Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleach: a tribute to DBZ !

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bleach turning into another DBZ !

Honestly I don't really notice if any anime or manga I watch/read reminds me of dragonball because I think most artists and authors are aware whether something their working on will similar to DBZ...if not them their editors/publishers/prospective companies. I think most artists will always add a new flare or twist in the story line or anywhere they can to help distinguish themselves from the many action/adventure shonen manga out there. To me the only thing that reminded me of DBZ was the last fight of Matrix Revolution...
    ...wakarimasuka?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin
    As i've stated before I don't think Bleach is ever going to be very much like dragon ball Z. But if it was, would that really be such a bad thing? I mean as long as they keep some variety in the fights i don't think it would bug my if everyone's power level kept going up and up until they are all pretty much gods.

As long as every fight is still based on the differant abilities of their swords then I don't see how the fights could get repetitive. In my opinion the same holds true of Naruto, as long as the battles are about strength+conflicting techniques and styles rather than just strength i'm not going to have any problem everyone becoming ungodly strong and fast. In fact i think i would perfer it that way.
    It depends on how powerful you mean. Do you mean like in DBZ where they were able to destroy planets with a flick of a finger or just destroying a city with a bit of effort? We haven't seen characters strong enough to destroy cities yet (just about the equivalent of a few city blocks I think) and I rather not have them exceed that point. That's the point where things get ridiculous.

Most manga I've read established some limits on what the characters can do. So I'm not too concerned with Bleach and Naruto turning into DBZ (Especially Naruto, where techniques and strategy seems to reign supreme.)
    Urazz: Hey sis what's going on?
    Urazz's Sister: I cut myself.
    Urazz: Take it like a man even if your a woman.
    Urazz's Sister: Ok!
    *Urazz's Sister kicks Urazz in the groin.*
    Urazz: $%^&%(#
    Urazz's Sister: I dunno. I'm sure it's much better to take it like a woman. That was evidence to support my theory.
    *Urazz whimpers like a baby*

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member gigantor21's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Urazz
    It depends on how powerful you mean. Do you mean like in DBZ where they were able to destroy planets with a flick of a finger or just destroying a city with a bit of effort? We haven't seen characters strong enough to destroy cities yet (just about the equivalent of a few city blocks I think) and I rather not have them exceed that point. That's the point where things get ridiculous.

Most manga I've read established some limits on what the characters can do. So I'm not too concerned with Bleach and Naruto turning into DBZ (Especially Naruto, where techniques and strategy seems to reign supreme.)
    Well in Naruto's case, there have been lapses in that model, particularly during Sasuke vs. Naruto. But for the most part, you're right, and I agree with you--the way that the fights are presented and orchestrated by Kubo Tite and Kishimoto make their respective series way different than DBZ, and I think they'll stay that way.

In terms of the limits on power in Bleach, I think we're pretty much there--mostly because of the over-the-top asthetic of the fights. It looks like H-bombs going off whenever people are slammed into the ground, for Christ's sake. Keeping that in mind, I don't really see the characters getting by with more raw strength and reiatsu density--as I've said before, that isn't going to be enough against Aizen.

So I don't think we have anything ot worry about, really...

...WTF is Aizen smiling about? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Random YouTube Comment
    "Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm Bleach is good at aspects of power in characters story, but if you look only at Ichigo, you will see really great aspect fo dbz story line Goku: his improvements to all other characters. In other words, Ichigo is the type which will be powered and powered, and now he stops with his vaizard form, so: shinigami, bankai, vaizard, what will be next huh? Yes, yes, its part of the story but how you look at it, it looks like another power-up transformation from Ichigo.

btw. another opionion why i little more like Naruto than Bleach :x
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dr_ndr's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

i think power growths and new opponents are a must in mangas like these but when it gets ridiculous the mangaka should stop. thats also what i think about DB.
    it gets ridiculous after some point -> SUPER SAIYAN 8721412414265124 :P
    i dont think they shouldnt remove/improve their body limits but it got too ridiculous.
    i really liked the first part of Dragon Ball.

and i have nothing against ichigo gaining hollow powers but it shouldnt get to the point where the hollow inside ichigo follows into a gillian -> adjucas -> vast lord chain each time giving him more and more power.

also naruto was never about raw power. naruto allways had more chakra than other people around but he couldnt control it well enough and learned how to do that. though i think it was a lame idea to have 1000 clones do same thing at same time give him an accelerated growth when he was learning wind natured chakra manipulation. it would be better if naruto learned how to manipulate wind chakra while he is away with jiraiya. they train for 2 and a half year and jiraiya doesnt think its necessary to teach naruto how tecniques are done and how he could use his nature manipulation...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Endrance's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The author of Naruto has noted himself that he draws alot of influence from Dragon ball z, so has his brother who writes some other manga I forget the name of. As someone has already noted, Naruto battles usually depend on how cunning the combatants are rather than their growth. Growth is actually a large factor in the Naruto storyline, look how far Naruto has come since he was a child to adolescence. In comparison to Bleach, the characters within the Naruto universe draw a lot of their strength from inner and emotional power rather than external energy. That isn't to say that this is completely absent in Bleach, because the benefactor for so many power-ups in Bleach is emotions and inner termoil.
    It's hard to determine which is more like Dragonball z, Naruto's latest jutsu is almost a carbon copy of an attack from Dragonball z, with the sole exception being how he executes the attack. Then again, a prime example in Bleach is Yami/Ulquiorra assaulting the real world parallels the invasion of Nappa/Vegeta.
    I think a lot of this draws from anime in general, the bigger, aggressive guy is generally the weaker of a duo, while the smaller, more reserved guy is substantially stronger. Most people just relate to Dragonball z when they see this. I'm sure the author for Dragonball as it's spin-offs had numeros influences as well, so it really is difficult to determine where exactly the root of all this is.
    I'm not getting anywhere with this.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ran0001's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazuya-kun View Post
    Not sure if anyone else made this kind of thread but...
    Have anyone actually noticed how much the author actually focused on Ichigo knowing fighting techniques? Lemme correct that, I mean how much he focused on fighting techniues in the middle of the manga. Now look at it now, it's just a battle of POWER, just like in DBZ. They just threw the whole "battle experience > power" out the window. *Same thing happening with Naruto but let's not get off-topic*

I dunno about you but I would rather see more kickass moves/techniques the character do like when Ichigo was trying to get his Ban Kai rather than just a battle of brawl.
    He's trying to master his hollow tranformation. That's enough for me at the moment.
    BTW the same thing isn't happening at Naruto since most of them are learning/have learned
    a lot of new jutsus.
    Last edited by ran0001; April 22, 2007 at 12:19 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a proud Haruhiist. Join the revolution to change the world!SOS Brigade Rules!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto doenst have that much power ups if you think about it...I mean he can be 100 times more stronger ...and he has to if he wants to be a Hokage....Unlike Bleach and DB Naruto actually does have a story....

Bleach totally doesnt have a story all it does is kidnap some friend and boom a rescue mission...Do u know how absurd that is? And talk about the power ups..It seems like all the captains who are atleast 100 years old are kiddie fries to Ichigo and hell even to all those Arrancars if the Arr...are these stronger how much stronger would Aizen be ...Damn it seriously needs resoning in the story...And one more thing Kuba pulled two fathers out of his ass and made them powerfull characters....

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Evil Mind's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Endrance View Post
    I think a lot of this draws from anime in general, the bigger, aggressive guy is generally the weaker of a duo, while the smaller, more reserved guy is substantially stronger. Most people just relate to Dragonball z when they see this. I'm sure the author for Dragonball as it's spin-offs had numeros influences as well, so it really is difficult to determine where exactly the root of all this is.
    I'm not getting anywhere with this.
    "Aww but the little guy hasn't done anything yet and you know its going to be cool"
    -Homer Simpson-

well along that line anyways.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ran0001's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gwhunting View Post
    Naruto doenst have that much power ups if you think about it...I mean he can be 100 times more stronger ...and he has to if he wants to be a Hokage....Unlike Bleach and DB Naruto actually does have a story....

Bleach totally doesnt have a story all it does is kidnap some friend and boom a rescue mission...Do u know how absurd that is? And talk about the power ups..It seems like all the captains who are atleast 100 years old are kiddie fries to Ichigo and hell even to all those Arrancars if the Arr...are these stronger how much stronger would Aizen be ...Damn it seriously needs resoning in the story...And one more thing Kuba pulled two fathers out of his ass and made them powerfull characters....
    Rescue missions? Naruto has a lot of those too. Over-powering characters? Naruto has them too.Characters who are suddenly revealed as strong? Naruto has them too.

So if you're gonna complain about Bleach, don't do it while praising Naruto. As a lot of the faults you pointed out in Bleach are also present in Naruto . If you're really that much of a Bleach hater and you really have to criticize it,at least point out some faults that only Bleach has. You're being unfair to Bleach. If you don't like it, don't read it. No one is forcing you to.
    Last edited by ran0001; April 29, 2007 at 02:35 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a proud Haruhiist. Join the revolution to change the world!SOS Brigade Rules!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gwhunting View Post

Thats becorse that unlike in Naruto where Naruto knows more of the script and have more to say to it...Ichigo In Bleach is more of an Actor/chesspiece.
    Bleach is far more realistic when looking at this. I know it helps the readers,viewers to know whats going on... but at this time the main character ain't the one pulling the strings.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member LongShot's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

my biggest concern is to "how will the power-ups be applied"...thats was the worst part developed in DBZ

a main character 7875645456484984 times stronger than the 2nd strongest of his group...thats so ridicolous, imho, their power should be somehow close each other to not make the others characters just a bunch of crap that has to be saved all the time

when Ichigo starts to gain power-ups from nowhere and become some god-like if compare to the others, than my friends Bleach become a DBZ

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Vegetoacs's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach turning into another DBZ !

In reading through, the predominant cause for concern seems to be that Bleach will turn into another DBZ primarily based around stupidly delivered powerups....but if we understand anything about Kubo, it's that he seems to be fairly aware of this, as shown by his similar leveling of other characters.

But in recent times, despite ichigo's enormous power boosts, he's been throughly defeated each time. I agree with the person earlier that said if this were becoming DBZ, he would have forced grimmjaw to release when he put on his mask.

Every adversary ichigo has come up against has been to the point of overwhelming. I think the privarion espada were mostly thrown in as levellers to indicate our characters werent being completlely overwhelmed.

But perhaps the reason Kubo put Uloqurria in ichigo's way so soon was to wind the arc down on the note that ichigo couldnt beat the espada through strength alone, and would have to go back to refining his techniques and powers.

Rightly so really, because Getsuga Tensho has been established as the customer's favorite enemy destroying technique since 1904 XD

So what is left to ichigo is to go back and refine himself as a warrior and utilise his friend's strengths as well as his own.

This has been another reason bleach is essentially different to DBZ. We've our hero's fighting back to back against the same opponent. As recently as the latest chapter, we're seeing indications that ishida and renji will take down zael together....DBZ, in every fight, had the people fighting off one on one, no matter what arc.

I think my handle in general indicates i was once a fairly heavily involved DBZ fan XD. I enjoyed the anime as a kid, and perhaps thats why we might have enjoyed it while it was on...simply because we were younger, and didnt expect as much in terms of storyline :P. As one gets older, one wants a more indepth storyline with few plotholes or gimics. The same could even be said for the manga community. You wont see toooooo many manga's now that follow the old DBZ route, espicially if they're to be successful. As a community grows older, does it not expect bigger and better things? Video games are the perfect example here. We can still enjoy the "classics", but really love the new focus on attention to detail.

Anyway, i think thats probably about as far as i can go without digressing too heavily :P It's probably good this topic got dredged back up, given the current plot developments in both Naruto and Bleach indicating that new arcs will be starting/started soon.
    Last edited by Vegetoacs; May 01, 2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner wonderhollow's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see much sense in saying that Bleach might turn into another DBZ.
    first of all, DBZ'z story starts with a villain destroying a planet with one finger.So that set the tone for the power ups, which does not apply to Bleach.
    So far, power ups have had a clear ceiling, and i don't think it will fall into any didiculous category.
    We can say Ichigo this or that, or vatro lordes this and that. what i see is that Ichigo is paying the bill for the fast paced power ups, and the rest doesn't seem to destroy any logic in the world of Bleach, there's plenty of room to explore.

and if Bleach becomes another DBZ in terms of length and emotion, i will be extremely pleased. and if it enjoy it's long popularity, ill be the happiest person on earth.

Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member gao_dargon's Avatar
    Puerto Vallarta,a soon to be pirate port (if everything goes as planed)
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubo Tite's Tribute to Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball

i was looking on the internet and i found this pictures (the other ones r posted on the one piece,naruto and eyshild proper section) and i thought that was a verry cool idea and well hope u like them as much as i do

cuz if he thinks that i know that he is thinking what i think he is thinking then he thinks i know he thiks that, but he dont know that i know that he knows...savy

New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast