Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 129 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2003

Thread: The Games Hangout Thread

  1. #1921
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    I really hope the rumors about the new xbox are less than accurate. While I understand why companies would be desperate to fight against piracy what they are suggesting is a attempt against privacy and the billion dollar used game market. Anyways, just a while back I was reading about how microsoft was patenting software so that web cameras would be able to scan the area you are in and find things which infringe copyrights and count the amount of people watching a movie (so that they can restrict the movie if there are too many). At that point I realized the world was insane and also that cauterizing my laptop's web camera was not in fact insane. I barely even tolerate the fact that I can't play starcraft II without internet, I don't think I would ever buy a console that goes as far as the rumors suggest (at least until other saner options are unavailable). My biggest complain though is that standard multiplayer (as in 4 people in a room playing together) is dying at large. If the rumors are true then wii u would be the only console out there that would keep an actual normal non online multiplayer experience.

  2. #1922
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I really hope the rumors about the new xbox are less than accurate. While I understand why companies would be desperate to fight against piracy what they are suggesting is a attempt against privacy and the billion dollar used game market. Anyways, just a while back I was reading about how microsoft was patenting software so that web cameras would be able to scan the area you are in and find things which infringe copyrights and count the amount of people watching a movie (so that they can restrict the movie if there are too many). At that point I realized the world was insane and also that cauterizing my laptop's web camera was not in fact insane. I barely even tolerate the fact that I can't play starcraft II without internet, I don't think I would ever buy a console that goes as far as the rumors suggest (at least until other saner options are unavailable). My biggest complain though is that standard multiplayer (as in 4 people in a room playing together) is dying at large. If the rumors are true then wii u would be the only console out there that would keep an actual normal non online multiplayer experience.
    I don't put a huge amount of stock in those particular rumors just yet. Mainly because in the world of video-games consumer loyalty is such a big deal. I feel like that would be a feature that fans would backlash against and would get stripped out. And even if it was there I think game companies would opt out of using it like most games do with DRM's on PC.

    The tech is there but most companies are more concerned with getting fans to like their games and feel positive about the developer, than they are the potential problems of piracy.

    I don't to much game pirating anymore but I personally find a constant internet connection as a requirement to be a huge pain in the ass anyway. Especially when things on the gaming company's end break down so damn often. Anybody else remember what a nightmare Diablo III's launch last year was because of it's online requirement? I was seething with rage that whole time. The fact that I couldn't play single player because Blizzard decided to buy used servers from some yard sale made me want to resort to physical violence. I can't even image what my reaction would be if a whole console did that.
    Last edited by Jammin; February 07, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

  3. #1923
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Here is new information about the PS4's social feature. You can share opinions with your friends while playing a game. It will supposedly cost 40,000 yens ($400) when it comes out in Japan this winter. That is 10,000 yens less than the PS3 (20 GB) when it first came out.

    In other news, Ouya will release a new console every year according to the company CEO.

    Last and not least, Ubisoft announced that a new Assassin's Creed game will be out between April 2013 and the end of March 2014 (I'm leaning toward the latter or end of the year). The game will take place in a new time period, which means a new lead character.

  4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  5. #1924
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I don't put a huge amount of stock in those particular rumors just yet. Mainly because in the world of video-games consumer loyalty is such a big deal. I feel like that would be a feature that fans would backlash against and would get stripped out. And even if it was there I think game companies would opt out of using it like most games do with DRM's on PC.

    The tech is there but most companies are more concerned with getting fans to like their games and feel positive about the developer, than they are the potential problems of piracy.

    I don't to much game pirating anymore but I personally find a constant internet connection as a requirement to be a huge pain in the ass anyway. Especially when things on the gaming company's end break down so damn often. Anybody else remember what a nightmare Diablo III's launch last year was because of it's online requirement? I was seething with rage that whole time. The fact that I couldn't play single player because Blizzard decided to buy used servers from some yard sale made me want to resort to physical violence. I can't even image what my reaction would be if a whole console did that.
    Well, if companies were concerned of things in that particular order consistently then I would argue things would be a tad different from what we see nowadays. I mean, it is a known fact that multiplayer games(and not online multiplayer but rather as in games you can play with people in the room) sell more than other games however games with multiplayer which can only be played online and no normal multiplayer are becoming increasingly more common. Companies are growing increasingly more worried and more importantly desperate as far as pirating goes and the attempts to control this are getting increasingly more extreme. This is something I am not particularly optimistic about. Companies will certainly try to make their consoles and games less prone to pirating with increasingly extreme measures and in turn there is no single device on this earth that is unhackable. So they get increasingly extreme measures to fight something against which it is impossible to win.

    starcraft II is the perfect example of this. Blizzard went well out of its way to make the game require constant internet connection to play it the way it is supposed to and they completely removed the option to have LAN games. What was the result? The game is pirated just about as much as it would be otherwise and the game was hacked so as to have LAN games anyways. Starcraft has a full blown professional league in korea and even they complain about the lack of lan feature (playing online has had negative impact on some professional matches) they still do nothing about it. You would think blizzard would care a tad more about the professional league of their game (although if I do recall they did have some good reasons to be pissed at them). seriously, how dumb is it that starcraft II does not allow for LAN parties?

  6. #1925
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, if companies were concerned of things in that particular order consistently then I would argue things would be a tad different from what we see nowadays. I mean, it is a known fact that multiplayer games(and not online multiplayer but rather as in games you can play with people in the room) sell more than other games however games with multiplayer which can only be played online and no normal multiplayer are becoming increasingly more common. Companies are growing increasingly more worried and more importantly desperate as far as pirating goes and the attempts to control this are getting increasingly more extreme. This is something I am not particularly optimistic about. Companies will certainly try to make their consoles and games less prone to pirating with increasingly extreme measures and in turn there is no single device on this earth that is unhackable. So they get increasingly extreme measures to fight something against which it is impossible to win.

    starcraft II is the perfect example of this. Blizzard went well out of its way to make the game require constant internet connection to play it the way it is supposed to and they completely removed the option to have LAN games. What was the result? The game is pirated just about as much as it would be otherwise and the game was hacked so as to have LAN games anyways. Starcraft has a full blown professional league in korea and even they complain about the lack of lan feature (playing online has had negative impact on some professional matches) they still do nothing about it. You would think blizzard would care a tad more about the professional league of their game (although if I do recall they did have some good reasons to be pissed at them). seriously, how dumb is it that starcraft II does not allow for LAN parties?
    I think both StarCraft II and Diablo III are both examples more indicative of Blizzard's philosophy than it is gaming in general. The huge MMO success of World of Warcraft greatly effected they way they make there games and it shows.

    Not every company works that way though. Take Gearbox for example. They designed Borderlands 2 specifically with offline multiplayer in mind that was one of their stated development priorities. So that aspect of gaming is not entirely forgotten.
    Last edited by Jammin; February 08, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

  7. #1926
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Dunno, I don't see any coherent reason for them to think a game like starcraft II would benefit in any way from making it the way they did. At least my own impression is that I do not get anything of value from the game having to be consistently online to play. Removing altogether the option from lan is by all intents and purposes unrelated to their MMO.

    I am not saying that the standard multiplayer is lost, all I am saying is that the trends are against it. How many games are released with no standard multiplayer nowadays and only with online multiplayer?

  8. #1927
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Blizzard became greedy, D3 turned out to be shit, most hope is lost. That's the short form of what the community thinks.

    Taking LAN out of a multiplayer game can only be execused as greed. Players will always find some way around the protection, especially the pirates, so fuck Blizzard for that shitty game and fuck them for their current approach towards gamers.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  9. #1928
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Well, it is not just greed. They have a right to sell their product at whatever price they want and to not want to have it pirated however that is not the issue I am pointing out here. Its the actual damage honest and decent multiplayer is taking due to the sheer desperation to stop pirating. The measures do nothing to stop pirating at large and have a negative impact on regular gaming experience.

  10. #1929
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Look at what it lead to with Ubisoft. Of course it's okay for them to make maximum profit, but in the end, the damanged ones are for the majority, those that actually buy the games.

    The majority doesn't care for your anymore once you bought the product, unless they release further DLC down the line. Look at EA killing the old multiplayer servers for two, three years old games. The ability to put two consoles together to play co-op or normal multiplayer is dead now, it worked great with the x-box/ps2 in some cases.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  11. #1930
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    The rumored PS4 will be bundled with a new "evolutionized HD EyeToy" called Dual Camera.

    One of the new PS4 games is supposedly Killzone 4.

  12. #1931
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Country
    Romania
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Would anyone want to try some Star Wars: The Old Republic? There has been a free to play option for a while now, so if you want to check it out, let's get together and kill some

  13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #1932
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    Portugal
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,904
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Would anyone want to try some Star Wars: The Old Republic? There has been a free to play option for a while now, so if you want to check it out, let's get together and kill some
    star wars knight of the old republic? kotor? Now this brings back some good memories.. but nah cant really play it online my net sukz so much that some times i cant even get skype voice from a caller.
    campaign play and story mode play is the only option i have
    I wish i could play it though

  15. #1933
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Would anyone want to try some Star Wars: The Old Republic? There has been a free to play option for a while now, so if you want to check it out, let's get together and kill some
    Link? </lazy>
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  16. #1934
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    www.swtor.com

    Played the beta, but I don't have the time to play it again, even for free.
    Last edited by Schabrak; February 10, 2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: missing the important verb :P
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #1935
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Country
    Romania
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Games Hangout Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    star wars knight of the old republic? kotor? Now this brings back some good memories.. but nah cant really play it online my net sukz so much that some times i cant even get skype voice from a caller.
    campaign play and story mode play is the only option i have
    I wish i could play it though
    Yeah...it is a continuation of that...somewhat...it's an MMO though, and Bioware opted to make it, instead of kotor 3...kotor 2 was my favourite, I spent ages playing that game, with mods, without mods etc...

    There is a piece of news though, and Obsidian(the developers of kotor 2 and Fallout: New Vegas) are trying to get in talks with Disney owned Lucasarts, to make a new Star Wars game...if that will happen...

Thread Closed
Page 129 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts