Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons for and against Brook joining the crew

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Reasons for and against Brook joining the crew

Since everyone and their mothers are arguing about whether Brook will join the crew, I thought I'd compile those arguments for and against Brook joining the crew.

Maybe this will help us make up our minds.

This will be made up with help of the community's posts from various threads (and also a few of my own) to get an understanding of what everyone else is thinking.

Reasons for Brook to join the crew (these are logical reasons that are appropriate for the story with no bias):

- He's a musician. As Luffy has said throughout the entire series, he wants a musician in
    his crew.

- Luffy has already asked him to join his crew. Brook refuses because he is unable to go
    into direct sunlight. It would seem that if that weren't the case, he would join.
    Remember, once Luffy decides on something, he gets it.

- He blends in perfectly with the rest of the freakshow crew. Let's see, they have a cyborg,
    a reindeer, a woman who can grow more limbs, a captain made of rubber?? Why not
    throw a skeleton in the mix?

- He's a skilled fighter.

- He is a pervert. This gives Oda the option of a run-on gag with Sanji getting angry at
    Brook whenever he does/says something perverted to Nami or Robin. Would be amusing.

- He does not have a goal that conflicts with any of the crew members' goals.

Reasons against Brook joining the crew:

- He is also a swordsman. A lot of people have been arguing this saying that it doesn't
    matter. This is merely one of the possible reasons why he shouldn't join. The two
    swordsmen will make each other less unique. This one reason can outweigh many of the
    "for" reasons.

- It will too predictable if he does join. Oda is all for unpredictability as we've seen.
    E.g. Franky joining the crew, nobody could forsee that, everyone even hated him.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by sahugani
    Luffy has wanted a musician for so long, but its just one of those baseless wishes that never actually get granted till the end if at all. In that light, Oda would not seriously give in to Luffy as it would effectively kill the possibility of Oda bringing that joke back later on. plus, the problem with having a nakama whose actual job is musician is that it would not be very noticable in the manga format.
    -
    1. The crew just got Franky, whose recruitment took so much development that a quick recruitment directly afterwards would somewhat cheapen the meaning of Franky joining
    2. Each time a member of the crew has been recruited, there was a specific need in the story beforehand set by the crew’s need for a specific job or the necessity for a character type in the story. Luffy (main character), Zoro (Luffy needed a serious character to contrast him), Nami (needed a navigator to actually get to new locations and an authoritative brain), Usopp (needed a strong and consistent comic relief), Sanji (needed a cook and a womanizer), Chopper (needed a doctor and an innocent kid), Robin (needed a woman to fill the hole Vivi left), Franky (needed a shipwright and an over the top character)...there is no reason for Brooke to join
    3. Unlike Chopper and Franky, who can go about town without attracting too much attention, Brooke would cause a huge stir no matter where he went so it would get repetitive for the same events to occur at every island they come to

I think this is all I can dig up from the forum and my head lol. Please if anyone thinks of anything to add to this, that'll be awesome. I've probably missed a lot of stuff ><

Moderator message by: Luckas
    Thread re-opened.

Moderator message by: Luckas
    The subject of this thread is strongly connected to the latest chapters, for this reason please make attention not to violate these rules:

Quote Quote:
    NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. This rule will be strictly enforced. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.
    Quote Quote:
    <It isn't allowed either talking or reporting or making references or implying facts regarding the last released chapter outside his proper "discussion thread" and "predictions thread" until the week-end passed. Even with the use of "spoiler tag" it will be considered a violation of this rule.>

Break of this rule will result in:
    - a warning the first time;
    - a banning the second time, whose duration will be in relation to the gravity of the offense;

The discussion thread for the latest chapter is in the "One Piece Discussions" Board, under the Child Boards you'll find two sticky thread: the "discussion thread" for the latest chapter and the "predictions" thread for the next chapter.

The reason of this rule is to avoid spoiling people who didn't read the last released chapter immediately.
    Last edited by Luckas; June 09, 2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: updated

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reasons for and against Brook joining the crew

I like very much Brooke and I hope he will join the strawhats. But if he is a swordsman as Zoro, I fear that it will be very difficult. However reading the excellent OP review by sahugani I thought that maybe the true swordsman isn't Brooke, but he gained his swordsmanship by the person whom his shadow was attached. Obviously this is only a wild thought

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

He is a skilled and famous swords man by the sounds of it this will give the strawhats an advantage over a lot of crews evens the strong warlords (thats happening now).
    all spelling mistakes are copyrighted to mars0103

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah Luckas, sahugani provides some evidence against that theory of yours hehe
    http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showt...280#post380280

But that was a very cool thought

sahugani has also stated another reason why Brook can't join
    Luffy has wanted a musician for so long, but its just one of those baseless wishes that never actually get granted till the end if at all. In that light, Oda would not seriously give in to Luffy as it would effectively kill the possibility of Oda bringing that joke back later on. plus, the problem with having a nakama whose actual job is musician is that it would not be very noticable in the manga format.
    I absolutely agree with that statement. As expected from sahugani ^_^

Now 20% Cooler 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sahugani's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i love Brooke as much as anybody and while he does bear many of the traits that are befitting of a strawhat, i just don't see his recruitment happening. As it has been already mentioned, my latest chapter review has my points against recruitment already listed, so go over and take a look.

while this has been one of the theories i have held longest and been most confident in, don't take it as a certainty. Im sure if Oda does decide to somehow include him, he will use some creative method that defies my reasoning and it will be great. if you were around and remember me from the chapters before Ace and Blackbeard's duel, you'll know that i have been proven wrong by Oda before .

and sorry Luckas, but while your theory sounds good there are two flaws. First of all, it does nothing to negate the fact that Brooke is a swordsman now even if he was not one before, so the conflict still stands. Secondly, he was infamous as the Humming Swordsman from the last time he came to the island, so he obviously had his skills before. i think i had a couple smaller ones mentioned when i replied in the review thread, but those are the big two.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anti-panda's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Brooke seems more like the Steal your panties kinda pervert instead of the luv struck ... womanizing idiot like sanji.
    He uses a sword but isnot a swordsman per say ...
    I personally don't see a huge problem with him joining the strawhats.
    Plus I trust oda because I know he'll work things out so that we wind up loving brooke for reasons different from any of the other strawhats.
    Plus Franky's a bit of a pervert too. In a way different from either brooke or sanji.

There are many perverts in the world. And like snowflakes no two are the same.
    In Oda I trust .. Follow me to the sea of dreams.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member JC123's Avatar
    City of Eternal Darkness, and it ain't Alaska!
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see Brooke as a permanent attachment. I could see Franky over Paulie simply because of his need to fight for Tom. Brooke kind of seems like a temp member like Vivi. Maybe until Zoro learns something new, but the singing musician role I would like to see filled with something that's main weapon IS a gitern or something.

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I would actually like to see Brook teach Zoro that technique he used. Kinda like aiding Zoro get closer to his goal by contributing to his arsenal. And with that he takes his leave

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member IgnorantSage's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

This might be a little off but I remembered that every Mugiwara has a chibi version.

It would be difficult to accurately depict Brooke as a chibi since he became a skeleton only during his adulthood. He would be a kid with afro but then the fact that he wouldn't be a skeleton in his chibi version would mean that the important feature of him (that he is a skeleton) would not be reflected.

This could mean that he might not become a Mugiwara after all.

I know that the premise is a little outrageous but I feel that no chibi brooke = no mugiwara brooke.

It might turn out that brooke will play even less role than Vivi since even Vivi had a chibi version.

I would love it if he becomes one though.

Too many things to do
    Too lazy to take action

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Paz42's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

id really like for brooke to join the crew hes a really interesting charcter hes supposedly a muscian and seems to a be relativly powerful fighter the fact that hes light means he can move ridiculously fast so meaning when he was a normal human must have has some relative speed. and whats more which has already been said but hes a misfit hed fit so well with the group i mean look at it this way weve go t a rubber man, a swordsman who uses three swords, a cook who uses his feet to fight and is a pervert who will do anythin for a woman, an archeologist with many hands kinda, a reindeer doctor, a money obssesed navigator, a Cyborg come on a cyborg there cant be many of them in the world lol . so a singing sword using gentleman(yeah right) skeleton is going to fit right in.

Plus id really like to see how people in towns and stuff deal with brooke and how they are going to try and get him to disguise himself or what ever i think it could be quite interesting lol

And i could forsee some frustration by him from the other crew memembers like zoro challenging him to a battle but not being able to beat him sanji being annoyed by his perverted nature and so on

so in short i want brooke in the crew hehe

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    - He is also a swordsman. A lot of people have been arguing this saying that it doesn't
    matter. This is merely one of the possible reasons why he shouldn't join. The two
    swordsmen will make each other less unique. This one reason can outweigh many of the
    "for" reasons.
    Their styles are completely different (Zoro is more focused towards power and he uses three katanas. Brook seems to use speed more than power and he uses a cane-sword.)

Quote Quote:
    1. The crew just got Franky, whose recruitment took so much development that a quick recruitment directly afterwards would somewhat cheapen the meaning of Franky joining
    Usopp didn't really get a chance to do anything, but Sanji joined the very next arc after Usopp.

As you can tell by the fact that I'm trying to find flaws in the 'Against' points, I really want Brook to join.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Xarcer's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

brook is cool and all.. but how will he walk in the streets therefore i belive he wont be able to join the crew (besides zoro is too cool to have a singing skeleton as a rival !!)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ubo's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crenzel View Post
    Ah Luckas, sahugani provides some evidence against that theory of yours hehe
    http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showt...280#post380280

But that was a very cool thought

sahugani has also stated another reason why Brook can't join

I absolutely agree with that statement. As expected from sahugani ^_^

Completely disagree. First, not having a character join for the sake of a single joke is ridiculous. Also, entire mangas are written about musicians, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

The only real reason I see against Brook joining is that he's a swordsman, but even then, he doesn't use the same amount of swords, so it's not exactly the same.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he will join but there is one thing that makes me wonder.

Everyone in the crew except Robin has a giant overarching dream. All blue, pirate king, map of the world, greatest swordsman, and be a panacea. Although we don't know much about Brook so it is a strong possibility that he could have some huge dream like "to look at the panties of all the women in the world" and join the crew for that. Since Robin seems to not have a giant dream it means that Brook doesn't necessarily have to have one either.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mugen's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

uuum...
    I believe he might join...
    if he can get some flesh on his body.....
    I mean he did say that he hadn't eat in ages...
    so he might possibly get some human-type resemblance
    but at the same type he looks like he might not want to join...
    but then again Eiichiro has spent a bit on Brooke and he's got nothing better to do...
    so possibly might join...
    either way he's cool
    and he also doesn't have a dream or at least hasn't revealed one so possibly he might or might not join...
    but Eiichiro did kinda foreshadow a musician....
    and Franky really only plays for himself

New Reply
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast