Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 LastLast
Results 871 to 885 of 891

Thread: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

  1. #871
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    I would agree with Kaiten, he's a punk.

    Dawkins is a condescending prick who has no interest in engaging with religious people but simply reinforcing a circlejerk rather than any thoughtful discourse. His rhetoric is silly and purposefully inflaming. Neil Degrasse Tyson says it better than me.

  2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #872
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Well no, I can't argue with how in-your-face he is with people. He isn't terribly charismatic or tactful in that way. I thought he meant something else.

  4. #873
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Why?!
    He's the Atheist equivilant of Joel Osteen. He's a brilliant scientist, I would never deny that. But he is as close as anyone comes to being an Atheist Fundamentalist. He is the preachy, militant Atheist you were talking about. He even has a best selling book about Atheism, "The God Delusion".

    ---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    I would agree with Kaiten, he's a punk.

    Dawkins is a condescending prick who has no interest in engaging with religious people but simply reinforcing a circlejerk rather than any thoughtful discourse. His rhetoric is silly and purposefully inflaming. Neil Degrasse Tyson says it better than me.
    He's basically no different from the pricks who start flame wars on r/atheism, only with more clout.

  5. #874
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    I know, I've read some of his works and seen some of his specials. I don't care much for his confrontational style, but I still find what he does interesting.

  6. #875
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Well no, I can't argue with how in-your-face he is with people. He isn't terribly charismatic or tactful in that way. I thought he meant something else.
    My main gripe with him beyond that is this seeming obsession with literalism being the only facet of religious belief, and that religious belief sans literalism is not religious belief at all. It's does a great disservice to theology. It ignores both the history and necessity of interpretation.

    But yea, god doesn't exist because there are fossils. /s

  7. #876
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    I do love that clip. Neil Degreasse Tyson has a way with words. I think that quote basically sums up the internet

    ---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    My main gripe with him beyond that is this seeming obsession with literalism being the only facet of religious belief, and that religious belief sans literalism is not religious belief at all. It's does a great disservice to theology. It ignores both the history and necessity of interpretation.

    But yea, god doesn't exist because there are fossils. /s
    To me, it really comes down to how strident he is. It's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing with his argument. I really just feel, at the end of the day, that he is a condescending ass.

  8. #877
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    My main gripe with him beyond that is this seeming obsession with literalism being the only facet of religious belief, and that religious belief sans literalism is not religious belief at all. It's does a great disservice to theology. It ignores both the history and necessity of interpretation.

    But yea, god doesn't exist because there are fossils. /s
    Well, whether what he said there is actually the truth or not is also up for debate and also up to interpretation

    ---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    To me, it really comes down to how strident he is. It's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing with his argument. I really just feel, at the end of the day, that he is a condescending ass.
    75% of it is the accent!

  9. #878
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Well, whether what he said there is actually the truth or not is also up for debate and also up to interpretation
    Whatever the argument, it's as hard to prove god doesn't exist, as it is to prove god does exist. It's a circular debate, no matter what side you take. Reason and logic do not apply.

    Quote Quote:
    75% of it is the accent!
    That's racist.

  10. #879
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Piltover
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    47,223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Whatever the argument, it's as hard to prove god doesn't exist, as it is to prove god does exist. It's a circular debate, no matter what side you take. Reason and logic do not apply.
    That point is sort of moot anyway. Believers and non-believers don't care about it being proven whether he exists or not. "Proof" doesn't even exist as a concept in most cases.

  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #880
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread



    This kinda shit frankly disgusts me. One could argue that nearly all religions haven't contributed anything either.

  13. #881
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    It's quite ignorant and false but that's the internet. It's not really a haven of critical thinking.

    ---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    One could argue that nearly all religions haven't contributed anything either.
    That is only if one limits what contribution means. Giving people a belief system that helps them cope with the rigours of life, I think is a valuable and important contribution to humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

  14. #882
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    I'm trying to say that you can't say Islam hasn't contributed and act like other religions have. I think all of them contributed in their own way. I'm not sure on this, but wasn't Islam the root of Christianity? It's close minded people like these that cause problems, not religions themselves.

  15. #883
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Christianity was many centuries before Islam.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

  16. #884
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Interesting... few people have said otherwise. But Islam has contributed as much to the world as Christianity or Hinduism has.

  17. #885
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Country
    Romania
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    This kinda shit frankly disgusts me. One could argue that nearly all religions haven't contributed anything either.
    Perhaps in the US....but in Europe it has been the main driver of society's evolution for a long long time

New Reply
Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts