Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the new captains?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be new captains

@ richo

I dont think hisage's fear of his zanpaktou is taken as "afraid" of his zanpaktou but more respect, and the appreciation that it is a deadly weapon. it ties into his philosophies of walking "the path with the least bloodshed" as for everything I pretty much agree with you other than the dependence of bankai for captainship. bankais are meant to be really rare. the fact that so many people have them this generation is rare. shinji didnt use a bankai on aizen, nor yama ji nor the two sword twins. its possible not every captain has.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Richo's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Umashin View Post
    @ richo

I dont think hisage's fear of his zanpaktou is taken as "afraid" of his zanpaktou but more respect, and the appreciation that it is a deadly weapon. it ties into his philosophies of walking "the path with the least bloodshed" as for everything I pretty much agree with you other than the dependence of bankai for captainship. bankais are meant to be really rare. the fact that so many people have them this generation is rare. shinji didnt use a bankai on aizen, nor yama ji nor the two sword twins. its possible not every captain has.
    Tousen manipulated Hisagi with his path of justice, and hisagi thought that his zanpkatou was designed for killing in the most horrible way. This made him fear and hate his zanpaktou thus he will need to communicate better with his zanpaktou in order to master it.
    to become a captain one needs bankai to be able to take the captain test, the only exception ever known in ss is the kenpachi.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jackk's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Umashin View Post
    as for everything I pretty much agree with you other than the dependence of bankai for captainship. bankais are meant to be really rare. the fact that so many people have them this generation is rare. shinji didnt use a bankai on aizen, nor yama ji nor the two sword twins. its possible not every captain has.
    No, according to Yoruichi:

One must be able to do both shikai and Bankai in order to become a Captain.

In other words, every captain can do Bankai, except for Kenpachi. Kenpachi is the only one in the long history of soul society, who has become a captain without even knowing the name of his soul cutter.

Kenpachi became a captain by killing the previous 11th squad captain in front of 200 or more members of the 11th division, which is the third method of becoming a Captain.

All the other Captains have Bankai.
    Last edited by Jackk; November 12, 2010 at 01:51 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member niblack89's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will be the new captains?

Renji will be a captain when we get back to soul society. Their maybe another person who we don't know. It never stated that a person who entered the Goti has to be a captain.

Recession hit us all hard

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an scenario I would get a laugh from:

New 9th captain: Hey hisagi, WTH?
    hisagi: What do you mean?
    new 9th captain: I noticed every time you fight you are ready to run and hesitate to attack.
    hisagi: yes, I am always read to take half a step back wh....
    New 9th captain: what the fuck? Give me that VC badge, I don't need a woos for a VC, GTF out of here, I need someone who has my back.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be funny to see some hilarious characters to take Captain seats like Hanatarou from the 4th squad. It would be deffinetly Kubo's style.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    This is an scenario I would get a laugh from:

New 9th captain: Hey hisagi, WTH?
    hisagi: What do you mean?
    new 9th captain: I noticed every time you fight you are ready to run and hesitate to attack.
    hisagi: yes, I am always read to take half a step back wh....
    New 9th captain: what the fuck? Give me that VC badge, I don't need a woos for a VC, GTF out of here, I need someone who has my back.
    take half a step back is a clever trick..when the oppentant swings sword of lunges forward they aiming at where you stood so taking a step back gives chance catch them off balance
    it not a wimpy thing to do.

hisagi only hesitatant coz it was his mentor tousen who he thort was his friend n looked out for him after he wounded his eye...not that he a wimp

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member R3D's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Hisagi is afraid of his zanpaktou

Urahara : Whats neccesary in a fight isnt fear , nothing can be born from that .

This coming from the smartest shinigami and a strong one at that .

So if hisagi cant get rid of this fear i dont think he can actually be a captain or even learn bankai .

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member landundersea's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

right now there are people with potential (of the characters we know, that is) but none who can actually be. unless, people like shinji are allowed to return to their posts... then none.

but then again with hitsugaya being a captain, pikachu could make it... dammit and i liked his character during the ss arc, but then he became all big words and no brains (let alone actual battle skills) so, i suppose they could let just about anyone
    ~ No matter how fast Light travels, it finds the Darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it.

~ Joel: Wednesday, do you think someday you might want to get married and have kids?
    Wednesday: No.
    Joel: But what if you met just the right man, who worshiped and adored you, who'd do anything you say, who'd be your devoted slave? Then what would you do?
    Wednesday: I'd pity him.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member union98's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't beat up on Hitsugaya too much...he could still pwn all of the lieutenants with ease and his power is still in it's infancy. It's difficult to say who'd be a new captain. I mean, Renji has a bankai and all, but how powerful is it really...Byakuya stopped without even using his shikai really and Aizen laughed at it...literally. The vizards and ex-captains aren't really big fans of soul society anymore, so it's unlikely they'd come back after 100 + years anyway. It's more likely that they'd bring someone in from outside almost like they did in the Amagai filler....maybe someone from the Shiba clan...who knows. Actually, she'd probably make a great captain...she's strong and scary enough...oh, I'm talking about Kaien Shiba's sister...I can't remember her name.
    =====================================================================
    "I troll...therefore, I am..."

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

There could easily be other captain level people with other duties in SS. Lets just consider Urahara used to be the third seat of yoruichi's squad. I get the impression SS is a very by the book organization. Just because someone is strong does not mean he will get preferential treatment or asked to go beyond his duty for the most part. In that sense, there could have been captain level people who had other responsibilities hence why they did not take part in the past war for example.

Anyways, I stand by my opinion that even the seemingly talented VCs (kira, hisagi and renji mostly) are still worthless fodder compared to any of the actual captains and nowhere near being worthy of the position at least in terms of fighting capacity. Best case scenario for them is that the units with no captain are led by the VCs until people with a measure of strength show up or enough time goes by so that the apparently talented VCs can reach their potential.
    Last edited by kkck; December 07, 2010 at 12:02 PM.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by union98 View Post
    I wouldn't beat up on Hitsugaya too much...he could still pwn all of the lieutenants with ease and his power is still in it's infancy.
    the only reason i, personally, get too critical of him is because i had real expectations from his character. though people could say that during the SS arc he was more or less manipulated by aizen and gin he was one of the few people who observed and analysed the situation correctly and decided to act upon it (not to mention the youngest as ukitake and kyouraku are two of the oldest captains). plus, he did get to show us some skill against gin and it was really interesting considering how both were thought as prodigies in their time at the academy

but, ever since that moment kubo has turned him into one of my least favourite characters ( but then again my favourite character is aizen.... i like psychotic machiavellian characters with a superiority complex who end up having major mental breakdowns and then locked away>>> and yes, it is a subtle hint to azula from avatar as well )

his speech about a captain's role and war... excuse me, that was childish and slightly frustrating; captain or not once you decide or even if forced by the circumstances to enter a fight then that's it. welcome to hell. and i really hate his i-will-protect-hinamori attitude.
    ~ No matter how fast Light travels, it finds the Darkness has always gotten there first and is waiting for it.

~ Joel: Wednesday, do you think someday you might want to get married and have kids?
    Joel: But what if you met just the right man, who worshiped and adored you, who'd do anything you say, who'd be your devoted slave? Then what would you do?

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, in all fairness hitsugaya did defeat harribel by grossly overpowering with his technique. Had it not been for wonderweiss she would have been screwed. Perhaps that is why aizen disposed of her lol. In that sense, I would think hitsugaya is grossly underestimated for the most part. Seriously, had it not been for WW, hitsugaya would have been the only captain who took out a espada without help in FKT (even shunsui took advantage of the distraction rose and love provided).

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member union98's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

kkck agrees with me...two against one, I'm right your wrong...haha...just kidding. But I think Kubo still wants to exemplify to us the fact that Toshiro is still a child (a 50 year old child) but a child nonetheless. So even with all of his book smarts, the prodigy is still prone to emotional fits when the right buttons are pushed. And Aizen is the king of button pushing. Just reading the manga, there were a few times when I wanted to go bankai and pwn (I mean get pwned) by Aizen...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by landundersea View Post
    but, ever since that moment kubo has turned him into one of my least favourite characters ( but then again my favourite character is aizen.... i like psychotic machiavellian characters with a superiority complex who end up having major mental breakdowns and then locked away>>> and yes, it is a subtle hint to azula from avatar as well )
    I hate to admit it, but I actually get this reference...(YES I WATCH AVATAR, I ADMIT)

But I think Gin and Toshiro have many similarities. I just think Gin over the years has realized that emotions (or at least the outwardly display of emotions) can be a burden as a shinigami which is why he's always followed his missions and kept people at somewhat of an arms length. Obviously his mission being to protect Matsumoto and kill Aizen (though why he waited until Deicide is beyond me). But I think Toshiro is on the same path as Gin when it comes to the emotional side of things and he'll probably eventually become more focus and less emotional. But just like Matsumoto kept Gin tethered to reality and the world, I think Hinamori does the same for Toshiro. They keep them grounded and are a constant reminder of their "humanity" for lack of a better term.
    =====================================================================
    "I troll...therefore, I am..."

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by union98 View Post
    the prodigy is still prone to emotional fits when the right buttons are pushed. And Aizen is the king of button pushing. Just reading the manga, there were a few times when I wanted to go bankai and pwn (I mean get pwned) by Aizen...haha..
    no, he is the king of button hammering.... all i am saying is that in my eyes hitsugaya would benefit a lot had they made or kept him as a lieutenant longer. he has a very strong zanpakuto and it seems that there might be something more about hyourinmaru (remember what gin mentioned back then before their fight... and the extra chapter we got revolving around his powers and what it appeared, to me, that he was compatible enough with the spirit in the sword rather than hyourinmaru being an 'extension' of his soul).

he is too immature to stand as a captain right now; look what happened with harribel: he uses a technique he has not mastered only to see that it was broken by a random dude. i am not saying that hitsugaya could have foreseen ww's arrival but what was plan b in case sth happened and plan a failed? (but then again soul society appeared in front of aizen fairly relaxed in terms of strategy.... 'what day we fight aizen? on the 25th duuude, relax, aaample time'). and then he gets all emotional creates an opening in his team's line/ part and everybody gets aizened.

and yes, it was hinamori and yes, ok, fine, he loves her... whatever!!! point is>>> why the hell all these people at the time were so certain they were pwning aizen so easily??? as the latter showed when facing shinji a good, if not the only, way to work your way out of an illusion is to analyse the effects of a current situation as logically as possible. all these captains thought it was possible to go ahead and win like thaaat... why the prodigy kid did not notice that sth was off... as i said the only reason i get so pissed is because i really thought he would be someone like mr. next captain-commander and so far... 0

just forgot to write, protecting sb and lending them strength are not one and the same, and in the end the first option is possibly the worst
    Last edited by landundersea; December 07, 2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: amnesia

Thread Closed
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast