Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: General Shoujo & Josei Discussion

I'm currently into Kiss and Never Cry right now. It's already complete at 10 volumes in Japan but only 3 volumes have been scanlated so far.

This manga seems so different from what I read of her other work (Kimi wa Petto). This one is more plot-driven, a bit of a mystery type, more technical (regarding figure skating), and a bit of a mind-fuck, yeah. You know, heroines with twisted pasts and stuff. But it's really a very gripping, thrilling story that wants you to know more and more.

Plus, the mangaka's artwork is great. I looked up her other works after reading Kimi wa Petto because I loved looking at her drawings.

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Kiss and Never Cry seem to be an interesting series. I rarely read any series related to sports, but the short summary sounds quite promising for me. *adds to my to-read-list* And that you said so as well... XD

By the way, a while ago I read another series related to ice skating called Ice Forest. I could only read few chapters back then, but it was quite a nice opening. A bit bland perhaps. but I would have read more if it wasn't because of school. Anyone had read that series?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to read that last night but decided against it. I dunno why. I prioritized Kiss and Never Cry. I'm not done reading it yet.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I need josei suggestions, preferably ones with a more dark theme, a bit of fantasy here and there would not hurt much, no love stories or relationship based, they can be but the first part that I said must be the primary thing in them. So suggest away?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say I have seen a josei not based on love or romance. Maybe someone else have a reference for this? :3

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, there are some sports themed and action-themed shoujo. Like 7 seeds (like Lost). Maybe there are others I can't think of right now.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    I need josei suggestions, preferably ones with a more dark theme, a bit of fantasy here and there would not hurt much, no love stories or relationship based, they can be but the first part that I said must be the primary thing in them. So suggest away?
    Not really josei but its one of the more interesting shojou's I've found. Its a dark mystery shojou but the way the atmosphere and the art is handled is simply put a complete outlier from normal shoujo's. You want to give it a try its Coelacanth by Shimotsuki Kayoko its completely scanlated so you can just go to the scanlators site and grab the whole thing. Or go to manga.animea.net and read it online. Only two volumes long so it should be a quick read.
    Last edited by Hamy; November 20, 2011 at 09:29 AM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Anything written by Fujiwara Kaoru would qualify as very dark, and of often fantasy themed. I would recommend starting with her short story collection, Mukashi no Hanashai. Her stories, particularly Fetish, can be very disturbing and are not for everyone. Okazaki Kyoko also writes very dark manga but she focuses on gritty reality, with no fantasy involved. Helter Skelter and River's Edge are all time classics.

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread

Personally I think (good) shoujo and josei series really excell in portraying emotional interactions, though. Like the equivalent of seinen series with heavy pathos...

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well, I think any good romance story should be really good at gaining empathy. It's not limited to shoujo, as I feel this often when I read Mitsuru Adachi's works which are very much shounen.

But that's beside the point, maybe?

Sometimes I just read some shoujo for the "no-brainer"-ness of it all. To destress myself, I should say. But these shoujo lose my interest after a couple of volumes. Most of them I tend to drop after a while as the gags wear off (eg: Usotsuki Lily, Otomen, etc)

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it is a web comic but I think the readers of the josei/shoujo section could appreciate it more than the Manhwa ones, so here is a little advertisement for a wonderful romance about a blind man and deaf woman couple
    http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics...but-love-r3308

I made a discussion thread in the manhwa section in case I'm successful...

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy Dengeki daisy won the best shoujo award at the Japan expo 2012. Probably the best deserved one in the list

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    YES! I'm so happy we have a new sailor moon series. Good thing it's not just a movie and it's not aimed just for kids.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    YES! I'm so happy we have a new sailor moon series. Good thing it's not just a movie and it's not aimed just for kids.
    I can't believe this!! New Sailor Moon anime?

Well, Sailor Moon was one of my first anime. I'm not sure I want another one right now, even though it's new, given the 200 episodes old Sailor Moon anime... But we'll see. Just how far this new one would be different. I have high expectation on the quality of the anime. XD

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I'm happy Dengeki daisy won the best shoujo award at the Japan expo 2012. Probably the best deserved one in the list
    Sounds cool! I haven't been able to check it out... If it follows after Kimi ni Todoke and Nodame Cantabile (?) then it must be a blast.

New Reply
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast