Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What fuels anti-Americanism?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What fuels anti-Americanism?

anti-Americanism is probably fuel by pride and bias (or not trying to understand the other side)...

Pride in one's belief (religions, politics, etc) that is different to the American's system. This can be seen communist states and currently Islam states

Strong pride in one's nation that was or is having a conflict with the America. This can be show in Vietnam. For years, I've been reading about war stories that promoting nationalism of Vietnam and demoting the American/ French images. But it can be easily understandable because those writing was written during the war. But some students who learn those writing in school may think otherwise.

Bias and refusing to understand the other side is mostly can be seen by the examples of the extremists from the middle east.

And Education also play a factor here since now we learn about the take over of Hawaii, the ill treatments of the Native Americans, etc.... People began to doubt that American's interest may not always be the best for the rest of the world.

-these are just some hypothesis, and it does not reflect my view of America-

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read the first post, which has a bunch of quotes from Brits accusing the US of imperialism and of trying to remake the world in it's own image.... that's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

I'll admit, many of our policies are on the imperialist side and I don't personally like it, but this imperialism is more of an economic one perpetrated by CEOs bent on making their profit margins bigger (which I think is disgusting) and is not the general will of most people in our government (except the aforementioned jerks). And yes, we were involved in most of the military coups that went on in Latin America and the Middle East (and most of those plans backfired immensely), but they were usually in the interest of national security, even if the plans were crazy. I'm not excusing what we did, but at least we didn't do it in the spirit of conquest, like, shall we say...

The British Empire? I mean come on, it was the one of the biggest (if not the biggest) in history, being comprised of India, Canada, the United States, Australia, South Africa, Hong Kong (which it didn't give up until the 80's or 90's if I recall correctly), etc... Heck, remember the saying "The sun never sets on the British Empire"? They controlled (at different times) the better part of two continents! The British Empire was far more imperialistic. Then again, that was back in the days when empire was the cool thing to do, with France, Spain, and Portugal into it.

We're the main world power because of luck basically. There was never any major battles on American soil during WWII (excluding Pearl Harbor, some minor skirmishes in Alaska and a bomb that went of in Oregon), so our economy didn't have to suffer through reconstruction like countries in Europe and other major theaters did. We "won" the Cold War by being able to outlast the Russians in the arms race spending spree. With all of our main competition gone (except for China, perhaps) we're the "alpha dog" and people are always ripping on the guy at the top. I mean, look at the New England Patriots. They win a few Super Bowls and everyone hates them enough to boo a 14 year old girl who's wearing a Patriots jersey.

Basically what I'm saying is, people hate us because we're on top and we're smug about it. Sooner or later we'll be knocked off the dog pile and someone else will be on top and everyone will hate them and love us (hopefully this will happen in a peaceful way). Until then we should just try not to give them any good reason to hate us.

It's that or because when we go abroad, we expect people to know American English. Now that's just rude...
    Last edited by mrcongojack; January 17, 2008 at 11:47 PM.
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asusp3v4x's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

@bax

was there any bashing there õ_o... as far as I can see, he is being sarcastic... oh these posts are old...so maybe when you posted ^^... things were different...

@Joenosaki

lol I got what you meant... yes ... but deep down, people become hateful when they see other peoples right being destroyed and ignored

@Gold Knight

Quote Quote:
    It's also not new at all that we've been interfering in other countries for a very long time. Heck, just coming to the North American continent in the first place was interfering with a foreign country. But then, what "top dog government" doesn't interfere with other nations? Britain certainly did, so did France, Spain, Alexander the Great spread his Greek empire all over, Rome was all over the map, and if China had cared at all about the rest of the world (which they do now) they would have dominated too, and they're working towards that goal right now. North Korea wants to, too. I suppose that's what spurs us on, even after the fall of the Soviet Union. (Other than oil, which is crucial to our economy right now.)
    None of those guys defended freedom of speech like you guys do

see... the USA is completely different, your ancestors fought against the British exactly because you wanted to pick your own destiny... and now you deny this to the rest of the world

Do you see why people get so mad ... it is not only because USA is ... and they are... our leading Country, but because you guys are lacking the concept ... the concept you people built your country upon...

Quote Quote:
    I suppose you can look at America like this - we're top dog right now, and because of the fear of nuclear war for so long during the Cold War, so our government is taking advantage right now to try to make the world more oriented towards our ideal government - democracy, instead of communism, etc, in order to open up better trading relationships. Preferably through negotiation, but in the case of terrorism, or threatening dictators, by force, yes.
    well... ... hmmm I think what really is there... is America's wish to guarantee that the products will continue to flow... no matter what ^^... no need for trades, or stuff like that ... all you need to have is products and money flowing through the market.

Well I know that sounds a bit weird... but that is what really is happening ^^.

Quote Quote:
    WWII, Vietnam, Korea, etc. all these wars we went to, was for the sake of defending our style of government on a worldwide basis.
    hmmm... I really don't see that... it sounds more like you were sending a message to the world... try to change capitalism in your country and we will destroy your country... in Korea and Vietnam...

WWII... well... you guys helped both sides ... so I don't see any fight to defend your way of life... actually, the Europeans countries, were similar to the USA capitalism believes; (yeah they had their alternative ways... but deep down they wanted free market just like USA) so deep down that was not the reason why USA was going to WWII... the troops were not defending their way of life... they were...defending USA or so they imagined ^^...

Quote Quote:
    So yeah... we're the perceived bullies right now, because we have the power to try to preserve and spread our government, but rest assured, that's the nature of the beast. Any other nation would have done the same, purely out of self-interest and political ideologies. And we're not really trying to take over the world, just protecting our interests.
    Only countries that need to uphold their image towards the world do that... only countries that wish tom expand and still vital resources do that...

It is not the nature of the strongest, is the nature of the most desperate governments... willing to sacrifice thousands over nothing... unfortunately... that how it is...

*Even Brazil does that ... we annihilated Paraguay just because we had to proof to the British that we were on their side... so yeahhh... the strong one doesn't exactly have to do that...*

@mrcongojack

Quote Quote:
    We're the main world power because of luck basically.
    negative on that ^^... the Elite, especially on the bank business, planned carefully how to put USA in those wars... never wondered why we changed to comparing the strength of our currency to Gold and started to use Dollars ???

but I agree with you... MOST people hate the Alpha dog ... yeah i agree... but when it comes to Empires... oh people hate them because they tend to destroy other nations

*USA is not a territory empire... it is a Influence Empire... so deep down... the USA is not as terrible as the previous Super Empires... ^^ but the USA have done all the evil deeds the other ones did =___=... so yeahhh...*
    Last edited by Asusp3v4x; December 26, 2009 at 11:13 AM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asusp3v4x View Post

@mrcongojack

negative on that ^^... the Elite, especially on the bank business, planned carefully how to put USA in those wars... never wondered why we changed to comparing the strength of our currency to Gold and started to use Dollars ???

but I agree with you... MOST people hate the Alpha dog ... yeah i agree... but when it comes to Empires... oh people hate them because they tend to destroy other nations

*USA is not a territory empire... it is a Influence Empire... so deep down... the USA is not as terrible as the previous Super Empires... ^^ but the USA have done all the evil deeds the other ones did =___=... so yeahhh...*
    1. What wars are you referring to?
    2. What is "terrible" about empires? What "evil deeds" can an empire commit that a free nation cannot?
    3. America was not the only nation to go off the gold standard.
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Vietnam... WWI...WWII... the longest ones I suppose ^^ ... Korea I really don't know... never heard of anything like that... what I suppose it was .. was fast deployment to stop North Korea...since America was in Japan ^^... Gulf wars... hmmm who knows ...maybe... I have heard that it was... but I never saw any concrete evidence or stuff like that

A free country can be an Empire right ^^ ???

No ... America forced... or let's say...asked the world to change the standard...
    Last edited by Asusp3v4x; December 26, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ~FrienD~'s Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm no racist but what fuels anti-americanism are americans themselves. they get to sit atop economy that they don't notice they're stomping in someone's ground(this is true in most of them, and actually this happens with every nation which has the status) or another cause is pure envy.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    This was the subject of a Huge debate over BBC. It is perhaps the greatest challenge America will face after the 2008 election. What to do with the severely damaged US Image around the world? What caused the hatred and how to stop it.

I chose some comments from the Have your say section on BBC.
    What do you think fuels this hatred?

Successive American governments have rained death and destruction either directly or by proxi on much of the rest of the planet (see 'Rogue State' if you need to).

No one is 'anti' the American people, but we are against the pursuit of commercial goals through militery means.

Put people before dollars and start recognising the value of human life.
    Go Go, Bristol, United Kingdom

Imagine you buy a top-class Mercedes and a Dacia (a cheap car from Romania). Imagine both The Dacia AND The Mercedes gives you problems. You'd be more upset that the Mercedes was unreliable than the Dacia. You expect better from Mercedes.

Same with America. We're not surprised if a troubled country breaks human rights but we expect the USA to be A Model Democracy and are VERY critical if they aren't.

Anti-Americanism is, perhaps, a disguised compliment, we think America should be perfect.
    bob bob, United Kingdom

US is a big interfering bully all over the world. This has been proven many times such as Iraq (supporting Saddam against the Iran); Iran (shah against the ayotollah); Indonesia (Sukarno; Suharto); Pakistan (Supporting Taliban); Israel (against Palestine). Specific to Latin America Cuba(Batista); Chile(Augusto Pinochet), Nicaragua (Anastasio Somoza) and Paraguay(Alfredo Stroessner). US is the beacon of freedom and a big hypocrite. All these countries suffered due to USA in the name of democracy.
    brian, san francisco

I hate to say it, but America seems hell bent on re-making the world in it's own image. At least "Gee Dubya" seems to want it that way.

What's so much better about America than anywhere else? Nothing: the contining tragic news which pours from America proves that.

Why not stop bullying other nations and sort out the US's own problems before spreading them around the globe?
    matt, Edinburgh

I much prefer a strong US than any other country in the world I can think of.
    Elizabeth Straker

It seems anti-Americanism has become the worlds favorite pastime. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. We have become the scapegoat for other peoples failures and mistakes, blamed for the problems in their lives that are rightly their own fault. Everything American does is wrong, while really evil regimes like Sudan or North Korea are given a pass. I for one am sick and tired of it. We're not perfect, but this is ridiculous. Isolationism is starting to look very attractive.....
    Tim, USA

The US was behind most military coups in Latin America since the independence of these countries, it also invaded Mexico and it took half of it's territory in a war that started under false pretenses. Everytime a latin country tried to take it´s own path, the US was there to break it, like in Chile, Guatemala, and more recently Venezuela. How can Venezuelan's like the US when it supported the coup against Chavez, who like it or not was elected by the people? Is that their idea of democracy?
    alejandra moreno-letelier, Mexico City, Mexico

it would seem that any criticism of american foreign policy is percieved by americans as `anti-american´.
    many people feel angered by the propping up of dictators such as somoza,batista,noriega, saddam,the shah,pinochet,etc, then dumpnig them when they become an embarressment whilst preaching the joys of democracy. this is percieved as serious hypocracy. the unconditional support of israel and constant vetos in the u.n. also doesn´t help.
    i´m not anti-american, but u.s. foreign policy sucks.
    matt, madrid
    simple. stop putting your nose in other people's affairs!
    Last edited by Belisar; January 01, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

"The man who is at the peak of his success, and the man who has just failed are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next."

Jigoro Kano

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a different culture from that in the UK.People often forget that, however they will not bestow the same level of criticism that they apply to American culture towards other cultures across the world, this could quite easily be considered racist.People complain that children are made to take a few minutes out of their time to pledge allegiance to the flag of America, whereby they are 'forced' to acknowledge a Christian god. Yet they will not raise an eyebrow when women are persecuted every waking minute of every day in the name of a different god.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

It all comes down to economics. Were all at the mercy of our governments' geopolitical ambitions and no country is more innocent than the next. The American people are good people. The problem with anti-Americanism is that the geopolitical backlash is tacked onto the people/country as a whole instead of recognizing the machinations of the elite over whom they have no ultimate control.

For example, Venezuela. Im sure the people are nice, but they have a bastard of a fascist leader who's really not helping his country look good by his actions and entrenched domestic takeover.

The world needs to learn to be a little more judicious in that manner with each other. Otherwise youre just a tool. I think we can all agree on that.

And Asusp, your statements (or paraphrasing) based on however youve been educated on world affairs is incorrect and borders on conspiracy theory irrationality. I urge you to stop and rethink, re-examine.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
    simple. stop putting your nose in other people's affairs!
    Yeah, I know, old post... but even if I do share your opinion, there are times that is necessary to combat a régime that can be prejudicial to its people and countries surrounding it (meaning the whole world sometimes).

The problem is that the U.S. only put its nose in someone's affairs if it is economically/geopolitically relevant for them. If it is a poor country, offering nothing but starving ppl that won't become a bunch of consumers too fast, they would care less about them (a cliché example, nevertheless a valid one).

Yes, the U.S. is a country that feels like the world's sheriff (make war to achieve peace; paradoxal, isn't it?) and at the same time to be followed as a role model (again, economically relevant for them - and strangely enough, or as they want us to think as an undeniable truth, for the world's economy).

I can't blame the guys, I just don't agree with the killing done through the process, the suffering that families go through (both american and foreign), even more using religion to claim they are right (God bless America, right, Bush? - I know, it is Obama's time, but I saw this Bush saying that multiple times in my adolescence XD).
    And when I say "they" I REALLY (sorry for the emphasis) don't mean the whole U.S. population, but the ones who govern and are manipulated - by other forces* inside this very same country - to act as "they" act.
    Ah, other countries also do that, but they are not as sordid as part of the U.S. government.

*Lobby groups, someone? B4 ppl start to say that I am on a conspiracy kind of talk...
    Just sharing my POV...
    Last edited by Dhazard; October 14, 2010 at 06:32 PM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

This video sums up quite some points:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4H_E8b-qmo
    "Calling the average American's mindset 'naive' is a very benevolent characterization"

Personally my main point of critizism is the huge right wing in the US with their impressive ignorance. Yeah sure we got some of that kind in our country as well, but it's not almost half the population like in the USA...
    Actually the fact that Obama became president raised my opinion on the US alot. It's like a sign that there still are some moderate people in that country. However, the Tea Party is on their way on ruining it again, what a bunch of blockhead, incredible that such people still exist in our times. They rather fit into medieval times...
    Tea Party actually manages it to call Obama Hitler and Stalin at the same time, what the hell? Their sense of justice and community spirit is that of a three-year old child and they talk extremely hateful/against tolerance, exactly the worst thing to do for peace. Their ideas of liberal economy damage social justice extremely, but half of America fails to notice that.
    Then, especially in the past, America acts like the highest court in terms of justice and human rights, while actually trampling these with the feet.
    And then there is general US media/culture, which partially very bold, unmannered, biased and loud. It simply seems that the US has lost any sense of decency. Just one little footnote here: A previous classmate who spent a year in US in a student exchange program told us that in summer it was very hot outside, and way too cold inside because everyone used their air conditioning to absurd extremes. I've got very old numbers here (2003) but back then the energy uses per citizen was 11.031SKE (coal equivalent), while it was only around 5.500 in other highly industrialized countries such as Japan, Germany and UK.

In short, what most people actually hate of the USA is the right wing and the past foreign policy, acting like they were the rulers of the world.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; October 15, 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaahaha it is all about power dude... America is a power house and they do whatever is more economical to their nation ... and to their Elite n___n ...

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, to their defence, most countries (excluding some, sorry for the language, fucked up countries with awesome dictators and/or corrupted governments) does what's most economically profitable for their nation and their people. It's just that, to be honest, America is on a little more extreme level than most of the other western countries and they are a LITTLE bigger so it gives a LITTLE more impact on the rest of the world.

About the anti Americanism? Well, there's shitloads of small factions that builds up to the huge amount of anti Americanism in, mostly Europe. Things such as low common knowledge of the outside world, low cultural acceptance, no real liberal views, arrogance etc.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Some American soldiers -or rather the fact that a tape of them was leaked as such things most likely happen rather often- once again did a nice job to fuel anti-Americanism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUDIIJkPs7Q
    I guess the video will be deleted soon as that cynic uploader marked it as "entertainment" category. The questionable behavior is after 4:30 in the video as a helicopter gunner shoots a fleeing taliban while other soldiers are cheering:
    „Yeaaaah!“, „Whoooah!“, „God bless America!“, „Yeah, bitch, fuck yeah!“. „Nice shooting“

Nothing left of honorable behaviour there. This is not a way a democracy can lead a war... some soldiers behave worse than most of the Taliban.
    I have no proof for my assumption, but I'm very certain that most members of the Bundeswehr would still follow acceptable behaviour in such a situation, inspired by the older members and officers who mostly still follow such rules. I think this display of unacceptable lack of honor is something the US army in general can be blamed for and definitly affects my image of the United States in general. This is no behaviour an army of a democratic and sophisticated country should show at any point!
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; October 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

21. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Roflkot3r that what those soldiers did is unacceptable, but that does not represent our entire military. If you judge and entire military force by the actions of a few soldiers then every military in the world is a disgrace. Unless I'm to believe this sort of thing doesn't happen with other countries' military.

Also, being constantly surrounded by people that want to kill you can do some major damage to a person's psyche to the point where they don't act rational. Now, I'm not defending their actions, but if you are seeing people you know and care for die on a near daily basis and a person associated with the group that is killing them is killed themselves, I can't say I wouldn't cheer myself. It's a hard situation to place yourself in, but once again, I still find it disgusting.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast