Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ancient Civilizations Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member amar_kun's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ancient Civilizations Thread

does anyone study the dark age? because i've been to a seminar which talked about the so-called dark age of the world.. it seems that latest discovery from the historians shows that while the western civillization are undergoing dark ages, there is another civillization is achieving golden age at that time. however the fact kinda got kept secret for some political purposes.. however many leading historians nowadays is working hard to uncover the hidden civillization which is kept secret for the past centuries by our previous historian..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TechnoMagus's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

well while western europe was "struggling in the dark", the torch was very bright in the byzantine empire, china, the americas and the arab world was poised to become the brightest of them all at his time period....

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member the_hellbringer's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe nobody is speaking about the Incas.

It was a very big ancient civilizzation, tath arose from the highlands of Peru in 13th century. They conquered almost every south america.
    The Tawantinsuyo (tawa=four suyo=region), wich was the name of the Incas Empire included part of the territory of what is now Clombia, Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia, Argentina and of course, Peru.
    The apital of the Tawantinsuyo was in Peru, in a city called Cusco, qich means bellybutton.. because for the Icas, Cuzco was the center of the world.

Notice that I've written Cusco and Cuzco. That's because the Incas language, the Qechua, doesn't have writing, so nowadays, the people write it just like the words sounds.

They considered themselves as sons of the sun and they worshiped verything in the nature, so the lived in peace with the nature and with each other.

They were a peacefull society and they only had 3 rules. Ama sua, Ama quella, Ama Llulla. Don't be a thief, don't be a lier and don't be idle.
    Everybody had to work for the Inca, but also for themselves and for their comunity. There where no money, you paid thing with other things or with work.

ne of the most impresive things about the Incas is their knowledge of engineering and their building abilities. They didn't know the wheel, but they carried really big stones for great distances. And they build great constructions without using any kind of cement.

Here's an example.

Here's one of the big rocks of Saccsayhuaman... it goes 3 meters below the ground
    Spoiler show

This is a part of the wall of the fortress of Saccsayhuaman
    Spoiler show

Their constructions where antiseismical. They used trapezoidal architecture so the walls wouldn't fall. Teir architecture was so much better than the architecture that the conquistadors brought with them.
    An example of taht is in the Qoricancha, wich was one of the biggest temples and it was dedicated to the Inti, the sun. Qori means gold and cancha means patio. Tat was beacause the walls were covered with gold, because gold represented the sun.
    When the spanish came to Peru and brought the christianism, they build churches ontop of the temples to impose their religion.
    The Santo Domingo (saint dominic) church was build on top of the Qoricancha, but their was a big earthquake on 1650 and then again in 1950 and the curch fell down... but the remanins of the Qoricancha stood still.

An example of the Incas architecture in the Qoricancha
    Spoiler show

A contrast between the colonial architecture of the Santo Domingo church and the Incas architecture of the Qoricancha
    Spoiler show

One of their biggest citadels was Machu Picchu, it is 1.5km x 1km and it was a sacred citadel dedicated for their religion. It is ontop of the Machu Picchu mountain in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. For unknown reasons the construction of this citadel was never finised. One theory is that a lightning struck the city.. that was a message of their gods to abbandon the city because it wasn't safe anymore.
    The conquistadors never foud this city. It was found in 1911 by Hiram Bigham. Wel.. he really showed it to the world.. teh city was never lost. Their were people living in it when Hiram Bigham arrivedm and he payed them to show him the city and shut up.

This city was sacred for a reason. I was near de sky... near to their gods. And they prayed their so their gods can listen. There's a room with two stones with a hollow in the middle, like a biiiig stone contact lens case XD... they used to fill those with water so they can used them to look at the sky. Those stones whre water mirros. It was a sin to look directly into the sky, since the sun was a god (that explains why it hurts to look at the sun)
    There's also a circular room with a window, and in the winter solstice the sun rise up between a gate in a nearby mountain and the light enters te circular room through that small window. That prooves that the Incas were also great astronomers.

This is Machu Picchu, and in the background is Huaynapicchu mountain
    Spoiler show

Thsi is Machu Picchu seen from the top of the Huaynapicchu (there's a very difficult path to the top)
    Spoiler show

A panoramical view from inside of Machu Picchu
    Spoiler show

his is the fortress of Saccsayhuaman
    Spoiler show

This is the fortress of Pisac
    Spoiler show

And now some free publicity.....

Pease... vote for Machu Picchu to be one of the new 7 wonders of the world.
    You can do it by clicking the imagen...

He has resurrected!!
    And now with more CORN!!

Go, Dancing Jesus!!

Don't look this spoiler. It's empty. Don't open it!

Spoiler show

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for the explanation, Raul!
    I'm very interested in the antiseismical construction and the trapezoid stones, how did they ever came up with the idea to make such construction. Awesome!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member the_hellbringer's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only the stones. Everything was trapezoidal... the rooms, the doors, the windows.
    It's like in the key stone of an arc. All the force and weigth goes down straight to the ground and the construction stand still.
    I'm not a physicist or an architech so I can't explain exactly how does it work.

The great part is that they did't have computers, calculators, power tools, kwoledge of the wheel, big and strong animals for work (the biggest animal in their is a Llama)... they only had rocks, more rocks, tools made of rock, wood, some metals, an abacus made of wool with knots to represent numbers (it was called Quipu) and their own hands.

I would like to see that somebody trying tou build a thing like that using only those thing today.
    He has resurrected!!
    And now with more CORN!!

Go, Dancing Jesus!!

Don't look this spoiler. It's empty. Don't open it!

Spoiler show

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool post, hellbringer, thanks for that. I really should get to reading my Aztec/Inca art history book sometimes (a friend gave it to me for free, at the time we thought that I would have had to take a course on it XD ).

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of interest about Aztec/Inca/Mayan civilizations. A lot myths concerning the Mayans, as well.

Moderator message by: Charlie
    Thread re opened - you can post here again.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmi am more interested in scandanevian ie viking culture their day to day chores... and on Poetic Edda
    say do we have a mythological thread?
    i would love to discuss the Ragnarök
    Last edited by shaheer; November 09, 2010 at 03:32 AM.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    hmmi am more interested in scandanevian ie viking culture their day to day chores... and on Poetic Edda
    say do we have a mythological thread?
    i would love to discuss the Ragnarök
    There is, I re opened it now. So go here for the Mythology thread.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I've watched a certain documentary about the Incas and Mayan civilizations on National Geographic Channel or Discovery Channel. I forgot which between the two.

Anyway, I agree with GoldKnight that religion (gods and goddesses) played a significant role in forming those early civilizations. However during those times (every year, if I am not wrong in recalling), they offer human sacrifices so that their gods will shower them with abundance in their crops.

What happens to the human chosen for sacrifice? They outwardly plunge/stab/smash a sharpened rock deep in the solar plexus, cut open their chest, and then grab the still-beating heart out and raise it to the heavens. Afterwards, the priest assigned for this job flays the "entire" human skin out of the victim. The priest wears that freshly cut human skin still dripping with blood and then shows it in front of a cheering audience.

Also, ancient India had its share on human sacrifices. They called it as suttee. Suttee was the illegal act of burning a woman, who lost his husband, alive. Why was suttee performed during those early times? A woman who had lost her husband must sacrifice herself to the gods so that she herself reincarnates (?) to be a new goddess herself.
    How was suttee performed? The body of the dead husband is to placed on top of a heap of sticks. Once the eulogy for the dead has been said by their priest, the woman follows to sit beside her laying husband, and waits as the men lights the fire and completely burns the woman alive.

I guess, with all these told, ancient history has a lot of dark secrets to tell us aside from their contributions in present civilizations. We can then justify that certain inhuman acts were already present during those times.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

So recently I saw this documentary / presentation from Project Avalon.
    The video covers a range of topics dealing with ancient civilizations and what they have left behind.

The presentation is 46 minutes long audio file with slide shows.
    • Klaus Dona - from Project Avalon
    • Watch it here.
    • Hour and thrity mintues Long presentation from Project Camelot with same speaker.
    • Watch it here (This came first, the 46 minute link above is a follow up).
    Last edited by Charlie; May 17, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bohemia22's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

It's such a shame that Cortéz and co. literally wiped out all of those marvelous civilizations in South Ameica. Their philosophy, especially the Toltecan and Incan is what intrigues me the most. Had they somehow maintained peaceful contacts with Europe, the society we have here now could be a lot more different in a better way.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3