Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 351)

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 351)

Always knew Sasuke had something up his sleeves...!

Hey guys! Long time we've gone without a full GK review huh? Five weeks, yikes! I had planned to do one with Chapter 350 last week, but that one didn't quite meet my expectations of having much to talk about. This one did, so huzzah and here goes. Unfortunately I might have to return to shorter reviews again for a while after this, but we'll see how it goes. Hope ya guys enjoy in the meanwhile!

Thanks to Grrblt for the RAW, Hisshouburaiken for the cool translation, and Des for the scan that I'm using for this (unusually early) review. Be sure to remember to support your favorite translators and scanlators by thanking them. We seem to be getting some new ones lately, and you can keep 'em around that way. Okay, I'm sure you don't want too much of a prelude to this thing, so we'll get right with it.

Looking forward to reading your replies, but keep in mind I might not have the time to answer everything, but I'll try. You should still get your thoughts out there anyway, since there are thousands of us Naruto fans out there who I'm sure will also want to know what YOU think about the chapter! What can it hurt, it's the internet! So don't be shy

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 351: A Man to Man Talk...! * * *

You were staring at my butt, weren't you?

Cover Comments. Well, Karin's almost like a female bunshin of Sasuke here in the way she seemingly carries herself. Too bad her personality is pretty crummy so far... There have been plenty of comments about how she looks too much like Sasuke to be thought to be a suitable romantic interest for him. I actually don't have a problem with that. Although I do think the adage, "opposites attract" ring more true most of the time (and have seen it happen firsthand), it's true that people still fall in love with others who remind them of themselves. It's called narcissism. So I don't see it as a bad thing, but as I said, I'm not too fond of the character at all right now. But I'm not of Sasuke, either, so maybe it shouldn't come as any surprise...

She does still have some promise, though. At least from what Kishimoto wrote on the side - that because she was chosen by Sasuke, that she must have been one of the strongest kunoichi around. Note that it said "strongest," not most "useful." That seems to imply that she DOES have extensive combat experience, and she's not just some hollow "librarian fantasy" Kishimoto just conjured up right on the spot. Wonder if we'll see her in action any time soon, though...

Anyway, not a particularly great cover of Karin, bland composition and an uninspiring pose. I do expect better things of Kishimoto. He must have been feeling lazy, or maybe he doesn't like the character all that much himself - and he only created her because he felt that she was a necessary ingredient to Sasuke's story...?

Yeah, what's a little more blood on my sword...?

1. No Mercy For You, Fool! So Suigetsu obviously isn't a boy scout like Sasuke (never thought I'd say that) in killing an injured, helpless prisoner just because he annoyed him. If he's from the Mist like most of us readers think, this shouldn't really come as any surprise, though.

I mean, if you think about it, eyebrow-less wonder Momochi Zabuza, also of the Mist, was pretty much the same way as a result of his bloody childhood... killing all the graduate Academy students in his class must have been pretty intense, right? So he went on to become a professional assassin.

Granted, that little horrifying local custom was put out of practice later on, but they probably only stopped it because they were losing too many shinobi and the whole idea became rather counterproductive for them (duh, no wonder they weren't the strongest of the Five Lands, they obviously weren't very bright, huh?)

But, anyway, since these islanders even approved of such a gruesome ritual before, the Mist probably don't have any qualms about killing. So far, out of all the Mist we've met, only Haku wasn't that fond of murder, but he was probably the exception to the rule. Suigetsu looks to be much the same as Kisame and Zabuza at this point. In fact, he's pretty damn similar to Kisame, except he's more of a pretty boy.

What interests me is that Suigetsu here is obviously not afraid to defy Sasuke, and this may end up making Sasuke regret taking him along later on. Could make for some interesting drama, to say the least.

I mean, personality conflicts? Dissension within the ranks? Fun, fun.... especially to see how Sasuke manages to keep them all together. I mean, it's not as though Suigetsu HAS to be with Sasuke particularly to accomplish his objectives, right?

Given what we just saw here, he might bail out on Team Sasuke sooner or later if he doesn't feel like working with them will help him meet his goals. In fact, he might be the trickiest one for Sasuke to handle compared to the other two - Karin obviously doesn't need much manipulation to do whatever he tells him to do, and Juugo looks to be likely hanging all his hopes for a cure to his problem on the dark-haired avenger.

So does Suigetsu have such a tough opponent that he can't hope to beat him without anybody else? Hmm.. maybe only if he's seeking to attempt a coup and assassinate the Mizukage, to do the exact same thing Zabuza once tried... now there's a thought to chew on, huhn...? Okay, moving on, now.

Neat! He can do self massages!

2. Lethal Body Parts!? Interesting paradox we've got here with Juugo - he's emotionally out of control right now, and yet he seems to have complete control over his physical body at the same time. We see here that in his "cursed" condition he obviously possesses the ability to shift and alter his body parts into weapons.

Kinda reminiscent of Kimimaro in a way, except he was only able to change his bone structure (though he was able to "bring out" his bones through his flesh).

With Juugo, though, he seems to be more of an all-around metamorph... he must be a real monster when fully activated. Makes you wanna see what he looks like in his CS2 stage, doesn't it! I get the feeling Kishimoto probably has something very cool in mind for his design.

A lot cooler than these rejects we saw Sasuke and Suigetsu mop up the floor with last chapter, anyway.

Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.

3. Fighting Fire with Fire...! Y'know, I think I got my wish, although not in the way I expected.

Last week I said that I hoped that Juugo would put a scare in Sasuke. Now, I don't think Sasuke would do partial CS2 on just anybody - he certainly didn't seem like he needed to against any of the CS2 rejects we saw last chapter - so I think he WAS a little bit caught off guard here.

I hope that was the case anyway. I don't want to see Sasuke rely on his CS2 every time he's in a fight with a tough opponent. In a way, that would be just like how Naruto used to ask the Kyuubi for help every time he was in trouble. Actually, that would be an interesting juxtaposition, though, if it was the case. After all, Naruto's obviously trying to cope without his inner demon these days. Would be ironic if Sasuke was beginning to embrace his own.

Well, the Uchihas ARE known for being copycats..

4. Oh No! Oh Yes! I think Juugo here was disgusted at first at the prospect of facing another "copy" of his cursed self, but then he immediately lit up after he realized Sasuke was tougher than most.

I guess even though he wants to kill somebody in his cursed condition, he's just as eager to be in a battle that promised to be fun. I think most likely he didn't consider many "copies" of himself to be actually strong at all - or maybe he took pity on them for not having as much control over their seals. Goes a long way in saying how powerful he must be, huh?

I actually wouldn't have even considered partial transformation to imply better control over the cursed seal if Juugo hadn't brought it up here. He obviously knows more about the "curse" than anybody else does, though, having been the apparent "father" of the condition.

Another thing that interested me here was also that Juugo had a previous experience, likely a fight, with Kimimaro. Maybe Orochimaru tested his Sound Five by pitting them all against Juugo.

In any case, Juugo didn't seem too displeased at thinking about a previous opponent, so that must mean that either that battle ended in a tie, or he was actually the victor. Or maybe neither, considering his true intentions. Hmm.

Dermatologists would love these guys...!

5. Lookin' Sexy...! Just a quick comment here on Juugo's look, now that we've finally got a clear look at him. I like that he's not such a pretty boy as he first appeared to be in the shadows - we already have enough pretty boys in Sasuke (and Suigetsu to a lesser extent). We need more variety, after all. His hair definitely looks fun to draw. I guess we won't know the fullness of his design until he puts on some clothes that doesn't make him look like a denizen of Alcatraz, though, but I like him so far. I like them all so far in terms of design, actually.

And it was cool as heck, I might add, to see Sasuke and Juugo staring at each other with their faces half-covered with their curse marks, too. Even though Sasuke was trying to be a peacemaker here, you could somewhat tell that he's trying to hold down his own burning desire to rip out Juugo's intensines. At least, that was how I imagined it, anyway.

Geez, that cursed seal might be even more trouble than the Kyuubi! Oh, another thing that popped to mind was what Kabuto said while observing Naruto's battle with his master - that it was more of a battle of monsters than ninja. Same thing here. Is this REALLY a manga about ninjas...? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I think I prefer it this way, anyway, as I like monsters better in the first place, heh.

Look who decided to be a party pooper.

6. Sudden Interference...! Okay, I suppose it was too good to be true at this stage of the story. I can deal with the fact we didn't get to see an extended Sasuke-Juugo battle after all. At least we did get some sword-on-sword action this week, I suppose, so I won't complain. Looks like Kishimoto DID have a good reason to save that stuff after all. And now we know why Suigetsu felt like Zabuza's sword would come in handy against Juugo.

Although Suigetsu, when he fought Juugo before, apparently hadn't encountered him in that cursed state. (So how did he even know? Umm.) Also, I wonder how long back they fought - they both seem so young! Saifi brought up a good point last week; how come Juugo IS so young? I mean, Orochimaru had placed the cursed seal on Anko before he left Konohagakure - and that was quite a while ago. I wouldn't have thought Juugo would even have been born.

I hope that wasn't a continuity blooper by Kishimoto. I'd like to believe that the curse did keep his body young. So maybe he's much older than he looks, like Kakuzu. Anyway, I hope we're due for some flashbacks soon. Hope you don't think it too strange for me to say that, but I want to learn more about these guys' history with each other, that's for sure.

What a lout! Doesn't he know ladies come first?

7. Why Can't We all Just Be Friends...! Wow, just as 'Team Sasuke' is on the verge of becoming a four-man cell, we're already seeing them at each other's throats. Well, no wonder Suigetsu was so loath to be with these two in the first place.

I do like that Kishimoto didn't forget to have Suigetsu say a little something to Karin about the way she tricked him, though. And also, "words don't register with Juugo, you have to use force..." A pretty good way to explain why Juugo didn't even seem to hear what Sasuke was saying and was just lunging at him every second!

Pretty funny in a way to see Sasuke trying to be a "babysitter" of sorts. Well, peacemaker anyway. Unusual situation for him. I'm sure he didn't relish the idea of being with these three if that was the case, so he MUST have supreme confidence in all their abilities to put up with it.

Hilarious, aren't they?

8. Battle Crazed...! Wow, I can't help but think of Kenpachi and Ikkaku from Bleach when I see these guys delightedly laughing as they try to kill each other. If you don't read Bleach, let's just say these guys are enthusiasts when it comes to a little blood-splattering.

I also took some humor out of Sasuke and Karin's different reactions. Sasuke almost seemed distraught while Karin was cheering them on to kill each other.

Guess he didn't find them funny.

9. A Different Approach...! And now we come to the "big scene" of the chapter, Sasuke turning deadly serious and deciding, "well, if asking nicely won't work, I'll just have to scare the crap out of 'em instead." Quite a startling change of tone here, huh? This is where I think Sasuke might be a little messed up - he might want to avoid killing as many people as he likes, but he won't hesitate to outright murder his own comrades. (Maybe that's why he didn't mind working with these guys - he probably already thought that they were all deserving to die in the first place, for past crimes and so on.)

Not saying I didn't like this scene. It was bad-ass - and Sasuke's sudden threat definitely had it desired dramatic effect, not just on Suigetsu and Juugo here - which was believable - but also on the readers, too. I literally felt chilled when I read these words. Since I thought that Kishimoto was trying to completely redeem Sasuke so that we would think that he's completely on the side of good again, this was especially unexpected to see. Very nicely done, even if it was just a bluff.

For the first time in the series, also, we see Sasuke finally do one of Orochimaru's snake no jutsus (whatever you want to call them). Will we be soon seeing Sasuke summon Manda and standing atop his head, now? Also, I guess I stand corrected - I suppose it wasn't Orochimaru's serpentine body after all that allowed him be able to sprout these snakes at will. 'Cause, boy, these snakes here were HUGE. What kind of freaky jutsu is this though, anyway, to be able to conjure snakes out of, I guess, chakra? Weird, in a way. You'd think they'd need rods or staffs, like the "magicians" of ancient Egypt used. I sure hope these snakes aren't coming out of his armpits, 'cause man...

Some people are also comparing Sasuke's face here to Orochimaru's here. Well, initially when I saw the spoiler pics, I have to admit that I thought that it might have been a bit of an overreaction. But now after seeing the double-spread - especially with Sasuke and the snakes, and Suigetsu commenting on his "monstrous killing intent" - I can't help but feel like Kishimoto definitely meant for Sasuke to resemble Orochimaru here... at least a little. (See for yourself.)

Well, having Orochimaru apparently trapped in his soul coupled with the cursed seal might be having an influence on him, after all. Hmm. We'll have to see where this leads to.

P.S. Karin's reaction made me sick, on the other hand. Bleh, enough is enough when it comes to fangirlism. It's pretty obvious now that she IS plumb crazy about Sasuke, which in my opinion just makes her seem less interesting.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I was probably expecting too much there - if there's one serious weakness Kishimoto has in writing at times, it's young female characters. He seems to be better at writing older women (Tsunade and Chiyo-baasma) though, for some reason. He's getting better with Sakura, but he doesn't really do much with Ino, Ten-Ten, Hinata, Temari and the rest anymore. Already he's made Suigetsu and Juugo much more interesting than Karin. That's a shame.

Lock me up and throw away the key!

10. Unwilling Aggressor..!! Found it kinda funny at first that Sasuke and Suigetsu thought at first that the reason Juugo fled was largely due to Sasuke's "killing intent."

Anyway, I was right in guessing Juugo'd be pretty gentle when his mind's back to normal. Cool to be right every now and then, heh. Although we already had hints of that when Karin explained his situation to Suigetsu in a recent chapter, so it really wasn't that hard to figure out, I suppose...

In a way, Juugo's not that far removed from, you know, a werewolf - guy might be a saint and all during the day, but at night, he turns into a foaming killer! Though I guess in this case, the moon won't cause the transformation, so there's the added danger of not knowing when he'll suddenly crack. That's going to be pretty interesting, and force Sasuke, Karin, and Suigetsu to all watch their backs, if they take him along with them. I also wonder if Sasuke will actually end up liking Juugo too, because he wasn't as much of a psycho as his reputation made him out to be. When he's not under the influence of the curse, anyway...

On the other hand, might be Suigetsu instead trying to convince Juugo to enjoy the killing... since he obviously doesn't seem to have a conscience himself.

I suppose I can understand why he came to Orochimaru for a cure, since as one of the three Sennin, he was obviously able to keep him under control and keep him from killing anybody. Even if Orochimaru mistreated him or experimented on him, at least he wouldn't be slaughtering somebody. I'm sort of surprised a kid in his situation didn't just commit suicide though (or maybe he couldn't.)

I bet he had some horrible experiences - probably killed his family, a best friend, a girlfriend or something...? What do you think?

RATING: 5 of 5 - I did enjoy this chapter very much. Had a very good dramatic moment that pretty much made the entire chapter work. I liked the idea of Juugo having a split personality, as well. A few more insights into Suigetsu's persona as well. We were already given hints that this team would have some rocky times, but to see it right off the bat just made reading about them more interesting. How will they actually work with each other, after all? Sasuke's got quite a challenge ahead of him - this is one situation he can't resolve with just his strength.

PREDICTIONS: Probably just Sasuke convincing Juugo that he'd help him find a cure as a trade for his assistance next chapter. The sneak preview of this chapter: "Itachi's Whereabouts" makes me think we could see the Akatsuki as well.

Let's hope so, I want to find out what they thought about losing Hidan and Kakuzu, especially. But we might just be getting Jiraiya's scouting reports on their activity, instead.

Hope next week will be fun again

To sum it up - Sasuke is a scary mofo, huh?
    Got any comments of your own to add? Go ahead!
    Last edited by Gold Knight; April 21, 2007 at 01:57 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity lordHokage's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 351)

GK, It so good to have all of you back in action. I'm too lazy to review your excellent comments at this moment, but hopefully very soon .
    Last edited by lordHokage; April 20, 2007 at 09:11 PM.

You truly deserve the title of Yondaime Hokage

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conan's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 351)

good to have the old ten comments style back, the details were really good, you described sasuke and his team as well, just one comment about juugo's condition, he seems to me more and more like a jinchuriki every time we see him, I mean you mentioned the werewolf thing, but why not compare him to good old kazekage sama, yup, dont you remember gara's transformations at every full moon, I don't know but there is too much resemblance between juugo and other jinchuriki we've seen, compare his cursed seal state with naruto's four tail experience and gara's full moon experience and he's just the same, thats I am thinking there is potential for a friendship here between naruto and juugo, just like there was between naruto and garaa, hope that made sence
    "Fighting was the only thing I was good at,but at least I always fought for what I believed in",Solid Snake and Gray Fox.
    watch some of the worlds best martial artists show their abilities in this thread http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5582

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member bax's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while since I commented anything in your review. Real life and other stuffs here are taking they're toll on me. But never the less, I'm glad the RAW day is practically over and I have some time to spare

Ooohh How I miss commenting on reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight View Post
    She does still have some promise, though. At least from what Kishimoto wrote on the side - that because she was chosen by Sasuke, that she must have been one of the strongest kunoichi around. Note that it said "strongest," not most "useful." That seems to imply that she DOES have extensive combat experience, and she's not just some hollow "librarian fantasy" Kishimoto just conjured up right on the spot. Wonder if we'll see her in action any time soon, though...
    To be honest, my passion for Karin died a bit i nthis chapter. Last chapter it was promising. She seems to have shown us a bit of insight of her powers by easily detecting Juugo was not in the massive group of CS users. But in this chapter, somehow she shown herself nothing more than just a cheerleader for Sasuke. Honestly, that what I thought when I was reading this chapter.

There might be a lot of Karin fans out there, I'm sorry. This is just a personal opinion. Despite all that, I still have high hopes for her though. Well, I can see Sakura pitting against her one day. Hopefully that will become the grand kunoichi battle

Quote Quote:
    But, anyway, since these islanders even approved of such a gruesome ritual before, the Mist probably don't have any qualms about killing. So far, out of all the Mist we've met, only Haku wasn't that fond of murder, but he was probably the exception to the rule. Suigetsu looks to be much the same as Kisame and Zabuza at this point. In fact, he's pretty damn similar to Kisame, except he's more of a pretty boy.
    I guess the original teachings of the swordsmen still run wild inside him I guess. I mean, as far as age goes, I bet he was as old as Haku when he knows Zabuza (remember Kimimaro's encounter with Zabuza in the anime?). And since he looks up to be his idol, I believe he inherited the attitude Zabuza had.

Quote Quote:
    2. Lethal Body Parts!? Interesting paradox we've got here with Juugo - he's emotionally out of control right now, and yet he seems to have complete control over his physical body at the same time. We see here that in his "cursed" condition he obviously possesses the ability to shift and alter his body parts into weapons.
    Juugo definitely the core of CS thingies. What I'm curious about, how long did Oro kept him? I mean, if Kimimaro been with Oro since a little boy, and has became a full grown man during Part 1, then how old is Juugo? Although, he seems to be a bit older than Sasuke, but not that much.

Quote Quote:
    I hope that was the case anyway. I don't want to see Sasuke rely on his CS2 every time he's in a fight with a tough opponent. In a way, that would be just like how Naruto used to ask the Kyuubi for help every time he was in trouble. Actually, that would be an interesting juxtaposition, though, if it was the case. After all, Naruto's obviously trying to cope without his inner demon these days. Would be ironic if Sasuke was beginning to embrace his own.
    Sadly enough GK, I don't think that will happen. Well, as opposed to Naruto who tries to surpress the Kyuubi, Sasuke is shown to use his CS freely without "remorse". Although I admit, that time, he may have to use it because Juugo suddenly lose a screw and go madly charging towards him.

Quote Quote:
    Geez, that cursed seal might be even more trouble than the Kyuubi! Oh, another thing that popped to mind was what Kabuto said while observing Naruto's battle with his master - that it was more of a battle of monsters than ninja. Same thing here. Is this REALLY a manga about ninjas...? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I think I prefer it this way, anyway, as I like monsters better in the first place, heh.
    But we know that CS has its downfall too. Although not shown yet, and we only know the effect of not perfected seal will results in death (as explained by the Sound Four when they went to Knoha to retrieve him), but we still are clueless about the negative effect of the perfected seal.

Well, chakra consuming is not a problem, judging for how long Sasuke was fighting Naruto long ago (he even just got that seal that time ) There must be a downfall of the CS, if not, Oro might wanna use it for himself!

Quote Quote:
    7. Why Can't We all Just Be Friends...! Wow, just as 'Team Sasuke' is on the verge of becoming a four-man cell, we're already seeing them at each other's throats. Well, no wonder Suigetsu was so loath to be with these two in the first place.
    I expected this from the start. This is a group consisting of nuts An avenger, a naked man in a tank, an obsessed girl and then come the dual personality guy >.> For me what kept this team together is either fear/love towards Sasuke or using each other to complete own's goals. I bet on the latter.

Quote Quote:
    P.S. Karin's reaction made me sick, on the other hand. Bleh, enough is enough when it comes to fangirlism. It's pretty obvious now that she IS plumb crazy about Sasuke, which in my opinion just makes her seem less interesting.
    No more to say here ^^

Quote Quote:
    PREDICTIONS: Probably just Sasuke convincing Juugo that he'd help him find a cure as a trade for his assistance next chapter. The sneak preview of this chapter: "Itachi's Whereabouts" makes me think we could see the Akatsuki as well.
    Yeah, I am expecting a few pages of Akatsuki as well. Well, the big topic would be the loss of Hidan/Kakuzu and also Oro.

Somehow, Akatsuki is now living up to it's name I mean S-Rank nins, they are down 4 now (Oro defection aand death of Sasori/Hidan/Kakuzu). Ok, Kakuzu's death might be "noble" because he was up against perhaps the greatest jutsu ever created.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkManSharingan32's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great batch of comments here... as I've come to expect. But I'll just make a few comments of my own upon numbers 6 and 7.

Comment 6:

I wrote up a pretty decent explanation of the ages/timeline in which Juugo could have approached Orochimaru (i'll re-post it here too. lol). But I believe Juugo to be slightly older than Anko, which would put him in his mid-twenties.

His stature is alot bigger when you compare them to both Sasuke and Suigetsu... so that aspect follows my theory, and another clue from this chapter is the way Juugo talks. While in his CS mode he really seemed to be talking down to them, from the point of a superior or older individual... (which is in stark contrast to the almost childish persona he has when his killing intent isn't raging out of control). Anyways, heres the explanation:

Quote Originally Posted by DarkManSharingan32 View Post
    You guys have to remember a few important things...
    Anko is only about three years younger than Kakashi... (she is about 23) and ... she graduated academy at the age of 10 (which means she was placed under Orochimaru at this time). She passed her Chuunin exams at the age of 12... which tells me that she was at least given the cursed seal at about this time.

Since there is no record of anyone older than Anko having the Cursed seal... it is entirely possible that Orochimaru happened to find Juugo when his age was around that of Anko's... (maybe even younger).

At the end of it all... that would make Juugo anywhere from 19-22 years old... and from there his appearance can be tweaked to fit the age... so thats nothing to worry about.

This all goes to say that Kishi has not created a plot hole... at least not an unsolvable one anyways. It all starts with Anko being the one of the first people given the CS though. (Maybe the first to survive it's mini-trial).
    I found out that the databooks don't include the timeskip... so you can place his age from 25-30 years old with this mindset. And with the way Juugo is looking to me... it all still fits.
    ---

As for Comment 7:
    I think Sasuke has gone out of his way to find teammates with characteristics that are almost identical to Team 7. Juugo replaces Kakashi, Suigetsu replaces Naruto, and Karin for Sakura. It's almost comical that Sasuke has painted himself into a grown-up replica of the life he would have back in Konoha... minus all the new cool abilities.

Sasuke has always been babysitting Naruto and Sakura... always been getting them out of tough situations, and the same is true for his rag-tag band of mini-misfits now. lol

Suigetsu holds the team back, physically... which is something Naruto used to be a master at when Team 7 was just getting started.

Karin replaces Sakura for obvious reasons... her smarts and infatuation. It's comical really... Sasuke must really miss that little pink-haired fireball.

And Juugo.. I really think this is going to end up being an influencing force on sasuke later on in the manga. maybe Juugo will get through... where Kakashi couldn't.
    ---

Anyways, great comments man... I just HAD to say something now that they're back in full force. lol

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member arslan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

nice review GK. about sasuke helping Juugo, could it be that sasuke uses evil sealing method on Juugo just like Kakashi used it on him or something. what does everyone think?

"To an organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." Albus Dumbledore

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok Ok Ok,
    I will admit it, openly and before everyone present:
    I WAS WRONG!
    It seems Karin truly is "interested" in Sasuke, no tricks and no hidden intentions, what a bummer.

Anyway, what in impressive chapter, I am beginning to actually like Suigetsu more and more Something about him is just done right. Karin on the other hand...
    Juugo, Juugo is really an interesting character like many have said before me I believe he will become a favorite. only question is; will he die a tragic death like Hakku or will he become a friend like Gaara.

Now about Sasuke's Great moment in this chapter. I think it actually Sorta confirms his previous statements and actions. Here are some that i am referring to:

At the valley of the end, he made a decision to not become like his brother. I guess for him this meant that he would not become a known for killing great amounts of people and he would kill Itachi without fulfilling whatever purpose his bro had for him.

He told Naruto, that he left him alive on a whim and that in the same way, he could kill him now on a whim. I do not think this was necessarily a bluff to throw of old snake eyes. After reading today's chapter I feel more like Sasuke reached a point in his development where he is confident enough of his power so that he does not need to kill to reaffirm himself. Even to the point where any unnecessary kill is beneath him. during that confrontation he would have killed Naruto because it was not out of a need to gain power but rather he knew Naruto well enough that he understood as long as either of them are alive, naruto would keep coming after him. Either that or it would have been a way to send a message to naruto that he could understand: He is wasting Sasuke's time and he should rather work on accomplishing his own goals.

Finally, like he told Oro himself, and i actually covered part of this in my last point, These where not people he wants to kill. In other words they do not merit enough attention from him for him to actually "do them the honor" of ending their lives. But just like he killed Orochimaru and how he is planing to kill Itachi, if you directly stand in his way or knowingly hamper his progress he will not show you any mercy.

One way or another he will have the time of his life just trying to keep his new team from tarnishing this reputation he is trying to build for himself. It seems obvious to me that the driving motivation behind Sasuke is his pride. Think of him like you would of Ulquiorra, if you will, ( since we are already comparing characters from that manga) Every time he fights ichigo he leaves him alive because he is "Just thrash" and "not worth killing". Also if Sasuke kills a bunch of people working his way up to Sasuke that might divert to much attention from him main kill. No doubt he wants to go down in history as the one who killed Itachi, in doing so, avenging his clan. He can't let his followers take that reward from him by senselessly slaughtering everyone they encounter.

I realize that this post did not actually have very much to do with the many topics you covered in your review, but... Actually I cannot think of a good excuse so I hope you do not mind too much. I did very much enjoy reading your comments And I hope you can find some enjoyment from reading my thoughts. Well this is my crazy theory for this week but who knows i might just come up with some more as i read the responses.
    Last edited by kiddo7; April 20, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MadDog's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review GK.

It seems like Suigetsu has no problems defying Sasuke...as long as he's not around to see him do it. The combination of his resentment (of being Sasuke's subordinate) and mischief will definetly have some consequences.

As for the "tough opponent" Suigetsu can't beat without the help of someone else, maybe he's looking to avenge Zabuza by killing the shinobi most responsible for taking him down: Kakashi. This would be a resonable explanation for why he's sticking with Sasuke (as it is inevitable that they would encounter one another) and would make for an interesting plot twist. (I doubt this is likely, however)

In my opinion, Juugo looks like a full grown adult, but with a younger looking face. DarkManSharingan32's estimate of his being 25-30 years old seems about right to me (and would work with the continuity of the storyline).

Besides the snake up the sleeve trick, I definetly agree with you that Sasuke's "peacekeeper" moment had a serious Orochimaru-style vibe to it. The mention of the "unbeleivable murderous intent" reminded me of when we first met Orochimaru in the forest of death and Sasuke's threat harked back to the Sandaime flashback scene (ch. 121) where Orochimaru drops a similar threat to the ANBU who helped uncover his hidden lab. Who knows? It just seemed like he chaneled him there for a second, but in an understated Sasuke sort of a way.

We'll see if Sasuke has much use for the "soft" Juugo. I can definetly see Suigetsu having fun by trying to bring out the other side of Juugo's personality.

As for next week's chapter, I wouldn't mind seeing at least a few pages of Akatsuki mixed in there.

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review, a nice read again, Phil
    But sorry, just a very very short comment from me:

Quote Quote:
    Just a quick comment here on Juugo's look, now that we've finally got a clear look at him. I like that he's not such a pretty boy as he first appeared to be in the shadows - we already have enough pretty boys in Sasuke (and Suigetsu to a lesser extent).
    Thankfully, tastes are different
    I don't feel that Suigetsu looks pretty at all. But Juugo is a sympathic cutie. Funny hair and sweet eyes and a smexy berserker-like personality <333

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 351)

Quote Originally Posted by eni View Post
    Great review, a nice read again, Phil
    But sorry, just a very very short comment from me:

Thankfully, tastes are different
    I don't feel that Suigetsu looks pretty at all. But Juugo is a sympathic cutie. Funny hair and sweet eyes and a smexy berserker-like personality <333

You're in luck then, eni - I've decided on Juugo as being my next drawing piece And I think Kishimoto did intend to draw Suigetsu as a pretty boy - he's thin, has long hair and a fair face after all. Juugo seems to me more ordinary in his facial structure but that doesn't mean I like him any less.

I'm gonna try to reply to everybody now while waiting for my Shippuden 08-09 to finish downloading, lol.

@ Lord Hokage - thanks, awaiting your thoughts

@ conan - yes, I also thought that Juugo might be a potential convert to the Church of Naruto, as well. He does have many resemblances to Gaara. Nobody please kill me for saying this, though, but I'd like a twist, though, in that his story turns out to be a bit more tragic in its ending than Gaara's - but that probably won't be the case.

@ bax - hey dude - glad to see you still being able to discuss Naruto here at least despite your busy schedule, both IRL and as a mod Yeah, looks like we share the same disappointments about Karin... Good thought on Suigetsu being as old as Haku when he first met Zabuza. Hmm. Maybe Zabuza passed over Suigetsu on the same street he was crossing and chose Haku instead, heh...

Hmm, I don't think Juugo will experience any kind of negative effects from CS2 besides losing his normal state of mind. Orochimaru might simply not have wanted to take the risk of using the seal on himself after seeing its effects on others, he might have still considered it an experiment in progress, hence why he was using it on so many people. It's evident that he WAS greatly interested in it, though, so that can only mean he was trying to figure out if it became "safe" to inflict it on himself...

"The greatest jutsu ever created?" Nah, I think ol' Yondy still had a cooler jutsu...

But I think all three Akatsuki went down fighting very hard (not to mention Kakuzu and Hidan actually killed Asuma and probably would have killed the others the first time around if not for Aoba and Raidou's interference, Deidara DID have a large hand in killing Gaara, and Sasori killed Chiyo - she was poisoned and losing her life force even before she resurrected Gaara with the help of Naruto - and nearly killed both Sakura and Kankurou).

Let's not forget, too, they still have Kisame, who did pretty well against Team Gai with only a third of his chakra, and Itachi, who did severely beat Kakashi and Sasuke once before.

So.. with all that, I wouldn't say that they're losing their rep as very tough customers.

@ DMS32 - Hey there =)

The problem with that timeline is that Juugo still wouldn't have been old enough to realize that he needed help and Orochimaru couldn't have known about his condition THAT early, could he?

Way I see it, it would be more feasible if Juugo was in his mid-thirties. It may be that his "condition" preserves his youth all the same, though...

Interesting thoughts on Sasuke picking people that seemed to resemble his old team - I'm not sure that he actually had a full idea of what all their personalities were like before he selected them, though - especially since he had never apparently met Juugo before. He also seemed to be very taken aback by Karin's attention, and I don't think he expected Suigetsu to be so belligerent. In any case, I'd say it's one of life's ironies, not Sasuke's own subconscious, that put him into this type of situation again. xD

@ arslan_tariqch - that would be interesting but the problem with that is I think Sasuke needs Juugo to be in touch with his "psycho side" in order to help him. But maybe he can do a sort of sealing method that he can release at will...

@ kiddo7 - Great thoughts on Sasuke though and I'm beginning to agree with you now after reading this chapter. He might be a boy scout when it comes to fighting these weaker than him, but as far as fighting people who he considers to be strong or on an equal level, they'd better all say their prayers, I guess! Sasuke certainly acted as though Suigetsu and Juugo were powerless against him in that double spread though...

@ MadDog - I like your theory of Suigetsu seeking out Zabuza's killer. That may very well be the case. Well, I hope it is, truthfully - since it means more Kakashi action, heh.

Good way of putting it that Sasuke was "channelling" Orochimaru a bit there. Who knows, that might happen more and more from here on. Well, we all kinda expected him to turn into the next ol' Snake Sennin, anyways.

Thanks all for the comments! Now I'm off to watch Shippuden, then draw Juugo.. lol.
    Last edited by Gold Knight; April 21, 2007 at 05:39 AM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see your reviews again. I won't bother you with long comments, so here we go:

Even though Suigestsu killed that person and disobeyed Sasuke I still think he's more trustworthy than Karin. At least he admits that he isn't Sasuke follower and just using him for his own ambitions (killing the Mizukage wouldn't be bad possibility). I wonder what Sasuke would do when he notices the dead prisoner? I'm sure he will because Kishi loves to make him the best...

Sasuke was pretty strong here, ne? I don't think he actually summoned snakes, it's much more like Orochimaru - his death intent is so strong it feels like a snake is going to bite you anytime. I very much doubt that he would actually summon snakes to kill them. After all, he did have the Sharingan so it could pretty much be a genjutsu. And I was pretty dissapointed in Sugietsus' and Juugo's weakness too :S Let's at least hope CS2 Juugo can give Sasuke a challenge.
    I like your idea about Sasuke choosing his team mates because he thinks they deserve to die. He will probably trash them after killing Itachi, so I'm sure it was just a bluff.

Good point about Juugo probably killing his family as a young boy. Could be pretty much the reason for him to be so scared - much like how Haku started hating himself after he killed the people he loved.

Also, I think Kishimoto is just trying to trick us all by saying that Karin is just another one of those female ninja who are Sasuke Fangirls. I think (or hope) that she got somethign up her sleeves and that she is using them for a reason.

Just for your information GK, Kishi loves ot trick us with his "NEXT: something something". The Itachi's whereabouts are probably after 5 chapters or so, but I do hope as hell we do see Itachi. Would love to se his reaction after knowing Oro got killed by Sasuke. He might want to at last challenge him or maybe he would just give a "..."

Also, youve forgotten a picture in your comments, the one one "self massages"
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member fatboy812000's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

nice reviews as usual, theres not much to say so here goes.

we were wondering how sasuke would keep three pple who dont like each other at all together well wrapping them up in snakes seems to work fine ,he really has his work cut out if he has to keep suigetsu and karin from killing each other and juugo well, from killing everybody but hes showing hes stronger than them all so lets see how that pans out,im a pessimist so i never expected sasuke to reform, after gutting itachi maybe but now no chance and as for suigetsu i automatically assumed he was mist since he once called zabuza "sempai"and i thought zabuza killed the students in the year above him anyway it seems that all of team sasuke apart from maybe juugo have alterior motives for joining sasuke and however you look at it u know this cant end well ,i think ur right about the promise for a cure so juugo joins but bear in mind that there are 2 sides to juugo he could likewise promise the psycho personality an "all u can kill buffet" and probably get the same result but thats just me thinking .cant wait to see akatsuki and i totally agree with bax when he said for s-rank nins theyve been getting their asses kicked abit too often though ive enjoyed watching i well thought they would be harder to kill.
    Anyway i cant wait for next week too and keep up the reviews ,l8r.
    a dogs wags its tail cos its smarter than its tail if the tail was smarter IT would wag the dog!!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ANBU4U's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sauskes Image in comparison to Oro's seemed alot more regretfull to me. Almost reluctant.

Oro looked like he was furious ready to strike. While Sauske looked annoyed and prepared to strike....despite his words you didnt sense any imminant attack....

Like the difference between a guy claiming he's gonna kick ur ass while walking out of a bar and a guy yelling it in your face with his fist balled.

Which is all the more confusing/impressive seeing as how Sauske was indeed halfway through an attack at the time.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity lordHokage's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 351)

Now that CS2 flashy boy aka Sasuke is an unofficial jinchuuriki, what are his side effects and how would it influence his personality also I think in time Sasuke would be a lot more sympathetic to Naruto

It wouldn’t surprise be if Juugo background were similar to Naruto and Gaara

As for Suigetsu, Karin and Juugo it remains to be seen just how far they are willing to help Sasuke before war breaks out within the group

Next chapter should be interesting. I enjoy your comments, it was very entertaining, and you did really well

You truly deserve the title of Yondaime Hokage

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibra87 View Post
    Just for your information GK, Kishi loves ot trick us with his "NEXT: something something". The Itachi's whereabouts are probably after 5 chapters or so, but I do hope as hell we do see Itachi. Would love to se his reaction after knowing Oro got killed by Sasuke. He might want to at last challenge him or maybe he would just give a "..."
    I know all too well about that, but lately he's been kind of better on that.

Quote Quote:
    Also, youve forgotten a picture in your comments, the one one "self massages"
    I didn't forget, it was just Imageshack screwing around with me again. Added, though.

I'll come back and reply more, was just stopping by here for a moment to fix the pic.

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast