Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

That's a better way to put it. I'm not saying all are the same either.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member naruto the best's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Science is the best manifestation of God's creation..

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Uh, not really. It completely depends upon how militant they are with their beliefs.
    No one has ever tried to convert me to science. I guess PBS also has donation drives, but they're not quite as pushy as the church. Big Bird's a boss, I'd much rather give money to him than the Pope.
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 06, 2013 at 12:05 PM.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, to be fair science is not about being converted to. People who take the stance of one or the other or think of science as something you need faith or need to be converted to don't generally understand what science actually is nor what its scope is supposed to be. Religion on the other hand is about being converted to, it is about faith, you can't really prove yours is the one that is true, you need to convince people that the alternative you go for is the better one among a number of other equally unproven and equally unprovable religions. Within science you might have people vouching for different theories however there aren't different schools of science to speak off at large that would be actual science as what it is supposed to be and do.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Converting a religious person to science is pretty dumb. You either convert him to another religion or atheism, not science. Science in no way conflicts with religion or vice versa, nor is it about beliefs or god.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    No one has ever tried to convert me to science. I guess PBS also has donation drives, but they're not quite as pushy as the church. Big Bird's a boss, I'd much rather give money to him than the Pope.
    I was talking about Atheism. I wasn't comparing science to religion in any way actually. Atheists can be as militant in their non-belief as believers are in their belief.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about Atheism. I wasn't comparing science to religion in any way actually. Atheists can be as militant in their non-belief as believers are in their belief.
    Random atheists never try to convert me either. Atheists can get pretty douchy online, but they are hardly unique in that sense. That doesn't mean they act douchy in real life. There is no Atheist equivalent of the Hare Krishina's, or Mormons. I can't act like they are all innocent, I have seen plenty of gay looking pro-Atheism bumper stickers.

Now that we've established that religious people and atheists are both annoying, I think I am going to start a militant Agnostic movement. Our motto will be "And on the Seventh Day Not a Fuck Shall be Given".

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, to be fair science is not about being converted to. People who take the stance of one or the other or think of science as something you need faith or need to be converted to don't generally understand what science actually is nor what its scope is supposed to be. Religion on the other hand is about being converted to, it is about faith, you can't really prove yours is the one that is true, you need to convince people that the alternative you go for is the better one among a number of other equally unproven and equally unprovable religions. Within science you might have people vouching for different theories however there aren't different schools of science to speak off at large that would be actual science as what it is supposed to be and do.
    The scientific method as we know it today is grounded in a combination of empiricism, positivism and pragmatism, where the importance of sensory experience is stressed. There were other rival schools of thought which held reason as the primary source of epistemic truth. And they had a high esteem for Mathematics and logic. The scientific method is highly popular because it is practical in advancing economic ends. Eventually, it all boils down to practicality.
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Random atheists never try to convert me either. Atheists can get pretty douchy online, but they are hardly unique in that sense. That doesn't mean they act douchy in real life. There is no Atheist equivalent of the Hare Krishina's, or Mormons. I can't act like they are all innocent, I have seen plenty of gay looking pro-Atheism bumper stickers.

Now that we've established that religious people and atheists are both annoying, I think I am going to start a militant Agnostic movement. Our motto will be "And on the Seventh Day Not a Fuck Shall be Given".
    Of course not, but you see them on TV and some of them even have their own organizations, which is pretty ironic and mind-boggling. They don't have the same sort of recruitment practices or collective thinking, but I find them just as annoying, if not more so.

Yeah, that works...lul

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course not, but you see them on TV and some of them even have their own organizations, which is pretty ironic and mind-boggling. They don't have the same sort of recruitment practices or collective thinking, but I find them just as annoying, if not more so.

Yeah, that works...lul
    There are also people on TV trying sell me a shoe horn on a stick. It's still a fuck of a lot less annoying than being stopped and asked how I feel about Jesus Christ. If I'm watching a show and an atheist comes on, I act just like I would during a commercial; I get up, and go take a piss.

There's organizations for everything these days. Whey shouldn't Atheists be any different?
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 06, 2013 at 08:21 PM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

There are also people on TV trying sell me a shoe horn on a stick. It's still a fuck of a lot less annoying than being stopped and asked how I feel about Jesus Christ. If I'm watching a show and an atheist comes on, I act just like I would during a commercial; I get up, and go take a piss.

There's organizations for everything these days. Whey shouldn't Atheists be any different?
    Lol. Well usually it's somewhat hypocritical, especially considering what they're complaining about in the first place. There's some mirroring going on there.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Well usually it's somewhat hypocritical, especially considering what they're complaining about in the first place. There's some mirroring going on there.
    No different than the Cobbler's Union, in my mind. Like minded people, gathering together to promote a common cause.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

No different than the Cobbler's Union, in my mind. Like minded people, gathering together to promote a common cause.
    At face value, yes. But it depends on what their aim is. Are they for-profit, etc.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not care if the Atheists are only in it for the money.

At least preachy, famous atheists are intelligent and well spoken. Brian Cox and Lawrence Krauss at least have more to say than "it's in a really old book so it must be true"

Richard Dawkins is a punk, he doesn't count.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Richard Dawkins is a punk, he doesn't count.
    Why?!

New Reply
Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast