Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What fuels anti-Americanism?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What fuels anti-Americanism?

Yes, they don't represent the entire military, yet such faux pas came together to a full set in my, and many other Germans' I think, minds over the years. It certainly is not fair to take such news as a model for a nation, and I know that there are many nice people over in the US, too, but these faux pas of military and police give an image which is unthinkable for me to see at our officials.

-Many cases of unaccaptable police behaviour in the U.S., every now and then one occurs which gets hyped up in the media or the internet, like those guys shooting a harmless dog for no reason. It's rare that heavy police missteps happens here, to me it seems the police not only has better manners also towards the "lower class" but also a more strict leadership.

-Same goes for the military. Ok, other than us, the USA truly are involved in war with a large number of soldiers, even though the Bundeswehr definitly is in a war condition in their part of Afghanistan, that's way less soldiers to supervise and much clearer. But it's absolutely unimaginable that German soldiers would ever produce as many faux pas as the US military does in a single month. There have been only two so far: Airstrike at Kunduz killing civilians and some KSK commandos taking photos of themselves playing around with skulls.

Ok, alot of impressions about US army come from either movies -most unreliable source ever, but portraying a certain mindset, possibly not too far away from reality- and news, which of course focus on special events and giving an emoted image, but the number of such occurences is gigantic.

I 'ld think of two reasons for this:
    1) A huge part of those still fighting for the US army are poorly educated lower class members as there sadly are way too many of such in the US and there is not enough proper supervision for them in the higher ranks.
    2) The whole army totally lacks a degree of humility. This might be pseudo-knowledge, an impression coming from media allone - but my current image is that the recruits don't ever learn something like that in their training but rather are trained for cockiness.
    To be honest by writing this I'm quite certain that this might be a specific German position as Germany was forced to learn humbleness due to the historical burdensome legacy.

Oh and by the way don't let yourself get down by this thread, it's a one sided America bashing by concept after all

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, I've been on the internet for quite some time so I've heard the worst people can dish out about my country

But you are right about the majority of our soldiers being poorly educated and poor. The recruiters we have here (at least in my experience) prey on kids who don't have a shot at going to college and don't really have many option after high school. The people who would be considered smarter and have more money go to college and get a regular job without ever being involved in the military.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asusp3v4x's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Also, being constantly surrounded by people that want to kill you can do some major damage to a person's psyche to the point where they don't act rational.
    I think that you are sort of mistaken by that... special response units have the feeling that they might be killed much more than the average soldier and especially a pilot from a chopper, still they act professionally as much as they can. The truth is... being unprepared for war and being constantly pushed to become a hateful person and violent in nature causes that behavior.

Yeah , of course all military units do atrocities, and love to kill unarmed people hahaha ... but to be quite true... I have been in the military... I would NOT trust a gun to those people, damn! I wouldn't trust a gun to myself ...

Now let see how far this goes... the USA and NATO forces invaded the Afghanistan, in order to stop terrorism from attacking other countries and/or spreading any further. THE FUNNY PART ... is that terrorist are actually invisible enemies; anyone can do an act of terrorism, Brazil did against its people, Hitler did, USA does, Terrorist groups do, separatists do, guerrilla fighters do, CT teams most certainly do, Special forces do.
    In the end, ALL organizations do, either if they want to keep the world the piece of shit it is or they want to change to their own version of a piece of shit.

So ... the Afghan people, which have NO power whatsoever, all thanks to the Taliban regime, are being murdered everything single day all thanks to USA lead NATO forces annnd NATO forces just acting on their own. EVEN more FUNNY, is that the Taliban wanted to give away Bin Laden in case that USA presented prove about Bin Laden's connections with September 11th ... and what DID THE USA DID ... said NO!... we don't want YOU to give the man we are looking! And they went on and invaded Afghanistan with ... "NATO Security forces".

I don't know about you people .... but that is sort of weird!... well anyway going back to the point ... where we are trying to find the reason why people hate AMERICA or what makes them fell like they hate the USA or ... even why do people think they hate.

Well ... let me tell you this then... Brazil during the Paraguay war annihilated 90% of the male population... we, by the end of the war were shooting children because they were no more men to fight. So guess why ... they would hate us... you people have 1 CHANCE!... OMG you are SO CORRECT!... it is because we are fucking genocidal idiots, their country will be trash for eternity all thanks to us.

Do we celebrate doing such a terrible thing... NOPE ... we have no time ... too poor to do that... but OUR DAMN military does commemorate the day they stole the Presidency from the people and created one of the worst military dictatorships on SOUTH AMERICA!

NOWWWWW... if you need to ... i can tell whyyyy people hate the USA ... but do I really have to say ... i mean ...if guys know History you have, mayyyybe some idea what I am going to say.

End of the Story ... they hate nations that invade, murder, bomb, terrorize, torture and holds hostage another nation. if you guys haven't realized that so far... is because you people have no souls ... or no knowledge of Human History ...

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asusp3v4x View Post
    I think that you are sort of mistaken by that... special response units have the feeling that they might be killed much more than the average soldier and especially a pilot from a chopper, still they act professionally as much as they can. The truth is... being unprepared for war and being constantly pushed to become a hateful person and violent in nature causes that behavior.
    Exactly! Being unprepared for war. Nearly every soldier sent over to war for the first time is unprepared. How could they be prepared for that unless they've already been involved in a war? And I've seen people that came back from fighting in WWII and Vietnam, some are permanently scarred. My great grandpa couldn't even listen to the German language period without nearly snapping (he was a German prisoner for over a year). But like I've said many times, I'm not defending their actions >.>

Quote Quote:
    NOWWWWW... if you need to ... i can tell whyyyy people hate the USA ... but do I really have to say ... i mean ...if guys know History you have, mayyyybe some idea what I am going to say.

End of the Story ... they hate nations that invade, murder, bomb, terrorize, torture and holds hostage another nation. if you guys haven't realized that so far... is because you people have no souls ... or no knowledge of Human History ...
    Then I guess we should hate all nations if we are going by history. But yes I understand why many Middle Eastern people can hate the USA since all they see of us is our military, but what about the rest of the world? Like many European nations? I see a lot of hate coming from that area over the internet and their reasoning is usually superficial stuff they see on tv or because or actions taken by the USA 50 to 60 years ago.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asusp3v4x's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Drmke

damn man why you had to use family T_T Fuck!.... u__u I am sorry for you grandpa man ... so he was a POW ... huh ... nooowww that is ... too much to bear.... u_u

Well ... all nations do deserve their amount of hate... sort of ... buuut you seee... there is one last thing... the USA is the ... by far ... the MOST GLOBAL nation in the world hahaha ...

Well okay, if we follow history obviously we have some very violent nation ... Europe ... hahaah well okay everywhere we have that, but... the USA is the world leading nation ... o_o ... you know .... defender of capitalism, richest nation in the world, the nation that is capable to make the world a global tribe and all that stuff.

So you know... is something like this. Clinton got a BJ remember ??? WELLL EVERYBODY REMEMBER that ... sort of, but how many people remember that a African President * yeah I forgot the country ...* was found to have a mistress and I think he was paying all her life accounts. NOBODY...sort of ... so I think you get my point ... when it is USA ... is BIG!... when it is a minor country is small or forgivable ...

Now stopping to think ... I think we live in a world of illusions ... and war is the thing scare us the most, seeing people being killed by choppers or airplanes is really tough, you people * Americans * just got bad luck that midia loves your wars, nobody film when we the Brazilians kill the Haitians ... =___= ...

Sooo ... am I really about to admit that Anti-Americanism come from the fact that we want to live in a better world but the world sucks so we must blame on someone all the mistakes that a group of few idiots do ?

=___= ... o_o .... u___u oh crap ... looks like I lost

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

well for starters muslims do find America as ...not so friendly ..... seriously... some of the worst scandals and racism that we muslims have face or are facing are from america.. that doesnt mean that i hate usa, i dont... recently the controversy over the building of a mosque few blocks away ground 0 and the Quran burning day both founted from Uas.. and Usa s policy doesnt actually placate the muslim mass rather it pours the oil ... the war on terror especially magnified on the counties occupied by muslims just makes the mass more agitated ... other than that the reason s for anti americanism is the rise of china and its rejecition of american hold over many countires... many of the counties facing some sort of oppression are turning to china and creating more and more anti americanism......
    i remember one incident, in california i believe, where an old lady refused to take an article that she accidenly dropped from a sister wearing the HIjab(muslim dress codes) her statement was like this : i dont want any help from a MOSELEM... if hate is generated as such from the people themselves what can one expect in return ?
    americas stonker support on israel's actions on Palestienian indigenous population makes the whole thing even worse ....

and really we dont take all of the american soldiers to be at fault for what the wiki leaks showed us ... not all of the military is involved ...but can any one please send it to ppls head that what happened in 9/11 wasnt the fault of the whole muslim community...just a buch of lunatics...and the details are still under controversy as to who actually did it... talk about anti american .. you have no idea how bad anti islamic agenda goes... how many films did Holly wood make that depicts an arab/ muslim is a terrorist boss and trying to annihilate USA fully ...almost every year there are bound to be stack worth load of films or series that depicts muslims as a force of evil and killing usa personnel etc ...and that programs mind to hate a certain group of people and that hate is reflected back...
    there are more reasons for anti-americaism but i am not going to that ...my main concern is with the group i belong and i tried my level best to clarify what many already knows
    Last edited by shaheer; November 09, 2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't think that usa dudes are alike but a proportion of them are nasty, I recently visited topix.com and I found some people there especially americans who are dedicated to calling muslims names like pigs and monkeys, they think that muslims are raising their children to hate americans and that they are teaching them how to blow up in the USA or whatever.

I think that's so wrong, and americans are making a huge mistake by thinking that muslims and taliban or benladen are alike, they call themeselves muslims but thier intrepretation of it is as different as day and night, I actually think that taliban are and the terrorist benladen are a bunch of idiots who deserve whatever that's gonna happen to them, because they are the ones who caused this bitterness and hatred and we muslims shouldn't be blamed for it, some of you think that if benladen and the terrorists are muslims then all muslims are terrorists and I think that's stupid, and if american dudes were smart they shouldn't think that way.

So I think its only a matter of who is smart to look up the fact and who is dumb enough to believe every word that comes from media.
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

well i dun know about tropix(havent visited that site)...but i get a load of such in Fb.... last week a guy was calling the muslim mass as a bunch of bloodies ...... and said we are terrorist to be purged out and should be done as soon as possible.
    and as for Taliban...it was a creation of USA(or USA funded during its genesis if i am to be certain) so you reap what you sow.... muslims arent extremist to begin with but when a muslim so called group is created without the consent of the religion(thus you dont know what you stand for) things are bound to get nasty in the long run.....like it did.... and for that the side effects that we face are....i should say worse than what me and DL stated.......
    so its only natural that some of us become anti american by nature

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Very true shaheer, I actually don't know why some people on facebook are creating seminars or whatever just to argue with muslims and try to bring out flaws of islam, and that makes me wonder if some of this guys are doing it just for the sake of doing it or someone is actually sponsoring this which would make sense as well. These should just get a life and worry about themselves instead of when islam is going to dominate, because when it does there is nothing you can do about it.
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest points I noticed:

-Hysteria: Partially due to the media, but also in general it seems that America as a nation cannot remain calm but always gets hyped up and screaming about anything... combined with the national superbia a noticable amount of US citizens has, it's a bad combination leading to things such as the Iraq war.
    -Overdone national pride: Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school? Cmon...
    -The strong religious fundamentalist wing in America. This example I just read a few minutes ago is just so typical for the US:

Republican US congressman John Shimkus thinks that climate change does not pose a threat because only God can destroy the world but humans cannot. This congressman wants to become head of energy and trade committee in house of representatives.

Talking about naive politics...

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the main reason is due to its economic power(well, duh, its always about money). That makes the country make decisions which would make it unpopular at large(oil wars, foreign policy and so on). In turn, being powerful is something which would make it unpopular just because. Lets face it, if you grow enough and become sufficiently powerful there will be someone eager to watch you fall and even go as far as to do something about it(even if you are actually harmless). Just being economically powerful means USA has an inherent advantage when negotiation with other countries. Say the USA is negotiating a business agreement with a third world country regarding imports/exports. In most scenarios USA would represent an 80% of the business that small third world country has while in turn that small third world country would represent not even a measly 1% of USA's business. In other words, that particular third world country has an insignificant impact on the US economy and could easily be replaced by other third world countries. Such a situation is not particularly avoidable and bound to cause resentment. Another thing I have noticed over the years is that countries tend to criticize the USA for both, getting involved and not getting involved so one way or another they can't win one that regard. Many things fuel resentment towards USA, some are USA's fault and some aren't.

On another note, I never liked when people in the USA are called Americans(by themselves or others). America is a continent, everyone in it should be an American in the same way people in Africa are Africans and people in Europe are European. It's like the rest of the people in the continent are in limbo lol. This is a rather small thing but it certainly does not help.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    On another note, I never liked when people in the USA are called Americans(by themselves or others). America is a continent, everyone in it should be an American in the same way people in Africa are Africans and people in Europe are European. It's like the rest of the people in the continent are in limbo lol. This is a rather small thing but it certainly does not help.
    I have always found that odd too. I have noticed that, when referring to Canadians as well, the term used is "North Americans." When referring to South Americans, people say "South Americans." Et cetera.

I can understand why people might do that though. It is hard to come up with a name for a country's population when the name of that country is not like a regular name (e.g., Germany, China, Liberia, etc.) and instead is "United [something]." The United Arab Emirates, for example, do not have an official name for members of the country as a whole, but they are usually referenced as "Emirati" even though "emirate" is an actual word and not a proper noun (name of something). The only other "United" country is the United Kingdom, whose official name is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and people tend to reference it based on Britain (and reference the other parts of the the UK by their names too).

Thus, the United States of America is a tad hard to reference without saying American. Technically, by modern standards, there is no "America." There are two continents: North America and South America. So, I suppose it is okay in that sense for U.S. citizens to be referenced as "Americans."

The problem I have with it, which ties into the topic of this thread, is that the term "American" only being applied to things related to the United States of America gives the appearance that the U.S. is making itself seem more important than the rest of the countries that are located in the Americas. I sometimes feel like it might give the impression of having a superiority complex to the rest of the world.

I wonder how someone from outside of the U.S.A. but still inside one of the Americas (like Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc.) feels about this.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's quite common to call US citizens "Amerikaner" (Americans) or "Amis" (short form, colloquial, can be used in a derogatory way) in German as well while other people from the continents of North or South America are only called by their country names (Mexicans, Canadians etc.) or possibly South-Americans.
    If I had to guess why this is, it might be because "USA" don't form a nice name for the inhabitants and possibly because Germany had a lot of contact with US soldiers after second world war while the other American countries weren't present or important to us at that time.
    Also "USA" already carries "America" in its name. I don't think that the term "Americans" for US citizens is a problem though.
    The united arabian emirates consist of single emirates by the way so they're usually called by those names (Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc.)

@kkck: The power of the USA hasn't been an issue for most Germans most of the time, but the
    1) use of it on cost of other states, such as CIA foreign operations assisting dictators while damaging democratic presidents
    2) combination of power and ignorance
    3) superbia
    in connection with it did damage their reputation.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    The united arabian emirates consist of single emirates by the way so they're usually called by those names (Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc.)
    Right. I was saying that, when someone wants to refer to people of the United Arab Emirates collectively instead of by their individual emirates (which is usually what is done), the term "Emirati" has been used.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

well the only reason they do that is so that unity is reached....Dubai abudhabi and etc(7 states) are too esoteric to themselves hitherto a yrs ago...... thats to the economic melt down they are more or less forced to ponder over "all for one and one for all' lol
    and look at australia its a continent ..but when generally when one says i am an Australian we think that he is from the country australia and not from new zeland or other ,......we dont even think that he is referring to the continent....and there is no problem with that ...no rift is caused then ...so i doubt calling Usa citizen as american will be that much questionable

you see i live in baqngladesh but most of the ppl from the west calls a bangladeshi a pakistani or an indian as Indian...collectively.... now that is insulting ...i have a country and that has no drop of the word india in it.... so Y call us all indian...but USA has the word America in it so i doubt it s as much infractive if the citizens are referred to as Americans

New Reply
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast