Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: Which side do you look forward the most in Starcraft II?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protoss

10 47.62%
  • Terran

5 23.81%
  • Zerg

6 28.57%
New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The StarCraft 2 Thread (also includes original version and expansion packs)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xsoteria's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The StarCraft 2 Thread (also includes original vesion and expansion packs)

I played a bit of the campaign on my friend's PC and it's bloody brilliant. One of the best campaigns I have ever played in a RTS. The cinematics, the action, the gameplay, plot, soundeffects ... This game has it all.

I was a beta tester for SC 2, and I'm a Protoss player so naturally I'm looking forward to their campaign, even though it will be the last one. I'm sorry to say that the balance is more in favor of the Zerg and Terran, so Protoss really is lacking in the number of players on Battle net right now, but hopefully that changes by the time I buy the game.

I'm an old StarCraft player and multiplayer is something I'm definitely looking forward to in this game as well. I'm worried that it wont be as balanced as the original SC seeing as how Blizzard messed up WarCraft's balancing, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

tl;dr - awesome game, you should play it if you ever liked a strategy
    Brigands demand your money or your life; women require both.
    Better be nice to them

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again I'm playing alot of Starcraft 2. I had a beta key early on and really played alot during beta time, less since release but right now I'm training alot again.
    I was playing Terran since the very start and I'm following the esports community closely as a former not-too-shabby CS 1.6 player, so campaign was very easy (I love that Kerrigan Avatar for all brutal missions), yet some missions were kinda tricky. I love that since there are many RTS games that are just totally easy mode once one has a bit of experience. Unusual for Blizzard, I think the story and characters totally suck. Maybe reading Naruto spoiled me too much, but those characters are sooo flat and stereotype, I'm not the first one to complain about them seemingly beeing designed for six year old children.

Regarding multiplayer, I just recently got into diamond league and still have less than 50 1on1 laddermatches, I guess that's less than I played during beta each week. SC2 can be kinda stressful in 1on1 ladder so I enjoy playing 2on2 ladder as random race.
    I see the last post is a bit old already, so regardings the balance: Zerg definitly lacks a unit right now, they have too few available tactics what's unusual for a game made by Blizzard. Especially Terrans have an advatage over Zergs. Terran and Protoss seem fine though if they play against each other. Koreans say Protoss is a bit too strong, Europeans say Terran is a bit too strong, but overall they compare rather equally.

Is there anyone following the tournaments at the moment? GSL in korea is really nice, once again Korea seems to have alot of high class players this early on. I'm thrilled with Dario "TLO" Wünsch's progress since he's one out of only two remaining foreigners and from germany as well, he passed Round of 64 yesterday quite easily and I hope he can qualify for GSL

In case there's anyone on the European server who's looking for some fun/trainingsmatches or 2on2 ladder (I play with anyone regardless of your experience/skill ) -> my identifier is Teekessel.793, just add/whisper or send me a pm.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; September 11, 2010 at 06:49 AM.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

TLO is brilliant...I never seen somebody who could get so far playing random for a long while...he switched to terran IIRC...

I've never really been a starcraft gamer, but I played SC1 back in the day a bit...just to finish the campaigns...I'm replaying them now, but I have to say there's soo much difference between SC1 and SC2...I mean the campaign part...the story was made soo well...I was completely overwhelmed by the graphics ,the gameplay and the way the story got connected to the first and brood...excellent game...

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the game but unfortunately my computer can't handle it. I have nowhere near enough ram to play the damn thing. Hopefully someday though. If someone has suggestions (other than setting every plausible option to low), I welcome them.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xsoteria's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

^Well I don't know what your configuration is, but my PC is pretty shitty and the problem I have is not with RAM but with graphic card and processor. I have 2 gb RAM and it seems to be quite optimal since a friend of mine with same RAM and better CPU and graphic card plays the game quite comfortably, unlike me, who can only play on the lowest settings.
    Brigands demand your money or your life; women require both.
    Better be nice to them

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a measly 1 gb.... There could be other problems however at the moment I wouldn't know. I can run the game, it just lags quite a bit.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ --> Choose "Starcraft II" and press the "canyourunit" button. Agree/allow Java to run, it will scan your hardware and tell you if you can run it or not depending on your different system components. e.g. you can't run it because your Ram is 512mb, then it will tell you that, and give suggestions on upgrades to buy. Both for Minimum and Recommended requirements.

I guarantee the safety of that site.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I have a measly 1 gb.... There could be other problems however at the moment I wouldn't know. I can run the game, it just lags quite a bit.
    I played it one low stats, but with a 2GB PC...at least 2GB are required to play newer games...it lagged here and there, but I didn't have any problem with crowded battles and such...so buy another extra GB and it should work...

Does anyone follow GSL? The gameplay improoved soo much, it cannot be compared at all with the Beta period or even early GSLs...awesome shit

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually replaced my 5 year old computer now and got to play the game. Good stuff although I was a tad disappointed at the multiplayer maps. Most of them were not half as good as warcraft III maps or even as good as the original starcraft maps. I guess it will be a while until the maps are decent. Anyways, I did thoroughly enjoyed the single player campaign. Interestingly I won almost all the missions with marines, medics and drop ships lol. Somehow medics and enough marines just made short work of almost everything I found. I loved the mission with the laser beam, just seeing the protoss buildings get destroyed in 4 seconds was great. I can't wait to see the zerg campaign. Kerrigan seems to have regained her human form but according to blizzard the zerg campaign will be about kerrigan strengthening the swarm and regaining control which is kinda strange. I do think she will show a bit of a change in her personality though, something in between her original human self and her brutal zerg self. Wonder how rainor would react to that..... Another interesting thing is the protoss side quest. Wonder who is utimate bad guy.... he disposes of the terrans, kills the protoss and then gets rid of the zerg he controlled. Is it really a zel naga?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What difficulty did you play campaign in? Although it doesn't really matter actually, people told me that mass marine-medic worked in Brutal difficulty, too. I played it on brutal with the "normal" way, lots of siege tanks and stuff.
    The Multiplayer maps seem absolutely fine by now. Of course it depends what kind of map you preferr. Steppes of War is really too small for much of tactics, but Xel'Naga caverns is pretty nice, and Shakuras Plateau is a really huge map where you can take a lot of expansions.

@ Benelori: Yeah I followed most of GSL, and currently IEM are going on at Cebit!
    http://tv.esl.eu/de/
    SC2 is live on Event Stream 2 (in english) and (GER) Studio 2.

Are there any players who play SC2 on european server here? I guess kkck will have his on american server?

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished SC2 campaign in bruta; with just mercenaries...they are really useful, too bad the single player doesn't allow it...
    @kkck...I liked the protoss side-quest the most...it gave a good twist to the overall story...we will definitely see some of those events from zerg point of view so it will be cool...

Anyways...does anyone have some expectations from the expansions? Like in gameplay or new units or something? There are quite a few developments in map and unit control, compared to Brood, but can such things be more developed?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Bene you're on european server, aren't you? Wanna play some matches these days?
    My account is Teekessel.793

I think there was a short display of one or two new units. One of them was a zerg units with a bunker (yeah, really, a terran bunker) on it's back which can burrow to allow the bunker to attack.
    Looks like a silly version of the good old Lurker.

Omg the Intel Extreme Masters tournament just got totally out of control and time-frame, after three players of group B had a three-way-tie
    Socke (Ger), Sjow (Swe) and Squirtle (Kor) were tied so they had to play tie-breaker matches (each playing one match against each other), which ALWAYS resulted in ties, too, because everyone always lost and won one match each.
    Ultimately the Korean won in the fifth round (!) of tie breakers...

Was really epic, had 25.500 viewers on the ESL stream
    Blai and me had a lot of fun with that :>
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; March 02, 2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. I've followed IEM for some years, as well as OSL, MSL, GSL etc but this must have been the most intense, and insane group rounds I've ever seen. I was litterary blown away at the amount of times they kept coming back for another tie-break.

In the end we had about five tie breaks I think before Squirtle "evolved into water-turtle" *lols* and took the third place for advancement. Such a majestic play he advanced with though!

Would have been major fun to see players like Slayer to be there today but I blame his stupidity, amongst many other, for the -09 scandal.

Anyway, I expected stronger play from Sjow. Yeah it sounds weird because he was pulling some insane micro'ing, but I still did. He fininshed really good in the last major tournaments and even won the IEM. But I guess it can't be helped. His strong side is the TvT and he ended up tie-breaking against two P players and he faced korean Zergs in the group round so not much to do there since that's his worst match-up.

However, MorroW is still there (advanced from group A iirc) and he's playing mOOn-GLaDe tomorrow for a semi-final spot and I can't wait to see that game! IdrA vs Squirtle is a game I can survive missing, watch the replay instead but even so - it's going to be a good game. Not that MorroW is my fav. Swede (Jinro is) but he's the only Swede left so I need to keep my hopes up!

Oh, and not to forget, Dreamhack Summer and the super-awesome MGL starts in April in Dallas and then Columbus!

Can't wait to see players such as Mvp again!
    Last edited by blai; March 02, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    What difficulty did you play campaign in? Although it doesn't really matter actually, people told me that mass marine-medic worked in Brutal difficulty, too. I played it on brutal with the "normal" way, lots of siege tanks and stuff.
    The Multiplayer maps seem absolutely fine by now. Of course it depends what kind of map you preferr. Steppes of War is really too small for much of tactics, but Xel'Naga caverns is pretty nice, and Shakuras Plateau is a really huge map where you can take a lot of expansions.

@ Benelori: Yeah I followed most of GSL, and currently IEM are going on at Cebit!
    SC2 is live on Event Stream 2 (in english) and (GER) Studio 2.

Are there any players who play SC2 on european server here? I guess kkck will have his on american server?
    I didn't play in brutal, I just played in hard difficulty at most. The only mission where I did not make it with the marine/med combo was the very last one though. Kerrigan would just mow any number of marines easily lol. I even had 10 tanks defending a side and kerrigan would just use a spell and kill most of them. The side which kerrigan did not attack was extremely easy to defend though, a few tanks and bunkers really can defend anything lol. I am not currently playing starcraft II though. I had my fill of the campaign and the multiplayers and uninstalled the game from my computer because it took too much time. I also did not like the custom maps very much. Very few maps actually had people playing them at all and it always showed the same maps... I was expecting something like warcraft III as far as custom games go but it seems even starcraft I had better ones.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Event stream 2 shows Idra vs Squirtle now (quarter finals of IEM).

@kkck: Well SC2 isn't out for a long time yet. Both WC3 and SC:BW took their time until the "genius" funmaps were released, too.
    SC2 already has quite nice ones, such as colonial line wars, battlecraft, Star Battle, PsychoMC's Last Stand and some more.

About the infinite three way tie:

19. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast