Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member silver_soul's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

I love Nouman Ali Khan. Excellent speaker and that video is top. Thanks for posting.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Just read that in a paper here today, the head of the Orthodox church in my country says science and religion can coexist. Probably his best argument was that scientists like Tesla and Einstein were religious. I think I mentioned somewhere before that Tesla thanked God for everything he discovered. This is the best mindset of a human in my opinion. We, as we progress in history are slowly learning more about the secretes of the Earth and the Cosmos, thus learning more about God in the process. It might be a hard concept but it certainly is understandable where people are coming from with it.
    Although I'm a full-fledged atheist, I never really understood why people strongly disagreed with science and religion coexisting. From an article I read, both did coexist pretty well until the rulers made up a rule requiring everyone to take the Bible literally.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akainu View Post
    So this stupid movie... what do you think about it and the reactions towards it?

As far as media reports go here, it seems to be a project later redubbed and now used to stir exactly this kind of violence by a known ... well lets call him offender, who already called for burning the Quran causing unrest in Afghanistan. Aside from his strategy being successful, the protests do seem staged to me .-.
    I just read that this movie actually probably doesn't exist, no one found it yet, just the trailer subbed post-production by this guy. The actors and anyone who were in this movie never watched it and they said that the movie's topic had nothing to do with Mahomet. Its original title was Desert Warriors.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats some thing i was expecting, but bro dont take it otherwise the spelling is Mohammed or Muhammed, Mahomet is a really bad disfiguration of his name. Every one has the right to have his name spelled or pronounced the way he wants. The english orientalist especially during the crusades started disfiguring the muslim names and hence you might still find it in dictionary. But this is gross infringement on ones name esp when its possible to pronounce it well in english.

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that in english it is not the right way, but since we're an international community please bear with others, since in French for example it's the appropriate spelling. No need to get into fights about something like that is there?

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

just came across something really good
    you guys might find it interesting

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed interesting, even though "what if" games in history are complex and he doesn't quite follow his own premise. I guess we would need another thread for that, but to start with, the scientific progress of today would not have been possible without Islam. But even before and after there would imo be such significant changes that bothering with imperialism is a little redundant with the world going a completly diffrent way.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Bringing a thelogical point here, What if question regarding with past and its possible change in present is banned from Islam. So i am not a big fan of the angle of the article but it has good material to measure up different contributions of islamic growth

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Europeans,

I read months or years ago in an article how Europe rarely had fights or serious arguments over religion like America did. Like in America, you will hear people arguing about Christianity being better or atheism is smart and religion is retarded or Catholicism > Protestants. Or, fuck religion/science, science/religion is superior. Is the same true for Europe? I read that people got along and accepted both science and religion, and I think all religion. At the least, I know science and religion were discussed, if not religious tolerance. I hope the article is true and it's only America being petty about this.

Especially since we have idiots like Westboro Baptist doing dumb stuff.

Sincerely,

A Curious American

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the question M3J is that it is too wide and general. As you are doubtless aware Europe is made up of many countries with differing histories and cultures regarding religion. Its hard to generalise Europe in the way you are looking for, and any such generalisations will be seriously flawed. There is a few things that can be considered though, surveys and polls have been conducted across Europe (usually by the EU) to try and gauge the general religiosity of the population. This is a Gallup poll held in 2004 on religious service attendance. There are other polls on this wiki page about peoples views on the importance of religion in their lives .

From the surveys there are huge differences, some countries as a consequence of their history and culture are very irreligious (the nordic countries in particular) while others are not (Mediterranean and catholic states). However it can be safely said that socially in a lot of countries religion is not as big of an issue as it is the United States.

The other statements you made will differ depending on the country. I can only speak with authority on the UK. The UK is one of the few non-secular countries in Europe, the monarch is the head of the Church of England and church officials have seats in the upper house (going into more detail into this will just get confusing). The country is socially secular however. Abortion, creationism etc are non-issues, full and legal gay marriage is almost reality (there is currently a thing called civil partnerships which is marriage in all but name). Religion being used as an argument in itself does not happen on political issues.

Having said all that however religion is still a controversial issue itself. The only difference is that it is no longer used to justify policies. Religious intolerance still exists in parts of the UK. This is all anecdotal so bear with me, there are problems with extreme nationalistic right wing groups who still see Christianity as being a national heritage and are intolerant of other religions (the most vocal opposition to being Islam) and on the other spectrum intolerance from religious people towards people against their belief system or those who oppose it (mainly from radical islamist groups). Both are however extreme examples and are not popular positions within the non-religious or religious populace.

Personally I think you are beating up the US a tad too harshly. You do have some extreme groups, and for a secular nation, a huge hang-up on religion in your politics. There are some intolerant places in the US but the same can be said for Europe, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

...However, its probably better for your blood pressure to be atheist in Europe than the US.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 AM ----------

Also bear in mind when I speak about intolerance in Europe our most extreme cases (Srebrenica which occurred in the heart of Europe) will almost certainly never occur in the United states. It really does differ depending on where on the continent you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Personally I think you are beating up the US a tad too harshly. You do have some extreme groups, and for a secular nation, a huge hang-up on religion in your politics. There are some intolerant places in the US but the same can be said for Europe, the grass is not always greener on the other side.
    Exactly. Milly you live in New Jersey, not Oklahoma or Utah. Evidence of religion can be seen on a daily basis, but the perceived religious fight against science is one blown up by left-wing media. You'll notice right-wing media rarely brings it up, because while some might make the choice to ignore science they aren't necessarily stupid enough to make that fact obvious. And the reason for that is simple, it's almost as alienating to voters to say so in this country as it is to say you're an atheist.

Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

recently I stumbled upon some people making a diffrence between theism and deism, do you think deists are atheists?
    or in other words, what does atheism contain? only not believing in god? in that case deists are not atheists. or does it also stretch to how people believe in god, by wonders, prophetism and all that?

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akainu View Post
    recently I stumbled upon some people making a diffrence between theism and deism, do you think deists are atheists?
    or in other words, what does atheism contain? only not believing in god? in that case deists are not atheists. or does it also stretch to how people believe in god, by wonders, prophetism and all that?
    Not speaking for a religious perspective here, but in actuality they're still somewhat opposite of each other. A Deist believes in a creator, while an Atheist believes in none.

To a religious person though, they might be put in the same category.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

@Milly's question...I think the most important thing to consider is that there are many different cultures throughout Europe...so let me tell you how things go down in this region(central-eastern europe)...

From history we know that the intellectuals of different periods were endorsed by the church, which means that universities, schools, or otherwise cultural life was handled and sponsored directly by the Church...when communism started to take roots in this part of the world, the Church and its followers were persecuted, jailed, executed, not just because of their beliefs, but because they were on the side of free thinking and freedom, which was opposed by the communists...

Not to mention that the church was helping the jews to escape the claws of the nazis as well during WW2...

Throughout this period many religious figures became martyrs, so naturally in many circles they are revered as heroes of that age...

In conclusion religion has deep roots here and is very much respected...of course now that gaining information is very easy, we come to know the darker sides of the Church, so there are many who just lost their trust...anyways people here were raised with the knowledge that the Church helps society and improves it, and there is evidence backing this up, so there's not much conflict...

PS: I'm talking about the Catholic Church to be more precise...I don't really know the others, except that the Orthodox leaders have lots of corruption scandals and shady pasts with the communists...

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well organized religion is more about ethics, also known as, morality, rather than a metaphysical way of looking at things. In the past the metaphysics of the church/religious institution was not questioned a lot, since it was of a supernatural kind. Though morality was the bigger problem, as I have mentioned before because of the focus on morality, and morality is a good way to attack the historical Jesus Christ so it brings up debates. Though the debate about metaphysical arguments is weak, religious people should really consider the views of Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz, Giordano Bruno(ironically enough they burned him but he was a believer) and Thomas Aquinas, since they put forward some really good metaphysical arguments about God.

As for the Orthodox church it is corrupt indeed, the priests here ride fancy cars and stuff and they are criticized about that all the time. I do love the tradition that the East Roman Empire left behind in my country, that is why I love the Orthodox way of thinking, because it takes a lot from the East Roman Empire that had a very interesting view on religion and how it connected it with the everyday human life. That is the key link for any religion make it close, and yet far. A wonderful thing!

New Reply
Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast