Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genin age

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Genin age

Is was just got a short question. At what age does one graduate from the academy, and becomes able to take the test for becoming a genin?

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member abu_89's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Genin age

i don't think there's an age limit in place... :S ... itachi graduated when he was 8 didn't he?
    Proving 1 = 2 wrong
    Spoiler show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The typical age is about 12.

It is also important to note that during the times that Kakashi and Itachi became Genin was during times of war when they where more apt to take in younger genin if they showed enough skill. Naruto and his group came up during peace times, so they really wheren't taking anyone who wasn't at least around 12. In a time of war Sasuke would have probably graduated before reaching the age of 12.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strongarm85 View Post
    The typical age is about 12.

It is also important to note that during the times that Kakashi and Itachi became Genin was during times of war when they where more apt to take in younger genin if they showed enough skill. Naruto and his group came up during peace times, so they really wheren't taking anyone who wasn't at least around 12. In a time of war Sasuke would have probably graduated before reaching the age of 12.
    I agree that the usual age of graduation is 12 except in special circumstances, like in Itachi's case. Itachi graduated from the Academy at age 7 (according to wikipedia). Currently in the manga he is 20 years old, so he graduated 13 years ago or about 2 years after the attack of the Kyubi. Although Konoha may have been letting younger students graduate due to the massive losses of shinobi suffered during the attack, the fact that the Uchiha clan would brag about his graduation at the age of 7 makes me believe this was still a very rare circumstance.

What really astonishes me is that Kakashi, most likely with the rest of his genin team, graduated at the age of 6. 6!!!!! He became a member of a military organization at the age most people learn to read. Perhaps the Konoha leadership raised the graduation age due to child labor laws.
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mendes's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcongojack View Post
    What really astonishes me is that Kakashi, most likely with the rest of his genin team, graduated at the age of 6. 6!!!!! He became a member of a military organization at the age most people learn to read. Perhaps the Konoha leadership raised the graduation age due to child labor laws.
    Yeah thats unbelievable and he was chuunin at 7, right? Could you imagine going through a life or death exam and even win individual matches against people almost in adult age. He even convinced the examiners that he had the maturity to lead genin squad teams made of people with 2 times his age.

I guess they just made things 'easier' as the times of war went trough and they needed as much military power as they could.

What I doubt is that Kakashi became genin along with his team mates. I dont believe Obito and even Rin could become genins at 6, and much less chuunins at 7. He was most likely assigned to another team that lacked one member, just like Sakura probably did to become a chuunin.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

strongarm85 already said it all for me. War circumstances would have been likely to influence the chuunin exams to accept younger shinobi, hence Kakashi and Itachi.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Kakashi was an extremly special case tho because he had the amazing ability to copy other peoples techniques. So he could see a technique analysis it and work out who to do it extremely quickly and now he can do it even faster thanks to his shringan.

Thats the reason he was allowed to graduate not because he was extremely good ninja that could do everything. But because he was good at analysing things and adapting to the situation which is rare among many ninja's. I mean sasuke and naruto are only just being able to do this well thanks to their 3 years of training.

But i agree with the war time idea too would make sense.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

You're forgetting Kakashi was already made jounin before he even had the Sharingan.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people forget Kakashi's Sharingan come after a majority of his training was already finished.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight View Post
    You're forgetting Kakashi was already made jounin before he even had the Sharingan.
    i didn't forget that if that comment was aimmed at me. Alot of people forget that because it was his first mission as a jounin leading a group i believe and he only managed to complete it thanks to obito giving him the sharingan and the 4th of course.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Ripht, the subject here is when is the age one graduates from the Academy and becomes able to take the test for becoming a Genin.

Kakashi did not have the Sharingan when he became Genin. It had no effect on his graduation, becoming a genin, chuunin, or even a jounin.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner wykowsuki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

According to the Databook information I found

The 3 Sennin, graduated at age 6

Gai graduated at age 7

Asuma & Shinzuni graduated at age 9

(for what any of it is worth)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mendes's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wykowsuki View Post
    Gai graduated at age 7
    I thought Gai was a total dropout when he was little. He told Lee he reminded himself when he was his age. According to Gai, although he is now in the lead of many matches against the genius kakashi, he was weak at every aspect when he was young(every aspect except for will to improve, of course)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner wykowsuki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gai said, he became a chunin at age 11

I think Gai was comparing himself to Kakashi when he made those statments, he was only 'weak' when comparing himself to the Genius of his age group, at the time. Just as Lee was trying to compare himself to Neji.
    Last edited by wykowsuki; June 18, 2007 at 04:27 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member OhDearMoshe's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh I think in a few recent years they put an age cap on Academy exams, although maybe they have it so when and exam is coming up you can choose to take it at any sort of age and then that would explain a lot of plot holes that seemed to have occurred such as Naruto failing three times and still being the same age as th rest of the Rookie Nine

Spoiler: Jehuty's words of wisdom show

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast