Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manga or anime?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ubo's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga or anime?

For people that have both read the manga and seen the anime, which did you experience first and what would you recommend for a newcomer? Is the quality of the anime similar to the manga? Are there filler episodes?

Thanks for the help.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted rhapsody blue's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga or anime?

Well, I have first exposed to the anime because one of my sister's friends recommended it. I really liked it and read the manga afterwards.

If I had to choose, I would pick watching the first 13 episodes since they follow the manga pretty closely (not verbatim but good enough). The anime has done a lot of fillers and some are based off the reverse novel. The anime is good if you want to watch the fight scenes.

After watching those 13 episodes, I would read the manga since it's more detailed. It does get kinda annoying seeing the same old thing in the anime (allen battling another akuma) so if you want to see some plot advancement, read the manga.

I hope this helps ^^

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schwindelmagier's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommand the manga. the anime is good (some fillers are not) but the manga is thousand times better and can bring the real atmosphere of the story closer to the reader.
    I have the feeling that the Anime is much more softer and everyone is living in a "peaceful and happy" world.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Definitely goin' with the manga, but I'll check out a few episodes, too.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

the manga defenitely... I advice to read it before starting the anime, or people might get a wrong idea of d.gray-man. The manga story, villains, excrosists, simply the arcs follow each other fast. Better and better they are getting. Hoshino draws it very detailed and very beautiful.

While the anime imo isn't certainly not bad but the fillers don't do any progress in the story, and lots of people who don't read the manga could think:"is this the o so good d.gray-man?"

The animation has progressed a lot since the start of the anime, that's a +
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Proofreaders 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the manga first, and loved it to the point of obsession. After one episode of the anime, I really couldn't stand it, though. I didn't care for the art of the anime (...well, compared to the manga NOW, especially), the voices didn't really fit, in my mind, and the credibility it had from staying fairly close to the manga was lost with all the fillers (which were mostly annoying).

...My opinion is, read the manga and the manga only - but listen to the OST. The music was one of the only redeeming features of the anime.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Defade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Definetely the manga. Hoshino has this...gothic style which may not be apparent in earlier chapters but really improves in later chapters that the anime company failed to copy. Not to mention the hair color changes. The manga is also better in terms of atmosphere, vol 6 is where I experienced that most deeply, while the anime seemed very emotionless in many scenes and the seiyuus aren't the best choices either. Plus the anime is busy putting out random sucky fillers while the manga is still continuing with its awesomeness.

I do agree with D_E, do try to listen to the OST. The music really does fit the story and is the only aspect that I really liked about the anime.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member RainyFrog's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I first read the manga, and even though I'm caught up with and follow the anime, the manga really is far better than the anime. Especially since it's been filler after filler for the past who knows how many episodes. -_-

As others said, the music is quite good, but I also really like Allen's seiyuu (I was pleasantly surprised when I first started watching, because I'm used to having my image of characters crushed by anime voices that are completely different from what I imagined in the manga) and Tyki's seiyuu, too, who I think has the perfect voice for him, and can switch very well between the white and black personalities. However, Lavi ended up being another one of those characters who I felt were ruined by their voices. His voice is WAY too high-pitched and just...extremely annoying. >< He's such a great character, but is millions of times better in the manga. </long rant>

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm through the first volume of the manga and see no reason to watch the anime (I did download the OST, though. Gonna listen while I read ).

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I never watched far enough to hear Tiki's seiyuu, although I've heard him from other series and he is AMAZING. As for Allen's - I just don't think her voice fits. I always pictured him having a guy voice and I still think that would fit much better. I can't imagine him keeping that voice after getting Crowned Clown... so maybe I'll just have to learn to adapt...

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are people are breaking down the anime if 65% of it exist of fillers and 45% exist out of the begenning arcs. The best arcs still need to come in the anime, and I am certain they'll do a good job (maybe the reason for the fillers, so a team is working on it)

proof: the episode with tiky and road fighting general yeegar was relly well done
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Except that episode was completely made-up: none of that happened in the manga. It isn't even sure that Road had a part in the general's death, only that Tiki did. I like it when an anime follows a manga nearly perfectly - even fillers aren't as bad when that happens. It's episodes like those that I find to be the worst part of the anime.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kimishi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the aniime first, but since the manga is always different read it after words. The anime has alot of fillers, but the animationI think is relaly good, they got the voices just as I imagened in teh manga. The manga is definetly a must read if you like the anime and vita versa.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Meccamputechture's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I did it the snoogen way.

Watch the anime first...realise how awesome it may possibly be and switch to the manga. Read the manga. All of it (afterwards)!

dgraydivinity.net
    Descendente de Noah

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

now that i've read every chapter released so far, i think i'll watch the anime and skip all the filler episodes, just like i do with One Piece. I'm thinking some of the battles will be amazing animated.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast