Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: 78th Academy Awards Night

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

78th Academy Awards Night

Tonight is Oscars night - honoring the best in film for 2005, and hosted by Daily Show host Jon Stewart.

What I'm wondering is if anybody here follows this event. If so, why? (Fashion, etc.) If not, why not?

Even if you don't, you might be interested to know that this is the second consecutive year that the field of major nominees did NOT include a bonafide blockbuster at the U.S. box office, actually, the movies did even worse this year.

Opinions?

Spoiler: By the way, the nominees this year: show

EDIT:
    Spoiler: And the winners are... show

MH's Peacemaker 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Leen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 78th Academy Awards Night

Ang Lee all the way!!!!!!

This event is a really HUGE phenomenon all around the world. Everyone who go to the Academy Awards will come home with something. These stars are going to get goodies bags worth more than 100k US dollar which includes spa, 5 stars hotel stay, botox, HUGO BOSS suit, handphones and so on. Red carpet will be so hot since every single paparazi will come to ask these stars about everything from the wedding to their dress's designer. Also, they are trying to ban the movie "Paradise Now" which tells the story of two young boys who join the suicide bombing groups. As the director had won the Golden Globe award for it, many fear that if this film is listed on the nominees line-up, it might won as well and according to them, it should not win. That's because this film is described as "glorifying terrorism" or something along that lines.

Anyway, I really want Ang Lee to win the best director award. Best picture award should go to Munich or Brokeback Mountain. Ang Lee was nominated last time around for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but of course, he lose. I am sure that this Taiwanese director needs a bit more recognition around the world. He won the Golden Globe so I am rooting for him in this category. :knk

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eileenting88
    Ang Lee all the way!!!!!!
    Anyway, I really want Ang Lee to win the best director award. Best picture award should go to Munich or Brokeback Mountain. Ang Lee was nominated last time around for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but of course, he lose. I am sure that this Taiwanese director needs a bit more recognition around the world. He won the Golden Globe so I am rooting for him in this category. :knk
    You're right! His films are t3h sh1t! I just love them - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was so good!

Ok...Oscar's Night: no, I don't watch that. Somehow I'm not too interested and I'll learn who has one anyways the one way or the other...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. I am madly in love with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Anyway, the final result is out. Here are the winners. Congratulations to all.

Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for letting us know, Leen!

That's why I said I don't have to watch it - I get the results nevertheless....

Spoiler show

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

It's about gay cowboys. ( No joke. )

Even had a love scene. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Next year they'll probably do a movie about gay astronauts, that'll nab some Oscars for sure!

Anyway, it was a fun night - I thought Jon Stewart did a good job hosting the show.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay!!!!!!!! Ang Lee won!!! I am so happy for that. GK is right, Brokeback Mountain is about gay. XD Crash winning the Best Picture award is really a huge surprise, I think.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of that movie - it is said that it's good. Gonna check it out perhaps.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Crash winning surprised everybody I think. But it was the movie my mom wanted most to win. It has a really good cast.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity The Boff's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

"just a recap, threesix mafia 1 oscar.
    Martin Scorsese 0 oscars"

how i laughed and laughed when that happened

New Reply