Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast

Thread: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BleachFan2010's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    It looks like scanlation will be out really soon because of the golden week, someone has Jump SQ already:
    I was wondering whether or not Claymore would be affected by Golden Week, and be out early. Thanks for posting ^^

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

any of you guys interested in playing a ToG themed Mafia game?

if so...follow the link under my sig....

Look around you carefully. Strain your eyes at the darkness around us... At the darkness around me. You said anywhere but here. This is where, here, at the border. Gathered by the winds. Those who have met their final destiny hanging between jealousy and regret. Those who failed, swept together here. You say it doesnt matter where. If you follow me, this is where you'll go. This is your eden.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 142 Discussion / 143 Predictions

@Utsune
    Slightly off-topic, but would you consider changing the poll next time? Because current one sucks (mainly because of words associated with it). You can read more about it here (and later here). I rated it 8 because to me it doesn't go much better than "epic", "over 9000" is silly and "one of the best chapters" doesn't tell me much. Is it one of the 100 best, one of the 50 best, one of the 5 best...? It certainly wasn't one of the 5 best though, since every Teresa chapter was way better IMO and most chapters with Clare until the time-skip (IMO of course). Also, average isn't really average, it's more than that. But maybe me and Ryus are the only ones who prefer other names so it would help to get a feedback on this.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 142 Discussion / 143 Predictions

@Utsune
    Slightly off-topic, but would you consider changing the poll next time? Because current one sucks (mainly because of words associated with it). You can read more about it here (and later here). I rated it 8 because to me it doesn't go much better than "epic", "over 9000" is silly and "one of the best chapters" doesn't tell me much. Is it one of the 100 best, one of the 50 best, one of the 5 best...? It certainly wasn't one of the 5 best though, since every Teresa chapter was way better IMO and most chapters with Clare until the time-skip (IMO of course). Also, average isn't really average, it's more than that. But maybe me and Ryus are the only ones who prefer other names so it would help to get a feedback on this.

Yes Goral, you're quite right. I have actually thought about the problem with the scoring at the moment, the only effective score seems to be 3-8. I figured "Top Five" and "Worst Five" are a bit more pointless than what it is now, because people probably won't count exact the number of chapters in their list of favourites to say "Is this still in top 5 or is this 6th on my list?" So I just gave it a "one of the best/worst chapter" this time round. I have considered swapping the "over 9000" and "one of the top" around, for obvious reasons.

All in all, I do think the poll options at 1,2 and 9,10 definitely will be changed, but I haven't implement all the changes in one go this time because I think the scoring can stay more or less relative to recent previous polls for comparison. Also, I'm thinking of adding a '0' option, with 5 as the new average and this can make the system more 'symmetrical.' However, I'm also aware that the number 0 doesn't really mean anything at all, and if I start from 1-11, we'll never be used to the scale. Or, I could simply omit the "Average" option, and force you guys to choose either something like "6 Above average" or "5 Below average," which would not be very comfortable in a way, but this could eliminate the mindless 'average' votes. (Insight and example courtesy of my bro: Simply put, if you remember doing any online questionnaires/ personality test, and they give you five options for a difficult "rate on a scale 1-5" question, you would most likely choose the middle option which is the mindless and easy choice, but this hardly provides the data they need.)

By the way, I've moved this here to the Hangout, so anyone with any suggestions I'm happy to hear and discuss them here

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

10- Perfection
    9- Epic
    8- Very Good
    7- Good
    6- Bit above average
    5- Average
    4- Bit below average
    3- Bad
    2- Very Bad
    1- Garbage
    0- I'm done with Claymore

How does this sound? I have the tendency to keep 10 options because a wider spread would define the average score more precisely, but I do notice some options are possibly slightly ambiguous.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it sounds very good. 10 options is fine as long as descriptions make sense (and they do in your version). Thanks. One other thing though - make the votes public please. It makes people more honest I would think.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it sounds very good. 10 options is fine as long as descriptions make sense (and they do in your version). Thanks. One other thing though - make the votes public please. It makes people more honest I would think.
    Ah sorry for the late reply, I missed your second line.

I understand the poll options given above are all technically pertaining your 'objective' view of the chapter, but inevitably many will choose to vote subjectively anyway, and there's no opting out of those votes that are cast with a different mindset. With Claymore, it is commonplace where people will find a chapter good or epic simply base on seeing the characters they like, or a character doing some outstanding things (which usually only contributes to a small part of a chapter.) As technically unreasonable as it may be, we have to acknowledge that the poll searches for both objective and subjective votes, since readers who read and consider the manga in a subjective manner may find it difficult to cast an objective vote, while the objective readers may find casting a subjective vote out of their habit.

Which leads to my main point: Subjective votes are a very personal thing. I admit my bias in this matter, although I can be both objective and subject in my opinions on a chapter, I tend to go on the subjective side of things. But for this reason, I understand making the polls public is not a comfortable thing for some. The 'honesty' obtained from public polls will inevitably be the result of people not voting. I do not want to deter people from voting either, as they too have the right to express their opinions in a comfortable environment.

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Also to add, making your vote public does not always necessitate honesty. This will lead to some votes voting a certain score for the sake of 'fitting in' with the average. 'Average' certainly does not equal to honesty.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Also to add, making your vote public does not always necessitate honesty. This will lead to some votes voting a certain score for the sake of 'fitting in' with the average. 'Average' certainly does not equal to honesty.
    Of course it doesn't but still it makes people more honest than otherwise. And in the end what's the harm if it doesn't make much of a difference (people still see the number of votes and an average score so they can fit in too)? I think that if votes were public there would be a less chance of someone voting extremely just for the sake of it. Plus it makes it more fair if everyone (not only moderators) can see it. BTW, who voted 1? Killy- ?

---------- Post added at 05:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

BTW, it seems you've become a moderator because I recommended you ;P.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course it doesn't but still it makes people more honest than otherwise. And in the end what's the harm if it doesn't make much of a difference (people still see the number of votes and an average score so they can fit in too)? I think that if votes were public there would be a less chance of someone voting extremely just for the sake of it. Plus it makes it more fair if everyone (not only moderators) can see it. BTW, who voted 1? Killy- ?

---------- Post added at 05:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

BTW, it seems you've become a moderator because I recommended you ;P.
    Haha thanks for the rec.

Though it would most likely eliminate extremities, I would think a quick judgement can easily exclude these anomalies such as the 1 just now, but votes that are not cast (because of the discomfort) can never be considered. People are not pressured into fitting in with the average if the poll is anonymous.

The most powerful piece of information provided by an anonymous poll is that, the bell curve doesn't lie; the bell curve in a public poll on the other hand is more artificial than the former. If you see where I'm coming from.

EDIT: (9/27)
    About the poll, just in case anyone's wondering: No I can't see hidden results.

I'm willing to bring back the public polls, but if anyone has any input in this, please PM me instead.
    Last edited by Utsune; September 27, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Project Spirit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I don't want to anger anyone by posting in the spoiler thread, I wanted to make a little post on Priscilla here.

I know the general feelings are that she is either boring, overpowered, or both. I respect and understand the opinions of people that feel this way, but I feel the opposite. Ever since she reappeared alongside Raki after the timeskip, I have found her to be the most entertaining character, and as of right now probably my favorite...and that's saying something since Teresa was my insta-fav when she was first introduced.

Now, I agree with her being a bit too powerful, and we all know that no monster in the series will take her down thanks to being attached to Clare as a nemesis. I don't find much of a problem with this because of what she does add to the series. For one thing, she is not have the personality the typical arch nemesis. And another thing, she adds a chaotic factor whenever she is involved. Often, I see that people didn't like how the chapters in the 90s-early 100s went. That was one of my favorite parts in Claymore, simply because of all the chaos caused by Priscilla. I can't think of another series I've seen where a character can just waltz in and kill off many factions(Org's most powerful warriors, Riful and Duph, and even take on the Destroyer)...shutting down so many possibilities. I love that.

But this leads me to also say that I don't really feel her as "main villain" material. I find it hard to read her period. In the anime, her awakened form came out as menacing,and eerily intelligent just as it does when she is introduced in the manga. But at the end of the anime, she seems reduced to some headcase who is nothing more than a cool pet for Isley. In the manga, she has retained her menacing feel by seeming a bit sinister, yet nonchalant. Helping Raki as a reward, going where she pleases and only killing those that disturb her...that's the chaos that I love. But the problem is that we still can't see her intent currently. Her shallow goal of tracking down and killing Clare hardly shows an intent or purpose. And right now, she doesn't even seem to care about that, considering she took the time to fool around with Riful-Doll, and chose to check out what Dae and Rubel were doing. Right now, she just seems like a powerful, curious wanderer.

Now, I believe there is a possible solution to this. I never really liked the idea of the "mainland" continuation, but thinking about the whole "main villain" thing got me thinking. I started to wonder how Priscilla would feel if the Claymore-verse were a bit bigger, had more of a fantasy setting in terms of the dragons, and actually had real villains. I believe that type of setting would be far more suited to Priscilla's wandering chaos feel. Suppose the issue between her and Clare was actually resolved, and both somehow survive. Imagine a mainland having characters that could compete on the level of Priscilla (no more massive power gaps, and let the Ghost's catch up somehow). I think of a place where things are more focused on skills and abilities than power levels. Not only would that make Priscilla always have to fight with skill, but it would make her random factor a bit more entertaining by not being tied to Clare anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.

____
    edit:
    I know the next chapter will be out any time soon, so I could be wrong on this very quickly, but I had another theory.

Rubel might just sell out his Dragon-kin to save his own life. Priscilla, "The Claymore of Destiny," hates yoma more than anyone else. Could this translate to her wanting to destroy the source of Yoma? Perhaps out of anyone, she would want to go to the mainland and battle. Knowing the truth about her past might bring out another warped sense of justice that she had as a Claymore. In exchange for information on the mainland, I could see Rubel being spared, and Priscilla fulfilling the Org's purpose of making a weapon for their side...with the catch of not taking orders from them. Who knows, maybe the mainland's org has method of forcing someone like Priscilla to take orders...I mean, they have been fighting monsters all this time.
    Last edited by Project Spirit; September 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM.

12. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    ~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't discuss disciplinary issues of other members, this subject doesn't belong in Claymore section or any other section. If faintsmile1992 has any complaints about the ban, she can contact me or other admins, such issues are dealt with as fairly as possible.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Project Spirit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

>you think prissy would care about the dragon kin and the war on the mainland? personally i think she dont care about anything(but her papa and her life)

If the mainland theory were to happen, then I would find that a plausible way to use Priscilla. As of right now, no one knows what she cares about. I wish we could get more in her head other than just during her memory attacks. Sometimes she seems like a headcase, other times she acts completely calm and clever. I prefer that Priscilla who takes time to dodge attacks, smiles, and shows personality over the extremely bored nutcase trying to regain memories. I like the Priscilla who taunted Duph before killing Riful for no apparent reason. What I do think, is that if her mentality is actually in check, then her old sense of justice may be warped into something new. Plus the whole "Claymore of Destiny" thing is still getting to me. I suppose that means it doesn't matter that she has awakened or not, she was meant to be a Claymore, and was the best candidate for the experiment. Possibly meant to fulfill the role Claymores were meant to play.

>i have to Disagree with you Prissy is rather boring she has been largely the same through out the story her progress
    I'd say she is more inconsistent than the same. Her role has been the same throughout, but as a character, she is kind of odd and not as defined.

I liked a majority of the antagonists in this series, with the exception of abyssal feeders. Each one had things that made them interesting, and potential plotters that could effect the actual story. Priscilla lacks the plotting, so I can see how being the only real villain around makes her boring to many. I still enjoy her though for the reasons previously mentioned.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Project Spirit Totally dig your method of getting the asakaram involved and yeah I love priscilla's chaotic nature as well, it's why so many people didn't like her actually becoming a main player in the battle for the fate of the island. The chaos of her nature and presense was kind of more menacing when she was an ominous threat lurking behind the scenes.

On another note I think I've figured out the whole yoma transplant/HA thing so bear with me a min. SOOOOOOOOOOO.......We know that the parasite was created by merging organic material from an awakened and unawakened DD. This new life form does not decay quickly and parasitizes the brain of humans turning them into yoma. Now, disregarding what happens to the parasite when the yoma is killed, I think that the body of the parasitized person, the yoma, does not immiediatly decay and is left in the altered mutated state that the parasite brings upon the person. The mutated remains are then placed into another person creating what we all know and love as Claymore.

Also, going by the above point you can explain HA. What if someone who was parasitized happens to have family? Now imagine if the parasitized human turned yoma is killed and has their remains placed into a family member who survived the inevitable massacre that they cause. I remember Dae speaking of the familiarity of flesh. Maybe it's the nostalgic feeling of being near someone you were close to or loved that allows claymores to Half Awaken. Take Deneve for example. What if the yoma that killed her family was not only a member of her family but was the same yoma whose flesh was placed into her? What if similar, if not identical, cases occurred with Miria and Helen.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by thornofcarrion; October 02, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Introduction:

Just wanted to briefly introduce myself. Not sure if this is the best place, but my interest here is mainly Claymore, and well its not really pertinent to any particular discussion so figured maybe the 'Hang-out Thread' was best.

I am a Claymore fanatic! Infact its what really turned me on to anime again. I had friends in college into anime but I just never got into it. A couple years ago, bored with what was on netflix, I decided to give anime a shot again. I watched a couple episodes of a couple series, but that was it for a while. Then one night in summer '11 I had to stay up late to transition myself into a stretch of nightshifts I fired up netflix and randomly picked Claymore (cute girl, armor, and swords... just had to check it out), and that night instantly became one of my most memorable nights of tv. I don't think I got quite half way through it the first night, and after that I liked it so much that I decided instead of watching the rest of it the next time I had a day to kill, I limited myself to just one new episode at a time and really savored it over the rest of the summer. I even saved the final episodes for the night before and morning of a big race I was competing in (and ever since Claymore has been a big inspiration in my races, and I usually have a bunch of the OST tracks on my mp3 player while I'm running them).

I decided to get into the manga (was reluctant at first, just felt weird for a guy like me in my 30's and reading comics), but I just had to continue on with the series by any means, and it was apparent there was probably not going to be a season 2. I did the same very slow progress, not wanting to burn out but keep my love of Claymore going as long as possible. I'd often save reading new chapters for a special occasion, or rewarding myself for something. Almost 2 years now and I'm not completely caught up yet, I'm near the end of book 20 currently. I started collecting memorabilia too and have a good collection going now.

I've watched many other anime, but Claymore is still by far my favorite. Some others good, but most just ok to me. And many uninteresting. I like the more adult oriented ones (although I think Claymore was a teen+ kind of rating maybe?) but I generally dont like most of the anime where all the main characters are kids, or mature ones that just go a bit overboard with fan service. Claymore seems to strike a great balance with beautiful women that are shown respectfully, interesting characters, plots, some language but not to much, blood but not too gory, etc. Something about Claymore just appeals to me like no other show ever has. So many aspects of it I love. I've been on other forums, but Claymore seems to be loosing popularity and fanbase, the discussions are far and few between. So I am really looking forward to a place where Claymore still is alive and talked about! Honestly I've felt like exploding since I've loved the series so much, but havent barely spoken a word of it to anyone.

I'm a pretty busy guy so it will take me a long time to start reading the other threads but I look forward to participating when I can!
    Cheers!
    T~Stew

19. Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. hope to see you around.

I got a Roxanne thread you should give it a read if you like(it seems to be the only place i can talk about her without getting my head bit off-no pun intended)
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member littleangel's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum It's always a nice thing to have new fans here

Quote Quote:
    (was reluctant at first, just felt weird for a guy like me in my 30's and reading comics)
    LOL.. I remember when I started with Claymore I was 13 and now I'm 20.. At that time, many members at animesuki (this is where it all started for me) where like in their early 20s and after 7-8 years I bet most of them are in their late 20s and early 30s.. Although they stopped commenting except for few, but I'm pretty sure they still check the manga every once in a while and they are enjoying (sometimes feeling disappointed from what happens) yet the flame that started the Claymore community looks like it never died in any of them.. So don't look to much into numbers, after all we are all Claymore fans and that's what matters most to all of us.

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast