Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Shounen Gangan (Shounen Mag by Square Enix)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Monthly Shounen Gangan (Shounen Mag by Square Enix)

Quote Originally Posted by Rena Chan View Post
    Haha...Manga magazines are really not that hard to rip out. For one thing, the glue isn't as thick compared to tankoubons. The stuff nearer to the beginning and the end of the magazine tends to be harder to remove, but in general, you only need to bend the mag at the spine all the way and just pull out the pages that you want (you don't really need to debind the entire magazine, unless you're scanning most of the pages or the entire issue), not one by one though, pull out about 10-15 pages at a time, then separate them one by one after you've pulled out the pages.

Occasionally it's a bit harder to pull out cause the glue is at the page's spine, so you got to thread carefully. This is normally the case with stuff that are closer to the beginning or the end of the magazine.

Oh BTW, I find debinding with the hairdryer or iron to melt the glue then pull out the pages a better method than cutting it...
    Well obviously you have more experience than me with such things, but I thought people used the razorblade method to decrease the risk of tearing the pages when pulling them out. Plus doesn't using an iron burn the stuff on the spine? And when people scan the covers they like to include the spine design as well. I suppose it depends on the person though.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rena Chan's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I've personally never used the iron method, but I've read you need to put a layer of paper on the iron, and it has to be hot enough to melt the glue, but not burn the paper (glue splattering) >__< I personally prefer the hairdryer method though.

You really only run the risk of tearing the page if there is glue at the spine part on the page itself because it's there when the tanko was, well, binded together. Otherwise, you don't really tear the page.

For magazine, that is why you pull out more than one piece at one time. It's stronger, then separate them slowly. I never have a need to melt the glue when taking out pages for magazine scans, they just...well...come off easily after you bend the spine enough.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I've personally never used the iron method, but I've read you need to put a layer of paper on the iron, and it has to be hot enough to melt the glue, but not burn the paper (glue splattering) >__< I personally prefer the hairdryer method though.

You really only run the risk of tearing the page if there is glue at the spine part on the page itself because it's there when the tanko was, well, binded together. Otherwise, you don't really tear the page.

For magazine, that is why you pull out more than one piece at one time. It's stronger, then separate them slowly. I never have a need to melt the glue when taking out pages for magazine scans, they just...well...come off easily after you bend the spine enough.
    Do you notice whether the spine is of higher quality in the monthly magazines compared to the weekly ones? The paper and ink for most monthlies is better than the weeklies obviously, but I was curious how it stacked up. I wonder with a magazine like GanGan, as thick as it is.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, the spine is thicker for tankos compared to those type of manga magazines. I've accidentally torn magazine spines before, but not tankos.
    Last edited by Rena Chan; April 03, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, the spine is thicker for tankos compared to those type of manga magazines. I've accidentally torn magazine spines before, but not tankos.
    Well I know tankoubons are obviously of higher quality, I was just wondering if the the only difference between a monthly and weekly is the width.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Well I know tankoubons are obviously of higher quality, I was just wondering if the the only difference between a monthly and weekly is the width.
    Hm, the width of the tanko? It depends on the sub section(?) really. Tanko size is not related to publisher apparently. The tanko size for let's say...Tales of Innocence which was serialized in Jump Square is of the same size as Bleach serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump, from the same publisher.

For like Fairy Tail and Code: Breaker tankos which are serialized in Weekly Shounen Magazine compared to monthlies from Shounen Rival (Monster Hunter Orage, Out Code, Blazer Drive), the size is also the same.

Tankos for series serialized in Dengeki Maoh (under Dengeki Comics for tankos) is larger than JSQ or WSJ series.

For Gangan Comics (Shounen Gangan series), it's the same size as Bleach and Tales of Innocence, but for Gangan Wing and GFantasy series, the tanko size is the same as those from Dengeki Comics. Those three are published by Square Enix.

Of course, I'm citing from the tankos that I own myself.
    Last edited by Rena Chan; April 04, 2009 at 04:21 AM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about tankoubons Rena, I was referring to the Magazines. Comparing the weekly magazines to the monthly ones.

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ju-da-su's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the weekly, but . . . Rival is around the same size and I just rip it by hands every time I scan (torn a few pages, but mostly, it works fine). I can try it out with Gangan if you want (since I lost to my temptation to buy the magazine once . . . >_>") whether it's alright to just rip it apart . . . :3

I thought magazines are just easy to rip up in general though, easier than tankoubon of course. I never accidentally rip the spine, but I do have it once that a few pages just fell off from my magazine when I didn't do anything to them . . . >_<"

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post

Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about tankoubons Rena, I was referring to the Magazines. Comparing the weekly magazines to the monthly ones.
    ...Oh. Magazines. Well, I can't make a very good comparison , but Jump SQ is thicker than Weekly Shounen Jump, I think, with a bit over 800 pages.

The one I can make a direct comparison though is Weekly Shounen Magazine and Shounen Rival. Shounen Rival is almost double two issues of WSM in terms of size (over 1000 pages), and WSM is about the same as WSJ.

Monthly Shounen Magazine looks to be around the same number of pages as Jump Square.

Shounen Gangan is about the same as Shounen Rival in terms of thickness/number of pages.

As for the width and height measurement, they're the same. The only difference is the number of pages.

All those magazines are easier to pull the pages out if it's not so near the beginning or near the end of the issue, as more glue tend to hinder you there and it's not easy to bend the spine properly. You may need to melt the glue a bit to take out the front pages (why I didn't do it with FT 129 remains a mystery to me), depending on how bad it is. After a certain point in the magazine, it's very easy to bend the spine and you can pull the pages out easily.
    Last edited by Rena Chan; April 04, 2009 at 05:52 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ChaotikZ's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

so ... i've been a member of Mangahelpers for a LONG time ( mostly lurking ) ... and i've been searching for the Star Ocean - First Departure manga for some time as well, but it seems the link KaNx posted ( http://www.sendspace.com/file/jkn6s7 ) is no longer available ;_; can someone post a mirror, if possible?

Other thing, it seems GanGan has released SO:FD specials in 3 magazines ... here are the images from the main site:

RAW Providers 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finestela's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

News that's not really news:

Well, both GanGan Wing and GanGan Powered had been terminated, with some series moved to Monthly Shounen GanGan, G-Fantasy, Online, as well as the new magazine Monthly GanGan Joker.

It's actually fun to see both FMA and Juushin Enbu in Shounen GanGan now...
    Last edited by Finestela; May 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ¬Bol's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there Juushin Enbu in this month's issue?
    °__°

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, FMA had lead CP while Enbu had a CP... and the cover featured both series

http://gangan.square-enix.co.jp/lineup/

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Raiuko's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone!

I’m new here, so I don’t know if I’m in the right place or not (please don’t RAWR at me if I am ><”) but I’m looking for the scans (if they’re out there or someone can scan them for me) for a one-shot that came up in the September 2008 issue of GFantasy? Unfortunately, they’ve stopped printing it so I can’t backorder the magazine orz

Anyway, it’s called “Noel la Neige” by Sichol=Bell (can never work out if the = is meant to be there or not -__-“) If anyone can help me, I would be so grateful!!!!! Thank you! (^/\^)

More on topic, I usually just squash GFantasy mags down on my printer when I’m scanning … it’s possible with the use of a heavy book … or three …. Mainly because I’m not confident with the cutting out the pages thing. It’s only really hard when you’re scanning pages in the middle, but you can usually flatten out the book enough that any shadowing can be cleaned up in Photoshop. ^^

And … I dunno, I buy HanaYume as well, and it’s a bi-monthly, and I’d probably rate the glue strength at the same level as GFantasy (haha) but, I think whether you can pull it out by hand depends on the mag itself, cuz my Asuka monthly magazines fall apart pretty easily after I scan them …

Pleased to meet you!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You're in the right place (well, sort of, you could also try the Raw Request area here, though I personally have not set foot in there for a while

As for the 1-shot you're looking for... I went over to the Share database and searched for G-Fantasy scans in 2008, but I could not find it... So unless someone actually owns the magazine and willing to scan it for you, it's unlikely that there are open source raws out there, as there are only one known G-Fantasy scanner that I know of on Japanese P2P

As far as pulling out the pages debinding goes, there's a trick I use that's been working fairly well (fairly means about 95% success rate without tearing the pages ). Before you do anything, use a blowdryer/hairdryer and heat the bind/glue area for a bit (usually 1 minute would be more than enough). You should then be able to easily (or rather easier) strech the bind and loosen/pull the pages. There was someone else that recommended using a microwave oven... but I never tried that before

Finally, not trying to be picky, but the proper way of calling HanaYume is "semi-monthly", not "bi-monthly", since bi-monthly would (more correctly that is) imply once every TWO months instead of twice per month. Think about paying jobs, where you get paid once every two weeks. You'd call it a "bi-weekly pay".

And welcome to the forum^^

New Reply
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast