Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread

Hum maybe you already know about this.
    Quick translation :a new serie by Yuuki Obata (the mangaka of Bokura ga Ita) will be published starting of december issue of Betsucomi (in store in mid november). Apparently it's a fantasy about a boy and a girl belonging to immortal clans.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not into fantasies myself but I do give stuff a shot.

the fantasies I've read would be vampire related like Midnight Secretary and Vampire Knight. Oh wait, Fruits Basket would be considered fantasy since they turn into animals of the zodiac.

I was recommended Angel Sanctuary a lot and for many times I tried to read it, and all those attempts would end in not more than volume 3 or something. I also tried that manga... um, where he transforms into a demon or something, it had an anime, maybe, I dunno, and I also didn't watch the anime. lol.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here read dokuhime?

and why is it so dead here!!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Dokuhime? haven't heard of that.

by the way, where's your sig from, Digital dude?

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an original drawing from an artist called Touki no Tsubo, I changed the colours around from the original though.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    Anyone here read dokuhime?

and why is it so dead here!!
    I read a few first chapters. Why?

OH, maybe not many people read shoujo anymore? *shrug*

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

nonsense.

I even feel there's a revival of shoujo... since slice of life anime are doing well right now with all the technological advances and improvements in art and music as a whole in television.

I think back then studios didn't do a lot of shoujo because when animated on TV they would look flat, since they're mostly slice-of-life, and relying on 2D and the animation technology then, it really wouldn't look too good.

But now with the changes in textures and colors, lighting effects, and application of more contemporary music, shoujo and josei are faring better and have more chances of being animated.

what do you guys think?

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the fact that most of the popular girl magazines are monthly has not an impact. At least I think it explains why this forum is not as lively as its shonen counterpart (that and the fact that there is a majority of guys :-)

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    nonsense.

I even feel there's a revival of shoujo... since slice of life anime are doing well right now with all the technological advances and improvements in art and music as a whole in television.

I think back then studios didn't do a lot of shoujo because when animated on TV they would look flat, since they're mostly slice-of-life, and relying on 2D and the animation technology then, it really wouldn't look too good.

But now with the changes in textures and colors, lighting effects, and application of more contemporary music, shoujo and josei are faring better and have more chances of being animated.

what do you guys think?
    Hard to answer this correctly since it has only been a few years when I started watching anime. At that time I didn't know how to access anime or where to get it from; TV was all I have. And here Japanese anime were not, and are still not, popular. They only air big, popular titles, which are mostly shounen. From what I can see ever since I know how I can use internet for this, is that I agree with you, baboysai-chan. I think we see more shoujo/josei series adapted into anime, and worked on splendidly to catch the eyes not only shoujo/josei fans, but also the others.

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I wonder if the fact that most of the popular girl magazines are monthly has not an impact. At least I think it explains why this forum is not as lively as its shonen counterpart (that and the fact that there is a majority of guys :-)
    Scanlation is slow, that's for sure. Releases are slow too, even here at my country. I think that is one of the factors, as well as shoujo fans probably prefer to just squee-ing and kyaaa-ing by themselves than posting at the forum. XD

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Hard to answer this correctly since it has only been a few years when I started watching anime. At that time I didn't know how to access anime or where to get it from; TV was all I have. And here Japanese anime were not, and are still not, popular. They only air big, popular titles, which are mostly shounen. From what I can see ever since I know how I can use internet for this, is that I agree with you, baboysai-chan. I think we see more shoujo/josei series adapted into anime, and worked on splendidly to catch the eyes not only shoujo/josei fans, but also the others.

Scanlation is slow, that's for sure. Releases are slow too, even here at my country. I think that is one of the factors, as well as shoujo fans probably prefer to just squee-ing and kyaaa-ing by themselves than posting at the forum. XD
    Fangirlsl are more vocal than fanboys, At least in my experience. I think the main reason as you pointed out is the slow releases, it does get frustrating from time to time, but hey what can you do, shonen/seinen simply have more demand than shoujo/josei.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

When I visit scan teams' websites I see a lot of titles I don't know

It's rare and hard to see which shoujo title is popular if we base it on MH response alone. I mean, I would assume Vampire Knight became really popular thus giving it an anime, and because of that we made a subsection for it then. But right off the bat, the subsection died. lol. But I would think that a VK board on a VK-dedicated website would have more activity, maybe.

Nodame Cantabile won awards, had two seasons of anime too, plus an OVA I think, and also had a live action drama. Now that is popular. The thread had a bit of response maybe, but I went to another forum which was Nodame-centric and they had more responses there than here on MH.

I would conclude that, if digitaldude said fangirls were more vocal than fanboys, they went elsewhere for it

Plus the fact that more shoujo titles get completed faster despite their monthly releases, since shoujo titles don't last too long unless they're really popular. And don't overlook that we don't have a "Big Three", which are the flagship of the shounen boards- OP, Bleach, and Naruto. That even if other shounen did not have any release, as long as they had these three, shounen boards would be alive and kicking. We have no such counterpart.

---------- Post added October 23, 2012 at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was October 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

Oh I remember that series title now the one with the dark and light angel

DNAngel! hehe. There was a thread of that somewhere here but it was a long time ago...
    Last edited by baboysai; October 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

If I think about it again, actually shoujo has a really big fanbase, and as digitaldude pointed out that actually fangirls are more vocal than fanboys. It is a mystery as to how this thread become so silent.
    So maybe, yeah, this thread is so silent because not many shoujo fans go here to talk about their favorites. They choose to go somewhere else where they surely can get quicker response from fellow fans.
    Also, fangirls tend to talk more about shoujo anime than manga. There is a rise of shoujo anime these days, so maybe that's another reason.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone read the manga switch girl ? It seems quite popular here given it's place in French libraries but the resume let me dubitative so I'm not sure to start unless someone recommend it

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

haven't heard of it. does it have alternative titles?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

New Reply
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast