl finds a lad like Raki, he's daddy material because he's an alpha who'd stick around. It's also why girls get crushes on lads with a similar personality like Allen Walker. Though their nonthreatening look could be said to give them a more beta attractiveness as well, its their masculine instincts to protect that are turn on, and not the promise of economic provision lol.

If you want to understand the underlying psychology, this link ought to help. Women don't seek cads as dads, when they sleep with a 'bad boy' they want him to become a Raki or an Allen Walker - protective, masculine and not boring though sure to stick around. There's a reason why girls go for manga males who take part in battles, and not for fictional characters who start their own businesses or something.

Ovulation Leads Women to Perceive Sexy Cads as Good Dads
    Kristina M. Durante et al
    http://business.utsa.edu/faculty/kdu...Investment.pdf

"Women, of course, ideally want the best parts of both types of men in a romantic partner (Buss & Shackelford, 2008; Fletcher, Simpson, Thomas, & Giles, 1999). Thus, many women seek sexy husbands—men who are attractive, charismatic, and dominant, while also being faithful, reliable, and investing fathers (Li, Bailey, Kenrick, & Linsenmeier, 2002). However, because it is difficult to find and secure such an ideal mate, most women must make a trade-off between pursuing long-term relationships with men who are good dads versus short-term relationships with men who are sexy cads (Gangestad et al., 2007; Gangestad & Simpson, 2000; Li et al., 2002)."

Where possible women go for bravery and kindness but if a woman has to choose then bravery wins out when women are most fertile.
    How come this post above was moved? It was on topic for the other thread, if anything its the thread that was OT giving as it relates to the fandom but not the manga or anime itself.

Thanks for pointing it out. Think I've made a mistake without even noticing it, while moving other posts . It's fixed now - Ancy

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I dunno what's going on at AS, but if there's no ongoing Claymore anime why would there be a CM section on Anime Suki at all?

The message there saying the CM section of their forum was retired is dated to 2012-03-02, did they reopen it then close it again or summat?

And if you aren't happy with moderation on other forums do what everyone else does, start your own on ZetaBoards or somewhere. I remember people were starting their own CM forum and portal before then abandoned it, maybe because they overestimated people's interest when people's interest had peaked long ago. Which maybe explains why AS decided to close the section lol.

And Goral, may I ask if your ancestors came from the Carpathians? I'm just curious.
    Last edited by Ancy; February 28, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    (...) And Goral, may I ask if your ancestors came from the Carpathians? I'm just curious.
    I have no idea really (it's quite possible) but I see that you know what the word "góral" means. I live in lowland though.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    I have no idea really (it's quite possible) but I see that you know what the word "góral" means. I live in lowland though.
    Yea, I have interests in physical anthropology and in the Slavs. Gorals tend to look different from their neighbours, so you ought to be able to tell if you are.

So I couldn't help but ask.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Miihoo's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Claymore!

Easily one of my favourite mangas of all time.

I began reading it a few years ago, then lost where I was due to exams. Then, just last year, I reread it all and am currently up to date. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Katea's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

o_o Victoria's Secret.. good one

sig by Yuri ♥

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't have to do anything with "Claymore" except for the sword from witch they are called like that.
    But nevertheless, it's awesome:

-Emperor of Mankind.

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

We will soon be launching Bleach Tournament - Second Edition. We are looking forward for your participation. Here is the LINK to check out whats happening in Bleachverse

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

24th volume will come out in June (and BTW, chapter 138th will be the first one from volume 25).

---------- Post added April 26, 2013 at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was April 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM ----------

It looks like scanlation will be out really soon because of the golden week, someone has Jump SQ already:

Quote Originally Posted by kaze1028 View Post

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast