Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I think stereotyping is a defensive mechanism done instinctively, though. You can't hundred percent blame them, but you can't claim they're innocent either. People stereotype Muslims as suicide bombers or terrorists because they're scared. They fear for their lives, so by stereotyping, they can stay far away and assume they're much safer that way.
    I think it's because they are ignorant

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Ignorance can come from fear as well, though. I personally disagree with their views, as much as I understand where they're coming from, if the bigotry comes from fear. I still don't like how they treat Muslims or their reaction towards Muslims, though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I think stereotyping is a defensive mechanism done instinctively, though. You can't hundred percent blame them, but you can't claim they're innocent either. People stereotype Muslims as suicide bombers or terrorists because they're scared. They fear for their lives, so by stereotyping, they can stay far away and assume they're much safer that way.
    I agree ignorance and fear works together when it comes down to general populace. But this is beefed up by the media this is what i was trying to connect.

For example this was an even that happened in India a guy fornicated with his daughter in law and happened to be a muslim, now they had a sharia court of some sort back then and some one obscure in the sharia court once stated that the appropriate method should be for the guy to marry that daughter in law.
    now this wasnt allowed by the sharia court and all of the people said its ludicrous and the idea ended with a full stop.
    Next day the media came and started asking EVERY one (Muslim) in the area whether or not this decision is a moral abhorrence or not. This gave the vibe that the whole topic was in debate and muslims have weird view regarding this in which people can marry their daughter in law.
    Excuse me? That thing just came and went like a short breeze without much support and more over it came from a single guy and ALL of the others kicked that idea out saying its NOT in Islam.
    So since this news hit the big spot headline in the later news people started talking all sort of weird thing abt the muslims and started sattire cartoons locally and all that.
    I mean what is this ?!! This is not just unfair it tantamounts to a crime

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

True, that's the media though. They focus more on ratings and what's popular than the truths and facts.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the issues I recently came across in my readings is that natives from Britain and other European countries are not pro-Muslim immigrants, and they blame their governments for political correctness. They speculate that these minorities will take over someday and take Europe back to the middle ages, thus extinguishing civilization. On the other hand some of these Muslim families and immigrants probably escaped radicalism and went to look for chances. What these popular opinions among the natives imply is that Muslims should be deported back to their countries. I find this strange.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Irony here is that nearly every country has been created and made into what it was because of immigrants, which North America is a great example of. I doubt Europe would have been as big if people didn't migrate from Africa to Europe (assuming evolution and origins of humans are true). I think people just feel threatened that their jobs are being taken and livelihood possibly changing. I mean, tons of Americans are getting mad at how immigrants aren't learning English or something.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL you will find these kind of people who wants to deport every one from the place they live in every were akhi. I met a guy from KKK he was saying brown and black should be deported from USA i was like what the hell are you talking about what about you guys? Strictly speaking you are not a native either native americans are lol. Living shouldnt be based on pigment or ethnicity.
    In England there is a grp called EDL as far as i know they are Islamophobic (since i havent been there i know from my relatives who lives there so i am not the best person to ask question about them). They try to force Islam out of England.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Well so far we(me and other muslims like Dark Lord and Silver Soul) have been talking with people who have heard we have the book called Quran but i dun think most of the guys here understand how we read Quran or the stuff that some of us memorize the whole text and more importantly why we say we recite Quran and not read it. This vid is by one of my fav Imam recitation to be more precise my second favorite. Its arabic ofcourse as its Quran, I dont know whether or not you guys have seen us pray or heard recitation but the sheikh is reciting one chapter called Surah Noor in the Salah(our Prayer) from his memory.
    Last edited by shaheer; February 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Buffynut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

People fear unknown's anyways, and unknowns that conflict with their known knowns...it's a recipe for disaster.

That's the challenging thing with religion. The faithful are faithful for a reason, and people who think differently find it hard to understand. But I think it's possible. I see it happen every day. Humans should just try better to collectively stop destroying the planet we all live on now. Seems it might be more productive than destroying each other.

I mean, it's like grade school. You don't have to like one another, but keep your hands to yourself. I realize it's not always that simple, but the concept itself is not that complicated.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

KKK is full of bigots though, they hate anything unlike themselves.

I think people fear the unknown that conflicts with their beliefs more. Those who believe in god tend to deny any proof that he doesn't exist just because they want to keep believing in heaven or not be punished by god. I think it's all selfish reasons.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

KKK is full of bigots though, they hate anything unlike themselves.

I think people fear the unknown that conflicts with their beliefs more. Those who believe in god tend to deny any proof that he doesn't exist just because they want to keep believing in heaven or not be punished by god. I think it's all selfish reasons.

You make a valid point. I would agree it's selfish, but it doesn't make me angry they want to believe those things. As long as they don't harm other people in the process, because it's never acceptable to put your will over another, especially if it's harmful in nature.

That's why philosophy is an important study. People like Kant, his writings teach people how to reason through ethical issues, regardless of religion. Do no harm, help those that need it most, it all makes sense. But it's a study that isn't taught, because powerful people don't want a mass of critical thinkers. They want obedient workers, so such concepts are only found by the few that get lucky enough to land at a good university. And even then, the percentage that utilizes such information is not enough to compensate.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Although to be honest, I personally think that majority of the religious people are selfish, praying or doing whatever to look better in front of god and get to heaven. If hell wasn't shown as bad as it is, then people might not be as devout as they claim to be.

And philosophy doesn't help many people, at least in their opinions. They believe god will, whether it's to "pray that victim gets better" or "I'ma pray so I don't go to hell" or something.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that's their choice. And all of us our selfish. Some just show restraint better than others. But I agree with you my friend. The only thing I believe, honestly, is that I don't know. Any of it could be true, none of it. I couldn't tell you. I do know that all we can do is be the best people we can be. Be accountable, and never stop questioning. I'm not one who thinks caring is weakness. I'm one that thinks it's all we have left. It's all we have left going for our kind. The ability to care and to reason.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I think we should just live our lives in a way we want that doesn't hurt anyone. I don't believe in god, religion, afterlife, or whatnot. I do believe in living life as it should be lived, though, but it's a shame others don't believe that. They'd rather take the easy way around by praying, whether to heaven or for success.

Shame we became so advanced.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I think we should just live our lives in a way we want that doesn't hurt anyone. I don't believe in god, religion, afterlife, or whatnot. I do believe in living life as it should be lived, though, but it's a shame others don't believe that. They'd rather take the easy way around by praying, whether to heaven or for success.

Shame we became so advanced.
    Yes. It kind of is.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buffynut View Post

That's why philosophy is an important study. People like Kant, his writings teach people how to reason through ethical issues, regardless of religion. Do no harm, help those that need it most, it all makes sense. But it's a study that isn't taught, because powerful people don't want a mass of critical thinkers. They want obedient workers, so such concepts are only found by the few that get lucky enough to land at a good university. And even then, the percentage that utilizes such information is not enough to compensate.
    To be honest i dont really think Catagorical Imeretive is a valid solution to be honest. The whole premise of lying is bad or helping is Good evades the basic question of why something is Good and why something is bad. Kantenian Hypothesis of his Antimonies argues against God but his catagorical Imperetive proposes moral obligation. I find that to be really mismatched.

As for Religious people being selfish well i would say similar things can apply for atheist. Most of the moral landscape for atheistic paradigm revolves around evolutionary advantage ie you become altruistic just to get into someones pants/skirts. Which is not just repugnant in my eyes but is also selfish in the sense that its not for helping others rather its about getting a better ground in propagating DNA.
    Moral Obligations never is one sided for religious people its about pleasing God for Atheist its about propagation of DNA. Now if some one argues that there is no Moral obligation then its a different thing entirely. But since Kant and catagorical imperetative was brought so i concentrated in Obligation part
    Last edited by shaheer; February 23, 2013 at 01:52 AM.

New Reply
Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 ... LastLast