Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: The cnet128 Thread

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cnet128's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The cnet128 Thread

Superficial? Oh, just a little And could you maybe stop trying to dictate my sex life? ~~

I'm in Japan for a year; the third year of my course is a study year abroad in Japan, and I and a friend of mine from my course got assigned here to Kyoto University. For the win.
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnet128 View Post
    Superficial? Oh, just a little And could you maybe stop trying to dictate my sex life? ~~
    If I was dictating it then you would have had sex by now my friend (I gots game! )! I'm just running on the momentum of other peoples comments simply for my own personal amusement. Oh and I like to call myself a realist as opposed to superficial! I'm not one to be blinded by love or anything else I've had boyfriends who I felt were ugly just that they had plenty of other attractive attributes. I don't allow such things as love or attraction or even my hobbies to cloud my vision. I look at things objectively so I can say my dad is plainly ugly as are 3 of my aunts and about 11% of my cousins.

I notice that a lot of people are much more subjective "I love you so your beautiful to me" or they allow their type to be defined by outside forces like hobbies and stuff. I'm just very different in that regard the only thing that matters to me is style you don't have to have my style just a style! I reckon You can still be attractive even if you're ugly.

Quote Quote:
    I'm in Japan for a year; the third year of my course is a study year abroad in Japan, and I and a friend of mine from my course got assigned here to Kyoto University. For the win.
    Studying abroad is a real opportunity and usually loads of fun!
    3rd year? So will you be doing your final exams this year? Do you have to do a dissertation? My friend did Japanese at SOAS and wrote her final exam in Hiragana she just never really got the whole Kanji thing even after 3 years of study, lol! (she got a 3rd degree)
    So where will you be living during your time in Japan? in student accomodation like halls or are you staying with a host family or even better your own flat type of accomodation? All of them are good in their own way you get to experience different things so whichever I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    Do you think that the gloss of being where you are will wear off? I can imagine you're still in the omg I'm in Japan stage how long do you think it'll be before that isn't special anymore?
    Like I did my study abroad in Cape Town and loved it at first beaches, weather, cool as hell people, great (cheap) food! Then I started earning money in Rands as opposed to converting pounds to rand and life got a bit harder, my job got tougher, work demands piled high and I wasn't really going to the beach and the people I spent most of my time interacting with were Bastards.
    Looking for Translators for various (all wonderful I promise) Seinen and Shounen projects PM me.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

No, no, *fourth* year will be my final year. This is just a pass/fail year where I'm essentially taking a ton of little random modules at Kyoto that have little-or-nothing to do with my course and don't contribute to it in the slightest, with the exception of the actual Japanese language modules, and in addition to that I have to carry out a horrible, horrible project for my home university back in Sheffield. (The very thought of which would probably kill me if not for the fact that at least all I have to do is pass it; it won't count towards my actual degree... Actually, the thought of it is kind of killing me regardless. That's why I try not to think about it. >_<)

I'm living in student accommodation here, more specifically one of the University's two student halls specifically for foreign students. A lot of us from the hall got together yesterday evening and went out for a meal and stuff, got to know each other, it was pretty cool. It actually turned out that one of them knew me from MangaHelpers, which was a little bit of a O_o moment

As for the newness of it wearing off, well, obviously that will happen to an extent, but I can't see it really happening, at least in the forseeable future. (Lord knows I won't be able to say I've settled in at least until I figure out how to survive here without eating out for literally every damn meal XD)
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member molokidan's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

'Twas good having yakiniku with you last night, Cnet. Hope you enjoy your stay in Kyoto Let me know if there's ever anything I can do to be of help. We gaijin must look out for each other!

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

So you have to do a project... that won't count towards your final degree? Sounds like a big old pisspile of a timewaste to me. Take my advice there is no project that you can't complete in 36 hours so last minute is the way forward! Do you HAVE to attend those classes?

Your in foreigner halls? lol, that to me is funny! I've lived in a few countries I'm not native too but the only place I ever actually felt like a "foreigner" was in scotland and that's because they are backwards -_-

How did they know you from mangahelpers? Did you do introductions and then you stood up and talked about doing manga translations online? Or have you posted a picture? (*wonders if there is even a picture thread on this site*).

Newness can wear off fast as well as Novelty. I compare it to having a huge crush on someone for a long while and then you finally get to go out with them you can be so euphoric that your dreams have come true you don't see any of their faults. After a while though they start to shine through and then that's when you either build an adult relationship and love the person faults included or you realise your dreams were overated. The worse person to be is the one who never sees the faults that just means your oblivious! I don't know if that made any sense... but yeh from my experiences that's how I would best sum it up, lol.

Oh and try to get a job! Well worth it to get a circle outside of the people you study with and get a different sense or feel for where you are.

How to survive without eating out constantly... do you know how to cook? If not can you boil a kettle?
    Looking for Translators for various (all wonderful I promise) Seinen and Shounen projects PM me.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member din_84's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi cnet,

Wow... a lot of question have been asked including the virginity..
    must be a lot of caring people would love to combat your eternal boredom.
    one of your favorite manga is fairy tail right? have u read the groove adventure rave manga? similar author as fairy tail... some character from rave also brought to fairy tail..

and the story is as much interesting as fairy tail.. too bad that series lack of love..

how's your life in japan? is it as interesting as you imagine from watching anime, jdrama, or reading manga?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

To be perfectly honest, right now it seems like it's pretty much everything I could've hoped it would be. Seriously. ^^

No, I've never read Rave, I'm afraid. Maybe I should someday... or maybe not. Whatever

To be honest, I don't know that I really have any "eternal boredom" right now, being in Japan makes every day an adventure, such that I barely have time to fit everything in XD I should probably change my sig soon. In fact, I will. Soon. Not right now, but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    So you have to do a project... that won't count towards your final degree? Sounds like a big old pisspile of a timewaste to me. Take my advice there is no project that you can't complete in 36 hours so last minute is the way forward! Do you HAVE to attend those classes?
    Well, this project involves writing and carrying out an in-depth questionnaire on tons of Japanese people, so I think it's pre~~~tty safe to say it can't be accomplished in 36 hours And yes, I do have to attend those classes, particularly since attendance here makes up a decent part of your actual grading; even if they don't actually count for anything, I don't want to completely flunk them or anything; that just wouldn't be right Besides, word has it they're all pretty easy.

Your in foreigner halls? lol, that to me is funny! I've lived in a few countries I'm not native too but the only place I ever actually felt like a "foreigner" was in scotland and that's because they are backwards -_-
    Well, I thi~nk I can say I'm most definitely a foreigner here Just a little >_<

How did they know you from mangahelpers? Did you do introductions and then you stood up and talked about doing manga translations online? Or have you posted a picture? (*wonders if there is even a picture thread on this site*).
    Nah, we all did our brief introductions and stuff, of course, but neither of us knew the other then. It was only when we were actually at the yakiniku place that manga managed to come up in conversation, and I mentioned that I translate it online as a hobby, and Dan was all like "oh, where?" and stuff, and of course once the name "cnet128" popped up he was all like "hey I know you!" ~~

Oh and try to get a job! Well worth it to get a circle outside of the people you study with and get a different sense or feel for where you are.
    Eheh. Well. Maybe in time

How to survive without eating out constantly... do you know how to cook? If not can you boil a kettle?
    Oh, I'm a terrible cook. I mean, I'm sure I can cook, given a recipe and the ingredients and the equipment and the time and all... but even back in Sheffield where I could pretty easily have got all that stuff, I just ended up, like, heating potato wedges and microwave pizza and that kind of thing, because I can never be anywhere near bothered to deal with the hassle of actually cooking proper meals. Out here where I have next-to-no equipment, ingredients are all completely unfamiliar, etc. etc, there's approximately zero chance of me ever actually really cooking anything ~~

And of course I can boil a kettle. Not that I have one, but still.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Attendance counts towards your final grade? Damn I would fail those courses so hard my uni attendance hit an all time low of 40% and that was with our novel somebody else signs my attendance for me approach -_-

You can boil a kettle? Problem solved! My cheapskate brother if he ever sends a parcel over from Japan it just has like on pack of sweets in it and then instant some type of food stuff so I'm sure you can survive by flexing you're kettle boiling and water pouring skills. From the sound of your eating habits seems like you've got the student diet on lock down.

My brother has lived in Japan for 2 years now and he still feels like a foreigner (he tells me this and then begs me to go visit him and wonders why I answer by saying I would rather poo in public ). London is full of people from many different countries but I just see them all as Londoners the only person I've ever known to call them foreigners was a bit of a twat. So I always see the term in a bad way. Would you say it has a more positive connotation? Or does it as the term implies highlight your outsider status?

The job thing is just because student life is such a lie! Like it's such an easy life and it can be so insular you meet other students you do student things you sleep a lot and have a surprising amount of free time.

Quote Quote:
    To be perfectly honest, right now it seems like it's pretty much everything I could've hoped it would be. Seriously. ^^
    The first flush of love... so cute!
    Which leads me to ask what came first the Chicken or the Egg? Or in this case did you learn Japanese because of liking manga/anime? Or did you get into manga/anime because of learning Japanese?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Networks's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Kyoto!? Really cool
    I Hope I'll go to Japan in 2010

How's your day by day?

Where are you roommates from?

How much classes do you have by day?

Quote Quote:
    How many mangas have you already bought?
    ガンバって

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in the original thread it came from but considering it was a while after you did it, I'm unsure if you saw it. I was wondering if you could explain to me the literal translation of this line from Naruto 420:

Fukasaku: You've learned to mould Senjutsu chakra... / ...and you have mastered the Way of the Frog to a certain degree. // There's one last thing I want to tell you at this point.

I've seen some translations say that he was referring to Kawazu Kumite and Senpou, while others seem to imply he was referring solely to Kawazu Kumite. So could you please explain it to me? If it's too much trouble, or if this thread isn't meant for that, I apologize for asking.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm.i want to ask you if you are willing to translate some pages from the DB3?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

London is full of people from many different countries but I just see them all as Londoners the only person I've ever known to call them foreigners was a bit of a twat. So I always see the term in a bad way. Would you say it has a more positive connotation? Or does it as the term implies highlight your outsider status?
    Well, obviously it marks you as an "outsider" (that's basically the definition of a "foreigner", surely ), but it's not necessarily negative. Indeed, it tends to mean people are more polite and friendly towards you (the whole "present your best side to the outside world" thing, along with a bit of "oh! this person is a foreigner who must know nothing about this country! we must make allowances and be as helpful as possible" mentality). The flip side is that it's supposed to be incredibly difficult to be accepted as a member of Japanese society - plenty of Japanese people will act amazed if a foreigner even speaks the language a little, so it is certainly stigmatised inasmuch as people tend to form a lot of assumptions.

Which leads me to ask what came first the Chicken or the Egg? Or in this case did you learn Japanese because of liking manga/anime? Or did you get into manga/anime because of learning Japanese?
    Well, the former, I suppose; I first encountered the language through anime. But I didn't learn the language "because" of anime or manga per se; I learned it because the language itself was so interesting (I can be a real language nut...) Being able to understand anime and manga and the like is just a bonus ^^

And as for the chicken/egg thing... obviously what came first was the chicken omelette.

Quote Originally Posted by Networks View Post
    How's your day by day?
    In a word, busy. There are all sorts of things to get done - payments and registrations and things to sort out, places to explore, things to try and things to buy, lessons to attend... and of course I have all sorts of stuff to fit into my free time as well.

Where are you roommates from?
    I don't know about "roommates", but the other people staying here at Shugakuin House are from... well, all over. We have people from Sweden, France, Austria, America, Australia... a real variety. The lingua franca is still English, though

How much classes do you have by day?
    12 classes a week, so I guess that's an average of 2.4 per day. It varies from only one class on Wednesday to four on Thursday. And each class is an hour and a half long, so that's plenty ~~

Quote Originally Posted by hills100 View Post
    hmm.i want to ask you if you are willing to translate some pages from the DB3?
    No, I'm sorry, I just wouldn't have the time ~~ I'd rather be spending any spare translation time I find right now on translations that I really want to do, like Kekkaishi.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member turok's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hello. i'm new here but i like what you do cnet. thx for translating negima, i couldn't go thinking anything without whats in the new negima chapters.

Question: Can you list some sites that can help with learning japanese? Im in high school and im taking it but i am struggling a little with it. hiragana and katanana i am 97% familiar with but not the vocab or kanji....

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, you said ask you anything,..............................

1. how much do you weight ?

2. are you black ?

3. do you know where i can find the lost treasure of...........captain sparrow?

4. why is the sky blue ?

5. would you describe how look in the mirror ?

6. i see that you are located in japan, how are the girls there....?

7. do you know a way to get manga raws like on the same day of their release (nb. if there is such a way pm me instead of posting it here, thanks).

8. is kakashi going to die ?

9. do you know the secret of life ?

10. how many fingers i'm holding up or which finger am i holding up ?
    well that's it for now..........

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by escapeejm View Post
    1. how much do you weight ?
    No idea. But not that much, I guess.

2. are you black ?
    Hell naw.

3. do you know where i can find the lost treasure of...........captain sparrow?
    In your heart.

4. why is the sky blue ?
    Because otherwise it would look weird.

5. would you describe how look in the mirror ?
    That question made no sense.

6. i see that you are located in japan, how are the girls there....?
    Hawt.

7. do you know a way to get manga raws like on the same day of their release (nb. if there is such a way pm me instead of posting it here, thanks).
    Ehm... not really...

8. is kakashi going to die ?
    Nah. Well, he will eventually. Everyone does. But not now.

9. do you know the secret of life ?
    Yeah.

10. how many fingers i'm holding up or which finger am i holding up ?
    It's a trick question. You're not holding any fingers up. You're too busy typing.

New Reply
Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast