Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conan's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Islam Q&A Thread

well in the my country jordan, it is still practiced but on a very low scale, I agree with azurel, its mostly the older generations that practice it these generations have different ideals than the ones before, it doesn't matter either way, the important thing to me is the man treats his wife well either way, living in Europe now I hear polygamy being bashed all the time, but when a national health service research comes out to show that the average of British men has a relation with 7 women each year on average its quite disturbing, I think polygamy could be practical, I know this because a close relative of mine chose to have two wives, believe it or not, it saved his first marriage, to me it doesn't matter as long as the condition set in the quran is met and the women are treated well then thats fine, by the way something people don't notice or understand is that Islam actually restricted polygamy, the society that prophet mohammed was born into allowed men to have as many wives as they want, it wasn't unheard of to find a man with nine wives or such, also inheritance rules regarding women were awful, the y never received any share of anything until prophet mohammed ordered such acts to be stopped, so if it wasn't for Islam such acts would have actually kept going on to this day most likely.
    "Fighting was the only thing I was good at,but at least I always fought for what I believed in",Solid Snake and Gray Fox.
    watch some of the worlds best martial artists show their abilities in this thread http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5582

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MadDog's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Assalammualaikum. I think starting this thread was a great idea.

I've always wanted to know more about the Hajj and what is expected of someone making the pilgrimmage. Is it primarily done on foot, or are their exceptions made for old/unwell? Also, I've heard that there is a certain amount of prestige that comes with having made the Hajj. Thanks!

Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

wa alaikum alsalam MD to I'll answer some of your questions quickly about hajj, I'm sure amar-kun will come later with more detailed answers and references ( he always does ).
    first what do you mean of what is expected , do you mean physically mentally, or financially etc, hajj is a must for ABLE muslims, now able means anything, either financially ( so if your poor you will be pardoned ) or physically, like having a major or long term disease or disability, although these days their are facilities like wheel chairs provided for the disabled like people who cant walk, or people who cant walk a lot, like many old people.

the pilgrimage has many steps, lots of them are done by foot, like tawaf which means going around the holy house the kaaba seven times for the able, but there is lots of moving between the steps of hajj they are done in different places, normal transportation like buses is used for that, like moving to mina or muzdalifa or arafa, all these places have their own respective ceremonies, you can move between them by bus, but do not underestimate the walking, from that I have heard there is a lot of it to be done.

about the prestige, I also dont know exactly what you mean, there isnt really much prestige but for those who come back usually theres a sort welcome back party, who relatives and friends come to but thats all I know about.

hope that answers some of your questions, by the way one last thing, I haven't been to hajj myself but was fortunate enough to go to mecca for umrah many times, umrah is a smaller version of hajj, but it isnt a must like hajj is, you can do it if you want to, I am saying this just to describe the place, I have to say it was one of the most magical trips I ever made, I love the place, it has a peace and calm to it I cant explain, worldly issues fly out of your mind at its site, it is quite a great experience.
    Last edited by conan; May 13, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
    "Fighting was the only thing I was good at,but at least I always fought for what I believed in",Solid Snake and Gray Fox.
    watch some of the worlds best martial artists show their abilities in this thread http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5582

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member woody_green's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Azurel, conan, and amar_kun, thank you very much for your replies!

This thread is really informative, and I enjoyed reading the questions and answers from first page to last. Kudos to you all!
    Gotta love chocolate.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member amar_kun's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Assalammualaikum. I think starting this thread was a great idea.

I've always wanted to know more about the Hajj and what is expected of someone making the pilgrimmage. Is it primarily done on foot, or are their exceptions made for old/unwell? Also, I've heard that there is a certain amount of prestige that comes with having made the Hajj. Thanks!
    alaikumussalam MadDog.

thank you for your question. i will answer it as best i can. in order to answer your question, i have to tell you what we muslim do in hajj chronogically.

1. niat (intention)
    Spoiler show

2. wukuf at arafah (gather at arafah)
    Spoiler show

3. Tawaf at Kaabah, Mecca (circling the Kaabah in Mecca)
    Spoiler show

4. sa'i between hill Safa and Marwah (walking between hill Safa and Marwah)
    Spoiler show

5. overnight at Mina and throwing jamrah (stone)
    Spoiler show

6. tawaf wida' in Mecca (farewell tawaf)
    Spoiler show

hmm.. actually i never set my foot in Mecca, so what i wrote here is just what i've heard from my friend who already done their pilgrim . i hope you will get the general idea about our hajj, the fifth biggest act of worship for muslim. please make du'a (prayer) so that i can make hajj with my family right after i graduate from university.

update~

i've found a cool link in youtube. it's a documentary by discovery channel about mecca. Enjoy!
    Link: The Discovery Channel : Inside Mecca

Quote Originally Posted by woody_green View Post

This thread is really informative, and I enjoyed reading the questions and answers from first page to last. Kudos to you all!
    woody_green, thank you for sparing your time to read all the pages. i hope this will increase your understanding towards us muslim thus enhancing the our ties
    Last edited by amar_kun; May 15, 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Video Link

Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woody_green View Post

your welcome woody green, I am glad you enjoyed it.

see MD I told you amar-kun will be back with more detail, he gave you a detailed guide on how to do hajj nice work amar-kun.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zaloof's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azurel View Post
    And w'salam zaloof!

didn't noe u are a muslim too ^^
    thankfully i am

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Zaloof.. i've always wanna know about this.. maybe you can answer me.. i got some friend who both from UAE.. but when i asked them, one said he is from 'Dubai' and the other said 'i'm from Abu Dhabi'.... they rarely said they're from UAE..

my question is.. are Dubai and Abu Dhabi have different state with different Sultan (king)? Like malaysia we got 12 different state with 12 sultan..

(erm.. i hope this question is relevant to this topic )

btw i've found a link to an online book titled "A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam" This book is quite popular as it always be given free copies in nearly all 'introducing islam exibition'. hope you all enjoy it

weblink : http://www.islam-guide.com/

pdf link : http://www.islam-guide.com/islam-guide.pdf

(i already put this to the first post)
    Last edited by amar_kun; May 15, 2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: link for online book

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zaloof's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amar_kun View Post
    Zaloof.. i've always wanna know about this.. maybe you can answer me.. i got some friend who both from UAE.. but when i asked them, one said he is from 'Dubai' and the other said 'i'm from Abu Dhabi'.... they rarely said they're from UAE..

my question is.. are Dubai and Abu Dhabi have different state with different Sultan (king)? Like malaysia we got 12 different state with 12 sultan..

(erm.. i hope this question is relevant to this topic )

btw i've found a link to an online book titled "A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam" This book is quite popular as it always be given free copies in nearly all 'introducing islam exibition'. hope you all enjoy it

weblink : http://www.islam-guide.com/

pdf link : http://www.islam-guide.com/islam-guide.pdf

(i already put this to the first post)
    well we have 7 royal family's each ruling a state, the capital Abu Dhabi which is ruled by Al-Nahyan is the family that rules the UAE, and Dubai's Al-Maktoom becomes prime Misinter, but the Nahyan family who becomes King his rule is absolute, even over the royal families

and about the people who say were from Abu Dhabi or Dubai is true, we rarely say were from the UAE but were only proud but not racist

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

why do islam people feel the need to blow themselves up and kill other innocent people.

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordslayer19 View Post
    why do islam people feel the need to blow themselves up and kill other innocent people.
    hi lordslayer.. it seems that this is your first post! welcome to MangaHelpers!!

about your question, i'm pretty much not sure as you since i haven't blow up myself yet !!

actually, in my opinion, this is the problem of understanding. terrorism is as much as unacceptable to muslim as it is to other people. when a non muslim do a terrorist act, people dont bring up his/her religion for what his doin. but when the same case happen to a muslim, the name of islam is brought up and linked with terrorism. isnt that a bit unfair?

actually the word ISLAM itself means PEACE in arabic. thats why when muslim meet other people they said "As SALAM mualaykum" which means "PEACE be upon you" and salam here means peace. how come a religion promote peace can as well promote terrorism? isnt that odd?

here i give you a link of a video on youtube that related to this. its kinda funny and at the same time has a deep meaning behind it.

link:Muslim while flying

AsSalam mualaykum!!
    Last edited by amar_kun; May 16, 2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add link

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for letting me understand

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

no problem, mate . by the way, i hope you enjoy your time here in MH. we got plenty of forums with a lot of fun topics with lots lots of friendly forumers

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Optimist's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Asalam alykoum
    thx a lot amar_kun and other muslim
    I like to help you but my english isn't good enough !

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

alaikumusSalam Optimist! Welcome to the thread !!

about the grammar, actually my grammar is not that good as well . dont worry, Allah look us for our intention and sincerity, not the grammar.. so insyaAllah as we start to post more and more replies, we can improve our grammar and enrich our vocabulary.

New Reply
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast