Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Which side do you look forward the most in Starcraft II?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protoss

10 47.62%
  • Terran

5 23.81%
  • Zerg

6 28.57%
New Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The StarCraft 2 Thread (also includes original version and expansion packs)

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The StarCraft 2 Thread (also includes original vesion and expansion packs)

Well, I guess the raven does work but I do think it is mostly because the science vessel abilities were split between ghosts and battle cruisers(except for irradiate). I guess using EMP shockwave against the protoss should be a lot faster than what it used to be and there should be more shots available as you are more likely to have more ghosts than what you would have had science vessels. Basically since the science vessel abilities were split between other units the raven is still indeed a bit of an addition. I still don't like its missile and turret thingy though. I guess they do make good support as a summoner of sorts but I would still prefer actual spells.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter-Seeker-Missile is pretty strong and it requires even less tech than Science Vessels did for Iradiate. It's just that nobody could afford the gas for several ravens anymore. Science Vessels didn't have a single spell exept for the shield one iirc without research even.
    I think Vessel and Raven are relatively even ultimately, it's just the two factors that make the difference:
    1) Less detection required vs Zerg because there are no Lurkers
    2) Less gas available for tech units, more required for army
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Just felt like sharing two of the most epic SC2-related "troll" or fun posts:
    "The Hydraroach"
    Terrans - A Race for Real Men

About actual SC2:
    -I'm currently switching from Protoss to Zerg. Perhaps completely, perhaps just a little Zerg really is very different from P and T so it took a little to adjust to it, but I can beat platinum players safely and diamond players at an acceptable rate now.
    For beginners, just playing Roach-Hydra-massss infestor is really great. Playing many Lings is a little more complicated, because it means to not ever miss a single larva inject on queens.
    Macroing really is hard in later game, I never have enough Hatches and don't inject enough, I'm often ending on 2000 minerals x_x
    -I don't find much time to play and don't ladder at all Sitting at low master league rank, only playing custom games.

---------- Post added May 31, 2011 at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was May 16, 2011 at 07:48 PM ----------

Should've posted it right here

SC2 Heart of the Swarm Info

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Fairly interesting stuff. If that is true then I would actually be surprised about there being other sentient creatures besides kerrigan within the zerg. I always thought that before kerrigan the sole sentient creatures were the overmind and celebrates and with the demise of the overmind and the eventual slaughter of the celebrates it was kerrigan who was the sole consciousness behind the zerg. I guess this makes things more interesting plotwise as the zerg could be a bit more than ferral creatures with a puppetmaster in this scenario. I am still curious as for how the deinfestation affected kerrigan's personality, I thought that particular event would lead to her regressing a bit towards her older personality.
    It seems she is forming a totally new character now, just based on the scrambles of memory she still has. It's certainly gonna be interesting to see her acting now.
    As about independend Zerg creatures: I think that independency was once said that this is the gift that Kerrigan brought to the Zerg. That might've been back in Broodwar campaign, possibly.

Btw: Most info this trailer provides, and that everybody had been looking for: Kerrigan's new hair style! I approve of it
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; May 31, 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it would make sense if kerrigan's personality ends up being something in the middle between her former human self and her zerg self before her infestation. I do recall the overmind making a mention of kerrigans personality but in turn he also did mention she was bound to him as any other celebrate. Or maybe you refer to the bit of her being the key to freedom from the voice in the darkness?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I guess it would make sense if kerrigan's personality ends up being something in the middle between her former human self and her zerg self before her infestation. I do recall the overmind making a mention of kerrigans personality but in turn he also did mention she was bound to him as any other celebrate. Or maybe you refer to the bit of her being the key to freedom from the voice in the darkness?
    Dunno exactly, but it was about her beeing the one to bring freedom to the zerg. A somewhat democratical thought, after they have always been mindless creatures ruled by dicators so to say

It seems you are right about her beeing somewhere between Zerg and Human. Some previews on German pages said that it is possible to develop Kerrigan's abilities during the campaign, and during that she ever becomes more human looking or more zerg like. In most extreme case she can look as Zergy as she did in Wings of Liberty.

HOTS-Campaign will have 20 missions, and Kerrigan will always be part of the player's army. She can't pick up equipment or something like that, but become stronger (more hp, cause more damage, gain more energy, cast better spells and so on), to add a little bit of an RPG touch to it.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

In an interview Blizzard (Dustin Browder in this case speaking for them) say that they were totally amazed by how players would use units, especially:
    -MarineKingPrime (MKP) who showed how Marines can be used against Banelings (by splitting them up rapidly, so that banelings only kill single Marines and thus aren't cost effective anymore)
    -NesTea as the best Zerg, who actually performed a spine crawler rush versus Protoss and won because of that. (He played a super fast tech against a forge/cannon expanding Zerg, used an overlord to create creep in front of the Protosses' base and built spinecrawlers there )

We might see a Nestea or MKP tribute mission in HOTS, who knows

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I would find it a tad strange for us to be able to have that much control over kerrigan's evolution. I could understand us choosing some things but in turn going to deep into that would seem like something that could have a big impact in the story. Any amount of control we have over how kerrigan evolves can't be so significant that it will have an impact in the story for the sake of future coherence. Kinda like how nova/tosh storylines won't have an impact in what happens in later expansions.

The overmind did see kerrigan as the path to freedom for the zerg, that was the whole point of making her right? I do recall a previous trailer saying something about the zerg becoming more than what they are. I guess it is plausible for such a thing to happen if there are zerg within the swarm outside of kerrigan, celebrates or overmind who have personalities and wills of their own but I would still consider it too far fetched that every zerg out there has an individuality. I just can't imagine zerglings and banelings as more than ferral creatures lol. I wonder if perhaps a new overmind of sorts will be naturally born from the zerg though, that would make sense. If I recall, the original overmind was made by the xel naga from the collectiveness of consciousness of the zerg. In that sense even the original overmind was something in a few ways foreign to the zerg. The zerg are psionic creatures so perhaps at some point their collectiveness will once again form something like that except that it would be something completely natural to them without any external origins. I see it as a disenbodied consciousness so to speak, in that sense the zerg wouldn't be susceptible to being taken over by strong enough psionic creatures.

That said, how cannon are the starcraft novels? One of the novels actually reveals quite a bit about the xel naga and I really don't know if it actually counts within the starcraft universe. One of the novels mentions the xel naga and extremely long lived species who do not reproduce at all. Instead of that the next generation of xel naga is made by combining species with purity of form and purity of essense. The process itself is not some derange insane experiment but rather something about as natural as breathing is to us. The xel naga before being destroyed by the overmind did seem to finish their grand experiment as both the protoss and zerg had purity of form and essense so the final step is that both species will at some point naturally merge into the next iteration of xel naga. If this is the case then perhaps the zerg becoming something more in the next expansion is the final step before the zerg and protoss merge and become the xel naga. The hybrid we have seen so far is not what the xel naga had in mind when they were experimenting but rather it is an gross deviation from what they plan. I was thinking that perhaps the final expansion will deal with the actual merging of the zerg and protoss into xel naga. rather than having some huge army with terrans, protoss and zerg fighting for survival perhaps the last expansion will be about the final merger of both species as the means to oppose the hybrid. I guess the voice in the darkness not having control of the entire zerg (which is apparently already strong enough to take over the universe a few times) will play a big part too lol.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I never read the novels, I don't even bother much about the lore, anyways. Only about how to play the game right

It's indeed kinda weird that we have so much control about her developement, but after all it's only about having an interesting campaign.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

By the way, an interesting hint: It is possible to very easily change languages for SC2!

Step 1: Put a file containing one of the language codes into the folder: StarcraftII\Mods
    Possible language codes are (amongst potential others): enUS (US English) enGB (Britain English) frFR (French) deDE (German) esES (Spain) esMX (No idea) ruRU (Russian) koKR (Korean) zhCN (chinese) zhTW (taiwanese chinese) plPL (polish) itIT (italian) ptBR (brazilian portugese, I think)
    For example, you can put a file named "koKR.txt" (a simple text file) into the folder, to get Korean language pack.

Step 2: Run Starcraft II\Support\Repair.exe
    Now it will first check your files (this will take quite a long time, like 30 minutes!) and recognize your languages (for example: If you originaly installed enGB and added koKR now, it should tell you Languages: enGB, koKR now).
    Afterwards it will download the Korean language files, because it considers them missing!

Important note: The repair will take a long time, like 30-120 minutes, depending on your machine. It however is possible to interrupt it and continue later, no problem. However: You will not be able to join an SC2 match before the repair is finished!

Step 3: Go to ""Documents/Starcraft II/Variables.txt"
    There are two variables in there, called "localeidassets" and "localeiddata", both followed by one of the language tags listed above.
    Locaieidassets controls all audio files, localediddate controls text. If you now for example leave localeiddata as "enGB" but change "localeidassets" to "koKR", you will have English texts and Korean audio.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I never read the novels either but I did read that in the starcraft wikia which sums up the stories pretty well. For me it was the opposite though, I got the game for the story and perhaps the custom games. The actual game is obviously awesome but for some reason I never got properly into it.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, yeah, the entrance is quite hard. But since there's this league distinguishing down to bronze league these days it became much, much easier. Basically everyone gets put so that he has 50% wins, because battlenet is really good in searching opponents of same skill level.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Getting into 1on1 SC2 is basically all about just the ability of building enough workers, spending all money and building units constantly:

A very humorous attempt. Destiny (the guy explaining here) is a mediocre pro player and good coach.
    (Here in bronze league, because he uses a second account to get low level opponents to make his point. Obviously he's in Grandmaster League himself).

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Geforce will be organizing huge SC2 competition. Signing up is for free and there will be a pro level competition as well as an amateur one. People can join on the Geforce site.

Husky and day9 also announced it, as they will be the main commentators of the event.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

GSL Super Tournament is currently ongoing. SlayerS is performing extremely well. (Round of 16 coming up: In upper part of the tournament tree, 4/8 players are of SlayerS. In lower part, 1/8 - but an extremely good one )
    It's beeing played starting 11:10 CET during working days.

On GOM TV (also stream there): http://www.gomtv.net/2011super1/
    On Liquipedia: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft...per_Tournament

Tournament tree: http://www.gomtv.net/2011super1/news/65395#

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read something interesting on the starcraft wikia. Apparently kerrigan did disposed of the celebrates but in turn she created queens which serve a similar purpose. In that sense the queens are indeed smart and have their own personalities. I guess kerrigan is not the sole intelligence behind the swarm and she had the liberty of creating creatures with individuality like the overmind did.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting pics, seems to be an infested planetary fortress - artwork, not model obv.:

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I knew they were considering an infested bunker but I would think an infested planetary fortress is a bit much. I don't think we would see that added to the zerg build tree but in turn it would be an interesting possibility for the story lol.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In Broodwar it was possible to use Zerg Queens (the flying caster units which nobody played back then, not the SC2 type queen everybody builds) to take over Command Centers with <50% health and use them to build infested marines

About the Bunker unit, I'm not so sure but it sounded like it could be a unit that burrows below buildings and then takes them over - at least it sounded so when they showed it in the preview. Maybe this was actually planned to work on CCs and Planetaries, too ^^

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this would be interesting for a few people
    http://kotaku.com/5918831/starcraft-...is-99-complete

I do wonder about the release date. What would make the most sense is to release it for christmas but considering there is not even a rumor about a holidays release it probably won't be the case. Perhaps they will wait for a summer release?

New Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast