Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Manga distributors arrested

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three Arrested in Japan for File-Sharing Shōnen Manga

Im wondering how they were able to get the manga before the release date.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aladar's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three Arrested in Japan for File-Sharing Shōnen Manga

Well, I dont get why he used Winny in first place, since its not safe and probably everyone who uses it knows that..
    Tell me you've been bad. Nice and clear.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Meccamputechture's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga distributors arrested

Even if there are delays to raws, as long as they still come out weekly, it'll be fine.

dgraydivinity.net
    Descendente de Noah

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't do much to people outside of Japan fortunately.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot, but does this mean that the people who distibute the RAWs at this forum are in danger of getting arrested?

Dearly Missed ;__; MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

being strict not only the scanners are in danger...
    they are just part of the chain of people who work with illegal material and distribute it.
    but they are the easiest targets, as without the people to scan we won't be able to start with the rest of the chain.

as to if the ones scanning for us are in danger:
    Sure, but to a very low degree compared to japanese scanners.

Because, the scanners here don't use a way to distribute them that the police already said they would strengthen their hold on.
    Furthermore, they aren't in japan, but in other countries around the world, which makes it even harder

but in the end, we all sit in the same boat, for manga and anime in raw and scanlation/fansub are illegally distributed and altered copyright-protected materials.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But can you really blame those that want to read the manga that comes out in Japan who don't speak Japanese?! There are some mangas in Japan that NEVER make it to America (though almost all popular ones do >>), and online scanlations (or at least the RAW + Translations) are the only way for those people to view them. ^^"

But honestly, if everyone in the world spoke Japanese, I would simply import Shonen Jump for myself and read it every week, basically ignoring people online who wanted to read it (everyone in the world could speak Japanese, so "But my parents won't let me!" wouldn't be a good enough excuse for not getting Shonen Jump imported themselves for me). But even once the manga gets licensed, or an anime gets licensed, it's usually not quite as good as (sometimes horribly worse than) the Japanese versions. So it's only natural for us to get the original versions and have them translated by our awesome members who know enough Japanese.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Vato Loco!'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HikaruYami View Post
    But can you really blame those that want to read the manga that comes out in Japan who don't speak Japanese?!
    Yes, you really can blame them. Regardless of how you feel about manga, it is still a crime to do what they, and we do. NAMBLA can justify what they do and stand for, as much as they want, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a crime.

Still, they had it coming if they only did it to brag that they were the fastest.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Megy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad for the poor guys who got arrested. I mean, just think about it, at one time all of us have probably downloaded one of their raws. We've dirtied out hands as well, but the scanners, the ones that work the hardest for raws, get in trouble.

I buy translated manga and I try to support the industry. I don't want Shounen Jump/Sunday to view us as criminals. We have NO defense for downloaing, we just want translated manga right away. But that's impossible due to copyrights and distribution, and it's damn shame.
    Last edited by Megy; May 26, 2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Grammar, lol.

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Megy View Post
    I feel bad for the poor guys who got arrested. I mean, just think about it, at one time all of us have probably downloaded one of their raws. We've dirtied out hands as well, but the scanners, the ones that work the hardest for raws, get in trouble.

I buy translated manga and I try to support the industry. I don't want Shounen Jump/Sunday to view us as criminals. We have NO defense for downloaing, we just want translated manga right away. But that's impossible due to copyrights and distribution, and it's damn shame.
    They arrested people who scanned the magazines, not those who downloaded them. They couldn't possibly go after each person who downloads them.

Regardless of the reasons why people download scanlated manga, it's still in a gray area as far as legality. That will never change.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Crayola's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    They arrested people who scanned the magazines, not those who downloaded them. They couldn't possibly go after each person who downloads them.

Regardless of the reasons why people download scanlated manga, it's still in a gray area as far as legality. That will never change.
    so i take it that this wouldn't be a good thing to add to my resume in the future
    ryColaa Website ryColaa IRC

We NEED staff!!! Looking for Japanese->English Translators, and a Website Designer

Dearly Missed ;__; MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

as long as you don't mention the illegal part of it....

just put "experience in editing/redrawing/repairing/cleaning black and white art with photoshop" or something like that

Yes ^^...."Extremely talented and well-versed in Adobe Photoshop and good in graphic design" ~Nami

References can be requested at the impoundment archive of the secret service. ~eni
    Last edited by eni; May 30, 2007 at 07:56 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member holmes221's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Then what about MH? Will be taken down in the future? I hope not...

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yoniekai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

as long as we dont touch licensed stuff, this site's okay. back then they killed groups scanning licensed

what bugs me is how can narutofan stay firm all these time without getting killed by the companies
    `(•.°)~

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yoniekai View Post
    as long as we dont touch licensed stuff, this site's okay. back then they killed groups scanning licensed

what bugs me is how can narutofan stay firm all these time without getting killed by the companies
    same reason why sites like stoptazmo, nationalanime, and all the other sites that offer downloads for a premium (or not) of licensed stuff^^

free publicity for the companies, that and well they know that there is more good with having the anime get around and known then to have it not be known and die^^

I'm thinking the reason why the industry is having such a big "Boom" is because of all the sharing that is going around, and how anime is getting to be everywhere...
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast