Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The cnet128 Thread

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cnet128's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The cnet128 Thread

Well, the thread's really more for asking questions about me, but hey, what the hell, I'll give this one a shot

That's connected to the Japanese superstition that a person's personality is determined by their blood type. It's a popular superstition in Japan, to the point where manga authors who do profiles for their characters tend to give their blood group as one of their statistics.

Kabuto is apparently a type AB, which corresponds to his personality, as you would expect - AB people are supposed to be cool, controlled and rational. Type A people, however, are supposed to have more gentle, introverted, submissive personalities.

Anyway, Kabuto's comment here in chapter 302 is related to a little conversation Kabuto and Orochimaru had back in Chapter 300, when Kabuto was complaining about how his ordered collection of corpses had been messed up, and Orochimaru asked if his blood-type was A. Presumably, obsessive orderliness would also be a personality trait associated with A-types. So Kabuto's comment in 302 is just a little snide remark at Orochimaru's joking around about blood types. Logically speaking, the A-type personality does seem like the most suitable for a servant - organised and submissive. But of course, Orochimaru doesn't exactly need ordinary servants.
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Alex_melkor:
    In Japan, a person's blood type is considered an indicator of his personality.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that cnet128 had already answered this on the next page.
    Last edited by richvh; September 29, 2007 at 09:39 AM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I believe that's what I said
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, didn't notice it had been answered on the next page. Just trying to be helpful, not trying to steal your thunder.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Eheh. Yeah, I figured that was what had happened.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zwivix's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I really think that an intresting in Japanese culture.

Anyway cnet128 I got a question for you

Do you answer PM's from random people that ask for your help?

Not Accepting Projects(PM for details)

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ddadain's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

He does Lol

I PMed him randomly and he replied promptly! XD
    ¤

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It's true, I do

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Wtf! omg back when i was a newbie at translating i sent you a message and you never anwered :cry. I feel so...I dont know...

Oh well. i wonder if you still got my PM saved? If so check it out and see if you replied...

Anyway I got a question.

How did you chose the name cnet128?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah... that's true. I did never respond to that. Maybe because I thought it was a bit of a silly question. ^^; I mean, obviously if you're doing a translation of a chapter, you translate the whole thing... what would be the point in doing half a translation? ~_~

As for cnet128, well, as I mentioned in the first post of this thread, that was derived from Carlos Net, which is just a random name I came up with in my much younger days because I thought it sounded "cool". I'm less enamoured of it now, but I'm used to it, so it's stuck Random fact: The original name I came up with was actually "Karl Net". I'm glad I changed that one relatively quickly, because it just looks completely silly.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh well it was casue I saw that some of your translations where so small, but I guess some of the chapters I translated were too long, especially when i was starting out and I wanted to Spanish translate Death Note Ch 1 which has over 50 pages...

Oh woops sorry didnt really pay attention to that...A name i think that sounds cool would be Max Powers..

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, well, the first chapter of a series, and often a fair few of the early chapters, are generally quite a bit longer than the chapters you find later on. Otherwise the series would be rather slow to get started. Then they pare the chapter lengths down as the series continues until it reaches an ordinary sort of "standard" chapter length. The upshot for us translators is that translating the first chapter of a manga tends to be more of a challenge. But I enjoy it

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. I bet some people do, but thats not just for me. I take about and hour and a half to do 20 pages if I do it fast. So 50 pages what outta the question.

How long have you been translating, are you super expiereienced?( If i havent said this before I cant spell for beans )

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Super experienced? Eheh, I wouldn't say that. You only have to look in my Translator Forum to see that I made my first ever manga translation in January of this year. After that, I translated a couple of things randomly when I felt confident in my translations of them (there were a fair few more chapters that I tried to translate, but got stuck and gave up).

But I didn't start translating any manga regularly until the first chapter of Hitomi no Catoblepas was released. Checking back on the thread, apparently that was on the 19th of May. I translated that, again, pretty much as a spur-of-the-moment thing, I was happy with the result, and so I posted it. Next thing I knew, the Phase 3 scanlation group had sent me a PM, asking me to join their group and translate Hitomi regularly. I wasn't sure whether I was up to the job, but I just let them know that, and accepted anyway.

And, well, the rest is history. I started translating Hitomi every week, and enjoyed doing so... and as I did so, I started trying to translate other series that I read more often. First came Tsubasa and Holic (because, no offence to the translators in question, but I was a little dissatisfied with the existing regular translations of those series, so I challenged myself to do a better job). And then one RAW night in July, I just thought "what the hell", and I went all-out and translated every single manga that I read. It was very satisfying, and I've been translating them all ever since ^^;

Of course, Phase 3 dropped Hitomi no Catoblepas in the end, and then later on Shonen Jump dropped it too... which was a shame, but by that point it barely even mattered, because I had so many other series to translate And I still think of that first mad spur-of-the-moment translation of the first chapter of HnC as the start of my translation "career". The best part of the whole thing is still translating those first chapters whenever a new series appears in Jump.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow you've has quite a good translating story. Wow I wouldnt be able to translate all the managa I read...It would take me years just to catch up to the releases that will come out now.

New Reply
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast