Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: k-dom monthly manga

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

k-dom monthly manga

Once per month, I will try to tell here my manga and manhwa discoveries, coups de cœur or deception.

So for the first post, one for each demographic

Shounen :

Sengoku Youko by Satoshi Mizukami

This is not really a discovery, I talked about it in the ‘what are you reading next’ thread quite a few weeks ago. But there has not been really anything interesting new on this side for me. I’m not that much a fan of new Jump serie Bulge so far. Only Again !! and Yamada-kun are series I wait for but I will save them for later.

So back to Sengoku ; Mizukami is the mangaka of the more famous Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. What makes a human, what makes a demon ? What is the limit between good and bad ? Can we do everything for love or strength ? Those questions which tend to be stereoptyped in Shonen are given here a very strong place right from the start.

Seinen :

Saturn Apartments by Hisae Iwoaka

I found this title a few days ago by chance. The art is lovely and I tend to appreciate manga with space theme. I’m only at volume 2 start so I can’t make a global opinion yet but so far it is quite good. I'm afraid the scanlation is dropped but the volume have been published in French so I hope to find them...

Shoujo :

Dengeki Daisy by Kyousuke Motomi

Well I think this is one of the most popular shoujo already but I had put it in hold and just started to reread it a few weeks ago. I love the humor of this Shojo and the characters are really likable. Rereading it was no bother at all which is always a good indication of a good work. So if by miracle you like Shojo and you have not try this one then please do.

Josei :

Probably the section with the most good catch recently but for the first post I will give one of my old time favorite. Especially since last scanlated chapter is probably one of my favorite chapter all manga counted. I save Kids on the Slope and Chika Umino works for later when I will have completed them.

7 seeds by Yumi Tamura.
    This manga is one of my biggest frustration recently, first Kana who stopped the French publication, then the josei awards which give the preference to a stupid pseudo shonen ai (well to be fair, the score was tied). When everything is great in this manga, the art, the plot, the pace, the characters, their growth.

Web comic :

I have the impression that this genre is only followed by the Manhwa action fan members. That is quite sad because there are quite some gems there who could be loved by everyone. Even if I must admit I really like Tower of God. SIU seems to be an author who knows where he is going and his universe is so rich and complex, I can only be in awe. Only the art is a bit to static to my taste.
    But to be less mainstream, my favorite manhwaka in term of web-comic is Il-Kwon Ha. His series are always relatively short, really interesting in term of plot or drawing and with a little salt of humor.
    Last edited by k-dom; October 28, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: cf cearon post below

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Time travel

One of my favourite manga of all time is "Quartier lointain", so I'm always curious about time travelling plot.
    Recently two of the series I have started focus on this theme :

The shounen Again!!. A running serie from Shounen Magazine about an asocial high school boy who has to restart his 3 years again and tries to improve his fate. Unfortunately the releases of this serie are not as regular as I wish they were since so far it is quite entertaining. The cast is not that original, but the theme of the cheering squad is on the contrary rarely used making for it.

Jin is a completed Seinen and Easy going scan has started to scanlate it recently. The story here is about a doctor who is transported to the Edo era before Meiji reformation. So contrary to the other two which were more a reflection on the main character life and how to redeem oneself, this one is more about the technology gap. Indeed Jin does not bother with time paradox issue and does not hesitate to bring modern medicine knowledge to Japanese who have just started to open their country to foreigner. After only 3 volumes, the consequences of his choice are yet to be revealed and the plot has so far been more focus on medical issues than historical aspects but I hope it will come later on.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: k-dom monthly manga

I wanted to make a bit more recommendation since I forgot to post in September but the last manga I catched up made me forget all the others.
    Dorohedoro has come immediately in my top favorite manga.
    Originality, great characters, suspense, good art, a bit of crazyness : this manga has it all. In fact it makes me think to a film of Tarantino. Reading Dorohedoro gives exactly the same type of pleasure than watching one of his film. Even if the story is a bit gory, the dark humor makes you forget about it.
    Also I would advice to read it in volume. Each one start with beautiful color pages and end with a bonus story which is always very funny and out of place. The last pages 'what we learned in this volume' are also a very clever idea.
    So if you like seinen with a dark world but not a depressive atmosphere Dorohedoro is for you.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Once per month, I will try to tell here my manga and manhwa discoveries, coups de cœur or deception.

So for the first post, one for each demographic

Shounen :

Sengoku Youko by Satoshi Mizukami

This is not really a discovery, I talked about it in the ‘what are you reading next’ thread quite a few weeks ago. But there has not been really anything interesting new on this side for me. I’m not that much a fan of new Jump serie Bulge so far. Only Again !! and Yamada-kun are series I wait for but I will save them for later.

So back to Sengoku ; Mizukami is the mangaka of the more famous Zatch Bell. Zatch Bell was already in my top list of favorite Shonen but this one will probably surpass it if it continues to be this good. What makes a human, what makes a demon ? What is the limit between good and bad ? Can we do everything for love or strength ? Those questions which tend to be stereoptyped in Shonen are given here a very strong place right from the start.
    the list is great ; but this sentence wasnt a mistake i would have expected from you. Zatch Bell is written by Makoto Raiku. thou the manga is actually great and i will have to agree with your assesment of having the potential of surpassing Zatch Bell.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I always mix these two mangakas of Zatch Bell and Biscuit Hammer I don't know why, thanks for the correction.
    Last edited by k-dom; October 28, 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

2 volumes of one-shot this time

Super Cruel and Terrible Tales of Mangaka
    This one is a parody of mangaka life. The art is sketchy but the stories are generally hilarious. I wonder if they are so far from the truth sometime. this may be more realistic than Bakuman :-)

Endo Hiroki short stories
    Hiroki Endo is the mangaka of Eden, so expect more drama than comedy for this one. Yet the stories are very profound and touching.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The Weekly Shonen Magazine has to 'nana' titles at the moment and although relatively new, those two are series I enjoy a lot.
    Let's start by the senpai Yamada-kun to 7-nin no majo. Like her previous work Yanki-kun, this is a school life comedy which main character is a delinquent. But this time we have a bit of fantastic since some mysterious powers are involved. Yoshikawa has found the 'lame' excuse that those powers are activated by kissing to make it a hurricane of craziness and seems to have a lot of fun doing it. She has my blessing to continue as much as she wants.
    The second title is Nanatsu no taizai. This is my first manga by this author and it was a really good surprise. The first chapter was interesting enough to make me curious, the next ones had some light humor, a pervert but very powerful hero, the last ones introduced a very quirky one. So now I'm hooked and I'm waiting for this serie much more than Fairy Tail.

Now these two comedies won't take to much of your available brain time, so let's finish by a more serious one. It's beautiful covers had taken my attention for a long time now, add the name of the mangaka of Tekkon Kinkreet and I couldn't resist buying the masterpiece that is Samourai Bamboo.
    Settled in Edo, the story is more slice of life than action, but the drawings are beautiful and the story is a perfect balance of poetry, drama and comedy.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

So for the last few months I have tried to find new Shoujo/Josei titles to add to my reading list but I have been quite unfortunate so far. My main issue is that after a good beginning, I start to get tired of the main character and don't wish to continue further.
    So in order I tried Oresama Teacher, a good comedy but it becomes unnecessary complicated. I tried 2 titles of Satoru Makimura (Oishii Kankei and Real Clothes) but none was really satisfying. Happy Marriage was recommended by Miyamoto recently but the main couple is to much of a caricature of the shoujo couples. Tons of things must interfere in their relationship and it becomes annoying.
    So my hope reside in stiletto heels group which series & and Otoko no isshou have picked my interest but are still in an early stage and 2 series I took the first volumes from the library after good critics by manga-news Piece and Puzzle

Unfortunately I must say that at the moment I have the most of fun with the archetype of the boy manga Kingdom, which survived a scanlation war and provides me with several chapters of crazily dismembered bodies each week :-)

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been following Boku dake ga Inai Machi for a few months now and I'm not sure anyone commented on it here. It's only 11 chapters so far but I like it (Well I'm weak with time travel mangas). The main character is quite interesting. He is not strong but not weak either and therefore has a nice premise for growing up. Also there is a nice twist after a few chapters.

Shokugeki no Souma needs less advertising but it has become the jump shounen I expect the most so I should give it some credits here. It's a really good manga and I'm not surprised it has become a hit. It's not just about the foodgasm it has been famous for, it's also funny and has introduced interesting characters in just a few chapters. "La mayonnaise a bien pris" to use a French cooking expression.

Blue Flor has revived Sekitou Elegy manga which I love and I've been looking at their other projects. Itsuya-san and Tsuzuki wa mata ashita have picked up my interest with their lovely art and slice of life settings. I'm looking for their next chapters.
    Last edited by k-dom; June 16, 2013 at 06:41 AM.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I haven't post here in a while so here we go one for each demographic:
    Shounen:
    I think I have made enough advertisement for Nanatsu so here is another pearl of the Shounen Magazine a bit less known but deserve to be. My Wife is Wagatsuma is an hilarious comedy. Great parody, great WTF moment, cute girl. If you want to spend a good time this serie is for you. It doesn't hurt that the scan team underdog is doing a great job.

Shoujo
    For Shoujo, I'm digging an old manga from Ai Yazawa (the mangaka of Nana): I'm Not An Angel. First I must admit that I didn't like Nana, it was ok in the beginning but then I got bored. That's why this title was a pleasant surprise. The fact that it is not to long is certainly a plus but what catch you immediately is the character cast. Of course they have their teenager drama, this is a shoujo after all but the very relax and friendly atmosphere makes it a very pleasant read.

Seinen
    For Seinen I recommend a serie I have discovered recently Chocolat. This is the story of a yakusa who decide to become a baker and of a spoiled girl who learns about love. Once again, the title surpass its improbable plot with a very good cast. A nice mix of romance, comedy and a bit of mafia action. 6 out of 7 volumes have been translated so far.

Josei
    Always the most complicate to find. Windy van recommended Bokura no Kiseki but even if it is not bad, I didn't really enjoy it as much as her. Instead I would recommend a collection of short stories by Tono :Kaoru-san no kikyou. There have a light fantastic theme. Tono art is very cute and some of them are adorable in particular the princess one which has original view wrt fairy tail

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply