Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The cnet128 Thread

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The cnet128 Thread

Oh, I had forgotten about this thread escapeejm's questions were quite random. But, not at the pasty virgin level sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by cnet128 View Post
    Well, obviously it marks you as an "outsider" (that's basically the definition of a "foreigner", surely ), but it's not necessarily negative. Indeed, it tends to mean people are more polite and friendly towards you (the whole "present your best side to the outside world" thing, along with a bit of "oh! this person is a foreigner who must know nothing about this country! we must make allowances and be as helpful as possible" mentality). The flip side is that it's supposed to be incredibly difficult to be accepted as a member of Japanese society - plenty of Japanese people will act amazed if a foreigner even speaks the language a little, so it is certainly stigmatised inasmuch as people tend to form a lot of assumptions.
    I know the term foreigner marks one as an outsider, this is why I never use it and view those who do use it in my locale as lite racists.
    I'm just my usual Londoner self to everybody I interact with randomnly on road, local or tourist. Which means I'm in rush and doing my best to ignore people. If I do get stopped and asked for directions or something I'm generally helpful, unless it's and American or German or Japanese tourist who has asked me then I do my moral duty as a Londoner and give them totally wrong directions.

Does that mean you want to be accepted as a member of Japanese society?

Quote Quote:
    Well, the former, I suppose; I first encountered the language through anime. But I didn't learn the language "because" of anime or manga per se; I learned it because the language itself was so interesting (I can be a real language nut...) Being able to understand anime and manga and the like is just a bonus ^^
    A language nut? So then aside from English and Japanese what other languages do you have knowledge of or interest in?
    I think I'm the only person who stopped learning Japanese after getting into manga and anime. I didn't want to be grouped in with the typical fan, the ones who as a result of liking anime/manga start to learn Japanese and go on to bum rush the culture. I have some Japanese friends who cussed them so hard I didn't want to be in the same bracket so I dropped Japanese and took up Hindi. Plus, Indian food > Japanese food, I also like indian films better and the history of the country plus nature of the people interests me no end.
    Looking for Translators for various (all wonderful I promise) Seinen and Shounen projects PM me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member turok's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn I got ignored >_>.....

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cnet128's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    Does that mean you want to be accepted as a member of Japanese society?
    *shrug* I guess it might be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    A language nut? So then aside from English and Japanese what other languages do you have knowledge of or interest in?
    Mm, well, Japanese is the only language I'm really familiar with right now. I studied German for a long time before I studied Japanese, and I loved doing that, but eventually it wore me down and I've probably forgotten most of it now

I'd love to study some of the other Asian languages like Chinese and Korean someday...

And of course I'm plenty interested in "language" itself, hence why I'm studying Linguistics

Quote Originally Posted by turok
    Damn I got ignored >_>.....
    Yeah, sorry about that, I have a nasty tendency of ignoring questions when I just can't be bothered to spend the time answering them >_<

But I'm pretty sure I've answered a fair few questions about learning Japanese over the course of this thread already, so I daresay it shouldn't be too hard to find a lot of the stuff I'd mention if I could be bothered
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quoting is tedious!
    I guess it might be nice... Do I sense indifference?

Why other not even so much asian more... "far eastern" (probably not a correct term) languages?
    My criteria in learning langauges has always been wanting to speak with as many people as is possible and to be able to go to a variety of different countries and be able to communicate. Plus, tasty food, I could never study the language of a nation that didnt have god damn tasty food!

Do you have any type of criteria in languages you may pick to study in the future or that influenced you picking Japanese?

Lastly, how's the social life going in Japan? Are you of legal drinking age?
    Looking for Translators for various (all wonderful I promise) Seinen and Shounen projects PM me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member turok's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i understand but I keep forgetting what they are called. and forget to bookmark.
    KanjiGold rules though a far as learning kanji.

Question:AP (any history) class, u ever took it?(its hell T_T)
    Last edited by turok; November 05, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: no comment

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Draco1988's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

cnet, chap 232 of Negima, from page 4-5, I believe that the shota is not the hellas-princess. yet, it seems that in your translation, you assume that the boy in Crimson Wing is the hellas-princess.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Draco1988 View Post
    cnet, chap 232 of Negima, from page 4-5, I believe that the shota is not the hellas-princess. yet, it seems that in your translation, you assume that the boy in Crimson Wing is the hellas-princess.
    Too late, I already edited out that silly mistake
    The cnet128 Thread - Ask me anything. No, seriously. Do. It'll help combat my eternal boredom.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Don KalleOne's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: The cnet128 Thread

Well a GREAT thank you for ur Translations.
    Im pretty sure that a bunch of series will die or will be delayed if u didnt post the trans (like MSN)
    SO THXALOT
    Can anyone upload these??-->Need Neo Genesis Vol 9 and 10 (Manga)

BAKKA KEKKEI GENKAI - DRUNKEN FISTDANCE
    IM BAD AT BEING GOOD, BUT GOD AT BEING BAD

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

hello,

I'm wondering if you could check and correct this: bleach vol16 chap134 p4
    byakuya says:"this isn't the first time senpai has lost his superoir due to to senpai's inability.is it not?"
    I wonder if it's really right.

I'd be grateful if you could translate that line again.
    thank you so much.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, here's how I'd translate the conversation between Byakuya and Ukitake in that chapter.

Ukitake: Byakuya!! // It's terrible! // Kuchiki's sentence has been -

Byakuya: I am aware. A Hell Butterfly brought me the news only moments ago.
    Ukitake: I see! Then that makes things quicker -
    Byakuya: However... // I cannot see why this is cause for alarm.
    Ukitake: ............... // ...What?
    Byakuya: The execution is set for tomorrow. / If that is the decision which has been made... // ...then naturally, I will follow it. // Please do not bother me with such trivial matters in future. // Excuse me.
    Ukitake: ...Wh...

Ukitake: Why, you...! // There are some things that you don't joke about, all right?! // How long do you mean to keep on spouting this nonsense?! // We're talking about tomorrow! / Don't you get it?! // At noon tomorrow, your own sister is going to... // ! // *cough* / *cough* // *cough*...!!
    Byakuya: ...Calm down. / You're only shortening your own life, Ukitake. // You have allowed a subordinate to die before your own eyes once before, have you not? // ...What difference will a second or a third time make?

Byakuya: ...At any rate, / she is first and foremost a member of my family. // It is none of your business whether she lives or dies. // I would advise you to avoid... // ...taking any rash actions.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. That's very kind of you .

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Draco1988's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

cnet, I PMed you last night ^___^
    waiting for your reply...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nightthorn's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It's probly been asked before in this post but i idindt see cos i got to page 5 and got bored :L so i'm Gonna ask whats your favourite top 5 manga and why?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, cnet! Long time reader, first time...poster? Eh, whatever.

First off, thanks for all the awesome translation; I'm a big fan of your Negima work in particular.

Anyway, QUESTION TIME:

1. I'm in the middle of my second semester of Japanese, and have finally hit the "WTF, Way Too Many Goddamn Conjugations?!" roadblock. Any tips on study techniques?

2. I'm thinking about Studying Abroad at Kansai Gaidai for a semester next year, but I'm not sure if I'll be prepared enough, language-wise. How long had you been learning the language when you first went to Japan?

3. What languages did you study before you became interested in Japan? I took three semesters of Spanish and one of French, and have already managed to forget nearly everything. During Japanese 111, I got tripped up by my residual Spanish; I couldn't decide if "kasa" meant "house" (Spanish!) or "umbrella" (Japanese!).

4. How long have you been studying Japanese? When were you first able to read (let alone translate) Japanese in books, manga, games, etc.?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I wouldn't ask me for study techniques if I were you... I can't study seriously to save my life. I just get by on natural aptitude, I'm afraid ~~

2. I'd been learning Japanese full-time at university for two years when I first came out here last October. But there are people here who came out with all sorts of levels of Japanese, including next to none, and they all seem okay enough, so... *shrug*

3. German. Plenty of German. Took it at school for the full what, seven years? and then even signed up to take German along with Japanese at university before I got sick of the damn language and more so of the course, so I switched abruptly to Japanese and Linguistics and haven't looked at a German text since ~~ I neither know nor particularly care whether I've forgotten most of what I learned...

4. Been studying seriously since September-ish '06; that's when I started university. I did take an evening class before that, though, and I was somewhat familiar with the language before then, too, thanks to researching it myself quite a bit on the internets for fun. Translated my first manga chapter in January '07, so about halfway through my first year of university, but I know I wasn't confident in my ability back then. Indeed, I remember in May of that year, which was when I first took on the responsibility of translating a series weekly, I was really nervous that I just plain wouldn't manage; that I'd get stuck and just not be able to translate a chapter. Thankfully, that didn't happen. (Though I do like to think I've come a long way since then ^^;; )

New Reply
Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast