Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Gintama

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gintama

On ep.260
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaduge
    great how they don't drag this like other shonen, instead they give it their all to make few but excellent episodes, they didn't even put a cliffhanger that's just how badass the gintama anime staff is, they don't need to resort to that shit
    ^ This. +10000000

Quote Originally Posted by Shaduge
    This is perhaps the first arc where Gintoki actually killed another human being. He actually slashed a number of Naraku corps and then took out Oboro. I cannot see Oboro surviving that!
    Possibly yeah. In Four Devas arc he killed Amanto not humans so you're probably right. Of course he must have killed some traitors during the war but we've never seen it.

BTW, I'm not surprised that he killed someone who tried and kill his beloved Tsukky :].

On a different note, on the biggest Polish Gintama forum (although in the 392nd chapter thread) one of the female users had come up with (IMO) a better way of removing poison from Gintoki. She suggested that Tsukuyo could suck it along with the blood. Now that would be a sight I would like to see . She has also noticed where exactly Tsukuyo grabbed Gintoki. This arc shows that Tsukuyo x Gintoki pair is canon.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner poncho1's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I can surely say that Sunrise did a marvellous job with this great arc. Everything seemed appropriate animation, pacing, the overall feeling,... it's really among the best arcs of Gintama.

Oh yeah here are the covers from the singles (op & ed)

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, amazing arc!

And I agree that this arc really makes me a fan of Gintoki X Tsukuyo
    Especially when he gets shot and she rush towards him!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

That was beyond awesome. I couldn't stop laughing while Nobume was thrown around... x'D

And the fight was so bad ass I can't describe it

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gintama Anime Discussion

great anime so.far, im on episode 7 and i am thoroughly enjoying it

im.surprised this anime isnt amongst the big names, the story and characters are awesome so.far

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gintama is a huge name. Gintama seasons account for three of the six highest rated anime at My Anime List. http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Gintama is a huge name.(...)
    "Huge" is an exaggeration. And being high ranked on MAL doesn't mean that much either.

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still thinking that Gintama anime is a huge franchise even though we do not use MAL's popularity polls as measurement. I posted here a month ago, Gintama sales combined (Gintama, Gintama', and Gintama Ensouchen - which is still airing) surpasses any other JUMP series Anime adaptation. If that's not a sign of huge popularity, then I don't know what it is.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

On episode 260 - the battle is intense, I felt how intense it was when I read the Manga, but the animated battles are always fun and better. Good episode, and next week it's going to be a closure for this amazing arc.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That information about sales is very interesting, and I love to hear that it's successful because lord knows it deserves it. But I don't think sales are necessarily what Kisame Hoshigaki mean when he said "Big Names"

When people talk about anime they don't talk about Gintama nearly as much as other series, especially in the United States. Maybe that's because it usually isn't as flashy as Bleach, Naruto, or One Peace; or maybe it's a little harder to understand. Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem to me to have gained as much prominence of many of the other long running anime series. Which is odd because, frankly, I think it's way better than all of them.

I mean, just think about this forum. Gintama doesn't have a section. There only seems to be about a dozen or so of us that really discuss it.(fanatical in our devotion though we may be)
    Last edited by Jammin; February 04, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    That information about sales is very interesting, and I love to hear that it's successful because lord knows it deserves it. But I don't think sales are necessarily what Kisame Hoshigaki mean when he said "Big Names"

When people talk about anime they don't talk about Gintama nearly as much as other series, especially in the United States. Maybe that's because it usually isn't as flashy as Bleach, Naruto, or One Peace; or maybe it's a little harder to understand. Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem to me to have gained as much prominence of many of the other long running anime series. Which is odd because, frankly, I think it's way better than all of them.

I mean, just think about this forum. Gintama doesn't have a section. There only seems to be about a dozen or so of us that really discuss it.(fanatical in our devotion though we may be)
    Hm, I tend to use empirical approach when I declare something is popular or not - statistics, sales numbers, popularity polls - rather than vague measurement like "whether people talk about Gintama as often as Naruto or not". I agree in some cases popularity can be represented by how many people are talking about it, but on the other hand many popular series on the internet are not much being talked outside online message boards; I'm experiencing about this myself. Only extremely popular series - big 3, Hunter X Hunter - tend to be discussed, somehow.

Ah, if we're talking about this forum, then I could agree. People are more interested in Gintama Anime rather than its Manga after all, due to its giant wall of text.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Hm, I tend to use empirical approach when I declare something is popular or not - statistics, sales numbers, popularity polls - rather than vague measurement like "whether people talk about Gintama as often as Naruto or not". I agree in some cases popularity can be represented by how many people are talking about it, but on the other hand many popular series on the internet are not much being talked outside online message boards; I'm experiencing about this myself. Only extremely popular series - big 3, Hunter X Hunter - tend to be discussed, somehow.

Ah, if we're talking about this forum, then I could agree. People are more interested in Gintama Anime rather than its Manga after all, due to its giant wall of text.
    The empirical approach doesn't mean much when your not measuring the same thing. That's my point with the sales data. I find it very interesting, and I didn't know much of it, but I think it's also somewhat beside the point.

If you want something you can measure. Compare the Gintama anime forum with any of the other forums for the long running anime series. I mean, the Fairy Tail anime has been around for half long and there is twice as much activity in it's anime thread. In my experience, that's pretty much par for the course. And unless I'm mistaken that's really what Kisame was talking about.
    Last edited by Jammin; February 04, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

The empirical approach doesn't mean much when your not measuring the same thing. That's my point with the sales data. I find it very interesting, and I didn't know much of it, but I think it's also somewhat beside the point.

If you want something you can measure. Compare the Gintama anime forum with any of the other forums for the long running series. I mean, the Fairy Tail anime has been around for half long and there is twice as much activity in it's anime thread. In my experience, that's pretty much par for the course. Why is that?
    To be honest I'm still not sure when Kisame said "Gintama isn't among big names". The questions arised would be: Gintama isn't popular, but in where, and to what standards? is it in this forum? or is it based on what he saw from various places, in real life or on the internet? I argued because from what I've seen, Gintama is popular - one could say it's not extremely popular, but saying it isn't among big names can be misleading. That's also the reason why I gleaned my conclusion from MAL or sales data, since it might proves different perspective and measurements on what could determine popularity.

Like I wrote in my previous post, I'm completely agree that Gintama is unpopular if we're restricting our scope of Gintama's popularity to this forum alone. I'm doubting myself in this case, but I believe that's because FT has its own section - hell, even a recently popular Manga like Magi has more pages in its Anime discussion thread.

P.S. I'm sorry if this discussion is off topic.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    "Huge" is an exaggeration. And being high ranked on MAL doesn't mean that much either.
    Somebody missed their nap today

Can you back your statement up, in any way? It should be painfully obvious, even for someone as contrary as you, that Gintama has a very large following around the internet. A little exposure to anime fandom outside of MH would easily prove that Gintama is one of the most popular recent anime. Unlike you, I can not claim a Masters Thesis in anime and manga. I just know what I know. And I know what is obvious. I am not even a fan of the damn show, I've never even watched it. It's obvious to me though, that Gintama is not some under appreciated buried treasure, but one of the most popular recent anime.

I beg to differ about MAL. While I clearly lack your knowledge of Advanced Manga and Anime studies, I do know basic math. The first season of Gintama was rated at MAL by 95,439 people. That should be a statistically significant portion of the population, enough to invest meaning into their survey. That would be more voters than take part in the Presidential polls taken before elections, and from a smaller population pool. MAL is a high enough traffic site, and enough voters fill in their rankings survey, that we can properly infer popularity based on these polls. This is fairly basic statistics, basic Freshman level math.

Mangahelpers is a poor indicator of overall popularity. Fandom here is very heavily skewed towards a small number of long running action manga. We also seem to have very few anime fans. Anime fandom is skewed, unnaturally, towards adaptions of the manga that are most popular here. The popularity of One Piece and Naruto's anime here is disproportionately greater than it should be, based more on the taste of our members than overall popularity around the internet. Or in Japan. Chuunibyou, for example, was extremely popular in Japan. Not only selling a lot of blu-ray, but placing near the top of virtually every recent Japanese fan poll, usually in the top five. Yet here, only a few of us discussed the series. If Gintama seems less popular, it is us, not the show. It is more popular once you leave MH. Google 'Gintama Livejournal' to get an idea of how dedicated a fandom it has. I will note that the anime is far more popular than manga, at least online.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

@Doraku, Kaiten
    So Gintama is a huge franchise because DVDs sell well (but not great)? I disagree. Firstly, while One Piece or other shitty shounens have worse sales per DVD they also have many fillers in them so people are buying a watery product. To see favourite arcs animated they need to buy 10 DVDs instead of 1 as in Gintama's case. Gintama on the other hand is 100% pure, no fillers (well almost) and no prolonging just to fill another DVD (in One Piece/Naruto/Bleach they talk before, during and after the fight, they name every technique, get knocked down 100 times and there are often commentators explaining some things and as a result a fight that should be 5 minutes long is prolonged to 5 episodes). So it's no wonder that it sells well, people don't have to buy 100 DVDs to reach the end after all. But I don't see the point of combining sales of different series, compare them to Fate/Zero + Fate/Zero 2 + Fate/Stay Night or to all Initial D series and you will see what I mean.

Or compare it to only a fraction of One Piece: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-yen-in-1-week
    Gintama movie sales are pathetic compared to this. BTW, compare the number of movies of the most popular Jump titles (BleNarOne) or games or figurines or manga sales (which BTW in USA were so pathetic that Viz cancelled it) or...

As for it's popularity on forums, it's not some "vague measurement". It's also statistics and as it happens it's this hugely popular only on MAL (Yorozuya club has the biggest number of members among all MAL clubs). Anidb, ANN and other sites have it maybe in top 100 but that's it. There aren't many forums out there either (I know only Yorozuya soul and even that forum is little) while there are hundreds of big Naruto/One Piece/Bleach forums/sites. Hence it's not a "huge" name, especially for a Jump title. Heck, even Magi has a bigger fanbase than Gintama.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Gintama was rated at MAL by 95,439 people. That should be a statistically significant portion of the population, enough to invest meaning into their survey.
    lol

One Piece was rated by 140,464 "people" (let's assume that no bots, double accounts or other devices were used here) and it's ranked 45th (26th in popularity). Can you tell by these numbers that it's the biggest title of all?

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

The easiest way to see that Gintama isn't that popular is using Google.
    Last edited by Goral; February 04, 2013 at 11:28 AM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow I think you read my opinion with great hostility but little care

Okay, first of all, what I was trying to say by stacking up Gintama's video sales is that it sold well enough to be considered "popular". It's still a parallel storyline, so why not? You are very welcomed to add Fate Franchise or Initial D the way you proposed; I believe that has no connection with this discussion and I don't mind if both of those series sold better than Gintama. I'd admit it.

Even if I'm counting the video sales the way you want it, Gintama is still ranked 2nd among JUMP series, losing only to Kuroko no Basket by 4.000 margin. Is that not a sign of popularity? I don't think so. Just because Gintama is not ranked within the Top 10 or 20 within that list - or any other list - doesn't mean it's automatically unpopular. I doubt I'm entirely understand what you were trying to insinuate by making comparison to One Piece dvd sales, so I won't bother to give my arguments on that one.

The most perplexing thing for me is: Why you always compare Gintama to extremely popular series? One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach - that way, you're setting the threshold of being popular is too high, something I wouldn't dare to do. Obviously it is a common knowledge that those three series have been exist longer than Gintama by years, and additionally one could argue that their Manga sold better than Gintama hence the popularity. It's a good thing that you, or us, wanting Gintama reaching the pinnacle of popularity from bazillion of other Anime, but somehow that would be extremely difficult, and a far-fetched idea at best.

Yes, I still insist that judging popularity by the numbers of the community existed among the netizen is a vague measurement. You do know that it's possible that many people who actually watch the show don't bother to post their thoughts in message boards, right? MAL ranks is enough to depict it, unfortunately you vehemently disagree on that one.

I believe the crux of this discussion is that we fail to see a common ground on what kind of measurement that Gintama can be considered popular. One side argue that Gintama isn't popular because the fans are consist only small numbers of community (but very dedicated, I think). While on the other hand I personally believe that numbers proven otherwise. This is going to be my last post on this matter, I rest my case here since I believe this discussion is moving nowhere. I keep my stance firm; Gintama is popular, and we have the freedom to believe what we want to believe.

New Reply
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast